the Rift

Butt Stallion Says "Hello"![Open]

Bernadette Posts: 14
World's Edge Mare
Mare :: Equine :: 14 hh :: 4
M.E.

Bernad(ette)

"What fun."

Somewhere deep within the emerald shadows and the twittering trees and greenery, was a petite little thing gamboling about on delicate foot-falls, twirling this way and that as she navigated her way through the thick branches. Birdsong had long since settled its influence upon the Threshold; the air was pleasant and the gurgling sounds of overfull streams and brooks echoed within the confines of the vaulted foliage, while calls and jeers and tweets from every animal here and there flowed in harmony with the overall ambiance of the forest. Deep, sparkling eyes took it all in, looking this way and that, enjoying the vibrant colors and the threat-less shadows. She had nothing to fear.

Of course she had nothing to fear.

"This is quite nice," Bernadette muttered to herself, steeping down to taste the crystalline water of a tiny creek that wound its way beneath her feet, "Though I wonder where I'm trying to get to? Is it...is it a problem that I have no...no goal to look forward to?" In a split second she was fearful in her visage, and the fawn-like creature suddenly turned about and looked behind her, slightly breathless. She was looking for something-- though it was true if one were to ask, Bernadette herself wouldn't be able to give a straight answer.

"O-of course it's not a problem," she stuttered, breathing heavily as she righted her footing and relaxed her posture, returning to the frisky, lively walk she had affected in trekking the spring-soaked forest, "It's fine, really, I have nothing to fear--it's natural, what I'm doing, isn't it, to frolic amongst the green things--" Bernadette was talking herself into another manic frenzy, her eyes popping slightly and very nearly shouting as she reassured her own innocence, "It's in my blood isn't it, as a young girl like myself?! After all I am indeed a mare, and this is what mares do-- yes, of course, I don't need a goal at the moment!" She nodded her head firmly, confident in her assertion, though her pace slowed a little bit and her stepping became less lively; slowly and surely Bernadette slowed to a complete stop, compelled to look behind her once again with an ominous expression.

"..At least, I don't need a goal right now," she murmured timidly to herself.

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds

The spring sun was warm upon my back, which seemed to brighten my otherwise weary mood. The days seemed to pass by slowly and in such a way that I found myself becoming restless and bored which was perhaps how I had ended up in the Threshold, which was somehow becoming a hobby of mine. Birdsong was certainly a fitting time of the year for the claiming grounds and around me the wild flowers were beginning to bloom in bright, earthy colors. It was hard to avoid crushing them under such a wide step and it was almost saddening to watch as sprigs of new grass were torn from their fresh beds to gather up and around my toes. However, the luminescent sunshine that billowed in through the tree limbs was distracting enough to make me forget the inevitable destruction of the Earth God’s new budding attire.

Though, I abandoned all former thought of seasonal bliss upon catching bits and pieces of distant conversation. It was only in my nature to interrupt, being that the Edge was still growing in vast division and I had only wanted to assist in our development. However, whether or not that was the case today, I wasn’t sure as I stumbled upon a curious mare, dappled in grey. She spoke softly to herself, though I knew not of what. Her tender conversation was probably not meant for my ears, but it was hard to ignore in the silence of the Threshold. She is a fragile looking creature, barely tall enough to touch my shoulder, but then again, size was never a defining factor. Her curious eyes seemed to dance about, never landing on one thing in particular which made me think of a humming bird. Everywhere she went, she seemed confused and disoriented, muttering lightly to herself as if such conversation were normal.

I don’t mean to interrupt, but I thought you could use a little company?” A small smile seemed to tug at the corners of my lips, freezing there until I had approached slowly from the tree line. The ground was soft beneath my feet, giving way under my weight as the new spring soil opened under the warming sun. I looked at the mare now, deep brown eyes extending gracious and wholehearted welcome. But I was weary of her, though I couldn’t say why. Perhaps it was the way in which she spoke, so tense and questioning as if she were indeed speaking to another. But it was not so, and I didn’t press her for answers. Instead, I merely waited, gazing at her in such a way that she would not feel uncomfortable in my company. After all, maybe she would one day call The Edge her home, just as I had so many months ago.

