the Rift

So far away (Ktulu)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
I needed a moment of quiet. So much had happened over the last week; it was enough to spin head in woven circles that seemed to have no end. Dizzy, I felt dizzy. A lesson had been hard learned yet again, a lesson with a meaning so common that I wondered, “Why must I keep learning to value the time spent with family and friends?” It was easy to take the normal humdrum of everyday life and maintain a quant existence—without giving second glance toward the things that really mattered. First it had been mother and father, then Norse. Now….Cera was almost wrenched from this world.

Guilt was like an endless river without bottom, simple to drown in. Currently the game was to tread water and keep head above long enough for ample breath. I made a vow on the day that my child’s life was put into question that I would never again take what was held most valuable for granted. Eyes empty of light and life drifted up, failure was perhaps the greatest fear of all and it was the one thing that could destroy my existence. A cool breeze welcomed approach into a clearing unlike any I had witnessed before now.

Moonless waters glimmered under the protection of whipping willows; a mist swirled playfully with each tugging breath of air. Even the heavens seemed to play their part in the atmosphere created tonight; stars glistened with a likeness to diamonds, shinning down with enough light to brighten this glade in tranquil softness. A nightingale sung its territorial chirps, and a chorus of crickets sang harmoniously in the background.

Had this been just another evening, I might have stopped to kneel and pray. Thanking our lord for all the blessings of this world. Instead I stared into this beautiful place with vacant expression, grieved; heart already across the ground. Walking slowly along the bank my eyes caught sight of something, a flower…broken and bent—its petals lay scattered where little forest animals had stepped upon them until only a handful remained. Muzzle lowered, sniffing its faint fragrance before catching sight of its sister.

The broken flower had been a pale rose, creamy peach in color. Its bush stood alongside a soft bank, hidden among brambleweeds and little evergreens. The buds were small and tightly sealed shut to protect themselves from the coolness of night, save for one. I stood by, studying this unusual flower. It was a blossom dipped in the deepest of crimson, blackened at the ends and held up by a lengthened stem full of nasty looking thorns.

My heart lurched inside throat, eyes narrowing into slits, “Ktulu…” She came into my mind, similar to this powerful flora in many different ways. Hadn’t I just made a vow to avoid the waste of life? By holding onto emotions like an unsteady colt I was only hurting myself. “Would you come to me empress of night?” This land was old and full of magic, I felt that if I called now, she would come—but that may have been the longings of a tired fool, “I have words to share.”

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

A man delivered can never
Make his way in the darkness

There was absolutely no reason for Ktulu to be in the Grove. She was no fool, she knew what was the purpose of someone coming to the Grove for she had been there herself with the God of the Earth. She had been younger at the time, but even then she she could feel the magic of the land surrounding them and smell the lust on the air. If she were smart she would turn around and go back to the forest before she ran into a stallion who thought he could claim her as his own.

Ktulu snorted softly and pressed on, the fog wrapping around her body and instilling a chill as she strode through it. There was no purpose, no rhyme or reason but something would not let Ktulu turn around and walk back to the forest and bed down for the night. Something nagged and pulled at her, telling her to keep walking and she obeyed, wondering why such feelings would pull at her.

"Ktulu..."

The muffled sound of her name made the dark mare stop, her ears straining forward to hear if any other words would follow. She blinked as the voice came again, one that was vaguely recognizable. Quietly, she proceeded forward through the misty fog and halted when she saw who had spoken her name.

Was he the reason she had the urge to press on and not turn to go home.

"Midas?" She spoke his name and took several more steps toward him. He had words to share? She blinked then extended her muzzle to him. "What are you doing here? Were you waiting for someone?" The very idea sent a jealous surge through the mare, which she found curious. Why should she be jealous, he was not hers. She had no right to have such feelings.

Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Here, the silence didn’t laugh or jest. This place seemed to understand a heart and wouldn’t kid on matters that involved emotions. The grove had seen too much love and pain brought about by the most unique of couplings to find humor in sorrowing for the loss of breath. In reality she was the air within lungs, and blood pumping through heart. I could continue to deny this, hide it even…but eventually the soul would become sick. They might as well shred a hole within my breast; such actions would be more merciful than having to hold tongue any longer.

Then she came, like a shadow spirit; sliding across earth in silent thrums that I heard simply because my mind feverously sought such. Pulse quickened, I turned to look at whom was approaching—fearful that it wasn’t the lovely mistress I had called and instead someone entirely different. The shady tip of a single horn emerged first, followed by a body and his name, “Midas?" Her scent, to me similar in likeness to the rose, drifted over to assure that this was certainly not a dream.

