the Rift

I Wonder If The Things I Did Were Just To Be Different [Romani]

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

I WILL LIVE FOR YOU

He had to get away, if only for a little while, from the Edge. It was obvious that he was not well liked, save for the great Weyrleader, although could he really blame anyone? He had taken their leader away, taken her to the most dangerous territory throughout all of Helovia, and had put her in grave danger. Even now the grullo was surprised that not a single soul had attempted to harm the ebony leader, the very one who had claimed the unicorns' old home, the one they had always wanted to get their grimy little hands on. But none had come.

Xanthos would have to work hard to gain the trust of those residing within the Edge, no doubtedly harder than anyone else had been forced to do. He was up to the challenge, however, for all he wanted, was a place to finally call home.

Today's outting had been to simply get away from the pressures of what had been going on, and he could only hope that it wouldn't be looked upon as a suspicious act. Keeping himself at a lengthy, steady trot, the stallion welcomed the feel of the tall grasses brushing and tickling against his striped legs. It was a pleasant change from the cold, bitter snow he had found himself upon for nearly the past two seasons. Here, he could feel the warmth of Birdsong, and his ever thick coat had begun to shed quickly. Everything was a simple pleasure, something he had once taken for granted before dooming himself to the Steppe. Oh, how we wished he could go back and change that fateful decision.

Coming upon a towering red oak, the grullo came to a halt, allowing the shade to engulf him. Looking out across the expanse of land, Xanthos spotted the gentle, winding stream that passed through the meadow. The sound of it was distant and all too calming, and soon, the grullo found himself in a lax stance, a hind leg cocked and supporting the majority of his weight. A pesky bout of flies had made themselves quite at home on his flank, but they were evicted rather quickly by a snap of his tail.

It was simply a day to try and relax, and allow the stresses that had become his life to disappear. He cared not if he remained unbothered and in silence, listening to the rhthymic churn of water in the distance, or the sing-song chirps of birds up in the trees above. So long as Psyche's black form didn't come racing across the meadow, he was happy.

BEFORE I DIE

Credits

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

Already two individuals were enjoying the peacefulness that came with being in the Thistle Meadow, spending some much needed time away from the herd. The Haflinger mare grazed in a content form of silence next to the river, dark lips brushing against the sweet grass before pulling the shoots free with her teeth. While her head was lowered and she seemed lost in thoughts, her mind was constantly keeping track of the young tigress that had accompanied her.

While still somewhat unsure of a lot of things, especially in new areas, Kasai had grown some independence since bonding with Romani. Upon arriving in the Thistle Meadow, the striped cub had refrained from leaving Romani’s side, not until she was absolutely certain that nothing would harm her in this new, strange land. Only then did she dare to venture off on her own, the feline’s tiny, pink nose twitching as she explored the land and took in the new scents around her. That was at least half an hour ago, and now, Kasai was completely at-ease in the Meadow.

Romani, herself, simply wanted to enjoy the day of leisure, especially with the weather in such good standing. The haunting encounter with Abdullah, the mare of the Foothills, had bothered her far greater than the palomino cared to admit. The grey Arabian had been so sure that she knew Romani, but for the life of her, the Foothills warrior had been unable to remember a time when the two had previously crossed paths. After admitting how she didn’t know who Abdullah was, the positively crestfallen expression that crossed the Arabian’s face had, well… It had hurt, somewhere deep inside Romani’s chest, and even now, that pain didn’t recede.

So lost in her thoughts as she was, Romani was unaware when little Kasai slipped further from her side, a tasty grasshopper catching the cub’s attention. Kasai was known for becoming distracted easily, and she had just been chewing on a pleasant blade of grass when the insect had fluttered by, landing innocently in the grass only two tail-widths from her tiny body. Head snapping up, blue eyes locked on to the grasshopper, whiskers twitched as she tried to understand just what she was looking at. Immediately her spotted ears flattened against her skull, striped tail flicking left and right, and the cub hunkered down, fully intending on catching the grasshopper. Perhaps, if successful, she could show Romani what she had caught?

