the Rift

Too Sunny for Shade! [Joining/Open]

Bernadette Posts: 14
World's Edge Mare
Mare :: Equine :: 14 hh :: 4
M.E.

Bernad(ette)

The delicate, tender memory of a giant of a stallion continued to float in Bernadette's brainpan over the course of the following journey. It was a subtle thing, quite unobtrusive in its presence; it was like white noise over the turmoil of her thoughts that calmed and soothed her from the inevitable panic she would have succumbed to. Thor had left her at the fringe of the “Threshold”, as that forest was called; she would follow the his scent and the scent of the weeds, the grasses, the trees and the slight hint of saltiness that permeated his musk; Bernadette deduced that he would smell like his herd members and his members would smell of their home.

It was a good thing that her thoughts of Thor were keeping Bernadette so calm and focused; as the dainty little gray thing trotted spiritedly through the heavy forests and lush meadows, she was certainly going mad with her fear. Her eyes were wide things, voids of colorless silver that sat like saucers within her skull; she held her head too straight, too stiff, while her nostrils were flared and huge gusts of breath were drawn into her breast. Her ears were everywhere; flicking to and fro, back and again, this way and that, listening to everything detectable in a mile radius.

The problem was that leaving the Threshold didn’t completely settle the churning, bubbling pit of terror that sat at the deepest pit of her psyche. Bernadette had hoped that the further away she had traveled from—from…well, that, she would finally feel a modicum of peace and tranquility she dearly, dearly wished for. As she mulled it over, Bernadette realized that she would probably never feel at peace; the fear of that possibility only set her heart thumping even harder. She didn’t want to be a slave to that—that…thing any more, even if it was only in essence. The shadows that clung underneath the trees shouldn’t scare her this much; she shouldn’t be a slave to these passions.

Such was her deep thoughts that when a certain saltiness came over the air, Bernadette failed to notice it. She continued to move in that hard trot, keeping her buggy eyes and swiveling ears out for that giant of a stallion that had kindly offered her a home on the World’s Edge.

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
Tender moments of The Threshold caught in my mind. They were not so much as loving thoughts that I would normally pay to Tamira, but more so, the sense of self-righteousness that came with knowing that I had allowed some new heart to seek refuge in my home, which would soon become their home as well. It was a calming thing that seemed to mask the constant roiling of my thoughts and while I knew that I needed to face them some time, today would not be that day. I had a foal on the way and I figured that I would be spending much more time aiding Tamira in the coming months that I almost felt an obligation to appease my rank in the Edge before placing myself on a minor hiatus. I felt a pending desire to see that all of my affairs had been settled and nothing was left undone. Which led me to thinking about Bernadette, the lovely silver mare that I had “rescued” from the gnarled fingers of the Threshold.

It was not so much that the Threshold was a place of great horror; it was more of a place in which those lonely souls of the travelers came to rest and I had only wanted to be the pillow in which they lay their head. I was sure that these brilliant creatures would amount to Mirage’s standards, though, I didn’t think they were set entirely too high. She expected respect and a desire to work together as a herd, but species and personality were things that would eventually be pieced together later.

Speaking of personalities, I had to chuckle once again at the memories of meeting Bernadette. She had such a strange personality and yet, she seemed to fit perfectly here. Or at least I thought she would. She was a mare full of heart and an underlying passion that I was eager to reveal. I only hoped that she would gain confidence here as I had done over the past few months. Everyone was so devoted and I felt as if they would open their arms to her just as they had done to me.

When I had finally encountered our borders once more, I noticed a lingering scent upon the light breeze. It was one that I recognized well because I had just greeted her some time before in the Threshold. The silvery mare had made it home and I was more than delighted to see her here, appearing to be so primitive and natural among the thin mists. The sun overhead was warming the soft grounds enough to rid them of the quiet fog that normally hung around my toes. It was the start to a beautiful day and while I didn’t want to ruin it by barging in on poor Bernadette, a part of me wanted to be the first to greet her.

