the Rift

White Blank Page [Hunting/RE]

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud
[Image: 50bfc82451215]

PHAEDRA

The thistle meadow was dead north from the Veins, and the flight didn't take long. For Phae, it felt like it took hours; she had flown protectively in circles around the small chick, constantly checking to make sure that its fragile youthful wings were still holding in steady in the air. She marvelled at how a creature so young, could be capable of flight already, but then again, she was able to at a young age as well, she just couldn't remember it. "Stella?" She said, testing the same out, and finding that she liked the way it sounded on her lips. "I spy dinner".

Phaedra glided gently towards the ground, landing softly with Stella following suit. She had seen these birds before, and new that they ate small mammals and even tortoises at this age, but that when she was older, eating a gazelle or other medium-size creature would not be out of the question. Luckily, Phae only needed to provide small-sized nourishment. The only problem was, Phae was a flighty thing, and had little to no experience hunting or tracking whatsoever. She looked down at the small creature, and all doubt faded from her mind. She would not let this young thing, down.

Unsure of how to proceed, Phae looked out across the meadow, letting her gaze relax to try and catch movements, rather than focusing on anything specific. Out of the corner of her eye, she spied movement on the top of a small mound of dirt. It appeared to be some sort of rodent. Prairie dog? Her mind offered. Whatever it was, she was after it. Phae spread her wings to add buoyancy to the light trot she picked up. The creature dumbly watched her trot towards it, seeming to beckon her closer before threatening to vanish. But Phae didn't spy a hole in the soft earth....Picking up the pace, Phae launched herself, aiding her pounce with her wings, hoping to crash down on the soft mound, and the rodent which stood atop it.

I did my best, it wasn't much.
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you.
And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

HP: 45.5

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
The prairie dog is wise to attacks from above and darts away before you wound it.

[0/5]

Deceased

PHAEDRA

Phae hit the soft earth, sending a cloud of dust into the air. Excitedly, she sprung up, looking under her hooves. Nothing. Fear crept into the back of her mind suddenly, and with vigour. What if I can't do this? She looked at the chick, who was staring back at her expectantly. Phae flattened her ears against her skull. No. The God had put her on a challenging quest before, and she had done it - she would do this too.

Looking around, Phae spied a snake lazily sunning itself on a rock. Narrowing her eyes, Phae tried a different approaching. She folded her wings tightly to her sides, making her lithe form smaller, more compact. As silently as she could, she crept towards the lazy snake. Hopefully it had not been out here long, and its blood would still be cold enough to make its movements slow. As she neared, she once again tried the wing-aided-pounce approach, slamming her hooves down onto the rock.

Helovian Ancient
As you suspect, the snake is too oblivious and too slow to escape. You crush it instantly.

[1/5]

Deceased

PHAEDRA

As her hooves connected with the rock, she felt a delicious squish between her hooves. Looking down, she saw the poor creature utterly crushed. Feeling not a trace of sadness for the creature, she picked up the thing delicately between her teeth, and trotted back to where the small chick sat. Dropping it, she watched with delight as the bird began to immediately dissect the snake with its talons. Fantastic.

Looking in the meadow again, the only thing she saw was another of those prairie dogs. Flattening her ears, she considered her options. Although the small rodent watched her, she wondered if it was smart enough to see through a bluff...? Phae walked slowly in an arc around the creature, until she found what she was looking for. A small rock lay at her hooves; scooping it up with her wing, she walked a few more steps, before launching it far over the top of the rodent's head. As she did so, she sprang towards it, hoping that the sound of the rock would draw its attention away from her. This time hopefully, she would feel flesh when she landed, rather than soft earth.

Helovian Ancient
Your assumptions in the rodent's intelligence are correct, as it falls for the ruse and is killed.

[2/5]

Deceased

PHAEDRA

Phae let our a sharp laugh as she herd bones shatter between her hooves. If this was the joy that accompanied killing, she could see why there was so much violence in the world. She felt positively empowered. She would certainly take up combat training, when this was all over. Picking up the lifeless body, she proudly trotted back to Stella, dropping it next the the chick. She was shocked to see that the snake had already been devoured, and its skin torn apart. Apparently her new accomplice also enjoyed destruction.

