the Rift

Paranoia Is In Bloom

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

I WILL LIVE FOR YOU

"She's escaped!"

A voice echoed throughout the Basin, cutting through the silence and surely waking anyone who had dozed off during that moonlit night. He had only called out when Mirage's draconian body was but a silhouette disappearing over the mountain's peak, not that anyone could stop her now regardless. The Weyrleader's words rang loudly in the grullo's head, and with his heart pounding, he prepared for whatever, or whoever, was to come.

It had been an agonizing, dreadfully boring task to be a guard, and he had always been surprised that hardly anyone had come to see the famed Dragonheart. While his views towards the mare had been different the first day, he had been glad to see no harm had ever come of her. The words they had shared had been rather brief, but each conversation was deep, personal. And just minutes ago, she had promised him a new start to life within her own home of the World's Edge. He could recall with clarity how many times the Aurorans spoke of the land, and a small part of the stallion wanted to laugh in their faces, to rub it in, but that was not in his nature. Besides, the Plague and the rest of the residents had a beautiful new home, and he doubted they had any interest in returning to their old home.

Xanthos stood covered in blood near the mouth of the cave, the same one he had held Mirage at for the past several weeks. The rocky ground he had grown familiar with was now sprinkled in the same blood that was drying upon his coat, staining the virgin snow that lay across it in patches. It was a grotesque scene to behold if one did not know what had truly happened, although in truth, the grullo was still terrified that someone would see through the faux attack. Despite being covered in blood, there was no open wound marring his skin, and he could only hope that the others would be too blinded by their rage to notice.

His sides heaved as if he had been running, like he had just finished a long battle. His nostrils flared as they drank in long, deep breaths, the poor stallion doing his best to make this all believable. His eyes scanned the area for any approaching bodies, waiting, just waiting to see the dark Empress slip into the moonlight and give him the smiting of a life.

BEFORE I DIE

Credits

Myrddin Posts: 115
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 :: Old
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

She's escaped!

The words work Myr from a slight slumber, in which he was dreaming. These were the best times for Myrddin, for in his dreams he had the ability to see again, even if his visions were only ghosts from his past and concoctions that his mind created. It was better than the blackness which had now fallen upon him, as he woke. Bitterly, his large moose-like ears pinned against his skull, as he drew in a large yawn. Who was making that infernal racket at this time of night?! his old mind wondered with some hostility. Raising his old bones from his resting place caused a symphony of creaks and cracks to ring out in the night; his bones protesting being woken as well.

Myr had created a fairly accurate mental-mapping of the Basin, and had little trouble following the rippling echoes of Xanthos's call. As he neared, Myr realized that this was the area where Mirage was to be kept...So it's the DragonHeart who has escaped is it? Myrddin had never seen the grulla stallion before his blinding, thus had no idea what his physical appearance was, but detected something...off. He heard the stallion panting, but the breathing simply sounded out of breath, not injured. And hadn't Mirage been here for some time now? How was it that she was only escaping now? If she was going to escape at all, it would have been done sooner. The stallion sounded as if he had, what? Run after her? How did she start doing the running, anyways?

Myrddin halted a few feet from where he assumed Xanthos to be, his blind gaze looking eerily black in the lowlight of midnight. "So youngling.." He began, his voice raspy and calculating; "She escaped, now did she?" He flicked his long white tail with minor annoyance. Was this really what had called him out of his vision-filled slumber? This impudent boy? "Sounds as though you're still quite out of breath - didn't chase her too far, then did you?" He inquired, accusation creeping into his old-man voice.

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil

You can sleep with a gun but
When you gonna wake up and fight?
She was near the pass in the early morning light, doing her thrice-daily scan for newcomers and intruders, when a shrill call split the silent air: "She's escaped!"

For a moment, nothing happened; the shadow-mare stood, stock-still amongst the dew-dotted grass, lobes pricked toward the source of the sound, cold amber orbs scanning the skies. And then she saw it: the silhouette of a large creature with bat-shaped wings slipping across the mountains and out of sight.

Fury laced through her body as she struck out into an angry canter. She did not run; there was no point now. The deed was done, whatever the deed may be. As she made her way across the Basin, several scenarios ran through her mind: had Mirage simply overpowered Xanthos, shifting into her dragon's form and forcing him to his knees, disappearing over the horizon? Or had he allowed her to leave, the weak, dim-witted fool that he was?