World's Edge Mare
M.E.

Bernad(ette)

*“I don’t mean to interrupt, but I thought you could use a little company?”*

As skittish Bernadette had been in the moments before the baritone voice cut through the still air of the Threshold, she was remarkably calm as her gaze fell upon the massive creature before her. True, she did jump a little in her place and gave a little mousey squeak in shock, but it was a minimal reaction, and certainly not one inclined towards fear. Perhaps she had been talking to herself too loudly to notice his approach? The thought caused the tips of her ears to turn a soft, rosy shade of pink in her embarrassment; she really must work on that little....aspect of hers.

"Oh! Yes...yes of course! Company! Yes!" she fluttered, having to raise her head a little in order to look this stallion in the eye. He was quite possibly the largest living monolith Bernadette had ever set eyes on, and yet she felt no fear of him; in fact, she was much more interested than afraid, possibly as he was one of the first equids she had met face-to-face. And he was offering company! Somehow, Bernadette welcomed such a solidly build friend to accompany her. "I wouldn't mind in the slightest!" she said brightly, flashing a genuine grin of friendship. "My name is Bernadette," she said with a graceful dip of her head and hoof. "I'm a mare, see," she insistently added, nodding her affirmation.

Casting a quick look behind her, Bernadette returned her attention to the hulking giant, her smile warm as honey and her eyes twinkling in excitement. "As I was saying, I would immensely enjoy some company. I'm--I'm not the largest creature on Earth, as you can see--" another look behind her,"--and I'll admit someone of your stature would be a huge comfort to me-" yet another look behind her, "--because I'd love to make it through these woods quite soon because I'm a mare--WAH!!"

Giving a short yelp of surprise, Bernadette suddenly bolted forward as though flames were licking the tips of her fetlocks and her tail--though she didn't go far, as she found herself knocking right into the friendly giant before her. She was so tiny it was doubtful that she had even moved the poor creature, much less do any damage; in fact, Bernadette was knocked back a little by the force of her own blow, which somehow knocked all vintages of panic out of her head. She shook herself a little, wondering what had scared her so much-- she swore she heard something behind her.

Giving a timid little smile up to the giant, Bernadette chuckled weakly, while her eyes glistened with contrition. "Ahem. Yes. Company."

Her shock was quite comical as she leaped from her skin at my entrance. She was like a small child, nervous and jittery, her eyes wandering and catching on everything but the situation at hand. I couldn’t condemn her for it though, as this was a land of freedom, was it not? She was a beautiful thing as it were, vibrant ivory coat gleaming in the spring sun like a lily floating on the edge of a slow-moving stream. Like it, maybe she was lost, never really certain about who she was or who she was to become. After all, had I not been in her shoes only a short time ago, searching for the meaning of life and where exactly I belonged?

However, there was something different about her, something soft an inviting… girlish. I only hoped that perhaps she would one day be able to call some place home- even if it wasn’t with me in The Edge. And when she looked up at me, innocent eyes wide and questioning, I couldn’t help but smile down at her. She reminded me of Tamira and how quiet she was upon first meeting her, at least until Myriad had jumped ruthlessly into the picture. I nodded to her coloring ears and chuckled to myself before asking quietly, “Ah, Bernadette, what exactly are you looking for here in the Threshold?

I was hesitant to acknowledge her nervous rambling and instead opted to tune it out… it could have been seen as rude, but what was I to say? I see you’re a mare, sorry, I thought you were a stallion just a few moments ago. I certainly couldn’t allow myself to appear ignorant in the name of The Edge when recruits were few and far between.

But as the meeting continued on, things seemed to her stranger by the second.

I had formerly thought that the mare was somewhat sane in the beginning of out meeting, but as things progressed, it seemed to get tense- weird. I wasn’t sure what the girl was looking at during her next bout of rambling, better known as insanity, but it was as if she were waiting for someone, always looking behind her as if they would poke their head through the shadows just to say “hey.” And as I stood contemplating her altogether uncanny actions, she jumped. It wasn’t like before though, it was much worse. She crashed into my chest and backed away once more as if nothing happened. This time I couldn’t help the shocked expression that overcame me. I looked around, searching and hoping that I would find something, anything, that would explain her explosion.

