the Rift

Goldmining, or something

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu

I arrive within the Heart in a scatter of bird wings as a flock of sparrows descends. I hop around the ground on small feet, wings a blur that scatters ink droplets as they move so fast. I peck experimentally at the ground, as I have seen birds do, but my beak flattens against the unyielding soil. Persistent I continue to stir through the towering field of grass and the edge of the Heart, but much to my disappointment there are no glittering gems ripe for the picking on this topsoil.

Frustrated and mostly just lazy, the sparrows dart back together, whirling in the air for a minute before re-emerging as a badger. I fall to the earth with silence, ink staining my seat in a ring of black. I ignore the obvious information this tells me, proceeding to wear into the ground with my able claws. Though onyx in color they may be, in substance they are not. The inken paws mash against the dirt, but again it does not stir.

Useless I think with a grim line spreading on my facade. Huffing in quiet defeat I disperse into a rain of darkness, pattering upon the soil with a soft hush. For a while I am content to remain this ruined pool of substance slowly leaking into the soil, but it will not assist me in my needs. Grunting inwardly I yank myself back into composure, the ink building me back into a horse of flesh and blood and whatever else I'm made of (misery and bitterness).

I slam a hoof against the topsoil. I find with some modicum of satisfaction that it finally begins to yield. Yet the indention is mild and I know I will be left to dig for a while. Resigning to my fate with a whistle of breathe passing my nose, I begin to paw with a pace against the heated dirt, eyes sharp for the glimmer of a gemstone being revealed.

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

Leaves and pine needles cling to the lightness of his mane, tangling themselves without knotting up the hairs much to his almost fond amusement. Little can actually bother him, and with a few head shakes they are reluctantly leaving the home they'd made in his mane. Caressing his shoulders in a last goodbye as he leaves the trees and makes his way towards the heat of the land's Heart. It is a place he has not explored, yet one he has wanted to for a while now. As he approaches, dirt hardens into a type of clay that hooves click on gently. Signaling his inevitable approach to whomever remained by the Heart's warmth. Little foliage remains the farther he strides, baby blue eyes locked on the dancing flames and embers that meet his gaze. It flickers in their reflections, and he knows he should fear what all horses naturally fear. Even so he cannot, for it is contained. It seems to live, to breathe. Beating under the ground as if its blood ran in veins all throughout Helovia, giving the land itself life. It excites something a bit more primal inside him, wings flaring out and catching the vibrant light of the flames as they illuminate his lightly colored feathers. Casting his body in a shade of red, like a phoenix. A phoenix and a lion, he chuckles to himself inwardly. Remembering Ink's drawing upon first meeting the mute.

Speaking of, he is distracted by the flickering and changing of something black around the edge of the Heart's territory. Gaze widening when it transformed again to a form he knew and was actually just thinking about. Thrilled to have met him, though wondering what he was doing slamming his hoof into the ground, Kaj nickered out softly and tucked in his wings again. No longer feeling that strange urge to empower himself, instead trotting over to Ink to greet him. Wisp of a smile is on his face as he greets the shadowed stallion, needing no words to show he is delighted to have found him in such a strange place. "Hello, friend." Deep rumble heartfelt and meaningful, two words that clearly displayed that he thought of Ink as a close friend. Kaj had found his presence far more intriguing when he'd been accepted, though Aaron was a wonderful protector and a skilled fighter. He had been meaning to seek him out again, but had not found the time to as sad as it was. Not that his ever whirring mind helped, of course. But no matter, he was here now.

Ree Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
[Image: reej.png]

Fascination.

From the shelter of the Heart’s tall grasses the young mare watches, wide eyed and captivated, the sight that unfolds before her. Ree has taken to wandering amidst the heat of Helovia’s Heart in her spare time, not brave enough to wander any farther from the conjured protection of the Throat’s boundaries, but curious enough that the herd lands could not assuage her inquisitive – if manic – inclinations. The flock of birds, black specks flitting frenzied against the backdrop of a smoky blue sky, catches the bay’s attention immediately. Childlike allure shines in the depths of her golden eyes, previously unaware that what she sees is anything more, until suddenly the sparrows disappear as they melt simultaneously into a whirl of inky black within the air. Ree shifts, jumps, petite head held high upon her slender neck as she careens over the tops of the tall grass to watch the badger fall to the earth in a heap of inky dampness- obsidian droplets cast in every direction upon impact.

