the Rift

What is in a name?

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
larfsalot.deviantart.com

The numbness of the bond was chilling, it left the little shadowy creature feeling naked, vacant, empty. A part of her very soul had been muted, and as a result, a sense of disconnection, and loss, overwhelmed her for much of the time. Silence had become her new closest friend, it had replaced the glorious, glowing, golden caress of her beloved Akaith's own soul encompassing her own, carrying her through whatever grief she undoubtedly endured in her captivity. It was agonising, every time the little gold would leave the cave to hunt or otherwise relieve herself, Mirage would curl upon into herself, like a cat, hiding her eyes amidst her forelegs, pressing her ears flat against her skull. She would sulk, until the return of the golden one allowed her to unfold, to physically embrace the dragon as kin, as a mother, a sister, a daughter.

The numbness of the bond was, it would seem, lasting longer than she had originally anticipated. She wondered, idly, if she was the only on affected, having been kept in solitude, with only a single unicorn as her guard, although she knew others had come to gawk at her, stare and judge the great DragonHeart as she stood, alone and silent in the back of the cave which would hold her captive, golden eyes peering blankly at the onlookers, proffering no hints of what went on within her breast.

Slowly, however, she could feel the touch of her magic returning, the hints of Darkness and Fire churning within her. She had to wonder, did they know why she was called the Dragonheart?

The mare laid down once more, though this time, Akaith had not left the cave. Eyes shut tightly against the anticipation of what would come. Pain, sufferance and deep, agonising burning swallowed her, obliterated her, made her feel like she was being pommelled into the ground by a thousand heated swords. A groan escaped her, it was impossible not to, as her weakened condition, the magic of the transformation took its toll upon her. It was always painful, but this time had been particularly bad - she had never realised, or appreciated, just how much Akaith had numbed her pain when she had transformed previously.

It was over soon, the deed complete, the change whole. The mare now stood back up, only, she was no black mare. A golden dragon, the same size as what the little shadow normally stood, occupied the space. Serpentine nape curled her crown about, viewing the world through a different set of eyes; golden, slitted, predatory and sharp. She wasted no time in pulling herself forward, to the mouth of the cave, where her guard undoubtedly stood. Claws clacked against the stone, scratching the base of the cave like a carver etches designs into soft wood. Smoke rose from her nostrils, spinning grey tales of a fire kept inside for far too long. Akaith chirruped, clearly pleased with this change in her bonded, and took to the skies above her, hovering for a moment as they stood in the mouth of the cave, before clutching to a spike that rose from Mirage's long nape, and keenly watching the surrounds.

"Xanthos." Her voice was the same, accented, kind, but with a definitive dragon touch adding a deeper curl onto it. "It is time we spoke." The DragonHeart stretched her wings most purposefully then, following through with a long, elegant cat-stretch of her body, warming up the muscle ad sinew she would soon engage for flight. But first, she longed for a discussion with her guard.

[ For Xanthos. ]

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

I WILL LIVE FOR YOU

He still cannot believe his victory against the painted draft. She had come with high hopes of freeing his prisoner, the Weyrleader of the World's Edge. It's amazing that she has been otherwise unharmed by his herdmates, for he considers them nothing more, but he is unsure the reason. Unlike their general, he is not dark and intimidating, holding a promise of death within his golden eyes. Even if he had warded off the mare, he could not, and would not fend off another attacker. If someone else came, then let them have Mirage.

Standing outside the mouth of the cave had grown rather boring since capturing the Dragonheart, leaving him with a dreadful amount of time to think. Oh, he never knew where to start... Why was he here in the Basin, surrounded by racist unicorns? Most of them already regarded him with a look of disgust, and as of late, he had begun to look at them just the same. Why had he not left already, and gone to seek Romani? The words had not been spoken as of yet, but he was sure that, yes, he was in love with the palomino. Her heart, her desire to do what was right, and her love for her herd... It inspired him, drove him to keep going. Perhaps not the most wise of decisions, but he did not plan to stay much longer. He would wait, biding his time until only the the most opportune moment arose.

It had been an otherwise normal day in the Basin, full of boredom and self loathing for the grullo stallion. The sun had said it's farewells and dipped behind the towering mountains just a short while ago, enveloping the land with darkness. The full moon high above, however, provided ample lighting for the beings living beneath it. The aurora borealis was a spectacular phenomena to behold, something that Xanthos would miss if he were to leave this land, but it would be worth leaving behind if it meant freedom.

