the Rift

The World has lost Her way again | Midas, Open

Myrddin Posts: 115
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 :: Old
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

The stars wheeled overhead, and every day was as long as a life age of the earth...

Myrddin felt trapped; caged.

It was an interesting thing, to be able to rationalize an emotion, and yet at the same time be helpless to control your reactions to it. For instance, Myrddin understood that the overwhelming feeling of claustrophobia he was currently experiencing, was simply a product of his mind retaliating against his blindness. The walls were not caving in around him, and yet he still felt cramped even in his cave, alongside his precious mirror. Broken mirror, he thought with annoyance. Since he left the boy-king alone with Psyche the day he had stepped through time and broken Myrddin's mirror, the old white stag had not yet had the chance to properly reprimand the boy. But he would - the mirror still remained broken, and for that, Myrddin was displeased. Still, that had nothing to do with the feeling that the world around him was being condescended somehow. At first it had been no more than an itch in the back of the old philosopher's mind; a gentle but insistent tugging. Yet as the days went by and Myrddin remained visually blocked from the world, the itch became an open wound, festering and pulsating with a sickly infection that was beginning to take over. And so, Myrddin had done something he hadn't yet: He went into the grey.

Myrddin had created a fairly accurate mental map of the Aurora Basin, and although blind, he could move about quite easily, only really bumping into living objects which were not permanent members of his mapping. His mapping even extended into the Frostbreath Steppe with impressive accuracy, yet the Arch, was a different matter entirely. If you could see what Myrddin's mind created, it would look like the world around him had been dumbed down extensively, and coloured in with only shades of black and white. Yet it seemed to…glitch, when it came to the Arch. It was almost as if this part was simply incomplete - which in fact, it was. It was a haze of grey, with a few distinguishes features, but as the white creature entered the Arch, he literally was in the dark.

Moving with the slowness of age, the ancient creature gradually made his way forward, carefully placing his steps so as not to fall on the ice. The cold actually did his old bones good - he had terrible arthritis, which he unaffectionately thought of as a giant snake, who lived in his joints. The snake seemed to freeze when Myr exposed himself to extreme temperatures, and although it painfully numbed the rest of him as well, at least his joints were soothed for a time. And so, the pale stallion moved into the grey.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>

Never before had I whelped the desire to curse the lords of our land. Not in a single moment of this existence had this voice wanted to bellow into heaven with the injustice of emotion. Not when my parents passed, Norse died, or Cera got hurt. My lips had only spoken holy things about a heavenly father. As a child, faith had been a priceless treasure, something that was nourished by dame and sire. There had been one other person besides them that my attention had always found comfort and support in, even at a distance. Azzuen. But now, that intangible support was gone; and in its place was emptiness and dread.

Hollowed by life, I felt used up and tossed aside. My ears rang and silver tears slithered to stain a face riddled with despair. The wind bitterly sliced through every hair on this body until it was thoroughly chilled. This planet was an inescapable hell that could only be ridden, and for a moment I wanted it all to go away. I wanted off the ride. My insides screamed for silence, a moment to myself. Away from the expectant eyes of my son and the throat, away from the judging gaze of our leaders and the responsibility it held.

Limbs sliced through a dark sky, its bowels clouded with dark clouds that hinted upon a coming storm. Wings didn’t ache despite having carried this body a long ways, indeed this entire body felt numb. I didn’t even feel the bite of fatigue when muscles begged for relief. Sweat caked my sides with white foam. Eventually my energy began to wane and I was forced to land, wings tilted closed and body landed heavily before collapsing against the frozen uncaring ground.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Deceased
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

The stars wheeled overhead, and every day was as long as a life age of the earth...

Ahead, Myr heard the sound of something striking the ground. Given that he hadn't heard an approach across the desolate landscape, Myrddin assumed it had come from the air. Pegasus he thought, trying to gauge by the echoes just how far away the thing had landed. Flicking his large moose-like ears, he silently wondered why there was no shuffling - no sound of feathers adjusting, or hooves righting themselves on the icy surface. Had he been wrong? Was it something that merely fell from the sky - a star, or comment? Perhaps something more terrestrial, like…Well, like what exactly? Pegasus! his mind reiterated, with some attitude. Nibbling his lip, he considered the truth of this: Simply because the thing was not moving, did not mean it wasn't a pegasus. Still, why wasn't it moving?