But of course, nothing was there. How… ironic.

Yes.. Uh, company. Are you sure you’re really up for some?” I couldn’t help but rush ahead, trying to amend the awkward succession of babbling that the mare seemed to take to under pressure. Or perhaps, she was just… that…odd. “I’m Thor by the way- World’s Edge Nurse.

World's Edge Mare
M.E.

Bernad(ette)

Bernadette fidgeted on the spot, her tail lashing behind her and her ears flicking everyplace around her as she strove to regain composure. It was almost positive that she was in safe, neutral territory-- for all the miles the poor maid had traveled, it was almost utter certainty she had nothing to fear. Nonetheless, the the poor lass didn't have rear-view mirrors. She couldn't possibly see what was behind her 24-7, and it wouldn't be the first time a wolf had tracked their prey all the way to the next continent....well, maybe it would be, but that crazy son of a bitch was insane and rich enough to do anything he damn well pleased. If Bernadette had hackles, the fawnlette would have raised them, such was her goosebumps.

*“Yes.. Uh, company. Are you sure you’re really up for some?”*

"Oh, yes!" Bernadette reassured the large stallion, her eyes bugging slightly in her faint desperation. It was quite true, really; the presence of another was hugely comforting in itself, but the knowledge that she was clinging to the shadow of a giant calmed her on a much deeper level than average. He seemed sure of himself, powerful in a much more complex way than his musculature. If anything, he offered a sure release; it was most certain that he would know a way out of these woods and even deeper into this peninsula, and almost surely helping the poor girl escape her captors. She would at least feel safe, hidden in the heart of a foreign land.

With a pang, Bernadette noticed the wary look in his eyes as he looked to and fro for whatever had caused her fright. He couldn't have seen anything-- it was the shadows themselves she was running from, the shadows of an Empire and the shackles that clung to her mind and rattled in her wake. Truthfully? There would probably be no escape from those kinds of demons; Bernadette would just have to learn how to take it in stride and learn how to eke a halfway normal living from the shattered remains of her past.

First, however, she had to make absolutley sure she was free.

*“I’m Thor by the way- World’s Edge Nurse.”*

"Thor!" she exclaimed cheerfully, trying and somewhat failing to cover up her moments of panic with light conversation, "And you're a Nurse? That sounds very interesting, I'd guess you've seen your share of patients, hmm?" She tried to keep her tone light and carefree, but a spriggle of nervousness touched the faintest tips of her tail and her fetlocks; Bernadette painfully resisted the urge to look behind her again. They've been standing here much too long already. They had to move. They had to.

"So, um, World's Edge," she started, beginning to walk with a casual pace and hoping Thor would follow, "Tell me-- is this your herd? Or is this the name of the land?" Hopefully, by keeping her mind and his mouth occupied, Bernadette would avoid another panic-attack. And maybe even get out of these woods in a timely fashion.

~~~~~~~

"Hello!"
Goodbye!
Gettin' out of Dodge.

With everything said and done, I felt a little more at ease in the company of the flighty maid. I was entirely unused to her antics and while she seemed like a pleasant creature, her disposition was enough to throw me. Her eyes were wild, though beautiful and her legs seemed ever-ready, tense and unforgiving as if at any moment she might flee. I was tempted to ask of her afflictions, but I did not want to assume anything of her, lest offend her with my curiosity. I closed my eyes against the slight breeze and flexed my under-sized wings against my spine. At times like this, I felt somewhat conflicted about my appearance. She had no idea who I was or what I did and had every right to judge my flaws should she see it fit. But I was hopeful that her opinion of me had not been hindered due to my utter lack of control over my deformity.

As I turned back to the small mare, I noticed her shoulder had come together in a queer anxious display of fright. Something about her insecurities made me want to comfort her and so I stepped closer, offering her my shadow to hide her away from her own fears. I nudged her now, eager to reassure her that here, she was safe. “You are in Helovia my dear and I’m quite certain you have nothing to fear…” My words seemed to fade on my tongue as the thought trailed off and into the open air like some forgotten notion. Again, her eyes seemed to betray her, despite her strained efforts to conceal her anxiety. I smile despite myself, certain that her distress is unwarranted- at least right now, here in the Threshold.

However, it didn’t come as a shock to me when she started edging away, trying to rid herself of whatever fantasies that came with her past. She was conversational as ever, perpetually jubilant despite her constant need to look over her shoulder. “I haven’t been given the chance to heal anyone as of yet, though the kind of healing I seek to endure is not so much of the physical nature and more so of the mental one.” I was proud that I had come so far from being so aimless to deciding on a path that I felt right for me. I was hesitant to say more due to her restless descent from the Threshold, but I figured it was as a good a time as any to inform her of the Edge- my home.

Yes, The Edge is my home. Mirage the Dragonheart is our WeyrLeader, and I must say that I have felt welcomed since the first day she invited me to join her ranks. There are many herd lands throughout Helovia, such as Dragon’s Throat, The Windtossed Foothills, and Aurora Basin- if you feel you’ve a darkness to which you must cater.” I pause now, clearly disgusted by the thought of allowing Bernadette to live amongst those wolves. But, Helovia was a place of choice and I wasn’t going to deny her of such. “However, if you’re looking for a place in which you may call home… I would gladly show you around The Edge if you so desired. I think you would make a perfect addition to our small family.

I can feel the smile tugging at my lips now as I change our course, hesitantly maneuvering her towards The Edge. If she felt that she would feel more at home elsewhere, I would gladly show her the way, but I wanted more than anything for her to feel safe without our borders. After all, we had come a long way from the bottom and all that was left was our uprising.

World's Edge Mare
M.E.

Bernad(ette)

It was certainly a huge comfort as the shadow of the huge, feather-hoofed Thor was thrown over Bernadette as though it were a bolted tarp; it felt like one as well, as the debris and shrapnel of the striking missiles of fear were being held at bay for the time being. His touch, however sent a spark of nervous electricity through her frame; Bernadette hitched her breath and gave a tiny jolt ("Oh!") before taking a small step away from him with her quarters. It wasn't a movement out of skiddish caution or affront-- it honestly wasn't any sort of negative reaction at all, in reality. The astounding truth of the matter was that Bernadette hadn't ever really been touched before-- or maybe she had, but she had no memory of any tender, encouraging, positive touch in her lifetime that was worth any sort of thought.

She did calm down, though. And her eyes, ever straining against the boundaries of her cranium and trying to peek through the flesh at the back of her head to spot any type of trouble-- well, those sparkling titanium orbs lidded themselves, deepening its color until her eyes were reduced to nothing more than steely pools of molten iron once more. Her breathing slowed into something a little more steady and she even lowered her head an inch or two, letting her blood cool from it's original boiling state. She was, to use the popular vernacular of the current age, finally starting to chill out.

Though it may have been rude, as they continued to walk and Thor began to wax eloquent about the land Bernadette had stumbled into, the dainty little gray fawn started to slip in and out of focus, not paying much attention to the words the stallion was saying. Bernadette didn't mean anything by it; on the contrary, she was immensely comforted by their progress through the forest and, of course, the Nurse's presence himself, reassuring her very thoroughly that she was safe and, maybe even more importantly, that she wasn't dreaming of this strange Ghost Land and that she--was--actually--free. She would continue to daydream to herself, and even start humming in her quiet contentment, only catching every third word or so of his speech. Then, however, he specifically threw her and offer and she cocked an ear to listen:

*"...if you’re looking for a place in which you may call home… I would gladly show you around The Edge if you so desired. I think you would make a perfect addition to our small family.” *

"You think so?" Bernadette said excitedly; her head snapped back up and her ears perked forward, while the prance crept back into her step as she surveyed the stallion,"You really mean it? I'm welcome to come to the Edge?" She sucked in her breath, quite ecstatic at the prospect and almost dancing in happiness. The thought that there was someone who found her worthy and "perfect" while actually giving her the option to leave somewhere was a novelty feeling to Bernadette-- as though she actually had free will! And she was allowed to exercise it!

It was almost as though she really WAS free!

"I would love to go! I would absolutely-- but that is," she cut herself short, suddenly doubtful of his judgement,"--I mean, I really appreciate the offer, but...Am I...am I really Edge material?" She ran a critical eye over Thor, her gaze sweeping his hooves before roving back up to this forelock."You sure I'm not too....small? I am a mare, you know," she reminded him. Just as she had never truly seen another horse before--save for some hazy, fuzzy memories of her mother-- Bernadette didn't really have a frame of reference for the "normality" of a horse herd, just as she wasn't sure of any sort of "normality" between horse to horse. For all she knew, she was a midget compared to the majestically thick musclebeasts which may or may not roam these lands. Thor's deformity was quite lost on her; she simply had no way of knowing how pegasi would otherwise look. To be fair, however, Bernadette still hadn't really caught sight of Thor's "unfortunate" aspects, or else hadn't really caught a good look at them, at any rate.

Her eyes had been too busy to look for dangers that weren't really there.

(OOC: Bad headache x.x Please forgive any typos and whatnot. On the flip side, points for Homestuck reference.)