Completely eager to catch the insect, Kasai pounced, only for the grasshopper to flutter out of her paw’s reach in the last second. It fluttered further from the river, landing only a few paces away, and with a twitching tail the young tigress gave chase, giving way to a cycle that was not in the cub’s favor. Every time she grew close enough to make a pounce, the grasshopper would evade her, wings spreading from its sectioned body and taking to the air for freedom. So engrossed in catching the green creature as she was, Kasai was oblivious to how far she had wandered from Romani, and that she had ventured into the sights of a different equine entirely.

With one final pounce, the grasshopper fluttered away, landing in the safety of a nearby red oak tree. Knowing that it was far out of reach, the tigress gave a small huff of indignation before her blue orbs landed upon the form of the unicorn resting beneath it, halfway hidden by the shade. Trepidation immediately filled the cub, and she opened her mouth, a pitiful hiss escaping her and ears flattening against her skull. The terror that she felt upon spotting the Unicorn stallion snapped through the internal bond shared with Romani, and from where she was grazing, the Haflinger’s head shot up in alarm.

Nostrils flaring, the mare stamped a hoof, crisp azure eyes searching frantically for her wayward companion. “Kasai!” She cried, concern causing her to act, compact body trotting quickly through the fields. It was after a moment that she spotted the cub, and the stallion that rested beneath the massive red oak. Narrowing her eyes, Romani tossed her head, a threatening whinny escaping the deep bowels of her girth. It was a challenge, a declaration; hurt my cub, I hurt you. “Kasai, come here!” The tigress immediately complied, spinning around and scampering back towards the Haflinger and taking shelter behind the mare’s compact frame. Romani waited then, narrowed eyes falling upon the grullo stallion, waiting for him to speak.

[OOC: … Xan, Rome loves you. She does. XD Somewhere in there…]

The true Soldier fights not because
He hates what is in front of him,
But because he loves what is behind him.

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Outcast

I WILL LIVE FOR YOU

The grullo had almost slipped off into a blissful, well-earned sleep, when he heard the grasses rustling not far from him. Eyelids snapped open to reveal golden eyes, which searched hard for the culprit before he spotted it. There had been a brief worry that it was some unnatrual being come to get him, or maybe even one of the Basin, but no... It was a mere tiger cub, who hissed pitifully at him and looked rather terrified. Although he had done nothing, the stallion dropped his head so as not to appear so intimidating, and was about to speak up when he heard a startlingly familiar voice cut through the air.

... Romani?

Just as the thought fluttered through his mind, he saw the golden form explode from over the gentle rolling hills. It seemed to happen in slow motion as she came barreling towards him, her pale locks streaming behind her as she moved across the meadow at a hefty pace. A great happiness welled within Xanthos at that moment, and just as he lifted his head high to call to her, she gave a call of her own. Though instead of one full of delight and warmth, as they had always been before, this one was nothing but a warning, a shrill call that dared him to try something.

Any shred of hope that she had been simply messing with him vanished quickly, for the scrutinizing way she looked upon him was unwaivering. Full of confusion, Xanthos dared to take a step closer, dropping his head even with his back. There was something gravely the matter. "Romani..." He spoke up, his eyes softer than they might have ever been before, "You're just messing with me, right?" He asked, a soft, uncomfortable chuckle leaving his throat as he asked the question.

BEFORE I DIE

Credits

Romani

Romani was fully prepared to attack in a moment’s notice. Her ears swiveled back and flattened against her cranium, azure eyes locked on the horned stallion before her, eyeing him with pure suspicion. At first there was no missing the look of elation that seemed to cross his rather handsome face. Why, though? She didn’t know him, to her knowledge, and there was no reason for him to look so pleased, unless he got his jollies by frightening small cubs. The expression, however, sloughed off the grullo’s face like falling rain, and he looked truly concerned.

Still, she kept herself poised, stamping a hoof in impatience, strands of creamy tail billowing in the air as she gave it a strong flick. It was only when he spoke her name, a barely audible whisper, that her anger began to reside, falling away to the growing confusion that had become her life. ’He knows my name… How? How does he know my name?’ This moment in time took her back to another, in the Foothills, when she had encountered the dappled mare, Abdullah, who had also known her. What was going on?

