the Rift

Sounds an Echo in my Soul [Archi?/open]

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

PALADIN
The sound of iron shocks is stuck in my head

Lithe and muscular legs carried him back once more to the Foothills, like the Tides, years ago, he found that his heart moved him back beneath the shadow of the mountain. What about his soul attached itself to the land? Was it his gender that drove him to make a permanent home? Was it is personality? Paladin did not know, but he did know that he needed to become a part of something once more. Existing on his own and existing as a lead did not work out in his favor, and he hoped that the bonds he had forged in blood and battle did not grow thin in his absence.

The black dun stallion had always felt displaced, out of sorts since Isilme had burned in the rage of shadows. And it seemed that the more he tried to make his life work, the more it fell apart. Perhaps what he needed was to just follow his soul wherever it lead his hooves, to be a good father and a good mate. To be a loyal and excellent subject and aide to a group, something bigger than himself and his own goals. The smells of the Foothills in Birdsong was familiar. A sweetness hung on the grass, and the sound of the brook was soothing.

Practiced hooves slid easily over stone and rock, and he finally paused, inhaling the calmness of the air here. Paladin did not want to push his boundaries though, so he respectfully remained on the fringes, leaning beneath a tree had had once leaned against when he had challenged for leadership. What a disaster that had been. Paladin frowned a little, still able to feel the way his scarred, facial skin stretched when he switched his muzzle or blinked his eyes.

"Archibald?" he called in the distance. "Or Evers? Whomever leads this place!" The great stallion's deep tenor rang out through the mountains, but instead of its normal boldness, it held a certain, aged softness.

[OOC: Paladin wants to rejoin, if that's okay. Or at least discuss :) ]

Jackal2 the King of Thieves Posts: 71
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 ½ :: 3 years
zz

Dei lounges lazily on a back stroked by wine, a languid sun caressing his metallic scales while the dun stallion underneath him grazes peacefully. The grass is tender and sweet, and its chlorophyll stains his velvet lips like bloodstains on a warrior's hide. There is peace, but for a moment; in the frenzy of his leadership, he has forgotten how to find sanctum within the world - he has forgotten how to pick up the scattered pieces of himself. But today, with springtime warming his back and saccharine forage on his tongue, he is at one with this charmed world.

Jackal raises his head slowly, allowing a balmy spring breeze to thread its fingers through his mane; it is warm, and it feels like summer on his rosy spotted skin. The wind brings tidings of something else, though, and the King of Thieves tilts an ear back warily. The scent is dusty and masculine, and it dances through his nasal passages like rancid water. He shoves his dark nose forward, soft nostrils flaring. Is it another invader, wanting to avenge that idiot mare Svetlana? Dei's wings unfurl as the dun eases into a brisk trot - leather beats against air, and the bronze soars upwards on a fast current, tracing the foreign smell with his keen nose.

Slender, feathered limbs amble over gently sloping terrain, until the treeline begins to thicken with pines, and the smell of strangers is everywhere. In the distance, he finds a dark form reclining against a tree; when he speaks, his voice is low and gentle, as if it had weathered the beginning of time. Jackal's face softens into something that resembles inquiry, swirling quicksilver eyes apprehensive. There is something familiar about him; he carries himself like a warrior, proud and tall despite his years. "Stranger," the appaloosa calls toward the oddly colored dun, strides lengthening. The pale mane and tail and the crimson eyes recall a childhood friend, a starry night in a forbidden place. Ktulu; he has fond memories of that girl and her ruby eyes. He wonders where she is - would she believe that he, the colt who dealt with his grievances by running, could assume the position of usurper?

As the black becomes closer, Jackal slows, a cautious expression fixed on those liquid mercury eyes. "I am Jackal, third leader of the triumvirate," he says slowly, drawing the words out like a winning deck. "What is your business at our border? Do you wish for a home?" He pauses, the question hanging between them like stale air.
thewhitestdogalive @ flickr

Deceased
Tamme

PALADIN

Stranger. Paladin cannot help but smile as he narrows his eyes slightly, scrutinizing the young buck in front of him. The aged wine and sunny orange was unmistakable with those bright, white spots. The black dun recognized the colt to be Jackal, the same one who had played with his daughters when they were but children. Though he knew he had no play in the foal's life, the stallion could not help but be proud of the tall and filled out young male before him, and he nodded. Still, the word stranger hung on his mind rather closely. Was he a stranger to these lands, truly?

The older stallion could not help but chuckle just a little, and he nodded. "I was once a lead of these lands, and it was I who installed the Triumvirate of which now serve," he replied with a kind smile. Paladin realized then that the youth of this land often did not have long memories. A historian was desperately needed to educate all about their ancestors and the choices of those before. Paladin wondered then what happened to the half-tree, Willow. She was a strange and beautiful creature with a soul nearly as stunning as her unique appearance.

Paladin regarded the boy and his dragon for a moment, weighing his question. "I would like the opportunity to be a part of a group again," he replied. "After leading the Tides, I tried that here and found that there were better, stronger leaders than I. During the elections I gave up my position in the herd to find myself, I suppose. I am returning, with your permission of course." The black dun stood peacefully, one back leg tilted in a resting position. The scars from his battle with Gossamer were just dark, mangled skin now, hairless, but his crimson eyes burned every on.

"I am an experienced warrior, should you need a body to train the new warriors, but I also know much about this land. I was here since its inception and in the Foothills nearly as long." Paladin recalled his time among these trees, near the beautiful mountains. They were fond memories, but tainted with the ache of his own heart and the loss of his friends in the land of shadows.

Abdullah Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Abdullah

That scent, that unmistakable scent of a family member drove me forward. It seems we are such a quiet herd that any stirring about drives my hooves forward for company. So lonely I seemed, off on my own. Stirring mud and dust around the borders as I make my travels between the pretty scenery of my home. Waiting for an opportunity to prove my worth under my new rank. It seems so fitting for my being. My whole standing in what I believe and strive for. I am unsure though, the intentions of my leaders. There are three of them, not one... not two... three and they are all males. To my last knowledge though, it was Svetlana, and two males. But those words that graced my ears were that of a new chief. In place of her. I am sure of this, for Jackal was not a name I recalled in my meetings between others.

I step from between a tree and boulder, surely they had caught the smell of me and simply seen me from before hand. My neck is craned at a respectful and proud state, perfect for my breed. Moving forward with intent and sky blue eyes locked on them both, a beautiful smile placed firmly upon my lips. I look each of them over. One is a unique red dun, don't get me wrong, I've seen such before but he was dappled with some unique appaloosa marking. Perfectly fitting for such a graceful and muscular body. The thing that popped the most was white scarring, not the usual disgusting scars like that of the blacks, but these are fitting into his colors and almost seem to blend. It was only the tiny line between the color that gave away a scar. I stop before the two, placing a good amount of distance between our trio meeting.

Looking upon the black now, I notice his is a dun. Perfectly explained by the white primitive markings, but once again it was so unusual. It didn't quite seem realistic enough, perhaps that was the purpose of a unicorn. To be mythical and borderline alive. I can not judge though, that is not my place. We are all the same in soul. Some say soul and mind but they are beyond wrong. The mind of one could not simply be alike. A soul is bound to the same afterlife. A cloudless life of grey before you re-enter the world as something new, someone new. My head dips in greeting to the two as my eyes finally fix themselves to the blacks horn. White and tipped red, almost as if he had dipped the piercing bone into blood. It was sickening to my stomach, so intimidating I could almost feel my heart jumping through my chest. Vomit crawling up my throat. I quivered beneath that lovely dappled coat of mine, invisible waves of tension rolling from my side. He did not make me nervous by simply being, no offense intended, a bone head. It was the fact his bone was memory finding red.

I shuffle my pace away from his stranger smell and seem to lean towards my king more, I did not know Jackal but it was sure he was family. A bond between the members of one unit. Maybe he did not feel it but I felt comfort in him compared to a stranger. Compared to someone I knew not in intentions. No, I can't say that. I do not know either of their intentions but even with my lack of trusting, I can surely put my little amount of hope in Jackals hooves. Planting my safety in his legs. "Greetings to you both," my eyes shift to Jackal, then back to the dun "I'm Abdullah, a diplomat here." elegant tones crawled through the air. Gently creeping to the blacks white tipped ears. I hoped my greeting did not fall on deaf and bloody ears. His scars were such reminders of a, easily judged, past.

