the Rift

Even Heroes Have the Right to Bleed [Mirage, Open]

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

I WILL LIVE FOR YOU

It felt like his lungs were on fire. While the World's Edge was truly not too great a distance from the Basin, Xanthos had wanted to assure that he would not be caught up with, aussre that he wouldn't be dragged back to that hellish place. He would miss nothing but it's beauty, however sour it had been turned with the presence of the distasteful unicorns. There were few exceptions to them, like Soren; he could only pray that the young colt would continue to strive towards a higher purpose, to keep himself away from those who spat upon hornless.

By the time he reached his feet had met the grassy floor outside of the Steppe, the grullo was out of breath, nostrils flaring as he drank in the crisp morning air. It burned, and his legs begged him to stop and take a break, but he wouldn't halt until he had made it to the Edge. He was beginning to grow apprehensive with each step he took towards the borders of the land. The great Weyrleader had extended an open invitation to the misty forest, but Xanthos couldn't help but think, what would the rest of the herd think? Once they learned that he was the one to have stolen the Dragonheart, would they turn up their noses, ignore him, attack him? Sucking in a deep breath, the stallion pressed on, now at a steady trot as he entered the World's Edge. The cool mist was invigorating to his hot hide, and idly, the grullo thanked the Gods that he had finally made it.

He was a sight to behold, his coat still splattered with the Dragonheart's very blood. It looked as though he had taken part in a massacre, when really, it had been nothing of the sort. Mirage's plan had been one of brilliance, but in his excitement to finally escape the Basin, he'd hardly given himself time to think of what to tell the Empress when she arrived. He had felt a fool in the presence of the Empress and her Haruspex, but now that he was free of their reign upon him, he wouldn't dwell on it.

As he walked cautiously into the Edge, he was ever alert of any approaching forms, doing his best to scent out Mirage herself. She had taken to the skies in her departure, however, so he wasn't surprised that it was proving a difficult task.

BEFORE I DIE

Credits

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
larfsalot.deviantart.com

The mare had shed the illustrious, golden bodice that was her draconic form, suffering through the pain and agony that was the double-edged sword of her magic, though the return of her mental embrace with her dragon had softened it some. Affection was prominent, amidst a whirlwind, a torrent of information, emotions, exclamations, tales, reaffirmations of shared ideals and loves, and the simplicity of a sense of sheer completeness, had encouraged the dragon-mare to return to her equine encasement, and resume treading her home upon four neat, hard, dark hooves. Lithe and flexible as a shadow, she weaved her way through the mists, the trees, over the soft loam, treading carefully so that barely a hint of her presence lingered afterward. Of course, the entire realm seemed to rejoice at the return of its leader, the very winds hummed with life with every swish of her tail, the mists whispered excited hints, spreading rumours of her whereabouts.

The little shadow creature walked as a mirage this day, for while she held her equine bodice, she wanted to use the magic that would allow her to evade an attack from ever landing, magic that would hide her from an enemies eyes, so that none ever knew where she stood, where she was headed, nor where she had been. A golden dragon flitted in the trees above; both were somewhat underweight, but the time since their return had seen their bellies fill with drink and food, necessary sustenance in the direction of healing the weakness that had settled over them during their capture.

The WeyrLeader had hardly stopped thinking of the one responsible for her capture. Xanthos, she recalled the name, as if desperately hoping that if she thought about it enough times, it would make him appear before her, unharmed and free of the Basin just as she was. It was still a surreal circumstance for her, that she would be captured by one who did not believe in what he did, yet did it anyway. That he would guard her, not only against her escape, but also in part, she believed, against what his herd might do to her. He had expressed his feelings to her, he had shown that he was sorry, that he longed to repent, that he was willing to help her escape, in exchange for what she could offer him. Protection. Family. It was such a unique, strange situation, even after discussing it with her comrades, her kin, she knew they would not entirely understand Xanthos the way she had, they had not been there. She hoped it would happen swiftly, that they would not go against her wishes and harm one she had sworn to protect, just as he had protected her.

