the Rift

Delirious Debts

Coris Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

[Please note Coris is wearing nothing but his leather horn guard at this moment!]

The red dust stirs like an old an ancient thing, loath to rise and quick to fall. It snakes around each hoofstep the stallion takes, the ground unusually dry in this time of year. The Dragon's Throat is always parched.

His steps are irregular and slow, suggesting an age that is dishonest to his birthdate. It is pride and honor that make him limp so, and the great festering wound of a bear attack to his left haunch. It would seem the cold of frostfall had helped keep the fever at bay and slowed the progression of the infection. Now however, the sun had lifted and the ground had thawed. On one goof Coris was thankful for the abundance of food, a lack of which had sent his muscles to waste and his gut to pinch while he holed himself away in the snows. With the arrival of birdsong also came the hope of herbs and medicinal flora, but the trip to the Deep Woods days before (it felt like months) hadn't given the tanner anything useful. More like than not he forgot what he was even supposed to be looking for. He'd have more luck eating something deadly than beneficial; that fear kept his muzzle at length from the strange and bizarre greenery.

He'd thought better of his talents though, hence his pride being a partial cause of this, so when given the option of respite by the black mare of the woods he'd refused. Not one to enjoy being in debt Coris felt himself above the assistance of another.

A pity he hadn't listened to his aches and pains more. He can do nothing but hear them now. The fever in his blood nearly sends it to boil under this afternoon sun and the heat from his festering gash is liable to scorch the earth should he pause long enough.

He will die in this blistering wasteland. Coris knows this with a grim certainty. No longer able to care about anything else, the skinner collapses. The red dirt swirls around him and settles like a fine crimson layer.

Above, the falcon screams, calling for anyone who may still be around to listen in this wasteland.

[Coris would appreciate healing services and acceptance into the Throat <3 in return he'd like to become your Forger and make you fancy things.]

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

onni. </style>
Distance feels further when you love with fervor 
and no second thoughts.  </style>

"Steady, sir," a gentle voice calls, hoping to break the delirium of fever in the eyes of this stranger. Perceptive and warm eyes find Coris, the painted mare rushing forward from where she stood, trying to catch the unicorn before he all but collapsed on the porch of Kri the Resolute. If her mother found a trespasser in her home, the pecky silver bay was likely not to take pity on the ill. If Onni accompanied him, however, he might be spared her hellfire. Aside from that, a medic's hand was obviously needed. The ataxic gait of the poor beast, stumbling like a drunkard, caught her attention first. The reek of rot and infection was next. There was no doubt about it - this stallion was ill.

Before the lady could gather enough speed to reach the unicorn's side, he had collapsed upon the desert floor. The painted mare slows her pace, knowing her rush would be wasted and might scare the poor stallion more than help now.

A pale face drops down toward the sand, hoping to fall within the glazed eyes of the strange stallion, an odd material capping his horn. Onni would have inspected it, but thought it rude at the moment. She would have to ask later about the contraption. Even if the stallion was unfriendly, he would owe her a favor for healing his broken body. Normally, the mare would not wish to collect, but this was a rare opportunity. Her blue eyes watch the creature with worry for a moment before speaking in a hopeful tone. "I will get you standing again, sir. Please be patient with me."

It is Lyhty who notices the screech of the falcon first, Onni's ears deaf to the world except the ragged breathing of the ill creature at her feet. Her mind cannot ignore the call of her small bird, his own red eyes upon the larger creature of prey. Glancing upward, the mare notes the bird casually, likely some sort of falcon. If she had to wager a guess, this bird was bonded to the stallion at her feet. "Lyhty, let our friend know his bonded is safe under my watch." The gentle healer smiles before making her way toward the rump of the grey, looking downward at the wound. It was old, several months at least. The tobiano wondered silently how long he had allowed such a wound to go untreated but thought that, also, would be rude of her at the moment.

"Find some sand sage leaves, Lyhty, and bring me a limb of it - whatever you can carry, and then some of the bark from the Mesquite trees," the healer directs the small bird. "Ask our friend if he's willing." The sage would fight the infection in a poultice of sorts. For now, the dire problem was that of the fever raging inside the skull of this stallion, causing glass to form over clear eyes and delude his visions of the world.

Closing her eyes, setting her voice to a content hum, Onni begins to focus her energy on the sun, calling down the healing light to burn the fever from the body of Coris whilst other aid was on its way. The small healer begins to glow with an ethereal light, before small threads of light snake out from her body and creep toward Coris, finding a point of entry from the wound on his leg and his nostrils. The probing light of the healer senses great infection, but the puss oozing quietly from the leg was a warning enough of that. The heat of the light was rivaled by that of the body, and Onni began to focus on using the light's fire to banish the fever from the stallion before the excessive heat fried the circuits of his brain.
""

[ ooc: I figured I would save Coris the lovely experience of meeting Kri until after he is standing again. xD
Any medics can feel free to come help Onni. :D ]

Unregistered

She is upon him before long. Before he has had time to wheeze his last breath, before he has had time to speed the last circuit of his blood, before he has had time to grow cold.

