the Rift

THE ACADEMY [Visionary Ranks]

Myrddin Posts: 115
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 :: Old
Aud

the haruspex

Welcome to the Academy! The Academy is where your character can be tested by Myrddin, the current Aurora Basin Haruspex, if you would like to increase your rank in the Visionary-specialization stream.

» Haruspex « Myrddin
» Disciples « Zikar-Sin
» Scholars « Chernobyl [Certainty Challenge]

Rules of this board

» You must still respect the minimum post requirement, of 250 words.
» Posting may occur out of order when each Scholar or Disciple is given a different challenge. When a challenge is given to more than one participant at the same time, that thread will contain information on whether or not the post-order needs to be respected.
» All rank decisions can be overruled by Psyche.

This is what I would have you see, for the Unicorn you are able to encounter has lost the ability to do so. Do not fret for him, for he has been sent on a quest by the Goddess of the Moon to regain his sight - for now, however, he has taken refuge from that goal, and waits for you.

Myrddin stood with the sort of patience that only comes from the longevity of life; his skin itched in places, his bones growing more and more uncomfortable, and the arthritic snake which lived deep in his joints, had slithered out to play. Still, Myrddin ignored these bodily tremors, allowing his mind to roam free. In is tantric state, Myrddin considered the mare Chernobyl, and her desire to one day become a Haruspex. A chuckle braced his aged features, as his amusement forced itself into a physical manifestation. What a silly thing. he thought. How the youth of this day, lacked tact. Did she not know, that she was effectively asking for him to teach her his ways, so that she could usurp him? Well, he would teach her nonetheless. One could teach things, but acquiring wisdom was something else entirely. He was not concerned of being overthrown, not by a mare who dappled in her pain as often as she did. Still, he would not turn away those who hungered for knowledge.

"Chernobyl, here is your riddle. You have 3 days to answer me. There is a doctor here, D'art, who heals those and only those stallions who do not heal themselves. My question for you, is who heals D'art?" Myrddin smiled at the conclusion of the riddle, for this was one he particularly adored.

[OOC: For this riddle, consider only the Aurora Basin.]

To go on is to go through.
At last, even the seer is cremated.
Each seed loves the dark for the light it promises.

Chernobyl Posts: 134
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: Nine | Tallsun HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Psilo
ooc| This is so probably NOT what you were looking for, but go easy on me LOL.

[Image: 50c3cfe45dfd7]

Chernobyl

Looking upon him now, her dark eyes seem to fade, turning and folding into thought as she considered his question. She wasn’t sure who D’art was, but something about the riddle seemed to suggest it wasn’t entirely about the Doctor himself, but more in the play of words in the question. If D’art healed only those who could not heal themselves, then he could “heal himself”, so to speak. The answer seemed to surface clearly, though she wondered if she had thought too hard on the question, turned it upside down and transformed it into something entirely opposite of what Myrddin was trying to ask. Though, it seemed that no matter how much she trudged about in her mind, turning over fragments of words, thoughts, and memories to understand where she was going- it all came back to the same conclusion. It was a a massive obstruction in her mind that she couldn’t avoid. She supposed that if she got the answer wrong, she would simply have to accept failure. After all, is it not part of life, part of the process that Myrddin was trying to teach her?

D’art… would be the only one capable of healing himself. After all, he only heals those who cannot heal themselves. Which in retrospect would mean that while he heals others who cannot heal themselves, he too cannot heal himself, therefore he would be entirely capable of healing or really not healing himself.

But oh, I'm staring at the mess I made
As you turn, you take your heart and walk away

crushed and filled with all I found
underneath and inside, just to come around
more, give me more, give me more

pixel is by RELI<3

• Feel free to magic on her, but no murder.

Zikar-Sin Posts: 78
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 8
M.E.

....Did that hurt you...?

Things just happened, and sometimes they happened for a reason.

