the Rift

Brazen Beating of Strong Hearts [Open, Acceptance]

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

Tor's guidance had led them unfailingly to the borders of the Edge. Excitement had broken through the normally soft, wandering expression on his face. He really did have a problem with things not holding his attention. You really needed to interest him to hold his mind steady, but if you really caught his eyes you'd be stuck there forever. Something all love struck fillies wanted in his homeland. Kaj had just been confused. Oh there he goes again, he swore he had an attention deficit. 

Everything was turning a bit misty now, muffling the sound of the draft horses moving towards the herd land. It was beautiful in an exotic, mystifying way. Quiet. Peaceful. Still. Just the way Kaj liked it. For once the flutters of excitement touched his chest, and he found himself eager to spot someone from the Edge. Anyone to accept him, give him something to do. To work with. Kaj did well with work, he was built for it inside and out. Reveled in it. All he wanted in life was a mate he could adore, children to raise, and a task to keep him working and content. A simple man perhaps but nothing else could bring him such joy. 

Tor was good company and didn't poke at him as if he were a specimen. Accepting his quiet nature and not forcing him to speak. Lips came unglued only for those he loved, bass voice rumbling out to greet the few who worked their way past his surprising obliviousness to his heart. She led him well, and for that he was thankful. But now, he felt the ringing inside the marrow of his bones. He'd found something worth keeping. The same throbbing he'd felt when he'd left home. A purpose. A new trail to blaze and discover. Before he could stop himself he tilted his head heavenward and a smooth deep song rang out. Respectfully calling to anyone beyond the borders to come to him. Determine if he would be worthy, allow him to become a part of their family. As it ended he turned to the female at his side. Baby blues melting into gratitude. "Thank you, miss Tor." Voice heavy with thanks, showing to her the depth of her actions and how much he appreciated them in such few words.

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu

[I'm assuming Tor is with him and will be posting here too? Just based on the way you wrote your post.]

I lift my head as a bugle thunders over the skies. Grass tumbles from the corner of my mouth, where my lips did not have as strong a purchase on it. It's a pity, those blades will wither and die rather than nourish me, as I will surely not find them again.

Such needless waste is far from my mind as I have already set myself in motion. I am a black smear moving over this grey land. My tail trails behind me like a robe, though I am a far cry from a king. A jester is perhaps too lowly for me, though at times you can call me a fool and be not a liar. I am simply, ink.

I appear from the mists like the wraith of my ranking, abruptly there when a heart's beat earlier I was not. The Edge of the World has a way of swallowing you up; even now the mist curling in the wake of my motion is eddying back around me, trying to drag me back into the distance where I am not seen.

I flick my ears towards the strangers, bobbing my head in silent welcome. My posture is guarded and tall, suggesting an authority - it's not one I truly posses, but they need not know that. It should do enough to make them tell me why they have come and then perhaps I'll see how high my authority reigns.

I N K

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

[[Its open to her but it is her choice to join or not.]]

From the mists a darkly painted stallion appeared. His presence was not forewarned, and he moved silently like death itself. The mists wrapped around his form as if it were a sentient being, wrapping almost lovingly around his legs. Kaj took note of his proud stance, and though he is noticeably taller he bowed his head low to the other stallion. He smelled not of a leader but Kaj refused to be disrespectful. Wings lowering and one leg bending slightly as if he were a knight waiting for the gentle touch of the sword on his shoulders. He does not speak as he straightens, watching them with dark eyes. It is as if he is a doll or a wraith, not truly there. But he surely is, smelling of salt and sweet pine. He who will hopefully guide him with acceptance into the World's Edge. 

As much as he despises it he knows that it is now that he must talk. "Sir, I am Kaj. I come to serve your herd with all the strength I have, if in return you will accept me into your family." Bass voice rumbles out respectfully. He wants a simple, proud life. If he can have that he will be more than thankful. Honest baby blue irises meet the males eyes, wings tucking in to light golden sides. Allowing him to penetrate his mind, baring his soul to him for him to pick over and judge. Retreating happily back into silence while he does this. 

