the Rift

Spar II [Kri]

Ázzuen the Ardent Posts: 94
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8
Whit

The stallion had been pushing himself recently. He had been yearning for another test, a challenge, something to take his mind off the troubles of politics and leading a band of soldiers. The stallion lost himself in his physical activity, most days were spent drenched in sweat, and sometimes blood if he was not careful enough.

He was in a different mode, one where he saw nothing but targets, targets that needed to be defeated before he could move on to the next. His magic was on edge, itching to be used, his spear in his mouth, twirling artistically - like a deadly paintbrush being wielded by a painter trained to kill.

It was mid-afternoon. The sun did not look to be setting any time soon. A light breeze allowed his wings to still be useful in giving him altitude, the cool zephyrs of spring giving him a refreshed outlook, despite spending the morning working on his endurance. It was time to work on his agility - only he was bored of dodging inanimate obstacles.

A deep call rang out, echoing across the Thistle Meadow, asking, almost demanding for a partner to test themselves against him. A crooked grin split his lips, as he awaited who may come. Eyes of electric yellow sparked with restrained magic, as he did his best to exercise patience and eagerness to get on with the spar.

[ 800 word maximum.
2 attack posts each, plus closing defence to the first attacker.
2 week time limit on replies unless in the case of absence.
Setting is Thistle Meadow, mid-afternoon, sunny day with a light breeze.
VP will be awarded to the winner.
Magic and companion use is allowed.
This is a Teaching Spar, where Boom is going to teach Whit how to fight. ]

larfsalot.deviantart.com

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

KRI the resolute
one cannot stop the wind from blowing, nor refuse the falling rain.

A familiar baritone on the winds changes my course. I recognized that frenzied tone, seeking for a scuffle to test the strength of one's body. With a smile tugging on my hardened lips, I set forth toward the meadow, falling on a natural thermal to save my strength for the artful manipulation I would likely impose upon the wind during this exercise with my long standing General. Azzuen, brother to a stallion I would dare to call my own without any bloodties, was a warrior to be respected. Because he had always followed my lead valiantly, never questioning me as others might, we had never actually been given the opportunity to spar with each other.

The thought of a new opponent, one strong and worthy of my time, set my heart to race faster, and by the time my dark eyes catch sight of the massive black wings, I am nearly giddy with excitement just as he. My wings curve, bringing be down toward the earth where Azzuen stood waiting for any opponent, blessed by the art of flight or locked to the ground. I let loose a call from my own lips, spilling across the meadow to announce my presence before setting myself on a course he could defend against. My wings fold, closer to my side, and I straighten my body to shoot like an arrow downward, bending my legs so that my knees, not the sharp edges my hooves could be, are aimed toward the large barrel of my comrade. There was no need to spill the blood of my general; a few healthy bruises would do well enough. When I am close, I begin to call out to him.

"Need a partner?" I ask with a grin, before our bodies may or may not collide with a smack of flesh before I swoop on, inviting him to come dance in the sky with me and spread his wings. The beauty of fighting in the air was to be free in movement. The ground restrained so many options, but the in the air, every inch was turf for you to hoof, your stage fluid and free with your body. In the air, you could really test just how agile you were.
""

[ 1/3; WC: 388; Magic 0/2 ]

[ OOC; Not much to comment on here.
I assumed Azzuen was on the ground, as I don't think it was really clearly stated... but knowing this was made for an open fight first and not just an aerial fight made me think he was. So Kri swoops down, bending her knees to ram his barrel. She would pass over him and set back for the sky because aerial fights are funnn.
I usually have Kri fight with "restraint" when she is doing training spars or the like, as she doesn't really see sense in injuring her allies. xP That is why her legs are curved instead of extended.

The ram is a pretty basic opening move, and one that comes with minimal risk of injury if Azzuen defends with force. ]

Ázzuen the Ardent Posts: 94
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8
Whit

Wing beats pounded against the ears of the stallion. It was subtle, at first, easily mistaken for the gentle wind that rustled his feathers, feathers that were folded against his flanks as he stood in the middle of the Meadow, awaiting whomever may come. The call that tumbled through the winds surprised him, at first. Eyes rolled about their cases, searching the skies for the maw of the chocolate mare that had trumpeted said call, the mare whom he had dedicated his battle prowess to. It was surely fitting that they should be pitted against each other, on friendly terms, testing the other out. They saw the world in similar hues, they had held their positions of power within the Throat since their successful invasion. They had aided another herd in invading, and now held strong ties with them. Together, they had accomplished so much.

