the Rift

I Was Walking With a Ghost [Mandrake, Wilder]

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

Lost stallion wanders to his father's grave and his birthplace. Trailed by his one love and shadow, he is not quite alone. The bond that would lend him her whispered emotions and tender advice is broken, but she follows still. He is not yet alone.

And though he feels a monster, he seeks comfort. Undeserved, perhaps, but comfort nonetheless. His heavy steps carry him through the wood and send shudders through the earth. He stomps with each step, trying to feel the world shake beneath him as it would beneath his brother Archibald. But he lacks the power and the control; he only kicks up dust. Behind him Manhattan whines, begging him to turn back. The task granted to him by the Goddess of the Moon is not worth the pain of returning here. The pain of the memory of being born, and the familiar tang of blood on his lips that he will surely taste when he sees his father's bones... none of it is worth the magic.

Her advice is unheard and thus unheeded- the stallion walks onward. Knox scans the clearing with silver-blue eyes and a sight willfully undamped. He longs for the warmth he hopes to find in empty, soulless bodies of his forefathers. He does not consider that the darkness rests within them too, that it is something so eternal that it can never be cast out. He only wants to feel. And so he parts new grasses with a steady walking beat, and he lets the wind of the dark forest pull him in. This place, the closest place to one of belonging, is where his father died.

He wonders if, had he been older, he would have helped in the murder. Surely he would have obeyed mother, surely he would have forgotten Roanne the Sentinel. But Mandrake had made a mistake when she placed the bridle over the colt's brow. She had given him a relic of the old country, and given him the sense that he did not belong. A part of him still rested with Roanne's bones, hidden beneath the flecks of dried blood that coated them and hid beneath decaying skin. He finds the corpse now, sees what is left of it.

He did not think he would feel anything; he thought he would simply take an article of his dead father's body and depart to find his mother. He was wrong, he was so very wrong. And though it is a weakness, he falls. He falls to his knees and lets his heart fall as well. He wonders then, in that moment of utter depression, if he ever felt hope in this world. It is Manhattan's soft touch against him that keeps him from giving in. Her steady blue gaze that grounds him, and the warmth of her beside him that lets him breathe again.

It is just a ghost- the clean white bones of a ghost. Decay slowed by Frostfall has hastened in Birdsong, and the bones lie a clean white. He pulls himself closer but stays against the earth, appreciating its support. Slowly he parts his lips and reaches out with teeth that have killed. Slowly, he grips the hilt of one of his father's bones. Manhattan seems to fade away beside him and thought of his father slowly occupies his mind. In the cold, damp, dark of the early evening, Knox is alone with a ghost.

</style>

Mandrake Posts: 53
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: 15
Alex

.M A N D R A K E.
i am your nightmare

I have wandered back to this forlorn site some time ago, leaving the Foothills, peaceful as I believe, with my sons. I am glad to see Tajheri has joined us, finally realizing his place is not fighting shades in Isilme. Evers is... Evers, as usual. Knox has made his first kill. Archibald is practicing his fighting skills, a fact which I am pleased to see. Glad? No. I don't feel... glad. Glad is too light for my dark ways.

The bones are white. Stripped clean, from elements or predators; a crisp, uniform white against the black of the deep forest floor. I can remember him, the Sentinel, the one enraptured by my dark charm. Does he watch over his son from his death? I resist the urge to laugh at such thoughts. He never suspected... just like the others who have sired my sons. The few that dared give me a filly; well, they suffered as they deserved in the moments before their death.

I stand there for hours near the white bones, long enough that night falls and sun rises and night falls again. Even during daylight, the forest is so entombed in darkness light does not pierce the canopy woven thickly of black leaves. The ground remains in its black shadow, remains soft and rustling to warn me of any other's approach.

I am resting a hoof, stone eyes sharp as ever, letting the last thoughts of him and Knox come through my head when an ebony shadow detaches itself from the cloak of darkness. No, not fully obsidian, for that muscled neck so reminiscent of his father's cursed form is dappled with glistening silver. Then there is a second, smaller form tagging behind my son, the dog Manhatten, who, if I remember correctly, was attacked by Archibald as my sons had argued. That had been a pitiful day.

"Knox." I finally say after observing his teeth close around the bone. What, I wonder, has driven him here to all places? Why does he come to lift the clean white bone of his father off the ground? Does he wish to carry a piece of his sire around with him? If so, I will not be pleased. I am his mother, he should not need anyone else but I and his brothers. "Knox." I repeat, stepping from the welcoming darkness cast by the oak I had hidden behind in my silent vigil over the white bones. "What are you doing here?" One may have thought shouting would be more effective for frightening. But an angry killer is never as terrifying as a cold killer.

