One cannot stop the Wind from blowing. [Levi]

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

speak of all the love we lost and what it cost us</style>
left us to beg our breath would stop, but we kept on</style>
AND WE WERE STRONG.</style>

Not all soldiers in the Throat were prepared for battle, and I, being the head of our growing family, felt the responsibility of their training sitting as heavily on my shoulders as it did our loyal Generals. My wings carry me swiftly away from the Oasis and into the red, open wounds of the earth. The desert unrolled like a blanket drenched in blood, a scene where the addition of more of the crimson liquid would likely go unnoticed. However, there would be no reason to pour blood so violently in such a spar.

Though my face might hold a gruff seriousness in times of politics or other mundane interactions, the grimace was released into a joyous grin. Yes, the rugged exterior of my features contorted int oa smile that was rarely seen upon my features in idle chit-chat, but the drums of battle easily pulled from my heart. How many years ago had I had my own first training spar? I had been little over two years old then, a scrawny little imp of a mare. I remember my brethren laughing at my feeble attempts to injure my mentors, my kicks unskilled and my strategy far worse. However, one should never underestimate the ferocity of determination.

A stubborn bitch, where my height would not move my muscles expanded from hard work and training. I became stocky like a male, with a hot tongue and flailing blonde mane that twirled with the wind at each attack. It was not long before I had bested many in strength, but strategy was another story. Many times my ass collided with the earth as I was beaten into submission by better tactics though I held the upper hand in strength. Many hard lessons of eating dirt and walking away with a bloodied nose, not because of any attack from my opponent, but because of my own foolishness and lack of superior balance. Time and practice had honed my skills in that arena, but each opponent was a new, exciting challenge.

Each battle was different. Each one wrought some lesson you need learn to win.

"Levi," I call over my shoulder, looking at the younger stallion with a friendly smile on the masculine face many came to know as their Commander. "We will only be practicing. Save your violent blows for the enemy. Stop when I say." The air was calm during the days of Birdsong, but with the sun slowly settling down toward the horizon, night would soon be upon us. With a few sturdy wingbeats, I find myself hovering in a space above the ground. "Do you understand?"

[ IC training spar with optional OOC commentary, if you want it.
800 word max, 2 posts each and one closing defense. Magic is optional, if you want it, I'll allow it.
Setting is in the sky above the outskirts of the Dragon's Throat nearing sunset. ]
""

KRI the RESOLUTE</style>
MY FRIENDS, I'M ONLY FLESH AND BONE, BUT I WON'T LET YOU DIE ALONE.</style>

image by vinothchandar @ flickr.com

Levi Posts: 270
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Ava
 Levi</style>

The art of battle, it was no other than beauty combined with the pure faith of fighting. To him, it was not for winning or destroying someone until death, it was the joy of training and learning new things from his opponent. This time, however, he was sparring with his leader Kri. He had never sparred with a fae before so he was unsure if he should go full out because he did not want to hurt her. Who was he kidding Kri was probably the strongest one out of the fighters out there. Levi should fear her, but he honestly did not fear anything really. He was a sensitive brute, but he knew when he could be harsher in a sense of sparring.

Following the chocolate colored mare, the brute noticed that the sunset was starting to go down. His silvery gaze was now turning to grey as the light started to dim. Kri’s irony mane and tail were the only things that still looked the same color. Thinking about how he was going to start, the brute stopped when he heard Kri’s voice “Levi,” Looking over her irony colored shoulder, Levi took in her ocean gaze. Her kind smile made him feel more relaxed because he was not sure what she was going to say. "We will only be practicing. Save your violent blows for the enemy. Stop when I say." Standing tall and strong, the brute nodded his head respectively to her. "Do you understand?" Levi flew towards the front of Kri, and turned around to face her, one on one. “Yes Kri, I understand. Your wish is my command.” Eyeing her joyfully, the grullo started to move his legs into a ready flying position.