The mare’s red ears slowly lifted, cocking slightly in curiosity. Her expression shifted as well, losing the harsh, challenging features of a warrior and instead giving way to a look of wary interest. Behind her, Kasai still waited, hunkered low to the earth. The cub could feel Romani’s confusion, and occasionally glanced to the palomino, then resumed her vigil on the grullo Unicorn.

“How do you know me?” She asked out at last, desperate for answers, “How do you know my name?” Did everyone know her in Helovia? What had happened, and why couldn’t she remember? “You aren’t the first, stallion, to call me by my name while I don’t know yours… Are you in league with Abdullah, of the Foothills?” Yet, even as she spoke, the Haflinger didn’t know what to think. The stallion’s scent registered nothing in her mind, nor did his soft voice or his handsome looks. His slit, golden eyes were a sight to behold, but for Romani… Nothing made sense. Why was he looking at her like she had just crushed his hopes, and dreams?

Giving a harsh shake of her head, she refocused on the point at hand. “Tell me.”

Outcast

I WILL LIVE FOR YOU

Ever so slowly, the harsh creases of the palomino's face disappeared, giving way to a look more of concern and confusion like his own. There was no doubt that the expression was true and not faked, for it would be impossible to acheive at this level.

As Romani began to speak, asking how he knew of her, the grullo could almost feel the very heart beating in his chest crumble and break into a thousand tiny pieces. How could this be happening? She had been a driving force in nearly all of the decisions he made concerning the Basin, and if it had not been for the golden palomino, he wasn't sure where he would be today. "You really don't remember?" He spoke up, the true emotion of which he felt welled up in those four little words, voice cracking ever so slightly. Had Romani been attacked, perhaps hit on the head and forgotten him? It was doubtful that the Plague had anything to do with this; he had only just left, and Romani was stronger than to listen to anything they told her.

She mentioned someone named Abdullah, but the name was foreign to him. He had never ventured to the Foothills, and his contacts outside of the Basin had been quite limited until now. With a shake of his head, Xanthos let out a heavy sigh and dropped his head, yellow eyes thick with sorrow. "I have never heard of her, I'm sorry," he spoke with words soft. The more he thought of what was happening, the more the grullo wondered, if by mentioning some things... She might remember?

"My name is Xanthos," he spoke up only a second later, a ripple of hope flooding his chest, "Can you recall?"

BEFORE I DIE

Credits

Romani

This was becoming all too much. Resisting the urge to stamp a hoof in mild frustration, Romani eyed the stranger warily, dark lips turned downwards in a frown. Her gaze, although careful and calculating of the stallion’s true intentions, swept over his ever changing facial expressions. She could easily see the pain, the uncertainty, the fear that marred his rather handsome face… If he was an actor, he was remarkably skilled. Sucking in a deep breath through flared nostrils, the Haflinger mare finally glanced away, pondering what she had gotten herself into.

“No… I really don’t remember you, I’m sorry.” If he was speaking the truth of it all, then why couldn’t she remember? What had happened to her that she had forgotten this Unicorn with the handsome yellow eyes? Had she gotten into a fight? No, she hadn’t… Her body didn’t ache, nor did she sport any wounds. Something else had happened to cause her to forget, something that she couldn’t remember, and it was all so irritating.

He spoke again, the grullo, and introduced himself as Xanthos. An ear tilted back slightly, trying to recall the name, expecting to feel some strange emotion of elation, of familiarity upon hearing the two-syllable word… Yet once more, Romani felt only the bleak, dark emptiness that was her memory. Lowering her head, azure eyes suddenly sad, the mare gave a slight shake of her head, creamy forelock swaying due to the action. “I’m sorry… I just, I can’t remember who you are. Do…” And here, she paused, swallowing thickly. “How do we know each other? Have we been friends for a long time?”

