the Rift

Sleep, Don't Weep [Onni]

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

The hunter stares into the fire of the land and feels haunted and lost. He has felt the minds of murderers and martyrs; felt the essence of the very first resonate within his bones. Now he stands, fallen in the shadow of each and every one of them, struggling to maintain any semblance of balance. But he reminds himself of the cursed and their plight that lives on even past their death. It is too much to forget.

Manhattan seems relieved to be at his side. She remembers along with him, keeps up in time with his heartbeat and the ambling path of his unguided thoughts. She hears most prevalent now the voice of the cursed Sentinel; her master's most immediate father. Knox thinks often of him and the blood he drank at his baptism. It is his father's memory that has separated him from his brothers all this time; that has made him such a different beast. He is a monster still; a cold killer that struggles to feel emotion, but he is a merciful one. He sees those in his past who have killed and been killed, with mercy and with hate, with remorse and stoic pride, and he has begun to understand them all.

Resting on the surface of his soul, the Sentinel spreads his warmth. He tells Knox stories of a peaceful forest in a land now overrun by shadows, and urges the colt to lay his head to rest. Each voice of the past joins in unison, all telling him the same thing, yet each of them with different intent.

Rest your head by the flames. Sleep and dream of us.

And though he obeys, though he falls to his side at the edge of hellfire and awaits peace, he can not sleep. Manhattan falls in line beside him, her face against his own as a perfect image of the strongest bond the disconnected colt has ever known. For a moment or two there is nothing but the whistle of early morning wind and the sharp, biting crackle of earthen fire below. For a moment or two, there is at last a silence in his mind.

KNOX and manhattan</style>
you can't look me in the eye and say you don't feel like a little destruction.</style>
image by D.R.F @ flickr.com

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

onni.</style>image by safetylast @ flickr.com</style>

Weary, she was weary.

Cream colored hooves drag lifelessly through the soil and thick waves of tall grass, pale legs dirtied with ash from the shrine she had knelt beside. In her heart, the shaman felt a quivering of uncertainty. Having faith in her mother, having faith in herself, and having faith in the sun above - all of it was being subject to question. The impending war that loomed over the Dragon's Throat like a dark cloud made her wish not to return to her desert home, and with the disappearance of the Sun God from the Veins, Onni was struggling with her inner turmoil more than ever. Still, when the healer closed her eyes, she could distinctly feel the presence of the warm deity resting in her soul. The mare was quite certain if she called upon the Sun for his healing that it would be delivered.

Yet, there was a shadow in her heart that had not existed before. The glimmer of optimism reigned her personality, and it was the reason why she was able to lift herself from the ground at the Veins. The God of the Sun would not abandon her; he was kind. He would return to Helovia, to her, and listen to her thoughts when the time was right. Perhaps, he was watching silently above, allowing for the tobiano to sort her own thoughts through. Quiet support would have been appreciated, but for now, she was left listening the the beating of her own heart in her ears. Slowly, the she makes her way clear of the brush, coming into the clear of sandy soil and the belly of fire that rises toward the sky, ash and cinder floating easily upon the wind.

Her blue eyes delight in the sight of fire, thinking herself perhaps close to the Sun God now, closer than his cold, ashen shrine. However, as they trace the lines down, they note the discarded figures by the lip. Sky eyes widen in shock and her body, sluggish just moments before, leaps into action, her pale legs carrying her swiftly over toward the sickly looking stallion and his equally as strange look pet, a canine that made Onni quite nervous. Her duty was to heal the sick, however, and that would not change just because of a strange companion she did not recognize entirely. She slows as she gets close, nostrils flaring in alarm of the dog, but finding that the mass of black fur does not appear threatening. Nudging the leg of the young stallion gently, the healer gets a tiny bit closer.

"Are you alright?" Onni asks, her voice small and calm, like the sound of a fresh spring breeze.

She hoped that he was.

[ ooc; x.o sorry for the wait and general crappiness of this post. Will get better. ]
""

THIS WON'T END QUIETLY. </style>

Jen

The hunter's eyes are transfixed by the fire. It is his faithful companion that first notices the stranger, and rises to turn and greet her. Manhattan's leaving troubles the colt only faintly; though he feels a loss of physical connection, their mental bond is still strong and supportive of his heavy burdens as she treads farther from the edge.

The young retriever is miraculously calm. When she might normally have lifted her voice in a chorus of warning or protection, she now simply stands before the mare and takes her in. The pup's blue eyes understand Onni at once, and deem her no threat. Dutifully, Manhattan returns to her master. He is alerted by the gentle touch of her side against his own, and in a manner of moments he lifts heavy lids to turn and face her.

"Onni."

He speaks perfectly, his knowledge harmonized delicately with the Sentinel's. It is as if he knows the painted mare as well as his father once had. He sees the sudden understanding of the mare before him- kind, a fellow protector of Anarore- as an asset. He does not fear her (though in some sense, he fears no one); he knows she can be trusted. As he speaks once more in his own, affirmed voice, his body shifts to face her. "You're Onni. The sun warrior from the Islands. My father has told me of your courage," he rises to punctuate the final word and turns from the edge. The kinder voices murmur into his mind- some impressed with his sudden understanding of social cues, others still finding him lacking. "I'm Knox. Knox and fine, yes. I wasn't fine, but I am now," he states awkwardly, carrying himself a few paces closer to her on weary yet powerful hooves. Manhattan circles around him protectively, as if he is still a helpless child. Will he not always be, in some sense, to her? And will he not always, to some extent, feel the same of her? Even as she yawns in the early morning, poison dripping from her ruddied fangs, does he not still fear her gentleness will be her downfall? And even as he stands firm and gentlemanly before a stranger, does she not fear he will someday be utterly and completely alone?

It isn't a lack of the trust between the pair that creates such intricate diffidence; it is more of a mutual understanding that without the other, they would have died a long time ago.

you can't look me in the eye and say you don't feel like a little destruction.</style>

Hidden Account

The healer thinks little as her name slips off the lips of the stranger, and she even smiles from her worry to see that he is capable of speaking despite being passed out beside a massive pit of fire. The tobiano stands more weary of the dog, but the bitch gives her no trouble, so the concern crossing the features of the girl must have transcended species. The black dog goes back toward the boy, tossed and lost on the brim of the sulfurous pit, and Onni looks with worried eyes at him, until she begins to blink.

She blinks to herself, looking at the boy with a cocked ear, her soft voice drudged up from the depths of her chest as she scours his face for any details she recognizes. "I'm sorry, but I do not remember meeting you," her brows knit, worried that she has forgotten this soul and left him in the shadows of her mind far from her reach. He continues to speak of her but much to the painted mare's surprise, it is not of the Throat nor her healing deeds of Helovia. It is the Islands. Her eyes widen even farther, a pale blue, stretching on into expanses that mimic the large sky, though it would take a miracle for them to encompass as wide a territory on her pale face.

Memories of old come flooding back into her mind, fond and sad, light and terribly heavy. Her chest takes a twirl around, feeling her gut shift with the raw emotion that Isilme brought to her, especially when Onni was caught unaware. Suddenly, the tobiano remembers that she had left Lyhty behind in the Throat with her evaporation into air. The absence of his small body was missed now more than ever, as she resists the urge to lurch forward and collapse on the dirt in front of the boy. Today had been far too difficult to be thinking of all she had lost in Isilme.

Everything she had lost that she would never see again.

My father spoke of you. The mare takes a moment to look at him, his black coloring, the curled mass of his hair. It did not bring about any connections. Perhaps, her mind was just unwilling to chase all of the ghosts which crawled around in her mind, clutching at her heart now that she remembered them. Which face was the one that had given rise to this boy? Who was he? Had she known him well? Had she treated him fairly? Did he die? If so, was it honorable? Closing her eyes for a moment, Onni nods dumbly in agreement. "I seem to be lacking courage most days," she says with a quiet voice. "Though, I am glad some remember it still." For she did not.