Was it magic? Or witchcraft? Enthralled and terrified all at once, she dares to draw a little closer, hooves stopping at the last edges of the grass the kept her slender frame hidden from view. Eyes, wide as saucers, cannot believe what they see, for soon the badger has disappeared as well. In its place stands a stallion, ebony coat as dark as a moonless night sky, persistently digging at the sandy soil of the Heart, seemingly unaware that he is being watched. She teeters dangerously on the edge of revelation, the temptation of stepping from the tall, wild grass all but driving the bay mare forward. Ree hovers between indecisiveness and uncertainty, heart pounding, thoughts racing, weighing the odds of whether or not this odd horse was a potential friend or deadly foe.

She is distracted by the arrival of the Pegasus, and for a moment she is encouraged, thinking that perhaps this unfamiliar wind walker might be one of the throat, an unknown brethren. The warm breeze that rolls over the living land of the Heart’s desert tells her otherwise, nostrils flaring, gears shifting and turning in her head as she realizes that their scent is foreign and alien to her. Almost immediately her aforementioned bravery is lost, taken just as easily as the particles of sand swept up by the wind. Anxiety overcomes her, and she intends to spin away and dive back into the safety of the endless maze of the Heart’s tall grass. As she plans to do so, she chides herself for thinking that a second foray into the wilderness had ever been a good idea. However, Ree’s escape is foiled rather quickly. Instead of cleverly dashing away unseen, her hooves become a tangled mess of uncoordinated movements, and with a rather ungraceful squeal she falls backwards and right out of the tall grass she had been hiding in.

She lands, unceremoniously and clumsily, at their feet.

Off I go.
Where I fall, is where I land.

table by imi

Hidden Account
Blu

So intent am I in my work, hooves diligently chipping away at hard earth that resists me, that I do not notice Kaj until his voice crawls up my spine and slips into my ears.

I startle, head flinging skyward and body shuddering with ill-contained motion. In one instant I am ready to bolt and to flee, but in the same fraction of that moment my reason drowns out my instinct and I stutter at a standstill. Tense muscles gradually begin to uncoil as the familiar face registers in my mind eye further, producing a sheepish smile from my lips for my foolish response. I am normally not so jumpy, but being focused tends to make you forget the rest of the world.

I stroke out a lion for him in an easy movement of my tail. The black cat with its regal mane leaps forward and playfully jumps around the pegasus in my method of greeting. I must say I am thrilled to see him. His strength surpasses mine and I wonder if he'd be more capable at unearthing the... earth. Of course this really should be my task since it will be my reward, but again the laziness overwhelms me and I am reminded that friendship is for this very incident, having others help you with deeds you find unsavory.

I grin.

As I move to begin to try and explain, I am interrupted by the abrupt and rather graceless introduction of a stranger. Her absurd position on the ground would normally strike me as comical, but I find my mirth rather lacking considering it appears she'd been spying from the brush. I am instantly wary that she is some spy of the Basin attempting to stealth us away from our homes. My inky lion turns from its joyful romping with Kaj to lung in front of us both, a silent roar bellowing from its gaping maw.

My eyes have become suspicious slits of glittering onyx, my ears straining so far forward they may be likely to pop off my skull, but once more my reason comes to my rescue. If she is a sneak she is a terrible one, to end up in a situation like this, and already I can see the worry tracing along her facial structure as she is likely fraught with embarrassment and anxiety. If she isn't careful she'll get old mare wrinkle lines before her time.

I quirk a smile on my lips and disperse the lion to black butterflies that drift lazily towards her, an apology for my rash reaction. I bow my neck and loosen my stance to one more casual, glancing coyly at her from the corner of my vision as I try and focus on Kaj's reaction.

Meanwhile the earth isn't digging itself up.

