the Rift

[Judge] Question, Part II [Rome]

Svetlana Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

[Image: b_and_w_by_ladyfey-d5j1ndw.png]

SVETLANA
the StormChaser

I did note, rather sharply, of her use of what was once... not my title; my, what, exactly? I guess a deferential expression to me. My Lady. But I was not her lady, not any longer, for worse I think, yet maybe for the better. I wondered if perhaps I should tell her of that, but I remained quiet for the time-being, listening silent to her and her commentary of the scene where the two black horses and the russet Chief had charged me before I had taken off. Unlike Leander, I was not so much surprised to see them chasing me off; they were his herd. Even thinking about it made me a little uneasy- was I trying to pit myself against the whole of Helovia? Maybe I should seek council of the gods, but then again, the gods have not done much to turn luck in my favour since coming to Helovia.

"Romani. I am not your lady anymore, even if I wish it were so." I finally say, after thinking over my words carefully. There was no need to rush into this conversation, for it was a delicate matter and unless she were to join me, I would hope there would be no leaks all over Helovia about my plan. Or Leander's? I really needed to speak with him about the wisdom of angering two of the three herds who may have been likely to help us, although it was my fault as well. I shift my weight, and although my eyes lay steady on her, my mind is whirling away trying to decipher what I should say next.

"I... I have not been the wisest. I sought refuge with Leander the Lionheart, and he accepted me, much to my relief. However, he questioned the wisdom of Kri's leadership. I trust him, and so I quite foolishly challenged Kri without thinking of the consequences; and I lost." I hum for a moment, undecided. "I and Leander have come with the idea to create a band of horses, of all races, in our search for a land where we can create and develop as we please and as we think fairly- where we can help others who have been unfairly cast out, or in need of someone who can help them." I stop, thinking carefully again before turning my attention to her. "Just as Leander feels Kri's wisdom is clouded by her anger, I feel that there it was unjust for me to be turned out as I was, when I have only done my best for the herd."

The shadows are deepening over my chiseled features, and I close my eyes momentarily, a weight pressing down on me. Speaking of it, I feel so ignorant and clumsy. "But that is enough of those more complicated matters- for now, let us spar for a minute and forget. Let us soften our blows and not harm each other too bad, hmm?" I say, and then I leap forward to her, slipping past her in a wave of silken black feathers and a toss of my tail.

I arch my neck, nip at her red withers, at least that is where I aim. My ears are not pinned, for it is only a game, and I strike out at her left foreleg when my head is roughly level with her hind. My blood and heart is not pounding inside me, instead I view the dark shadowy world with a kind of neutrality.

Yet my wings are half-roused, even if I say I am relaxed. And then, to avoid hitting one of the trees that shall make this a fun game, I leap five feet up the tree, wings half-spread, and push off, twisting around to bounce onto the forest floor scattered with dead leaves and broken branches; to face Romani again. I am smiling now, for it seems in this chaotically predominantly shadow-encased world it is a little bit lighter in my heart. It does seem a fight will have you forget anything at all.

WC: 675
Other: 1/2, 0/1 defense post.

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

R O M A N I
I Want You to Come in Closer

’Romani. I am not your lady anymore, even if I wish it were so.’

The words, so softly spoken by Svetlana’s lips filled the Haflinger mare with a sort of unfathomable sadness, and an undeniable feeling of frustration for not being able to do anything to help blossomed in the mare’s breast. The words were so… So not Svetlana that it was painful to hear, and immediately Romani wanted to speak up in protest, to ask just where the StormChaser that she remembered had gone, the one fuelled by fire and determination. Remaining the loyal soldier that she was, however, the red mare bit her tongue and remained quiet, simply soaking in the words that her once-leader divulged.

This Leander and Kri were unfamiliar to the compact mare, but she knew Kri was the Sultana of the Dragon’s Throat, a herdland she had never ventured to. As Svetlana went on, speaking of a group, of forming a band alongside Leander constructed of creatures who had been wronged in their lifetime, Romani felt her blood begin to run. The idea seemed so rational, so true and just, that she couldn’t simply cast the idea aside as foolery. Joining such a band would mean leaving the Foothills and becoming an outcast alongside Svetlana, but… Could she do it? Could she leave behind Abdullah, Ambrosine, and maybe little Nayati? Could she leave behind the title of ‘Warrior’ that she had fought so hard to achieve? Or the home she had learned to love and protect?

