the Rift

Something from the other side [Psyche/Open]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

Three griffons, one old, grey and wizened and the other two much younger were stuck in an argument. In a twitter of hushed, harshly whispered words, the trio landed in a tree near the lake, the elder one grunting in irritation and effectively ending all the conversation. Silver lion's paws balanced on a branch while black talons curled around tightly, blue eagle's eyes glaring at the other two. Tightly, he moved his dark grey and silver wings at his sides, ruffling his feathers.

"Obviously, we cannot keep the shard; it has brought is nothing but ill fortune!" The grey snapped, staring sternly at his friends.

A chestnut colored one with deep brown eyes sighed and looked at the glowing shard of glass he kept wrapped tightly in cloth. "We do not know what it is! What if this holds something powerful, what if - "

The third, a soft, pale palomino shade sighed, shaking her beaked head, emerald eyes gentle. "No, he is right. We have lost friends, loved ones, even our nest. All because of that... thing," she murmured, eyeing the glass shard as if it held all the evil of the world inside.

The silver one nodded in agreement. "We should give it someone who knows how to wield such power. Perhaps then, we will gain their favor."

The chestnut sighed, obviously out numbered, and he stared into the cave-ridden mountain side. "I stand alone then. "

To you, the onlooker, you cannot hear the words they speak, for they talk in a language entirely of their making. Only a bond allows speech between such mythical beings. However, there is one in the ranks, a unique one, who has been temporarily gifted with the ability to commune with these Griffons. Psyche, listen to their words.

regularjane | Quote: Thomas Moore

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil

The incessant internal grumbling had been plaguing her for days now, and it made her feel quite mad.

Of course, she was quite mad, as many would willingly attest. But for whatever reason, on this day, she found that she was more inclined to agree with them than she might normally be. It was not that she heard literal voices, you see, but rather that her own thoughts had begun hosting shouting matches within the rather limited confines of her mind.

It was quite loud, and she had quite a headache.

She was wandering by the lake that morning, pistons in the gentle blur of a trot, avoiding the muck that tended to linger at the edges of the water and instead choosing the higher ground. It was a cleaner route, to be sure, though the shadow-mare had never particularly cared about cleanliness. Perhaps there was something about leadership that drew her to have pride in her admittedly plain appearance. It would be an odd thing, that, seeing as her childhood had long since deprived her of that particular emotion. As she wandered, her mind roved over this and that: reports of newcomers, flocking to the Basin by day or night, far too many to count; irritation that those held prisoner were not yet returned to her; but no, surely they would not be so important, not when their ranks were growing, not when they would be ripe to take over...

"Obviously, we cannot keep the shard; it has brought us nothing but ill fortune!"

Well, that was not in her mind, now, was it?

It was a hushed voice that had spoken from above, and so above she looked. There were three of them perched, and at first glance she thought that three filthy skyrats had made themselves at home in her tree. A second look wiped the scowl from her maw, replacing anger with her usual emotionless facade. If anything, there was a warmth in her orbs and a devious smile on her lips, though any emotions the trio perceived would be, in truth, false. Perhaps they, as griffons, would see through her illusion. After all, she had never seen griffons before.

"We do not know what it is!" a chestnut-colored male snapped, tossing a nervous look to an object wrapped in cloth. "What if this holds something powerful, what if -"

A palomino female cut him off. "No, he is right," she said, her voice gentle but firm. "We have lost friends, loved ones, even our nest. All because of that... thing." She, too, looked at the cloth with disgust and fear. The jackal's interest was piqued.

"We should give it someone who knows how to wield such power. Perhaps then, we will gain their favor."

"I stand alone then."

An odd exchange it was, but it also seemed an opportunity to the pitch fae standing below. Craning her neck, eyeing the creatures warily, she voiced a thought of her own. "Well, hello, my friends," her lyrics sang out amiably. "If you don't mind my asking, what do you have, there?" Perhaps she ought to have simply listened; but then, the Dark Empress has never been a good listener.

