the Rift

Where Loyalties Lie [Jackal]

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

In the end of it all, Romani was pleased that she had attended the herd meeting. While still unsure about Jackal’s ability to lead a herd, her reservations were dropping off one by one… Paladin the Valiant’s words had been reassuring to hear. If he thought that the King of Thieves could do well in protecting them, in seeing them blossom and grow into a strong herd, then who’s words could she better trust than a previous leader himself? Despite how reassuring it was, however, the palomino wouldn’t be sated until she had spoken to Jackal alone. She only hoped that he would listen, and take all of her concerns to heart.

As a youngling, Romani’s heart and soul had always been thrust into everything that she had attempted. If she wanted something, she strove and worked to receive it. It was only natural to her that her emotions were the same when regarding the Foothills of Helovia. The beautiful land had become her home, the gypsy’s resting place after a long journey, and she felt empowered to protect it with her life, heart, and soul. It was with such devotion that her loyalties had been born, her loyalties to Svetlana, Archibald, and Evers… And the devotion did not react well to change.

Perhaps that was why she had been so wary of Jackal… Perhaps it was time she gave the King of Thieves a chance. After all; wasn’t that what everyone deserved? A chance?

So lost in her thoughts as she was, Romani came to a stop aside the roaring forces of the waterfall nestled in the crooked rocks of the Foothills, surprised that she had reached the structure sooner than she had imagined. The mist cascaded down, settling in her mane and dampening her thick hide. It was a pleasant feeling, almost as if she were being embraced by the waters of her home. Kasai had remained strangely obedient since the meeting had both started, and when it had ended. Even now, the normally ornery cub had remained polite and vigil, sensing the Haflinger’s concerns and worries, her doubts and hopes. Taking a seat upon her haunches, the tigress cub rubbed her head soothingly against the stocky mare’s knee, a deep purr resonating from the bowels of her stomach.

Azure eyes glanced to the tigress, a quirky smile pulling at her lips. Through their bond she sent a rolling, grateful, loving emotion, embracing the cub with her emotions. Kasai’s purr only intensified, and a soft chuckle came from Romani’s throat at the sound. “Now, we must wait, darling. Hopefully Jackal will come along shortly.” For a few moments the warrior remained in the embracing mist of the waterfall before moving away, as not to become drenched in the spray. It was there that she waited, standing with her head high, waiting for the King of Thieves to grant her audience.

[OOC: Thread is for Jackal only, set after the herd meeting. :D]

The true Soldier fights not because
He hates what is in front of him,
But because he loves what is behind him.

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Jackal2 the King of Thieves Posts: 71
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 ½ :: 3 years
zz

Clack, clack.

Striped heels clatter against stone, dragging the dun fitfully, ever upward. Willow's eucalyptus poultice has healed his injured limb considerably, although the leg is still prone to stumbling and weakness. A ghost of a smile traces his lips as he thinks of the tree-mare. She is learned and skillful to her trade; it was a wise decision to choose her, and her knowledge will prove useful within the coming days. He limps on, aching muscles straining forward. The Dauntless had no doubt put up a fight for his empty throne, but a victor is chosen far before the battle, and the universe drove him to triumph. His breath comes heavy and labored as the trail steepens and narrows. The last time he had traced this trail was to drive off Svetlana the Stormchaser, the goddess that bowed and had come again like a common housefly, here to gather the sheep that never came. Auburn tail flicks with contempt; where ever she is now, he hopes the very insects she emulates feast on her flesh. She was no worthy leader, and neither was the Dauntless, and he drove them out all the same, giants or goddesses or not.

As he crests the mountain path, the thunder of the cascade increases. He sees the stout Haflinger at once, standing as if she had something to be proud with. Warily, he tilts an ear backwards, apprehensive of her boldness. What drives her to be so loyal to worthless leaders? He has fought for them, he has fought for her, and she repays him with doubt? A pale cub reclines on her back, and vaguely, Jackal wonders where his own dragon is. Hunting, most probably, searching for marmots and weasels in the high, ice-peaked mountains. The dun pauses before her, face set in a neutral expression. "You have a lovely friend," he says softly, giving the tiger a gentle glance. Mercury eyes study her for a moment, before flicking toward the mare beneath her. "You do not trust me," the stallion says bluntly, no kindness or disdain in his voice; it is as honest as the blade of a steel sword whistling through the air. "I understand your qualms," he murmurs quietly, gaze unwavering from her blue eyes. "The triumvirate was chosen by the blood in your veins," the King of Thieves begins gently, "Not how deftly you lead your people, nor how devoted you were to them. Forgive me if I offend you, but Svetlana ran, and Archibald fell, and they were chosen by the same system. I am no power-hungry colt - I only saw a badly managed herd." Lips fall into a serious line, he wonders vaguely if she'll run away from the truth. "But my opinion does not matter in such things," his voice has gained a weariness it has not had before; "Tell me, what do you think?"

forever is a long long time when you've lost your way

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

It didn’t take much longer for Romani to see the spotted stallion cresting the top of the path, her eyes locking upon his form and head dipping slightly. She remained where she stood, watching with a careful eye as he approached her. One of his auburn ears tipped back, as if uncertain about something, but that was fine. They were both unsure of this meeting, more than likely, and of what would come of it. Jackal came to a stop a mere pace from her, regarding her with silver orbs for a moment before offering little Kasai a small glance of her own.

