the Rift

...::Long Time Gone::...{Open/All}

Gossamer the Benevolent Posts: 47
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16hh :: 13
Illusion{Illu}

Gossamer The Benevolent
"Where there is desire there is gonna be a flame, where there is a flame someone is bound to get burned"

Against the tan sand gleams the white body of a mare. This body, once toned and strong, now seems to be much thinner, weaker. Wispy white, her mane and tail flutter gently in the breeze of the ocean. She lay there for a while before burying her nose in the sun-warmed sand and then looking out listlessly at the ocean before her. It was so vast and she so small. If only she could be that vast, if only she'd been that vast when Paladin had challenged her position as lead of the Foothills.

While her next thought was certainly not charitable, she thought it anyways: she hoped his kingdom had all gone to shit.

Then she released a great, big sigh. The sand covering her nose blew out in a big puff about her and, for a moment, she appeared like some odd, white elephant seal sunning herself upon the beach. She really had ought to stop dwelling upon that, she scolded herself. "Yes, love, you really ought to. Life moves on, as must you. You must find your own place in this world, just as Enna has..." ,thought Lazulli at her. Oh yes, Enna. The Benevolent recalls the words her daughter had uttered upon their parting. Such fire which had been there, such a stronger mare which was apparent. Ah, alas, Enna would make her entrance whenever she felt it was fit. She shifted her weight and one could just see the edges of the marking for virtue upon her right shoulder. The necklace made by Narmer to hold her amulet soon rubbed against her though, so she decided to just flop over completely on the sand and sprawl out.

She had left the herd and traveled with Enna and Eios over Loorien, to different lands with different gods...together, at least for a time. Wandering yet again. Both Enna and Eios eventually branched off on their own and she was left to wander alone. To meander amongst only one's thoughts often allows for greater reflection than if the horse had been in company anyways. Though she deliberated for many months on it, she had come to the conclusion that her choice to lead had not been wrong. The experience had only made her grow. However, it had also caused her to realize that, through the adventure, she should never again stray into the area of battle and leads. She wasn't quite sure what she wanted to do yet. She wasn't even sure if she wanted to meet her old friends either. Gods, she certainly didn't want to even contemplate the complications of her relationship with Indy. Was there even one left?

The white mare soon felt Lazulli's scorn enter her head again and replied in annoyance, "Oh shush, I'm allowed to mourn the stallion with whom I've spent nearly my entire life. It would be as if you had lost me." At that Lazulli backed off with all the pressure and flopped down next to her in the sand. Lax, lazy, and languid they both lay there, thinking of nothing in particular any longer. To any whom decided to pass by the two would seem dead and, for those who knew them, they'd be easily recognizable. Gossamer was well aware that she might be seen like this, all.. well...sandy and lacking her pristine grace. Frankly though, she didn't much care any longer, her time of power was up and she fully intended to enjoy retirement.
"blah blah blah."
{OOC: Ps. I have like NO idea what has happened since I left so if anyone would like to fill me/Goss in via the thread thats totally fine. =)}

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
larfsalot.deviantart.com

A dragon flew above.

It was not Akaith, though the little gold companion was not far behind her bonded. It was the WeyrLeader of the World's Edge, draped in her draconic form, golden wings stretching for dozens of feet either side of her magnificent bodice. Though the body itself was no larger than the equine equivalent, the addition of wings, an elongated nape, and the thick, whip-like tail made for a very intimidating form. The dragon-mare had taken flight from her home, and flown south west, so that the Endless Blue, with its pale sands and deep, dark ocean stretching onto lands unknown. The salty air filled the leathery wings, giving her lift, allowing her to glide over almost the entire stretch of beach in only a handful of wingbeats.

A curious mental brush diverted her attention below, a speck of blue, and a white bodice. The fallen form of her old friend caused a mix of emotions to writhe about within her, memories from many seasons ago bubbling to the surface, that weariness from all that she had been through recently mingling with it all. A smoky snort was exhaled, as the dragon-mare tilted her path downwards, flaring her wings out as the sand seemed to accelerate in its approach to her. Strong, sturdy legs dug deep trenches as she landed, even her long tail lashed into the shore, as wingflaps stirred up loose nodules of the dried sand. She had landed a few lengths away from the mare's body, slitted eyes looking over her, nostrils testing the air and discerning that she was, indeed, alive.