[W/C | xxx]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Rapha Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

B A C C H U S

The dog heels at the foot of his family, even if he does not love this mother the way he loved her daughter. So Rapha comes and sticks close to the unicorn's hocks, quiet as always, and also as usual, fretting about where his lovely master, his elegant mistress Snö, has gone. He knows that he should be doing his quest for the Moon God right now- to challenge another for the possession of such a thing called an "amulet", but he has not gathered his courage to do so, to attack another- for who else would he challenge but a unicorn? He is forbidden from leaving the premises of the Plague, and so he remains silent and ever so slightly sullen, although one could not tell.

So on he trotted, stride quick and short as always, trying his best to keep up with the larger mare's steps, wondering if she was really annoyed with him, or if she didn't want him here at all, and if so, why hadn't she just sent him away and be done with it? He knew, of course, his lady was Snö (not this puffed-up black mare, not that he would ever say that) and his adorations lay for Snö, not this mare who seemed perpetually angry-faced and irritable, who was also leader of this land (he was serving a leader!)

Unlike Psyche, he did prefer to remain out of the mud. It was sticky, gooey, hock-gluing and generally yucky. One would often forget this from his silence and excellent servitude, but this stallion was only two. But he kept at her feet and kept pace, a stride or two behind her. When she stopped, when her cold voice spoke, he stopped as well, and examined the gryphons with wide eyes. Who- what? Were they?

""

i'm a COWARD, a LIAR, and totally, utterly pathetic- I ADMIT IT

Leyra Posts: 88
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 3 years
Dark
Leyra heard screeches, and at first she thought it had been a few birds, but upon further inspection she saw Griffons. As her blue rain body made its way across the ape, she was focused on seeing the Griffons for herself. When she had arrived at the scene with her daughter she saw Psyche and another horse already there. With interest and curiosity controlling her she trotted closer. Leyra failed to understand what the Griffons were screeching at each other about, but their tones were somewhat understandable. There was an elderly grey Griffin, clearly wiser than the others. A palomino female wasn't too happy, and was constantly glancing at a piece of cloth. A chestnut Griffin seemed saddened, maybe by what the others thought. When Psyche spoke to them Leyra couldn't help but raise a non- existent brow. How is she able to understand their language? Leyra thought to herself, confused at her leader's newly gained skill. Leyra flicked her blue eyes towards her daughter, wondering what she thought.

The roan babe's small mind couldn't hold that much information. And when she failed to understand the bird-creature's language her mind seemed to blow. When the dark mare spoke she couldn't understand how the mare knew what the bird-creatures were saying. When the filly saw what the creatures kept glancing at she walked up to them, speaking with confidence and kindness."Ma' am, May you please tell them that what ever that cloth is, that I may see what it holds?" The young babe' s words rang out into the air, directed at the black mare. She was curious to see what the cloth held, and wasn't afraid to ask to see. With her green eyes set on the creatures she wondered what they were. Feathered wings of great size spread out from their cat-like bodies. They had bird legs instead of cat legs, and their faces were all the more interesting. The small filly tried her best to understand their words but failed miserably. They spoke a different tongue, and the filly wanted to know it. But her thoughts were interrupted when she realized one of the horses there was not a unicorn. It in fact was an equine, and the young babe glared, wondering what an equine was doing in her home. When she finally decided he wasn't a threat she turned to the dark mare, wondering if she would translate for the others.
I tear my heart open, I sew myself shut
My weakness is that I care too much,
And my scars remind us the past is real
I tear my heart open, just to feel

[Image: 2jewqqh.jpg]

Helovian Ancient

The chestnut griffon watched as a strange mare approached. She was a unicorn, with an odd horn and a rather dirty pelt. She asked what they had, and he instinctively curled one of his taloned feet around the shard wrapped in cloth, yellow eyes glinting in warning. He clacked his beak and settled in a defensive pose on the tree.

With a heavy sigh, the grey griffon watched the mare who could oddly speak their language. This was a sign, he knew. The black mare was supposed to commune with them today and receive the shard which had brought them so much misfortune. Blue eyes looked down at the strange mare and studied her carefully.

"Tell me," he asked began, "is this your herd of unicorns?" The griffons were naturally partial to the horned creatures, and he would be remiss in his duties of his species to give the shard to just anyone. "We have this troublesome shard of... well, I do not know what it is, but it has brought us nothing but trouble. Surely, a unicorn such as yourself, would be able to harness the power?"

