the Rift

Always Be My Exception [Phaedra]

Tolio Posts: 110
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3hh :: 6 Years 8 Months Buff: NOVICE
Brit
 Tolio.</style>

Sleep leaves slowly, like mist evaporating under the heat of the sun. It is a comfortable, creeping awakening that had a ghost of a smile on Tolio’s boyish face. Sunlight peeks through the canopy of the trees, making patterns of shadows that don’t belong to their bodies naturally. It slid over his eyelids, warmed his body in a caress. The dull light invades closed eyes, slowly waking him with persistent increases in light. With a long, soft sigh one eye slowly is revealed. Blinking sleepily, mercury irises glazed with sleep that lingers like some sticky substance on his brain. Yawn takes him by surprise and both eyes pop open, though lids are heavy and stubborn against the process of consciousness. Looking around, Tolio quickly recognized the scenery of the Grove. Memories trickled in and the happiness and love outweighed the pain of remembering the fight he’d had with Phaedra. Speaking of, he turned his head to look upon her sleeping visage. Smile softened with love that was shining visibly out of his face. It glowed in his eyes, poured from every inch of him. He loved her. He loved Phaedra, and he could see that now. Gently he extended his muzzle to brush the softness of her pale cheek, exhaling softly and inhaling her scent. Lips brushed up under her eye to her ear, where he murmured softly. ”Phaedra…wake up…” Continuing the gentle motions, caressing her neck and mane with his maw. Rubbing her, encouraging her to awaken and rise.

With this time to himself, he began to think. Every thought that had been pushed to the very crevices of his mind started spilling out, reminding him of the severity of the situation. Glowing face darkened; horror and denial two direct emotions that appeared. There was no way he could hide his relationship with Phaedra from Psyche and the others. Her scent would cling to him no matter what, and even if he washed his coat every time he left to visit her, would Phae be content with them only meeting in secrecy? He didn’t want her to feel like his dirty little secret, because she was anything but. She was the light in his darkening world, the love that sealed the cracks in his heart like glue. Faelene may keep him strong, but Phaedra kept his morals straight. She was the one that made sure he never changed, that he remained Tolio, and only Tolio. She loved him despite knowing he was gay, had wrapped his heart in her golden love and embraced it fiercely. Phaedra was important to him. She had taken a chunk of his heart, and sewed a piece of hers into it. It would remain there forever. She was worth the world to him…could he really put his entire world in danger? If the Basin found out…would they kill her? Harm her? Use her against him to make him do things that would go against his every moral? He would do anything they asked him to if they so much as whispered the idea of harming her. He would spill blood, go against everything his nature told him to do to keep Phaedra safe. Nothing, absolutely nothing would harm her. Not while there was still strength in his body. Even if he had to crawl along his knees, so long as his love for Phaedra remained in his heart he would keep her safe. Either directly or indirectly. She was ingrained into his heart, which meant that she would be protected forever. Only interference of the Gods themselves could make him turn against her, and the thought made anger and refusal surface fast enough to dizzy him.

And…what if she ended up having children? Tolio wasn’t an idiot, but he also knew that it was quite possible she hadn’t conceived. Secretly he wished she had. She was the only female he had ever loved, and would most likely be the only one. He would never accept the love of another woman, for Phaedra was the only exception to his basic nature. No mare could ever replace Phaedra. Having children with her…it would be a dream come true. Tolio had wanted children for as long as he’d existed. He’d simply had that inborn trait that came with natural parenting. It had shone through when he’d met Frost Fyre, Leyra’s daughter. She was so precious to him, and if Phaedra could give him children, she would give him everything he had ever wanted. But the joy of having children came with a price. What if they were born with Phaedra’s blood, and became pegasi? They would be unsafe in the Basin. Even if born with a horn, he could never bring his child into the Basin for fear of someone finding out that he’d had them with a Pegasus. And what if they used his child against him too? It made him feel sick, weak.

He couldn’t stay in the Basin. If they ever found out about Phaedra…no. He couldn’t let them hurt her. He wouldn’t let them. But that also meant he couldn’t stay with his princess…heart jumped into throat and tears appeared at the realization. If he exiled himself from the Basin, they would be enraged. Staying around Phaedra, should they try and find him again, would endanger her. Why? Why does this have to happen? Why do I have to give up the one I love the most, directly after realizing I wish to be with her forever? Why must I hurt her once again, even if it means she will survive? Tolio nudged her gently, hiding the agony carefully. Whispering to her, urging her into the real world and away from the dream world of sleep.