It was clear to her now that Xanthos, for that was his name, wasn’t joking with her or simply teasing her. He was genuinely concerned for her well-being, and somewhere along the line, in their past, they had crossed paths before. Whatever had become of that fateful meeting, Romani couldn’t remember, but perhaps the grullo would be so kind as to explain. Feeling the palomino’s concern, little Kasai finally ventured out from her hiding place behind stocky legs, small head peaking out with curiosity shining in her blue eyes. So, this stranger wasn’t a threat, then? The cub let out a reassuring purr and pressed her furry face against the thick feathering of Romani’s rear, right leg, eyes still trained on the Unicorn.

Outcast

I WILL LIVE FOR YOU

The look of frustration that crossed Romani's face, even in such minuity, didn't escape the grullo's eye. She was upset, clearly confused by all of this, and for a few long seconds, the two of them seemed to just stand and try to read the other's thoughts and feelings. He was confused, a tinge angry, and lost; but most of all, he was irrevocably heartbroken.

Her words, so easily spoken, only seemed to make it worse. Xanthos knew now that Romani wasn't lying, but if that was the case, then what had happened? Several beings of Helovia were blessed with magical abilities... Had one of them used their powers on her? It seemed unlikely that she would have gotten into any sort of fight, for her golden pelt looked just as spotless as it had before. Even at the mention of his own name, Romani had somewhat of a vacant look in her eye, as if trying to conjure up some great, long lost memory from times past. But then, her eyes looked just as sad as his, and she denied him knowledge again.

Drawing in a deep, admittedly shaky breath, the grullo took a moment to gather himself up before he even attempted to answer the Haflinger's question. Where would he even start? Would he go into every detail? If she couldn't even remember his name, he doubted anything would help her now, but he sure as heck would try. "We met here, actually," he said, the meekest of smiles pulling at his lips and then, just as quickly as it had appeared, it fell again. "We talked for some time, then had a race to the ocean... But a Unicorn, her name was Elizabeth, came and broke us up. Do you remember that?" He asked, a sliver of hope shimmering in his golden eyes. Oh, how he wished this was a dream, and he would wake up now.

"It was only Frostfall when we met, but we've shared many words. Romani..." He trailed off into a pause, meeting those vidid blue eyes of hers for a moment before he continued, wondering if he really should at all or not. He might regret it later, but if the palomino would never remember him from times past, then what was the point in holding his silence forever? Taking a deep breath, he held her gaze, his voice perhaps a bit smaller than he would have liked. "I... I loved you."

BEFORE I DIE

Credits

Romani

The Haflinger mare stood in silence, waiting for him to speak. The emotions that rolled through his handsome golden eyes were somewhat startling; fear, anger, and the agony of heartache. It was a strange expression to see, knowing that it was regarding her… How close had she and this grullo been? There was no doubt in her mind that he was lying; the words he spoke to her were far too heartfelt, and the turmoil in his gaze couldn’t be overlooked. The pure depth of emotions in which he stared at her with caused her to inhale sharply, a sharp sting rising in her breast. It felt like… Guilt, maybe? Like she had done something wrong?

Xanthos went on to retell how they had met, a grimace of a heartbroken smile crossing his dark lips before dropping just as quickly as it had come. They had crossed paths in this very place, the Thistle Meadow, back in Frostfall when the snows had covered the land… Perhaps that was what had brought her here out of the blue? The subconscious pull of meeting a close friend and ally beckoning her troubled mind to somewhere associated with pleasant memories? It was hard to say, beings as she couldn’t remember who Xanthos was… Snapping her mind clear of the troubling thoughts, Romani’s azure eyes refocused back on the stallion. Suddenly, however, one thing struck out at her.

“You said Elizabeth?” Romani asked, genuinely intrigued, yet her tone held a dangerous underlay. Oh, she remembered that Unicorn mare, the bitch she had encountered along the white beach while at the Endless Blue… But, how had Xanthos known? They had met here, and then raced to the ocean, where they encountered Elizabeth? How was it that she remembered the silvered mare, but couldn’t remember the gentle giant standing not five feet from her person? Regardless, it was all growing so frustrating. “I remember her… We met on the beach, and she threatened my very life if I didn’t leave. Claimed that I was a ‘lesser’, the racist creature.” With a shake of her head and a furious snort by just thinking about it, Romani sucked in a deep breath, letting it out just as slowly to keep her composure.