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

The enslaved hornless had been following her around like a lost puppy since her daughter had rather unceremoniously disappeared. At first, it had been an inconvenience; then, it had become a mild irritation, like a fly that her swishing tail simply would not deter. Slowly, though, she had come to tolerate his presence, and though she still did not find him useful in any way whatsoever, she found it quite easy to ignore him. Even now he was to her side and back. She assumed that he would be standing in silence, his eyes cast downwards, seemingly his automatically assumed position. She did not look back at him, and so she did not see him survey the griffons with curiosity. But then, would she have cared even if she had seen?

She was dimly aware of the newest mare and her young filly arriving; the mare she could do without, having no use for a dim-witted, equality-loving fool. The filly, though... she was interesting. She was proud of her race, and in the Lady's experience, pride bred racism. And that she could use. Still, her emotionless amber gaze never ranged from the trio in her tree, even as the youngling piped up in that annoyingly innocent way that she had. Overeager, the shadow-mare thought. She needs to learn her place. Even so, she was more interested in shaping the flicka for Plague life, not alienating her, and so she remained silent.

Almost. "Young Frost Fyre, if I deem it fitting for young eyes, I would be most happy to show you, provided that our guests deem it fitting for me to see." Again her eyes roved over them; the chestnut, the grey, the palomino. How they remained perched so effortlessly, she did not understand; but then, she did not take much time to understand the winged. Though she might ordinarily have ordered them away, she had to admit, she was curious to see what they held with such fear. Curiosity killed the cat, or so they say - but she didn't worry about her death. Who would have the ability to kill a Dark Empress, after all?

"Tell me, is this your herd of unicorns?" the grey asked. "Indeed it is, my dear," she responded with a cool smile. "We have this troublesome shard of... well, I do not know what it is, but it has brought us nothing but trouble. Surely, a unicorn such as yourself, would be able to harness the power?" She pondered this, more curious now than ever. A dark power, unknown to those who might wield it, being offered to arguably the most powerful unicorn in Helovia? How in the world could she turn that down?

She did not stop to think about what might occur if she proved incapable of harnessing the energy of the shard; she though only of the abilities she might gain, the prestige she might be granted. Oh, what she could do! Her only magic lay in her ability to shapeshift, but, truly, what could she do as a jackal that she could not do as a unicorn, the supreme species? It had been lovely, at first, but it had lost its charm. This was a new toy, and one that she was most eager to try out. "Power was made for me, darling," she cooed. "Unicorns are particularly adept at controlling it, and as I lead the unicorns, well..." she laughed, a poisonous, pealing sound. "Let me see this shard, if you would be so kind."

[W/C | xxx]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Rapha Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

B A C C H U S

Another girl comes- small, delicate, young. Like Master. But Master is not delicate, no, she's strong and clever and pretty and royal-blooded. He cautiously lifted his head, a feeling of relief in his heart as Psyche did not turn to snap at him- and again his eyes widened in surprise. They were a smooth blend of lion and bird, hooked beak and hard eyes, twitching tails and rustling wings.

He doesn't understand, at all, what the gryphons are saying, and he wonders if it is maybe a Lady Psyche thing, to be able to understand all animals. He wouldn't be surprised- she is a magnificent unicorn after all, she must know many secrets and deceiving ways unknown to the relatively powerless horses and pegasi. Pegasi can fly, but nobody cares about them. They do have pretty feathers though... is that why Psyche wears them in her hair? Or maybe it's because she plucked them from her enemies. That familiar feeling of panic threatens to engulf him, before he calms himself. She would have hurt him much earlier if she wanted to.

They seem to be cawing something to Psyche, and he can understand when she speaks. Something about power and shards. Shards? Are those gems? Or pieces of something? What do the gryphons mean? Maybe it is something really simple he doesn't get. Then again, he's a horse. Maybe it is some kind of ritual unicorns go through, or unicorn leaders. Is it a gift from a god? What is this shard?

""

i'm a COWARD, a LIAR, and totally, utterly pathetic- I ADMIT IT

Frost Fyre Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Altair :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast prissy
[[I'm gonna say that Leyra left but Frost Fyre stayed]]

I stared at the equine, my small ears flicked back. I thought we were an all unicorn herd? I glared at him, my small green pools focused only on him. My blue roan mother brushed her velvety muzzle against my withers before leaving the scene, clearly uninterested now. My cloven hooves took me closer to Psyche, and I glanced up, admiring the dark mare. She was strong, brave, beautiful, a great leader. Everything I wanted to be.

