the Rift

a stroke of gold, midas

Israfel Posts: 54
Hidden Account
Filly :: Tribrid :: 16.1 hands :: 2 Years
Sparrow

I don't want to set the world on fire,</style>

The day begins to grow hot.

A pale form lolls beneath the shade of a lone palm tree, idly watching whales breaking the horizon. Wings itch with the urge to meet these gigantic creatures, to stroke their mighty heads. Their distant song reaches the shore with strange melodies, echoing through the barren beach with a tone as brassy and majestic as the creatures that sing them. The sand proves to be a worthy cushion to deal with such a divine weight, soft and cool, pleasing to recline upon. Israfel nibbles on a rather sad stalk of beach-grass, vermilion eyes intent on the antics of the aquatic mammals. It is brittle and briny on her tongue, but she likes the fishy taste of it, how she has to chew for the longest time before it disintegrates. It lasts long enough in her mouth, so she does not have to keep grasping for more. Anyways, she never really liked the dry cliff-grasses of the Edge; they are too soft and too bitter - she much prefers mother's milk, but those days are long gone. Childhood is swiftly leaving the young demigoddess, and the only fitting way to begin a new era would be to crown herself with a quest from her father, new magic. Amulet, zephyr feather, ruby from the Deep Forest. Absently, pink lips stroke a cool red facet nestled between two alabaster limbs, its color reflecting on her colorless hairs in bloody light. Where would she find the zephyr, or the amulet? They are rare things, mother said when Israfel asked her. Moodily, she slaps her (already) long tail on the sand, sending the tiny grains in a salty spray.

Israfel won't go actively looking for anything today, though; the growing demigoddess is busy watching whales. She needs whatever peace she can find - who knows what the future holds for her.

"Talk talk talk."

israfel</style>
  I just want to start a flame in your heart.</style>
image by wella691 @ flickr.com</style>
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
From on high I soar, midmorning air rushing through each feather. Bannering tail fluttered behind like a white flag of surrender. Usually flailing limbs were bent at a tuck instead of grabbing fruitlessly at empty sky. Today I was content to move at whatever speed the wind declared. Content. This was the emotion every Pegasus wanted to feel, perhaps every creature in his or her own way. We as a species had chosen long along to be embraced by the wild wind, and find peace with the natural world below.

Powerful, calm, and in-control; these were feelings I got when flying. This mortal body was perhaps my only leverage on life, mostly because so many things in my short existence was within control. But I could control just where a hot sun scored warmth across my back. When to pump wings into moist uplifts so that would carry their earthly brother higher without extra effort from wings.

Curiously alert gaze cast itself across the wide expansion ahead, watching as speeding landscaped shifted. Emerald faded to mocha, then tan, and finally aqua. Wonder still sparked within this soul whenever eyes beheld the mighty appearance of an endless palate of blue. These sights brought back fond memories of youth, and my time spent along the shores as a child. Playing in the sand and swimming until skin was puckered and wrinkled. A powerful screech broke idle thoughts of childhood; I turn to see, though I already know who is catching up. A bird of flaming wings comes up beside me; banking left until our speeds matched.

Pride couldn’t help but bloom whenever my eyes were upon her. She had grown over the past few months, body and voice getting stronger by the day. Our bond was also cinching tighter. Already wordless emotions began to wrap deeper. Soon we would understand each other completely.

Fina is forever an appearance of glory and fire. Her body was streamline, granting speed and grace; growing feathers were painted along the tips with the deepest of violets before melting into a sunrise of crimson, burnt orange and pale cream. Surprisingly out of the ordinary, my fire child was in a pleasant mood; her simple glee a surprise to make this day even better.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Israfel Posts: 54
Hidden Account
Filly :: Tribrid :: 16.1 hands :: 2 Years
Sparrow

I don't want to set the world on fire,</style>

The whale song begins to wane as the day dragons on, and still the fire child lays in repose upon the shady beach sand. Breaking the silence, a sea-bird begins to caw raucously as he skim over the water, greedy beak held open to catch any stray fish. He does this for a while, and Israfel is quite surprised when she catches a silvery body slide easily inside that wide yellow mouth. With an expression of sheer contentment, pale wings sweep away from shore, the gull's belly filled happily to the brim. Vermilion eyes follow him as he sails over the beach, toward a distant shoreline. A lazy ear flicks backward, and the bird disappears completely, enveloped by the welcoming green of the forest. Sighing, unappeased and bored, the girl regards the ruby jewel between her knees with deep uncertainty; she does not want to make father wait - she does not want him thinking that she is slow and useless. Cloven hooves dig into the dry sand, and idly, she watches the grains trickle away from the gilded horn of her feet, until there is nothing but the mesmerizing glow of sunlight on pure gold. Pink eyelids snap shut, long, pale eyelashes keeping the brightness from her eyes. Where will she find a zephyr? Who will care to spare her a precious amulet? But she desperately wants to please him - her father is her god, her idol, the sun of her sky and the light of her life. She cannot, will not, make him regret her creation for a second, even if that meant tossing every last creature into the sea and making sure that they drown.

In that same moment, a cry pries apart the silence and her frantic thoughts. It is almost like a scream, most certainly of the avian variety. She opens her eyes quickly, clambering frantically onto her feet and searching the skies. Lo and behold, her sprawling blue dress is no longer empty; suspended between the cosmos and the earth is a black and white thing, too large to be a gull. With it, there hangs the slightest, unmistakable trace of fire rolling off broad pale wings. Eyes widen - can it be? She unfurls her wings into the sunlight, the elaborate motifs sprawling across them glistening in the way only untarnished gold can. Israfel brandishes her pink nose towards the sky, flapping her wings until she begins to gain altitude. "Hey!" she calls, bolting as quickly as her feathers and the air below her allow toward the duo. They become clearer within a few moments; a piebald pegasus and a phoenix, a zephyr! It intrigues her instantly - how beautifully formed the bird is, how lovely are the flames rolling off her scrumptious cream-colored feathers!

Feeling as if she should prove herself to this fellow child of fire, the daughter of light summons the magic dwelling inside of her. Flames unfurl themselves from the markings on her wings, enveloping them entirely. Soon, when she draws close, Israfel appears a true child of divinity, like fire in the flesh. She is a firebird, a new goddess entire with twings that seem to be made entirely of fire (of course that isn't true; they are merely set alight, the flames riding on top of her feathers). With blazing orange eyes, the child meets the stallion and his zephyr with a bold smile and an inferno riding on her wings. "Hello," she chirps, angling herself so that she is flying parallel to the paint, noting his golden hooves with approval. "Your friend is lovely." Eyes drift toward Fina, admiring the bird, letting her gaze trace the sheer beauty of the phoenix. "My name is Israfel, and I was wondering - could you help me with my quest?"

israfel</style>
  I just want to start a flame in your heart.</style>
image by wella691 @ flickr.com</style>
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Our quiet afternoon flight wasn’t going to last for very long at all; the ocean was a popular gathering place for most walks of life. Especially in late spring. Eventually someone would cross our path. I could only hope that said someone would bring an interruption that wouldn’t be a total disappointment.

Fina flew alongside, quiet now. Bright eyes peering into the great expansion of salt and water, hopefully pondering about today’s slimy catch. “Do you only travel with me for the fish?” I ask jokingly through our bond, while also knowing that she adores eating almost as much as she loves me. The avian glances my way and chirps a soft confession, only to be topped with a mental laugh when my face turns into a mock scowl.

It was nice that we could share a little laughter every so often. Even if it was about how much she loved.

Suddenly, like a desert flower blooming from the pits of emptiness. A bright filly takes to heaven; her pale coat having gone unnoticed when placed among white duns and a shadowing palm. My gaze turns to catch sight of feathers that were dipped in ivory, and the topped with an intricate golden design. My head twists curiously towards said girl, “what was this about,” I wonder quietly.

"Hey!" she calls out.

Immediately I respond by thrusting heavily forward, and then pushing backwards with my thick feathers pressing air across and around so that this frame was treading air and mostly at a standstill. Thankfully I was light enough to perform such antic for at least a short while. Gaze followed the woman child who was rapidly approaching, “Good day little miss,” I called back, loud enough to be heard over the rushing water and whistling wind. But soft enough that curious ring couldn’t be easily hidden, what did this child possibly want from me? Her essence drifts along the breeze, but its tainted with ocean and bares no semblance to my homeland.

Fina falls short beside me, also treading. Frustration becomes apparent across her features. She didn't want to hover and talk. This filly was interrupting a possible meal, the golden firebird was about to dive away and leave me to break words.....when all of a sudden our pale company ignites nearly all of herself on fire. Attention had presently been grabbed by my hot headed friend, who had suddenly forgotten about a rumbly tummy. They shared a moment of enlightenment, both finding respect in the other; even a little of intimidation. With nearly mirrored interest, she stayed put.

My only thought was, “It must be quite a shock to see another engulfed in the sun’s light.”

She had only seen a few folks preform magical tricks, and none of which had been of the element of pyro.

"Your friend is lovely." Our company says with reverence and appreciation.

“Words to flatten her ego,” I respond with a breathless laugh, “I’m glad she finds your favor.” Offered title was responded with a thoughtful nod, this child was unknown to me so I thought nothing further beyond filing her name away and smiling genuinely in return.“Could you help me with my quest?" My reaction wasn’t of surprise, more of a bemused look of wonderance, at what a youth could possibly be seeking. Nodding again, I say, “If it’s within my power, I shall lend aid—tell me of this quest.” Angling toward earth I glide down and land easily across my own soft element.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]