Even a corpse would grow cold in this land of the sun. Death has a way of sapping everything away into nothing.

The falcon above shouts down at the girl below, uncertain of her intentions and too lost to hysteria to be rational about anything. With a defensive screech the red-footed bird dives down, pulling up sharply before striking the painted horse. Golden eyes shimmer with madness as the raptor pulls up, turning swiftly to swoop down once more to harry this would be foe. It's not until the ball of feathers extends communication that the fury of the falcon simmers to some semblance of calm. Yet the bird will not depart to assist, too learned in the art of killing and not of healing and too distraught by the fading bond pulsing like a bloated slug in the core of his soul.

The protective companion alights to the ground beside Onni. His eyes are large, wrinkled with worry while his feathers are awry with fear. The loyalty of the bird would bring a fond smile to the stallion's face, that for so long felt the falcon might abandon him, especially during frostfall when not even the smallest of sensations were felt by another. The comradeship between them has certainly grown as the seasons wear on, though they are not as tightly wound as other pairs; they both reserve too much their previous antisocial natures to become that. Yet they are friends, allies, companions. In life or death they are linked, and that's what frightens the bird so. In some part he fears for his own demise come the fall of his partner, but more than that, he grieves for the possible ending of Coris, of them. It would not be the end of the bond that would kill Venati, it would be the shattering heartache of Coris' absence that would drive him to ultimately end his existence.

Venati's beak gaps wide, tongue a pink worm, as he murmurs constantly with his worry. Amber eyes swirl with mixed feelings as he shifts his gaze between the unicorn and the pegasus. She begins to glow like a mortal sun. The magic startles the bird as it extends from her to Coris, the light exceedingly bright and seeming to give off a heat. Feathers swim in dust as Venati is back in the sky, screaming down avian curses as the healer as she magicks some semblance of life back into the dying horse.

On the ground, eyelids begin to flicker and a heavy breathing steadies. Coris feels himself being tugged from the edges of his fate. Dutifully he shrugs the mortal coil back upon his shoulders.

[UM, SO THIS IS NOT MUCH TO GO OFF YET I AM SORRY. It felt unrealistic to be like omg Coris is awake and coherent now, considering his condition. But next post will be better ;-;]

Cirrus Posts: 233
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8 HP: 69 | Buff: SWIFT
Whit

We hear the call of the healer, and I smell the scent of blood that walks across our borders. I relay the sensation to my beloved, I watch her nose curl at the thought; she is but a herbivore, unused to killing and yet forced to do so when she was so desperate to find enough food to sate me, to secure the bond that we now share. It was stronger than ever before; we were ignorant to the numbness that plagued everyone who held a bond, for so new to the concept we were, we thought the process but a normal progression of events. But now I could share her thoughts, and they always trickled through my cranium as if they were my own, though I knew them to be hers, for her mental voice was as cherubic and sweet as her true voice, if not more musical, more decorated with tones, emotions and colours, and an array of things one could only describe as instincts. I allow amusement to leak through the bond at her reaction to the metallic twang of blood, though she barely feels it as her concentration pulls her into action. She is swift to trot forth, eventually unfolding her wings to take flight. I bark out from the ground, happy to enrol my lanky limbs in a speedy race across the hot desert sands to reunite with her once again at the place where the painted Onni stands over a fallen unicorn.

I crouch low, meaning to make myself as nonthreatening as possible, creeping forward to stand beside my beloved, who landed some strides from the gathering, her mouth agape as if ready to trap flies in its fleshy grasp, her eyes wide with wonder. A cloud lazily trails across her hide, wings are not yet completely folded as she scampers forward. Was she taking an interest in the arts of healing like her father so yearned for her to do? Or was she morbidly curious as to the goings on in this tragic affair? I duck lower to the ground as I follow her shuffling footsteps, wary of the winged avian's agitation in the skies above. I stand a little further back as she continues to creep forward, pulling her strong, lean bodice alongside the kind Illuminant's, absorbing the bloodshed, the butchery of his hide, the weakened condition of his body and mind. I hear the thought tumble through her brain, is he a warrior?, as she looks at the strange leather contraption upon his brow, and the deep claw marks that are filled with the light of healing as Onni puts herself to work. She realised soon that her mouth still hangs agape, and she shuts it as she silently, gently, subtly leans into Onni, offering hers and mine services to the cause that would become this unicorn's very life.