Myrddin had beat her there, but only just; she arrived and slowed to a halt to his left, placing herself ever-so-slightly ahead of him, as befit her position. Still, she listened to his words as she surveyed the scene. Xanthos was covered in blood, breathing hard, and seemed to be shaking (from exertion or fear of her?). She watched with hard orange orbs as Myrddin voiced his suspicion, and only when he had fallen silent did she deign to raise her own vocals.

Her voice was almost lazy, but there was a dangerous undertone nonetheless. "How did you chase her over the mountains, dear Xanthos?" she asked sweetly. "Did you sprout wings and fly? And then zoom back here at the speed of light?" It shifted as she spoke, turning hard, cold, distant. It was the precursor to a furious outburst, as she felt almost sure that he would not be able to simply explain this away.

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Psyche
[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Outcast

I WILL LIVE FOR YOU

The first figure to approach him came to a surprise to him; it was the herd's Haruspex, of which he had never gotten the chance to speak with. He knew nothing of the old, pale stallion now standing in front of him, only of his position and his lack of sight. When he spoke, Xanthos almost stopped breathing altogether. Shit. He recited in his head, but he went right along, wasting no time to speak up.

"No," he answered truthfully, pausing only when he spotted the Empress herself approaching. Despite her lazy vocals, he could tell that the dark mare was anything but happy with him. For a brief moment, he wondered what would become of her attitude when he tried to explain himself. Would she give him a verbal beating like before and then storm off in her rage? Or would she lash out this time? He wanted to know, but he couldn't worry about it right now.

"I was not expecting her to take such a form; I was not aware she could." Again, the truth; she might have been referred to as 'Dragonheart', but nobody had told him the reason, nor had he asked the mare herself in the times they had spoken. Taking in a deep breath, the grullo acted as if it were to calm his breathing, and then sucking up what little pride he had left, he spoke again. "It was terrifying, I'm not afraid to admit it. Surely you would react the same if a massive dragon came out and attacked you?" There were no formalities in his words, no my lady's, no polite words directed at the pitch mare standing before him. If a beating was to commence, then he simply wished it to be over, and then hopefully, he could begin his trek away from this hellhole.

BEFORE I DIE

Credits

Deceased
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

Hearing Psyches words, before he felt her, Myrddin stepped deftly aside to let her pass. He simply adored the way that she spoke; the subtle emphasis in her speech which indicated the anger underneath, yet was so technically polite, at the same time. Her linguistic abilities were impressive; the old stag would have to find the time to tell her so. Surely you would react the same if a massive dragon came out and attacked you? The young stallion inquired, seemingly hoping to win their sympathies. Briefly, Myrddin considered scolding the youngster for being such a poor guard in the first place; No he would not have reacted the same way, for he would have been aware of Mirage's other form. He would not have acted as a guard, if he were so stupidly naive. However, to voice such an opinion would also be to cast doubt on Psyche's abilities as a leader, and he would not give this youngster any ammunition.

With an angry toss of his head, he threateningly wove intricate circles and signs in the air using his gnarled and twisted antler of a horn as a stylus. "You would be wise to refrain from informing me how I would act, youngling" He replied, his voice edgy with anger and arrogance. If Myrddin had a pet peeve to top all others, it would be when others spoke so sloppily as to assume what others would do, in a similar situation. This youngling had no idea of Myr, or what he was capable of. However, he continued speaking like such a child, he would soon find out. Before that could happen, Myrddin was interested to see how Psyche would react to being spoken to so colloquially.

"I wonder...All this blood.." Myrddin said, his whiskery muzzle scenting the acidic and unmistakable scent of blood around at the gruesome scene, "You must have wounded Mirage quite significantly, for this blood surely did not come from you." Myrddin spoke with false moderation in his voice, as if he truly believed that Xanthos should receive recognition for his valiant act of wounding the escaped prisoner. However, he did not pretend to hold up this charade for very long: "There would be blood oozing from you, if it had been her doing. But surely that isn't the case, as i'm quite sure you would have passed out by now. Tell me youngling, how ever did you do it?" His blind gaze narrowed, piercingly at the stallion, as he chuckled heartily, as if preparing to hear some great tale of dragon-slaying.

Solstice Posts: 93
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15 hh :: 8 (at time of death)
Emily
"What he says is true. I saw it with my own eyes." From behind Myrddin and Psyche came the painted equine. Sure she was a prisoner, but what did she have to lose by telling the 'truth'? Sure, Solstice was lying but no on e but Xanthos needed to know that. Slowly she moved to stand to the side before speaking again. "Did you all really think you could leave one guard on the DragonHeart? We call her that for a reason, or did you not learn this on the battlefield?" She wore a smile on her muzzle, almost a smirk. She had heard the call of her son, and knew he was off somewhere fighting for her freedom. So what if these two tried to hurt her? She could protect herself.