I put my focus towards the bird creatures. I squinted, peering at the neatly folded cloth. There it held the so called 'shard' that these bird-things so dearly feared. I felt a longing feeling tugging at me, and I wanted it. This nagging, it continued. My heart and my mind seemed to reach out for the shard, longing to grasp it within my sight. If these bird creatures are so eager to get this 'shard' off their hands, why don't they get rid of it instead of passing it on to another animal? I'm very confused for a moment, before pushing the thoughts to the back of my head. Although I didn't understand the bird creatures I could tell they were at least trying to give some one this shard thing.

If Psyche was to receive it I would just ask her to see it. But if they allowed some one else to see it, well, there's no way I'll be able to see it then.

I grunt, trotting forward till I was practically standing under the tree, glancing upwards, trying to get a better look at the cloth or a better look at the bird things. There was a chestnut, a palomino, and a gray bird like thing. I was finally able to see the size of the cloth, and it didn't look to big, but it looked special. If these bird things were to give it to some one, what would this shard do to them? I shrug, continuing to look up at the birds. Then I glance back at Psyche. "What are they saying? I ask curiously, wishing for Psyche to translate the screeches and caws of the bird things.

Helovian Ancient

The older griffon was absolutely convinced, especially since the equine in the group remained so silent. Perhaps the hornless one was a dutiful and loyal servant to the herd. Though not entirely a proponent for slavery, the griffons understood how the powerful often needed loyal assistants. Either way, they needed to pawn off the shard to someone else because out of their flock, only the three remained. Blue eyes stared hard into Psyche's amber orbs before extending a clawed hand to his friend.

"I believe it safe to hand her the shard now, Dagr," the grey said, looking at his chestnut friend.

The chestnut colored griffon narrowed his gaze slightly before opening his wings and gliding down to a rock that put the feathered lion at about chest height to the black mare. With hard, brown eyes, he looked up at her and cautiously opened his talons. Wrapped in a dirty, cloth exterior was a strange, pulsing shard of glass or stone. Carefully, with delicate dexterity, the creature unwrapped the shard, revealing it fully.

Shaped like a dagger, the piece of stone was jagged on the edges and seemed to hold some sort of energy inside. The energy was slightly purple in color, but it was difficult to look at for long periods of time without feeling like a pressure in your head would break your skull. With a snort, the chestnut griffon looked at the shard and flew up to join his friends. Suddenly, he seemed to change; his personality shifted to more friendly, and he urged the flock to go.

The trio nodded to Psyche and the others before flying away.

[OOC: Congratulations, Psyche. You have a shard of stone containing unknown magic. When you want to redeem your magic, just have Psyche break the shard and tell an admin in the Updates board what you want.]

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

"What are they saying?" The question comes from the youngling, and the shadow-mare ignores it, her focus entirely on the winged trio above. Perhaps she will deign to answer little Frost Fyre's questions - after the griffons are gone. For now, they are addressing her, and she has eyes only for them. The chestnut glides slowly to the ground, pausing before her, peering at her with emotionless orbs. She meets his gaze squarely, never backing down. He opens his talons, shifting the cloth so that a shard is revealed. It is beautiful, all black stone and jagged edges and pulsing violet energy. It seemed to shift, victim to its own form of chaos. She watches it, feeling a pressure build in her mind, a wave of dizziness washing over her. She does not show it, simply lifts her gaze from the shard in time to see the griffons fleeing.

She does not call her thanks, merely regards the shard again. She wonders what will happen if she breaks it. Remembering her company, she decides that she will find out later. "Well, youngling, you wanted to see what it was," she told the filly. "Here you are. It is a shard of immense power, suited only for the greatest of the unicorns. Take care not to watch it too long," she warned. "I fear its power is too great for you as yet." She speaks not unkindly, allowing the filly to observe the shard if she so wishes. Then, she carefully gathers the cloth in her teeth, forming a makeshift sling, and goes off to study it in private.

[OOC | Psyche leaves. <3 Thank you, RE!]

[W/C | xxx]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.