Taking a few steps forward, Myr cautiously made his way towards the fallen thing. If it had been struck down, the blind philosopher was not about to walk directly into trouble, and yet his curiosity had been piqued. Flaring his nostrils, he tried to draw the scent towards him, his blind gaze surveying the area uselessly. It smelled…dusty. While the white stag had never been to the Dragon's Throat before, he only knew of one herd land which was covered in enough sand and grit to produce this sort of permanent odour. "Eh-hemmm" Myrddin said roughly, his voice scratchy and melodic, like a singer who had inhaled far too much smoke over his lifetime. His gaze was milky-white, and he turned his broad antlered brow towards where he believed the fallen to be, to demonstrate that he could not in fact see. "You there. What ails you?" Myrddin inquired, though not unkindly.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>

My nose must have struck ground first, because it felt like the only physical part on this body that actually registered pain. Tentatively my nostrils flexed and I instantly regretted the motion when affliction intensified. Finding no reason to rush into calculating further upon said damage, I choose to lie still for a moment longer. It wasn’t broken—but it sure felt flattened. Legs also felt cramped, burning from being overused in the sky. Luckily I wasn’t feeling the full brunt of being physically pushed, mostly because everything felt nulled, numb. I knew limbs, wings, and nose would eventually start aching, and my rash emotional actions would then be regretted.

It was never wise to land with the likeness of a rock—but frankly I could care less what was wise or not. What mattered right now was self-pity, and mourning the loss of a dear friend and brother. What mattered was silence. This cool air felt crisp and good against overheated flesh. I didn’t bother to open my eyes, nor did I care to find out instantly where I had landed. For a moment, the only sounds were my breath rasping, and the cold air whistling past tilted ears, and blissful ‘silence.’

The lack of humidity made each gulp feel well used and jarred senses recovered at a rapid pace until it was almost awkward to not look up. Slowly I opened my eyes, black spots swirled and the ground shifted into heaven; quickly I shut them again out of fear that I would also fall back into the sky. My body tensed nervously; momentarily I was now worrying about not knowing where I was. Obviously my flight had led a clear path north, and into a territory that was farthest from home and the least familiar. Brain pattered along, restarting itself and semi registering amid the sounds of a moan that was my own, someone was approaching. "Eh-hemmm" Blinking a few times until the black spots around my vision cleared I tested the waters and glanced up, muzzle tilting ever so slightly back.

Earth and sky remained as they should be, with one on top of the other. Peering at the individual with half closed lids that still had hints of water slipping to darken and already pitch black pelt. I noticed first that he was white, sort of….lids widened further, no, I corrected. More of an ashen grey. His eyes were white though, clear as the undercoat of a does tail and glassy as the moon.

This body must appear as a mess of flesh, feathers and fur. "You there. What ails you?" He remains at a distance, to which I was thankful.

Though lord, he wanted to chat. Why couldn’t they just leave me be to wallow around a little? My breath comes out as a deep groan, ‘leave me alone’, I plead inwardly. But somewhere inside a little voice cries out, ‘No….don’t go.’ “The world ails me elder,” my chin tucks back down, no longer finding care enough to look up any longer, “My brother in arms is dead, as to add to a growing list of recent afflictions this life has blessed me with.”

Deceased
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

Although Myrddin had been mostly sure that the creature before him was not dead, there was still the possibility. As Midas tentatively began to move himself, the philosopher sighed, only half relieved that Midas was not fully dead. There was still the possibility that he had been wounded, attacked, or was seriously ill; in those cases, Myrddin would be nearly helpless to assist. However, as he spoke, his comments not related to any physically life-threatening condition, the old stag relaxed somewhat. His large moose-like ears flicked forward to catch Midas's words, and a small smile of understanding to part his aged lips.

The world ails me elder. My brother in arms is dead, as to add to a growing list of recent afflictions this life has blessed me with

Gruffly, Myrddin snorted as if amused, bobbing his great head. "Well of course it does, youngling." Myr began, his raspy voice sounding very matter-of-fact. "If it didn't, you'd be dead." Brother in arms? The white stag was slightly surprised to surmise that the creature before him was a warrior. They were not normally known for their bleeding hearts, and yet this one seemed to be no more stunted emotionally than Myr was. Tilting his head slightly, the philosopher pondered momentarily whether or not he thought a creature with such emotions would make a better, or worse warrior.