Suddenly, there was a voice, and the grullo instantly recognized it as Mirage's. Perhaps he had grown lazy in his guarding duties, or even uncaring, for he had not heard her until now, when she was stepping out from the cave. With a start he found himself moving a few steps away from her, from this dragon, who couuld only be Mirage. Akaith looked beyond joyous to be clinging to one of the many horns that protruded from the reptilian form of his prisoner. Inhaling a deep breath, Xanthos found it in himself to plant his feet deep into the ground, ignoring any instinct to run. He'd never seen something like this before, and if not for Mirage's surprisingly kind, yet rumbling voice, he might have run away. This was why she was regarded as the Dragonheart.

He swallowed thickly as he mulled over her words, and managed to put himself in a more relaxed position, even if her impressive wingspan was admittedly intimidating. "Of what do you wish to speak?" He finally spoke up, his own voice void of any ill emotion. Now, he was simply curious, wondering just what on earth this great leader would want with him. She could snatch him up and tear him to pieces, or simply take to the skies and fly away, yet she wanted to talk to him. "Please, tell me; I do not wish to hold you here any longer, Mirage, and I will not stop you should you wish to return home."

Silly words, indeed, for who would not want to return to their home, to their loved ones? Besides, it wasn't like he could hold her here against her will any longer.

BEFORE I DIE

Credits

larfsalot.deviantart.com

A smirk, scaly but true, curved the dragon's golden lips. Moonlight may have filled the sky, but so too did the lights that gave the Aurora Basin its name. They danced across the sky, and caused a thousand lights to reflect off the many gleaming scales, and onto the platform which they now stood. Though her eyes mostly lingered upon the grullo steed that was her captor, she could appreciate the beauty that existed in this realm. But she longed for salty sea winds to fill the vast, leathery expanse of skin that was strung between the bony parts of her wings, to soar above the sea as well as the harsh, sharp landscape that gave her home its name.

Kindness indeed, was shown as the dragon turned its keen, predatory gaze upon the unicorn, but no hunger for flesh existed behind those slitted eyes. The entire façade of the beast was softened, much like it had before when she regarded him, judged him as a fine soldier performing his duties with thorough efficiency, before the Moon Doctor had interrupted their reverie. Her eyes drank him, as they had drunk his silhouette standing in the mouth of the cave for much of this time. There was more to him, she was sure, he had hinted as much that first day she had awoken from his rough capture of her.

"I wish to speak of love, Xanthos." The dragon-mare had listened to his words, and nodded in acknowledgement that she was free to go. But she had more still to say; she longed to save this stallion from this torment he had placed himself into. "Have you ever felt its embrace?" She suspected he had, and that his choice of lover did not agree with the brethren he chose to keep. Why then, keep them at all? "I can offer protection, Xanthos, protection for loved ones, for you." There was earnest in her voice, the emotion brought her accent to the fore, the expression undeniably clear. She forgave him, for everything he had done against her, but more than that, she longed to help him, to release him from this place, that was much a prison for her as it was for him.

"I will return home, but it would be unwise for you to appear to your kin unscathed; say I overpowered you, and depart the lands like you would any other day - only do not return here. Come to the Edge, Xanthos. Come home."

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

I WILL LIVE FOR YOU

Although he couldn't see it for himself, Xanthos was sure that the expression crossing his face was pure confusion. He looked to the dragon figure with uncertainty, wondering just what in the world she could be talking about. As she went on, however, his questions slowly disappeared one by one.

He had felt the embrace of love long ago in the form of his mother, but he was sure that wasn't the kind she spoke of; or was it? The only other being he had come to love was the golden palomino of the Foothills, Romani. Their meetings had been few and always cut short, for he wished no harm to be brough upon her by the members of the Plague. He was terrified by the mere thoughts of what could happen to her, so as difficult as it was, he had always spaced himself far away and chose to remain in the Basin. Those had been Psyche's orders after all, that he was not allowed to leave. But he had not listened.

