the Rift

Help Is On the Way

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo

HEROES MAY DIE

While Destrier had felt awful for declining Note's offer to return to the Dragon's Throat with him, the Friesian knew it would be best to survey all the herdlands himself before coming to a decision. The last thing he wanted was to try and settle in somewhere, only to find out that he did not like it, or fit in there. He had heeded Note's words and avoided the Aurora Basin, instead, walking the edge of the borders to the other lands.

With it's desert terrain, the Dragon's Throat was unlike anywhere else he had seen before. Whenever Winter came, he was sure that the residents needn't worry like some others in Helovia.

Then, there had been the Windtossed Foothills. Mountains surrounded the land, acting as a nature barrier to the elements. It was beautiful, he could not deny it, but there was something that simply did not draw the stallion in.

Last, he had come to the World's Edge. The pungent smell of salt water had been his first indicator of the close location to the seas, and almost instantly, the stallion was being drawn towards the land. A thick wave of mist obscured his view from most of the land, but he could see the mightiest of trees rising high into the sky, daring to pierce the sun. Nostrils flaring, he could pick out the scents of several others that had come through, and this was only proven further when he looked down to see faint hoofprints in the fine dirt beneath his feet.

Exhaling softly, the Friesian finally began to move forward, making his way deeper into the lands. Despite his natrually high headset, he had dropped it, not wanting to be seen as a threat to a place he was not yet allowed in yet. If he was able, he would find a ranking member of the land, and seek acceptance. It was with that thought that the towering black brute let loose a call, signaling his presence. Because what kind of a fool would want to sneak up when he was trespassing?

BUT LEGENDS ENDURE

Image Credits

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu

I lift my head as a bugle thunders over the skies. Grass tumbles from the corner of my mouth, where my lips did not have as strong a purchase on it. It's a pity, those blades will wither and die rather than nourish me, as I will surely not find them again.

Such needless waste is far from my mind as I have already set myself in motion. I am a black smear moving over this grey land. My tail trails behind me like a robe, though I am a far cry from a king. A jester is perhaps too lowly for me, though at times you can call me a fool and be not a liar. I am simply, ink.

I appear from the mists like the wraith of my ranking, abruptly there when a heart's beat earlier I was not. The Edge of the World has a way of swallowing you up; even now the mist curling in the wake of my motion is eddying back around me, trying to drag me back into the distance where I am not seen.

I flick my ears towards the stranger, bobbing my head in silent welcome. My posture is guarded and tall, suggesting an authority - it's not one I truly posses, but he needs not know that. It should do enough to make him tell me why he has come and then perhaps I'll see how high my authority reigns.

I N K

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo

HEROES MAY DIE

In seemingly no time at all, a figure as dark as himself appears from the mists like an entity. The mists dare to wrap around his feet and pull him back into their depths, but with eyes glued, the other stallion remains vigilant in his approach. His stance is that of a leader, but whether he is one or not, Destrier cannot assume. For now, though, he would treat the stranger with all the respect in the world.

Coming to a halt, Destrier remains silent once the younger is standing before him, and it is with mild confusion that the Friesian regards him. It's unusual that one would choose to stay quiet at the sight of an intruder, but when he gives a simple, welcoming nod of his head, the Friesian returned on of his own. Devoid of ignorance, he decides not to comment on the stallion's choice of silence, instead wondering if there is something wrong. Not all creatures could speak, for one reason or another, and this could very well be one of them. And, not wanting to sound rude, he decides not to press for confirmation.

"Hello," Destrier spoke up, returning his dark eyes to the silent wraith, "I am Destrier, and I have come seeking a home. If I am welcomed, I would love to join the ranks."

BUT LEGENDS ENDURE

Image Credits

Hidden Account
Blu

I watch the thoughts dance in the back of the black's eyes as he regards me. His confusion, though reigned in, twitches in the seams of his expressions. He does not understand, but is intelligent enough not to be the first to query when he stands on a land not his own. I have a great affection for intelligence. I think I like him already.

He speaks slowly, as if uncertain. Is silence so imposing? My lips twitch at the hint of a smile, but I do not let it spread. I would hate to make it seem I'm laughing at this stallion when he has reacted so well to the strange. Such creatures of habit we are, thrown off by the slightest unknown. It's a pity, what more could we manage if we were not so fearful of what we fail to understand or recognize?

Much, I imagine.

I nod my head low and slow in reply to the words spoken. It would be unwise to take that as an acceptance though, as I do not make to turn my body away from his path, letting him in, nor to stand beside him as a new brother. I wonder just what rights I have in judging him, but I know this much. Though the herd is in need of bodies, it is only the able bodied we have use for.

I throw my tail around my right side then with a sudden shift of my legs and a wet slap of the heaping pile of black hair. I dip my stance, haunches tight with movement as I pull the coiled strings about like a brush. Ink swells from their tips and splashes onto the misty earth. I twist and turn the fluid, shaping it to my mind's eye and my heart's will. I ask him in the only way I can, just what he is worth and what he has to offer, by painting.

I illustrate first a sketch of his resemblance clashing with another mighty titan. Is he a warrior, a protector? I glance sidelong at him, curious to see his reaction.
I let that image shatter into small droplets before rebuilding him as a shadow slipping through the mists, sly and sneaky as I. Will he prefer the shade to the glory of the the sun, stealth to the war cries? I wonder.
I paint for him each service he would provide for us in turn, each time pointedly looking to him for his inclination.

He says he will join the ranks. I want to know which one.

I N K

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

A stranger on the borders have a way of attracting attention, not unlike a fresh kill on a desert plain might attract vultures. Lace did hope that the stallion didn't feel like prey where he stood, as first Ink and now himself came to see what he might want.

It was curiosity that pulled him closer to the black pair, the kind of itch that led young colts into dangerous situations and caused cats to lose their lives one after another. Like a wraith, silent and wrapped in mist he appeared from the depths of the woods with eyes gleaming golden and mirroring the interest he felt upon seeing the inky stallion speak with images.

The white lizard like creature perching on his back seemed curious as well, but lately her undaunted spirit and sense of adventure had suffered under the forced silence that kept the horse and the dragon separated from each others souls. She spent most of the days glued to the Glazier's side, perched on his back or curling around a leg in a clingy, attention-sick way that might have annoyed him, had he not felt the same need to be close to her. Their bond remained, but after being able to share their innermost thoughts and feelings with one another, this emptiness was horrific.

Distractions were more than welcome. They quietly slipped in next to Ink, silent and trying to remain inconspicuous as not to disturb his concentration or avert the attention of the unnamed foreigner from the silent conversation. This was the black Wraith's time, and the white-maned stallion didn't want to steal his thunder.

CREDITS: Schwartze | venomxbaby | 116802
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

HEROES MAY DIE

At first, a nod is all that the Friesian receives in turn of his words. But the ebony boy standing before him remains where he stood, before suddenly turning on his hocks and whipping his tail to the ground. Destrier watched with confusion, and then amazement as this nameless equine began to drip ink, drawing with his tail. He'd seen Bran do it before, but this, of course, was much more amazing to behold.

He took a step closer as the images were drawn out, wanting to get a better look, and hoped that he wasn't pressing his luck by doing so. The first sketch depicted his own likeliness at battle with another massive foe, and after he'd taken in the entirety of the image, it shattered, and the stallion got to work on another. This time, Destrier still seemed to be the subject, yet was sneaking through what could only be mist. He regarded each image with keen interest, but when the other was finished, Destrier knew quite well what he wanted to be. "A warrior," he spoke up in reply, lifting his gaze from the ground back up to the other stallion's dark eyes, "That is what I wish to be."

It was then that he noticed the silvered form of another, silently stepping from the mists and appearing like a ghost. Destrier would show the same respect to the grullo as he did the black, as well as the small, white creature perched on his back. It was not the first dragon he had ever seen, but his interest in the creature was all the same. It was when he met the golden eyes of the spider-webbed stallion that the creep of familiarity began to wash over him. Surely he did not know this stallion, for he had only just come here, but... There was something about him, something that called out that this was not just another horse. But he would figure this out later.

Until the inky equine gave some form of reply to him, he would simply give a nod of respect, of acknowledgement to the grullo, hoping that it would be an adequate greeting for the time being.

BUT LEGENDS ENDURE

Image Credits

Hidden Account
Blu

I draw and the black beast watches, his features intent. My lips turn wry at his seriousness, though I do appreciate it. The world has enough jesters and fools, here at it's edge we're interested only in the skilled and the wise.

The look upon the other's visage tells me what I need to know. He has selected already, and I think I know which. I proceed to illustrate however, remembering that Kaj had taken interest in warrior as well as crafter in such a similar position. Perhaps the stony stallion would find a secondary taste to occupy his time when his ruined body needed resting.

The mists part as Lace encounters us. His quiet causes me to tilt my head in his direction, curious at his intentions. I am grateful for his support in these dark times. Though I know not his skill in battle I'm sure it is far beyond mine, as any are. I am unafraid though. I think if the noble goliath before me had wished to betray he would have done it already.