I love you, Phaedra. I will always love you. But I love you enough to know that I have to let you go. For your safety, I will do anything. Even if it means you will hate me after this.

I’m sorry, Phaedra.

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud
 Phaedra</style>
 & from your lips she drew the hallelujah</style>

As Tolio's gentle words and insistent touch pulled her from sleep, she pressed her muzzle closer to his body, nuzzling deeper. Mumbling something incoherent, Phaedra tried disparately to hold on the dream that she was currently having - The dream was warm, and red, and full of visions of Tolio and herself together…moving together, being together. She didn't want to let it go. To awake into a world where she was alone, where she and Tolio were still bitterly ignoring each other…but the lovely haze of her dream slowly began to lift, and she began to feel the warm BirdSong air on her skin. Groaning, her sea-green eyes opened slowly,then closed abruptly as they were flooded with light. With a sigh, Phae leaned back slightly, only to feel a warm presence behind her. Startled, her eyes shot wide open, filled with hope. Was it..? Was it real?

As Tolio's cinnamon features slowly solidified behind her sleepy eyes, she felt a euphoric rush wash through her. "It wasn't a dream.." She whispered softly to him, pressing her soft pink muzzle against him. Inhaling deeply, she exhaled into him, still feeling as though it was all a dream. But it wasn't…She felt the tightness in her hind legs, her muscles recalling all too well the work-out of last night. She could smell his scent on her, and she on him. It had happened, it was real.

Looking at him now, she couldn't help but smile. It was as if every time they were together, she found herself falling more in love with him - finding more pieces of him to cherish and remember. It felt like she would never have cause to feel sad, or angry every again. She was too filled with love, and a feeling of weightlessness to ever be bothered by anything ever again. She had Tolio - they were together, in a way, and regardless of what came to pass, she would always have this moment. For the rest of her life, he would be enough.

Fully awake now, she winked at him playfully. "Hey you." She cooed softly, her eyes glittering with adoration. Phae was not burdened by the troublesome thoughts that Tolio was - maybe in time, when she realized that life stirred in her belly, she would consider the predicament they were truly in, but for now, all her mind could hold onto was his gentle touch, his smell, his soft gaze, and the love she felt for him.

HP: 45.5

Deceased
Brit
 Tolio.</style>

Slowly, she awakens. Under Tolio’s watchful eyes she stirs, unhappy with the prospect of removing herself from sleep. Mumbling escapes her lips, beautiful face creasing to try and remain in the arms of Morpheus. But Tolio would not allow his angel to be trapped in the arms of the immortal god of sleep, and continued the light caresses of his muzzle against her golden bodice. Urging her into awareness, for his mind is plagued with darkness and only she can shine bright enough to chase it away. Though secretly he knows she cannot make this go away, that he has to carry this burden alone. Oh how he wishes to stay, in this lovers embrace. He cannot, and it pains him. He will have to hurt her, and perhaps she will not understand. But he must, for he cannot have her nor his possible child harmed. Even so white face is smiling, careful to cover every blemish of worry and despair that could taint his visage and betray him. Tolio will greet her with love, for she deserves at least that to remember. Soft moans of unhappiness escape her but sea foam eyes are opening to bless him with their sight. Her surprise that he has remained, that it was real, hurts him slightly. White muzzle presses against her neck, inhaling their mixed scents. It is something completely theirs, a mix of their souls from the night before. The sweet oak and wildflower scent of Phaedra mingling with his own, though he is far too accustomed to his scent to understand what it is. ”Of course it is not a dream, love…” And oh, how it slides so easily off his tongue. Calling her love, the title she has deserved since the moment they locked eyes on the beach.

