the Rift

Explore On| open

Ilka Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Ilka raised her head to the wind. The winter-like chill had dispersed, and it left them with a land that was springing back to life.

Her journey was so long that her legs ached for rest. Her muscles were growing weak,
and she could walk no more. She could sense these were discovered lands, but against
her better judgement, she did not continue on.

Her drawn-out walk faltered and she was left standing - like a stick in the mud.
Her eyes took in the surroundings. The moon had just made it's peak but it was
still positioning itself in the night-driven sky; signaling the ending to another day.
Her audits flicked back and forth as the nocturnal creatures would soon be wandering about.

Ilka took in a deep breath, and let her nostrils flare as they omitted a harsh snort.
She wasn't letting her guard down, not now, as she knew better. She was only lost in thought.
This was noting new to her. Ilka could often be seen wandering about with her eyes so very distant.
She lived in her mind - always thinking. Her mind constantly ticking like an old grandfather clock.
Nothing in the world to see or do, just think of it all. An outsider looking in, another mind to keep the world guessing...

She shook her head as sleek velvets parted. ''Oh, enough of it'' erupted a faint voice.

She looked around as her thoughts quickly engulfed her despite her attempts to stop them.
Where exactly had she landed herself? After years of walking alone she had seen and taken in
various locations..but this one was rather..different. In such a funny way it seemed..almost.. inviting?
Possibly a snappy trick of a devious clan? A real oasis? Another territory?
What would they think of her bombarding in?
All her life, she ran from others. The trust was just never there, so she avoided them all at any cost.
Though deep down, the thought of coming face to face with another of her own kind became exciting to her.
She could not deny this.

Ilka was sure to hurt herself had she not closed her eyes in mid-drift.
Whoever was around, be it anyone, would meet her at her most vulnerable state...or was it?

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

"It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for;

It was through the darkest of shadows that he moved through the Threshold, his black and white painted body blending spectacularly with the shadows that were offered. The spy’s honey-brown eyes were soft as he kept his eyes open, moving at a leisurely walk, as if truly in no hurry. Since his day spent with Phaedra in the Endless Blue, little had feared Apollo any longer… Darkness was one of them. In the Threshold, with the moon cascading its gentle caress of lights that cascaded through the trees, there was little to fear. His eyes adjusted to the darkness, and that alone caused him not to worry. Where as in his home in the Deep Forest, the darkness was thick and inky, almost as if it were a substance that he could spear with his icy horn.

Here… It was pleasant. Relaxing, almost. With a small smile decorating his lips, the stallion picked up to a calm trot, nostrils flaring as he weaved through the trees. His foot falls were muffled, just gentle thud, thud, thud’s that echoed softly throughout the stale air of the Threshold… Long, ebony strands of his tail flicked free of the branches of a low-hanging tree, and with a snort the stag tossed his head, a feeling of freedom leaving him exhilarated. Since escaping the Kraken and defeating the wolves by the ocean, Apollo had found himself filled with a sense of pride. He and Phaedra were alive, surviving a pack of six wolves and a sea-monster with coiling, deadly tentacles…

So lost as he was in his thoughts, Apollo froze upon hearing a voice, softly cutting through the air. Pausing in mid-step, the stallion tilted his head, the ebony strands of his forelock cascading slightly over the base of his crystalline horn. The Unicorn snorted then and stamped a hoof.

“Hello?” He called, then ventured further forward, surprise pushing aside confusion when his honey-brown orbs landed upon the form of a rather pretty bay. She was a lovely creature, he surmised, who stood about his height, a dark mane and tail framing her figure in a pleasant way. Her scent was foreign and new, a clear sign that she wasn’t from Helovia… More than likely she was a stray who had just wandered in. Taking another step closer to get a closer look, a hint of concern marred his gentle gaze. She looked tired, this mare, as if she had been walking for a long, long time... Allowing a welcoming smile to cross his dark lips, the boyish stallion dipped his muzzle slightly, kind eyes locked on her.

“Hello there! I’m sorry if I startled you… My name is Apollo, and welcome to Helovia.” Straightening, he shook his head once more, blue horn catching a ray of moonlight. “It can be dangerous to wander the Threshold alone at night...”

I can never fight for myself, but, for others, I can kill."

Unregistered
Night had to be her favorite time of day. The crisp air of the season only added to it's beauty.
She loved the stars and the darkness. She could take in the stillness around her and it made
her feel at peace. If she were to open up at any point, this was the time to best grab her interest.

The actions of a gentle tail swish distracted her brain. Though it took merely seconds for the sense
of another to clear her, and for her focus to rest upon the creature that drifted near.