Hidden Account
Blu

The tawny beast bows his head and knee in turn, taking me by surprise. I am not accustomed to such displays towards me. I am like a dog slinking under the tables at a feast, sniffing out juicy scraps. Worse than that even, I am but the shadow of a cur.

It makes me simper slightly. The smile is a meager twist on my lips and a spark in my eyes, but I hope it will not portray the amusement in my heart, but rather the gratitude. Too often have I come across those who think their tongues need wagging as often as their lungs pull in air. I would wish my fate many a time upon those rude nuisances, worse than the crickets that sing from dawn 'til dusk. It's better that I'm not a unicorn, as I'm sure I'd have become very talented at the taking of tongues by now.

Either way, I hope whatever expression I show, has covered up my initial response of shock. Likely the brute's head was still to the dirt then.

He rises with a shuffle of wings and a curtain of mane. I look at him, lips pursed in thought, and think that he is surely a lion. In color, hair and regal manner this stallion is much like the golden felines. I would be fool to regard him so highly though, when he's yet to flex his claws or bare his teeth.

I nod my head low and slow in reply to the words spoken. It would be unwise to take that as an acceptance though, as I do not make to turn my body away from his path, letting him in, nor to stand beside him as a new brother. I wonder just what rights I have in judging him, but I know this much. Though the herd is in need of bodies, it is only the able bodied we have use for. We need lions, not dogs that will roll onto their backs at the first who approach. Though I appreciate his manners, I need to know that he has more than bowing recited - after all, if he would bend a knee to one like me, what would he do to our ferocious enemies, I wonder wryly, piss himself?

I hope not, I do like him.

I throw my tail around my right side then with a sudden shift of my legs ad a wet slap of the heaping pile of black hair. I dip my stance, haunches tight with movement as I pull the coiled strings about like a brush. Ink swells from their tips and splashes onto the misty earth. I twist and turn the fluid, shaping it to my mind's eye and my heart's will. I ask him in the only way I can, just what he is worth and what he has to offer, by painting.

I illustrate first the lion I consider him, teeth snapping at the throats of our foes. Is he a warrior, a protector? I glance sidelong at him, curious to see his reaction.
I let that image shatter into small droplets before rebuilding him as a dog, sly and sneaky as I. Will he prefer the shadows to the sun, stealth to the war cries? I wonder.
I paint for him each service he would provide for us in turn, each time pointedly looking to him for his inclination.

He says he will serve. I want to know how.

I N K

Ebony cranium nods slowly to his words, eyes appraising. Movement doesn't turn his body, though Kaj hadn't expected it to. There is more to this acceptance than words. Letting in a complete stranger wouldn't be much good, and would show weakness in the stability of the herd. The fact that the silent ghost of a stallion isn't budging only serves to stoke the fire that burns inside Kaj, telling him that this is where he truly wanted to be. Knowing that if he desires to be a part of this, he has to show the shadowed stallion that he is deserving of it. As he comes to this decision the brute shifts to the side, and a dark substance leaks from his plume. Orbs that reflect the colors of the sky flick downwards, watching the strokes and twirls of his tail. It's as if shadows take form, move to his will, but somehow he knows that it's not true. What touches the ground is reminiscent of a liquid, though Kaj doesn't particularly know what it is as it splashes artfully over the grass. Taking form, moving to express thoughts, and it's then that Kaj realizes that the wraith cannot speak. Kaj is unbothered by this, finding it a rather amazing thing that despite all this he has persevered, found a way to translate what he is speaking.