Why hadn't they done this sooner?

Happiness echoed through the exuberant baritone that returned the call of the mare, though it was neglectful of him to do so - as his mouth gaped open, the spear which he twirled so effortlessly fell to the ground. It was well enough, for he would not need to use the silver-pointed weapon in this battle, though the distraction took precious seconds of his time. He should have known better than to take his eyes off her for a second, for with a swiftness hinted at him by the increasing wind, Azzuen snapped his head back up in time to see his leader swooping him. Shit! was the thought that tumbled haphazardly through his crown, as he scrambled forward - though it was not in time to completely miss the impact of knees against flesh. As his steps dragged him forward, Kri's flight path crossed the soft, muscular flesh of his rump, skittering his hips to the right, as she impacted him upon his left side.

The bruises would ache, but the fact that his hips were able to swing away with the impact meant lesser damage was dealt than if the move had struck his barrel. Kri packed a hefty punch - something he had always known yet never experienced himself, and he was glad to unfurl his wings and push himself to the skies so that she wouldn't see him limp from the lapse of judgement. Limbs forced him onwards as fast as they could scramble his balance back together, the meadow providing easy traction, the breeze filling his wings with the necessary lift to allow his athletic chassis to once more take to the air. The spear was left behind but not forgotten - he would collect it later.

Chasing her down, like a cat chases a mouse, he as always, noted their similar builds, their fierce personalities, their matching warrior's prides. With a grin he hoped to angle his flight in behind her own, though there were a few horse-lengths still between them, and he was not sure whether she had recovered from her swooping dive at him, or whether she was preparing her next assault upon his body - if he knew her, which he thought he did, well enough, she was probably doing both.

The air hummed with static then, as the stallion called upon the magic that he was born with. Dreadlocks stood on end, though when in flight, it hardly made a difference between wingbeats and thermals tugging at the knotted strands. He focussed upon his leader, and with practised accuracy and efficiency, he aimed his ability at her sight - hoping to steal it, nullify it, render it completely dysfunctional. No sooner had he done this, did he proceed to increase his wingbeats, and heave himself closer, swallowing the distance between them, so that he may lay a physical blow upon her cocoa hide.

Teeth reach out from behind charred lips as he aims at her rump, angling his flight higher in hopes that her dangling hindlegs would not strike out at him, using the very powerful muscles he was attempting to bruise against him. As he did this, he pushed forward again with his broad wingspan, his chest likely to connect with the back of her thighs, disrupting her aerial balance, or otherwise, just upsetting her enough to make her pull a stupid move, one that would allow him to rise victorious from this meeting.

[726 words.
Magic: 1/2.
Azzuen skitters forwards and to the side as a result of her sky-ram, then proceeds to take flight and follow Kri.
Uses his magic to steal her sight, so that he can get close to her. Reaches out to bite her rump and chest-ram her from behind to knock her off balance. ]

larfsalot.deviantart.com

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

KRI the resolute
one cannot stop the wind from blowing, nor refuse the falling rain.

The slip of his spear from his mouth aided in a distraction from my approach, which was just as well. I had not intended stealth, announcing my presence and tossing away any possibility of surprise. Still, I smirk at how easily the General lowered his barricade around me. The trust built between the two or us had taken time, but now like true soldiers we view the members of our parties with nothing other than blind trust. While this might be considered dangerous by many, I found that working together with another who held no suspicion for you nor you for them made any task easier, especially in battle when there were enough bastards after your throat. I knew Azzuen well enough to know his guard would not have been so quickly shed in unfriendly company.

Instead of what another opponent would consider stupidity, I find it to be fondness that warms my heart, even as I shoot my body downward to take advantage of his momentary blindness to my movements and strike his flesh.

Quick reflexes save Azzuen's barrel from a full blow, luckily, as his ever changing eyes catch me in their peripherals and leave him to shoot forward, escaping not entirely unscathed, as my knees rock hard against his rump and cause a joyous laugh to spill from my lips. The jarring of my knees was not noticed in my glee, though I passively felt his body shoved by my momentum toward the right. "That's one for me!" I call behind me, already shooting past the stallion still trapped upon the ground, heading back to the sky from which I arrived. I drag my wings a little, wanting the stallion to be able to catch me before I sailed too far ahead of him in the sky. The black expanse of his wings surpasses that of my smaller chocolate pair, a testimony to his lineage, though I had never met Naryl. It takes only a few moments before I hear the whistle of another pair of wings behind me.