Her smile was a beauty he could gaze upon for the rest of his life, and for a moment everything seemed alright. Until his heart twinged, reminding him that he could never be with her like this again. That the longer he stayed around her, the more at risk she was. Even so he found himself spiraling into the typhoon of love he felt for her. How badly he wished to stay by her side. To have children with her, raise them with her. Laugh with her, make her laugh. There was so much he wanted to do, and yet he would never have the chance. He was lost, lost in her glow, lost in her. Phaedra’s wink and playful words had him chuckling and he tugged at her forelock gently. ”Hey yourself,” he laughed, winking back at her. For a few long moments he simply enjoyed being there, in her presence. Remembering the details of last night, skipping their fight because he couldn’t handle the thought of that happening again once he told Phaedra what had to happen. Pain came over his face again, longing to have what he could not. He didn’t want to speak, didn’t want to let the first words fall from his lips in such tragic ways. It clogged up in his throat, begging him not to crush both of their hearts. For it would kill them both, surely, to be separated. Tears came upon him far faster than he had imagined and he pressed his face into the arch of her neck. ”Phae…Phaedra I love you so much. I should have known so long ago, so so long ago…” It was tumbling out now, sincere and passionate. Tears did not slip down to stain his cheeks, but they wavered dangerously in his eyes that remained hidden from Phaedra’s sight. Inhaling her scent desperately, as if to keep her locked in his very lungs. ”Gods, Phaedra, you’re the only woman I will ever love! I love you so much more than you can understand. I would let you rip off my horn and shove it through my heart if you so wished. I would do anything for you, love. Anything, do you understand?” He needed her to know that he loved her. That he had not simply faked it. He would die if he left her thinking he had never loved her, for it was far from the truth. ”B-But…Phae, please, you have to see. I’m…I’m not safe to be around!” Growing rather desperate by that point, trying to get her to see without making it obvious that he could not stay with her. He didn’t want to see the crushed look on her face; it would tear his heart past its already damaged state. ”They will hurt you, Phaedra. If they so much as think I love you, that we are together…they will use you against me, you will be a target! And if I leave them, they will track me down, and if I am with you, you will pay the price with me. Phae, I love you so damn much. I love you enough to give you up; because I would rather have to shred my heart than have you hurt. I just…Phaedra, please, don’t doubt my love for you. I just can’t have you hurt!” Voice trailing off to an almost desperate whimper, pressing little kisses to her face, trying to gain and give as much affection as he could possibly manage to keep with him for the rest of his life. One single tear went streaking down his cheeks as he pressed his eyes shut. He didn’t want to hurt her, but no matter what he did he couldn’t stay. For if he were to remain around her, she would be harmed.

Deceased
 Phaedra</style>

Of course its not a dream, love...

Until that moment, Phae had never understood the desire to be in love. What was the point? Nicknames? Sweet gestures? Someone to call you-own? What was the draw? Phae was a flirtatious being, and could attain all of the male attention that she pleased - she didn't need a somebody to weigh her down; she could see how being in love, could be any different, or any better, than what she already had. Until Tolio; until this very moment. She had affectionately been referred to as love before, and this was not the first time she had awoken next to a stallion, but this was different in a thousand unspeakable ways. His scent, his warmth, his gaze, this place...it all added up to something more than the sum of its parts. It added up to love.

As his muzzle gently grazed her cheekbones, moving to gently tug at her forelock, she felt as though she could burst with joy. Laying with him, hidden in the Grove, she felt the happiest that she had ever been. Reclining slightly, she buried her face against him, draping the wing closest to his body luxuriously over his wither. As she pressed her forehead against him, mildly she wondered how Unicorns managed such a gesture, without hurting one another. Tolio would have to show her...The thought made her bubble with delight again, as she smiled against his cinnomon-hide.

I love you so much.. He began. The words delighted her in a way that she could never express. She had felt the electricity move between them, ever since their first encounter on the beach...hearing him say those words, reassuring her that this had been more than just physical, was magic. But as he continued, a pang of panic began to grow in the pit of her stomach, threatening to douse the butterflies, and feeling of warmth. That he would do anything for her? Why was he saying that now...? Because of what happened with Faelene? Just as she was about to interrupt, to press her pink muzzle against his and tell him that she knew, and understood, he said it.

....to give you up...

The feeling of weightlessness that she was experiencing didn't go away, but suddenly turned dark, and evil. Instead of floating, she was falling. Tumbling down. The colour drained from her love-stained cheeks as her mind desperately tried to comprehend what he was saying. She felt cold and confused - he had just said he loved her...why...As he leaned in, covering her face with gentle kisses, all she could manage was to remain immobile; numb. Suddenly she found herself wishing this was a dream - how could he love her, the way he did last night, and now what? Was he leaving..? What was he saying?