As she watched the chick eat, she spied a rabbit out of the corner of her eye. A rabbit was far too fast for her to chase after...but flying? Phae had only ever been bested in the air twice. Circling back, Phae ran a few steps in order to gain easy lift. Gliding in a arch to face the direction of the rabbit, she tucked her wings neatly into her sides as she gained speed. She was close to the ground now, so close that her wing tips brushed the grasses with each pulse. The rabbit was quite fast, but that wasn't the problem. Speed, Phae had on her side. The rabbit however, was darting left and right too quickly for Phae to follow. She flew in a straight line in between the wave-pattern of the rabbit. Up. Pause. Up. Pause. Phae was trying to internalize the rhythm of the rabbit, noting when it was 'up', or the right of her. When she felt she had it, she dove to the right as the rabbit went left, estimating that by the time her hooves hit the ground, the rabbit would have instinctively altered its course again, putting it right under her hooves.

Helovian Ancient
Your aim is true and the rabbit perishes with a horrendous shriek, it's end all but swift as it twitches and draws its last breath.

[3/5]

Deceased

PHAEDRA

Although Phae was enjoying this hunting game, she was glad that none of her marks had suffered. They had all perished what seemed instantaneously to her. Picking up the soft pelt of the rabbit, Phae again diligently brought the meal back to Stella, who only looked at her with large expectant eyes. "Almost love, almost."feel Stella, even if she could not communicate with her yet, as the Earthen God had instructed.

Phae saw a large bird gliding away from a nest in one of the tree's surrounding the fields. A bird in the air? that would certainly be a challenge. She's probably just out hunting..like...me.. Phae thought, an idea dawning on her. Phae took off at a light canter, in the opposite direction that she had seen the bird fly from. High up, strategically placed in the tree, was a nest. Within it, 3 baby birds squawked indignantly. Looking over at Stella, whose eyes seemed to urge her forward, Phae shrugged. Backing up a few paces, Phae launched herself into the air, meaning to knock the nest out of the tree, and if successful, squish the baby birds upon impact.

[OOC: Secretary birds do in fact eat other birds/eggs, but I'm not sure if this is an acceptable prey.]

Helovian Ancient
The three chicks tumbled down, one falling easily to its death, while the other two shrieked in agony with their injuries. Before you could blink an eye a hawk from above swooped down and nabbed one of the injured ones.

[4/5]

Deceased

PHAEDRA

Phaedra panicked at the chick screamed in terror and pain; she looked over at Stella, wondering if the chick would think she would do that same to her...? But no, Stella's eyes were calculating and greedy. Feed me they seemed to say; to demand. Wincing, Phae brought a hoof down on the screaming chick, crushing the life out of it easily. Ignoring her squeamishness, she scooped the two remaining chicks up in her wing, and set them down next to Stella, who began to feed hungrily again, now having an array of dead bodies around her.

Looking around, the meadow seemed devoid now of life. Stella ruffled her feathers anxiously, having no concept of the panic that was settling into Phaedra's mind. Please! her mind screamed. High above, the hawk which had stolen 1/3 of Stella's previous meal, cried as it scoured prey from the skies. Narrowing her eyes at the creature which had stolen from her Stella, she took to the skies intent on pursuing the creature. It, however, was not paying attention to her at all - its laser vision was focused at something farther below them. As if realizing how foolish it would be to go after the hawk, she let her gaze drift to the ground, trying to find what the hawk could have been watching. Rooting through some leaves, after some berries perhaps, as a large, fat ground hog. Phae smiled delightedly. A fat creature like that would surely sedate Stella's hunger..?

Phae circled lazily, watching the creature as she neared. She knew nothing about these over sized rodents. Would it run? Was it fast? As it had its head burred in a pile of rotting leaves - left decaying from FrostFall's icy burial, Phae couldn't tell if it had large teeth or not. Here goes nothing she thought, holding her breath as she dove towards the pile of leaves, and the varmint half inside. She tucked her wings to gain speed as the zoomed towards the ground - she would need the speed, as this creature was large than any of the others, and if she was going to kill it in one go, she would need inertia on her side.

Aiming her hooves for the hump she assumed was its neck, she hit the ground.

Helovian Ancient
The ground hog perishes quickly.

[5/5 - the bond is sealed]