A devilish smile takes hold of my lips.

I prepare for my next move, taking advantage of my supreme comfort within the skies. My wings tilt in the air, nearly vertical, catching the air and slowing my pace rapidly but also dropping me in altitude. It is then that the blindness begins to take me. First like tiny black circles in my vision, I can see the clouds, the blue sky, the sun at my right. Then, suddenly, like someone had covered the sun in a thick blanket, there is nothing. It was strange, to be caught blind in the air, and a moment of panic reigns in my chest as I straighten my wings, a few feet lower in the sky than I had been seconds before. I let out a snort, catching my courage before it slips out from under me like my sight. There were no mountains near for me to face-plant into, only the open sky. I was safer here in the sky than I would be on the ground. I did not need to see, for my attack has already been laid out. I had a plan. I would not lose my resolve.

The snapping of teeth catches the strands of my falling tail, and I let out a relieved breath. The sharp pain of lost hair serves a purpose better for me than for Azzuen. I have found the cat who thought me a mouse without the gift of sight. Calling upon the wind which was always present in my midst, I shoot upward, vaguely left. I wish not to send myself flying into Azzuen's legs only to have my blind eyes clobbered into a state more useless than their current one. I aim blindly to push upon his massive left wing, sending his path of flight careening off into the clouds. The brunt of his chest would meet my right wing, if his flight continued in the straight fashion I expected, the attack he had launched turning me effectively sideways, but having little pain associated with it. I continue upward, hopeful that I would strike true even if I could not see. Should my head meet the brush of feathers, I would kick out with my legs gently toward his left side just to aid him in spinning, while I recuperated my sight - if it could be regained.
""

[ 2/3; WC: 772; Magic 0/2 ]

[ OOC; I loved the beginning of this post. It was so very derpy Azzuen. I like how you justified him taking a rather obvious attack by distraction, as it is more realistic than just allowing Kri to hit him in the side when he saw her coming.

My first critique comes for his magic use. It is written well, but to be honest, it seems a bit useless. Azzuen continues to aim to attack her from behind, where she would not necessarily see him coming anyway. I think that you threw away this use of magic, really, because it neither hurt not helped you during this post. Remember that judges count off for bad uses of magic, so try to keep from unnecessary tack-ons that do little to help you. You still have two attack posts left, but only one magic use. What happens if Kri catches Azzuen in a tough spot, and you have no more uses to wiggle him out of it?
I'm more reserved when it comes to magic use, but I would suggest avoiding using it unless it's necessary for your attack or as a defense.

You did well in describing and fleshing out Azzuen's attack, but I am kind of wondering why you chose to go for the back of a horse. x3 You did mention protection against kicking, but try to keep in mind that during aerial flight, movements are a lot quicker and fluid. It would have been easy to have Kri re-position herself to kick out at Azzuen's chest or forelegs, which is no good! I aso had a problem because Kri was blind! You could have attacked her anywhere, but you choose an area that could be problematic. This attack would be useful against a ground-bound opponent, though, so don't discount it entirely. ^^

The first half of your post is very Azzuen, as I said. It was humorous and cute, as well as pact with emotional words. The second half felt dry and mechanical, which happens to me a lot when I get to describing movements and stuff. Just make sure you continue to touch base with Azzuen's feelings and thoughts throughout the post. You can get a lot of extra points just from keeping in touch with your character! :D

Overall, this was a fantastic fight post, and my only critiques were minor. There were no glaring errors that I would definitely beat you for as a judge. xP

Here's the skinny on Kri's attacks/defenses.

I had this plan that she would drop below Azzuen and then shoot up and attack his wing, trying to knock him off balance. The blindness complicated things a little, but ultimately I figured that she would be able to hear his wing beats. The bite that Azzuen launched catches her tail, which I used to completely ground her being able to locate Azzuen even though she was blind. I aim for his left wing, saying she would kick out at his side if she manages to catch it. I had Azzuen's chest ram hit on her right wing, which flips her sideways instead of facing the same general direction of Azzuen. Her back should now be facing his left side, and her butt would be dangling somewhere around his legs (hint, hint c;).

That's all I have. ]

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
3 weeks have passed, default win to Kri.