Proffered velvet extended, I held out my similar colored one in humble offering with hopes of brushing across the delicate features of her face. Delighting in the moment when hot breath came across sensitive hairs. I said nothing and instead listened for questions that lite up crimson eyes to be given life, she surely wouldn't disappoint, “What are you doing here? Were you waiting for someone?" I smiled, she had every right to question—this wasn’t the type of place for just anyone, yet it seemed that everyone ended up here at one point.

“I was waiting……for you.”

Nerves rattled my soft vocals; I struggled to make them steady and confident. “There is something I’ve been wanting to tell you,” swallowing hard I plowed through and with the effort corrected a wavering tone, “You are the most important woman in my life, and for a long while I’ve held the desire to share my feelings.” Unflinchingly certain in choice, I gaze into the shiny orbs that held so much beauty I felt shallow in their presence, “I love you.”

"What?" She asked, baffled that Midas would be waiting for her in the Grove of all places. Why there? Why now? What in the world had possessed her into going there? So many thoughts and questions were now running through her mind that she didn't know what to say other than "Huh?" Very rarely was she ever at a loss for words and Midas had definitely thrown her for a loop.

"What?" She said again when he said that he had been wanting to tell her something. If it was important he could gone to her in the forest instead of hoping for whatever reason she'd decide to go to the Grove. Her train of thought was cut off when the stallion spoke again. Once more she was surprised when he declared that she was the most important woman in his life.

Really? There were no other mares more worthy of his time and attention than herself?

"I love you."

Ktulu stood frozen in place, staring at Midas as if he'd grown another head. Her stomach lurched and her heart raced and flip flopped in a most unfamiliar way. "I..." Her mouth clamped shut again because he had left her at a loss of words once more. A few moments later she finally managed to speak.

"Why?"

Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fate led us tonight; it gave strength when there was none—hope that could only feed from hope. Daring when there was nothing to lose. I believed in this with a whole heart, it sent this body strength to keep speaking and it had brought her to me….even if it was only for the ramblings of a humble soul. I couldn’t have met my lady within the confines of her home; those timbers summoned a still too fresh memory.

A memory that bore an evil which had transpired only a few weeks before now—no, those feelings would have tainted our moment. I smile, gentle and tender toward her obvious reaction of confusion. No indication aside from kindness and light tone had led into hinting for my confession.

"Why?"

Why indeed. I had pondered this single worded question many a long night, prayed about it even. The only answer received was one that dug close to heart. Why did we fly? Why did magic grow within us? My answer didn’t seem to matter in the long run, but an answer she deserved and so I would enlighten, “For far too long I have walked the sands of Dragon Throat in silence….taking care as a coward to remain free of injury and chance.” So far my gaze remained steady but in that moment it flickered down, wary and bare, “A recent tragedy has offered firm reminder that our time here is short.” Cera had taught a valuable lesson. Take nothing for granted.

Yes. Nothing.

“I tell you this, because from the moment I first laid eyes on you….unexplainable, yet warming affection and care have been growing,” glancing up, my gaze takes in all that she is. From pure ivory, dipped in the color of a red sun; to silken charcoal flesh with feminine curve delighting to mix between time hardened muscle, and finally to her eyes. Possibly the loveliest attribute, able to hold the deepest of kindness and most shattering cold when she so chooses, “I tell you also, because it would be a sad thing to pass from this world with unspoken words.”

The dark mare stood in silence, watching and listening to Midas as he began to answer her question of why he felt for her the way he did. It was beyond her comprehension that anyone would care for her aside from being a friend. The only love she had ever experienced in her life was the love from her family and her son. Why now out of the blue would Midas proclaim his love for her, she was unsure, just as she was unsure of why her stomach felt like it had butterflies fluttering around in it.

He spoke of the first time he had laid eyes on her and she thought back to when they had first met. She had been heavily pregnant with the Earth God's son and wasn't in the best of moods when she had gone to his side to confront the intruders that wanted to wander around the Throat. Even back then she could remember not being completely happy there.

When she thought about it they had spent a fair amount of time together since their first meeting. He was there when she gave birth to Hototo. She spent weeks with him while he quested for the armor the Earth God crafted for him. It was natural for them to develop feelings, wasn't it?

Them?

"Love..." She murmured as her gaze dropped to the ground. Was that what she felt? He did make her heart flutter, he made her tongue tied and her heart beat faster. Was it love?

"I do like you, Midas." She finally admitted. "A lot." But was it love? Could she return his affection? Ktulu stepped closer and bumped her muzzle against Midas'. "Where does this leave us?" She asked.

Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

"Love..."

Parents often show us the way. It was through guardians that I caught first glimpse of this thing called love and partnership. My mother and father took delight in showing simple affection for each other, a swift kiss here and there when they thought little eyes weren’t looking. Like old friends or soul mates they would spend long evening hours gazing into the night sky, talking, snuggling—always laughing at some ridicules joke the other made.

Every so often one would turn head toward me, curious if loud sound had drawn attention. I was still young at the time and forced to bed at an unfairly early hour; sound bedtimes usually resulted in me pretending to be asleep when their conversation turned hush. My vain act didn’t last long; soon, their soft voices would loll me into deep slumber.

Their dedication was my first experience with love.

I stood by, silent and averting gaze while she worked through everything submitted. Fluttering beats lapped on, circling steadily and never missing a stroke. It was half expected for her to tactfully find words that would let me down into the valley of disappointment, the other half…a more pleasant and hopeful half. Expected a chance—a single opportunity to treat her the way a beautiful creature should be treated, and maybe earn trust and love.

"I do like you, Midas."

Pulse jumped, jittering little bursts of warm fuzz’s through each threaded tendon. Honeyed pools rose to meet an honest gaze, thankful that there was truth absent jest, “A lot." It would seem that our lord favored us, he would grant me a boon and see heart rise from earth. Ktulu came closer; I smiled. Sweet feminine fragrance was like a drug. Tempting, overpowering. It took no small amount of control to simply savor in what meager touch she offered. Extended muzzle was met with my own lips, shifting to plant a soft nuzzling kiss upon her nose.

She offered a sip, whereas I being a man would have liked to simply drown. Even by extending wings and drawing us closer. Or, burying face within the soft contours of neck, and feeling each silken strand brush against shoulders.

To just…hold this woman…inhale who she was.

"Where does this leave us?" I exhale and it comes out a wistful sigh. An answer forms quick enough, “I guess this means it’s time to pay a visit to your father?” Tone is joking, but only half so. It was tradition in my family to ask for permission before courting a lady, “We keep on living,” As I speak, magical spools are called upon. Golden threads pull and tug on surrounding earth, drawing from it the finest of sand. I silently fashion a sharp looking spearhead and carefully use it to slice through the topmost portion of the branch holding a rose I had found earlier.

Balancing the beauty between clinched granules I offer it to her then gently placed its small tip across forelock and behind my lady's dark ear, “and perhaps I’ll make you fall just as in love with me….as I am with you.” The flower sits as a jewel when upon her crown; it is a humble offering at best to me.

Not much of a symbol, but…a start.

“I would ask for your consideration on returning to my homeland with me... but I already know the answer,” a smile, though its corners are bent in brief sadness. She was controlling a herd now, whatever their purpose.

"I guess this means it's time to pay a visit to your father."

Ktulu maintained her silence and stared at Midas as if he had grown another head for making such a decision. Her father? She remembered the look on his face when he saw Hototo for the first time after asking about her son's father. He looked fit to kill when he'd thought that she'd been the victim of foul play on the part of a stallion. How would he react to someone proclaiming love? What would Hototo think about the possibility of having a second father figure? What about her sister? It was all a lot to think about in a short period of time. There were too many emotions flowing and Ktulu had never been one to be graceful when it came to emotions.

"We keep on living."

"That's all anyone ever does." Ktulu finally spoke. She slipped into silence when Midas picked a flower and placed it in her mane close to her ear. What he said next made Ktulu's lips quirk into a very faint smile that was gone almost as soon as it appeared. If that was his plan he would certainly end up achieving it with his chivalry and flattery. In a way Ktulu wished it wasn't working on her and that she could slip back into the forest and live out her days there, but there was a part of her that longed for companionship and love that was different from what her family could provide her.

"Midas." She said after he'd spoken again. "You know I won't." Ktulu said with a shake of her head. "I would do the same for you, but I think I already know your answer. You love the Throat too much to live with me in the forest and be part of the Grey." She turned her head in the direction of the forest and sighed. "But you can visit."

Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
It’s natural to desire love. Right even. Was our strength in love not stronger than hate? Had those tangled threads of passion and loyalty not called to me when Cera was placed in dangers way? Purpose, strength, and a reason for pushing forward; all these things were considered pro, but with each pro there was a con. With each submission of love I surrendered myself to possible pain. Ktulu now had the power to harm me in ways that no other had. The love for land, children and partner were some of the most dangerous appendages a man could grow. They opened weakness to our harsh world.