Tossing his head and forcing himself back into the moment, his blind gaze bore down unto Midas. For such an emotive creature to be this upset over death, struck him as odd. Unless perhaps the death was unjust? Unless it was a murder? Or perhaps something in the growing list of recent afflictions is the true culprit of the stallion's speedy and reckless decent?
"Death is...a part of life. And yet I believe that you know this. While this weighs heavy on your heart, tell me youngster, do you only mourn that which is out of your control? Or have you been wronged unjustly in some way?"

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

He responds with a voice that matches appearance in age, I expect a rebuke or perhaps him to find jest in my pain. His thinking is right, and had our positions been switched and I the elder and he the troubled youth. I might not have the patience required for the act of listening to another’s woes, after all I was well aware the world was full of heartache and woe. The only difference was your heartache is that it isn’t the same as mine. But instead of laughing and pointing hoof at my weakness he muses for a moment, commenting facts rather than simply shoving off my concerns like a fly from his quarters.

"Death is...a part of life. And yet I believe that you know this. While this weighs heavy on your heart, tell me youngster, do you only mourn that which is out of your control? Or have you been wronged unjustly in some way?"

He starts off with something that I know all too well and then continues to read into my meanings. AS if he actually cared about knowing what grieved me. Somehow this intrigued me, he was older—certainly wiser with extra years. Suppose I did tell him? Would that lift some weight from this tired heart?

My lips form words absent allowing mind further control over tongue, “Injustice, and war,” I smile weakly, “You would believe me to be a fool, and perhaps I am….but… I have been robbed of myself.” My gaze remains fixed upon the ground, “A man, draped in the colors of blood nearly killed my child and planted a seed of hate in my heart as a parting gift—all of my energy has been spent trying to hunt this same man down. Yet he remains hidden.” Eyes drift up, pitess bottoms staring into the sky empty of emotion and drained of feeling.

“I want to see his death for the pain he inflicted and the innocence that has been stolen. He haunts my steps with each day that I awake and see fresh terror in the eyes of my prodigy.” Dryly I add, "But this...this drive to kill isn't who I am."

"I grow tired of hating a ghost.

Deceased
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

An engaged smile crossed the pale lips of the philosopher as he listened carefully, his great moose-like ears trained forward, intent to capture each sound that passed through Midas's lips. Through his long life, Myrddin found that you could tell nearly as much about a creature based on the way he chose to describe something, as you could from the thing it was he was describing. In Midas' case, Myrddin found in particularly interesting that he choose to say he had been robbed of himself, and yet concluded by saying that he knew these actions to be contrary to himself. Shaking his bearded muzzle, Myrddin paused thoughtfully before speaking.

"Well now..." He began, clearing his throat and pursing his lips a few times, the way that the very old tend to. "I suppose there are two ways in which you could consider your..situation. In one sense m'boy, this drive to kill is precisely who you are. There is no duality in your soul, there is merely one entity with conflicting and opposing traits, which is the sum total of everything you are. Now, on such an account, this...violence within you, has merely be revealed by the creature that you spoke of, possibly he even created it and yet...Yet there is no sense in which it isn't you. It would be like saying that anything is nature is ever un-natural; poppycock. Everything in nature, no mater how deviant from the norm, is natural, simply because it comes from nature. Similarly, any stirrings of aggression you feel are wholly you, for the same reason." Nibbling his lip, Myrddin seemed to look off into the distance for a moment, though for him there was nothing to see. Pondering. Considering. Sometimes his teachings were...lost on more youthful minds. Twitching his lips again, he turned his milky-gaze back to where he believed Midas to be. "Then again, if you do believe you've been robbed, or that this hatred has been falsely implanted within you, then..." Shrugging, Myrddin chuckled, "Then m'boy you cannot be held responsible. Smite the bastard, and feel not one ounce of anguish over the deed, for as you say, it is not really you who has committed it. Moreso...it is a righting of yourself."

Flicking his tail against his de-saturated hocks, Myr gave a heavy sigh. He hazarded a guess that this fellow might understand what he was saying, yet at the same time very much doubted that such blatant black and white reasoning would quell the emotive needs that he was currently expressing. But then, Myrddin had a tricky time with emotions. "The real question is, what are you going to do about it?"

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

This elder appeared to have enough patience to tolerate my woes for at least a little. After I had spoken he stood by, thinking without much expression. Finally the man spoke, “Well now…” I wait, staring at him blankly wondering in the end—would it matter what anyone said? Could something like this be fixed, my soul felt no lighter sharing this information with said company. I give caution and forcefully quiet mind from thinking too far ahead, he hadn’t even spoken a reply and already my heart was shrinking away.

When words did come, ears leaned forward to listen and pick apart each sentence. He used two different possibilities to answer my sorrow, one that made the darkening in my heart quake with pleasure at the possibility that this side could be a permanent part of who I was. The other side, the one that my friends knew, shrank with fear at the possibility. This pale horse suggested that I take action, action against the creature that lay my heart across the ground. Instantly I wanted to add that I had been searching to do just that, yet my search had come up empty as the beast itself had been of emotion; but I said nothing, keeping voice in check behind slacked teeth.

"The real question is, what are you going to do about it?"

Mind whirled round with questions, but at least I wasn’t dizzy anymore from my fall. Legs uncurled, and found earth a little more reliable. After steadying myself, body rises slowly before straightening out. Wings shift back and forth, shaking grime from my feathers. Finally, after a moment more of consideration my voice rises to answer his advice and question, “I do not yet know my course or direction, but I do have questions. If this pure fury was part of my soul, then why do I struggle to accept it? My hunt for him has turned up empty and revenge has yet to be satisfied elder.”

A heavy sigh emerges and my head shakes along the poll and down to my withers to shake away the final pieces of earth that lingered, “For months I have looked, yet he appears as only a ghost in my dreams, the only proof of attack is in memories and the scar upon my child’s breast.”

Deceased
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

A deep earthy chuckle arose from Myrddin's lips as the stallion inquired as to why his soul felt so at odds, if this was a wholly holistic process. Shaking his bearded head, Myrddin smiled with a fatherly amusement. "Because m'boy, you think too much. The rational component of your soul feels the need to war with the emotive side, because our minds seek to fit our feelings into nice boxes where they can be easily understood to justify our actions. Your mind does not feel like it has lost control of your soul, and so it makes you doubt yourself, so that you reject the emotions that you feel."

Pausing, the philosopher listened as Midas described the ghostly presence that the assailant seemed to have. Frowning, Myrddin considered asking who the perpetrator might be, but given how long he had gone without sight, Myr very much doubted he would know the beast even if Midas named him. Little did he know..."Perhaps you are simply not ready to face him again, and that is why the universe is withholding him from your grasp. Given the state of conflict you find yourself in, can you confidently say that you could encounter the beast, and leave feeling no regret about whatever actions you choose to take? Should he appear now, would you not endure endless sleepless nights in which you would rethink and replay the meeting, wondering what you might have done differently? Or perhaps it isn't the universe keeping you two a part - perhaps it is you who knows he is not yet ready to face this demon again?

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

His words ring true, and I find with each moment that luck must have finally blessed me to find such good council in one of the darker moments in my life. It was true, my mind often did think too much. Having a working mind could be an aid in battle and when it came to handling strategy, or it could be my downfall when pressure proved to apply choke across neck.

We all tried to reason with ourselves, mainly to justify actions when they seemed out of the norm. When control was lost, it was true that most questioned the reason and what they can do to return the control back to its proper position. In that moment, I had lost control; he had took that from me and I wanted it back The question was as it was before, 'how would I go about achieving my desires?'

This elder unicorn speaks more on the matter at hand, giving reasons behind an absent foe. It was very possible “I” wasn’t ready for our confrontation. Truth be told if I saw him in this moment, not heaven nor earth would stop my judgment from raining from heaven. All the magic in the world couldn’t shield him forever. The last part pale company uttered caught me by surprise, >“perhaps it is you who knows he is not yet ready to face this demon again?” The word ‘demon’ ceases heart in chest, I suddenly feel very cold. I wouldn’t say anything in rebuke, because after all that had been said thus far….it could all be true.

I could truly be the demon.

My tone is tired when it finally responses, “Your words are well met and appreciated wise one,” honeyed gaze locks in those bright eyes that held no sight of me, “You shed a little light on dark splotches in my soul, I will mediate these things and pray that it rights itself either by acceptance or his death; with enough time one or the other will happen.” Until then, I would just have to live with it—and lead my soldiers and Cera the best that one could.