Looking at Kri’s blue eyes, he smirked at her. It was not a disrespectful smirk it was moreso that he was getting ready to challenge her. He had a feeling that she would be hard, and if she was he was not so sure how he would win. The thing was, it was not about winning to him, winning was practicing the sport he loved so very much. He dedicated his life to this so he might as well be good at what he does. Since Phaedra had told him about Tio, he knew that it would be good to get stronger while he still could. They needed every force of soldiers and generals they could get. They needed this training to help protect their herd lands so that they would be able to keep the Throat as their home. Pressing himself closer to Kri, he nodded her wishing her luck. “Kri, do you want to start?” Levi looks at her with gleefulness because usually he starts his spars.

[OOC: Alright :) Hmmm I don't know if I want to use magic for spars just yet. I still need to learn more basics about fighting, but it is up to you! Whatever you want to do I don't care :3]

"blah blah blah."

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

The wave of war was coming, and with the words of my daughter nestled in my heart, I almost felt guilty. I had not been the cause for Tio's obsession with stealing my home from us, but could his face be easily replaced by someone else? I suppose it was likely he could be any of the enemies I had drawn near, and for that, I could not be angry at the child who had scorned me quietly. The bitterness I felt with myself that even the kind-hearted girl that was Onni would doubt me began to grow, and it fueled the need to push harder. I had known that the small tobiano had at one point sought out my approval, but now the tables had turned. I was the filly seeking out the light eyes of my mother to try and win over her heart once more. In reality, floating in the sky above the Dragon's Throat, the crimson tides of our home spilling out with the bloody colored sunset, I am sparring with the newly appointed Sergeant. However, inside at this moment, I am training to slowly overcome the shadow of doubt cast upon me.

I would not succumb to this challenge. I would surmount any obstacle for those whom I hold dear, and standing in the bowl after meeting with my herd, I came to the painful realization that the one I held tightest was slipping away from my own doing. Having proven myself to my herd, soon came the time I would prove myself to my daughter. Let this spar be the first step in that path. Let me succeed.

I nod as Levi accepts my terms, the jovial expression that I wore on my face genuine, as I enjoyed interacting with my herd, tucking the turmoil in my chest underneath. I would not weigh down the companion I found in the air with me on this day with my own worries. For now, I was simply a teacher. Still, I was a teacher who should not be underestimated. Trailing the boy with my eyes, Levi comes to hover before me, his voice dictating that I should make the first move. A sly smile creeps onto my face, knowing that perhaps his attempt to be forgiving for a lady is misplaced. From the musculature of my short body to the expressions I wore on my face, did I really appear much like a mare at all? "Such a gentleman," I say with exaggerated eloquence, dipping my crown slightly as my blue eyes take on a fierce, dark light.

With the sun to my left, I take advantage of its dying height to mask my movements. Swiftly, I tilt my wings, sending me out toward the sun and slightly down. Should Levi attempt to follow me with his eyes, the leer of the fiery star would make it difficult at the very least. I drop a few feet before pulling out with my wings, and tearing straight up, I yield slightly left, aiming to throw myself against his right wing and tilt him off balance. As I pass where I estimated him to be, I toss a cowkick toward his right shoulder, keeping my momentum flowing upward toward the growing expanse of the night as it crept across the sky. In the very least, Levi would learn not to underestimate girls, especially when they have defeated more opponents than you in battle. Give your opponent no edge, for they will wield it with no regrets to their advantage.
""

[ WC: 618; 1/2; no magic, then. ^^
Buffs Kri will be using: Bulk and Dance. ]

KRI the RESOLUTE</style>

[ Kri's basically dropping toward the left so that Levi's vision will be obscured by the setting sun. Then, she darts upward toward his right wing, and kicks out toward his right shoulder.