~~~~~~~

"Hello!"
Goodbye!
Gettin' out of Dodge.

The Edge was an amazing place to call home and I had no quarrels about it’s significance to my heart. If I had done anything differently in my life, I wouldn’t be who I am today and I have no shame in the way I live. I had discovered a new part of myself that I longed to indulge. I wanted to heal and to enjoy the sense of self-satisfaction that I would surely encounter while doing so. I could remember Adura, whom I found in the Threshold, frail and starving. I had brought her back to the Edge in hoped that she could recover and now, months later, she was flourishing within the mists of our home. She was an angel born of greed and I had allowed her to spread her wings within the veils of safety that the fog created along our borders. However, the mist wasn’t our only form of defense. Mirage the Dragonheart was a force to be reckoned with and I was more than glad to back her when she called. Many rivals tried to mimic her leadership, but in my mind’s eyes, we had ended up with the very best.

My body had grown thick in the winter months and I was certain that I could shed a few pounds, but that wasn’t my purpose today. Though, I made a silent promise to myself that I would contemplate taking up a few spars in order to sustain my former resilience. Something about the cold invited me to hibernation like some old grisly, hiding beneath the snowy mounds of frost until the sun finally grew near enough to swathe me in gentle heat. My bones had even grown brittle from the lack of activity and my knees were eager to protest as I moved across the moist earth, damp from the approaching spring rains. Around my toes, the mud began to suckle and screech beneath my weight and though I had grown somewhat accustomed to traversing the sticky remnants of Frostfall, I was greedily awaiting the hardened grounds of Tallsun.

However, the benign rays of spring light did wonders to illuminate the soft dappling along my bay coat. for once, I felt at an advantage when it came to my appearance, considering it had taken a low blow due to the deformity of my wings. But, as I thought about it, I wondered what exactly I would do with such an attribute. I was perfectly satisfied with wandering the lands on foot as it seemed that I had become more appreciative of the world around me that way.

Though, my sullen thoughts had been led astray and I knew that I needed to refer back to reality before poor Bernadette lost all interest in my rambling. Her eyes were wide when I returned, as if I had said something offensive. Though, it wasn’t long before disbelief replaced the former murkiness of her expression and I knew that I had her “hooked“. I hated to use the term in such a fashion, but I knew that she would benefit from meeting the members of the Edge- besides, they were in need of something new themselves. After all, she wasn’t exactly what I would call “normal” on any level.

But I liked her.

You’re size has nothing to do with the place in which you call home, silly. And if I did not feel that you were “Edge material”, I wouldn’t have suggested you come visit in the first place. You will always be welcome in The Edge should you so desire, though, I was hoping… that you would call it home.” I raised a brow at her now and a certain smugness touched my lips. Whatever it was about this mare that I felt I had to indulge, I would surely find out at some point in time and I only hoped that it was when I was showing her the ropes of my homeland. She would definitely love Mirage -as nearly everyone did- and she would love the view of the ocean beyond the cliff and the muted crashing of the waves far below. It was a soothing lullaby that beckoned me in the twilight hours beneath the Moon’s watchful gaze. I found comfort at it’s lip and I was certain that she would too.