Hidden Account
zz

The older stallion recalls something - silky sands and salty ocean breezes. Jackal smiles, nodding slowly to his words, "Paladin the Valiant," he remembers soundlessly, the sea's deafening roar dancing in his ears. He led the Moonlit Tides when Jackal was a babe, a thrall to his parents, squealing at his dam's tit for nourishment. The memories threaten to drown the King of Thieves, and he thrashes and flails for air. "My father was your healer, when the Tides was under your ward," he says, voice thick with the vibrant recollections of his youth - a snatch of kind silver eyes, a pulsating blue rune; the call of his mother's dragon, the softness of her voice. He shakes his head, driving those memories away; they are cherished dearly, but have no place in the heart of a leader.

The Valiant seeks a home within his borders, his words gentle. "Of course you may reside with us," the red dun says, eyeing the scars and imperfections of his dark hide - will he become that way, tattered and ruined and proud? He gives the older stallion an elated look that spread from his wide warm eyes and down to to his grin. "We are proud to receive you, Valiant," may you spin fables within our borders.

Their meeting is interrupted when a grey equine mare arrives, and the bronze dragon resting on his back announces her arrival with a squack. Jackal cannot remember a name, but he has seen her often. He bestows her with a gentle nod, smiling silver eyes dancing across her dappled hide. She clings to him, shying from the stranger before them, but she is unafraid. "Abdullah," he says merrily, winking at her playfully. "This is Paladin the Valiant - a living legend." The appaloosa angles himself toward the sprawling green plain. "The border is no place for conversing friends," Jackal decides, beginning the march toward the Foothills' heart, wondering vaguely if Paladin knows the whereabouts of his parents.

Jackal feels as if he is living another life.
thewhitestdogalive @ flickr

Deceased
Tamme

PALADIN

Paladin's brows furrowed deeply when the boy mentioned a truth that he had only wondered in the corners of his dreams. The stallion's chest filled with sorrow, emotion so thick that it threatened to drown him. He grit his teeth in response, body tensing, for warriors responded to emotion like they did a threat. "Silverline," he murmured gruffly, averting his eyes from the boy's silver gaze that was so much like his dear friend's. "I was unable... to save everyone," he replied thickly, deep voice like a growl. "Silverline was a dear friend, and I regret every day that I could not find him midst the shadows. I stayed there as long as I could." The crimson gaze openly looked upon the boy's sorrow and apology written on every scarred line of his face. "I am sorry."

Who was the child's mother? The black dun was surprised when the red colt decided to still allow him into the herd. He did not hold Paladin responsible for his father's disappearance, but the crimson stallion knew that he would never be able to forgive himself. The stallion dipped his head to the new leader, knowing that he did not even possess such ability to forgive. "Thank you for granting me refuge," he replied. "I will do my best in whatever position my personage is called for."

Soon, the scent of another becomes clear, and keen, crimson orbs seek out the grey equine with practiced ease. The Valiant was a learned fighter, well accustomed to having to know the whereabouts of every living thing, lest he be killed in his sleep. A dark past followed the Valiant wherever he roamed, and his two sisters were a perfect example of how, even in his darkness, he had chosen a lighter path. Giselle and Psyche were monsters, creations of years of physical abuse, being forced into battle that they all to eagerly ran in to. Paladin had done so too, leading a force of warriors until...

Enough of that. The grey seemed cordial enough, but he could see the tell tale signs of sweeping eyes as they moved over his scars. Even his mane refused to grow back completely, being stuck in a brush like a colt's. Paladin was forgiving. He knew his appearance was born of his wicked line. Even his children carried that black and crimson taint, the wicked red eyes. Well, except for his youngest; he looked much more like his mother, and for that, Paladin was grateful. A cordial smile crossed his scarred lips, and he dipped his head respectfully to the mare. "A diplomat is an important and honored position," he complimented. "Your title gives away your skills and manners, Abdullah. It is my pleasure to meet you." The stallion had an interesting way of talking, like his words were taken from an older age.

Abdullah Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Abdullah

Putting my care within Jackal's presence was a weakness I was used to showing. Being alone I was stronger and a better use to be a sturdy pole with the bare minimum of intimidation. It was only when others were around that I found myself sprawling out in a relaxation I should not know. My hope and remaining kindness just pouring from a waterfall through my chest and beating from my heart. If someone else was around, someone who seemed easily trust able, I would leave my care to them. Perhaps this is far from a correct act but it seemed so useful and calming to let my nerves uncoil, to release my laid back character and the happiness or boasting of life behind my eyes. Even with this living legend's presence as a very intimidating feature, I was not pressed into action to keep him with questions and concern. His eyes were a bloody crimson that could crawl behind your smile and wickedly turn it to a frown but behind those eyes I could feel something more from him.