Tips: Read carefully. Be mindful of time frames. Always mention directions when writing about attacks. Take injuries and make dodges realistically. Since this is an aerial battle, some of the natural attacks of horses may not be necessary, but watching some horse fights, even playing, might help you get a sense of their movement and how long a typical attack takes. ]

Hidden Account
Ava
 Levi</style>

"Such a gentleman,"

Levi looked at her with a smirk as he knew that Kri was being sarcastic. It was not that he wasn’t capable of starting a spar; it was that he wanted his lady to start the spar, since he wanted to see what she had. Washing his silver gaze over her, he narrowed his eyes getting ready to start with the fae. It was her turn to start the spar, but it was almost as though she was planning her attack now. Levi began to think of some strategize that would be able to get her good. Kicking was one of the simplest ways to stun and injure someone if done correctly. It is the perfect distraction to bust in another move, but it is not good if there was just one kick and nothing before or after. Levi thought outside the box than just kicking because he wanted to impress Kri, and progress his skills. Kri, he had heard, never lost a fight and so far Levi had lost his first spar with Midas. Training was a bit different because it was not for winning or losing, but for the practice of it all. Sparing was to see who would win or lose, but even if it was not serious, there was still a winner. Levi tried to keep himself confident enough, but he still did not know how he was going to do while facing the Resolute.

He thoughts were traveling all over the place from Phaedra, Tio, and the herd. They would not have to have this much practice if it wasn’t for Tio. Levi was glad that he got to do what he loved so much, but he felt bad for the other horses who were not fighters and now had to fight. He did not want any member to get hurt, but it was for their own good. If it did come down to anything Levi wanted so badly to just cream Tio until he begged for mercy. In Levi’s book there was no mercy to someone who would do nothing. He wanted to be the one to show him that he was stronger and he does not take nonsense from babies like Tio himself. He showed no skills of being a leader and to the brute, he wanted nothing to do with him as neither did Kri.

Suddenly, Levi was slightly blinded by the hot boiling rays of the orange sun. At sunset, Levi was surprised on how strong it was, especially because it was going down. Closing his silver orbs and turning the other way, he tried to clean them by blinking. Only for a moment, he was unable to see, but the rim of the sun remained in a blue circle as it traveled with the vision of his eye. Until he saw Kri coming at him, he had no clue where she had gone. He kept his eyes closed for a moment too quick as the swift and agile fae came towards him. Turning sideways so that Kri would see his front, the brute pressed both wings onto his stomach as the Resolute came towards his right wing. The pressure had caught his wing as he started to pull it in, but not as much force as he would have thought it had. A tingling pain rose in his shoulder of the compulsion of their bodies came together with a slight shrill of hit. Keeping his options open, the brute aimed his maw towards the left side of her neck or chest as the two collided. His teeth bared ready to slice anywhere he could get.

Quickly flying by him, Kri aimed a kick at his right shoulder. Levi started to fly above her as she kicked into his right shoulder. The pain hurt, but Levi was used to pain because if previous fights. Aiming himself directly above her, the brute aimed a kick towards her back left thy. Keeping himself a good distance away, the brute then flew towards her and as he did he aimed his head to head but her left wing. He knew that this was going to be a good fight, but if anything he knew that this was for training.

[OOC: Alright thanks Boom! And so sorry for the wait!

Summary: Kri makes the first move as she directs the sunlight towards Levi's eyes. Levi was blinded, but only for a second. It was the after look of something so bright that Levi had a blue shape of the sun the stayed in his vision while looking for Kri.

As Kri came towards Levi, he was struck by the pressure from her collision, but not as bad since he tucked his wings in towards him stomach making him start to go down until his presses his wings back up to stay stable. As she fly's by Levi aims to bit the left side of her neck or chest.

Finally, Levi starts to fly above her as he takes the full kick from Kri. He is hurt, but tries not to show it. Aiming himself directly above her, he aims to kick her left thy and then flys to her left trying to head but her left wing.

Injuries: Sore right wing.

Defense: None at the moment :P

"blah blah blah."

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!
[ Okay. I am doing my teaching spars a bit differently just to experiment and see how this compares to the traditional. How it will work is you will post, I will make a critique, and then you have an opportunity to correct the mistakes I pointed out. This will present more of a challenge for me because I am typically on auto-pilot for training spars, but I also think that you will benefit more and learn more by being able to go back and see what you did and problem solve those situations knowing what was good and bad.

As always, if you are unclear about any point in this fight, feel free to shoot me a PM and we can talk it out.

A major problem I have with your post is the first large chunk, almost half, of this seems irrelevant. Look where your post starts compared to where your summary starts. This may be a bit awkward because my post was a lot of "before the fight" because it was still kind of intro, but you have the first post that should be centered mostly on the action. Here, you have two paragraphs that are still sort of backdrop that have been adequately set up in your previous post. Unnecessary fluff is okay if you are comfortably below the word limit, but when you are really FEELING THE FIGHTING FLOW, 800 words comes fast. Try to challenge yourself by keeping the fluff to a minimum, as the judge will appreciate a faster, cleaner fight as well. It's easier to judge a concise post.

I want to place a warning label on my last critique, though. Do not strip away the personal details so much that you lose Levi entirely. In this post, you have emotional and personality completely separated from the action by the dividing line of your fluff versus your movement. You will notice that on the rubric from your spar with Angel, she was hit hard with a critique on emotion. Emotion and prose are key elements, so being concise does not mean make your character a robot. It means make your emotion relevant to the fight. What are they feeling when they are trying to bite their ally? Do they feel anxious in the air?

For instance:
"Only for a moment, he was unable to see, but the rim of the sun remained in a blue circle as it traveled with the vision of his eye. Until he saw Kri coming at him, he had no clue where she had gone."
Here would be a great moment to mention panic. Would you be panicked if you knew Kri was coming after your ass but couldn't see her? I know I would be. xD How does Levi feel when he is blinded? Try to engage yourself in his emotions during the fight.

The next critique I have is more of mechanics, but this may or may not be my fault. I decided that I wanted to try an aerial fight with you because 1) they are more challenging than ground fights, 2) aerial techniques are useful when your main fighter is a pegasus, and 3) you are free to be more creative with attacks, which usually helps me get some extra points for creativity, but you can do so as well! However, I realize now that maybe it would have been best to start "ground level" so to speak, mainly because I am really wordy with my movements. I tend to throw really complex ideas about movement into one sentence, which I think you did not take in the way I had intended.

Kri is essentially dropping, and then continuing to fly vertically. Essentially, her head/neck would meet an extended wing, which I wanted her to kind of flip him sideways if her attack was successful. Here is a basic schematic. Remember that the sun is to the LEFT which is opposite the direction Levi is from her. This means that when Kri yields LEFT she is going away from Levi, toward the sun. If Levi had brought his wing down to his barrel, Kri would have missed it entirely, maybe being whacked over the head with it, actually. xD Why I would suggest not doing this is because when Kri kicks out now, her kick would probably hit his wing. /: YOU DO NOT WANT TO INJURE WINGS IN AN AERIAL FIGHT, WHICH IS 100+ FEET ABOVE THE GROUND. Lol.

Kri also would not have her neck close enough for Levi to bite. He could try for a back leg, but I typically warn not to bite at back legs unless your character wants to be kicked in the face.

"Aiming himself directly above her, the brute aimed a kick towards her back left thy." Spell check! But also, this phrase was troublesome to me. It read as powerplay to me, but the word aiming made me sort of iffy about it. Judges have pointed out in my training spars that I am a powerplaying nazi, but I really do not like when characters try to assume -my- position. You can say that Levi rises upward, trying to rise above Kri, but this seemed to place Kri into a more static position, which limits me in how I can interpret the situation. Also, as you can see from the schematic, her left thigh is more or less facing the ground, so make suuuuuuuuuuure you have directions right. It is better to NOT HAVE a direction than to put one that is wrong.

I would suggest that since Kri is kicking with downward force on Levi's shoulder, continuing to fly upward, that he would not be able to float above her as easily. You are more likely to catch her on the same plane, or I would probably do some acrobatic maneuver to avoid the kick and bring myself up above her. xDD IDK. It would be more realistic to have Levi fall a few paces and then come up after her like a bat out of hell. ;D

So, the quick version:
Work on incorporating emotion during your attacks/defenses.
Cut out some of the fluff.
Avoid sticky powerplay language. Be super generous to avoid it, if need be.
Draw out the battle. It can be an ugly little sketch, but make sure you know what is going on. ]

Boom Boom Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Please don't default this. I'd like to wait for Ava to come back. :D

Hidden Account
Ava
I smirked with a slight chuckle as my dear leader, Kri, had told me I am such a gentleman. My silver orbs traced hers analyzing the Sultana’s masculine figure, watching to see if she might make any slight movement. It was all about the types of strategies and nothing more in my opinion. Everyone had a different kind of style in sparring, but it helped, at least, to teach one another how to adjust and learn.

