the Rift

Nothing Gold Can Stay(open)

Keelin Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Keelin
Is my heart of gold?

It was a gorgeous day.
The sun hung high and bright overhead, warming the air that danced beneath it, and the grass, green and thickly growing despite the overly-moist soil, beckoned to the light and bowed to the winds.
A stallion that shone like gold waded through the purr of the breeze and the caress of the grass against his hooves.

His coat was dirty and his head hung low and beaten, but his jade eyes glinted with dormant fire. His hoofbeats were heavy and clumsy, and although his body showed signs of heavy muscling, his ribs were etched upon his skin.

As a fresh burst of wind enveloped him, he stopped dead. He lifted his head experimentally with a sharp inhale. His eyes ignited.
Horses!
He picked up a lively trot, desperate for the sight of another horse. AS he rounded an peak of earth, he saw a large, spread herd of mares and stallions below him.
Careful not to look too eager to join them, he sauntered down into their midst. After a moment of waiting to be challenged, he realized that these horses didn't seem to be an actual herd of familiar horses. While a couple were grazing together, most were spread far apart and sleeping under the dense trees or otherwise alone, and there were many stallions as well as mares.
He was curious, but his fatigue had gotten the better of him and he settled down under a particularly comfortable-looking set of trees, lay down, and fell asleep.

"blah blah blah."

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

The wonderful weather is what had brought Romani to the woods of Helovia’s Threshold, her steps light and head held high as she ventured onwards. Her thick, ivory mane bounced as she moved, forelock swaying in front of piercing, azure eyes, and the mare’s red palomino body stopped abruptly. Turning her head around to face where she had just come from, a soft, affectionate smile crossed the mare’s darker lips.

“Kasai,” she called, gaze lingering on the small, white tiger cub that trotted playfully a ways behind her, “Come along, sweet, or you’ll fall behind.” Regardless of her words, the Haflinger mare waited for her companion to catch up. The cub’s tail was up, ears perked and still-blue eyes full of wonder as she took in the surroundings of the Threshold. It was Kasai’s first time in the Threshold, and while it held new sights and smells for the tiger, Romani knew better than to allow her to wander off. It had been hard enough finding the black and white bundle of fur when they had been home, in the Foothills, and Kasai had figured that a game of hide-and-seek was terribly overdue. Lifting her muzzle down, Romani pressed her nose into the soft fur adorning the tiger’s hide and chuckled. While they couldn’t communicate like a true companion and bonded should due to the strange Eclipse of Birdsong, they had already grown close…

“Let’s go, Kasai. Come on.” Obediently the tiger followed when the palomino mare turned to continue on their way, her small, spindly legs trotting quickly to try and keep up with Romani’s own thick, larger ones. It was shortly after they continued their exploration of the Threshold when she spotted a creature much like herself; a stallion lay beneath the warm embrace of a few trees, and head tilting, the mare stepped closer, but not too close.

At her side, Kasai bounded forwards the resting stallion, a little chirping cry leaving her throat. In her mind, this new equine could be a new friend to play with. Knowing better, Romani immediately called her companion back to her, then directed her attention back on the tobiano once Kasai returned. Despite his dirty hide, he was a handsome creature, obviously palomino with a tobiano coat and blessed with a thick white mane and tail. Inhaling, she spoke, a pretty smile on her lips to show that she wasn’t a threat. While muscled, the stallion looked like he need to gain some weight, and the last thing that the Foothills warrior wished to do was strain or upset the stag.

“Greetings, good sir,” she called out, hoping that she wasn’t interrupting his slumber, “Welcome to Helovia. Is there something I can do for you?”

The true Soldier fights not because
He hates what is in front of him,
But because he loves what is behind him.

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds

THOR

Don't want to let you down, But I am hell bound..

My heart beat with the slow throb of loss, a loss for what, I wasn’t sure, but it was loss all the same. Each stride brought an empty reminder of where I was going but had not yet been and I was helpless to the carnage of such an emotion and yet, I was once again wholly entranced by the serenity of the Threshold. It seemed that here, new beginnings were made and while I had already been gifted with such a blessing, I found that comfort was inevitable here. Every creature in Helovia found purpose within these lands and I thought that if such revolutions existed from such a place, perhaps I would be able to find refuge here as well, even though I had already been given a name for myself. However, names were never enough. I had been so focused on what I had wanted to become that I had gotten lost in the process of actually working to achieve my entitlements. At one time, I had wanted to throw myself into the throngs of warriors that stripped the lands of vulnerability and yet, I had no real desire for the taste of iron blood upon my tongue.

