the Rift

Walk a Little Straighter | Open

Kipp Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Humming followed the boy wherever he wandered, reveling in the magic of the Earth God. Birdsong was the triumph of the Earth immortal over the bitter Frostfall that had clung like a wild cougar on the back of Helovia. It truly hadn't wanted to leave, but Kipp was glad to see it go. He much preferred the nature of his beloved Lord after all. Nature surrounded the Foothills, flourished in every nook and cranny. Protected by the wall of mountains, greenery was abundant in the herdland. Awed by these changed, Kipp had wandered away on his own to explore lands he knew better than his own body. He'd grown up here after all. Happy blue eyes observed the birds that flitted overhead, sun shining up the curve of his horn as he watched them go.

They were beautiful no doubt, but Kipp knew that dogs were the only acceptable companions from the sons of Mandrake. Of course she was 'Mother' to him, not Mandrake. And Kipp was more than eager to follow in the footsteps of his brothers and take on a companion just as they had. Though he doubted he would have large dogs like Archibald, or Knox. With the running around he did, he wanted his companion to keep up and entertain him. Dapples of sunlight fell along the appaloosa spotting along his rump, only causing further confusion of spots and dots. The canopy of trees above did not escape his constant attention as he marveled at the different wonders. It felt as if he was growing with every new minute. In mind, body, and spirit. He was taking after his father quite a lot, but he still loved Mother. Even if she was rather terrifying. He knew better than to go against her, warnings from both his father and the reminder of Casimir always keeping him far from her punishing blows. Somehow he had grown up a rather free spirit, and he yearned to journey to the Earth God's lands. Wishing for the ability to speak with any animal he pleased, and to gain his companion. Kipp flicked his tail and shook away the dew that rested on his listeners, as it was still early morning. The sky a beautiful mix of pinks and purples. The humming continued as he took a winding path through the trees of his home. Having no real destination but enjoying the familiar earthy scents mingling with the Foothills distinctive smell. Home in both ways.

Credit

Mandrake Posts: 53
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: 15
Alex

Kipp. I could smell Kipp. I opened my silver eyes, inhaled, and surely enough, it smelled of Kipp, my son. My tail swished once, twice, and I wondered if Wilder had been more successful in leading my lost sons home than he had thought. I began to move, even despite the exhaustion still tugging at my limbs- I had been hunting nearly all night, tracking down a lost deer and feeding on it before, finally, transforming back into my old form.

I knew I was getting old, fifteen years wasn't exactly young, but it hadn't made me any less sharp, even more vindictive and manipulating if anything as I started to leave the fighting to my sons. But even so, my knees gave a little squeal of protest. I had heard of domestication and how horses lived for twenty, thirty years there, but not here. If not for my ability to turn predator... well, horses in the wild do not last thirty years. So.

I lifted my eyes, listening to the birds chirping softly. I didn't like birds. They were annoying twittering things, always yammering on. Like everything, they did have their uses though; they tasted excellent when I caught them in my black claws.

I finally emerged from the dark trees, eyes hard, and stopped. Where had Kipp been? Because surely enough, my nose had not deceived me.

"Kipp? Where have you been?" I used my hard, sharp voice, my punishing voice. He should not have been gone this long.

Unregistered

How long had it been since he had been here? His father had been his only company for quite a while, and it felt nice to finally have a home again. It seemed that for so long they were traveling, trying to find the rest of their rather large family. Kipp was still a bit young, but he knew that Mother never let her lovers stay around long. He shuddered as he thought of what could possibly happen to them. Pushing those thoughts away he focused instead on the happiness he felt at the fact he was home, surrounded by his brothers and father. It was strange to know that Archi and Evers were actually leaders! Kipp didn't know if he could ever be a leader, it didn't really suit his tastes. He didn't want to give up his special connection with the Earth, didn't want to have to sacrifice this special time that he was experiencing and bathing in right in that moment. Plus leading an entire herd? Having every decisions outcome fall on your shoulders and be your responsibility?

Sure, Kipp would love to have an important role in the Foothills, but he would never wish to be a leader. He valued friendship too much to ever be able to detach himself at times from his subjects. Happy exploration ended when a rather familiar scent intruded on his senses. Mother. She appeared from the darkness that somehow managed to remain between the trees, and Kipp wished he could shrink or run away. Her voice was cutting, and he knew that tone well.

Uh oh...

But Kipp knew how to handle Mother, at least a little. "I've been traveling with Father, Mother. We didn't know how to find you for a long time..." Eyes awkwardly moving away, to show submission. It wasn't technically his fault, he'd merely been following his father. Not that he wanted Father to be punished either! It was all a matter of coincidence. Hoping to appeal to his mother he turned and gave a tiny smile, knowing better than to look too joyous. "It's nice to be back, Mother."