It was just then I could have sworn to feel the shift in the air. Cool Chills tingled down my spine like a spider crawling stingily down its stringed web as a sudden feeling of uneasiness collected in my stomach. Kri was known to never lose a fight, and I have fought many times, but usually they are not this experienced as she. My throat started to tighten and my muscles started to clench from the thought of Kri. I almost felt as though I was alone, but then again at the same time I felt doomed. I was frozen in fear for what seemed like eternity. Before I even knew what was happening the sun reflected its orangey illuminant rays into my pupils. Squinting, I strained to turn my face away from the blinding sun, looking DOWN. My vision was now stunned from the sun’s brilliant, but sinister rays. My wings still flapped at a steady beat, but my heart was racing with excitement. Clenching my jaw, the feeling got worse into my stomach now as though there was a storm dwelling inside. Tighter, my muscles squeezed, and quicker my heart raced. I felt hopeless as I grunted with anger waiting to regain my sight. With my eyesight being blinded, the only visions I had were in my mind. The stocky masculine figure of Kri was haunting me, hunting me down, and thirsting for my blood. Not even thinking about what my next move should be, I realized that I shouldn’t have underestimated her.

It was only a few seconds that it had taken for my vision to come into view once again, but it felt like an endless sea of hours. Quickly the chocolate figurine was closing the gap between us and fast. Her ocean blue eyes seemed to taunt me as I prepared myself for her strike. A feeling of an abyss now reappeared in my stomach once again. As she flew to my RIGHT, I saw her back leg start to come towards my shoulder. I tried to shift my body towards the LEFT, slinking into my left wing as hard as I could.. Before I knew it, Kri’s stocky leg pressed against my right shoulder. I grunted in pain from the impact. My teeth grit with agitation, but I accepted the fact that it already happened. Her hoof felt like a sharp blade cutting into my shoulder’s flesh instantly. My heart was still beating fast from the entire thrill of the show, but soon enough I knew that I was going to set Kri’s heart beating. Now it was my turn…

My square face appeared to be emotionless as I flew upwards, following the Sultana’s trail. Elevating myself, I flew higher into the atmosphere. Quickly I flapped my vulture wings with energy and strained myself to close the gap. The only thought that passed my mind was risky, but I figured it might be a good way to set my mood of the spar. I thought about it only for a few seconds before confirming my full attention to the technique. Taking a deep breath, I exhaled lessening my fearful emotions of Kri. When I felt confident enough, I flew to her RIGHT side to match her speed, but only for a second. Suddenly I dropped my right wing towards the ground and gracefully swung my weight towards the right as well and dipped downwards hoping to lower myself beneath her chocolate stomach. As I swooped on my way, I aimed both back legs for her stomach hoping to hit or stun her. Whether the strike hit her or not I pulled upwards, but as I did, I twisted my weight to the LEFT, to try and regain my position next to her. I attempted a full 360 and I knew it might now work for I knew it was risky, but I hoped it would strike her since it would be my only attempt for a strike this time. I knew that it was not clever to only attempt one attack, but it was a challenging one and most likely could count for more than one wound… but now all I felt was the chilled sweat that trickled down my forehead.

[ Phew, this took me SO long to try and revise. Thank you for not deleting this and for all of your critique it helped me soooo much!<3 I realize now what I was missing out on and I will try hard to take your critique and fix my writing for sparring. And you were so right the 800 words came to quickly it was almost like I didn't have enough! Anyways here it is revised and I hope a lot better! ^^]

Levi
Honor, Protection, Love.

That's what flows in my blood.

image credits
table by whit

Boom Boom Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Please do not default. c:
Ava agreed to give me an extension on the reply.