Hazel eyes looked to the one who called herself an Empress. "You leave inexperienced guards to keep the leader of the Qian? Sure I could understand for little ol' me..." Here she smiled sweetly before continuing. Oh how she hoped the one who had been guarding Mirage would play along. "The DragonHeart took her other form, and attacked along with her bonded dragon. Your guard fought hard, but they over powered him and took to the skies. She was not even out of sight when he yelled." Now the fem waited to see what the others had to say now. Would they believe her lie? Or would they attempt to kill her?

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

Perhaps she would have had a more active role in the interrogation, had Myrddin not been so quick to react. He was intelligent, and more than capable of holding his own against the younger fool. She reflected briefly that she had made an excellent decision when she had named him Haruspex, and wondered if the Time God would agree with her. He was an oddity, that one, wanting to stir up trouble nearly as much as, well, she did. Nevertheless, Myrddin caught the subtleties of the situation remarkably well for one who could not see. Of course, had she expected any less, he would not have found himself in the position that he was in.

She blinked when Xanthos had the gall to assume that she would react in a similar fashion. "Darling," she said in a tone dripping with sarcastic amusement. "I took you for a coward, but not yet for a fool. It would seem I was mistaken." Her orbs darkened as she spoke; her anger was very close to the surface now. "Were I you, I would remember my place. I would not presume to know the inner workings of my superiors."

Myrddin spoke up again, and again she found herself wondering how one such as him could have such an advanced understanding of the situation. At his analysis, her own eyes roved over Xanthos' body, searching for an not finding a wound from which the blood might have come. "Tell me," she added to Myrddin's questions. "Wherever did you wound her that she was still able to fly away? That is quite a bit of blood loss." It was all a lie, she was almost sure of it; the only thing refraining her from attacking the liar was the thing hope that perhaps he was telling the truth.

And then the hornless appeared, coming to a halt to the side of the group. She called his words truth. The Empress' orbs narrowed, her auds flattening against her skull. Why would the equine have an interest in Xanthos' fate? "And why would you care, darling?" she asked the fae sweetly, tones dripping like honey from her maw. "You speak boldly for a captor, and you but a prisoner. Surely you must think you have something to gain?"

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Psyche

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Outcast

I WILL LIVE FOR YOU

Ever so slowly the insults and disbelief came spilling out from the two superiors' mouths, and it took everything Xanthos had not to pin his ears back in annoyance. Oh, how he couldn't wait to put this place behind him and never come back.

Myrddin was the first to speak, almost earning a snap from the grullo, yet he refrained for now. His emotions were a swirl, each fighting to overpower another, but he wanted to put the act on for as long as he could, even if it seemed they saw through it already. Even at the pale, old stallion's question, he did not answer, for an unsuspecting third party came to join them. It was the World's Edge prisoner, whom by this time, was sure to be sorely missed. He listened intently to what she had to say, and although a little discouraging, it was true. He'd done well capturing Mirage in the first place, somehow, and held her for a remarkable period of time. But still... He was still new to the ranks, and one that hardly anyone trusted.

The painted mare was surely going along with him, and so he would do so in return, and he deeply appreciated it, but decided it best not to agree on her words. It would only worsen this whole thing. He and Solstice seemed to be in similar positions, both prisoners in their own way to the Basin. Now his golden eyes turned to Psyche when she spoke, and wasn't surprised in the least to see her rage bursting at the seams, ready to explode.

His mind had gone blank. There was nothing he could say to make the pair standing before him believe him, he knew, and so he did not speak, his mind working quickly on a different plan. If he simply stood in silence, what would happen to him? He had let the great Weyrleader escape; would he be beaten, demoted in a sense and forced to live under the Auroran's scrutinty until the day he died? Or worse, they would send a small army after Romani, if they could even find her. A bit extreme, perhaps, but then again, maybe not. What was forming in his head, however, he could hardly believe himself for even considering it. He was a swift runner, but simply taking off would be too simple a move, and he wasn't sure who would win in a foot race. Would the Empress even give chase?

He had made up his mind. What he did next would surely set him at the top of the Plague's hitlist, or at least, somewhere close.

Suddenly, the grullo lunged forward and into a gallop, heading for Myrddin's right, opposite of where Psyche stood. As he passed the pale unicorn, he made sure that their shoulders collided in a forceful bump, surely sending the elder topling over to his side. Xanthos felt immediately horrible of the action, but it wasn't like he had killed the Seer. He could seek solace for his actions later, when he wasn't in the Basin.