‘You have a lovely friend.’ It was a compliment that Romani had not been expecting. Azure eyes glanced down to the said tigress, watching as the cub straightened herself and looked up at Jackal’s taller, more massive frame. She was curious, but knew better than to step forward and investigate. Instead, Kasai would merely wait. Appreciating the kind words from the King of Thieves, Romani dipped her head slightly in grace.

“Thank you,” she said, then promptly grew quiet and allowed the chief to speak. Her ears flicked forward, then back, before swiveling forward again. Yes, it was true… She didn’t trust him, not entirely. Yet instead of belittling her for her lack of trust, he claimed to understand. That, as well, was something unexpected, and caused her to open her mind, and heart, to truly try and comprehend Jackal’s words. And it was also true what the appaloosa claimed about Svetlana. No matter how much devotion she had obtained for the ivory Pegasus, it didn’t change the fact that the StormChaser had, indeed, left them. It had left a bitterness in the Haflinger that hadn’t settled well… Perhaps it was Svetlana’s lack of will that had caused Romani to react cynically towards Jackal? Maybe her anger of the situation had caused her to be blind to what Jackal offered them…? After all, it wasn’t about her; it was all about the Foothills, and what was best for the herd.

Romani had never claimed to be a coward, and she would not run from the truth.

“I understand what you say, Jackal,” the warrior said upon a soft murmur, her voice barely carrying over the sound of the crashing waterfall, “And, much to my surprise in myself, I agree. I was loyal to Svetlana because she found me while I wandered the Threshold, offering me a home and a place to love and protect. Archibald had seen to my abilities, had allowed me to become a warrior to defend these very lands…”

Had it merely been Archibald and Svetlana’s acceptance to her that had caused her to become so loyal? After she had settled into the Foothills, hadn’t the herd been neglected, small, and vulnerable? That was why she had ventured to the Threshold so often; to increase their ranks and help their herd, for it seemed like none of the leads were reaching out for protection, to strengthen their numbers and thus, their safety. Yet, Jackal… Jackal had done that. He had requested a meeting to hear their opinions, something that none of the others had done. He had become an active part of the Foothills, and that alone should have been proof enough for Romani.

Letting out a little breath, a small frown pulled at the palomino’s dark lips. A melancholic look crossed her azure eyes, and she lifted her head once more, soft orbs gazing once more into Jackal’s cool silver. “Perhaps you are right. No… You are right. While I’m sure that their intentions were true for the Foothills, during my time here, however short, I witnessed more talk than action.”

The true Soldier fights not because
He hates what is in front of him,
But because he loves what is behind him.

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Jackal2 the King of Thieves Posts: 71
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 ½ :: 3 years
zz

Her voice is soft, almost overwhelmed by the waterfall's roar and her words are even softer, burdened by memory. A sad smile, the kind of smile a father may give you when he announces the death of a pet, turns his lips upward, reaching those strange silver eyes in something that did not betray mockery nor annoyance, but understanding. He knows how painful it is to trust someone with your life, to give them your heart, and how painful it is to have them escape, your heart thrown carelessly away, like the mud that it is. "And you have," he murmurs, tilting his head softly to the side, mercury eyes studying her intently. Her eyes are blue, but they are the wrong shade; they remind him of someone else, and blood rushes to the cheek, remembering the infinite cold of her touch. Inwardly, he sighs. He wants to comfort her, to tell her that everything is alright, but he knows it's a lie - it's all a lie, and the best a leader can do is comfort his people.

Her approval blossoms between them like the bright flowers of spring, peeking their fair faces from a thawing ice. "I appreciate that," he says, the coolness of his eyes dissolving to warmth. Perhaps there really is hope for him in this huge dark world. A pause; he lets the nearby cascade fill the silence. He tilts his head, watching her mildly. "Your approval means the world to me," a quiet chortle is given, "Of what use is a leader with no one supporting him? He would just fall back into nothingness," the amusement fades from his face, but laughter still glitters in his eyes. But what if you've already fallen back - is there still time to find enough arms to catch you?

Did he have enough arms?

forever is a long long time when you've lost your way

[zomg sorry this sucked D: if you didn't have anything else in mind, we could wrap this up?]