the Rift

Through the shine of the sun, Sohalia | Open

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud
 Phaedra</style>
 & from your lips she drew the hallelujah</style>

Phae found it fitting that her companion bore the same white wings as the mare who had enabled her quest in the first place. Without Sohalia's kindness and willingness to trust her heart to a mare she scarcely knew, Stella would not be an actuality. More and more Phae found herself wondering about Sohalia, about Sohalia and Note specifically. They seemed to have gotten off on the right foot when last Phae saw them, a few weeks ago. But after Note's initial impression on her, she was concerned. He seemed....guarded. Jaded maybe, she didn't know. She also didn't know why she cared. Is this truly what friendship felt like? Phae did not have friends, boyfriends maybe, but never slumber party, braid each other's hair and gossip friends. Then again, Sohalia didn't seem like a gossiper...Frowning, Phae considered whether or not she actually could forge a friendship with someone, if she didn't even know what the term really entailed.

The wind felt reassuring and comforting beneath her wings, as she glided in the direction of the Throat. She wasn't feeling 100%, although Tor had healed her wings, and the gash on her leg from her spar with Aisha was healing nicely as well. The cause of her discomfort was not something she believed could be remedied by a healer, then again 'remedied' was probably entirely the wrong way to even categorize it. Looking uncertainly to Stella, Phae sighed. I hope Sohalia and I are friends. It would be good to talk about this... She mentally projected. Stella, still annoyed with her bonded over the events of a few days ago, said and projected nothing.

Nearing the Throat, Phae slowed down considerably, landing with each on the dry blood-stained terrain. Being a spy, it always interested her to visit the herd lands, just to see what was going on. And if anyone asked, well, she was just here looking for her friend. Maybe a friendship would be advantageous? Phae thought, but quickly dismissed the idea. Something inside her told her that friendships ought not to be built on false pretences. Phae was find with having fake friendships, if they suited her purpose, but in her heart she knew that she needed the bond between her and Sohalia to be real, if she was going to tell her secret. Picking up a light trot, Phae moved deeper into the Throat, hoping to catch a glimpse of the white mare against the red rock.

HP: 45.5

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

I am in the oasis, mesmerized as always by the emerald gem tucked away in the red rock and golden sand of the desert. Though the surrounding area is harsh and inhospitable, the grass is lush here, the water cool. The Birdsong air is warm, but not uncomfortably so, even without the shade provided here. I wonder what it will be like once Tallsun hits. Will I regret having joined a desert herd then? Note's image flares in my mind, followed by Rowan's; I smile. No, I will not regret the choices that have led me here. I have far too much to lose now. Once, the notion would have terrified me. I'll admit, I do worry about the wellbeing of not only those I know well, but also of my entire herd. That is what herd means - it is a family, even if we are not all related by blood.

I am alone, even though there are others around. Note is off somewhere, probably doing some warrior-life duties. I miss his presence, if only because it is a comfort in a land where I know so few. Rowan, too, is busy today, and I am far too shy to meet any of those milling around on my own. My bi-colored orbs scan them shyly, and I am again surprised by the number of my own kind. Once, I supposed, the Throat herd had been only pegasi; but then, how could they keep others out when they only wanted a home? A family? I am wholly supportive of racial equality, if you want to call it that - my family had once been targeted only for being pegasi, and I have no intentions of seeing that happen again.

I begin to move, an easy walk past those unknowns of my herd. Grass fades to sand and rock, and I pick up the pace into a slow trot. I am in no hurry, or I might have bounded into flight. Instead, I gently settle my wings at my sides, enjoying the warmth of the sun on my back. I'm sure that I stand out like a sore thumb, a speck of white in a sea of golden-red. Note blends in more, with his dusty brown pelt, as does Rowan, a shade of chestnut. Levi, like me, does not quite blend in - the thought of the stallion that had come to me for advice about Phaedra brings a frown to my maw. My heart goes out to him, truly, for I wish that he could find true love as I feel that I have. But I'm just not sure that Phaedra is the mare that he really wants.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Phaedra, and not only because she introduced me to Note. No, I genuinely like her. She was very kind to me the several times we were fortunate enough to meet, and I find myself wondering about her wellbeing quite often. Might I consider her a friend? I think of Rowan, and the connection that we share; I think of Levi, who was very quick to confide in me - two very different friendships, but friendships nonetheless. So where does Phaedra fit in? I suppose I will have to find out.

I might have missed the movement on the horizon if I wasn't habitually scanning my surroundings. As it were, I wasn't sure that I had seen anything at all at first. But, staring at the spot, again I caught the slightest ripple in the desert air. It could be a mirage, of course, but I haven't anything better to do, so I set out in that direction. Sure enough, the little wavering speck grows, blooms into another pegasi, and one I recognize. Well, speak of the devil! I think with a smile. Aloud, I call a greeting, my warm vocals carrying easily through the dry air of the Throat. "Phaedra!" My pleasure at seeing her assures me that she is indeed my friend. Nearer now, I add to my greeting in a softer voice. "I was just thinking about you!"

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia
Don't wanna leave this life knowing I barely tried...
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Deceased
 Phaedra</style>

There was a time that Phae would have felt an anxious panic at being surrounded by so many pegasi. For all her life, Phae had been a flighty creature. She had flirted with men only to win their affections, so that they might protect as one would some shiny gem, or other precious item. Her only defense was to flee - and her abilities in that arena were almost unmatched. She was built for speed, and her life had relied on her God's given abilities more than once. But now?When had she changed? She felt no fear here, only a cool confidence. That must be the Grey's influence on her, surely. Even saying that she was a part of a mercenary group made her feel confident and untouchable. Or perhaps it was the spar she had recently won? Or, perhaps it was Stella...Her life had real purpose - a band, for they weren't quite a herd, and were too cold and distant to be considered a family, and a companion, to look after. She no longer needed to flirt with men for protection, but found that she still liked to do so.

As she moved, a stark figured moved out in the sands before her. While Phae presumed the Throat had many white pegasi amongst them, she recognized Sohalia for who she was, almost instantly. It was almost like looking in a mirror, really. They had similar body structures and were of a similar height.Had Phae been born with one more cream gene, they could nearly have been twins. An excited apprehension grasped Phae as the two neared. This was not like flirting at all...Phae did not know how to act around a mare, not really. I was just thinking about you! Frowning, Phae tilted her head inquisitively, coming to a halt before Sohalia. That was almost precisely what Levi had said, when she had come looking for him as well. "Oh?" She inquired uncertainly, hoping Sohalia's thoughts of her wouldn't end as dramatically as Levi's had.

High above, Stella circled. She was clearly still upset with Phae about being shushed and told to leave that evening in the Grove. But what took place there, was no place for a chick. No place for anyone except for her and Tolio....Still, Stella did not appreciate Phae's need for privacy, nor the fact that she had mentally barred her companion from searching her mind to see what had happened. Stella would not stray from her companion, but nor would she come down and be polite either. She was full of childish arrogance and entitlement, traits that Phae did not appreciate. Better get used to it... her mind warned her condescendingly.

Phae felt the blood drain out of her face, and had to focus steadily to keep her knees from trembling. She needed advice..to talk...maybe just to tell someone! From high above, Stella her tongue angrily, implying that Phae could talk to her, and not this other mare. Shaking her head, the sooty mare sent reassuring thoughts towards the bird, who sent nothing in return. "Uhm.." Phae began tentativley, "Is there somewhere we can talk? I..." But she couldn't finish. All she managed was a helpless look towards the white mare, hoping in some way she would understand.

Sohalia

I might normally have greeted a friend - so many friends I have, suddenly! - with a gentle touch, but I remember thinking that Phae seemed flighty before. She stood now with more confidence than I had seen previously, but still I resist the urge to bump my muzzle to her shoulder in greeting. I would not want to make her uncomfortable. Instead, I look her over, finding mixed results. As I mentioned, she is more confident, and seems much more comfortable in her own skin and in my presence. But there are obvious battle wounds: a scratch on a leg, barely-healed wings. How in the world does she continue to be injured? An uncertain, "Oh?" interrupts my mental questioning, and I offer a smile and a kind laugh. "Nothing bad, Phae, just wondering where and how you've been..."

My vocals trail as something of the old Phaedra (did I know her well enough to call her that?) passes over her features. Fear, perhaps, and anxiety, for a certainty. I frown, concern furrowing my brow and coloring my orbs. "Of course, I will always offer an ear to a friend," I assure her, tossing my head in the direction of the borders. I presume that she does not want to be around the herd in the oasis, and there are few enough spots there that would grant us time alone. I begin to walk, aware of an angrily chattering bird overhead. I glance up, wanting to inquire about the creature, but I also do not want to be rude. Clearly, Phae needs a kind ear, and I would not keep her from talking.

I find myself wondering how I have managed to become the shoulder to cry on, not that I am complaining. In fact, I am very glad that my friends have come to trust me with their problems. I enjoy being able to calm them, to give advice, to offer support. It truly makes me days worth living, and I am glad that Phaedra has joined the ranks of my friends. Briefly, I question how long I can get by without talking of my own problems. But I push them away, as always, making room for everyone else's. For if I only have to think about others, then I will never have to face my own fears. "What's wrong, Phae? You seem..." She seems what? I scramble for a word. "Anxious."

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Deceased
 Phaedra</style>

...an ear to a friend. The magic word, friend.

It had been presumptuous of Phae to assume that they were friends, but perhaps she was not as misguided as she had originally believed. Or perhaps Sohalia was merely a friend and an ear to all who needed it? Still, the sooty mare was in no position to be choosy - there was literally no other that she could call upon. Levi, Apollo, Tolio, were all no's. Ktulu, Ophelia, Tor? Maybe Tor...But she hadn't seen the healer around. No, Sohalia was quite simply all she had.

As Sohalia indicated the way in which they ought to go, and began to move, Phae noticed her bi-coloured gaze land upon Stella for a moment. You ass. Phae thought harshly, mentally chastising herself. She hadn't even said hello, hadn't even asked about Note; some friend I am. Forcing her self to smile at the observance of her anxiety, she tossed her head as if it was nothing. "Do I? I don't mean to." Looking towards the sky at the sulking chick, Phae smiled adoringly. "That little ball of sass up there is Stella. Which reminds me...How are you and Note?" Genuine sincerity crept into her voice, as she inquired about the fair mare's wellbeing.

She would gladly break the neutral-position of The Grey and the Throat to teach Note a lesson, if he needed one. She felt instinctively the desire to protect Sohalia or perhaps it was simply the desire to ensure that she had not made a mistake, by introducing the two. Part of her felt responsible now for Sohalia's love life - a laughable concept given her current situation. But even still, she wished to see no harm, or heartbreak befall the stunning white pegasus. As she waited for a response, she felt her body bristle slightly, as she remembered her first meeting with Note. Had he simply struck her the wrong way? Or was there more to it..?

Feeling Phae's bubbling anger, Stella chirped uncertainly from the skies, letting her small body fall from the air. She neatly extended her wings halting her descent a few inches above Phae's back, landing neatly on her wither. The small black and white chick peered out from behind Phae's sandy cream mane at the dazzling white pegasus. Her bright orangey-yellow face was white with interest. From Phae's mind, she understood that this mare was the reason they were together. During her time with the God of the Earth, she understood that her soon-to-be-bonded was on a quest. It was only now that Stella could put a face to that concept. As much as she wanted to go to the white mare, Stella stayed still and silent on Phae's back. She couldn't pinpoint in what direction her bonded's emotions were directed, and didn't want to instigate anything.

Sohalia

There is something forced about Phae's smile, though she tries to brush off my worry. Am I simply good at reading others in general, or do I sense there is more to it because Phaedra is my friend? She doesn't seem to keen on the subject, so I let it go - for now. I am determined to find out what is bothering her, if only because I know that talking about it may help her to feel more at ease. Following her gaze, I again find myself watching the little secretary bird; glancing down again, I take note of the adoration in Phae's eyes. Perhaps this is the result of her quest to create true love? I file away her name in my memory - Stella - and watch as the creature flits down to land on Phae's withers.

I begin to answer her inquiry as I halt to inspect the bird. "Note and I are doing quite well," I say, my head tilting to the side as I look at Stella. "His work as a warrior keep him busy enough, or I might spend more time with him," I add, my voice full of pride. I am glad to say that my lover is a protector of my herd - my lover, my herd, what a thought! "I never got the chance to properly thank you for bringing us together." I turn my orbs to meet hers. "Thank you." There is something much more meaningful about a thank you if you say it with your eyes, I've found.

"Stella is beautiful," I add, throwing a smile to the young bird. Still, a nagging feeling tugs at the back of my mind. Something was going on with Phaedra, and I want desperately to know what it is. It's not that I want to know as a gossiper, or because I'm nosy; I just want to be sure that she's alright. I think of Levi and the anguish with which he met me only the other day. Did her unease have to do with him? Had he declared his love to her? Should I mention it? This friendship thing is new to me, and I'm not sure what would be overstepping my bounds. I decide on a simple question, having neared the edge of the Throat, and therefore ensuring our solitude. "But you wanted to talk?" I prompt in what I hope is an encouraging tone, my lobes pricked and my attention clearly on her.

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia

Deceased
 Phaedra</style>

Phae felt her protective surge begin to wane as Sohalia spoke adoringly of Note. She heard the pride in her voice as she spoke, and idly Phae wondered what that was like. She had some idea, of course. She had the Grey, Stella...Tolio? her mind suggested. But no, that wasn't quite right. It was as if Phae had pieces of a life that Sohalia was living in full. Would she trade what she had, to be in the white mare's place? She wasn't so sure...Given the drama with Levi that day in the Fields, and again here in the Throat, she wasn't sure if she could handle being tied down.