Despite the curiosity that erupted when Xanthos said he knew Elizabeth, but it was by far the last words that spilled from the stallion’s lips that made her freeze, eyes widening. He…. He loved her? Romani was speechless. How… Why? “I…” The words froze in her throat, choking her, and her mouth opened and closed for a moment before her jaws snapped shut once more, dark lips forming a thin line. He loved her… Xanthos, this handsome, gentle Unicorn had loved her, and she only repaid him with forgetting who he was? Now, however, it all made sense as to why he seemed so heartbroken. More questions began to flood her stunned mind. Had she loved him in return?

“Xanthos,” she whispered, still trying to overcome her shocked stupor, “I… I can’t remember. Did… Did I love you?” Had they exchanged vows of devotion? Sorrow radiated from her heart, so profound that it nearly stole her breath and caused her eyes to water, but not once did her eyes tear away from the grullo’s golden, slitted orbs. “I’m so sorry… So, so sorry.”

Outcast

I WILL LIVE FOR YOU

Xanthos was speechless. How could she remember the hellion Elizabeth, but not him? He had been the one at Romani's side that day at the beach, the one to step in front of the deadly horn that had threatened to plunge deep within Romani's chest. He'd done his best to keep from uttering her name to anyone within the Basin, keeping any and all thoughts crammed inside the mess that was his head. The grullo was admittedly surprised that the Plague had not set out to try and harm the palomino, but he wasn't complaining, even if she couldn't recall his name at the moment. At least he could still remember.

There was a brief moment where nothing but silence hung in the air between them. Not even the birds sang their happy little songs, nor did the grasshoppers go buzzing past as they made their way to a new blade of grass in the distance. Even the little white tigress next to Romani had quieted with her curios noises, and for a split second, he wondered if the cub could understand what was going on.

The grullo's heart was a heavy stone in his chest, bearing a great weight upon the legs that held him up. With each silent second that passed, he felt his connection with Romani growing further and further away, not that there was one there anymore anyways. Upon his confession, she had looked beyond shocked, undoubtedly forming a thousand questions within her mind. He wanted to say something, anything to ease her mind that she wasn't crazy, and neither was he. But what more could possibly bring an inkling of a memory back to her? He'd explained all that he could, and to ask any questions of her would certainly be looked upon with even more confusion by the mare. Obviously, she knew not what had even happened for her to have lost her memories in the first place. Then, she spoke again.

'Did I love you?'

Oh, how he wished to know the answer to that himself. He'd only declared his love to her moments ago, and now, she was asking if she felt the same. The poor boy wasn't sure he could take much more of this. Heaving a sigh, a melancholy look filled his golden eyes as he met her own of the brightest blue. "I would like to think that you did," he finally spoke up, choosing his words carefully and trying his best, but failing, to keep the tremor from his voice, "But I cannot give you an answer, for we have never confessed it before. I'm sorry." An honest, but nevertheless painful statement.

Unable to handle the whirl of emotions rampaging inside of his mind, the stallion pursed his lips before taking a step forward, keeping his eyes locked on Romani's own. "I'm sorry," he repeated, coming to a brief stop just a couple feet before her, "But, I... I just need to get away, to think for some time." By saying this, he hoped that he wouldn't anger the palomino, but he feared that staying any longer would only engage his own rage at the situation. "If you ever need me, or find that your memory has returned, you may find me in the World's Edge. If I've not any word of you within two weeks time, I will come to the Foothills to find you again." An unusual request and promise, he knew, but he would keep to it. Hopefully, though, Romani would be able to remember during that time.

With one last, sorrowful sigh and a longing look in his eyes, Xanthos bid the mare he loved goodbye, and feeling like a kicked dog, he headed back the way he had come, making his way back towards the Edge.

BEFORE I DIE

Credits