Akaith took this moment to flutter down from the heights they had flown from, as Mirage bowed her head and called upon her equine form once more. She chortled to the little blue, Lazulli, whom she had known for many years, whilst also focussing upon her bonded, who often felt pain during the transformation. Seconds passed, and soon, the dark smudge of a mare stood besides Gossamer. A low whicker escaped her gullet, slightly breathless from both her flight and the transformation. Soft, plush muzzle reached out to the mare, warm breath blowing puffs of air over her, gentle curiosity willing the aged frame of the Benevolent to rise and live once again.

"Gossamer." It was the only word spoken, a greeting and a question all in one, a statement that asked for attention but also offered to give it. It was a promise made to an old friend, one that promised again and again that she would always find her, and stand by her.

Hidden Account
Illusion{Illu}

Gossamer The Benevolent
"Where there is desire there is gonna be a flame, where there is a flame someone is bound to get burned"

She had laid there for what might be hours, relishing in the ability to relax in the new warmth, when a slightly larger "whoosh" was perceived in the breeze. Hmm, a Pegasus perhaps? It was a large one if it was only a Pegasus. Was the state of the land such that they had been forced from the Throat to the Blue? Dear Kri had fallen far if that was true.

Despite the mare's somewhat reserved nature around her, Gossamer had always enjoyed their mutual dislike of the white demon Mauja. No, she doubted anyhorse would make this land their herdland. Whatever it was, it was, in her experience, certainly not likely to be friendly. Moments later the sand was wracked by the most gigantic, thudding tremors she had ever felt.

Lazulli, still laying next to her, commented, "Now that's a bit of an exaggeration love." a mental scoff was her return, "Perhaps, but that knowledge is still not going to get me to open my eyes before I get eaten." She'd heard storied of cannibals, perhaps this was one, come to feast upon her dead flesh. Oh no indeed, she was not to keen on opening her eyes now.
"You're being overly dramatic"
"No, I'm not."

She sensed a shift in her blue dragon's demeanor then, as if he had recognized someone they once knew. Soon his voice fingered its way into her mind once more. "Regardless of whether or not you want to open your eyes, you really ought to Heart." Chirruped Lazulli. His comment did not have the desired effect, however, as her quick reply was a pouty, "No". Her eyes remained stubbornly shut until her very own name reached her ears. Gossamer, that voice, it was familiar. She crooked open the eye which was not in the sand, ever so slightly, and was greeted with the sight of her old friend Mirage.

That realization was followed by a large release of held breath and her entire body releasing its pent up tension as she spoke. "Mirage" was the first word which was uttered. It was ridden with emotion. But, following that, it lightened a bit, Thank the gods its only you. That loud entrance had me worried" And, though she wanted nothing more than to remain in the warm sand, she proceeded to extricate herself from her bed or pity to stand before the shadowy mare. With a lazy shake of her hide she looked about for Mirage's lover, Vikram, but could not see any other horse. Curious she quirked her head at her friend and said, "As a matter of fact, I don't see Vikram around anywhere, what was the cause of that?" She wasn't quite ready yet to explain the emotion which was in her voice, nor to inquire about what was held in the other mare's. It was better, for her at least, to make some small talk first.

Solstice Posts: 93
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15 hh :: 8 (at time of death)
Emily
With her new found freedom, the painted mare took some time to return to her favorite place in all of Helovia... The Endless blue reminded her of the Moonlit Tides of Isilme. Of course with coming her came the wash of guilt and sadness of missing her lost beloved Ata. He had stayed behind and fought bravely along side his mother to protect the herd as they made a quick retreat. Solstice to had stayed, until she had no choice but to flee so that Aaron would flee as well. Their son had waited on the outskirts of Isilme for either of them. It had been Solstice that ran first.

As she moved along her mind was still hung up on Ata... Hazel eyes were not seeing the Endless Blue, but seeing the Tides like they were when she was a foal. The land where she and Ata had fell in love. So many thought they were to young to know what they were getting into. But no they stuck together until the blackout tore them apart. Fate had brought them back together long enough for them to have a son before being torn apart yet again. The paint could only wonder if this time it was for good. Sure she had made a mistake, one she hoped Ata would understand should he finally find his way back to her... If not, well Azale was still her child and she would raise her on her own if she had to.... Even if she could not teach her how to fly..