I looked at her once more and smiled, a deep, endearing smile that touched my eyes and hopefully drew one a smile of her own- “So what do you say? Would you like to consider yourself a member of The World’s Edge?

ooc| You're post was lovely, don't worry. <3

World's Edge Mare
M.E.

Bernad(ette)

*"You will always be welcome in The Edge should you so desire, though, I was hoping… that you would call it home.”*

Bernadette's eyes widened ever so slightly as she listened to the words that spilt forth from Thor's maw; as her brain began to make sense of his words, something warm, strange, new was beginning to form and bubble in the pit of her stomach. Though Bernadette didn't know was it was at the time-- For, of course, she had no such stimuli in her life prior to this to even warrant such a reaction-- the dainty little thing was truly touched at the stallion's offer. It was one thing to be invited to a place and position based on unseen value; it was also another thing to be coveted and jealously possessed, collected as though one were a priceless figurine, kept in a glass box for days and days at a time, years and years until one's hooves turned to ashen, aching dust. This right here, however, was something different entirely; here was a genuine, heartfelt proposal from a stranger who meant no harm, who's greed was a tamed little thing that kept its head low. Here was someone pure of heart, extending a hand hoof in friendship, offering a place within a herd. A place within a family...

Bernadette was momentarily speechless; if she had the disposition for it, the gray fawn would have burst in fits of joyous crying, such was her immediate surge of emotion. Bernadette, however, wasn't one inclined towards tears. Instead, her ears perked forward at impossible angles to the ground, while her tail lifted in a triumphant flag and she pranced on the spot, manically crushing leaves and grasses under her hooves. She lifted her legs high and fast in her excitement; her eyes became great, liquid orbs of watery steel as she gave Thor the most loving of gazes.

"Really?" She asked, her whispered voice at odds with the energetic way she continued to piaffe in her spot, "You really want me in your family? Do you mean it?"

*“So what do you say? Would you like to consider yourself a member of The World’s Edge?”*

Bernadette's happiness could be held back no more; she suddenly lifted her forehooves in a rear, whinnying shrilly and happily, rejoicing the fact that her courage had paid off; she had garnered the steel to run, run far away and leave that musty, dry, lonely old place and that awful, awful man--

In the midst of her joyful trumpeting, Bernadette gave a short shriek of surprise and fear; she jumped from the ground, twisting in the air as though she had the spine of a feline; as her feet touched Earth again, she pranced away nervously from the nearest oak, whose branches hung heavily and which was cloaked thickly in shadow. Her chest was slightly heaving, her eyes wide and wild, colorless like bone in her startled frenzy as she scrutinized the shadows she had just left. Something was in there, for sure-- or maybe she had imagined it? Yes, yes, that had to be it-- she had just imagined it because she was thinking of--of-- well. She was thinking of that. Because there was no way that would be here to take away her happiness. Not this time. Not this time. She was a mare and she was free.

Not this time.

"Uhn...yes, Mr. Thor," Bernadette said in belated answer, breathless in her short flurry of bipolar excitement. She needed to calm herself now-- yes. There was no point in showing Thor how badly he was proven wrong; she was family material. She was a mare. Taking a slow, deep breath, Bernadette closed her eyes and allowed the tremors that ran through her limbs to still. When she looked back up at Thor, giving an apologizing sort of glance, her irises were dark gray again. "I'm...I'm sorry," she laughed nervously, the insides of her ears turning bright pink again, "I did NOT mean for that to happen. But yes, Mr. Thor. Yes, yes yes! I would love to call the Edge home!" The warmth and sincerity returned to her voice; she was once more giving Thor that watery gaze of gratitude. "I would love to join your family!"

(OOC: So so sorry about that! I didn't see that you had posted ^^; Anyways, ready to wrap this up? :3 )
~~~~~~~

"Hello!"
Goodbye!
Gettin' out of Dodge.