Wilder Posts: 5
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 18
Alex

Wilder</style>

He'd been gone far too long. That much was quite obvious to the stallion. Though not by choice, and now that the opportunity had presented itself, he was headed back home, to his mother and brothers. Thankfully he had wings- flying was a much more convenient way to travel. Shaking his delicate head, the crane wings brought him back home to the Foothills. Much to his disappointment, Mother hadn't been there; a few of his brothers were present, but aside from a quick nod of acknowledgement, he paid them no mind. They were, in the long run, unimportant. He only put up with them because Mother said too. Brothers looked out after one another; and Mother was always right. Logic would dictate that he simply wait- surely she'd be home soon. Then again, logic always got thrown out the window when it came to Mandrake. His mother. That title both filled him with a sense of purpose and wellbeing, while also being a knife driven into a bleeding wound. After all, while he did his best to suppress it, he held desires for the mare- desires and urges he hid as much as he could, knowing the damning consequences of such an attraction. Still though, every now and then they got the better of him. He was getting more control over himself though. Or at least, so he thought.

He should stay here. He should wait. But he’s not going to. Naturally. The ground was covered in mud, watered well by the melting snow, soft and sticky beneath his grey hooves. Black tipped wings outstretching, the stallion casted another glance backwards at the herd before taking off. Though Wilder was finding himself tiring of flight, if only for the moment as he’d spent so much time in the air as of late, it was the quickest way to find her. Earth, he only hoped that she would be alone- or at the very least with a son. That was preferable to the alternative; regardless of her intentions for them, Wilder would not be able to refrain from killing any strange stallion on the spot. Glancing down, he spotted Knox- curious, he hovered over the tree line for a moment. The wind shifted, threatening to rip Wilder straight from the sky and toss him right back into the ground, when he caught an all too familiar scent- While not entirely certain, it wouldn’t be too far of a stretch to assume Knox was meeting Mother in the woods? Or maybe something to do with the fact that his father was buried in those trees- but that was silliness. Why would he want to pay his old man any respects?

Lowering himself, Wilder touched down on the ground, taking a moment for his legs to adjust actually having to work. Tucking his wings in, Wilder quietly made his way after Knox and the shadowed mongrel at his feet. Neither seemed aware of the eldest’s presence, though that was fine with him- It was no trouble to keep his distance and still follow, having a path of newly disturbed flooring to lead him.

Low and behold, Knox led Wilder straight to a pile of bleached bones. Not entirely certain if he felt like making his presence known- after all, surely Mother would be interested in hearing about this- when his mother wasn’t even present, his choice was made for him when Mandrake stepped from the shadows. A ghost of a smile flickered across his lips before vanishing just as fast. Maybe he should have waited- after all, was an inevitable reprimand to his brother an adequate time to pop out of the wood work. But still, he couldn’t help himself. What devoted son hid from his mother?

Stepping into the light, he gave a quick nod to Knox.

"Mother."

Doubt thou the stars are fire,
Doubt that the sun doth move,
Doubt truth to be a liar,
But never doubt I love.</style>

credit

Jen

Lost stallion hears the voices of his family in quick succession and wants them gone. Funny that the one he seeks is the one he wishes to be rid of now. Mandrake is like a figure outgrown, something he clung to in childhood but no rises above. She may tell him to kill and he may listen, but he does not feel a connection with her- not like Archibald, Kipp, or Vincent, the others birthed to her aside from himself. He knows that he needs her for this task, however, and that after his latest kill she is certain to oblige, so he behaves.

She is only certain to oblige if he does not let the connection he feels with his father show. She need not know the entire truth behind the task presented, she will likely see it as a sign of disrespect and partial disowning. If there is anything he cannot do now is offend her, for without her cooperation he will have nothing and will have failed his Goddess. It will be easy enough to lie to her, he thinks- or at least give her only the partial truth. Mandrake is powerful and can do many things, but a stallion lacking emotion as Knox is, is quick to lie and skilled as well.

But just as it may have all gone simply, Wilder arrives. It is not a surprise to see his mother's white shadow when he thinks of it at first, but then the realization of how long it has been since he has seen his eldest brother dawns upon him. He was present only at his birth, was he not? Knox struggles to remember seeing the feathered ancient at any other time or in any other place. Archibald, Casimir, and Evers have always been prominent influences, but his other brothers have seemed to fade. Even Vincent, normally attached to Archibald at the hip, has been scarce. He wonders if they avoid him, or if it is he who avoids them.