Ears pricked, and muffled footfalls ceased for a moment, a breath, as something called her attention to the borders of the land. Akaith chortled above her, and swiftly, they moved through the lands together, a flicker of shadow and bent light, and a drop of golden sunlight dancing above the little illusion. A song, melodious and strong, carved by a voicebox healed from its dry and harsh treatment during its time in the Basin, drifted from the maw of the Leader. It was a welcoming song, an angelic and comforting embrace of musical notes and gentle curls of sound. Golden eyes alighted upon similarly golden pools, and like that, the illusion dripped away from the mare, and a smile, broad and true curved her lips.

"Xanthos!" Warm, melodic tones called the name, just as her nose stretched out to properly greet him. His scent was thick with sweat and blood - her blood. "Come quick, to the stream." She could see the fatigue etched into him, the exhaustion that plagued him - but it was important, vitally so, that he refreshed himself, both by drinking and washing his body. Warm wuffles rolled from her chest, and Akaith greeted him in her own way - slightly more guarded than her bonded, but still, the little dragon landed upon the dark mare's nape, and leaned her reptilian head over so that her pointed snout would be in reach of the stallion's own muzzle, should he proffer it in return. Then, the little shadow creature turned her bodice, and, hoping that Xanthos would follow her, led him to the stream. "Welcome home." She spoke, warmth and mirth in her voice, though there was concern evident too, in the crinkle of her brow. Her motion only paused when they reached the stream, where she too bent her crown to the rippling surface of the liquid, and wet her tongue once more.

Outcast

I WILL LIVE FOR YOU

For some time, as he walked, Xanthos wondered if he should simply wait at the borders and let out a call to make his presence known. Even if Mirage had given him an open invitation to this misty land, he still felt an intruder, at least for now. The underlying worry of how the rest of the herd would react to him was neverending, but what was he to do? He would do his best to make peace in whatever ways possible, showing that despite everyone's thoughts, not all of the Basin unicorns were the same.

The grullo came to a sudden halt, his head snapping up and black-tipped ears twitching foward. A melodious call cut through the air, familiar in tone, yet different all at once. It was Mirage, he knew, and he could only guess that she had returned to her normal, hooved, equine figure. There was a ripple of excitement deep within his chest before he returned the call, gentle, floating on the winds, simply allowing the mare a simpler way to find him if she hadn't already.

She seemed to appear before his very eyes, and at her sight, the beginning of a smile began to pull at his black lips. He couldn't explain the joy he felt at seeing Mirage like this; out of the Basin, full of joy and pride to be back in her home, happy.

"Mirage," he spoke up, delightedly helping to close the space between them. There was no hesitance when he stretched his velveteen muzzle out towards her, allowing them to touch briefly in a welcoming gesture. It may have been something simple, so trivial that he shouldn't have hardly cared, but already, he felt like he belonged here. His attention went to the golden dragon perched upon the Weyrleader's nape, and with a short chuckle, he reached up to greet Akaith as well. He was glad to see the little dragon had changed her opinion of him since their capture.

The trio headed for a nearby stream, then, Xanthos trailing along at a comfortable distance from the Dragonheart. He couldn't help but gaze at the wound upon her shoulder as they went along, for it did look quite grisly and painful, but ever since he'd seen the mare's transformation... Well, he expected that she was tougher than one might think at first, and she had more than likely dealt with worse. When they arrived at the stream, the grullo was beyond eager to plunge his lips into the crisp waters, sucking down the water that would surely do wonders to cool his body.

When he had drank his fill, he lifted his head and breathed a sigh before returning his gaze to the Weyrleader. There were a thousand emotions dancing in his golden eyes, but none shown more brightly than his happiness. "Thank you, Mirage; I'll never be able to thank you enough. It already feels wonderous to be here. I'm glad to see that you made it back without trouble." For if he had learned otherwise, he wasn't sure what he would do.