Shhhhh. Sin cocked his ear forward. Clank-clang! Frostfall was long over, and yet in this frigid place, his breath fogged around the dappled-one's muzzle as he exhaled. Vvvvrrrrrr! There was snow and grass, hand in hand and over their little feud, a paradox placed upon the ground. Ksh-ksh. There were birds here, in the sky, the trees, everyplace. They never left. Chirp-chrrrr. Hearts and bodies are born and raised, and they grew into life, and they decayed unto death-- icy, gripping death. Tick-tick-tock. Time marched on, forever.

What is time? What is life? Why is life? Was that even a question? Blue eyes, hard, icy, and inquisitive, often asked these questions; the mind was not clouded by the heart that many so often possessed, and the deep void left behind left the unanswered Question. Sure, it was in many forms and many contexts, in different shapes and bearings, with different faces and moods. It mattered not to the dappled-one's heart. There was always a Question.

What is a Haruspex; the keeper of knowledge? The answer to the Question? Or did he ask the Question himself? Zikar-Sin didn't know. He didn't know the stallion's name, much less his role in the service of the Dark Emperess. As a Visionary, Sin was in his service. He was his humble student and servant, and perhaps if the dappled-boy only but paid head to the word of the Haruspex, an Answer might present himself. Always, always was that boy looking for a way to silence the mighty hunger of the void that was his Question. Always was he looking for a way to satisfy it.

And so Sin presented himself to the Haruspex on that day, seeing that he was an old, linen creature with blank eyes. He dipped his head, his tendency for polite reverence coming to the fore. "Sire," he said, his voice warm with the gentlemanly air he had practiced for so long, "I am Zikar-Sin, my Haruspex. What would you have of me?"

For things just happened, and sometimes they happened for a reason.

(OOC: I hope I'm doing this right, lol )
...Forgive Me...

Deceased
Aud

the haruspex

D’art… would be the only one capable of healing himself.

"So this is your answer? That D'art heals himself? While this is a correct statement, it is not the answer to the riddle. Let me rephrase the riddle in a way which might clarify things to your mind, youngling:

There is a healer on an island, who heals those and only those stallions who do not heal themselves. Who heals the healer?"

Psilo
[Image: 50c3cfe45dfd7]

Chernobyl

It was all symbols and letters from here, taking her from one point to the next before leaving her completely fumbling for some kind of support. Perhaps the drive for knowledge would not be as easy as she had though… but of course not. All was never easy in this game of life, not even this silly riddle that was supposed to inspire her way of thinking. She turned to him, black eyes growing wide in frustration as she gazed into those of milky white. She stared into them as if they would reveal her answer, but nothing came and no revelations were made. “If he is the only healer on the island, then who would be expected to heal HIM? I‘ve heard of a nurse that follows him around, is she his supposed healer?” This question posed, she felt slightly more at ease as if perhaps he would give up and let her win. But in all truth, she wanted to know… who would heal the doctor that healed all those who couldn’t heal themselves? She shook her head, this was just growing more mind-boggling by the minute.

But oh, I'm staring at the mess I made
As you turn, you take your heart and walk away

pixel is by RELI<3

Deceased
Aud

the haruspex

Myrddin flicked his tail as he looked on, as it were, knowingly. He knew that life would eventually bring Zikar-Sin to him, for it was put in motion at the dawn of the beginning; each and every action from then until now, spoke of this moment. For had the FrostKing never encountered Myrddin that day in the Threshold, had his herd never been lost to the terror, had he gone left, rather than right when he was but a youngling himself, this day would have never come to pass. But of course, everything was already fixed; they were merely seeing how it played out. What would you have of me the youngling inquired.

"You too shall have to answer a series of riddles, young Zikar-Sin. Here is your first, you have three days to find an answer.

