the Rift

rubies in your eyes, open

Israfel Posts: 54
Hidden Account
Filly :: Tribrid :: 16.1 hands :: 2 Years
Sparrow

Israfel Azardokht

Standing before the darkest forest she has ever seen, Israfel contemplates her courage and devotion.

But she loves him more than anything.

The days spent after their reunions are hazy, inconsequential; he swims in her head like a flower in a gasoline puddle, but the match has been lit and the whole world explodes with fire. She sees him in every beat of her heart, every passing flame - he is her world, and she will never let him down.

A sunflower is tucked behind her ear, among so many other fire flowers, braided through a steadily growing mane. To her delight, the tips of her hair are gilded and sparkle as well as any precious metal in the sun - yet another proof of her divine heritage. The passing months have been kind to the child, but she is as gangly and long-legged as any rapidly growing youth. How lucky I am to have such a magnificent father, she thinks, remembering her face, sighing happily while eyeing the impossibly tall trees before her, their branches snapping and crackling together ominously. The sun glows overhead, radiating summerlike warmth onto her pale coat, but she shudders, any ounce of joy dripping off her face like kerosene off a damned man's fingers. "Give me strength," she whispers, tentatively stepping a cloven hoof into the forest's threshold, and another, and another, until her radiant coat is drenched with gloom. This forest is unlike the one of her home, which glows green with light, insects droning in pools of sun and the sea's song crooning from the near distance.

The demigoddess stumbles over a skull in her high-headed fear, the crunch of rotting bone beneath her feet sending the girl reeling backwards, her fear nearly palpable. A horn, cracked and broken, crowns the grotesque thing like some feeble triumph. Her breath comes in gulps, sides heaving with adrenaline and fright. I must not run. Fueled by aberrant, morbid curiosity, the child steps forward, pink nose shoved forward. It smells of rot and decay, of life draining away to the pine needles beneath. In a fit of pity, the girl finds the sunflower from her hair and lays it carefully beneath the beast's horn. She leans back, admiring her work, but a flash of red catches her eye, and suddenly her ballerina legs lurch toward it, and she finds herself at the mouth of a small pool, lined with bloody jewels. They sparkle in her wide, luminous eyes like greed. She edges her way gingerly towards the tallest sentinel she has ever seen - it stands hopelessly taller than its neighbors and throws an even longer shadow. Pink lips taut with determination, she dips a hesitant hoof into its depths, sharping sucking in the sweet-smelling as the cold fluid envelops it. Another leg follows, until both her forelegs are submersed to the knee. Her golden feet glitter beneath the water, and they slide over the smooth, ruby facets. The reflection is a pretty girl, a tall girl, pale as death with wings like angels and an elk's horn perched on her forehead, but her eyes are red, redder than the gemstones beneath her heels. When the light enters them, though, they explode into shades of gold and orange, and she almost laughs.

What now?

Without hesitation, she submerges her face, horn scraping awkwardly against the bottom. In a rush of bravado, she lodges its tip beneath a gem, neck straining to loosen it. When it begins to falter, she jerks her head upward, water cascading from her delicate marble features. With little more than a nudge of the tip of her hoof, the garnet loosens completely, and she brings it to shore - it sparkles like new blood in the dim sun. Wet as a dog, Israfel heaves a sigh of relief and admires her work.

Aswane Posts: 12
Hidden Account
Filly :: Equine :: 15.1 hands :: Yearling
Tay

ASWANE

Jara sang, his song a weapon in the hands of love, you know his blood still cries from the ground

Aswane feels hope settle in her eyes. It is a warm, homely settlement for the wandering child. It is not that she is lost in the shadows of the mighty trees, but she is forgotten in their stillness. Her hooves pierce the ground quietly, sinking into the ancient carpet of decayed leaves. She feels like a sleuth in the tall shadows, veiled beneath the slumbering guard of the magical authoritarians. They watch her between closed eyes, dancing among the wide trunks, pale tail flicking gingerly to swat the ancient bark. Her green eye adjusts to the darkness, pupil growing wider than ever. She is hardly afraid in the cool comfort. Aswane’s one good eye watches ravens rattle the branches above every once in a while, their own black eyes watching as if she’s a meal for a larger, more dominant predator. However, the filly doesn’t notice the dangers of nature; she accepts them in her spiritual chakras and walks on, deeper and deeper into the grove. Her heart pulsates with the resonating growth of unseen life around her. She can feel the forest spirits hum through her cleft hooves.

She is honey for a bear here. Alone and vulnerable in the depths of formidable shade. The filly walks on legs like matchsticks that could dexterously breach to the jaws of a wolf or other monster. No one could guess how many are watching, eyes foul, curdled blood rims in the bushes, waiting to steal the flesh from her chest. But the filly continues to walk through the shadows of mere death, fearless by such ignorance.

The tunnel of gorse gives way for her, and little blotches of weak sun stretch down to the leafy carpet. A bird caws in the distance, and her one good green eye flickers under a blinking eyelid. She draws back as her sight falls on to the pale, swan-like figure of Israfel. Aswane immediately gasps, and her blood freezes, both eyes, blind and healthy stare wide at the winged filly. She was an aspiration, a pallid figurine, so perfect, nearly glowing with youthful beauty and divine allure. The flowerchild nears, footfalls timid for once among the quiet woods. The pale filly ahead is boisterous, her own splashes echoing through the dark wood. Aswane nears her, coming beside her holding unknown grace in her step.