Yet, the thought of this rebel band seemed so very appealing. Maybe if she joined Svetlana, perhaps she could go in search of Xanthos and recruit him as well, for Romani couldn’t imagine anyone suited better for such a group. While a member of the Basin, and the Plague, the palomino knew that Xanthos didn’t share their harsh and manipulative ways and views of Unicorn Supremacy. He was a gentle creature, and a sturdy warrior… Perhaps, after parting ways with Svetlana, she would go in search of the grullo. If he agreed, it would also allow them to finally be together, not having to worry about hiding behind other’s backs…

Then, one of the last things for Svetlana to propose happened. A spar? “Very well, Svetlana. A gentle spar sounds invigorating.” To simply act on a softer side of instinct, to forget their troubles, even if it were for a little while would be for their benefit, Romani imagined. Svetlana gave little time for her to prepare herself, however, but immediately Romani could tell that the StormChaser’s heart wasn’t in it. Her charge forward lacked a warrior’s fire, and her facial features were remarkably calm, and that served as a reminder once again that this was just a simple scrap.

The shadows and thick vegetation around them would prove to make things all the more difficult, especially with Romani’s bulky size. Grace was not her forte, and surely with Svetlana’s wings the Pegasus would be able to catch her balance far more easily than the Haflinger. When Svetlana makes her attack, if one could even call half-hearted action such, there isn’t far that Romani could go to avoid the move. She shied sideways from the ivory mare, her hooves raised higher than normal each time she stepped to avoid colliding into any obtrusive roots that may be sticking from the ground. While Romani was capable to avoid the kick to her foreleg, Svetlana’s teeth still grazed her withers, pulling red hair from her hide. Although painful, it wasn’t too bad, not near as bad as the bite she had received from Archibald during her test spar to become a warrior.

Once Svetlana has moved past and Romani has whipped around to face the Pegasus, she took a step back and evened out her breath, calming her mind like she had been taught. With an inhale, then, she moved towards Svetlana, muscled haunches pushing her off the ground and towards her ‘opponent’, steps high to stay clear of the vegetation. It probably wasn’t the most graceful of ways to go about it, but in the tight restrains of the forest, she would improvise if she had to. Coming up to Svetlana’s front, Romani suddenly darted to the mare’s right side, baring her teeth to attempt a bite upon the StormChaser’s right flank. Her jaws didn’t hold the power behind them as if this had been a real fight, her mind telling her over and over that this was simply a spar, and would not be treated like a battle. That had been her downfall when she had fought Archibald; Romani’s mind had confused the two, causing her to act irrationally. Now, however, with a clearer head, she hoped that her improvement would be rewarded.

[OOC: Words – 796. Attack 1 / 2. Romani avoids Svetlana’s kick to her leg but is still bitten in the withers, then she charges and attempts a bite onto Svetlana’s right flank.]

Unregistered

SVETLANA
the StormChaser

There is a slight jolt as her teeth graze my flank- softened, nevertheless, but still a little prick of annoyance finds a place in my chest. It won't be easy to simply turn around and bite her- no, it would be illogical. Instead, I drop my head, brace my shoulder for impact, and attempt to ram her with the silver shoulder, not hard enough to bruise if it hit her barrel, which was where I was aiming, but a good little buffet.

I remember how effective a body slam is, especially when in the air. Kri had done so to me, leaving me panicking and trying to find the air under my wings as I had scrambled, unbalanced, to collect myself. The little tank had been an excellent fighter. I wonder how old she was, where she had come from. Had she ever invaded my homeland? I wouldn't be surprised. Svikruch was a place full of wars.

Then I depart from Romani with two, three strides of canter, careful to keep myself light and flexible, asorbing any jolt that may come from a carelessly placed hoof on the uneven soil below. My tail switches as I slip by, one move which, if I aimed correctly, would be a stinging slap to the face. Another move full of attitude Kri had used on me; at least I had learned from my defeat with her. After these three cantering strides, I halt sharply, I spin on my haunches with a slight lifting of my forelegs. My wings are roused and my bewitching black eyes are sparkling. I breathe evenly, a skill difficult to master; so often does one in battle hold their breath, immobilizing and stiffening the muscle, or breathe too quick. The key is to find a balance that allows the blood to flow smooth and irregular, even if your heart is a wild galloping beast in your chest.