larfsalot.deviantart.com

as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

• please do not feel pressured into mirroring the length of any of my posts
    I write what I feel at the time
    and hope everyone else does the same c:

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
    Hidden Account
    Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
    Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

onni. </style>
    Distance feels further when you love with fervor 
    and no second thoughts.  </style>

The ferocity of the hawk is one that Onni watches with silent appreciation. The deep set love for the unicorn strewn across the floor of the red desert is one to be admired, but regardless, the healer does not flinch away from the swooping attacks of the small bird that do not touch her. He would do no harm to the painted girl who was coming to aid his beloved friend, and she was safe. Lythy speaking the tongue familiar to the larger predator of a bird, soothing the worries of the larger bird who stays close, worry in the strange avian face in thick creases. There was always a line of faces which stood behind Onni's patients, anxious and waiting for her art to take hold of their loved one, taking them from the clutches of death and restoring their former selves to a more functional sense of self.

The mare hums quietly to herself as the light unfolds from the sky, wrapping itself like a warm blanket around the body of Coris and banishing the fever from his skull, clearing the clouds, soothing the immediate threats of the infection while Lyhty was scouring the desert for necessary herbs. The bird soars in, a twig of sage leaves carried in his small mouth, deposited silently by the hooves of the healer while her blue eyes were kept shut, taking off once more for the bark of the trees she had requested. It is not until the footsteps of another ring in the mare's ears that her hum slows to a stop, one eye opened through the gentle light surrounding her and the grey unicorn, to view the odd little pair who approached. Cirrus, the daughter of Azzuen with the magical coat who had been present at Voltaic's deathbed, present to Onni's greatest failure. At least today, the healer would grant her young eyes witness to a miracle.

The miracle of saving a life from the throws of death. More powerful than the black abyss of death, at least for the moment, the compassion of the medic's heart and her determination to save this being.

The light begins to ebb from Coris's body, returning to the painted girl quietly, silently, as though she were the source for the power. Of course, Onni knew better that her divine power came from the heart of the Sun God, the great misunderstood being who reigned over their home. At the moment, the golden being also reigned over her heart, an innocent admiration for the surprisingly gentle and lonely soul taking hold in their meeting. Without her beloved mentor in this world, she would turn to another. Life was nothing but a series of lessons, and she had decided for the great deity of the Sun to be her next teacher, whether he pretended to be against it or not. "Cirrus," Onni says at the light dissipates, returning the crimson sand to their normal orange shade, "Will you help me mash these leaves and-Onni pauses just as Lyhty deposits the inner bark of a tree at her feet by the sage leaves, "this bark?" A gentle smile at the girl who seemed intrigued. It was better to learn from experience than anything else.

Taking to crushing the mess on a large stone by her feet, a green looking glue substance forms, Lyhty chirping happily on her shoulder and awaiting more instructions. "Find me some thin bark to clean the wound, Lyhty," she whispers over her shoulder at him before the songbird takes off to the sky again.

It is that moment that Onni notices the flickering of eyelids below at her feet. Her pale face is lowered to the ground, a patient ear tilted toward the muzzle of the stallion, listening to the quieted breathing in his lungs. Her light blue eyes look at those formerly glassy, sightless holes, warm and welcoming, but more importantly reassuring. "Welcome back, sir," she says sweetly. "Can you tell me your name?" A simple test of knowledge, but Onni would know relatively immediately if she had been too late to spare his brain ravaging from the fever if he could not produce his title. As Lythy hovers before her face, Onni lifts up to take the small, flat wooden piece and walks to the injured leg, pushing with undo force upon the wound, a creamy, green mixture spilling out from it and likely causing Coris a shock of pain. It mattered little if his fever was healed. The poultice could not be applied in a wound full of puss; it would never heal.
    ""

Unregistered

The world begins to seep back into the consciousness of the stallion, traveling like the slow creep of sunlight as it lifts to spill over the night-riddled land every dawn. As eyelids flutter light begins to dance along the amber iris of Coris, pupils dilating then contracting hastily.

A low groan of despair eases from the lungs of the ravaged unicorn body. The sound elicits a scream from Venati as the falcon hops closer to the felled beast which he has never seen lay before. That avian cry seems to register something within the skull of the tanner, for his eyes sharpen, amber spinning through the haze of grey that is death to find the steel body of the bird. Something like a smile breaks the cracked lips of the stallion, and all at once he feels relief flood his system like a drug; Venati's relief.

Another voice floats in the desert air - why is it so hot Coris wonders unhappily - and the sound is like a muffled droll trying to break through the din of his mind. The words eventually wiggle against the front of his skull, fuzzy, like caterpillars, but something he knows. He grabs at them hungrily, eager to understand his situation.