She stops where the ruby water gives way to gem, much like an ocean would to sand. Her star-marked head gleams at the ambrosial child, smiling behind a twig tangled puff of forelock. " Hello, " she says shyly, dipping her own thirsty muzzle to the dazzling surface. Aswane watches the filly, her attention absorbed in the fragile gaiety of the pool's red ruby. " That stone you have is sure beautiful. Only a god could create something of such charm. "

[Image: aswanetable.png]

Frost Fyre Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Altair :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast prissy

Frost Fyre
You Can Never be Too Young

My heart seems to skip a beat every time I hear something howl or hoot or just make a noise in general. I walk slowly, glancing at every shadow and tree. My ears are flicked back in fear, and a small foal like me wouldn't stand a chance against the dark forces of this forest.

My emerald orbs are constantly flicking towards anything that moves. Fear has clutched at my heart, consuming my body in fear. But I was to stop it. And quickly. With a quick few movements I began to race through the woods, weaving my way through trees and shrubbery. Fear began to loosen it's grip, I had been thinking that if I couldn't see the shadows and other creepy things because I was moving too fast I wouldn't have to fear them.

Smart, very smart. I compliment myself, a slight smirk plastered across my face. As I dash through the woods I hear something. And it wasn't those animal noises from earlier. It was some one speaking. Another horse, but the voices sounded older. Not too old but older than me but younger than mother. I slow my pace, walking towards the voices. There I spot a silver bay filly and a beautiful cremello filly. I notice that the cremello has wings and a horn, making her a hybrid.

I look down to the beautiful sparkling ruby sitting at the feet of the soaked cremello. I peer into the water, seeing more of the glittering red rubies. My eyes grow wider as I turn back to her."Wow! That's a very beautiful gem you have." I smile, tilting my head. I see these beautiful golden designs all over this cremellos' wings, and stare in awe, trying to memorize their exact design.

I turn to the other filly, giving her a smile too. Although I was younger than these two I wouldn't care about it, so long as they didn't tease me or anything. I stare deeply at the beautiful gem once more. It wasn't an amulet, for the one I kept had a smooth surface. And it wasn't all sparkly. I can't keep my eyes off the gem, the pristine shine of it is so mesmerizing.

After a few short moments I snap back, returning my emerald gaze to the two older lassies that stood before me. I wait for one of them to speak and break the silence.

"Chatting with others."
Thinking up her moves
Putting her moves to work

Israfel Posts: 54
Hidden Account
Filly :: Tribrid :: 16.1 hands :: 2 Years
Sparrow

Israfel Azardokht

The daughter of fire is not alone for long.

A quiet gasp alerts her of another's presence; she raises her curious vermilion eyes to behold a pretty earth-colored girl, a little older than herself, watching her with mismatched eyes. This girl seems to be born of the earth herself, twigs and leaves tangled haphazardly through her pale forelock, threading through the hair like old friends. Israfel tilts her head in curiosity, momentarily forgetting the glistening ruby at her feet. The older filly draws closer, and the albino offers her a gracious smile, admiring how the muted sun strokes her handsome coat. "Hi," she responds brightly, voice resonating through the silence like light in a dark room. An ear flicks backward, and she watches the earthy girl drink, listens to the gentle alto of her voice. A broad smile dances on her pink lips as the silver bay's words trickle through her ears. "My dad made it," she is sure of it; how could something of such beauty be untouched by his brilliant fingers?

Not soon afterward, another filly joins their small gathering. She is small, young, with white splattered on her haunches. Both ears tilt backwards, and she studies the new girl through narrow eyes. "I know," she murmurs to the appaloosa, shuffling her wings as the bay studies them, sunlight catching gold in brilliant glowing veins. "It's for my dad" she adds awkwardly, noticing green eyes watching her ruby intently. A slender foreleg finds the gem and slides it back over the stone, the coolness of its facets burning the back of firegirl's limb. Her red gaze wavers between the two girls, wondering what they'll say next.

Aswane Posts: 12
Hidden Account
Filly :: Equine :: 15.1 hands :: Yearling
Tay

ASWANE

Jara sang, his song a weapon in the hands of love, you know his blood still cries from the ground

The cool ruby water slides down her throat, quenching what thirst devour her senses. Her tongue peeks through her lips, skidding against the glimmering facets of the pool's bottom. The chill lingers in her mouth as she takes a final swallow, pulling her mouth away from the delicacies below. Aswane glances behind her, hearing more hooves press into the carpet of leaves. The one behind her is another filly, cloaked white in a speckled dress of hair. Her dark muzzle lights up in smile, nodding in greeting to the young unicorn. She is around the same age as Israfel, and Aswane stands much taller than them, however she feels no different.

"My dad made it,"

Israfel's voice throws her mind off balance, and brings back memories she'd rather not remember. The girl remembers all too well locked away in her sister's care at that age, she never received the love of a mother or father and only her sister's youth could contain the boundless mind and heart that she owned. She remembers them as the albino mare speaks about how her father made the red gems. She can't help but find a small chuckle in her throat soon replaced by a smile.

"Your father must have been gifted by the gods then, to make such precious gems." She wishes she could think so highly of her own father, but abandonment only ignites more so in her soul. It makes a tremble wave in her brain. She feels lost amongst such joy. All at once she feels opposite. Aswane finds her smile fading away as the new filly approaches. Her one green eye flicks to Frost Fyre who comes with such delicate unicorn grace. She wants to forget the history and move on, but it all seems to collide in her brain like giant waves against a small town. Pain soars high in her heart and she looks again to the marvelous gems, seeking distraction.

A moment passes, and she returns eyes with Fyre and Isra completely forgetting anything they might have said, so she changes the subject.

"My name is Aswane by the way." The silver bay remembers posture and holds herself up, ears erect and mouth a smile again. "What are your names?"

[Image: aswanetable.png]