the Rift

the lanterns won't go out at night
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
He felt himself quaking inside, shuddering within his own skin even as he remained firm and steadfast. The tremble in his soul, the chaos in his heart and mind, did not quite reach the outside world — they remained locked up in the chamber of his secrets, just like every other facet of his life.

She closed her eyes but he kept watching, kept seeing, tracing the contours of her pale-white face with his gaze. The world outside faded even more, fell away beyond the faint gold he had carried with them into the darkness: he could barely hear the nightmare anymore, except for the whispers which constricted his heart. Vile, something whispered, unclean, another, feeding off his every doubt and hissing them in his ears. Slowly he allowed his ears to fall back, press against his thick white neck, as if that could keep out the voices in his head. If he had been awake, he knew that he would not have heard them, would've stored them someplace and listened to them later, but here, he was at the mercy of his own mind. Mauja knew very well who, and more importantly what Ophelia was, the child of one of the stallions who had helped conquer his home, one who sought equality and had overthrown the old leadership of the Foothills to install his triumvirate. And ever since he had witnessed her silver dragon in that cave, he had known that her mother was that equine, Soleil. He could not deny it: she was a half-breed, and the notion that it was her parents' fault would only get him so far. Most of the Plague would call her a freak and gladly add her to the pile of corpses they were going to build, a funeral pyre worthy of a God's death when Helovia had been wiped clean.

He closed his own eyes, drawing in her warm breath the way a drowning man tries to push his head above water and draw in air. He clung to her scent, to the warmth of her shoulder against his; they had never stood like this in life, he had never dared, never had reason to, but in dreams his willpower eroded and was worn away, leaving a more base creature in its wake. He was too weak to not take, or give, what comfort he could in this place of darkness.

And perhaps this would be his only chance.

No matter who she was now, he doubted she would enjoy his inclination to kill hornless. He pressed his eyes shut tighter, knowing that he had brought this onto himself in every way possible, and yet unable to back out of it, unable to let go. It was a twisted martyrdom, and a path he had chosen. He could not turn back. And so, he slowly opened his eyes, meeting her gaze as she promised to bring him back. I'm not sure you'd want me back, his mind murmured but his voice said nothing. A small, hesitant smile curled his lips up. Was the Plague this loyal — did they seek a way to bring him back, or did they merely turn elsewhere for guidance? Did Psyche care? Ophelia's soft muzzle rested against his cheek, and for a moment longer he kept staring into the world beyond them, before heaving a small sigh. One golden eye slid in its socket, to look down upon the white bridge of her nose. Few had ever sought to comfort him, the product of his harsh past and a statue of ice which betrayed nothing of a living heart. Weakness, the nightmare voice whispered again, but he did not turn aside.

"Sorrow and cruelty can be overcome," he rumbled, repeatedly justifying his cause to himself in silence. Was it hypocrisy he spoke, or only the truths he knew, despite the way they defied logic? It is illogical, he reminded himself. It had always been, and would always be, just as this was illogical. "Just because it is like this, it is no reason to remain like this. Eventually the rain will stop falling." Slowly he drew his head up until he could rest his own muzzle against hers again, his whiskers and lips twitching slightly whenever they brushed against her skin. "Perhaps it was meant as a new start, and so you should not dwell in sorrow," he said quietly. Perhaps you were meant to be like me.

But the stones in his heart told him that she could never be like him — her heart was too great for that.
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

OPHELIA & TINEK</style>
Heavens ablaze in our eyes, we're standing still in time
the blood on our hands is the wine, we offer a sacrifice
</style>

Ophelia had not the slightest notion of her parentage, and the fact that she was followed around by a silver dragon made no mark on her memories. She had forgotten the lore of the dragons and the equines, forgotten her lineage and had forged a new life which now lay in shambles. The horn on her brow told her that she was a unicorn, and nothing else seemed to make any difference to her assumptions. Even in comparison to the stallion who stood next to her, she was more of a unicorn than his appearance would ever warrant. Where he was muscular and strongly build, she was slender, but the most telling difference were her cloven hooves. Perhaps the strength of her unicorn blood was more ancient and purposeful, or perhaps she was fortunate in the luck of the genetic draw. Either way, her appearance told her that she was a unicorn, and she had no reason to doubt that fact as truth.

Little did she know that she stood straddling two worlds, cloven hooves dipping into treacherous, equine territory and dragon's blood flowing perilously in a land of the crowned brows. The history of her short life spoke of being in many places and never belonging to one, like a leaf at the mercy of a stormy breeze. She would touch down, settle, only to be caught again, slave to the master of her fate.