I moved away from the tree line from which I had strung along closely in order to evade the rays of the rising sun and exchanged my position for something more revealing. The mare’s coat shone brightly beneath the auburn planet’s warm face and she looked absolutely stunning as she blended in slightly with the remaining lingering mists. A soft wuffle was passed from my lips to alert her to my approach, but I didn’t think that she would mind seeing me, due to the tension that rested upon her shoulders to suggest a mild hesitation that I had witnessed in the claiming grounds as well. “I’m glad you made it Bernadette. Welcome home.”

ooc| le crappay post..

Hellena Posts: 64
World's Edge Seer
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 26 Buff: NOVICE
Whit

Observations made from afar give insight, knowledge and wisdom without the necessity of interaction; it was my ideal method of learning. Some call me a hermit, others call me naïve, others still would call me foolish, and then there are even some who would call me wise. I am well learned of the ways of the world, many years have my hooves scraped the loam of the earth below, for what seems like eons have my violet eyes absorbed all that is around me, for millennia have my ears clutched to the whispers of the wind. I share my knowledge, with those who ask, those who prove themselves worthy, and able, to handle the consequences of it.

Slowly but surely, one member of this herd is working his way into my trusted view. The leader of the herd is strong, her return was celebrated by the very fibres that make up the trees, the dampness that makes up the mists which seem to be animated of their own will. But those that follow her, that work for the lands, that show their dedication through even the most menial tasks, they too earn the trust of a being who has been here almost as long as the lands themselves; me. With a strange, small, distant smile upon my pewter lips do I approach and greet the stallion with wings that will never lift his body from the ground, the large, dominating chassis of Thor coming into my sights.

Once again, he brings with him a promise, a fresh soul to wander our realm, a new perspective for us to consider. I tilt my tiara majestically to the dark bay steed, before I then turn my naturally inquisitive gaze onto this new mare; this little equine, whose colouration and build was similar to my own, though perhaps slightly more heavily set, paying homage to the elegant Spanish blood in her lines. I was finer, daintier, crafted more like a strong deer than anything equine. My cloven hooves pause in their approach several strides away from the duo, my tiara bowing deep, the long, spiralled horn upon my brow pointing to the ground as I greet them.

Violet, curious eyes rise once again to view what he has brought here, the smile upon my lips fading, but the kindness and softness behind my eyes remaining. "Greetings, and welcome to the World's Edge. I am Hellena." I speak softly, my voice holding a sort of faraway touch, as if it was a whisper overheard on a gentle breeze than spoken by the lithe, gentle creature that stands before them.

World's Edge Mare
M.E.

Bernad(ette)

The fear in Bernadette's breast was spiraling; she felt as though she were spinning out of control with the grips of her own paranoia. Suddenly stopping her pacing with rigid legs, she stood stock still amongst the flowing mists, allowing the cool, silky air to kiss her shaking body. She took a deep breath; the girl must calm down and must get a grip on herself. It was easier to find and snare a mind of madness; it was much harder to grasp the lucid dreams of a freedom-bound mare. Because she was certainly a mare, and one would do well to remember that fact. "Yes," Bernadette muttered to herself in barely a whisper, "....I'm a mare."

*“I’m glad you made it Bernadette. Welcome home.”*

Bernadette gave a soft squeal of delight; she knew that voice, as it was the only equine voice she had even really listened to. "Thor!" she said excitedly, prancing in place as she whipped her head from side to side, trying to spot the behemoth. It didn't take her long to spot him; he emerged from the quite mists, calm and benign in his own way and smiling down at Bernadette with those dancing eyes of his. Like a blanket smothering the coals of a long-smouldering campfire, Thor's presence stifled the flames of fear licking the innermost parts of Bernadette's psyche, quelling her anxiety and bringing about that excited peacefulness that Bernadette held so dear. Her blood pressure started to drop some; she could feel the tremors in her legs fading away, and her heart-beat slow to something a little more normal and sustainable. It seems as though the tiny mare wouldn't seize after all.

It soon became apparent, however, that Thor wasn't alone; a specter of a mare emerged from the mists, silvery and fine with a horn that shown like ivory. Bernadette turned curious steel eyes upon the lady; there was no fear in any trace of her posture, only a pleasant inquiring urge that was associated with the fact that this stranger was --also-- a mare like Bernadette! Wow! A real mare! An actual mare!

*"Greetings, and welcome to the World's Edge. I am Hellena."*

"Thank you," Bernadette said somewhat breathlessly; she could feel the beginnings of a prance beginning to stir within her legs, "It's...very good to meet you, a fellow mare. I'm a mare too, you know," She said sweetly, her tail flying upwards in a flag of happiness and friendship. Welcome, welcome all! What wonderful words!

~~~~~~~

"Hello!"
Goodbye!
Gettin' out of Dodge.

(OOC: lol don't worry about it. Clearly my muse isn't here >.<)

She was always such a peculiar creature, Bernadette. But there was something that I enjoyed about her, sought in her that I did not find in myself. Perhaps it was her enthusiasm for life and the likes. Whatever it was, I was glad that she was here beside me. Her excitement at the sight of me brought a warm smile to my lips and I couldn’t help but go to her in hopes that she would accept my queer show of affection. I reached down to stroke her muzzle with my own and while I was lost on the idea of why or how it came to happen, I was glad it did. Her scent was comforting, a reminder that I had soothed a fearful heart from the snares of the mere sense of unknowing. She looked tense as always but her shoulders loosened marginally in my presence. “It’s so nice to see you Miss Bernadette.

With that I followed her gaze beyond myself and into the misty background of The Edge. Hellena lie in wait as she had often done in the previous affairs of “hunting and gathering.” The Threshold was a cruel place as I thought about it, a real buffet of hearts long lost and waiting to be found. I guess that’s why I couldn’t leave her there… Bernadette was a lovely creature despite her quirks, but I was confident that she would fit right in.

Hellena, how nice to see you again so soon.” I waggled a raised brow at her and smiled. She was always sure to watch out for us in her own way and I respected her for it. She proved to me that while we came from different places in life, we all came together under the same sun, the same moon, the same indication of life that was signified in The Edge. I listened to the two mares speak pleasantly, losing myself in some false imagination that I would one day come to relate with. We had come a long way since Mirage had returned, but we were still working to overcome the mountains that lie ahead.
ooc| This made me cringe..

Hellena Posts: 64
World's Edge Seer
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 26 Buff: NOVICE
Whit

A brow arced curiously skywards as the maiden reconfirmed what my eyes and nostrils had already told me; she was indeed a mare, though I wouldn't go so far to call her similar to myself in anything more than gender. I glanced to the stallion who had led her here, a silent question behind my deep, violet eyes, but he seemed accepting of the creature's quirks, and so I rose to the occasion to imitate him. I nodded my agreement to this new mare, I believe my ears grasped her name just before as Thor uttered it, but I was as yet not sure exactly what this mare hoped to achieve within our borders. It was obvious there was a fragility about her - a common trend, I noted to myself, in mares that Thor managed to convince to reside here. Whatever the reason for that trend, however, I suppose there was a quiet pride within my breast growing at the thought that the mists of the lands that I find so soothing and informative could provide the same gentle caresses and comforts to others.

"Indeed you are, madam, and a beautiful one at that." My tones are polite, my voice quiet and subtle, like the mists that trickle across my lands. "Are you here to stay, Miss, Bernadette?" I test the name with a small sense of uncertainty, wondering if they would care to confirm whether I did indeed get its pronunciation correct. With a steady rhythm my leonine tail began swinging from side to side, its tendril covered end hidden in the mists that lingered at my fetlocks, its motion causing ripples in the foggy substance. A habit crafted from eons of standing by and watching, I found the motion often lulled me into a trance so that I might soon read the mists, though that was not my intention here and now, it might provide a small comfort to the tense belle before me; or at least, something else to look at and comment on besides our shared gender.

World's Edge Mare
M.E.

Bernad(ette)

Oh! The power of company! The strength of companionship! Like the blinding light of a sword of dancing flames, how it vanquished the shadowy foe of paranoia! It was surely a gift, oh yes, bestowed upon Bernadette by the hands of fate itself. Mayhap it was the gift of a home and, heaven willing, a new start, or at least the whisper of a chance at redemption. Possibly it was the beginning of a true family, the inkling of something grand and spectacular, sparkling in Bernadette’s path? Thor—how should she put his?—he was like the box, the container in which all of these things were presented to the fawny mare. He was large and powerful, mighty and just one swell stamp of a horse, kind enough to offer Bernadette this chance and broad enough to watch her back and keep the little thing swatting away at her nightmares. This older mare—her name was Helena?—wrapped the gift like a velvety bow of nightfall, and the kind words she spoke to Bernadette melted the grey’s heart, her liquid eyes dancing and radiant as she surveyed the Seer.

The manic energy was still there, oh yes; Bernadette’s limbs were in constant motion, up and down and prancing all about, while the gentle, foggy breeze caught the strands of her tail as she continued to hold it aloft, excited and cordial and oh so relieved. The shadows still clung to the undersides of many a branch around her, cat-calling her and jeering in her direction, though Bernadette paid no heed to the perceived whispers of this strange land. She was with good people—or at least, she would like to believe so. For the sake of her mental and possibly physical wellbeing, they were good people.

*"Are you here to stay, Miss, Bernadette?"*

“Oh yes! Yes, I would very much like to,” Bernadette said brightly, her voice a quiet, velveteen murmur that was at odds with her excitable nature, “Thor here was ever so kind to me and offered me a place here. I must confess I would rather appreciate the—the protection.” She stammered a little bit at that last, her smile faltering for heartbeats as she managed to catch a few mutterings from the shadows around her. You’ll do wrong, sweet thing, they jeered and teased, but Bernadette physically shook the words off of her shoulders, giving a delicate, mare-ish snort of defiance to the creeping creatures that wanted her locked away. She was too busy making friends. See! She could make friends if she put her mind to it! And no one was going to stop this little one from doing it.