The image takes shape, and from the ink a lion stands- teeth bared and eyes proud and regal just as the animal it truly is. Endless black eyes turn upward, observing his reaction to this picture. It's then that Kaj understands. "In my old home, all males were protectors and all females wielders of magic. I am able to fight." Noriker blood is strong in him, building him up to a height of seventeen hands. Not a force to be reckoned with, and there's no doubt that Kaj knows how to handle his mass. The Akhal-Teke of his mother was what had given the length of his body so that he did not stand fully draft. The ink swarms, creating a different image. A sly dog, an informant. Amusement takes over his golden face, breaking through the passiveness it normally holds. Head shaking, frosty part of his mane moving away from his eyes. There's nothing left to say, he is not made for sleuthing. "I am too obvious in crowds, sir. Hiding is hard when appearing as I do." Even if he hadn't needed to say it, he feels as if it is respectful to Ink to do so. The shapes are changing again and again, showing different abilities that he can possibly have to give to the herd. Healing, Creating, Defending, Sneaking. Awkwardly shaking his head to healing. It wasn't his calling was all. When the image of creation passed his eyes golden head bobbed. "It's a possibility. Those two suit me best." In the end, should he be accepted of course, he would have to decide. That would be something to decide in the future. Talking is strange for him, and he awkwardly cleared his throat. With Ink being mute, it made him have to talk. When others questioned him verbally, shaking and nodding his head was much easier, but he knew that if he wanted to make an impression he couldn't seem completely aloof.

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable
  • Tor has guided him, as she offered. He seems kind and cordial and polite, everything she believes the Edge to value. At least, she hopes the Edge does not mind her bringing such a stallion with her. It would, to say the least, be so embarrassing if she was not welcome. But the draft considered to be at good odds with the Qian; she knew Lace, no matter how awkward their relationship might be at this point; Torasin, the healer; and Mirage, who Tor had offered help to whenever she should wish it.
  • The draft shakes out her creamy mane. It is still startling, her appearance now- she had nearly fully grayed out to white. She had known, as a child, she have been painted with black and white, but still... it seemed funny to view herself as a white mare. White was so... angelic. Pure. Lately, Tor didn't feel she had been doing anything angelic or pure. Hallucinating. Getting only what she can describe as crazy. Failing her mission to save Mirage. Declaring love for Phaedra. Healing Thayne. No- healing was something kind.
  • She waits in silence, knowing soon someone will arrive, and indeed a horse comes, a stallion who seems to... shine like some sort of black liquid. Ink she has never heard of, and she watches, fascinated, as he paints images in this black liquid. The healer does not speak nor interrupt- it is up to this stallion who smells of Edge to decide whether or not he will take in Kaj. It isn't her business anymore. In fact, she should leave, but she is entranced by Ink.
  • Finally she pulls herself away, dips her head in farewell. "Good luck, the two of you. I should be on my way." And so the draft slips away, her pale coat retreating from the Edge, the place where Lace lives.
WORDS OF COMPASSION ARE STRONGER THAN ANY ACT OF POWER.

Aaron Posts: 260
World's Edge Protector atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 6 Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alanna :: Common Hellhound :: Energy Drain Emily

Another body moved through the mists. His hooves pounded into the earth below him. His body beginning to foam with sweat. He had been weak, lax even. He had not been patrolling and seeking out new recruits from the threshold like he should of been. It was because of him, they had been taken. If only he had been watching more carefully... No.. A voice inside him snapped. He had been watching, just not close enough. Vikram had seemed to disappear, as had many of the others that counted themselves among the Qian. This left Lace, Torasin, and himself as fighters. The latter two had been busy, crafting and recruiting. Like Aaron should of been. Instead he had been quiet and relaxed in the lull after the storm.... Little had he know they were only in the eye of a hurricane and that the storm would start again. First Kiara, then his mother, and finally Mirage. The young knight had finally snapped out of his lull and back into training and patrolling. He was yet to visit the Threshold, as it seemed many flocked here to World's Edge on their own.

It was in this state of mind that the young painted warrior happened upon the pair. The almost jet black stallion that had sneakily stolen Kiara back, and a new comer. The draft raised his head higher, acting as if he to was a being of importance. In a sense he was on the way to becoming such should he complete the tasks set before him by Mirage. Two more fights, win or lose... and he would become eligible to become the WingLeader. It was what the knight strode for. In the mean time there was business to be done. Ear pricked forward listening as his pace slowed to the pegasus speak. As he stopped along side his herd mate a friendly wicker was emitted before he spoke. "An ability to fight is good, we could use more able bodies to protect our own." He paused, eyes assessing the possible new member. Could he be trusted? Maybe. Time would tell. "I am Aaron, one of the skilled protectors of World's Edge." Now he waited for whatever would happen next.