Ebony bodice jumps as if electrocuted, tension rippling up the dark expanse before Ink’s mind could catch up to the situation and realize that the golden brute wasn’t a threat. Instead of running as Kaj had expected, the lanky stallion froze completely as if struck by a wave of ice from within. Patiently he waited for understanding to dawn on his mind, and when it did sheepish smile spread across young features. Buttery lips spread slowly in a mixture of amusement and joy at having found the slim youth in such a strange place, always enjoying his presence. Inability to speak didn’t bother him, though it certainly made the faux-mute speak far more than he was accustomed to. Stroke of tail brings forth the image of a large cat, same as the one that had greeted him the day his hoof had set upon the earth of the Edge. It leaps about, playful and innocent yet still regal in appearance, and a deep chuckle shakes Kaj’s chest happily. Wings flaring about and stomping his forehooves gently in response, as if he is playing with the creature that does not have real life. He knows this and yet is amused and comforted by the familiar image that Ink has apparently connected to him. With the glow of red around him from the fires of Helovia, perhaps it is not far from the truth. Kaj doesn’t find himself regal, but is…not quite flattered, but he is at a loss of words for the warmth he feels that Ink finds him important in any way. Ink is really the only soul Kaj finds to be a friend, though he is older than him.

Grin makes brow arch in interest, wondering what it is the sly youngling is thinking. Perhaps he isn’t that young but to Kaj he is still new and fresh, despite his maturity. Crash and flurry of wings alerts him to the appearance of another Pegasus, one that startles the both of them. Liquid lion roars into silence, leaping forth to protect them though Kaj does not know if it can cause actual damage. Uncomfortable position of wings is nearly comical, but Kaj is in no mood for laughter when he realizes the female had been spying. At least that is what she appeared to have been doing. One long stride brings him nearly even to Ink’s side before he can think or realize that she is not in the wrong. All he can think in that instant is that she may be a threat, and he is not willing to be caught unaware. Females have long since been more magically inclined in his life and he does not doubt their power, individual or otherwise. He towers over her far more than Ink, but only now does he stand at full height. Large wingspan flaring out, pretty baby blues turning into shards of suspicious ice.

For a few moments that is how he remains, staring at her with body prepared thoroughly for battle. Only once he has taken her in, the embarrassed and nervous look on her face, does visage fall into shy apology and wings tuck in close. No need to scare her even more by making himself looking larger than he already is. Backing away so that his shoulder is level with Ink’s flank, he cast a shy smile in her direction, feeling quite bad for having reacted on such pure instinct. Ink seems to realize it too, for the lion morphs into butterflies and Kaj briefly entertains the wonder of how they can fly if they are made of ink. ”My apologies. Instinct. I am Kaj. And you, Miss?” Polite and interested, but not as warm as he was with Ink. Again Kaj is distracted, though this time it is by the slight dent Ink has made in the earth. Curious eyes turn to him once more, and solidly thumps one umber hoof against the ground with a questioning look. It appears to him he’s digging, and silently questions if he wants help, if he’s correct.

Unregistered
Ree.
Embarrassment.

Ree’s cheeks, were they capable, would have turned bright red in humiliation. Quickly she flounders to her hooves, stirring up the red dust of the Heart in her hurry, slender legs flailing miserably as scrambles in mortified panic. Both of the stallions immediately took the defensive, eyes suspicious and glaring, the wind walker’s wings unfurled and furious in the vast reach of their width. As she rises up out of the desert sand, fine, crimson soil coating her skin in an earthen sheen, she instantly steps backwards, head lowered and the curvature of her ears flat and subserviently drawn against the crown of her skull. She was no sneak; no creature of deception and strife, or dishonesty and malevolence. There was no room for such treachery and well thought out chaos in the confines of her ever tumultuous thoughts, riddled with the ignorance of her own innocence as she pondered in blatant naivety the dangers of this world that could consume her. Her hazel eyes are wide, doe like in their petrified fear, and they fall on the ink like apparition at the stallions feet- a miniature lion, mouth gaped and appearance vicious. The bay mare all but shrinks into the tall grasses at her back, wishing she could disappear, so overwhelmed was she from the ferocity before her.