Regardless, he must show respect. The bone and his head drop as his body rises in greeting. "Mother, Wilder," he says with a sideways shift of his leg to nudge Manhattan to stand. Had their bond been close he would have not needed to remind her, but it has been some time since they have been in such a formal setting. There is a tenseness in the air, a suspense that hangs as he considers each word carefully. "The Goddess of the Moon has sent me here, Mother, so that I might grow stronger," begins the half truth. Stronger, yes, but not in a way she will appreciate. He walks closer to his arabian brother, looks over his scarred and lean figure with faint curiosity. He did not remember Wilder to be so short; in comparison to his own physique he hardly finds him intimidating, regardless of the experience he carries with him. Still he will do well to keep his mouth shut; he had already risked a battle with Archibald, and upsetting Mandrake now with such a habit would do no good. "She asks that I bring her a bone from the body of the sentinel, carved by your claws," he says with instruction and a disinterested glance down upon the corpse. He can only hope that from their place in the shadows they did not see his reaction.

Manhattan whines at his feet, carrying in her jaws a bone to present to his mother- the same bone he had picked up himself. He nuzzles his companion lightly and turns to his mother now, looking at her expectantly, hoping she will agree. "I would give you whatever you require of me in return, mother," Knox adds for assurance. Perhaps motherly love will overtake her, however- perhaps out of the kindness of her shriveled old heart, she will grant him this favor.

</style>

Mandrake Posts: 53
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: 15
Alex

.M A N D R A K E.
i am your nightmare

I watch him, silent, taking note of the way he composes himself. Who does he take after, I wonder, Archibald or Evers? Or is he entirely his own being? My sons do vary from one to another, but lately I've noticed there are, essentially, two patterns- the quiet diplomats, the fighters. Once, I would've thought diplomats useless, but they do have their own certain benefits. They are tricksters, at least in my eyes, liars and soothers. In some ways, they are more like me, for less and less often I resort to fighting, only manipulation, as I had done with Histe before the white queen sitting haughtily upon her throne had hit the dirt.

Mother. If there is one thing I was not expecting, it was Wilders. I raise my head, sharp silver eyes finding his snow-white form marked by a hundred crisp scars. Where has he been, the lax pegasus? There are the black tears under his eyes, as I remember, but where has he been? It has been so long... too long... for his absence to go unnoticed. But that deserves a conversation of its own. A different horse may have dipped its head to acknowledge the white being, but I do not bow my head to anyone, except under false circumstances. So I let my stone eyes rest on him, let them speak the brief anger and surprise I felt take hold, before I turn my head back to black son Knox.

My name is spoken and my later-born son rises, the bone fallen from his inky mouth, as does the ebony bitch at his side. I forgot how he stands even a tiny bit taller than me. I forgot how he is so shockingly like his father. But in this case, I enjoy his looks, for it reminds me of my triumph. I would never guess the thoughts of Roanne that haunt Knox. I remember, noble Roanne's son, turned murderer. I remember his kill, not too long ago, and I savor the image, before it fades away to be replaced by Knox's quiet voice.

He is in my favour right now, unlike Wilder for his disappearing act, and I listen thoughtfully as my younger son talks. I can see nothing wrong with his plan, and I see no reason to question what power he seeks, for that is his own concern so long as it makes him stronger, until- I would give you whatever you require of me in return, mother. Is that so? I do not give away the stirrings of disappointment and anger, not by a twitch of my skin. Should he not do that already? Perhaps he is not as well-trained to obey as I believed.

"If you want a souvenir for the gods who grant you your strength, I have no problem with that." I keep my voice cool and knife-sharp.

Then there is pain. Intense pain that explodes through my nervous system and radiates out to every bone and muscle as my form reworks itself, muscle shifts, bones grind together, and sinew knits a furious new pattern. My spine elongates, and I am on fire. Then, as quick as it came, the pain is gone, and for a long ten seconds I am weak and empty from the deep-rooted fire that had extinguished all thought for those long seconds. I would be shaking, but I would not be- I am Mandrake, after all.

I find that the black dog has presented one bone to me, and I step forward, black fur rippling over my muscular frame, and one of my paws crush another bleached bone underfoot. I unsheathe my claws, and the glittering ebony instruments of humbling pain sink into the soft skin of the forest floor. I reach out, and there is a cry, a wail of pain from the bone as my claws marks it down with four deep scratches. My whiskers twitch and with my right fore, I nudge the bone towards Knox's companion.