The lift in tone suggests a question. Exactly what Coris can't seem to remember, and he spends a moment puzzling over what it was she asked. It feels as if it bounces between both of his ears, and each time it strikes one it becomes more clear, more solid, more real. Your name?
    Name, name, name. He had a name, didn't he?

"C-c-c" he begins, his tongue feeling like an odd weight in his mouth, swollen with thirst and raw with infection. "Co-RIS!" As he finally got a grip on his name the sensation of a searing horn thrusting into the meat of his body cut his mild tones into a shrieking wail that began with the tail end of his name. Venati screamed in similar agony, taking to the skies in a flurry of hasty feathers, eyes sharp with worry and pain as he threw terrible insults down at Onni from above.

A tingling sensation crawled up the spine of the unicorn and washed his mind in a numbing effect. It made him shudder as he lay, extinguishing all previous urge he'd had to lift his head and try to rise. He remained content to keep his head pressed to the flat of the sand and the red brick, each heavy breath sending the dragon's dust to spin and stir by his nose - a great thing to see compared to the shallow wheezing just minutes before.

His body kicked, weakly, in response to the shearing of dead and rotted skin, but he had not the strength to pose much resistance. Dimly Coris' mind drifted with thoughts if he was being skinned alive. It would be a fitting end to one such as he.

He wished to return to sleep and his eyes grew heavy with the want, but Venati above shouted for his attention and he could only be so kind as to give the furious bird what it wanted.

Cirrus Posts: 233
    Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
    Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8 HP: 69 | Buff: SWIFT
    Whit

The young fae that was my beloved seemed surprised when she is addressed by the calm, beautiful, relaxed healer that was Onni. Her entire frame seems to wince, not in pain, but in a brief moment of shock, as if she was not expecting her offer of aid to actually be accepted. I tilt my handsome façade from my position behind her, wondering at why she should be surprised, did she truly think so little of herself, of her abilities? Instead of allowing the sense of fear to overwhelm our bond, I send torrents of trust, faith, relentless confidence in her back, flooding both herself and myself with the emotion, allowing her to focus on nothing else. I feel her surprise again, as she throws a glance over her slanted shoulder to meet my cerulean eyes with her own, and I smile back, my tongue lolling easily out of the side of my mouth.

The wretched bird above us continues its incessant squawking, and still I remain crouched, knowing that I would not be well received in the eyes of a worried companion fretting over her fallen bondmate - certainly I would probably be behaving the same if a similar fate befell my beloved, but I would never allow that to happen in the first place, anyway. Cirrus obediently gets to work, looking often to the older, wiser healer for guidance, reassurance that she was not pulverising the herbs in a way that would destroy their healing properties. Of course, she performs the task with perfection, co-ordinating her hooves against the stone with slowly improving strokes, nudging the mash towards Onni upon her completion. Her ears perk upwards as the painted mistress speaks then, though her words are not directed towards my little sky filly, rather, she addresses the stirring unconsciousness of the fallen with a firm yet soothing tone.

He coughs, splutters, struggles, but eventually, he spits out what could be a name. Coris? It is an unusual name, but then, I have not seen many unicorns, and none which encase their horn in a the skin of another animal. I wonder silently if he is strange to everyone, to just to me eyes, not that the opinion of a hellhound counts towards anything, except perhaps the thoughtstream of the one bonded with me. Twitching muscles tense across his thrashing body, it is good to see that the wounds which plague him do not affect the nerves, at least in the sense of severed nerves, that would result in no movement at all. The dark tail of my beloved is lifted and swung to her flank, and I pick up on the annoyed tension that is being generated within her, as the tedious task of healing proves to be almost as difficult as the task of defeating one's sparring partner. It is with a little bit of astonishment that I watch her next actions.

"Do shut up," her angelic voice had taken on a harsh tone, one that easily conveyed the limits of her patience, directed at the fussing, panicked form of the falcon, whose incessant racket was indeed irritating and counterproductive, at least in our eyes. "Uh, I mean.." Cirrus hesitates then, as she realises what she just said in front of the healer, a sheepish look upon her façade. It was fortunate that the unicorn seemed to be coming to, that the situation was seemingly on the improve, conditions less critical. "Just calm down," her attempt at trying to sound reassuring would be amusing in hindsight, I am sure, as it wavers uncertainly between sounding comforting and sounding like a command given by someone twice her rank. "I am Cirrus, sir. What is your bird's name?" Once again her voice attempts kindness, but probably sounds far too harsh and demanding for a healer's soothing tones.

At least she is trying, right?

larfsalot.deviantart.com

as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

• please do not feel pressured into mirroring the length of any of my posts
    I write what I feel at the time
    and hope everyone else does the same c: