Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

;; Maybe I said the right things wrong
But one last shot was too far gone
But if I can I swear that I
Will live for you before I die ;;

His heart had broken into pieces. His visit with Romani in the meadow had left him feeling lost, lower than dirt, and without a purpose. Perhaps it was a bit extreme to think that way, but a multitude of the decisions he'd made recently had reflected upon his feelings for the palomino. For some reason, she was unable to remember him, and looked upon him as a stranger.

With a hefty sigh, the grullo picked his way through the rocky flat of the Edge, head lowered pathetically as he moved. This was the worst he had surely ever felt; he had no clue the feelings that the Plague now held for him, especially poor, old Myrddin, and now he had Romani to worry about, as well as the members of his new home. Could he handle any more negativity? He'd met only a couple of them, and none had seemed too terribly happy to have him here. Not that he could blame them, not after what he'd done. Xanthos felt pitiful to be in their presence, and even if he was unable to think of how to make up for old actions, he would do his best.

Drawing in a deep breath, the stallion came to a halt, and picked his head up to gaze out across the rather calm sea stretching out before him. He stood at the edge of the cliffs, the crashing sound of the waves below meeting his ears with ease. He would have to be careful whenever the mists arose in the early hours of the morning, lest he go tumbling over and into the cold waters below.

Would anyone dare to approach him? Perhaps he should be the one seeking the company of others, but he wouldn't want to ruin the beautiful day by showing up when he wasn't invited. So it was with another sigh that the grullo kept his golden, slitted gaze focused on the azure sea that lay spread out before him, offering him a peaceful sight for his thoughts to roam.

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu
There is that saying that misery loves company. Of course it more implies that miserable people like to make others feel miserable, but I like to think of it as miserable people just attract miserable people. At least, that's how I feel.

The moment I notice this sad, morose soul wandering the misty edge, my hooves are in motion. I can understand how the weight of your head, so swollen with sorrow and defeat, makes it too heavy to hold any higher than just above the ground. I recognize the dragging pace of legs that find no greater purpose in moving than standing, of hooves feeling like lead sinking into the quagmire of the ground.

He is a depressed thing. I like him instantly.

I know not what ails him. It doesn't really matter to me, we are already brothers, sharing this same poisoned drink of poorly dealt fate. I sidle up behind him with little more than a whisper, my title earned well in that respect. I am taller than him, but I don't inflict any sort of presence with a frame that boasts more curves of bone than muscle. Luckily misery favors the ugly too.

Although I would be glad to share this silent moment beside my newest acquaintance, drinking up his misfortune like some thirsty babe suckling at a dripping tit, I feel inspired to cheer him up. Maybe in the end I like being alone, even in this dark cocoon of pity and shame, so I feel the need to oust anyone who's too sad.

The tail tangled around my hooves has already begun its work. Black liquid seeps from it rapidly and I shape it into a vine crawling over the rocks, then blooming into a flower just before the stallion. It tilts, almost dancing, like a dark abysmal sun. I never take my eyes off him, and in the hopes I will catch his attention, crack a smile.
Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

;; Maybe I said the right things wrong
But one last shot was too far gone
But if I can I swear that I
Will live for you before I die ;;

How long had he been standing there? Minutes, hours, days? The way his mind sifted through his thousands of thoughts might have suggested the latter, but in truth, he knew it really hadn't been all that long. The gentle crash of waves below was certainly calming, but they could never wash away the great deal of sadness plaguing him as they did the sands upon a shore.

Just as he released a breath, a sigh more or less, the grullo was taken by surprise when a black, almost skeletal looking being steps up beside him. He gave a start at the sudden appearance, but was quick to settle when it became obvious that there was no harm to be had. Whoever this was, they were a part of the Edge, and one of his new family. He knew not what the other stallion thought of him, but he doubted it would be too much different than how the others had expressed themselves in the presence of Mirage.

"Hello," he spoke the simple word towards the quiet stallion, and cocked an ear to the side when he was not greeted with anything in response. A mental sigh. 'Great, just like the rest,' came his thoughts, but before he could form any other sort of reaction, the younger stallion began to react in the strangest of ways. With curious eyes, Xanthos stepped to the side to allow him a greater view of just what was happening before his very eyes.

At first, he couldn't tell what the inky was forming, but it all came together when a beautiful flower was drawn out before him. In that moment, his own sadness seemed to disipate, and a smile dared to pull at his lips once more. Lifting his eyes from the ground and to the stallion, he caught the other's own smile, and almost instantly Xanthos found that he was scolding himself. He shouldn't judge others so quickly; he of all should know that.

"Thank you," came his voice again, this time with much more feeling within it, "I needed that... My name is Xanthos. May I ask your name?"

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu
He is quick to respond to my approach with a greeting, though it is short and fast and somehow not very welcoming in the slightest. I ignore him of course, set in my task of making, the only way I can respond regardless. Is it annoyance that flashes like a brief, summer storm over the stallion's gaze? I notice it barely, for that's all that it is there for, the stranger easily distracted and redirected to a different set of emotions by the blossoming of my flower.

His smile comes like a relief to his face - it must be unaccustomed to appearing sad - and with it splinters of tension break from his body. It's as if his joy is a chick hatching from an egg, each bit of shell a fragment of displeasure being ruptured.

I wonder what has him so upset to begin with. Anger and annoyance commonly walk side by side with sorrow and grief, though it pains me to say that his reaction to my absence of voice is common even in those I wouldn't have deemed 'down'. I guess a better word is blue, but I've never been fond of the phrase. Grey is far more dismal a color and black, as I am, something utterly devoid. I have never been blue; I have only been black.

The stallion murmurs gently now and I find myself flicking my ear towards him just to catch his sound better. I hope it also provides that sign that I am willing to listen to his troubles. I am a nosy thing by my very job description, but in a personal way I crave to know what gives others such misery. I experience so much of it, but only one kind.

He provides his name and I know what must come next.
Disappointment.

As soon as he asks I shake my head with a slow, gentle movement. The movement isn't entirely correct. He is of course, allowed to ask my name, and in doing so he already did, but I cannot give it, and that's what my negative response is for. Of course he will understand this, but words can have such round-about meanings, saying one thing but intending another. It is so strange and generally addicting to me to listen to others speak. I feel like an observer spying in on a world I can never take part of; an alien quietly dissecting the strange and bizarre.

It is with this great attention to his voice that I am suddenly struck with the memory of it. I stiffen for a moment, abruptly aware that this individual had been in the Basin. This had been Mirage's captor, the same one she spoke of as releasing her. I glance sidelong at him, viewing him in a different light with this new haze of knowledge. I feel nothing new to him truly. I saw enough evidence myself of the care he took of her and am grateful to his return of her, and being as we're both in the same line of work I understand the lack of personal sentiments that may go into the taking of individuals. Why I myself had captured a random stallion and never bothered to stop his escape attempt - it was mostly a challenge of my skills.

I do wonder though, how he managed to capture the almighty Mirage, though I fear I will never know it. Just something else to add to that list then.

My first smile had waned but I offer it once more, in the hopes of softening the blow with my lack of a name and the undoubtedly obvious change of expression that came with my realization. I hope to give some crumb of an explanation as I sweep my tail around once more, drawing out a sun and a cloud. I am sure he wishes not to speak of Mirage for the time being, and though to be rather honest I don't much care about his wants over my own thirst of knowledge, I know one must dance in social settings in order to run. I may eventually get to ask him, in so many pictures, another time. If I want to keep him with me here, for now, however, I must help him fully dissolve his woes. Besides, those do still interest me and sating one hunger with another fills your belly either way.

So I let the dark cloud cover the black sun, and I have it begin to rain ink, gently falling and washing off Xanthos. My gaze is direct and unwavering upon him, wonder and concern spinning in my onyx irises.
Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.