But not here. In this world of dreams and fantasy, she a queen of her own mind, and she was confident. The realm of sleep invited her into opening her soul and baring the inner workings of her soft heart, coaxing her into a false comfort. Naively she believed that he would not harm her, but she had no memories of when he watched her dying. Mauja was a lucky bastard that she had not searched too far into her sister's mind - that she had not seen through her sister's eyes her figure laying among the trees, slowly sinking into death while the king of her dreams complained about how arduous of a task toting away her lifeless body would be. In fact, it was almost cruel now, her open devotion to his heartbreak and sorrow; the way she touched his cheek so affectionately with her muzzle with an earnest heart was too genuine for their history.

And yet, she had forgiven him, even before losing her memories. When he was injured, she selflessly came to his aide, though she was powerless against the injuries of the flesh. Many would call her repeated running into danger with kindness rather foolish, but to Ophelia, she was being true to her soul and the health of her heart. To forgive others for their heartache was not a luxury she had been granted when she was young, and she had seen the injustice done unto her by Nyra. The hatred that had filled her heart for the mare her mother slaughtered brought her more pain that it did pleasure, and she struggled to let the past go. How could she? When she could remember the feeling of her life being stolen away from her body, cell by cell as if she were living the moment again, smell the air turn to a cloud, and heard voices as if she were underwater, dying? The question stood: was it humane to live as she was now, half of who she was and simply sad, or return to being whole and filled with intimate details of tragedy?

The rain cloud that followed in her wake was more of a spring shower in comparison, and the sorrow in her eyes was not as dark as the hopelessness they held before. As she looked openly into the gold orbs of her dreams, the mare was a rather blank slate and an open book with no history of his transgressions nor her lineage tainting her smile. Would the rain ever stop falling, she wondered? Or with ever face she met, would the thunderstorm be renewed? Until her memories were restored, the rain had no choice but to fall.

Her eyes closed briefly when his muzzle touched her own, letting his hopeful words touch her heart. "To not dwell in sorrow and enjoy a new start to my life would be to leave this place and its inhabitants forever," she replied honestly, sighing. "I would leave my sister, whom I know little about, friends who are discovering me before I them, and, I assume, a family. Abandoning them to enjoy a new life would be rather selfish, I think," she mused to herself, the thoughts of her mind moving to her lips. Dreams were safe, right? Gently, she rested more against his side, her tail swishing to and fro. "I believe my answers lie in my past, but I dot not know where to retrieve them," she said honestly.

Suddenly, she paused, frows furrowing as she gazed into his eyes. "I am sorry," she murmured softly. "I was droning about my problems, and you are trapped here." She exhaled, her breath moving in a white cloud again. Reality was sinking in from her side. Snow fell onto her back and melted away, dropping from the ceiling of the cave. "Perhaps we will find the way out... at the end of the tunnel?" she suggested, wondering if there was a way to portal him into her reality. Ophelia was being vastly optimistic, but she made a promise. She intended to keep it.

BOOM | Horse | Background

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
He was falling, too deep, and too far. He could feel reality dissipating, evaporating, abandoning him completely — not that this dream had been real to begin with, but his grip on his emotions was slipping. At times it almost felt like he was swimming outside of his body, the chaotic spiderweb of his mind infected and feral, thrumming painfully and roaring in a crescendo. He could not make sense of it, of anything, of himself, and still the voices whispered their wicked little words. He could no longer hold back the onslaught of his heartbeat, its quivering rhythm as it picked up in speed, torn between something he didn't want to know and something so deep that it terrified him. It felt like the end of the world, which he had so narrowly escaped, was catching up with him after all, and was that a tremor he felt in the ground, or just his frenzied imagination? He tried to draw in deep breaths, to force his body into stillness and calm, but his throat felt blocked, as if only very little air slipped through to fill his lungs. His ears rotated, his body stiff as he tried to hide from her, even as she spoke: "To not dwell in sorrow and enjoy a new start to my life would be to leave this place and its inhabitants forever." He had no words to say, no sense or wisdom to impart on her, for he was drowning in himself.

She leaned even closer, and through the haze of his existence could he feel her, the soft white hairs, the firmness of her muscles, the warmth of her body — the smell of her skin, of her mane. Of her. Was it real, or just a figment of his imagination, a memory trapped somewhere deep in his mind? Sometimes we need to be selfish he wanted to tell her, but he could not find his tongue, or remember how to shape the concept of a thought into words. A harsh wind blew, bringing the scent of snow, and stubbornly he refused to acknowledge the truth. Instead, he pressed closer to her, as if afraid, and seeking shelter with her, but how can one escape the inevitable? The glow of his aura faded, the cracks in his body winked out one after another as if he slipped on a second, perfect skin. Closer and closer the nightmare came, a sense of urgency filling his mind and soul, terror roaring from the depths of his heart. He did not want to wake up. He wanted to stay here forever, where he could ignore every doubt which clung to him, and ignore every wrong he had ever done. What twisted, perverse game was this, where he was to meet her, untainted of her memories of what he had allowed to happen to her? Where his own will gave way, and (unwanted) truth started to worm its way into his life?