Flee. Her mind screams at her to flee, to spin away and run back to the safety of the Throat. But just as her terror nearly drives her to bolt from the presence of these strangers, something changes. The looks of mistrust and misgiving soften, disperse, and are replaced with the curious eyes of kindness and amiability that were not previously there. The tiny lion that had roared its silent dissension of her appearance disappeared in a flutter, shadow, inky black whirling into the form of butterflies that glide in languid content on the warm breeze that floats past her. Bashful and withdrawn, she stands in nervous silence, eyes locked in fascination on the butterflies that hover just inches from her face. They were beautiful, the ebony creatures fluttering against the red of the Heart’s soil, and she reaches out toward one in timid adoration as it flies past her. The winged stallion looms beside his obsidian friend, his fair coat composed of creamy white and granite gray, and he offers her words of condolence and greeting in a uniform fashion. He does not introduce the second stallion though, and Ree glances at him briefly as she stands in unabashed trepidation, surrounded by the butterflies he had cast in her direction, hazel eyes hopeful in their warmth.

“Hello Kaj,” The young girl’s reply is meek, mild, and she tries to calm the racing of her heart as she follows the path of the butterflies circling about her. “I am Ree.”

She watches as Kaj motions toward the image painter with a keen strike of his hoof to the ground, and she takes note of where the black stallion has also begun the arduous process of unearthing whatever it was they were looking for. Natural curiosity makes the bay mare wonder what might lie beneath the surface of the desert sands that might be so valuable that they would hunt for it, but she would never ask. She also takes note of the way in which the two before her act, in a code of gestures and maneuvers that manipulate action into meaning, and she recalls that she had not yet seen the creator of the butterflies speak in the entirety of her time spent watching them from the tall grass. Humbled, sheepish, Ree remains where she stands, dread of what they might say or think of her keeping her from saying any more than she already has.

Hidden Account
Blu

An amused sort of line flutters onto my lips as an ear turns towards Kaj. I cannot help but wonder if he always speak so little, or if he's influenced by my silent company. Normally the quiet goads others to prattle on needlessly or to raise their voice, as if I'm hard of hearing and not dumb of tongue.

A few however, like Kaj, seem to adapt to my world.

For instance, rather than ask me what I'm doing Kaj meanders over to my dig site and thumps his large hoof against the ground with a questioning ring. I arch a 'brow at him, my mirth only expanding at this game of charades. I have always had the luxury of listening to others - never have I experienced the need to decipher. Of course I understand body language, likely better than most, but it has always been a supportive knowledge for me, not wholesome. I have always had my eyes and my ears to listen, but now Kaj has snuffed the latter out.

Kaj has become me, and I him.

Were it a different scenario and me the question asker rather than the giver, I might have felt more uncomfortable and better understood the frustration of my peers when dealing with me. As it is I brush towards him effortlessly; my steps go unheard save for the kiss of wet fluid being left on grasses which spring back to height.

I glance sidelong at the mare - Ree, she said her name is - as I position myself back above my meager indentation. I am glad she did not run off, as her flesh seemed to suggest she was in want to do before (who can blame her?). Boyishly I wonder what she thinks of us, Kaj and I, but perhaps selfishly I'm especially curious what she thinks of me. Did she like my little butterflies? Do I enchant her, or is my lack of speech a grotesque deformity and a display of weakness?

I sigh.
It's a low dismal sound; the noise of my brief affections for the pretty mare deflating under the weight of my unsubstantialities.

I wrench my attention back to my task at hoof, reminded how eager I am to complete it now that the pain of self-worth, or lack thereof, eats away at my conscious like a raw scab on a knee. I throw a black gaze to Kaj to instruct his attention, and then I drive my hood down purposefully into the ground. As I do this my ink has poured under my hoof, and as I lift it I reveal my dark drawing of a hidden gemstone. Another strike - some ink squishing around my hooves by mistake - and as I draw away the ink gem rises and fits about Kaj's neck on a chain of dark water.

I'm looking for an amulet. Or at least, the stone of one. Two, actually.