Healing was my forte, even if I had yet to pursue the thought. At times I felt weak because I had chosen not to offer my body and soul to The World’s Edge in the event of siege, but I knew that I would bear my heart and soul for those wounded and in need of my remedies. As I entered the Threshold once more, I couldn’t help but think of Adura, the fragile mare who had been so intent on death when I had come upon her in these very grounds. She was like a fallen angel, precious and yet so damaged that Hell would have given anything to rip the wings from her very back. The image brought a small shiver to my skin that had radiated from within and not so much from the cold. It had been such a rough winter that I dreaded the heat of the approaching summer, so fierce upon my back. I shuffled the scant appendages upon my spine, only nearly aware of their lack of stability in the aiding of my warmth. How I longed for the fullest of feathers to sprawl heftily along my back and flanks. They would forever mark my deficiencies, despite my constant attempts to ignore them.

The cool air borne fiery crystals from the misted veil of my breath and it was almost magical to watch them float and swirl once more to the ground where all things died. Such beauty would always be lost to the hardened seat of the devil’s roof and with this, I moved above him, cursing him in vain for all things that I did not know. However, my raving was soon ceased in favor for the delights of company that was not entirely unwanted. He appeared to be a delicate thing, finely painted in glittering shades of gold that met pearly wastelands throughout his coat. It was apparent that he had seen better days, but that did not define his worth. For everyone was meant for something, desired something… What was it that this stallion desired? However, I was not the first to stumble upon the sleeping giant- a young red palomino mare had come near, eager to rouse the creature from his sleep. At her hind quarters, a small tiger cub danced about playfully, clearly oblivious to it’s bonded’s attempt to awake the sleeping stallion. I could only stand back and watch for now, intrigued by her approach method. Though, as not to mistake my intentions, I called out to her and the stallion both. “Fine day we’re having, I assume you both are well?

Unregistered

Keelin
Is my heart of gold?

Keelin's dreams were filled with murk and mud, and dripped with purples, blacks, and blues. His was a bruised mind. Scents and sounds from other horses filtered in from the other world, but contorted to screams. The "real world," it was called, but it was no more real from Keelin's nightmares. These were real too, even if the others couldn't see.
A sound burst suddenly from the blackness. It was the voice of angels. Honey. Heaven.
He jerked awake to find the lovely face of a mare above him. Her face was soft, full of benevolent expression. His breath was stolen by this angel.

"H-hi," he stammered. His voice cracked slightly. He hadn't spoken in over a year. "Helovia? Is that where I am now?" he asked shyly.
He couldn't explain his sudden shyness, but it was probably because it had been so long since he had seen a horse, much less a beautiful mare. Another, deeper voice brought him back to his usual demeanor.
He leapt to his hooves and pinned back his ears at the approach of the stallion. He let out a snort. Realizing he meant no harm, however, Keelin allowed himself to relax a touch. His muscles untensed, but his ears remained slightly turned.
"Good day," he grumbled. There was fear in his eyes.

"blah blah blah."

Romani

When the stallion jerked awake, Romani took a slight step back, startled and shamed that she had woken him from his sleep. He looked as if he needed his rest, and knowing that she had stolen that from him caused her stomach to twist guiltily. Little Kasai, who had been playing behind her haunches, abruptly scampered underneath the Haflinger’s protective girth in fear at the stallion’s quick moves, her small head peeking out from between Romani’s knees and curious blue eyes appraising the stranger. A small, harmless hiss escaped the feline’s lips. The red palomino brushed her leg against the cub to calm her fears.

“I’m terribly sorry, sir, I didn’t mean to wake you,” Romani began, blue eyes soft and smile turning somewhat apologetic, “but yes… Helovia is the land you stand in now. This is the Threshold, where all newcomers venture.” Before she could get much more out, another voice, this one deeper and unfamiliar, sang through the air and Romani’s head jerked to the side. Her ears tipped back slightly at the thought of potential danger, a warrior’s instinct, but when her eyes landed upon the arrival of another, the fear seemed short lived. A Pegasus, he looked like, but his wings were oddly sized… The way that the stallion held himself, however, signaled no form of a threat, and Romani felt herself relaxing. Kasai, still filled with the uncertainties of a youngling, remained where she was; half hidden beneath the Haflinger’s compact body.