"Yes," he answered finally, meeting Mirage's slitted gaze with his own, glowing in the shine of the moon high in the sky, "I have. But is has been a long time." She continued then, speaking tales of protection for himself and those he held near and dear. Instantly his mind began to whirl, thinking of a life outside of the Basin, beyond the towering peaks of the mountains that surrounded him each and every day. It was an exciting thought, one that was growing on him at an alarming rate of speed. Finally, he could come and go as he pleased, do whatever he wanted, see Romani for as long and often as he wished.

Mirage was going to leave the Basin. Even if he wanted to stop her, which he didn't, it would be impossible; he knew not the true power of the Dragonheart in her normal form, let alone this beastly, dragonesque one. He could only imagine Psyche's rage for allowing the Weyrleader to escape, whether she knew it was on purpose or not. But the Empress was a sharp one, and he wouldn't be surprised if she saw through any little lie he might utter. Soon, though, he wouldn't have to worry about the shadow mare's rage and her hatred towards him.

Unable to help himself, Xanthos could feel the beginnings of a smile pull at his lips, and then finally, he gave a nod of his head. "I cannot thank you enough, Mirage. You haven't a clue how much this means to me; go, now, and I will head for the Edge in a short while. Thank you."

BEFORE I DIE

Credits

larfsalot.deviantart.com

Molten gold watched the reaction of the stallion closely, waiting, hoping. She had been betting on a gut feeling, an instinct, that he would hold similar values to herself, that he would strive to walk the same path as she, that she was not wasting time, threatening her own life, speaking to one that would turn against her. Sharp eyes peered into the stallion's very soul, searching, seeking absolute truth. The hope, the happiness, the transformation that swallowed the stallion, refreshed him, was surely too real to be an act. She wanted to believe him - and she did, enough at least, that a small sense of relief settled within her.

A toothy grin was returned, though she swiftly closed her lips, knowing her dragon form to be rather more intimidating than her equine one, and this was the first time he had experienced it - she was trying to make friends, not scare them away. Though I would enjoy scaring my enemies, at least for a moment, before flying away from here forever. The thought cascaded through her mind, and once again she was reminded of the numbness that existed between herself and her companion. Finally, now, she would be able to do something about it, to move and live and rejoice in her freedom.

A smokey snort left her nostrils, she blew it purposefully towards him, wanting to soak him in the smell of her fire, though without actually burning him. She had to mask him, in her own blood, to make it seem like he had put up a fight - in this act, she was already protecting him, offering her own blood as a mask for him to wear. Lifting her long, barbed tail with dexterity, she swung it around to her own shoulder, and though a snarl crossed her lips, she did not balk as it sliced into her flesh - only the sharpness of a dragon's claw could hope to make a mark through the scales of her hide. Twisting her view to behold her dragon, she nodded, and was glad she didn't need the bond to communicate what it was for her Akaith to do.

The little dragon dipped the tip of her own tail in the pooling blood, staining it crimson, giving her a murky, inky appearance in the moonlight. The little queen then flew, and in her flight, she arced herself over Xanthos, waving her tail, spattering the area, and hopefully him, with blood. She returned once, twice more to repeat the action, making sure the rocky platform looked like a struggle had been made. As blood dripped down Mirage's leg from the gash, she moved her foreleg in it, staining the ground with her claw marks - it would not do well to have the rest of the unicorns here think Xanthos was lying about her transformation, and so she made sure to leave evidence enough that whatever story he weaved about her struggle to escape would be seen as truth.

"Use my blood wisely." The DragonHeart spoke, serious and grave all of a sudden. "Our kin may not take well to your wearing of my blood, though I will inform them of your approach as swiftly as I am able. If I do not reach you first when you approach our borders, speak nothing but the truth, for it will set you free." Glancing to the cut upon her shoulder once more, she snarled again, before a deep rumbling rose up from within her. Heat filled her, and suddenly, there was flame spouting from the nostril nearest to the cut, and it was sealed, clotted and ready to heal. It still stung, and was an ugly red hue against her gleaming golden, but it no longer dripped blood whenever she moved.

Both dragons then strode to the edge of the platform, long napes arching over, as their multi-faceted eyes drank in the scenery for the last time. A grin was upon her lips, as her mighty jaws parted, and a deep, long dragonsong echoed out of her maw. Wings spread, and with a hefty leap into the skies, the DragonHeart made her way home.