He approaches her, and despite Onni's better judgment that he is ill, though he affirms he is not, she does not flee. The mare stands firm, but maybe his enticement of the past was what kept her planted. He had spoken of the Islands, had recognized her easily, so surely he cannot be an evil spirit. As he gives her a name, she has to resist the urge to introduce herself, but there is no need. Knox knows her already, though she was just beginning to know him. "Have you been ill?" her light voice open and honest, a genuine curiosity. Without knowing this strange boy past a name, Onni finds herself worrying about his well being.
""

Jen

The hunter feels his vision blur as his exhaustion takes slow control of his magic. It would be easy enough to fight off the silver, but he finds a sort of comfort in it. It remains at the edges of his iris, toying with receptors and making everything a smudged blur. The painted mare becomes a dash of brown and white, turned almost gold by the light of the heart. By Knox's side, Manhattan begins to circle her master nervously. Her fear for his well being rises as his magic fluctuates and heat rises in his breast.

It is likely due to the weather or the location. Perhaps, even, the mental stress of eight new minds is what brings the sweat to his brow. Maybe it is Onni's questioning of his health that suddenly focuses his attention on the faint feverish sensation coming to the surface. He finds it unlikely that it is any sort of real sickness; the young stallion has never been sick in his life. He shakes his head in defiance, keeping the heat at bay and forcing the silver back to within his skull. His vision clears quite suddenly, and his attention returns rapidly to the mare before him. Manhattan's persistent whining is just another thing to ignore. Just like the voices, the goddamn voices.

No, nice voices. Helpful voices.
Not voices, minds! Minds minds minds, minds of ancestry and wisdom.
Dark, murderous minds.

He starts to sense himself losing his grip on things and sliding into a sort of self possessed oblivion. The voice of the mare and the pressure of Manhattan as she leans into his cannons, shivering despite the heat, ground him. His tail, a thick and wild mess of curls, lashes out and returns to strike his sturdy knees.

But the pressure of the hair alone makes him feel as if his strong body might buckle. Surely it is some effect of his magics clashing, or just exhaustion after getting such little sleep. Surely it is all in his head, for he had felt fine until Onni had mentioned his health. But what else had she said? That she does not remember him, yes. How could she? Knox only knows her through the mind of Roanne, and it is unlikely that most know Knox himself is the Sentinel's son.

Manhattan leans into his fore-legs, pushing him forward with her body and slight encouragement. He obeys, in part out of a lack of will or strength to resist, and finds himself a few tired steps closer to Onni. "No, no. No no no," Knox repeats in quick succession only barely above his breath. His blue eyes dart from the reflected light of the heart upon the earth to Onni's own figure. Her wings, her carriage. It all seems so gentle and welcoming. He has met so few kind mares in his life; she comes to him by surprise. "No," he says at last, definitively this time as he turns his gaze to meet hers with surprising intensity. "I am fine. But I don't know you, or... remember you. My father does. Did. Does- I'm, I'm not sure." What began as a clear statement ends with a disappointing and indecisive set of stammering, and Knox ducks his head in a somewhat self depreciating and distressed manner. He feels so many minds pulling on his own, so many that it becomes overwhelming.

"Roanne the Sentinel," he blurts out suddenly, leading a shocked and concerned Manhattan to direct her gaze to his own rather rapidly. "The Sentinel was my father," he continues firmly, nodding as if to praise and assure himself even as he speaks with a fair measure of confidence. Very suddenly and inexplicably, her presence has made him nervous. Her questions have struck a nerve; Manhattan only wonders if it is Knox's own mind that struggles now, or that of another.

Hidden Account

Eyes that were blurry stared back at Onni, as though the fever was gripping about his heart. An ear flicks back uncertainly on the shaman's head as he lurches forward, uneven steps with knees that threatened to yield below him. As the mass of black curls swings forward from behind, the tobiano almost reaches forward to catch the boy should he fall, but he remains standing, albeit on precariously weak limbs. Onni's pale eyes look down toward Manhattan, who seems more or less unconcerned by the healer's presence and has apt attention on her master, but there was one thing the shaman understood. Companions knew the minds of their dear friends, so if trouble was in the heart of this stallion, she would likely know.

Unfortunately, the healer had never been versed in the language of dogs.

The answer to her question comes in fits, and the mare finds herself taking a careful step forward, even as blue eyes glance up at her. Stunned, she pauses for a moment, one hoof lifted in the air a few inches, before setting her teeth and planting her leg. His small steps, encouraged heavily by the dog who stays by his side, decreases their separation. Perhaps the deranged attitude of the stallion should scare the healer away, but for some reason, the overwhelming need to ascertain his health is keeping her from drawing back in fear. Foolish, maybe, for the winged lady to draw so near to him; she has no idea who he is, yet he knows her name. This would be unsettling to many, but for Onni she is just glad that someone in this world would recall her when so many rely on her for strength that she borrows from the Sun. The Sun, who abandoned her just recently, yet, not abandoned, no. The warmth of the fire and light in her veins, the healer knows all to well he is guarding her still. A sense of security and courage guards her from the truth that this situation is unstable. This boy is unstable.

"Your father?" Onni asks as his first strong sentence dwindles into an uncertain string of words. She pauses, light sky eyes looking at his as a smile of encouragement takes over her features. He appears distraught, trying to communicate with her, and Onni knows well how difficult it can be to talk to strangers. Despite his oddities, the informality of his speech, and the strange gate and wavering figure, the shaman thinks he is nice. Perhaps, the only thing he needed was a guardian and a friend. Blind to his age, for the stallion is full grown, the healer sees herself viewing him as a lost child, a boy, in need of guidance and care. She is reminded oddly of herself, back before she had found her way into Isilme only to find her mother had vanished with the fall of the Cliffs. The painted girl had been lonely and seeking guidance. She had found it in Voltaic. Perhaps, Knox could find a mentor in her.

Roanne the Sentinel. The Sentinel was my father. The mare closes her eyes, revealing a peaceful yet muddied pale face which hides the toss of emotions she feels behind a well closed mask. The mare had known his father was from Isilme, yet the memory came rushing back to her senses at the mention of his name. The shapeshifter that had been in the mansion during the final days, attempting to save their home. Virva and Moth had accompanied her. Moth had been put out with the shifter's actions much like the Guardian had been. "He was kind," she says while opening her eyes too look at his face, noticing the silver mottling upon his neck for the first time, a white bridle. The bridle Roanne had been wearing.

"Knox," she says, her voice calm and patient. "Are you sure you are alright?" Noticing the swaggering gate of disorientation, Onni is reminded of Coris, who had been suffering from an infection and heavy fever. "I can heal you of your fever... I am gifted with the power of the light."
""

Jen

The hunter needs no mentor. His only guidance in life until he was granted the knowledge of his ancestors has been Mandrake, and she has taught him only to kill. How will anyone else be different?

Manhattan knows better than he the truth of the circumstances. She is still young herself, but she is perceptive. She can feel the kindness in Onni's words just as she can smell the desert sands of the throat upon her: as clearly as if she were a fresh kill. She urges her master to accept the gift of healing, but knows that he will not.

He insists silently, to himself, to the minds of those past, and to his companion, that he is of perfect health. When the painted mare offers her services, he firmly shakes his head in a swift and unmistakeable gesture of denial. "The God of the Sun owes me no favors, nor I him," Knox speaks with audible effort to keep his voice steady and his tone one of deep confidence. "If I have taken ill, I will find my own way back to health," he adds conclusively as he gathers strength and steps to her side. Manhattan follows suit, acting as his concerned shadow and casting nervous glances towards the pegasus mare. She knows her master needs help, even if he refuses it. But what else can she do but hope he will someday change his mind?

For long before this day when the chaos united and the fever broke free through the bars of his ribcage to infect his body and soul, he was in need of aid. He thinks back now to what she said before offering to heal. He had not responded to her first words in a state of quickening delirium, her second had somehow managed to break through the haze. But now her first reaction finds him in the mists of his lost mind, and the words are strikingly important.

Roanne and Janos, having split their souls, think at once yet apart. Somewhere within Knox his dark father is proud, while his old shadow cowers at the thought of the greatness he had the potential to achieve. Regardless of their audience, Onni's remark strikes a chord. Knox turns very quickly to her, blue eyes turned amber in the firelight, and draws closer to her with a hesitant step. "He is glad that you feel that way," Knox says somberly, not thinking of the consequences. Surely she will think him mad.

But then again, isn't he? His black locks tighten in the heat yet wave in the cold season's breeze as he thinks upon his own words. Surely there is a way to share with her the thoughts in his head without losing himself once again in the chaos of his ancestor's influence. Is it not easy enough to tell her that he holds magic? But Manhattan urges him into silence, and keeps him from saying too much. He grits his teeth and turns away from the pegasus, unaware of how close he stands to her. It is strange how he develops such immediate physical closeness with near strangers- how he draws close enough to feel their heat reflected onto him, to brush against their skin before snapping their neck.

Yes, Hunter. That is what you were made to do. Kill her, Hunter, kill her like she was meant to be killed. But have your fun first.

He is scared. He hears the pervasive voice of a murderer tell him to kill. But it is not of Dovev that he is scared; he understands the sick depth of his ancestor's perverted knowledge, and has since grown to expect it. No, he is scared of himself, because for a moment, he wishes to obey.

Even when the moment is gone, when he looks upon Onni not with an unsettling lust or an inexplicable hunger but with the same unsettled congeniality as before, he cannot forget that it was there. The predisposition to kill still remains, and the murderer's voice still croons a warning into his thoughts: That darkness is in you, Hunter. It was in us all once, you can never deny it.

Knox wonders briefly if he will ever trust himself fully again.

Hidden Account

"I don't believe he keeps a book of debts," Onni says with a smile in return to Knox's firm denial of her aid. She will not force it upon him, but the worry does not erase from her face as he assures her that he is alright, or... will be. Maybe it is the stare she receives from the companion at his side that makes her continue to worry, or maybe her heart is grasping out to easily for another yet again. The painted mare was so willing to let others stay within her heart, resting easily in the warmth of her spirit. However, Onni has yet to realize that this approach is often seen as foolish and for good reason. Yet, for now, the innocence of the healer's soul is preserved, and her light eyes look at him openly. A child, yet unmistakenably grown.

A confused child, next, as Knox speaks once more. Her ear tilts back in question as he responds, but she doesn't realize to what at first. He turns quickly, eyes lashing in the light of the fire, but the mare does not retreat though something in her mind tells her to. The more unstable he becomes the more apparent it is to the shaman, yet the is something in his eyes that makes her stay his ground. What is it? The look of a heart reaching out through a fever? Would she feel guilty leaving him here when she knows he is ill? Truth be told, she is weary. Her heart had already been wrung heavily today, her spirit trounced upon. There was little that she should care about right now, but somehow, Knox becomes one of those things.

Onni, he is dangerous. This thought never crosses her mind. Instead, she is somewhat delighted despite being confused that her words had been taken well. It is not until after she smiles easily that she realizes what else she had said. He is kind, and he is glad you feel that way are statements born of the same thought, but not his - not Knox's. Her brow furrows more, but Onni knows that Roanne the Sentinel was a shapeshifter. She looks at the dog, black, much like all of the Sentinel's forms she had seen, but this is a female. Her lips tug down in a thougtful frown. His face seems open, as though he wants to share something, but then he rapidly turns away. Dangerous. Why does she not notice?

Even as his face warps into something unfamiliar, she is bustling about in her own head, blissfully unaware of the shift. It is not until his posture seems to mimic something close to fear that she glances up, her brows furrowed in worry once more. She comes to step beside him, standing with a good space between them. Onni, being more reserved, would not take it upon herself to be overly familiar when it comes to touch or physical closeness. "I don't understand, Knox," she says plainly, her voice calm but quiet. "You are not your father, yet you claim to know his thoughts."

A smile on her face as she draws up another lightening phrase, for the mood was turning sour rapidly and she wished that it hadn't. "Roanne hardly seemed to be as transparent as my own mother, so surely you cannot just assume his thoughts." She pauses again before turning to look at him directly, trying to inspire confidence in her with a bright look in her eyes. "Is he near? I know that he has many forms."
""