As her temporary paralysis gradually washed away, she turned her golden face to look upon him. Her heart, so full of love and want for this bubbly stallion, now ached painfully as she watched a single tear darken his vermillion features. Shaking her pink muzzle, she smiled, as if this were all just a joke. After all, he had it all wrong. He was just being dramatic - there was no cause for concern! "No my love! My silly Tolio; we'll be safe. Secret if we need...But the Basin won't hurt a member of the Grey. Psyche may threaten other non-horned creatures, but she knows our value" Speaking more fervently now, she was almost laughing - completely giving into her minds rejection of the situation. "I'll be fine! Don't do this..."

Her green gaze began to well with tears as uncertainty crept into her mind. It was like the day on the Steppe all over again...he said he would protect her, and then let her be cast away. Now, he said he loved her, but was going to leave...Shaking her head again, she refused to believe it. "Don't do this.." She whispered, solemnly looking into his silvery gaze, searching for a glimpse of hope. "Please. No one knows...no one has to know..." Pleading now, she tried to use her wing to pull him closer, as if the physical distance between them could eliminate the emotional rift he was threatening to create.

[OOC: *cries*]

Deceased
Brit
 Tolio.</style>

With every word that drew him closer to having to tell her made his heart break a little bit more. It killed him that he would have to watch her happiness descend into horror and denial. That he, Tolio, would rip it all away from her so soon after they had sealed their love. He didn’t want her to think he did not love her, but knew it would be a quick assumption. But he couldn’t get the image of her, haunted and hunted by shadows she didn’t turn towards, beautiful golden bodice turned red. It was quite possible that he was overexaggerating, but he had seen what the Basin could do to their prisoners. Some of them simply went crazy before they were stolen back, released, or escaped. He simply couldn’t let that happen to Phaedra, he’d kill everyone in the Basin that tried to hurt her if he had to. The words tasted acrid and sour in his mouth, feeling like it was poisoning him just through having them on his tongue. Before he even began to speak past his love for her, it was killing his heart through a slow acting poison that would linger forever if this plan went through. He didn’t want it to, but he couldn’t think of anything else to keep her safe. Tolio didn’t care about himself, so long as Phaedra was safe.

As he had expected she did not accept it at first, smile lingering despite the darkness that had taken root in her eyes. Deep inside she knew he was being serious, whether or not she wanted to realize that was her decision. She was so still, shocked most likely, and it hurt to have to do that to her. But when she came to she merely shook her head and smiled, and her words only increased the load on his back that he’d had momentarily taken during their meeting. It raked down his heart, reminding him that this was his fault, all his. Phaedra didn’t realize that she was wrong. Psyche did not approve of the Grey, for they could hold no allegiance to anyone under the Time God’s orders. Tolio’s head shook slowly, and her voice turned almost desperate as tears clouded sea green eyes. He let himself be pulled closer, draping his neck over her shoulders and holding her tight. Whispering slowly, with care. Trying to press this onto her, show her the danger of the situation. ”Phaedra, I don’t want to leave you. More than anything I want to stay, right here by your side. I want to stay by you for the rest of my life, but I can’t.” Another tear, and he grit his teeth and took a deep breath. He couldn’t let Phaedra see him break, not when he needed to show her that he loved her but couldn’t risk her life. ”You’re right, nobody has to know. It’s not their business. But think Phaedra. If I leave the Basin to be with you, do you think they will let me go quietly? And should they try and find me, who will they find me with? Not only in love with, but if we had children…we would both be doomed, and if we had a family they would suffer as well.” The thought made his tone dip towards anger, though he had no children. The thought of it alone made him want to shed blood, but it wasn’t real yet so he wouldn’t let that emotion flourish. ”And if we meet in secret, they will notice how much I leave eventually, and your scent will grow so permanent on me after a while that I will not be able to wash it away fully. You are well known because of your kidnappings and appearing in the Grey, they will know who it is immediately. Phae I just…I just don’t know what else to do, I won’t have you hurt…” whispering to her and moving closer, trying to touch as much of her as possible. Whispering ‘I love you’ over and over into her ears, though the loving tone was tinged with sorrow and desperation.

[[oh dear lord that sucked]]

Deceased
 Phaedra</style>

It was all so strange; so very odd. They had loved...then hated, and then loved again. But never did Phae think that it would end like this.

Her mind reeled as she tried to piece together what he was saying. I want to stay by you for the rest of my life, but I can't. That's what it ultimately came down to. I can't. She heard a strange buzzing sound as he continued to speak, as if she were falling deeper and deeper into her own mind, struggling to get away from him and the hurtful words he spoke. If I leave the Basin...If we meet in secret... She felt like she was drowning. Everything was coming down around her in waves of hot and cold, and yet she felt completely immobilized. Normally her mind was so quick with an answer, or a reply...But now it felt like an entirely separate entity, that was painfully holding silent. It was as though her heart was waiting, pleading for her mind to come up with a solution, but remained completely silent. No answers were coming, just the insistent reminder that Tolio had not spoken a single when we... His heart and mind were already made up about how this would unfold, and the golden mare had not be apart of the decision, and would not be a part of his future.
It was over. That's what he was saying. Over...

There weren't any other options. If he couldn't leave the Basin , and if he couldn't meet with her in secret then...that was it. Gods, was this how other stallions felt when she told them that she couldn't be with them? Had no desire to? Surely Tolio had the desire, but he was surely being as objective and hard about it as she ever had. Is this how they felt? Clinging to a burning desire that things would suddenly turn, and come out differently? That they would somehow be able to fix or tear down, whatever barriers stood in the way? Her heart did a somersault as she realized that likely that was precisely how they felt. Gasping for air, she turned her gaze away from him, still feeling frozen in her body, even as he moved closer to her, breathing 'I love you's into her ears.

For this next part, you must remember that Phaedra had never been in love before - hadn't even really felt close to anyone, since coming to Helovia. Forgive her, if you can..

Phae was not going to take this laying down; literally. With sudden force, as she had been so still and resolved up until this point, the sooty mare rocked forward, pushing away from Tolio to stand. Her breathing had returned to normal, if not slightly staggered as she stretched out her wings, shaking off the night and their tangled stillness from her joints. Turning around, her green gaze washed over her cinnamony-lover with a look of confusion and detachment. She would not beg - she would not cry (for she was far too shocked to do that, anyways). He had made his choice. Later, after Phae had learned a thing or two about love, and making relationships work, she might have acted very differently. She might have consoled Tolio, for she would understand that this decision hurt him to tell her, as much as it hurt her to hear it. But for now, all she could think was that she wouldn't let this happen to her; wouldn't let him break her heart twice.

Looking at him now, being snuggled against his warmth seemed like a distant memory; as if she hadn't woken up only moments ago, cuddling against his neck. It was as if last night had occurred days ago, and they had been stuck in uncertainty until this moment. But no longer, for all had been decided. They were over. That was what he was saying, wasn't it? For a moment, her mind reeled wondering if she had interpreted him incorrectly. But if he can't leave the Basin, and we can't meet...there aren't any other options. It wasn't as though she could go live in the Basin, after all. No, this was the way it had to be. Am I pregnant? Her mind wondered, somewhere far away. What a disaster that would be. But she very much doubted it - she had never gotten pregnant before, and frankly, didn't think she was able to.

Raising her creamy tail somewhat defiantly, she looked him in the eyes, wondering if she could even say I love you, one more time. In the hours that Phae spent reliving this moment, she would indeed wish to have told her bunny-warrior one last time, those three words. But in this moment, she couldn't. "Fine." The word was dry and without emotion as it fell from her pink lips. Even so, she could feel the tears beginning to form behind her eyes, painfully stinging their way to the surface. Breathing faster now, she felt as though suddenly she couldn't stand to be near him even for one more second. Looking to the edge of the grove, she realized that if she ran, he would likely follow. Helplessly looking to him one last time as a single tear fell from her sea-green gaze, she forced herself into a bouncy canter, before throwing herself into the skies, and away from the grove.

[BRIT. I'm so sorry! I didn't know how she would react until now, forgive me for the week that's past.........Preggers ugly Phae thread now??]