A moment later, the grullo remembered the dried, unsightly blood melded into his coat, and knew that it would be best to rid himself of it before anyone else showed up. Excusing himself, he made his way into the cool waters and set to washing the stains away. It was somewhat of a difficult task, considering the shallow depth of the stream, but eventually, he had done what he could to cleanse himself. A spot or two might have remained, but there was nowhere near as much as before.

Only after giving a shake of his body did the grullo step out from the stream, his attention immediately settling back upon the ebony body that was Mirage. He had debated upon whether or not he should wait to bombard the mare with questions, and so deciding to settle somewhere in the middle, he asked one. "Mirage," he began, his lips pursing for a moment as he thought on his exact words, "I have been thinking, all the while that I ran here... I must do something for you; I don't want to be useless as I was within the Basin. What ranks are available for me? I understand that I will have to work for it, but I'm prepared."

BEFORE I DIE

Credits

Sage Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

SAGE
my sun sets to rise again.

Home? The ire of the golden beauty stumbles, and Sage holds back the barbed words on her tongue as she hear the lady she had missed utter a welcome to the snake who had stolen her away. Welcome home? You and I would laugh at the contorted expression of confusion on her beautiful face, were it not sent straight from the heart and rested uneasily upon her. Sage was a simple mare, one born of honor and trust. The mare she decided to stand behind was Mirage, and now the black tower of a lady had just spit the last words she had expected out of the snake-eyed fool. Glowering at the stallion from her vantage in the tree above, perched precariously on a branch, Sage considers this new fact in her mind before leaping down.

Her agile body falls nimbly between the trees' outreached limbs, a marvel we wonder at even as she lands easily as a cat, wings outstretched ever so slightly, between the pair upon the ground. Sage's breathing is steady, and she makes sure to turn her affectionate gaze to Mirage first, if such an expression we see could be called affectionate.

"Lady Mirage," she says, her voice elegant and curved like the gentle lady she appears to be, not the lionness lurking beneath her golden pelt. "I should have never doubted your abilities to see yourself free. I almost went to fetch you myself." The last sentence is rather condescending, as her face had turned to look toward Xanthos with a steely glint of mistrust. This snake in the grass, standing in her home, so near to her Queen. Sage did not like it, but she would dare not speak out against the leader of the Qian. Mirage knew better than she who to trust. We know that Sage is not apt to begin to trust him so quickly, though. The golden beauty snaps her teeth quietly while looking at the snake, a silent warning that he should keep his grubby little paws away from her Mirage.

The WeyrLeader need not be tainted by such a gruesome looking stallion. Xanthos, his voice steady, had been asking something during Sage's quick descent to the riverbank. The mare searches her memory swiftly, pulling up a little seedling we otherwise might have missed. "We could use a janitor, Xanthos," the mare says with a hint of sarcasm and a tiny laugh, before she begins to stalk closer, graceful movements drawing her body nearer. Her soft eyes are cutting and apt in the light as they look over his form. He was hardly suited to train underneath her as a Protector. "Perhaps a Wraith, seems you have a knack for plucking others from their homes."

Then, with a bit of an exaggerate sigh, Sage shakes her head. "Where are my manners?" Bowing her head toward Xanthos, the golden mare looks up with a determined look in her pastel eyes. "I am Sage."

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

"Since when do you have manners, Captain?" a voice asks, teasing and just as lazy as the expression of the silvery grulla as he steps out from the shadows beneath the trees, accompanied by a decidedly more lively looking dragon. He walked with more ease now than when he'd stumbled into the welcoming group of Qian, thanks to the healing touches of Torasin, but the fresh scars across the shoulders still seemed to bother him as Lace stepped out into the stream.