It is not until the female glanced at Ink’s bodice did I realize that I had not introduced my dear friend. The blame lays on my shoulders alone, for I am used to his presence and his silence. I tune myself into him, accommodate him. I’ve never been much of a talker, and yet we have such glorious conversations without uttering a single syllable. Feeling rather foolish for having not recognized my mistake, I nearly didn’t catch the dame’s title. It is tiny, as if she is a mouse and I a hawk. Again I feel guilty, and wish I did not react in such a way every time I suspected a threat. It is instinct for me to protect those weaker than myself, and even to place myself between danger and those stronger. Years of protecting my Mage have given me reactions I cannot hold down, the urge to keep Ink from harm far stronger than my hesitance to scare a woman. Ink starts to walk then, and my gaze moves from the young woman over to him, always watching. There is so much more to speaking that actual words, and I read his face as he glances at Ree. Gaze flickers and I catch it, see the resignation and almost depression in his orbs. It saddens me, and I wonder if he ever hates being stuck in a world of cotton with nothing but his images to converse with. I’ve never felt that way, always being a rather quiet man, but he is still very young and new to the world. Yet he is so mature, and I wish he would act more his age. It is almost saddening to see him so resigned, and I wonder what he is upset over. Is it Ree? And then I mentally slap myself in the face. Of course it’s Ree! There will always be a desire to find a soulmate, no matter how young, and I wish he would have more confidence in himself. If I could, I would turn into the mouse and give my spirit to him, to make him a midnight lion that he deserves to be.

My gaze speaks of this, spelling it all out for him in a language I know he can understand. Sympathy, a desire to protect, even familial love. Pain, for he does not deserve this lifestyle. Admiration, for he is certainly an impressive youth for having to get along so well with his disability, should one consider it that. My heart aches for him, and a low sigh tumbled from my lips. I feel far too fatherly thinking such things, and wonder if I’m getting old. In my old herd I would have already been expected to have settled down and start rearing kids. You big lonely blob, stop dwelling on how awkward you are, I chide myself. Slamming of ebony hoof into hard ground makes me glance up to focus on the youth once more, and as the ink swirls around my neck I understand. Brushing a wing his way to move him from that spot, urging him slightly towards Ree. Remembering only now that the conversation I have thrust at him has taken time away from introducing him to Ree. ”This is Ink, my brother,” is all I say, for it is all I need to say. We are so different, he and I- a lion and a fox, a giant and a runner, a black rose and a golden sunflower. There is no way we are related, and yet I call him brother. For he is. The sea runs in our veins, and that is what ties us together regardless of the blood that mixes with it. They are both so young and I actually feel a bit awkward standing there between them, almost onto my sixth season. I push it away and focus instead on the dent in the earth. Folding my leg close before striking down hard, pushing up a good amount of dirt. Again and again I strike at it, muscular shoulders nearly humming with joy at the prospect of work. This is what I am made for, and everything that normally attracts my ADHD fades away into white noise. I am built for work, and that is what I do now.

Unregistered
Ree.
Loneliness is a terrible thing. Ree can’t help the small ache of sadness as the butterflies slowly disperse and fade away into nothing, and she wishes that it were only so easy. To diminish one’s self completely, to be invisible and untouchable, granted freedom from all the ailments in this world, of the body and the heart. The bay mare’s attention returns to the strangers she has found herself conversing with, and she watches the two with bashful reservation, hazel eyes bright and curious, doe like and innocent. There is something that exchanges between them, a fleeting emotion she cannot name, but it lingers in the winged stallions eyes, and the shadowed boy seems subdued. She attempts to meet his dark eyes, but his glance is fleeting, and the sigh that he expels disheartens her, and again she contemplates simply slipping back into the tall grass from whence she came. Did she bother them? Was she simply another irritation in their day?

Uncertain and without confidence she shuffles her hooves in the sand of the Heart, eyes down cast and watching the dust curl up in lazy figures like smoke into the air. She catches a glimpse of the obsidian stallion, so much smaller in stature than his winged companion, painting a picture, like liquid black around Kaj’s neck. Tentative, unsure of her place within this unlikely triangle, she tries to watch without being too forth right, too obvious, afraid of what retribution she might receive if caught. She is fascinated though, drawn to the obsidian boy’s pictures with childish glee, and perhaps with the boy himself- because he is different, and so is she.

“This is Ink, my brother.”

Kaj’s kind voice fills the silence, warm and deep and comforting. Ree’s ears flit atop her petite head amid the mess of her windswept forelock, and she beams at the winged stallion with appreciation. She begins to understand as she studies the dynamic further, though she believes she understood before, that Ink’s pictures are his words. Kaj is a good soul, an individual who is innately virtuous, and Ree can sense the benevolence in him, the sincerity of his character palpable like the beat of a steady heart. He speaks for Ink, when he cannot speak for himself, though speech is defined in many ways, and she thinks that his pictures do just as well. But through actions Ree can tell without being told that Kaj cares for his friend, his brother, and she yearns for the same affection, the same belonging. It is something she has yet to find, though not for lack of trying.

Gathering the mustard seed of courage that she has left, she attempts to be bold and looks toward Ink again as Kaj brandishes his wing, a sheepish grin at the edges of her lips, summer green eyes bright and impish as she watches them both.

“Ink.” She says simply, sweetly, testing his name like the first cool sip of water during a tallsun morning. After a brief moment of hesitation she cautiously moves forward toward them both, and then with careful attention she drags her own hoof through the red sand of the Heart’s soil, though her purpose is unlike theirs. Though it is rudimentary and hardly artistic, the outline of a butterfly slowly appears at before their hooves. Ree steps back when she finishes, a childish grin of accomplishment chasing away any hint of fear that previously hindered her as she admires her work.

Hidden Account
Blu

Kaj has always proven easy to communicate with, and for that I am grateful. He grasps my message quickly, and without even needing to be asked in some round about manner of pictograms, he immediately sets himself to the task. He is the type that enjoys labor. Personally I've never been into the whole sweating thing.

His wings cocoon me for a moment and I am blinded by tawny feathers. It's a strange experience that causes me to seize up with the unfamiliarity, my muscles wound tight and body high and thin like a stretched out skeleton by the time he unwraps me. Somewhere along the way my feet shuffled over, but I don't recall.

Amid the chaos of motion I become aware that Kaj has introduced me, though I admit I am thoroughly shocked he knew my true name. Thus far only the gryphon Merakerr, what a lovely accent she has, knew what substance I produced and thus what namesake I am given. Until now it has always been a myriad of uncertain nicknames heralding my arrival, which although cute, had always been frustrating. I wonder if Kaj knows of ink substance as well, or if Merakerr has been flying around whispering it in the ears of those who met me. I like to think it's the latter, just for fun.

I glance slyly back at Kaj, the curiosity burning like dark fire in the pit of my gut, shining through my abyssmal eyes. I am distracted by the softer humm of my name from the larynx of the mare, Ree. I turn instantly, ears sharp with their alertness and eagerness to hear more of my name being murmured shyly by pretty girls. I tilt my head as she says nothing more and slowly my excitement begins to recede back into crushing self-doubt, but then she does something I hadn't expected and scooches closer. Just as I'm debating doing the same, she bends over the ground and begins to dig for me. Well, I think, there went that shot.

With my lower lip jutting out in mild disappoint I go to turn my own attention back to the dirt, but I pause, recognizing a difference in the sounds made by Kaj and Ree. Where his is a rhythmic thudding, Ree's is like a constant whine as hoof scours earth. I glance back towards her, unconsciously creeping right up beside her to watch what so intensely holds her focus. Before long she draws back. I am perplexed still, so I move back with her, more absorbed in this scenario than the abrupt proximity beside her.

It dawns on me then when I see it from afar and a happy quiver shudders from my nose. A butterfly I think with blossoming delight, and its as if they've all flooded into my gut and have begun to do summersaults with my soul. I glance excitedly back to Ree and with a few strokes of my tail have filled the vicinity around us with black butterflies of all kinds.
For the first time in my existence, I mourn the lack of color to my art. It has never bothered me before, but this mare, she deserves something a bit more pretty than the hue of shadows.

I smile at her as my drawings dance.

An unfamiliar noise just then causes my ear to tilt back, head soon following as I spy Kaj has discovered something. A gem, I think, and hope. Oblivious stallion that I am the butterflies disperse into black rain plummeting to the ground and I pull away from the mare at my side to investigate Kaj's dig site.

Youth is small and easily badgered around, but he is trusting enough not to lash out when cocoon of feathers moves him to Kaj’s will. The older stallion cannot stand the sadness in the lanky stallion’s irises, and he knows that Ree is just as timid. He is not intending for them to be struck by the arrow of cupid, but maybe they can at least chase away the loneliness that seemed to hover around the both of them. Ree is just as kind, as small, and he wishes to take them both beneath wing and hold them close. Press them so far into his sides that they will feel the beating of his heart. Kaj is drawn to those who need him, is destined to protect. The shyness in the virtuous girl’s gaze, the defeated tone in the muted youth’s…they draw him in, and already he has displayed in that afternoon his defensiveness over Ink and his well-being. Now, he is caring for his emotional needs, pushing him towards the girl that seems so very interested in his paintings and magic.

There is always room beneath wing for one more, he thinks, eyes darting covertly to Ree. Chuckling he shook his head, feeling like an old father that took straggling youths beneath his wings, literally and metaphorically. They are not to be subjected to the horrors of the world that he had seen, for there is a spark of light that exists inherently in their hearts and eyes. It alights their faces with innocence, something that lingers with young age no matter the circumstances gone through. Ink is not verbally able to object, but the surprise on his face is amusing. Kaj only suspected his name because a Mage in his previous home had magic of the same substance, though she used it in an offensive manner instead of Ink’s rather delightful and harmless imagery.

The shy gaze that meets him over slim ebony shoulder is endearing, and heart-breakingly sweet. Kaj is struck by the need to coo over him, though he knows that Ink is far from a child. Instead he flashed a comforting, almost playful look at the younger. He deserved a little time to let go, loosen up. It seemed no matter where he went he always had some sort of tension to his shoulders, and Kaj wanted to see it disappear if only for a few hours. They seem to interact well enough in the start, so Kaj returns to his own efforts, striking at the earth with blows that jar pleasantly up his leg. Stubbornly he jabs through the topsoil, unearthing whatever it was Ink desired, a gem of some sort from the necklace he had momentarily constructed around pale golden neck.

While they converse with no words, he works. Sweat does not accumulate quickly, for he is accustomed to toil, but it does appear faster than normal circumstances due to the heat of the coals around them. Smooth muscles gleamed in the glow of the fire around them, sweat glistening off his pale white-gold canvas. It is pleasing work, and the different sound as he struck new material was well worth the brief work. Ink too is drawn by the noise and over he comes. Kaj glanced over his spine and motioned for Ree to move closer, lips edging up into a small but kind smile. Best not to have Ink accidentally forget about her, and she is more than welcome in their presence after all. Kaj however did cast a look at Ink for completely abandoning the girl, golden brow rising at him as if asking ‘Really?’. He would deal with that later, but he gently scraped the remaining dirt off of whatever it was he had unearthed.

Unregistered
Ree.
The undeniable glee on the young mare’s face lights up her eyes, her expression warm and giddy as she watches each of Ink’s reactions with childlike candor; his surprise, his excitement, his radiant smile. Ree beams, feeling rather clever to have stunned him so, yet she finds herself being the one caught off guard when – with a simple flick of his tail – the obsidian stallion’s butterflies return. They flutter and twirl in a myriad of lovely, enchanting and beautiful shapes, dancing shadows against the red of the desert around them. She adores the little winged creatures, conjured as they may be, and she watches them flit about with undeterred captivation, all the while wondering what it must be like to fly on such delicate wings. She returns Ink’s smile, though she remains bashful and coy, timid as ever. She follows his gaze as he turns to watch Kaj, and she reminds herself that they are searching for something within the Heart’s sands. Ink meanders toward the winged stallion to investigate, and once more Ree watches as the butterflies disappear again, black rain onto the sandy soil around her hooves. She is sad to see them go, but the bay mare isn’t allowed to dwell on the thought for long.