"Knox, there it is. Consider it a favor of approval for your first kill. I remind you of your place now- you should always be doing what I ask of you, my killer." My voice is firm, and although not described as kind, it is not venom-edged at least. "As for you, Wilder... your disappearance does not speak kindly towards you. Where have you been, eldest son?" I growl, and my ebony-furred tail-tip flicks impatiently. His excuse must be good, or else...

Wilder Posts: 5
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 18
Alex
(12-28-2012, 03:00 PM)Wilder Wrote:

Wilder</style>

He failed her. He knows it, even if she doesn't. And now that Wilder returned empty handed? Not only that- he failed her twice. Thrice if you wanted to get damn technical about it. Well naturally the disappointment and tendrils of self loathing were gnawing on his insides like dogs who'd been handed bones. It had slipped his mind as he'd vanished- telling her he was leaving. Or at least that was the lie he'd told himself so often over the past months (wasn't it bordering a year now?) that he'd believed it to be truth, because the idea of being dishonest with her was condemnable.

He'd forgotten. It was plausible. His mood hadn't exactly been bright and cheery either- the extreme opposite, in one of the more vicious downward spirals as he'd yet once more tried to come to grips with his damnable attraction to Mandrake. Sick as it was, he couldn't help himself.

He knew she loved her sons. Well, as close to love as she was capable of. By no means did Wilder live in some imaginary world where she was soft and snugly. Knowing this, his plan had been perfect. Find the boys, bring them home, problem solved, and he'd win favor with Mandrake. Or so he'd prayed.

Really it had been sheer stubbornness and... Fear. He didn't know what to do if he failed. Wilder never failed her; anything Mandrake needed- anything- would be done by the snowy son with only the tiniest inclination, and he'd assume she wanted the task completed immediately. Mandrake could and should consider the task done the second it was mentioned. He's ashamed of himself, his failure. It's branded on him now, contrasting against his light coat vididly- could they not see it? He's not sure why he bothered coming home in the first place like this. Probably should have called it quits a long while ago. But he couldn't fail her. Only recently had he finally swallowed his pride and decided to deal with the consequences. He doesn't care. Knowing that he's by her side is all he needs, even if she's feeling murderous inclinations towards him. His loyalty never wavered.

Watching the dark boy with a fixed gaze, he's torn between wanting to avert his eyes from Mother's gaze and not being able to look away- he's missed her quite terribly but tries to hide it. She's not pleased. He knows it. There's no outward inclination, but he knows his mother, and knows she doesn't know where he went or why. And when she found out it was all for nought?

Oh, he knew he'd be lucky to make it with both eyes and ears still attached to his figure. But he's not running, resignation written across his face in an attempt to reduce the burning brand scrawled across his body. Wings kept up. The battle scared veteran watched the exchange between mother and son. If he allowed himself to think such thoughts, Wilder would find himself extremely jealous of the black boy. He was of Mandrake's blood. Though he knew it made no real difference in the long run, blood or not, it was significant enough that it would bother him if he took the time to dwell on it. But he's better than Knox. He knows it all the way down to his bones- better than the rest of them. He was the eldest, the first born.

She shifts, carving into the bones of the fallen stallion. Jealousy eats at him as the attention is paid to the youngest yet he is forced to sit in the shadows, barely having his presence acknowledged. Oh, and of course Knox had to make his first kill while his brother was away.

If the Gods had any mercy, he would be struck down so as not to deal with his shame. He thought he had a handle of things- on the outside he did, but at the feet of Mandrake. Well. He always betrayed himself to her.

And then its his turn. He knows she's not going to be pleased. But he doesn't care. His fallacy isn't enough for her to take his life, and he's so attention starved for her right now he doesn't care if she's perfectly capable of ripping his jugular out and leaving him to bleed like the stallion who'd once owned those bleached bones. His face is completely devoid of any and all emotion aside from the devotion he holds for her- even if it would save him to think of something, anything, he's not going to lie.

Consequences be damned.

"I was searching for Emerson and Kipp. I failed."

Doubt thou the stars are fire,
Doubt that the sun doth move,
Doubt truth to be a liar,
But never doubt I love.</style>

credit

Jen
[[So so sorry for my owed reply- given that Mandrake is back UFA, however, it might make sense to postpone this anyway. We can RP these two some other time?]]