Credit

Deceased
Alex

There is something predatory in my hard, gray eyes as I watch him, unmoving, uncaring, a statue; one might call me unloving, punishing, but I only intend to take in, to create horses who may do something; I guide them, not tear them down, even if it takes pain to make something brilliant. Joints popped and creaked under me as I took a step closer, the muscles in my graying legs squealing with pain. But every route to greatness took blood and time, so I ignored the shrill protests.

He has grown in the time he has gone. An inch taller than me, chiseled features, looking as if he was carved from blue-gray stone slowly weathered to white along his hind end. Or, maybe, the gray statue was caught in a snowstorm, leaving snow and cream in a blanket over my son's rump. A mane, thin and long and black, really quite similar to Evers'- but Evers did not have a glass horn, a delicate spiral, twisting up from his forehead, with the slightest of curves to it. A perfect weapon for gutting and opening and wounding, but I knew my sons- he was too weak, so often, to be able to fight like the Dauntless or Emerson. Or even Knox. In some ways, Kipp looked quite like his father; but his father's coat was dark earth, and his horn the same, with his leonine tail cut off smoothly.

"You didn't know how to find me." I say, lips curling in disgust. This is not even an excuse, this is not worthy of being anything more than dirt. "You deserve a punishment." I snarl, stepping closer. The grass gives way under me, terrified.

I reach out, aiming to bite his ear, crush it between my teeth- should he dare to avoid, he will suffer much worse under claws and fangs of a jaguar.

Unregistered

Mother has never looked so...small, before. Kipp hadn't realized until she stood beside him, but he was definitely shooting up. Her eyes were cold and hard, and in that moment Kipp hated her. He was never one to hate, but if he ever did it would be Mother. Emerson had always been loving, encouraging him to do what he wanted. Mother on the other hand was far too cold, as if carved from ice and slate. She reflected it through her coat, through every aspect of her life. Kipp had enjoyed being away from her; frolicking, playing, learning. It hadn't been long, but it had certainly left an impression. But then in a flash it was gone, and he felt absolutely terrible. He couldn't hate her, she was his mother.

Mother's lips curled, anger and disgust filling her face. Kipp knew what came next, and felt a bit queasy. He wasn't good with pain, or punishment. Didn't know if he could handle it without giving in and doing something he really shouldn't. She lunged and grabbed hold of his ear and he bellowed, the noise having moved from the ranges of childish squealing into the adolescence of his gender. Kipp allowed her to bite down for a while before he couldn't handle it and wheeled away, ripping himself from her and springing away with the agility his stature gave him. Head lowered in shame and fear. Hoping he hadn't struck her when he'd thrust out his forelegs. He couldn't help it, he'd thrust away with his hind legs to get away from her and naturally his forelegs would rise. If he'd hit her on accident, he'd be punished severely. "I was following Emerson! You never taught me how to track others!" It was completely unfair what she was doing, and it leaked a little into the terrified, childish waiver of his voice. Desperate, hoping he wouldn't be punished even more. Tone reflecting how weak and small he felt, inwardly begging her not to hurt him again. She was much stronger than him, and he'd taken her punishments every time. But now he was much more inclined to flee, and felt like a coward for it. Even so, Kipp had been raised by her and knew running wasn't an option. It still crossed his mind every time, as he was one of the sons most punished due to his behavior and personality.

Credit

Deceased
Alex

Weakness. He is weak, deserving of worse, perhaps like my son who I blinded for back-talking- a good idea, in fact, for Tajheri. But Tajheri I had always been fond over for that reason, for sometimes it is nice to hear a son's voice not quiet with respect. He's disgusting, Kipp, and I wonder how I and Emerson sired something like this. Where did I go wrong? No, I hardly ever do wrong- it must've been Emerson. He deserves a punishment, as does Wilder, for Wilder failed me, and Emerson was more than just an hour late.

My teeth come down, crushing the soft tissue with fond delight at causing pain, but also bitter disappointment. Kipp failed me. What have my sons become? Weaklings, fools? He deserves so much worse. He bellows, and I clench tighter on the tissue- he is weak, not being able to hold in the pain. There is blood stinging my tongue, and then I release the ear, right as he jumps away, nearly crying the colt is.

One of his forelegs nearly hit me, but I remain unyielding as a hoof nicks my neck. "You disgust me Kipp." I growl, tail flicking across my gray flanks. "You are weak. Pathetic. You must learn to contain yourself. In battle, not one single horse will give you quarter should you not be able to hold in the pain." He wails like a kitten whose tail has been stepped on, and I listen without pity to his complaints. "Grow up Kipp. There is no place for you by my side, or in this world, if you keep acting like such a fool. And do not ever accuse me of being the cause of your troubles." He already knows the only way out of being my son, I should hope.

That is death or maiming beyond being a horse anymore.

So he better learn quickly, or he will be reduced to something with ears gone and tail shorn, eyes blind and nose torn. And he will wish I had killed him right away. But him, speaking of Emerson... "Where is your father, Kipp?" My voice remains chilled, but the imminent threat is gone from it. Yes, indeed, where is Emerson? Were all my sons gone together?