I do not know of his past, or how he used to be but if I did, it would conclude the lust for knowledge about all his scars. Though I do find him a handsome being, his setbacks were that of a battled hide and terrible mane. Such made him seem rugged and edged with bitter disdain. Beneath his spiraled horn was a familiar stripe. The stripe of my father. I quiver with memories. He was never a man who felt pride in such a useless daughter, I've had days close to being beat to death. I remember the day I began to limp, my right cannon so sore with hate. I forgive to easily because to this day, I never remember such a fault in him I look beyond that fault and remember him as a disappointed father. Not someone who beat me because of his dislike.

Knowing he did not mean it was the easiest thing for me to believe, though I know he knew what he was doing, I don't believe he ever meant to harm me. His loves was apparent even behind the fuming gases. Like the fumes held beneath the surface of my kings dragon. That bronze a reminder of the beautiful nature. My mind is taken from this wandering as I place my facial features in a curling smile as the companions bonded winks to me. For a moment I felt warm inside, useful and worth any trouble. His playful moment hit a spot within my aging heart. It was such a wonderful feeling. As Paladin began to speak I moved my eyes from the kings silver to his own crimson. The Valiant's head bows respectfully and I cannot help but feel flattered. He is wonderfully mannered and I find him a rather kind being beyond what his outer shell says. "Thank you, Valiant."

Pretty much a simply return of words but I couldn't quite summon anything else. I was lost in the excitement of reality, not everyone who looks evil is such. Maybe his scars were well earned and wonderfully accepted. Or maybe they were an old reminder of why he should be who he is now, I can understand that mindset. I am who I am, a forgiver because I do not want to be like the rest. Like my father and his father before him. Or perhaps the rest of the kingdom and their chaotic lives of judging and being so wound up tight with hatred and unsure visions. One of the kings voices cuts the air as he turns to venture into the Foothills further. His gesture is followed by my own. I move my cranium to Paladin, in an inviting motion of sideways cocks to push his attention to follow. Placing each of my black hooves and that one creamy colored thing off after Jackal. Perhaps my white sock was my only fault in beauty. If it wasn't for that painting I would be a pure thing. My reflection would be wonderful.

Hidden Account
zz

There is a flicker of sadness behind the old warrior's eyes; the face of unbearable burden, guilt beyond his years. Jackal finds his heart wrenching at the Valiant's blame and shakes his head softly at the regret in the elder dun's voice. "It's not your fault," he says, low and consoling. What could Paladin do but save his family - it is an unfair charge upon such a gallant man. Lips curl into a smile, small and amicable. They told him to run in the most frantic of voices; he almost could not recognize them. The child had been born in a time of peace underneath the shade of a palm, and his first days had seen peace and happiness. Jackal shifts, the smile slipping into a grim line. He ran with their commands echoing in his head, driven by the frenzy of blood and their frantic voices rising above the din. "No one could do anything," he adds absently, an afterthought, bitterness dancing in his eyes like so many shades.

Paladin's voice breaks the bedlam of his anamnesis, and a grateful grin breaks the solemn cast of his face. "It's a pleasure to receive you," he declares, watching with approval as Adbullah graciously receives the warrior's compliment.

As they begin to walk, Jackal cannot help but trace the scars on the black's body. If his own dusty skin is like a nebula of spots and scars, the Valiant's is like a whole universe, dark and deep. His mane is lopped off, with a feeble crest of red-fringed white growing in. Ktulu resembles her sire greatly, although her mane is not tipped in blood, and her hide is not as tattered. The dun has fond memories of her, although he doubts she will remember him in the haze of youth. The appaloosa swings his head toward the warrior, a glint of nostalgia in his silver eyes. "Do you know how Aërwen fared?" It had been years and years since that fabled day, but he could not help but harbor some curiosity in the demise of his orange-eyed mother. His striped hooves continue on, playing the green terrain with unmatched cadence.

dierdre-t

random table change~ if the all-caps text is annoying, just tell me xP