Imagine that each member of the Edge has been captured (all 20), and is being held in various locations throughout the Basin. They are unable to communicate with each other in any way, and are kept out of each's line of sight. Every day, Psyche comes and chooses one of them randomly, and brings them to a clearing. In this clearing, there is a stone, which is black on one side, and white on the other. Each Edge member that Psyche brings, has the option of either turning the stone over, or leaving it as they found it, or they can claim that all 20 members of the herd have been to the stone. If a member makes this assertion and it is true, they are all freed. If they make this statement and it is false, they will all die.

Before they are separated, they are given a moment to make a plan. What plan could the Edger's implement, to ensure that someone can truly make the statement?"

[OOC: For this riddle, please note the answer is not specific to Helovia.]

Deceased
Aud

the haruspex

Myrddin shook his aging head with amusement. He remembered his fumbling attempts when he was but a whelp, considering this very riddle.

No Chernobyl, Kou, nor any other nurse is the answer. You were closer with your inclination.

[OOC: Hint. It has nothing to do with Helovia, I only made it Helovia-specific so you couldn't google the answer :O ]

Hidden Account
M.E.

*"What plan could the Edger's implement, to ensure that someone can truly make the statement?*

For a span of moments, Sin closed his eyes and felt a smile lift his maw. It was a worthy riddle, surely. Though is mind was already whirling with sparks and pistons in thought, he knew right from the start he was destined to overthink the riddle. The Answer was right in front of him; it was ALWAYS right in front of him, he just had to know what to look for. And that was where is amusement lie.

More than anything, several questions started to buzz in his mind; what time of day did Psyche bring the wretched from their hovels? Was it the same time every day, or did it vary along with her choices? What kind of rock and mineral was the stone made out of? Were the prisoners allowed food? With every question, his sense of amusement and humility grew, for he knew all of these inquiries were indications of his inferior mind. Respect for the Haruspex grew in his breast-- but Sin had to hazard at least one question.

"Forgive me, sir, but I must ask," he started, snapping his eyes wide and open in their characteristic sign of interest, "but would the Dark Empress take the same damned soul twice in a row, or does she only take the same soul once in a sequence?" He felt foolish for the question, but he supposed it wouldn't ruin his life.

Would it?

...Forgive Me...

Deceased
Aud

the haruspex

Myrddin watched patiently as his young student immediately began to ponder the riddle. What he found to be especially curious was that they almost seemed reluctant to ask him questions, as if he would think less of them each time they clarified his challenge. Did they think he expected them to simply know the answer? While surely his riddles were prima facia answerable without extra aid, they were his students for a reason.

"The Lady Psyche may choose any prisoner she likes. So yes, she could take the same Edge Member twice in a row."

[OOC: Hint, all the other things Sin considered are irrelevant; the time of day, that they have food, the type of stone, etc.]

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
She looked at him now, growing weary from her thought process. Everything was spinning around in her head, turning, and then finally resting in place. "If D'art hels those who cannot heal themselves then those he heals, heal him. Is that any closer?" She looked upon him now, hope building in her stare- maybe this was it?

Deceased
Aud

the haruspex

"Do not mistake the wording, young one. D'art heals those and only those stallions who do not heal themselves. I can say no more without giving away the answer. But do not over think your intuitions."

[OOC: Hint: Only D'art is capable of healing anyone...Honestly, I guarantee you're over thinking the answer, because you think it can't be what you're thinking.]

Hidden Account
M.E.

*"The Lady Psyche may choose any prisoner she likes. So yes, she could take the same Edge Member twice in a row."*

The dappled-one dipped his head in acknowledgment. Of course. The Dark Empress should be able to make these kinds of random, whimsical choices whenever she pleases. How foolhardy to suggest otherwise.

With a genteel chuckle, Sin closed his eyes once again, the gears in his mind grinding harder than ever. A soft hum emanated from his chest as he considered this riddle as hard as he could. Though he felt he was missing something once again, the young Scholar decided to place his attention to the focal point of the riddle: the stone. Though he had so many questions about the various qualities of it (was it a hybrid of quartz and onyx? Did rocks breed at all?) he instead focused on the most important aspects of the stone--that is, it's trait of two colors. He snorted intensely; only two colors were insignificant unless you gave them meaning. How could one apply meaning to white and black, light and dark?