She gives Kaj a peculiar look at his beckoning, but scoots forward with curious caution and an equally friendly grin. She is drawn to the benevolence they have given her, the kindliness they so willing portray, and it warms the flighty mare’s heart, settles her nerves and does well to soothe her sometimes fragile soul. Ree craves the sincerity of their attention, having been deprived and denied such affections as a filly. Kaj's encouragemant fuels her bravery, and she sidles up next to Ink as the pale Pegasus digs, careening her head at a comical angle in an attempt to see what it was that the two were looking at. Hazel eyes watch the scene before her with interest; she can hear the change of sound, shifting from the steady thud of a hoof unearthing dirt to the clear strike and muffled ring of something more. Her childish intrigue has the spritely nymph conjuring up vivid images of grand gems or rare jewels, some hidden treasure long hidden beneath the sands of time, and she wonders what they might need such an object for, and what its purpose will hold.

While the two stallions are distracted by their task, at least momentarily, Ree glances at the lanky boy next to her. His silence is unique, and she ponders how he came to be this way, or if it is how he has always been. She thinks of his pictures, how she is charmed by how lovely they are, and envious that he is able to bring them to life. Like an impatient youngster she almost catches herself staring, waiting eagerly for Ink to display his artistic prowess for them again, and doing a horrible job of remaining inconspicuous. Pulling her eyes away from the obsidian boy, she glances toward his winged friend, ears flickering towards Kaj as she glances between his welcoming eyes and the hole he has dug, an unspoken question. What was it?

She doesn’t realize that she has fallen easily into their habitual lack of talking, conversations and explanations without words. She quite likes the silence, the air filled only with the gentle sound of their breathing, the warm Heart wind that tousles her messy ebony locks against the bronze of her coat, and the distant trill of desert birds roosting within the tall grasses. Her previous misgivings of wandering away from the Throat have vanished from her mind, and she revels in the company she has found, overjoyed to feel accepted into their syndicate of silence. Her naivety and youthful innocence most often suspend her in a childishly awkward world of quiet reservation and timidity, but standing beside Ink she feels less uncertain than she has before. The usual lingering traces of panic and worry that would sometimes seize her thoughts have been pushed to the furthest recesses of her mind, and for once she stands in complete satisfaction, content to spend the afternoon with the two stallions so long as Ink continued to draw and paint for her.

Hidden Account
Blu

Unfortunately, we can only learn gratitude for kindness through experiencing cruelty. We know not how to smile, until we have first learned to frown. We cannot begin to love, until we have befriended neglect. Why it is life ensures we must subjugate ourselves to the darkest of natures before valuing the light I cannot know, but an evident truth I have found it to be.

Partly, I think we are just made that way, or somehow we become that way. In tallsun we often complain of the heat and long for the coolness of winter to sweep our sweat away. Yet once the moons do turn and the frostfall has arrived, we only stomp our feet in bitterness at the cold, cursing it in the same breath we beg for the warmth of summer.

I wonder what drives us to remain eternally unsatisfied. I'd like to cut it out of me.

That is neither here or now though, well at least not entirely, it really is everywhere and always, but that's beside the point. What does matter, what has absorbed the entirety of my focus, is the gleaming tip of a gem beneath the strong hoof of the lion. I raise my head from its bowed position between the two, excitement sparkling easily in my eyes which soon transfers to a playful, and rather pathetic, buck. My nape rolls as my head twists, fore hooves lifting off the earth briefly before I pounce back down on them into the ground.

In my eagerness for the gem I lose my balance, toppling somewhat into Ree. I fold like a gangly colt against her side, flanks heaving with my abrupt exertion and lack of physical fitness. I'm grinning like an idiot, partly intoxicated by her presence and her attentions, though my mind seems set on ignoring them in favor of the gems, which truthfully, though thrilling to me, do not match the significance of Ree.

As is the twisted will of life however, my eyes are only trained on the hole in the ground, though my pelt still lingers near to Ree, perhaps still brushing hers if she didn't move away. I feel a moment of bliss, but it will only be that, a moment.