~~~~~~~

"Hello!"
Goodbye!
Gettin' out of Dodge.

I suppose it would be nice of me to mention that Bernadette struck me all wrong, I mean, there was nothing to justify her queer tendencies, but of course Thor was more than willing to forgive her for her mistakes. I guess she was kind of quaint in her own way but then again, I guess her acquaintance was not my choice. If it had been mine, we would have left her standing in the Threshold all wide eyed and open-mouthed. The shadows really would have eaten her then and she wouldn’t have any right to complain anymore. I guess Thor was quickly proving himself to be my other half and how could I blame him, I was bitchy and he was not. He looked for the best in everyone and I, well, I made fun of them because it was amusing.

She spoke up against the quiet and her pitchy tunes were making my ears ring at the sound of them. Of course she wanted to stay here in the Edge, it was a wonderful place. I liked Mirage enough with her quick wit but I wondered if she ever saw a dull moment. Was her life all clear-cut and planned? Maybe she was just able to play it off like a pro. Hellena was much the same, because she always wore a serious smile. Did she ever laugh? Did she ever feel euphoria? Honestly females were not my strong point and obviously not Thor’s either because he was eager enough to stay quiet for the remainder of the meeting before deciding he was better off leaving altogether.

I guess leaving females to do their female stuff was the right decision because from the way Hellena was glaring at Bernadette, clearly as confused as I was on his decision, I think he felt a little insecure. After all, he was still a male. He didn’t understand the workings of their thoughts and their expectations. He sweet smile was enough to let them know that he was about to be down and out before he nodded politely. “I’m glad that you find everything to your liking. If you ever need my assistance with anything you know where to find me.” He winked at the pallid mare before turning to Hellena to grace her with a farewell smile. “It was nice to see you again Miss Hellena.” With that, he turned heels to run for the hills.

He had done his part and now it was time to move on to bigger and better things. Well, so he thought anyways.

OOC| I’m trying a new writing style but I don’t know how I like it… But I’m going to go ahead and pull Thor from this.