Simple: Only ONE color had to be significant.

"Here is my answer, Wise One," Sin spoke up, his eyes popping open into great orbs of ice, "Before the unfortunate souls are separated from each other, they must choose one poor wretch as the color White. Whenever they see the stone, only that wretch can move the stone into the White position."

Sin paused, the answer falling into place as he spoke, and he strove on confidently, "As for all the others, the first time they see the stone, they will turn it to the Black position-- but they will do this only the first time they see it. If they were to see the stone again, they would not touch it. As such, the White wretch should only have to turn the stone over 19 times-- and it is the 19th turn that will tell the White wretch that yes, indeed, every unfortunate soul has been met by the Dark Empress."

(OOC: I love riddles, but I fried my brain trying to figure this one out x.x If this isn't the answer I just might make the plunge.)

...Forgive Me...

Deceased
Aud

the haruspex

In moments such as this, Myrddin missed his sight the most. In the stillness that followed Sin's answer, Myr wished he could look upon his face. He reminded himself that in order to see again, he needed to get out more, to fulfill the quest of the Goddess. But even with the new eyes he was promised, would he be able to see emotion? Would it appear to him as an ebb or flow in ones life-force? That was a riddle he was very much looking forward to puzzling through.

Nevertheless, his great head nodded with approval. "Well done m'boy." He said, his voice bright with amusement. "Of course, one shouldn't be too certain; what if one of the prisoner's was a spy?" He shook his head to indicate that this was not a follow up to the riddle, merely something to be pondered, should he wish to. "You have 2 more riddles to answer before you shall be considered a Scholar of the Basin. Do you wish to continue?"

Hidden Account
M.E.

*"Well done m'boy...Of course, one shouldn't be too certain; what if one of the prisoner's was a spy?"*

Cracking a genuine smile of satisfaction, Sin chuckled off the Haruspex's insinuation. "Yes, sir," he replied, absolutely giddy with relief that he had successfully answered the riddle. Not that he had particularly doubted his ability in the first place, but there was always that surge of pride that came with doing something correctly. Allowing himself to soak in the warm feeling for a moment more, Sin gradually erased that self-satisfaction from his psyche and returned himself to a state of humility. He didn't come see Myrddin to gloat. He came to learn.

* "You have 2 more riddles to answer before you shall be considered a Scholar of the Basin. Do you wish to continue?"*

Sin's eyes brightened once more. "Yes sir, I wish to continue," he said with spirited vibrato. Masochist he may be, but Sin thoroughly enjoyed forcing his brain into overdrive. The fact that he was striving to improve his ranking and his favor with the Empress only made this exercise an indulgence.

...Forgive Me...

Psilo
It seemed as if being a Scholar was certainly not her forte, but then again could anyone say otherwise? Did it not take learning and trying and time to identify with those in possession of all-knowing wisdom? She looked down at her toes, long and scarred from years of travel and weathering the seasons. Her mind churned, ideas brimming from the corners of her consciousness before she settled on yet another answer- another chance to get it right. Was she even allowed so many? “Would it be true then, that D’art does not need a healer?

ooc| eh, I'm horrible at riddles. I might have an OOC talk with you if I can't figure it out, heh. I suck.

pixel is by RELI<3

Deceased
Aud

the haruspex

The aged stag listened with patience as Chernobyl sought to uncover his riddle. Perhaps this was too cruel, for her first test. After all, she was only a scholar, and any member of the basin could attain that rank. Perhaps he had been too presumptuous in assuming that simply because she had joined the visionary stream, that she already had the necessary foundations. Wearily, he shook his head, annoyed that he had already set up one of his students to fail. Teach her. he reminded himself, affording himself the same patience that he did with his students. Sighing, he placed his blind gaze onto her.