My eyes struggle to adjust the dim, shifting black light as the shadows flicker over the discrepant ground. One of my hinds crush another small twig underfoot, and a thin, whip-like pine branch slap my ivory cheek. I was coming back for a charge. Should I, I wonder, try and leap on her as I had done with Murder? No. I don't want to crush her, and besides, I am hardly be able to open my wings in this tree-crowded place. Maybe if I were in an open glade or forest. I twist around the fir tree trying to block my way, back to Romani, and rear up, hooves ready to, hopefully, hit her in the head, should she not move or dodge or come up to me. But I would soften the blows if I could.

I'm lucky she doesn't have a unicorn horn. I can only remember the dull thud as the blue unicorn Murder smashed me with his curved-back horns, sending me reeling and gasping for breath. Maybe I am a cocky mare. The more I remember, the more I remember all my fighting faults. You have won against countless in Svikruch. And Validino. Yes, I suppose I have- but I need to beat horses here in Helovia, not in a land far away.

Svikruch is not my home anymore, nor is Angela my best friend or Jezabelle the Fighter my companion. I no longer charge into the fray and paint blood on my lips and face with the other warrior-girls of that cold icy land, where fighting and honor is everything. Neither do I watch and command, wings beating to keep myself aloft as I try to remain out of sight from the enemy, ordering the troops. I am not the Khan's lover. Nor is he my lover.

Yet I am still Svetlana. I can still win this fight. I still want to taste victory and still want to be on top. I want to know I am still the fighter I once was. I want to be known as a fighter in this land, and admired as one. I want to be Svetlana the Stormchaser again, for right now, I am only a mischief-maker and outlaw and a problem. I have lost my honor, lost everything. What more do I have to lose? Why are you thinking this way? Yes, why am I? I still have hope, do I not? That chance to become something again? I still, maybe, may one day make amends.

WC: 737
Other: 2/2, 0/1 defense post.

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

There was a moment of triumph that blossomed in the Haflinger’s chest when her teeth snapped across Svetlana’s flank, leaving her with a mouthful off silvered fur. The attack wasn’t meant to break flesh, or at least gnaw in too deeply, and she hoped that the move wouldn’t harm the Pegasus too much. The thought and the feeling of victory both fled her mind, knowing that she couldn’t get too excited about landing one hit; the spar wasn’t over. Azure eyes flicked back towards her opponent’s front and she jerked her head to the side, wanting to make sure that her head was safely away from Svetlana’s hindquarters before the ivory mare’s next attack. It was then that she recognized what Svetlana was doing, bracing her lithe muscles and lowering her head and then moved; a quick buffet with her shoulder to Romani’s barrel was all she needed to be pushed off-balance, and quickly Romani scrambled to collect her bulky size before she would trip and fall.

Deep grey hooves found purchase on the mossy ground and her head swung back around, cream forelock falling gracelessly across her eyes just as Svetlana’s tail whipped her across the cheek. It stung, but it was nothing that would slow her down. Despite the obtrusive view, the red mare followed Svetlana’s form as it darted three paces away before raising herself slightly off the ground and turning on her haunches. Surely the buffet wasn’t her form of attack?

Pushing off the ground with her forelegs and spinning on her own hind legs, Romani once more turned to face the Stormchaser, preparing herself for what was to come. Cool blue eyes watched as Svetlana moved closer to the palomino and pushed her larger body up onto her hind legs, front hooves lashing out in an obvious attempt to hit her across the head. The attack wasn’t near as ferocious as it could have been, due to their agreement that this would be a gentle spar, but regardless Romani knew she would need to act fast in order to avoid the blow.

The position that they stood now starkly reminded the warrior of her spar with Archibald, and her own final attack. She had just torn away from the Dauntless and had spun around to make her final move, rearing as high in the air as she could manage, intending to land a blow to the Shire’s head when he had made his counterattack. Archibald, ever the more experienced fighter, had buffeted her body from underneath with his own and caused her to lose balance… Perhaps, in the position that she and Svetlana were in now, she could do the same. Making her decision and collecting her breath, Romani lowered her head and pushed off the ground with muscled legs, nostrils flaring and ears tipping back slightly. There was a chance she could get hit still from one of Svetlana’s flailing hooves, but hopefully the outcome would be in her favor…

The moment that she closed the distance between she and Svetlana, one of the silvered mare’s hooves scraped against her cranium, ripping bits of short hair from her blazed face. It would draw a bit of blood and scab over, but otherwise wouldn’t be too much of a concern. It didn’t stop the intensity of the pain, however, and the Haflinger grit her teeth, a soft hiss of pain escaping her lips, but she kept moving. Neck and head turned to the side as she attempted to move under Svetlana’s hooves, clearly exposing her muscled shoulders and she lunged forward once more, hoping to collide into the underside of Svetlana’s chest and throw the Pegasus off balance.