He casually waded through the waters, offering Xanthos little more than a glance - neutral, bordering on cold - before he eased himself in between the unicorn and Mirage. Fajira came to land upon his back, happily chirping and leaning forward to nuzzle Akaith - she still hadn't gotten over the fact that she missed their homecoming, and then it didn't matter how much Lace excused her with being unconscious.

"You must have been practicing lately, Sage, I don't recall having heard you as cotton-tongued before" he continued and offered the pegasus a grin and a half-concealed wink before lowering the neck to take a sip of water. No doubt Mirage would see it, no doubt she would scold them for being impolite - but she really shouldn't blame them. How would she react if one of them was stolen from beneath her very nose, held captive, drugged, only for the offender to release them and follow them home as if it was the most natural thing in the world?

No, this turncoat of a stallion would have to work really hard to earn the trust of this Glazier, and could look in the stars for his approval. He wasn't as loud about it as the gold-winged general, but Lace very much shared her opinions on this newcomer. Maybe it was hypocritical considering his own background, but he really didn't care.

CREDITS: Schwartze | venomxbaby | 116802
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Solstice Posts: 93
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15 hh :: 8 (at time of death)
Emily
Hooves dug into the ground, pushing her frame faster and faster. The golden paint once again found herself glad that she was half arabian as it gifted her with speed that her father did not have. His draft side had kept her warm in the cold FrostFall nights, but it seemed to slow her down as she eagerly followed the unicorn that had once held Mirage hostage. She was free... She was finally FREE! Hazel eyes took in every single tree, every leaf, every little detail that had changed in her time away. An excited whinny escaped her as she pushed herself harder. She had to find Mirage, and the unicorn that had held her captive. After all she had a message to deliver.

The golden and ivory paint slowed her gait as she could hear four voices near by. Two were very familiar, one kind of familiar and the other was strange. She slowly changed her pace to a walk, her body stiff and sore from being a prisoner. "He has corrected his wrong doing, are we to hold this against him forever? After all he put his life at stake to allow our leader to return home... Even if he took her away to begin with." She came to stand, frame shaking slightly next to the grulla frame of Lace. After all he was one she knew. The palomino seemed to be a warrior, Solstice was sure that Aaron would be learning under her as well as a few of the others. Lace had addressed her as captain.. So this was the one who held the position her son longed for. Her eyes turned to Mirage before speaking calmly "I was set free by Psyche, but given a message to pass along. I will be the last prisoner to be released from the Basin... And that you may keep your new pet..." Here she glanced at Xanthos. Her look said it all. She had risked her own neck for him and he had run. He had left her behind. Solstice had been lucky that she was just told to get out instead of beat to death for lying.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
larfsalot.deviantart.com

His gratitude was graciously accepted, a graceful sweep of her tiara and a comforting, reassuring smile glowed upon her lips. The telltale scent of another crept into her nostrils then, and as the stallion pulled himself from the stream and announced his intentions to help the herd as best he could, Mirage was unsurprised to see her beloved Captain's golden bodice and sultry tones. The dark leader's delight was palpable as she greeted the winged mare with a smirking affection, Sage had been a long time friend, loyal and trustworthy, and while she was a bit rough around the edges, Mirage could not fault her for her feelings. She suspected the herd would hear the news with prejudice, but she had confidence that they would come to trust and like Xanthos as she was beginning to.

Sage raised some valid points, with regards to ranks - at least, the genuine suggestion she had made, and not the janitor jab. No sooner had she introduced herself, did Lace, cool and uncharacteristically nonchalant towards the newcomer. The WeyrLeader knew better than to assume he was pleased with her decision to bring her captor home, but she did know that he would respect it, at the very least. The next to arrive surprised the mare, though it was with delight that she received her painted palomino friend. "Solstice! What a relief." Soft muzzle moved to run against her own before her ears pricked to listen to her.