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

The sound of flesh against flesh, hoof scraping along the brutish muscle of a stallion, the shoulder. I feel the jar of solid weight hit against my own force, and I smile. I had been born a mare, which many in my former home had thought a place of weakness for one in battle. The male body, naturally more coiled with musculature, was stronger. However, long hours of practice and discipline covered the difference now. What beautiful fury my legs could unleash. What power lived in the extension of my limbs when in battle. I am no man, but a lady who is more determined and just as strong. I hope, if Levi ever had doubts against me, that this kick is enough to correct them.

I stream forth from the kick, using the push of his body to sail me forward, wings tucked tight to my sides to avoid collision with any stray limbs flying from the silver figure of Levi. My sleek figure stretches out, chocolate wings slapping the air like a mast upon a ship, once I am fairly certain I have cleared the expanse of his right wing, confused slightly by my lack of contact with soft down, but perhaps my Sergeant is good for more than just his title. Up and up sail, the wind catching my mane and twisting it in its gentle fingers as I soar, my ears tilted back to listen to the flap of familiar wings.

My stocky figure is agile and limber in the air, but the difference of length from tip to tip of my wings screws me out of the speed advantage when compared to Levi. His build was heavy from the draft of wars as well, but the mass of feathers which carry him now allow for a swift uptake of our distance, though I surely hope I gave him a work out in the process. It is not long before the brush of air from another's wings is felt on my rump, and I even my flight to a more horizontal and level pattern, my ascent to the thin airs of the heavens stopped. With the sun dying upon the horizon, stars begin to shine their tiny lights upon us as the world below turns a blood red. The night is approaching, but this battle is not ending with the day.

The cut of wings as Levi approaches my right side, and I glance over at him with a grin tearing across my features, masculine and sharp. It is then I see him dip, downward, air pulling him under. With a snort of gleeful surprise, I curve my own wings, only upward. I almost mimic his movements, only instead of sailing downward, I fly up and to the left, a wave rolling up a wall of dramatic sunset, though I am not entirely fast enough to evade the quick draw of Levi's hooves. They pelt the tips of my fleeing right wing, the force dulled and pain unremarkable, though I jitter slightly in my ascent as I roll upward, belly greeting the twinkle of starlight for a moment before I smoothly carve the wind back downward. Had there been lights to hover in our trails, Levi and I would have made a lovely "8" in the air. As he shifts left to try to regain his original position, I continue to slide down the slope of my roll, throwing my wings up to avoid their collision with his figure, though I cannot promise what may happen to his.

I allow the bulk of my body to swing down toward his right side, the left side of my barrel gaining momentum with the downward stroke of my flight, aided by gravity and the thin air of high altitude. I am hoping that in the confusion of his attack, he would not suspect my bold toss of my body. I stretch out my neck toward the left, aiming to bite at the right side of his neck, for even in the air the disparity of our height and length damns me. Perhaps, if I were to visit a God once more, I would request my state be raised and stretched just a little bit. Perhaps, just perhaps, then idiots would stop questioning my authority. Perhaps then, I would not have to kick so many useless equines in the ass.

One can only dream, I suppose.
""

[ WC: 736; 2/2; BULK and DANCE. ]

KRI the RESOLUTE</style>

[ The emotion was so much better in this post! I also appreciate you cutting to the chase and scrapping unnecessary details. I felt like you either lost or forgot about Kri's attempt to hit Levi's wing, though, and I think you also got your directions confused on your roll.

If you are on Kri's right side, and you dip down to the right, you are only going further away from her. You should have ducked his right wing but tilted left to get under her. I still figured what you were doing was like an upside down barrel roll, but you MUST get directions right. You can lose the judge entirely.

You improved a lot, though! Keep it going for this next post.

Kri's movement is basically a mimic of Levi's attack, only instead of barrel-rolling down she is rolling up, and then she is trying to slam her side into Levi's after she comes back down. Then, she finishes with a bite toward the neck and some jokes about her height. ]

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
21 days have passed. Levi defaults to Kri.
Kri receives 2 VP and unlocks the battle buff NUMB.