It was only then the distracted paint noticed her friends.. A warm smile spread across her muzzle as she rushed like a foal to the pale mare on the sand. "Gossamer!" She cried joyfully before nodding to Mirage. Sure Mirage was there for her, but Gos had helped raise her.

larfsalot.deviantart.com

The sands shifted, the pale form of forgotten resplendence rose, and with relief Mirage saw her friend find her feet once more. The little shadow, a dark smudge next to the pale, sculpted Spanish hide of Gossamer, stood with little emotion upon her dial, though there was a gentle softness, a kindness that showed her respect and happiness for seeing the former Leader of the Foothills standing again. Akaith trilled her greetings above and beyond, aerial acrobatics giving a good show of her prowess in the skies above the gathering. A greeting was sounded as Solstice was spotted entering the beach, though before she arrived Gossamer had begun speaking, questioning the thundering wingbeats she undoubtedly felt from her position on the sand.

In response, a wry smile curled the lips of the DragonHeart, as her nape bent and arced, tendrils of mane being lifted by the beachy breeze to show the thin golden lines that traced a dragon's outline down her slender nape. "Vikram is not the only dragon to walk Helovia." She said with a gentle affection, a playfulness that had been long out of use. "Much has happened, my friend." She said more quietly now, greeting Solstice with a returning nod as the golden paint arrived. Solstice had followed Mirage and the Qian because of Gossamer's defeat and disappearance; the little shadow would be a fool to think that the pale former Leader had no connections left behind. A small frown creased her brow, but it smoothed out just as swiftly, as the dark mare hoped to address the issue that was pressing down on them all, as silent as if it weren't there at all, but about as obvious as an elephant sitting in someone's living room.

"Gossamer please, tell us what has happened?"

Hidden Account
Illusion{Illu}

Gossamer The Benevolent

The Shadow's reply wasn't much of a surprise. She would share the happenings of the land and, apparently, her new curious ability to hold the shape her lover held, whenever she felt it was fit. She was about to inquire more when young Solstice, for she would forever be young in Gossamer's mind, arrived with a joyful greeting. It was that which finally brought a smile to her face. It was good to be reminded of the innocent times of her past. When life was young and so full of promise she and Solstice's mother had raised their foals together. Ahh, what times those had been. She reached out with a tentatively motherly nuzzle towards the young mother, her eyes somewhat regretful she hadn't spent more time with the painted mare. Then came Mirage's weighted question.

What has happened?

Such an interesting question indeed. So much had occurred over the last few months that she wasn't quite sure where to start. No, that was a lie, she knew where to start...she just didn't want to begin there. "Better to start with the worst than end with it." came the Blue's wizened chirrup. He was over bowing to Mirage's golden Queen again, ever enchanted throughout the years.

"Oh, well, I shall begin with the challenge I suppose. Paladin's challenge was, in all honesty, the last one which I would have expected. It was also the one which hurt the most for he had to have talked to Sol about it, she had to have known. I was confused and felt betrayed and so I...well I left." She paused and took a breath, It took quite a bit of time, but I think that I have arrived at the correct decision of staying, at least for the most part, out of politics from now on. I rather dislike the things which come with it and I'm ready to just meander about helping horses, perhaps caring for foals. I'm looking for work much quieter now." She thought she was done when a chuckle escaped her maw and she was compelled to add onto the end of her long speech, "Though, as for Enna, I'm sure she'll be wanting something more....intensive."

So many words, thinks the white mare. None could explain why her hairs had begun to gain just a tinge of silvery grey or why her voice, though still kind, was not as soft as it had been. Life had been fun, but not always kind, and she was quite ready to just sit back, relax, and leave the fighting to the young ones.

Solstice Posts: 93
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15 hh :: 8 (at time of death)
Emily
Solstice listened as the pair continued to talk of the happenings since Gossamer had fled. Then of course the conversation turned to where the pale fem had gone. The paint listened carefully waiting until she was done to speak. "I am not sure that Sol did know in advance.. The challenge caught many by surprise... Several were not happy about it." The herd meeting that had followed had been interesting to say the least. Many had spoken up in favor of the change, but it had seemed just as many spoke up against him as well. The most memorable had been Smoke's daughter Kimber... Who surprisingly had been followed by her own son Aaron.