"Xanthos is hardly a pet; he made a mistake, and he has my forgiveness for it." The Weyrleader spoke with a snort in response to Solstice words, giving a pointed look to Lace as well. He was a stallion who had earned her forgiveness, and she did host some small, scrap of hope, that he would shift his misplaced, wounded pride and learn to swiftly accept Xanthos. She hoped they all would - but it would also be good for the stallion to have to prove himself. Though he gained himself acceptance into the herd's ranks through Mirage, he would need to gain himself entrance into the herd member's heart on his own reputation. The mare sighed, Akaith chortling above her quietly.

"Many ranks are available, and are needed at the moment, Xanthos. As Sage mentioned, Wraiths are needed to gather information, or you could become a Craftsman and study beneath Lace-" a wry smirk was given as she gestured her tiara to the Glazier -"Philosophers are encouraged to learn all they can of the land, and maintain good relations with our allies-" here she tilted towards Solstice -"Or else the ranks of Nurses are always needing to be filled." If he wanted to become a Protector, he would need to say as much, and prove it to his Captain, so Mirage did not bother to mention the rank yet.

"Any information you might have, Xanthos, I would be glad to hear it. Knowledge is a most powerful substance, I value it quite highly." He had said he wanted to help, no matter what rank he chose, Mirage did long for information of these unicorns who once dwelled amongst these trees. They had obviously regained their former strength, but what was the full extent of their plans?

Outcast

I WILL LIVE FOR YOU

One by one, the residents of the Edge came crawling out of the woodwork. The first was a Pegasus who leapt quite nimbly from a tree towering not far from him. The way she spoke to the Weyrleader showed nothing but respect, and it was obvious that the Pegasus held Mirage with high regards. Her coat was a polished golden color, the very sheen of it reminding him fondly of Romani's darker coat. "Xanthos," he said simply when she introduced herself, keeping his head level as he spoke. He didn't want to tip Sage off any more than she already was, so didn't dare comment on what she had said.

The palomino looked to him then, a look of warning in those beryl eyes. Although he hadn't been expecting to be welcomed with arms wide open, the derogatory comments directed at him were a bit of a surprise. Sage had said it with a laugh, though, as if she found her words completely acceptable. Honestly, she had every right to see these things, even if Xanthos didn't want to accept it. He had messed up bad, and it would take a long time to patch his mistakes up.

Two more showed up, then; an equine that resembled his own coloring, looking less than pleased at his presence, as well as the painted mare that he had desperately hoped would follow him during his escape. A ripple of releif fled through his veins to see that she was safe and had returned home without trouble. He might have voiced his delight, but it seemed that Solstice had her own news to share; a message from Psyche. If his memory served, there were no more prisoners residing in the Basin, but he had to wonder, was there some sort of cryptic message hidden in the Empress' words?

Mirage's words were a relief to hear, for as long as he had her forgiveness, he still felt as though he could change things around to the way they should have been. She went on, then, allowing for his mind to stray from the nasty glances and comments thrown his way. With each position that she listed, he debated whether or not he would be a good candidate. His thirst for knowledge and the need to help others pointed him towards the possibilities of a Philosopher or a Nurse, but there was something about mention of a Wraith that interested him. Sage had been right. Obviously, he was more than able to steal others away from the herdlands, a rather handy trait if it was ever needed. This time, however, he was positive he wouldn't be swayed by another prisoner. This was his home now.

"Wraith," the word rolled off his tongue after those few, long seconds of thought, "That is what I wish to be. As for information, the Basin has been rather quiet as of late. When we -- or, they -- were given the land by the God of the Spark himself, he made Psyche pledge that she would never make alliances, lest it be taken away." It might prove useless knowledge to the bunch standing before him, but it was all he knew, and an important tidbit in his own mind. He had to wonder, what exactly would the God do if the Basin went against his wishes?

BEFORE I DIE

Credits

Sage Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
( I am holding this up, so you guys can post around me. I will jump in when I get a chance! Sorry for not posting this sooner! )