The ground was breaking again.

"Perhaps we will find a way out..." No, his mind screamed, we won't. The moment her voice faded into silence a deep groan reverberated through the world, rocked up his legs as a deep rift of gold split the world. It sucked the brilliance out of him, the glow of his eyes dulling, fading, even as the nightmare howled and shrieked, pushed away by this sudden onslaught of light. It blinded him, too, and he flung his head aside. The fissure clawed its way closer, splitting rocks and tumbling them into its depth, slowly tearing the world apart — with another earth-deep boom another gap of gold opened, yawning at the world. Skittish and restless, Mauja danced aside from Ophelia, as if to flee, but a sheet of gold and a crumble of the ground had him shying back again. The glow bled out from his eyes until they were nothing but icy blue, panicked and blanked; he'd given up on being sensible and sane, given up on staying calm. He couldn't, not when it felt like his soul was being torn from his body.

From afar came an air-splitting cry, a shriek which blazed a path through the shadowy hordes of ghouls, and on wings guided by desperation the pale shape of Irma swept in. The crevices hemmed him in on all sides but one, the hungry erosion of the world nearly at his hooves, and for a moment of lucidity his head snapped around, to look at her. Sincerity and fear battled for dominion in his intense gaze, and as the final crack, the final geyser of gold, split the ground between them, he told her through the sparks and rays of gilded light, "I have damned myself."

The next moment Irma's talons latched onto his poll, and together they spiraled into oblivion, falling through the hole in the world blazed with gold.

Upon a Frostbreath the world today did not know, Mauja's icy blue eyes slowly slipped open, and stared at a pale sunrise devoid of life.
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

OPHELIA & TINEK</style>
Heavens ablaze in our eyes, we're standing still in time
the blood on our hands is the wine, we offer a sacrifice
</style>

Ophelia stayed with him closely, explaining that maybe, just maybe, if they moved forward, she would find a way to bring him back. The universe had other ideas. A roaring starting in her hears that began as an itch in the back of her mind. She looked at Mauja and watched the gold light drain from his pelt, the skin regrowing and fusing. Gold orbs seemed to fade, and just as she had feared his change to gold, she fear his return to who he had been before. A groan followed shortly after, as if their dream was merely a construct and the foundations were weakening. She tilted her ears against her neck, furrowed brows over narrowed eyes trying to find a way out. Her heart was beating faster.

Cloven hooves danced in place, and she jerked her head backward when a crack spread through the middle of the cave floor, sucking the life from his eyes. When he darted, she tried to move with him, ears pressed flat to block out the screaming. He moved back to her, and she stayed close, muzzle firmly pressed under his mane for as long as she was able. His icy blue eyes held a panic and fear that she was unable to feel, incapable of feeling with her physiology, though her heart beat fast and her limbs refused to stop moving. The geyser of gold split between them, and she widened her eyes, leaping at the edge. "No!" she barked, analyzing the rift, guessing if she could leap.

Sounds seemed to fade as he spoke, and she furrowed her brows, not understanding what he meant. How could she? "Mauja..." she replied, almost softly. Ophelia met his blue eyes with kindness and worry.

The ground gave way beneath his hooves like a waterfall, and he tumbled. She lurched forward, trying to snap with her teeth and grab him (foolishly), but she only managed to feel her own hooves slide against the rock, nearly tumbling in herself. At least he was not alone, as his owl followed. Everything slowed to a meaningless pace as he fell, his figure disappearing into a blackness to dark to see, and she was left alone, breathing heavily. Ophelia had failed, and she clenched her jaw, emotions rising high. "Damn this!" she barked, knowing that she had broken her promise.

Suddenly she woke.

A bitter chill from shifted winds hit her on the face, crystallizing tears that had rolled down her face in her dreams. Carefully, she cracked open her dual colored eyes, staring at the white, pristine horizon. All of it had been a dream, and she remained alone. She remained a traitor to her friends and family, lost among the a sea of faces she did not know. Quietly, she gathered her limbs beneath her and bowed her head, a hitching breath and a dully thudding heart the only real memories of her dream that she had left. Everything else was merely imprinted in her mind. She pressed north, not even looking back to the world she was leaving behind.

BOOM | Horse | Background

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!