Warrior

He murmurs the word with such ease, pulling my thoughts back to the matter at hand. I know it has been dancing on the tip of his tongue since the first image I procured. I had a feeling as much, so it came to be I illustrated it first, in hindsight a likely torture to the brute that I forced to play dictionary with me. It will do him good, I think with a silent chuckle to myself.

I glance over at the one who joined me. Lace and his pale dragon Fajira, glazier of the World's Edge. He is no warrior, but he will serve Destrier well all the same. Lucky for me Lace came at a good point in the conversation, if that's still what it can be called when only one side does the talking. The stranger is now a brother.

I make to leave.

Though I do not mean to scurry away when my side has just been joined, I hope to meet Lace again very soon and besides, nothing in my job description tells me of being social. I did my herd bound duty in intercepting the intruder and making peace with him one way or another. My game of art and dance can only last so long when one needs telling and not guessing. I nod to Destrier, a kind welcome in the bow of my nape and the gleam of my eyes, warm and bright.

I proffer Lace a fleeting line on my lips, an apologetic smile, before turning into the mists to be swallowed up once more.

I N K

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

The conversation was all but over when he arrived, but at least the grulla was able to hear the reply from the black coated newcomer - and thus the contents and words previously spoken became clear.

A new recruit then. He couldn't help but eye the stranger with faint curiosity, wondering just how proficient this wandering warrior was. A secret itch behind the shoulder-blades tempted the craftsman to test him, to issue a challenge then and there to find out just how skilled he was, how much use he would be... But that wasn't Lace's task anymore. He was no general even though he sometimes acted like one, and could but suggest and ask, not command.

Ink began to withdraw now. The Glazier somewhat regretted it, the quiet shadow-man was a pleasant company despite, or perhaps thanks to his eternal silence; good company, a trusted member of the family - but alas, not the most social of beings. The smile and glance was returned with one that held understanding and gratitude, and as the inky horse disappeared into the mist of their home his attention returned to the newcomer with more intensity - and purpose.

"Welcome to the World's Edge" Lace greeted with a polite arching of the neck. "My name is Lace, and my companion here is Fajira; I am what we call a Glazier, a craftsman in charge of creation here. I'll answer any questions you might have to the best of my ability, and if you don't mind, I have a few tasks for you to complete before fully assuming the role as a Protector of these lands."

This was routine, familiar and somehow comfortable, and didn't require any greater effort on his behalf. With a slight nudge of the head, the silver grulla invited the black friesian to step further into the land, and even as he spoke he began to walk further in among the trees. They could sightsee and talk at the same time - and really, it wasn't very polite to have a new brother stand on the border like a beggar.

The Store | The Warden

HEROES MAY DIE

It wasn't hard at all to tell where his interest lie, and if he could have read Ink's thoughts, he wouldn't have been surprised to know that he could tell. The pair standing before him seem to have a silent conversation before the inky black turns to leave, and out of respect and thanks, the Friesian dipped his head at the departing form. Even if Ink had not shared any words, Destrier could tell that he was a good fellow, and he hoped to run into him again soon.

Now, it was only he and Lace left, as well as the little white dragon perched upon the grullo's back. Fajira was her name, and she was an interesting creature indeed, but Destrier's attention was quickly and fully turned back to the silver stallion as he spoke. Lace... The name rolled around in his mind for a moment, begging to be remembered, but if it were to happen, it would happen in time. So he followed the other stallion, listening intently to whatever he had to say. When the grullo turned and began to move away from the borders, he shifted into motion, following along at the other's side and disappearing into the mist.

Although Destrier was quite sure of his abilities, he couldn't blame Lace for wanting to test him, for would he not do the same to newcomers if put in charge? With a nod of his head, he spoke. "I will do as you please," his voice came out steadily, "For it is only right. What is it you wish for me to do?"

Already the Friesian could feel it; the World's Edge held a bright future for him. He could not wait to get to know his new brothers and sisters in arms, his new family, but first, he would need to prove himself to them.

He was ready.

BUT LEGENDS ENDURE

Image Credits

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

The compliance of the newcomer was commendable, if not very surprising. Lace found himself appreciating the common sense of this steed, it wasn't something he had been spoiled with during his life. Manners, a sense of duty, knowing what was right and wrong in life... He couldn't help but wonder where the black man had been raised. On the accent alone the glazier would have been tempted to even suggest his own homeland, but the thought was rather absurd. How would a horse hailing from Gassul have ended up all the way here, when it was at least a years journey on foot, and that if one was blessed with luck and didn't get stranded in one of the many lands that separated here from there?