After the shoulder check, the grullo's only focus was on the path leading out of the Basin, his only route of escape. He could only hope that Psyche would be distracted by Myrddin's collapse, or simply wouldn't care enough to give chase. Then, there was Solstice, whom he truly wished would follow after him for the sake of her own freedom. He cared not what kind of thoughts were forming in the others' minds, surely calling him a coward, a fool, an idiot to be running away. But that's exactly what he did, for it was a mistake to have come here in the first place.

ooc - Permission given by Aud to knock Myrddin over.

BEFORE I DIE

Credits

Deceased
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

[OOC: Apologies for having Myr 'see' in his previous post. :| My bizzle.]

Myrddin, was nearly about to leave the scene. This was not in his jurisdiction, and he found the stallion's commentary to be tiresome. He would certainly have to speak with Psyche one day about a more stringent recruiting process. He had already met both a mare and a stallion who were simply drenched in their own self pity; now this buffoon was simply refusing to answer the questions which surely would reveal his treason. Why did you bother staying...? Myrddin wondered absently. If this was treason, why did this youngling not run off with the DragonHeart? His charade was becoming less and less believable each moment he failed to answer his, and Psyche's questions.

Myrddin dismissed these thoughts with a weary shake of his ancient head - Psyche was in control of the situation; there was nothing for the sightless stag to contribute. Just as Myr was about to turn away, his senses fumbled together: he heard the sound of hooves on the hard Basin terrain, and a sudden intake of breath. Was that his? No - it couldn't be - for in that moment, all of the air in Myrddin's lungs was sharply exhaled as Xanthos's shoulder knocked into his with incredible precision and force. Had Myrddin had his sight, been younger, standing differently, or a number of other variables, he might not have fallen. However, given his age, posture, and sleepy-state, he did. His long legs crossed over one another in an effort to correct for the sudden shift in his center of gravity, but were not limber enough to sustain his weight. The arthritic serpent which lived in his old bones, hissed at the insistence of his mind demanding that his joints hold him up, and simply let go. His knees buckled under his own weight, as he crashed without grace into the ground. His eyes widened with fury, sightless gaze appearing strangely too wide with no pupil to focus on.

Myrddin grunted as he rolled back to his side, mentally checking himself to ensure that no bones were broken. There is a healer here, d'Art who heals all and only those stallions who do not heal themselves.. His mind echoed, replaying the riddle he had earlier given to Chernobyl to work through. Well, Myrddin certainly did not heal himself, and by rights, d'Art would heal him. At least, in the universe of the riddle - still he would need to seek out the Basin's doctor, and quickly. At his age, internal tears can have a devastatingly quick fatality rate.

Deceased
Emily
It all seemed to happen so fast. One minute the painted dove was lying for the once captor of Mirage, the next she was left standing as he shoved over the elder unicorn and ran for safety leaving her to clean up the mess. Oh what a mess it would surely be, as since she was a prisoner surely the lie was now found out and they would want her dead. But her first worry was not for herself, but the pale stag that had hit the hard rock. It was his coat color that made her heart hurt the most, as her youngest was of the same color other than the markings that ran along her wings and legs. The Empress's words were heard but not immediately answered. Instead the gold and ivory maiden moved to the side of the stag before speaking "We need to get you to the herd healer..." She lowered her frame down next to his to try and allow him to lean on her should he want to.

It was only them she looked to the Basin leader and spoke "Why would I care? Because some actually care for more than just their own race. As for something to gain, no. Why would I expect anything out of a herd who has done nothing but tear my family apart? Now would you kindly help me find your herd healer... I believe he would be my guard. Your herd mate looks like he could use some help." Gently she pressed her side against Myrddin to attempt to help him up. She knew surely she would receive a beating for such words and lies, but what mattered now was helping the one who had just become seriously injured.

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

Xanthos was gone, and she could not bring herself to care.

She was angry, of course, angry that Mirage had escaped. But somehow, she was not surprised. She had almost expected it, really. After all, Xanthos had been their weakest link, not fit for guarding a prisoner of any kind, much less the DragonHeart. And yet she had allowed him to do it - why? Well, they had proven their point, you see. The Plague - well, the inferiors didn't know of it as such, of course, but she did - had proven that they could infiltrate the ranks of the other herds, that they could render even the most powerful of leaders incompetent. Let them think that it was the Basin, exacting revenge on those who had outcasted them. She and hers knew the truth.