"You have thought yourself into a corner, Chernobyl, and I would be doing you no service if I let you stay there. You have had the answer all along, but could not see it. Let me explain:

Riddle: There is a doctor who heals all and only those stallions who do not heal themselves.
Premise one: d'Art is a doctor.
Premise two: If d'Art does not heal himself, then by the confines of the riddle, the doctor must heal him. However, d'Art is the doctor. Thus, as you said Chernobyl, d'Art would heal himself. So...
Premise three: If d'Art does heal himself, then by the confines of the riddle, the doctor must not. However, d'Art is the doctor, so he could not.

Thus the answer, my child, is that there is no answer. The riddle is a paradox. I meant this only to illuminate the need that we have to force a solution from mutually exclusive options. If you are to be a true visionary and philosopher, you must learn to follow the logic to where it leads, and not create an answer where there isn't one."

He chuckled slightly. He did enjoy this riddle, though perhaps it was too early, too tricky. Still, she would either learn something from it, or she would not. Time would tell.

"Are you ready to proceed, Chernobyl?"

[OOC: This paradox is called the "Barber Paradox"; feel free to google it if you aren't completely annoyed with it by now. :3 ]

Psilo
I would like nothing more than to continue, my sweet professor.

Ooc| I didn’t think I could come up with the muse to post much else, I’m sorry Aud. I promise the next ones will be better.

pixel is by RELI<3

Deceased
Aud

the haruspex

Myrddin thoughtfully pondered his two scholars. In which direction should his teachings go? A crafty smile appeared on his whiskery muzzle, as he recalled one of his first philosophy lessons, when he was but a youngling himself. He recalled feeling so confident in his answers, that he fancied showing off a bit in front of the others, only to realize with growing dismay, how badly off track he was. It was memories such as those that kept him patient with his students. It was all too easy to chastise and become frustrated with answers that to his mind now, were short-sighted and argumentative. However, there was a time that even he had given such answers, as much as he liked to believe he hadn't. For some, the love of knowledge came easily and quickly, for others, it was an enchantment that they had to work to understand; but for all, there was something to learn.

Flicking his tail, he nodded his head slowly as his mind pieced together their next lesson plan. "Your next lesson shall be no riddle, and shall have three parts. For your first task, I would like each of you to name three things of which you are absolutely certain." He paused, waiting for their answers. In his youth, he had named 3 quite quickly, so he didn't expect Chernobyl or Sin to take very long. Although after his last riddle with Chernobyl, he feared that she would constantly believe he was tricking her. He wasn't so concerned though, as regardless of the answers they provided at the beginning of this lesson, it was how they answered later, that truly mattered.

[OOC: No worries, Linds! I'm not sure if the 250 word count minimum applies in this thread...I'll find out.]

Hidden Account
M.E.

*"For your first task, I would like each of you to name three things of which you are absolutely certain."*

Sin's ears perked up as he listened to the Wise One speak. The things he asked of the young dappled stallion were trivial things; this was a Question that consumed the greater void in Sin's soul, and he had spent many long hours and days in his life pondering that same Question. It was probably one of the few things in his life that was keeping him from complete insanity-- although, to be fair, the stallion was probably clinically insane already. He reigned in his excitement, though; once again, Sin refrained from giving in to his inner arrogance. He must remain humble.

"If I may, sir," he offered the old, white soothsayer, "but my own ponderings have brought me to this conclusion: if one were to list off the most certain things in the universe, you must start with death, or the End of things-- for there is always an End to everything and anything. Therefore, if there is an End, then there must have been a Beginning. And in order to travel from the Beginning to the End, there must also be Change in between. And so, my answer is: The Beginning, the End, and Change."

(OOC: Sorry, didn't realize it was my turn! Also, excuse any typos and whatnot, I'm writing this in a hurry ^^; )

...Forgive Me...

Deceased
Aud
[OOC: Let me clarify, for riddles, you both may answer whenever...you don't have to go in posting order, or even acknowledge one another.]