In Nomine Patris Et Filii
Et Spiritus Sancti

Please Tag Aaron in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Aaron at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Hidden Account
Blu

The mare at Kaj's side has been curiously quiet. I have been wondering if she means to join as well, since she smells of the wilds, but she'd given me her answer as she bows out amid my questioning. I watch her go with a turn of my eyes and little else. I have my lion to worry about still.

Just as the girl departs another comes to replace her, though this one draws from my side of the land, his face familiar. Aaron, protector of the Edge, brother to Kiara and son of Solstice. I can sympathize with this poor stallion that has fared worse than most of us in these trouble times. I can imagine his grief and anger at having his family torn from his sides; truthfully though I cannot, my family long lost and since forgotten. I don't think I feel such care or passion for anyone, even myself at times. I know that it should be a hard fate, and I can at least respect his level head as he endures.

I appreciate his support as he comes to rest at my side. Though I think I've since decided that Kaj is not a threat and will be a great addition to the Edge, I would be a fool to trust so easily so quick. Besides, he can take Kaj now.

My tail finishes its work and lays limp at my sides. The ground around me has been splattered black and shines with the wet. I pay it no mind, well accustomed to it. In the process of my asking Kaj had given me two clear responses. A warrior, he seems most liken to and comfortable with, and a crafter perhaps. He's in luck then that Aaron, a long-tested warrior here, has arrived.

I bow my head as Aaron introduces himself and begin to retreat so I may depart from this conversation. I would leave the stranger, now a brother, in the capable hooves of one more suited for asking and answering. It is better that be befriends a fellow he will be ranked with. Aaron can train him and teach him in ways that I could never understand.

The weight of my duty has been displaced. I interrupted the intruder and made them kin. Nothing else in my job description requires social interaction, so I fade back into the mists much the way I had come. I give a lasting look to Kaj, proffering him a smile of reassurance. Welcome it tells him, my eyes bright in this din.

I N K

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
[ OOC : Mirage gives permission for Ink and Aaron to accept Kaj as a new member of the herd even though they aren't Tier 2 ranked (yet ;D ) ]

Tor doesn't speak long, and she is almost as wraith like as the stallion that stands half shrouded in mist before them. When she has finished she turns, without a backward glance, and leaves. Disappearing to wherever it was she intended to go. Kaj is sad, in a way, to see her leave. He senses something or someone has hurt her. Hurting a female, in his eyes, is inexcusable. Especially if it involves their emotions. He'd seen too many heartbroken fillies fall for all the wrong stallions, which is why he stayed in his herd more. There, it was always a symbiotic relationship even if there were no feelings involved between the protector and the mage. Perhaps as a natural gentleman he had a difference stance on things.

As if in equal exchange, as Tor leaves another comes. Painted in the colors of darkness set on a backdrop of white. Friendly sound echoes from his maw and Kaj turns his eyes to him. Observing him in that quiet, curious way he has. The stallion stood like a warrior, but something almost sad lingered on his visage. Knowing better than to ask, Kaj nodded politely in reply to him. "I am Kaj." His words making it obvious that he was a protector as well. Not that Kaj would ever use the information in a bad way, simply something to keep in mind should he wish to spar. Ink's tail has stopped its movements and Kaj is a little sad to see that the pictures have ended. With how easily he is captured by details, they held his attention much longer than some thing.

Ink is retreating then, head bowed to Aaron. Kaj watches him leave, disappearing into the mists that swirl around them. Before he can vanish completely dark eyes find his and a smile stretches onyx lips. Kaj smiles in return. Transferring every word he wants to say into his face for a brief moment. Thanking Ink, displaying how intrigued he is with the black stallion. He will certainly seek him out in the future for company, as Ink is fast becoming a friend to him. Only when he has disappeared does Kaj turn sky blue eyes to Aaron. "I wish to stay here and serve your herd as either Soldier or Craftsman. In return all I ask is to be a part of your family." Kaj has a slow way of speaking, though it's not unbearable. Every word holds weight in his deep voice, and he doesn't speak when not required. Holding gazes with Aaron, showing once more the honesty of his words that he displayed to Ink moments before.