[OOC: Wordcount – 613. Attack 2/2. Romani lunges forward when Svetlana rears, taking a blow to her face, but intends to ram her shoulder into Svetlana’s undercarriage to try and knock her off balance/push her away.]

The true Soldier fights not because
He hates what is in front of him,
But because he loves what is behind him.

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Unregistered

SVETLANA
the StormChaser

My shoulder collided with her side, and for a moment, there was warmth as we brushed together, a small flare of heat against the constant chill of the forest locked in shadows. Not so luckily, my wing got caught at an awkward angle even as the compact little mare tried to find her balance. Black against gold. It was an image that flared in my mind, an image of something so long ago it had been buried deeply under the pressures of leadership.

Then as quick as it came, that image of extended ebony primaries against gilded aureate was gone, and the muscles in my shoulders popped and twisted as I cantered past, blood rushing in my veins, my heart pumping away in my silver chest. Mostly, the buffet had been a hope for an allowance of time- time to turn, time to launch another attack. I didn't notice the pain so much along my barrel, where the silky gray hairs had been neatly scraped away to expose a sheen of light blood flow. The blow inflicted by the Halflinger's teeth had been softened, of course, by Romani, for it was important to remember the differences between spars and battles. It wasn't anger I had felt, still I mostly felt this cool calm, but maybe a kink of annoyance.

Looking back, a quick cow kick may have been a good idea, but I was already out of reach, and although without nerves in my tail-hairs I was not aware of it, I had managed my stinging slap to that pretty gold face. Excellent.

I twisted around, the muscles along my spine crying out in protest, still sore from my hours of flying the last few days. I had been so very busy, and even now, I wondered how wise I had been to do as I had done and try as I had tried. After all, I had fought and lost two challenges over the course of only four or five days, not to mention I had also had flown nearly all over Helovia, no easy feat even for one in superb condition.

My hooves dig into the moss below as I rise up onto onyx hinds, ears pinned to skull, eyes sharp. Not cold, not warm. I am filled with this emptiness, this kind of cool, like my heart has been encased in glass. Not ice, no, ice is too hard and cold, just more empty and vacant. Glass, yes, glass is a good way to describe how I feel. Clear and prepared and cutting-edge.

If there was one thing I had not expected, perhaps it would be Rome's gallop towards me, as she barreled closer. One of my ebony hooves scraped along the flesh of the golden mare's head as she charged, and there is the sickening sensation of tearing flesh, even if the rip in hide is small and shallow. Once, I was a warrior of blood and fire, but now, things have changed.

The oxygen sustaining me is torn from my chest as she collided. Even for her side, she was sturdy and strong. I would have dropped, fallen over as I stumble back and away from her, if not for my wings. One massive black airfoil unfurls to hit the ground as I struggle to throw my weight back up. Green grass, turned dark by the lack of light, brushes my primaries, and then, my other wing slightly extended to provide a little bit of balance, I turn, gathering my hooves underneath me.

Should I continue to attack? No, this fight is done. I cannot taste victory, or defeat. Neither am I tired, instead light on my feet, heart racing. It's good to let matters be lost in my mind and far away, instead in this world of the present, focused firmly on my opponent.

"We are finished, Romani, let us relax." I say, perhaps panting a slight touch, as I shut my wings that I had allowed to rest on the ground. I want to fly right now, not be trapped in this forest of shadows. It would be nice, but it would be rude to leave Romani before discussing whether or not she wants to join me, or stay. Either way, I will understand, but I would hope she would remain with me.

WC: 720
Other: 1/2, 1/1 defense post.

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
Default win to Romani as Svetlana is now dead? =/ I can still judge it, just doesn't seem useful now? Up to Elope.

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable
Romani is welcome to the VP :)
WORDS OF COMPASSION ARE STRONGER THAN ANY ACT OF POWER.