“Midas,” she responded in that same tone, I suddenly yearned for her to say the title again. My name had never been so sweetly spoken from a lady with the loveliest of features, "You know I won't." Oh. I knew, how could anyone not? The dark forest was her sanctuary, and if these lips would but part in heeding question, Ktulu would welcome my family as friend and we would have a new existence. The ties of mother and child were unbreakable though, and those same ties lashed this body to the heart of Helovia.

I was a babe born with sand laced in my mane.

Our desert had too much spilled blood, sweat and tears to make an inhabitable place a territory of revered power; my parents had helped make it so. This General couldn't abandon that legacy anymore than I could shed wings. Still...love did funny things and I might have followed this lady more willingly had not just recently her strong timbers jested in proffered offer of possible comfort. Ever since the blood of my adopted kin had been needlessly spilled upon its floor, I looked upon her world with a bitter tang upon tongue.

Walking though those trees would feel much like approaching an attempt for murder scene. Yet, my serial killer was still afoot…something I planned to rectify over the coming weeks. “But you can visit,” she says, and my lips twitch again with that same forlorn beam, “I shall,” this voice says stronger than body feels,“Look for me when night falls and all the stars have appeared, I will be in the meadow closest to your home every other night, in the place between land and sea.”

A smile softened Ktulu's features when Midas promised to visit her. She would be loathe to admit it, but after his confession she would have been hurt had he declined her request to visit. Already she didn't think she was worthy of such affection but had he declined that thought would have solidified and become concrete in her mind. The reasons he had given her would have been blown away with the wind. She would also be loathe to admit that it felt good to be loved by someone who did not share the same flesh and blood as she.

"I'll look for you." She promised as she stepped closer to Midas. Her muzzle bumped against his again before brushing against his cheek as she continued to move closer. Soon she had her chest pressed to his and her chin resting near the base of his neck. Her movements had been awkward and unsure as she had only ever shown affection to her parents, sister, and son. Her body tingled and her heart raced. She suspected that Midas would feel it against his own chest and told herself that she needed to calm down.

Eventually Ktulu's eyes closed and she sighed softly. The longer she stood with Midas the more right it felt. The more she wondered why she had closed her heart off for so long. Unfortunately she could not stand there forever with the Throat's General. "I have to go." The words were spoken with obvious reluctance. "It will be daybreak soon and Hototo will worry if he wakes and I am gone."

Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

"I'll look for you."

My luscious, dark temptress; she was the forbidden fruit of the sweetest variety. A rare gem, and a continued likeness to the dark stemmed rose that I had planted between her ear and forelock. Ktulu’s promise mirrors a similar reaction, and sends a wave of pleasure across this soul. It was a date, concrete and true; with both parties willing to participate.

Truthfully, it was more than I deserved or had even hoped for. Tonight, was perhaps the best night of my existence with a woman.

Despite inexperience, everything was going perfectly. Two young people exploring the reaches of passion and tenderness, gently pushing when the moment felt right; and withdrawing to entice the chase. Was this why young bucks went head over heel in foolish antics? For the sake of adrenaline and skipping heartbeat?

Yes. She was my drug, and I was becoming a willing addict.

Yet, desire and lust was tempered with something more. Something that spoke volumes to my soul, she felt—right. Her muzzle touched mine and it was all that I could do to not bounce out of skin for joy. My neck folds across hers, muzzle extending comfortably until it nearly touched the far side of her shoulder. My body trembled, feathers shivered, I had never before been this close to a lady before, and certainly not this intensely—momentary fear came in worry that I would somehow hurt her by a simple touch.

But the thought was silly in nature, and quickly dashed aside. I couldn’t harm Ktulu anymore than I could willingly wound a child.

Our chests meet and even through the warm steel of my collar, I can feel her heart race; and it makes me sigh. Did she know how fast blood was pumping though these veins; how I wished we could stand here forever? Or until earth claimed our hooves and legs for its own, winding flowers and sweet grass between the flesh, tendon and bone…whichever came second.

"I have to go."

“Yes,” I murmur back, reluctant and unwilling to be the first to move away. My lips find a silken strip of mane and give it a gentle tug, "It will be daybreak soon and Hototo will worry if he wakes and I am gone." How much time had passed? My gaze trails up to the still dark sky; our romantic fog had thickened—hinting upon a cool morning that was swiftly approaching. Pulling away a little until I could meet those bright rubies fully, my response comes gently, “Go to him,”

A single step was taken in reverse, though it was unrewarded. My skin instantly cooled, desiring to return to that fragrant feminine warmth, “The night is still dark, I’ll walk you to the Meadow so that no evil spirits can cart you away A smile and a wink was sent her way, I could be playful and romantic.