Softly she spoke up "I wish you had not left like that.." Hazel eyes looked to the pale mare she considered a mother, then to the ebon form of Mirage who had become a great friend to her family. She really hoped that Gossamer would join the Qian and come home. She wanted them to all be one big happy family.. But could they really be that way? After all big happy families in the painted dove's past had never worked out. Either someone had died.. Or well.. Actually several died until all she had been left with was her son. Maybe it was time to give up on her happily ever after and focus on her children's future. Aaron was his own stallion, as much as she hated to admit it. Azale and Kamien needed her attention now. The past was the past and all she could do was move on... right?

larfsalot.deviantart.com

Obediently the WeyrLeader's ears rose for the occasion, delicate and refined that they were, they delivered Gossamer's tale with the promise of truth; a sad, lonely tale wrought with betrayal and regret. Mirage felt for her, she truly did, for what Gossamer spoke of came close to a fear within Mirage's own heart, a concern of what would happen if she allowed others too close - it was why, even now, it took time for her to trust others. But, would she have turned Paladin away had he sought a home with her? Even now, knowing what he was capable of? The little shadow mare had to think about it, and eventually she decided that she did trust him - he surely had his reasons for his actions, though what they were the dark mare didn't pretend to know. Perhaps one day, she would ask him directly, and truly make an assessment upon him.

Akaith happily chirruped and chortled at the blue who bowed before her, amusement and affection clear as she attempted to initiate a game of aerial tag, stirring up sand as she took to the skies with a swift unfolding of her wings. Meanwhile, Mirage had dutifully been digesting the words proffered to her, listening to Solstice's too, nodding absentmindedly in agreement. The departure of the pale maiden had been too sudden, too unexplained - though again, after some consideration, Mirage did wonder how she would have reacted herself. A small smirk crossed her façade, as the mare decided to take special note of a particular sentiment Gossamer had spoken of - looking for work.

"The World's Edge is home to myself and Solstice, and the rest of the Qian. We are small still, but close, and stronger for it." Her accented, colourful lyrics began, a knowing glint in her eye - she trusted the pale femme enough to predict the words that followed. "You have been through much, Gossamer, and it would be an honour for me to be able to offer you respite within our borders." A small tilt of her cranium pointed to the cliff that rimmed the northern side of the beach, visible even from this distance. "The Foothills remain home to my brothers, though Leadership has exchanged hooves numerous times since your descent." This she intoned with little more than bland, factual speech, unwilling to add her own personal flavour or opinion behind the words. The herd had been unsettled, to say the least, though perhaps finally they had found someone strong enough to lead well, by himself.

A smile was offered to Solstice, she hoped that the painted femme felt the same - she had guessed as much by her reception of the pale maiden. Gaze returned to Gossamer then, warm, kind, and offering a chance for the mare to find happiness once more.

Hidden Account
Illusion{Illu}

Gossamer The Benevolent

The pale fem listens to Solstice as she offers up her opinion and, though she appreciated the mare's words, wasn't sure she entirely believed that her Soleil hadn't known. Not that she held any actions against her child. Had she felt hurt? Yes. Would she ever disown any of her children? No, not even Aarde or Crane.

She tuned in to Solstice as she spoke of her wishing she had not left and she cast a guilty glance at the fem and spoke, "I wish I hadn't left as suddenly too now, but I think I needed the time dear." She truly had neglected her little filly for far too long. When the mare arrived she had been overwhelmed with the loss of her beloved Ata and, well, most of her family as well. She had been alone. And rather than comfort her and spend more time with her, she'd simply pushed the mare to the side a little when Soleil had shown up. It had been so entirely wrong to ignore someone so close to her in need.

Golden brown eyes caught Mirage's darker ones and she felt a bit of camaraderie there. Her eyes began to dance a bit under the Shadow's small smirk. She smiled brightly at the offer and bowed her head to her dear friend, "And I would be honored to accept your kind offer as I don't think there's anywhere I'd rather be. Thank you. As for the herdland, I am sorry to hear that about my beloved home, perhaps, in time, it will find some relative peace once more." How was it that the black mare was always saving her when she needed it most? One day, she hoped she'd help the Shadow too. Above the three, in the sky, flew Lazulli who had taken joyfully to the Golden's game of tag. His chirrups and chortles of happiness at his first game with her, "She plays!" came his voice loud and clear. To which she smiled as she looked up at the two. She wasn't quite sure what he meant because it wasn't as if the two hadn't been friendly before. Whatever it was, she knew that it symbolized a change in the air.