Phae smiled awkwardly as Sohalia's eyes met hers, in thanks. Typically her looks were full of mischief, or were cast flirtatiously. In all honesty, she didn't quite know how to react to such a genuine stare. Blinking, she fumbled for words, but found none. Breaking their eye contact, she shook her head, trying to rid herself of this feeling of awkwardness. "It isn't like I didn't get anything out of it" She quipped, trying to play down Sohalia's obvious sincerity. Phae sighed with relief as Sohalia directed her attention to the bird, hiding on her back. Sensing Phae's anger had dissipated, Stella trilled happily at Sohalia's comment. She turned her beak upwards, demonstrated the feathers which had begun to protrude from the back of her head, characteristic of her species. Apparently the little bird had inherited her bonded's flirtious and showy nature. Pleased to have been recognized, Stella curled up on Phae's wither, surrounding herself in a tangle of mane.

But you wanted to talk? Phae looked around, grateful that Sohalia had picked up on her implied desire for psudo-secrecy on this matter. She flicked her tail, rolling the thoughts around her mind, as if trying to get a feel for how she wanted to proceed. "I..." But she couldn't go on. Swallowing hard, she could feel a heated blush return to her cheeks, as the events of her night with Tolio unfolded in her mind. Words could simply not explain her feelings towards the situation - they simply weren't enough. Perhaps, it was that Phae herself didn't understand what she felt fully enough to explain. Regardless, there was one concrete piece of information that she did know. Meeting Sohalia's bi-coloured gaze, she took a deep breath. "I think I'm pregnant" She admitted, her voice low and unsure. Quickly, she glanced around, to ensure that no one was around to hear. Satisfied that they were still alone, she focused on the white mare once again, her eyes full of worry and uncertainty.

[OOC: Silly work. Preventing me from posting. How RUDE. :)]

Sohalia

Little Stella struts and preens on Phaedra's back, showing off her beautiful feathers. I smile, chuckling in appreciation of both the bird's personality and her looks. "Yes, Stella, you are just as beautiful as Phaedra," I laugh, shaking my head and returning my gaze to my friend. I do feel bad for making her uncomfortable - I get the feeling that she hasn't got many close friends, especially of the female variety - but I would not take back my thanks. It is important to let her know just how much she has done for me, and that I truly understand and appreciate it. Even if it was done for personal gain, I can tell that she truly cares what the outcome is for me.

"I..." A blush mantles her cheeks. I am left, for a moment, to wonder what manner of news she intends to share with me, that it should render her speechless. I doubt that is a common trend for Phae. Even so, I wait patiently, a kind gaze flickering between her and the little bird nestled in her mane. I wonder if it makes a good nest? Again she draws a breath, prepares to speak, and when she does, whatever I thought was bothering her seems absolutely pale in comparison: "I think I'm pregnant."

I stare at her, my head tilted in confusion. Perhaps it is not the most encouraging response in the world, but Phaedra pregnant? The mare that enjoyed flirting ever-so-much with Levi, to the point that she would become jealous that he flirted with another fae? The dame that didn't want to be tied down? That Phaedra, pregnant??? "I... well... wow, congratulations, Phae!" I stutter, surprise clear in my vocals. I curse myself for allowing my emotions to show so clearly. My smile, however, is true, now that I have gotten over the initial shock. Still, a question nags at the back of my mind: "I... well, do you mind if I ask... who the father is?" Levi leaps to my mind's eye, but I am unsure; have they solved their differences so quickly, in truth? Or would this be from before their argument? Or was it even his at all?

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia

Deceased
 Phaedra</style>

Should she have mentioned it at all? Even as the words left her mouth she was uncertain as to what resolution she was hoping for. Did she want comfort? Advice? Slowly she realized that if Sohalia and Levi were in the same herd...perhaps the mare's alliences would be stronger to her herd-mate, than to a tentative friend? Would Sohalia tell Levi of her transgressions? And then what? Levi would be...well. Actually, what would he be? There was still so much unresolved between the two - his behavior in the fields with Pluto, and then again in the Throat. His behaviour had become more and more erratic around her, to the point where he was so anxious to impress her, that he actually ended up wounding her with his magic. And for what? Did he not see her for what she truly was? He had hinted at wanting to speak with her, and it would not be the first time a stallion had prefaced a moonlight conversation with her that way. Did he love her? Was that it? Phae thought it likely - but evenmoreso, she thought he simply believed he loved her. He didn't even know her at all. You don't know Tolio at all.. a small voice in the back of her mind reminded her. And that was true as well. Could Levi love her the instantaneous way she had loved the cinnamon stallion?

What a mess.

Phae listened as Sohalia stuttered through a clearly-surprised congratulation. Were congratulations in order? She wasn't so sure. "..who the father is?" She heard Sohalia ask. At this, she couldn't help the smile that parted her lips. Tolio...my love. Only, after that night, she found that she was no longer in love with him; though she did love him completely. It was as if the physicality of their night together in the Grove drained all lust from their bodies, leaving only an airy adoration, and unbreakable bond. "His name is Tolio, a stallion of the Basin. He is...well, gay." She admitted, a small laugh escaping her. It really did sound amusing out loud. "He was my bestfriend and then...then we got into an argument. A fight, really, after Leander injured me. It was all because of a mare called Faelene. We didn't see each other for weeks and then when we did..." She paused, exhaling as she remembered. How they had fought. There was a time during those harsh exchanges that Phae thought they were over and done with for good. "But...then something changed between us. Blossomed, and..." She shrugged helplessly, unable to vocalize it. They had gone from screaming at each other to embracing and then finally....

Again her gaze met Sohalia's with confusion and uncertainty. She had never wanted a foal...this was not...not her, not the life she wanted. But she would not regret the night spent with Tolio. It had changed something deep within her; shown her the truest form of herself, and allowed her to share that with him. And only him...

Sohalia

I am still trying to absorb this new information when she answers my question. I admit, I am surprised by her honesty - I had not entirely expected her to give up the name of her lover. Although, by the sound of it, that might not be an entirely appropriate name. How does one make a baby with a gay stallion, I wonder? Not that I'm judging, that's not it at all - it's just that this is so new, and so unexpected, that I find my mind alight with questions. Idiot, I scold myself. Clearly they made a baby the same way everyone else makes babies! It is such an absurd thought, and I suppress a laugh.

As she tells her tale, I can see that she truly does care for this Tolio - though I have to question why she would get involved with someone from the Basin, of all places! With their reputation, I wouldn't dare go near their borders! Even so, I suppose they aren't all bad - especially if she smiles like that when she thinks of him. The smile is short-lived, though, and then a look of uncertainty crosses her features again. She is clearly confused, and my heart goes out to her. No doubt, this is not what she had ever intended. "Well, Phae, as long as he makes you happy... but, I mean, what are you going to do? I can't imagine the Grey is a place to raise a foal." A practical, though perhaps poorly timed question, and again I curse my tongue.

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia

Deceased
 Phaedra</style>

"We aren't...together" She clarified, wincing slightly as she said so. What would Sohalia think of her? It wasn't as if they just had a one night stand...but then again, that was precisely what it was. But it...it was more complicated than that. As Sohalia mentions the Grey, a new wave of anxiety washes over the sooty mare. The Grey! She hadn't even considered that - nor had she considered the racist home that her foal's father lived in. How would the Grey handle her pregnancy? Would she be cast out? If so, where would she go? It wasn't as though she could stay with Tolio, and from their previous conversations, she wasn't so sure he would leave the Basin, given his former allegiance to Mauja. "I....never even thought about it"

Her head dipped low with guilt from the weight of the situation. What would she do? And how would she tell Tolio? What would he think...? Obviously there was a chance that Phae would get pregnant but...well, in all honesty, since she had never been pregnant before, she simply assumed that given the amount of...er...indisgressions she had had in the past, that she simply wasn't fertile. And that was okay with her. "Tolio...he doesn't know. No one does. You're the first." Looking up, she again forced a smile, but an obvious one this time. The situation was a mess, and she knew it.

Sohalia

Already, I have scenarios running through my mind, trying to find the best way to proceed. I feel an obligation to help Phae, not because she has burdened me with her secret, but because she is my friend, and I care deeply for her. "Just because you aren't together doesn't mean he can't make you happy, Phae," I say absently, thoughts whirring in my skull. She hadn't thought of the consequences of becoming pregnant, probably hadn't even thought of the possibility at the time - otherwise, she wouldn't have done it, now, would she? I can see the stress and anxiety on her features, and it pains me.

Oh, screw it, I think and reach out, touching my maw gently to her shoulder. "Hey," I say softly. "It's going to be okay." I am silent then, thinking again, grasping at straws of ideas, trying to decide where to go from here. She has confided in me, and as such, I feel almost that it is a problem that we face. I don't feel like she is alone, and for that, I am grateful, even if it means I must shoulder some of the burden. I hum quietly to myself.

She doesn't have to go through this alone, I decide. She cannot leave the babe in the Basin, that is for sure - if their lead finds out that it is half pegasus, it will not live. It is be even worse if it is born with wings. Nor can she carry it with her during her time with the Grey, for that would be almost as dangerous. I'm not sure what all duties a mercenary has, of course, but I can imagine that not all of them are pleasant. I suppose she could give the youngling up, once it is born, but she would have to find a surrogate mother, or it would die anyway...

"Phae, do you want a foal?"

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia

Deceased
 Phaedra</style>

Hey...It's going to be okay As Phae felt Sohalia's soft muzzle grace her shoulder, everything suddenly became real. I'm pregnant. With Tolio's foal.

Her passion for him had swelled until she could stand it no longer. She had gone to him then, that night in the Grove, feeling absolutely no resistance on his part. Her love for him burned hot and bright, but as he satisfied her need to him, it seemed to quell the flame as well. It still burned within her, but in a much different way. A softer way. She adored the cinnamon stallion, and would always love him. But as the morning's light fell upon them, the realization that they were not meant to stay as lovers was obvious. But now that she was pregnant, the emotional bond between them was further strengthened by this physical connection; the life growing inside of her.

The idea of having created something that was part of both of them, was a beautiful thing. But thinking of it as a foal, was different. Thinking of it as something to be cared and natured for - to endure its adolescence and drama...That was something she wasn't entirely excited about. Phae...do you want a foal? Thinking on this for a moment, Phae realized how truly selfish their act had been. Would they make good parents? Certainly Tolio would but...her? She was no mother - no nurturer or teacher. But nor could she stand the idea of giving up, or doing wrong by something that they created. She shook her head sadly for a moment, looking hopeless and lost. "I never wanted one before, no. But now? Well, it isn't as though there's anything I can do about it."

Phae glanced around, half expecting Levi to show up at any minute. He had a knack for running into her at all ends of Helovia, and this was his herd land, after all. Seeing no one nearing the border, she sighed thankfully. Maybe she could simply hide away, deep in the Deep Forest? She would much rather be suddenly spotted with a foal, than to have others see her with her belly swollen and round. But there was still the question of The Grey. She had worked so hard to try and earn Ktulu's respect...stealing an amulet, sparring, proving her worth as a spy. Phae, not knowing that Ktu herself had offspring of her own, assumed the dark mare would frown on her behaviour, and cast her out.

Sohalia

I have always wanted a foal. For a moment, I wish I could trade places with her, that I could take her pregnancy for my own. It would make things easier, to be sure, on Phaedra at least. And for me, well... it certainly wouldn't bother me. But then, I suppose if we were to trade places, then I would be in the same boat that she was in. I would not have Note. I would not have my herd-family. I would not have my friends. The moment passes, and I am no longer jealous. Nor do I pity her. Her life choices are her own, and she has made them to suit her. I only need look at the bird perched on her back to know that she is capable of finding happiness.

Is this foal an accident? Of a certainty. But is it a mistake? I am not sure that I believe in mistakes. After all, everything happens for a reason; everything we do teaches us something. Perhaps it is, quite simply, this pursuit of knowledge that drives all of us on in life, whether we are apt to admit it or not. But that is a thought for another time. "I never wanted one before, no. But now? Well, it isn't as though there's anything I can do about it." Well, she's right enough about that.

And there's more. I wonder if Levi has confessed his feelings already, and if what I am about to do will break his trust. Perhaps if I don't say that he has spoken with me, I can get away with mentioning it... I clear my throat. "Phae... I just, I have to wonder... well, it seemed like there was something between you and Levi, once?" It is an awkward question, and off topic to boot. I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to ask. To what extent does friendship allow such liberties? Am I doing the right thing? Should I warn Levi not to talk to her, if he hasn't done so already? Should I just let it play out and just console him later?

And the biggest question of all returns to Phae: what are we going to do about her baby?

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia

Deceased
 Phaedra</style>

it seemed like there was something between you and Levi, once

Oh Levi… She thought with a small and sad smile. He had been talking with Sohalia of her? They were in the same herd after all…Or was Sohalia simply this inquisitive all the time? So many unknowns about her new friend, and yet here she was, telling this mare her darkest secrets. Why stop now? "He's been…strange towards me lately." She began, with a frown. "When we first met, it was all fun in games. He seemed enamoured by me as-" Phae noted the way she spoke with a certain amount of pride, as she began to describe how Levi had become enamoured by her, as most men did. Shamefully, she cleared her throat and continued on, her voice much more even and boast-less. "Uhm. I mean, I think he developed a crush on me. I didn't mean to lead him on - I thought he understand that it was all in good fun…He seemed to.." Again her voice trailed off as she looked at Sohalia. So pure. With her herd, and her Note…How could Phae ever explain her flirtatious nature to such a mare?Still, it wasn't as if Sohalia was blind to her actions? Again, swallowing hard, she forcer herself to continue. "..to understand that my intentions, while…flirtatious, were platonic. But…he did grow on me.." She said, smiling fondly. "And then…then we ran into each other, in the fields, and encountered another mare. Levi did something…he…awoke something inside of me, something that desired to know him better. Had this other mare not been around, I would have openly shared my feelings, and do you know what he did?" She asked with an incredulous and bitter laugh. "I knew full well that he had feelings for me - or was beginning to, and that weasel practically threw himself at another mare, right in front of me." Her words were short, and edgy now. "In the long run, I suppose i'm glad it happened. Maybe I read him wrong, and I never interested him anyways. But if I did, the fact that he would touch another mare the way he did, especially with me standing right there?" She shook her head, her nostrils flaring. "Unacceptable.

Her tail snapped with agitation as she remembered that day. She was sure that Levi only meant to make her jealous, and possibly fight for his attention…she was sure that while things were light, he enjoyed having Phae flirt-fight another mare for him. But using her emotions like that? So carelessly?With a small laugh, she raised her eyes to Sohalia's. "Perhaps that is more than your question was asking..There might have been something there once. And i'm sure if and when he finds out that i'm with foal, he'll think he lost me to another stallion. But it was all him, and his arrogance and his games. Besides, he doesn't even know me Sohalia. Sure we run into each other often but…what does that add up to?"

Sohalia

Her story saddened me, more so that Levi's side had. Perhaps it is because I can relate more easily to Phae - she is, of course, my own gender. Regardless, my heart went out to her. "Oh, Phae..." Her pride in her flirtations does not bother me as I reflect on the conversation. In fact, I almost expected it of her. Friendship is not about judgment; it is about accepting your friends for who they are, no matter what they may do. I may not act the same as Phae, but it does not make me any less her friend. She is different than I; if we were all the same, the world would be a boring place.

"Phae, I wouldn't accept such behavior either. I was only asking because, well... I mean, obviously no one can tell right now, but... well, what are you going to do when you start to show? I will do whatever I can to help you..." I am rambling, but my voice is earnest. I reign in my words, take a deep breath. "What I mean to say is that... I'm here for you." I realize that my words are more than true. Phae is my friend, and I would do anything to help her out of any situation. Perhaps this will be my downfall, particularly if I continue to gain friends - but it is simply how I am.

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia

Deceased
 Phaedra</style>

"Hide? In the woods maybe?" Phae replied with a laugh, though there was a certain seriousness there as well. Could she simple hide away? Disappear? It would certainly make things easier. Less questions, perhaps. But of course, there was the question of Tolio. "I suppose I'll tell Tolio and see….see what he thinks? I don't even know what he'll say about all of this."

Phae considered Sohalia's offer to assist her with a solemn appreciation. From the beginning the white mare had been nothing by welcoming and trusting, first with Phae's quest, then with meeting Note. Note… Narrowing her eyes, she looked at Sohalia mischievously. "…You and Note weren't planning on have any foals anytime soon…were you?" She asked hopefully. Hey, if Sohalia could ask about her past with Levi, surely her current love wasn't off the table? And foals? Given their current conversation wasn't a stretch. Then again, what did Phae know of the boundaries and limitations of friendship? This was all just as new to her as pregnancy was. Although suddenly, as she found herself in the midst of both, maybe it wasn't too bad? Mares had foals all the time…It wasn't as if anything drastic would have to change, she'd simply to have reel herself in for a time, that's all. And if she had someone to share the pregnancy with, well, that might make it even better. Of course she wouldn't say that aloud. Even though Sohalia had offered to aid the sooty mare in whatever way she could, bringing a life into the world simply to ease Phae's pregnancy was not something even one as manipulative as Phae, would ask for. At least not in those words.

Sohalia

I frown at her obvious discomfort. As much as it pains me, I offer some words of what I hope are comfort: "I will go with you, if you want, to tell Tolio. At the very least I'll do my best to keep you safe." It's a silly sentiment, I know; she is more than capable of taking care of herself. But when I close my eyes, I see red-eyed unicorns, bloody horns dripping. It is all too real to me, forever a fresh wound. Will it ever heal? My thoughts turn to Note - would he offer his protection, if I should ask? He is a warrior, and better equipped to fight than I. And at the very least, he would want to keep me safe. But no - I cannot ask him to become involved in another's troubles, not when it could put us all in more danger. If she takes anyone, if must be me; two is less noticeable than three. I hope.

"…You and Note weren't planning on have any foals anytime soon…were you?" Note and I? Having foals? So soon? The thought blows my mind, and for a moment, I can only stare at her dumbly. Of course I want foals, and I would love them with Note, but we have only known each other for a short while... and, after all, I don't even know if he wants foals. Would it be presumptuous of me to assume that he would? And if he does, are we ready for the responsibility? Am I ready? Would I even make a good mother? Would Note make a good father? Of course, I chide myself. And yet...

I blush furiously. "I... um... well, I..." I pause, embarrassed. How do I explain to Phaedra, so well-versed in the ways of stallions, that I haven't a clue about breeding and such things? Of course, I know the theory, but only that - in truth, I'm a little afraid of it. And very shy about it. "I... well, of course I want foals, but, um, Note, I don't know if... we haven't talked about... or, or... tried, you know, I've never... um..." My blush deepens, and I am left at a loss for words.

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia

Deceased
 Phaedra</style>

[ooc: Replying in the reverse order to what Soh said]

Noticing Sohalia's innocent uncomfortableness and the blush which coloured her cheeks at the mention of being with Note, Phae couldn't help but smile. She had been with many stallions during her time pre-Helovia, but never had it been like it was with Tolio...She had felt much like Sohalia would feel her first time - excited, nervous, beautiful...Reiterating the gesture that Phae had learned from the snowy mare, she extended her muzzle, softly brushing the side of Soh's shoulder. "The time will come, when the time comes." She said softly, no longer pressing or even hinting that Soh should have a foal with her.

Phae laughed and tossed her head at the thought of Sohalia and herself boldly marching into the Basin to find Tolio. What trouble that would cause for everyone - Surely Tolio would be thrown out, if ever it came to light that he had non-unicorn offspring, and a fight might break out between the Throat and the Basin due to Sohalia's part in it but....Oh Gods..! Phae thought with a sudden wave of panic. She had never even considered how the foal might actually turn out! Eyes widening in alarm she looked to Sohalia, a glowing uncertainty in her eyes.

"The foal! If I'm a pegasus and he's a unicorn...what will the foal be?" Surely Sohalia could see the problem that she was facing? If it was a pegasus, like her, Tolio would almost certainly be forced to leave the Basin...or worse, perhaps. Would he be branded as a traitor? Would their child pay the price for their choices? It seemed there was no winning...If the child was a Unicorn, that would be optimal for Tolio - it could even live in the Basin with him, its lineage unknown, using the Basin for safety until it was older. But if it was a Unicorn....It will never know the skies... She thought sadly. A pegasus child on the other hand, would be forced to live with her, she supposed. In the Grey. With a sigh, she realized that she ought to find Ktu or Ophelia as soon as possible. If she needed to find a new affiliation, she would rather do so before her belly had fully filled with life.

Sohalia

There is a clenching feeling in my gut, but I realize that inside the ball of anxiety, there is a drop of anticipation. It is only a seed, but it blossoms, growing and spreading to warm my body. It is odd that I should feel so worried about something that comes so naturally, is it not? And is it not the season to breed, the best season to ensure the foal's health? If I do not have a foal now, then when would I have one? Next year? Do I want to wait that long? But a good parent would not endanger their child by mating after Birdsong is past, would they? A parent - the thought churns in my mind, rushing like a cleansing river through my viens. Phae's words only soothe me further, her gentle touch a pleasant surprise.

"The foal! If I'm a pegasus and he's a unicorn...what will the foal be?" I meet her gaze squarely, my eyes thoughtful, though not panicked as hers is. I feel a slight tinge of guilt for pulling her into my own worries, for they are obviously very small in comparison to hers, but it passes quickly. I have already decided to help her, and so help her I will, come what may. Still, she vocalizes an interesting question, and I can't help but wonder at the answer. Surely there is a logical answer - after all, we are often born to look like our parents, are we not? And do we not often take specific attributes from each? I know I did.

"Well..." I muse aloud, "if we get genes from each of our parents, then it stands to reason that the foal would be like one or the other. If it's a unicorn, it could go with Tolio, if he'll have it, though... I'm not sure how kindly the Basin would take to a hybrid foal, so they wouldn't be able to know its bloodlines. Is that right? I've only heard rumors..." I shake my head. "Or, if it is a pegasus, then it can stay with you, or, if you needed, I'm sure it would be welcomed here..." I trail off. What if it was some strange combination, a winged-horned mix? What would we do then?

We. As though it's mine! I shake my head. "You have options, Phae, if you don't want to keep it with you all the time, or if you ever need a babysitter, or... anything." Again I extend an offer of help. I'm sure it's getting repetitive, but isn't Phae the independent sort? Wouldn't she wave away help unless it were absolutely crucial that she take it? Or was I reading her all wrong?

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia