the Rift

Changes [open]

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
[Image: sohtable.png]

SOHALIA

The Endless Blue is beautiful in the late spring light. The wind blows constantly here, and my banner whips along my nape, snapping to and fro. The sun shines high overhead, and though it bears the warmth of summertime, the breeze keeps me comfortable. This morning, the Throat was unbearably warm, though I will never leave its embrace because of the weather. My love is there, as is my friend Rowan, and my mentor Cassiopeia. I had flown here, taking advantage of my ability to do so, knowing that I will not dare in the near future, when my stomach starts to bulge and I begin to wonder when my child will be born.

I am pregnant.

The thought sends a thrill through me, and I can't help but smile, closing my eyes, allowing the sun and the wind to play across my features for a moment. I feel free, light, like there is nothing that can go wrong. I have always wanted a family, you see. After my parents died, I decided that I wanted to have a love like theirs. They were devoted to one another, and I have always wanted what they had. And with it, I have always wanted children. I remember when Phaedra introduced me to Note, mere months ago - she could not have known that we would turn out like this, could she? After all, wasn't she just grasping in the dark to fulfill her quest? No, she had thought of me when she had found Note, I was sure of it. Otherwise she wouldn't have placed me in his life. Would she?

Regardless, I am happy, blissfully so, and right now, I am not in the least worried about everyone else's problems. Opening my light blue orbs, I crane my neck around, look at my stomach, ever-so-slightly larger than it ought to be. "Grow strong, little one," I tell my rounded side. It is too soon still for me to feel a response, but I imagine that I can feel the babe settle. That I might, at any given time, feel it kick. Again, that little flutter of happiness emerges, and for the first time in many years, I am completely content to just be.

"talk talk talk"

Live... I want to live on fire
Die... I want to burn out brighter
Brighter than the northern lights
Want to live to feel the daylight

Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud
 Phaedra</style>
 & from your lips she drew the hallelujah</style>

The Endless Blue.

Most of the significant happenings in Phaedra's time in Helovia, had happened her. It was here she met both Tolio and Levi. Here she almost died with Apollo and was saved by her herd-sister Lakota. Here that she first met Sohalia and here again where she gleefully told the white mare of the prince-charming she had found for her. Maybe here will make it all better… She thought dismally, as her hooves sunk into the sandy shore.

Phae had walked here, and the walk had been extremely taxing on her new body. As if being pregnant wasn't a curse in and of itself, she also had the legitimate curse of the Moon Goddess to deal with. Her wings, no longer truly capable of flight, hung limply at her sides. Her mane and tail hair had fallen out days ago now, leaving only her awkward stump to point in a grotesque manner away from her body. Her once golden coat was matted and without lustre, and appeared to be infected with mange, or some other parasite. As if that wasn't enough, only 3 teeth remained in her once delicate mouth, making it nearly impossible for Phae to describe her current situation to anyone. Then again, perhaps she wouldn't have to; Phae's body had aged so significantly, and she was so emaciated and wrinkled that she bore almost no resemblance to the golden beauty she had been only days ago.

And so, when her sunken green eyes spied the familiar form of Sohalia down the sands a-ways, she decided to test that theory. If she was right, and Soh didn't recognize her well…maybe she could simply live out the duration of this curse and none would be the wiser. If she was recognized…Isn't that what friends are for? She thought with a hopeless chill.

Moving with little grace or coordination, the wretched-thing walked down the beach. It was an odd feeling, to see your own bones protruding in harsh angles from your skin, and at the same time know that your belly is swelling with life. But surely the Goddess would do nothing to harm the foal? Biting her lip, Phae didn't believe that she would, although there was little to substantiate this thought, only hope.

HP: 45.5

SOHALIA

I close my eyes again, content to bask in the sun's warm glow. I would lie down, but I am not at home, and anyone could chance upon me here. Perhaps it is a mother's instincts kicking in, but I would much rather be prepared, awake, able to flee if need be. I was not a fighter before, and I am even less so now. The waves crash against the beach, a constant ebbing, flowing roar in my auds. A gentle breeze gusts, sending tendrils snaking across my nape, tickling an ear; I shake my head, flick the lobe in question, open my eyes. Suddenly, an odd smell catches my attention, and I frown, trying to place it. Is that... death?

I turn my head toward the source, and immediately flatten my auds in a combination of fear and warning. The creature coming toward me looks to be a nightmare. Bones protrude from flesh, standing starkly as though it has not eaten in weeks. Wings hung limply, dragging along the sand. But it does not seem aggressive, and I stand my ground, unsure if I should stay or go. Surely this... thing... cannot fly on those wings? Worse, still, its belly is rounded, swollen, as though with child...

It comes closer, and I catch a flash of miserable green orbs. I look closer, harder, the lackluster pelt, the odd markings, the little mane that is left... My eyes widen, nostrils flare, and my lobes prick forward once more. It cannot be - I must be crazy - there is no way - it is not possible... "Phaedra?!" I look around, up in the sky, searching for a sign of Stella, my friend's bonded. Perhaps a sight of the bird will prove me right - though I am not sure that I want to be.

"talk talk talk"

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Deceased
 Phaedra</style>

Damn the once golden beauty thought, as Sohalia began to make her way towards Phae's decaying body. So much for going unrecognized...Phae had truly thought herself so gruesome that no one would be able to discern the body she was in now, from the elegant form she once had. Was she really so vain? Or perhaps Soh simply saw more in her, than she saw in herself? Phaedra was quite alright with being one-dimensional. She wasn't looking for enlightenment, or to be a scholar as the pretty white mare was. Phae was content with simply being beautiful and nothing else. So if Soh could still recognize her without her beauty....did that mean there was more to the golden-girl, than even she knew?

Phaedra?! She heard her friend ask incredulously. Lowering her ears shamefully, Phae sniffed the air, as if put-off by Soh's confusion. "Am I really so hideous?" She asked, almost fearfully, knowing that she was. What an odd thing it must be, to see such a disfigured and emaciated creature, who was clearly pregnant. Phae could feel the life stirring within her, pressing gently against her protruding ribs. It felt awkward and dangerous. Not of the first time, Phae wondered if the Goddess' curse would affect her foal. Could she really be so cruel? Would this curse not have come with some sort of warning, that it's effects would affect both mother and child? She couldn't imagine the look on Tolio's face if he were to find out that their foal hadn't survived simply due to her selfishness.

Turning her withered face back to Soh, she sighed and shrugged helplessly. "I've been cursed. By the Goddess of the Moon" She offered, as if it had happened with no antagonizing on her part. High above, Stella trilled happily as she began to descend towards the white pegasus, joyful to see a familiar face. Her bonded seemed to be hiding from familiar faces lately, although Stella couldn't quite understand why. She was pregnant, shouldn't this be a joyful time? Perhaps she was simply young and naive, but the little chick new enough that something was wrong; she just didn't associate it with Phaedra's outwardly appearance.

[Is Soh showing yet?]

SOHALIA

Stella trills happily, and my guess is proven correct. I move a little more quickly now to her side. She doesn't seem particularly happy to see me - but then, she is probably horrendously ashamed of her appearance. After all, her beauty is perhaps her most identifying factor, at least to her. I know her to be a good and true friend, loyal to those she cares about. She is beautiful, don't get me wrong, all golden locks and charm and sweet words. But I know her better than that. "Hello, Stella," I call, and my voice is calmer now, though her emaciated body sends pangs of nausea through me. It's not the appearance, though - it's worry.

"Am I really so hideous?" she asks, and with the worry, a blossom of guilt grows in my breast. "I... well, yes," I say bluntly. There's no nice way to put it, really - she doesn't even look like the same mare. "But that's not what concerns me. Are you sick? Are you..." I trail off, not sure what else it could be. "I've been cursed." Oh, well that just explains everything, now, doesn't it? I stare at her. "What in the world... no, I don't want to know. If it helps, Stella gave you away. I might not have..." Would it be better or worse for her to think I might not have recognized her?

"And, for the record, I'm glad she did!" I continue with a reproachful look. "If I'd known you were going to go off and get cursed, I never would have let you go alone!" I stretch my maw toward her belly, so distended, so grotesquely disproportionate. Does the curse affect her foal? Just how cruel is the Moon Goddess? A shudder passes over me, and I think of my own rounded belly. I am not yet as large as Phaedra, but there is a definitive bulge. What would I do if I were cursed like this? Does she eat? Can she eat? Is the foal going to be healthy? Or will it be cursed as well? How long with the effects last?

What in the world did she do?

"talk talk talk"

Deceased
 Phaedra</style>

Well, yes. Phae was actually surprised to hear such a blunt, honest reply from her snowy friend. Soh was usually so polite, and politically correct that Phae was taken aback by her blatant honesty. Of course she appreciated it, but even so, it was a shock. As she listened, she wondered if Soh assumed that she had been cursed along her way to tell Tolio of the foal. Mmm.. She thought, there could be some benefit in letting her believe that... She didn't want to lie to her new friend per se, but nor she she want to simply come right out and tell her that the curse was a result of her asking the Goddess of the Moon to grant her magic. Siren magic - the ability to increase her feminine-charms magically. Somehow it seemed fitting in her mind - she was going to be a single mother after all, connected by a child to a gay stallion who was a part of a racist herd. It wasn't like she was marring their prefect family image, after all.

"I think the foal is fine...I feel it moving, quite a lot actually. I don't believe the Goddess would be so cruel as to curse me and an unborn life..." She muttered hesitantly, having no real evidence to support that claim.

Realizing suddenly that she was not the only one who's appearance had changed, she noticeably moved her muzzle out to the left, to take in Soh's rotund belly. "Why sugar!" She exclaimed with genuine delight. "Tell me that isn't just all clover weight - Are you pregnant?" Exhilaration wafted through her body - at least she would have someone to share in this experience with.

SOHALIA

"I think the foal is fine..." I sigh in relief. Hesitantly, I brush her side gently. It feels... wrong, though I cannot describe exactly why. The life, though, it pulses inside, and I am reassured. The velvet skin of my muzzle feels odd when I pull away. I sneeze. "You know, they say when the foal begins to move, you're that much closer to the birthing." I speak in a very matter-of-fact tone; it is a rhetorical statement, and I do not expect her to respond., though I do hope that she keeps it in mind in future exploits, at least until the foals are born. Or I could just follow her around. That would probably be more effective in keeping her out of trouble.

I sigh ruefully, shaking my head at her, but there is a playful smile decorating my maw. Now that I have gotten over the shock, I am unfazed by her appearance. She is my friend, and we have fallen back into our same habits, our same routines. "Why sugar!" she exclaims, and for a moment, a bit of her spunk returns. "Tell me that isn't just all clover weight - Are you pregnant?" I laugh, a free, bell-like sound. "If I told you it was clover, would you believe me?" I tease. "Yes, I am." There is pride in my voice, in my swollen body. "Not so far behind you, actually."

What would happen to her foal? Would it remain with her in the Grey, or would it be whisked away to live in the Basin? Would my child have the chance to know hers? Would they be friends? Could they be friends? An uncomfortable thought sinks in - if her child goes to the Basin and is raised by those among them that are racist... My foal will without question be a pegasus, won't it? Don't the children deserve the chance to get to know the other species? Or are there enough within the Basin to protect her foal that it will understand that the lack of a horn does not make you evil?

"talk talk talk"

Deceased
 Phaedra</style>

[LMAO. Or I could just follow her around. ]

Soh's words made her shutter unconsciously. It had taken her this long to come to terms with simply being pregnant; she was not necessarily ready yet to accept that she would soon be a mother. Carrying the foal inside of her body, was entirely different than having it on the outside. She wasn't ready for that yet. What would it be like, her foal? Would it be a colt? Or a filly? Horned, or winged? It should be built quite well, given her and Tolio's bloodlines, but anything is possible, really. What if it was ugly..?

As the white mare spoke, breaking Phae's unhelpful line of thinking, she laughed genuinely and shook her wrinkled muzzle. Suddenly their last conversation replayed in the cursed's mind; hadn't she asked Soh to get pregnant to make this easier for Phae? Her laughter ceased as she look quizzically at her friend. Surely she wouldn't...wouldn't make such a life altering decision just because Phae had asked her to? "Did this...having anything to do with what we spoke about before?" Phae inquired hesitantly, almost afraid of what the answer would be. Did she truly want to know the answer? What if she had? Phae could only imagine the sort of debt she would forever have to the mare, if Soh brought a life into the world simply to appease her.

SOHALIA

I think back to mine and Phae's conversation that day on the edge of the Throat's land. She had joked then about me getting pregnant - but I had taken it as just that, a joke. Still, though, when she left, I found myself thinking more and more about starting a family. I found myself wandering what our foal would look like, if Note would be a good father... if I would be a good mother. I wondered what it would be like to carry that life inside me, to feel something so precious, so valuable, grow within me. I wondered how bad the pain would be when I gave birth - I've heard stories, of course, what mare hasn't? But I'm sure it cannot compare to the reality.

And then I had come across Azeen in the Threshold - Azzen and Note. And he had seemed to get along with her, and I loved him all the more for it. And again I found myself wondering what our family would be like. I may have adopted Azeen, but we did not share that bond that I was sure I would have with my own, that bond created by carrying them and nursing them and taking care of them. And so my desire had continued, sparked, perhaps, by Phae's questioning, but by no means caused by it. And that day in the Fields had been so effortless, so natural, so easy...

"Of course not, Phae," I answer with a rueful smile. "You got me thinking about it, sure, but after Note and I talked about a family... well it was just the natural process." My tone is amused, perhaps even a bit joking, as I had voiced concerns to her that day about what it would be like, to give myself to Note in that way.

"talk talk talk"

Deceased
 Phaedra</style>

...a natural process...

As her friend spoke, a knowing toothy grin broke out across Phae's wrinkled and mangey muzzle. She remembered Sohalia telling her once that she had never been with a stallion before; it was adorable to see her now casually brushing it off, as if it were nothing. While certainly Phae had been with a few stallions who really were nothing as far as that goes, her first time was certainly not one. Nobody's was.

"Uh-huh. And how was the natural process?" Phae quipped, her laugh sounded like a wheeze, rather than the melodic phrase it normally was. Still, the pure amusement could not be concealed even by her sunken and weary eyes. She was actually quite surprised that things had worked out so swimmingly between Soh and Note - truthfully, she hadn't really liked the stallion much when she first met him. Knowing how much she adored the white pegasus now, she wasn't sure given a different set of circumstances whether or not she would have matched them. But, that all went to show simply how knowing the God's truly were, when they dictated quests.