“It is a beautiful day, stranger,” she said kindly, offering the Pegasus a welcoming smile. To her, his presence wasn’t unwanted. “And they’ll only grow more beautiful as time goes on, and I am well, thank you.” Glancing to the tobiano equine, her smile grew, azure eyes dancing in merriment. “Forgive me for being so rude, both of you; my name is Romani, warrior of the Windtossed Foothills, and this is Kasai.” Tipping her head slightly, she motioned to the white tiger cub that still hid beneath her barrel. “May I ask your names?”

The true Soldier fights not because
He hates what is in front of him,
But because he loves what is behind him.

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Unregistered

Keelin
Is my heart of gold?

Keelin gruffly muttered an uncommitted hello to the stallion, trying to show that he was offended by his appearance. Anger and fear were rising determinedly in Keelin's throat, and he fought them down with difficulty, wanting to deliver a swift biting remark to the stallion's flank. With a flick of his tail, he turned thi mind and body back to the mare.
"Helovia." He whispered to himself, feeling the weight of it on his tongue. It rolled slightly, and the sound of it tasted fresh in Keelin's mouth.
Yes, maybe he could like it here, even if there were stallions. Maybe he could try to belong somewhere.
He then weighed Romani's name in his mind. Gypsy. He wondered if she was like her name, always on the move, and cunning. After a moment, he remembered to introduce himself.

"Pardon my manners, miss," he said with a smile and a slight bow. "I am Keelin. Your humble servant. Would you, pray tell, know of anywhere I could stay for the night or, perhaps, longer?" He asked politely, and hoped that his desperation was hidden from his voice.

He was exhausted to the point where he felt that collapse would be a welcome release. A small hiss escaped from underneath Romani, and Keelin noticed for the first time that indeed, a tiger cub was in their midst. He recalled that Romani had introduced it, but he had been too distracted by the stallion to notice. He lowered his head to get a better look.
He always had a soft spot for babies.

Romani

The stallion’s somewhat hostile responses to the Pegasus did not go unnoticed by Romani, but she refused to make any comments out loud about it. Did he have a problem with others stallions? Perhaps something had happened to him, in the past,that had scarred him from trusting other males? Honestly, to the Haflinger, the bay Pegasus didn’t look as if he wished to either of them harm, but then again she didn’t know the whole story.

‘Pardon my manners, miss. I am Keelin. Your humble servant.’ His words were flattering, and embarrassing, to hear, for Romani had done nothing of the sort to deserve them. He was humble, perhaps that was true, but there was no reason that he had to be a servant to one such as her. Shaking her head, the pretty mare smiled brightly, azure eyes swimming in kindness.

“It’s a pleasure. If you’re searching for a place to settle and rest, good Keelin, I would offer you the lands of my home; the Foothills of Helovia. It isn’t a far walk from the Threshold, and if it isn’t to your liking, you’re more than welcome to continue on your way.” There was no way of knowing if he would take her up on her offer, but she hoped that she would. While there was no doubt about the strength that Keelin obviously possessed, it was also clear that he needed to gain more weight, and catch up on his rest. Whatever had wounded him, physically or mentally, to reduce him to such a state would surely take some time to recover from. In her opinion the Foothills would be the best place for recovery. “There are many herds here in Helovia; the Foothills, the Edge, the Dragon’s Throat, and the Basin, but I fear that you won’t want to step foot in the Basin, for its home to the most racist of Unicorns.”

Beneath her compact body, trying to remain hidden, Kasai watched the stranger with wary eyes. She still didn’t know what to make of strangers, and oftentimes took to hiding beneath Romani’s thick legs whenever she felt threatened or in danger, as she was so obviously doing now. When the stallion eyed her, however, the cub merely watched on in silence. There didn’t seem to be any sort of threat emanating from the new equine, and so with a tentative step, the little cub finally pulled herself free of the Haflinger’s protective stature. The cub’s little pink nose and whiskers twitched as she smelled the stallion, tail beginning to sway before a soft purr left her throat. Perhaps this new equine would be so kind as to play with her?

Romani chuckled and lowered her neck, pressing her nose into Kasai’s furry neck with an affectionate nudge. “She likes you, I think… Normally she stays well-hidden from strangers.” Lifting her head once more, forelock falling gracefully back onto her face to cover her azure eyes, she looked back to Keelin. “So… What do you say? Will you come with me?”

[OOC: Linds, I hope it’s alright that we skipped you… XD]

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
ooc| It's fine lovelies, just had a hectic New Years! I'm so sorry about that and I encourage you guys to continue without me & good luck to Keelin in the Foothills. <33