Perhaps she would have guarded Mirage more heavily if there had been more at stake. But she hadn't, and this was what she had to show for it. An injured Haruspex, a hornless nobody, and one less unicorn. Well, good riddance. She might as well just get rid of them all - after all, why bother to keep the idiot painted fae? She was useless, just as Xanthos had been. Why, they would make a lovely little couple, off in the Edge lands that had once been hers. Let Xanthos betray his race; he would answer for it, just as Mirage would answer for her treachery, just as Solstice would answer for her stupidity. When she ruled, they would suffer, and she would laugh.

As she did now. The bells dripping from her lips were false, and perhaps slightly wild, but it could just be that she was slightly wild. "Darling, I assure you that I can help him in many ways that you will not. In fact, why don't you just help yourself? You are free, my dear, on this condition: follow your dear leader. You will be the last prisoner to be released from the Basin; I would have Deimos back. Tell Mirage that she may keep her newest pet," she added with a sneer, referring to Xanthos. "And I will take care of my own. Now, shoo, before I change my mind." Her words turned into a growl. She walked forward, roughly shoving her way to Myrddin's side (though if it was necessary to do so has yet to be determined) and tried to prop him up. She would get him to d'Artagnan; he was no use to her dead.

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Psyche

Deceased
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

Myrddin felt a presence nearby, and suddenly felt the physicality of it as warm pelt touched his own. Assuming Psyche hadn't lowered herself to his level, physically or metaphorically, he concluded that it must be the mare who had come from behind. The prisoner Psyche had called her, though Myr was unaware of anyone but the DragonHeart. Had he been spending too much time with his disciples? How was it that he hadn't come to know that the Basin had two prisoners? He felt her press herself against him, supporting his old and battered body. Did he dare accept her comfort? He knew that the Basin accepted only unicorns, and would hazard a guess at why that could be, but was sure that there were unicorns in other herds as well. Was this mare who had placed herself so gently as his side, a unicorn? He couldn't tell if Psyche's disdain for her derived from her lack of membership in the Basin, or her race. Recalling the herd rules that set had Psyche, regarding any unicorn entering the basin, he decided that Solstice must indeed be an equine, for he did not feel the bulk of feathered appendages around him.

Grumbling, Myr tried to heave himself up. He leaned his aged head back, and then thrust it out forward hoping to gain momentum. Fumbling awkwardly, he forced his legs out of their collapsed position. ...And I will take care of my own. Now, shoo, before I change my mind. In his effort to stand Myr only comprehended the end of what Psyche had to say to the Edge mare, and suddenly she was at his side, rather than Solstice. Sighing gratefully, he leaned into Psyche as much as he dared, without being too cumbersome. Nothing appeared to be broken, though his entire side felt battered and bruised. He doubted that any of his ribs were cracked, which was a minor miracle given the state of decay he assumed his boy was in, internally. "Coward." He spat, referring to Xanthos. Why the show? He wondered, not for the first time. If their guard was dirty, why had the three of them not left immediately? Why this whole facade? To make Pysche look stupid? To anger her? Likely.

Myrddin waited patiently , and dumbly to receive instruction from his Lady. Sightless, and hearing nothing at the time, he was unable to tell if Solstice had headed Psyche's recommendation to leave, or if more words would be exchange. Gods! How he wished he had completed his quest so that he could see again! How much more useful he would be to Psyche, then! Now, he simply felt old and in the way. It was a feeling that Myr often did not feel, but how else should a blind old man feel, after he's just been pushed in the mud? The Goddess of the Moon had said he needed to find one full of revenge. Well, perhaps Myr would be able to fulfill that part of the prophecy, himself.

Deceased
Emily
The Dark Empress's words were taken to heart. As the pale stag stood she merely whispered "Take care of yourself elder, may the racism that holds the heart of most in the Basin never take your heart as well." Hazel eyes looked at the pair, almost making sure that the Lady of the Basin was truly going to help the pale male before making a quick retreat. She spoke no words to the leader of the Basin, for fear of the dark mare taking her offer of her freedom back. This was her chance at freedom, and she was damn well going to take it while she could. Should any stand in her way now she would use her magic on them and keep on running.

Her hooves dug into the frost covered ground, legs stretching out in front of her as she tapped into the speed her arabian blood line gave her. It was time to go home.. Home to her herd that had been trying so hard to set her free... But most importantly home to her beloved babies, both blood and adopted. They needed her, and she had been gone far to long. Would Azale and Kamien be alright? Would Kamien think she had abandoned them all? Had Aaron been looking after them both in her absence? So many questions burned in the mother's head. So many that would soon have answers. Plus now she had a message to deliver... Hazel eyes took one last look at the place she had been bound to since FrostFall, before galloping on to World's Edge without even once glance back.