No, it was highly unlikely. In any case, the tree-marked soldier was grateful towards the others parents for giving him a good upbringing, and awarded him with a faint smile as they walked through the misty woodlands.

"It's nothing too difficult, really. I just want to know how you fight when up against different opponents... This is a land where many races and creatures mingle, and it requires a flexible mind and some skill to keep yourself ahead. I would like to ask you to arrange and perform three spars, one against an equine like yourself - I won't mind being your opponent there - one against a unicorn and one against a pegasus. Pick from within our own ranks or those of our allies, the Throat or the Foothills; I would suggest you avoid the unicorns of the Aurora Basin for now. Our relations with them are somewhat... tense, at the moment."

His smile turned wry and the gilded eyes darkened for a moment at the thought of their greatest threat. Calling the situation with the Basin "tense" was a huge understatement, as Destrier surely would come to realize with time. They were on the brink of war, where guerrilla tactics and hostages were taken nilly willy... Only time would tell if the disagreement would be settled with the return of Mirage to the Edge. Once their WeyrLeader was back things might settle for the better... Or her captivity had made her hellbent on erasing the inhabitants of the newly found territory for good. With the DragonHeart, it was never easy to tell.

The Store | The Warden

HEROES MAY DIE

As they walked, Destrier did his best to take in the sights and commit them to memory. While it might seem a useless thing to do, should they ever become under attack, he would know the best, and worst, places to go given the circumstances of it all. He would not run from a charging warrior, but Destrier was not stupid; there was a reason he was still breathing, and that was because he knew when he couldn't win, knew when he was outnumbered and when to run.

But as they ventured deeper into the misty lands, the Friesian couldn't help but shift his musings upon the grullo walking at his side. Even if there were no immediate memories, there was something about him that was utterly familiar, but he couldn't figure out what it was. He was definitely not from Vallhea, for he would have recognized him instantly. The likelihood of them sharing the same homeland of Gassul was slim, but no entirely impossible.

It was when Lace continued his speech that he let those thoughts evaporate from his busy mind, soaking in all that he had to say. Three battles against opponents of different attributes, or spars, anyways. As the other stallion had said, it was nothing too difficult, for he only needed to speak up and seek out a friendly spar. He already had one lined up, it seemed. "Sounds easy enough," he spoke then, a smile gracing his lips at the words, "I would be delighted to hold a spar with you, Lace, whenever you are available for such."

When Lace mentioned the Aurora Basin, the Friesian almost paused in his steps, recalling the pegasi's words of warning in the Threshold. Apparently, the unicorns residing there were not something to be messed with, and he couldn't help but wonder why. However, those questions could wait. "You must explain more about the Basin to me, but another day, perhaps. I'm sure you're a busy man."

BUT LEGENDS ENDURE

Image Credits

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

Lips twisted, the smile grew deeper and warmer as his task was accepted readily - almost eagerly. It received a hue of contentment, like a cat regarding a fat mouse caught beneath its paw - only, this mouse would eventually be turned into a cat himself, or possibly even rise to one day fly among the dragons.

"Good, very good..." he said, a gleam in the eyes hinting that he was rather looking forward to the task of testing the new recruit. "I will call upon you when I have time to spare; take the other ones first, and I will determine if you are ready by the result of our clash."

Maybe. It all depended on the result of the spars, and upon the future actions of this stallion. So far, however, he had gained the support of the Glazier. As the white-maned stallion nodded that he'd heard the reply to his query the dragon on top of his back stirred, lifting a slender head to regard the black steed through slitted pupils. Whatever thoughts she had on him remained locked behind her chiseled brow - hidden, until the curse muting the bond was lifted and their thoughts became free to mingle once more.

If it would be lifted at all.

Upon reaching the veiled center of their wooden realm, Lace eventually halted and offered the other a nod in the casual way a parting between comrades required. Brief, short - because surely it wouldn't be long until their paths crossed once again.

"For a friend I always have time" he smiled in response to Destrier's words. "Come see me whenever you want; I tend to stay in the glens where creeks run through. Whether it is only for a chat, or if you should require something carved from wood or glass... If you cannot seem to find me, ask Yseulte, my apprentice. She should know.

Welcome to the World's Edge, Destrier. Make yourself at home."

And with that he turned and disappeared quietly into the mist, leaving only faint hoof prints upon the damp moss to tell of his passing.

The Store | The Warden