Ilka's stature became tense and unsettled. Peering through squinted eyes, she stepped back and closely observed the stallion.
Black and white traced along his body like a map. On his head, a horn? She had not seen such a thing in her life.
Ilka blinked sharply as her attention snapped to. She couldn't be caught talking straight to it that is.

His words began to wrap themselves around her audits. She listened attentively as they sunk in.
Her tension ceased as he went on, but when he stopped, it overcame her once more as she realized
she must now make sense of her situation.

''Hello'' her voice shaky, Ilka's neck dipped slightly. Her eyes still carefully fixated,
she uttered her next few words. ''Apollo? Pleasure meeting you. I am Ilka.''
Apollo. She repeated the name to herself once as it intertwined itself into her memory. Once is all she needed.
She was certain that whatever faces she met wouldn't be soon forgotten. After such a depletion of
them in her mind, how could they?
The mare's thoughts then began to drift.
What he said, was it intended to push her to fear? Danger at night?
She would surely have to find out.

Friend - or foe?

''Pardon me if I have bothered you. If it is not of any trouble, may I ask..where exactly..'' She paused.
Her vision shifted from the shaded frame that stood before her as she scanned the land around them. ''..have I found myself this time?''
With no particular target, and her attention now lost, she directed her eyes to the corner in an attempt to put him back in her view.

Apollo’s keen eyes noticed immediately how the bay mare twitched and stiffened, as if she was unused to being approached. Understanding that he may have intruded where he wasn’t wanted, the stallion halted in any advancement, allowing his head to drop slightly to appear less threatening. The last thing that he wanted to do was scare her, especially since the paint was far from the most intimidating creature to walk Helovia’s surface.

’Pleasure to meet you. I am Ilka.’ So, that was her name… Her words were soft, and Apollo’s black ears swiveled forward as he listened, head tilting slightly to the side with genuine interest. There were few in Helovia who he had actually met, aside from those of the Grey, his family. Allowing his smile to grow, he lifted his head, honey-brown eyes locked softly upon her pretty face. It was only then that he spotted her brown eyes… The color suited her, he thought to himself.

“The pleasure is mine, ma’am,” he said softly with a chuckle, lifting a hoof to idly scrape the appendage gently across the dirt beneath him, “And no, you haven’t bothered me. I was just taking a stroll and enjoying a night of freedom… Where you stand now is the Threshold of Helovia, the land that surrounds this forest. All newcomers to the area arrive here, actually.” The overo could vividly recall his own entrance into Helovia; where he had been chased in by wolves, only to be found by Phaedra and offered a home… A home. It was something that he loved having, somewhere structured where he could thrive and find purpose.

“Now, if I may ask, Ilka… What brings you into Helovia?”

Unregistered
The trees helped her feel secure.
So scattered around her, they worked with her at night but could make her feel like a caged animal during the day.
Always trying to swerve around, find her way out, but sometimes getting blocked and feeling as if she had to turn around.

The auburn mare released a deep breath from frozen nares, which created a soft haze that soon mixed with the wind and tapered off.

One could always tell the most through another beings eyes. It's something Ilka looked to first.
Of course, which was repeated like a broken tune, the interpreter of the soul - the eyes.
So unconscious yet faithful that they could never object to the honest feelings behind a word spoken.
True, loyal, interpreters - and she always believed it.

Therefor, the look of gentleness in the orbs of the checkered wild that stood before her forced her bulk to ease itself.
He did not immediately act as a threat, his words passed easy, so how could the mare deny one a chance based on her own unjustified fears?

Sturdy poles relaxed just as the mare's strung out hock-kisser did simultaneously;
signaling the real end to her anxiety. For the moment.
While her willful aerials took it all in, the information became clear in her skull. So this place did have a name.
This open landscape that she thought was only the umbrage of the next chapter to her journey. Well, surely it was now.

Threshhold of Helovia.
''Sounds like a portal.'' The words just barely passed her lips before closing tight in an attempt to ensnare them.
She found herself speaking from her thoughts..thinking out loud..

That was weird.

A miniscule smile pinched the corners of her trap and she lightened a bit.
''Well, I appreciate the information, dear Apollo.''
How interesting it was to hear she landed herself in place of the new.

Just as she heard his inquiry, a lost look spread across her pallet, and it was bright in her optics.
Ilka had never thought of where she was going, what she was looking for, or how she would ever get there.
''I suppose...'' her words trailed off un-easy as, with little sound, new ones took place.
''I can not honestly tell you what brought me here. You see, I left my own home long ago.
The thought of being around others, running in a unit as I did when I was young,
or not being completely alone always sounded...out of the question.
I'm only opening up to the idea again. Maybe it's time to start looking ? If this place is what you say,
then it fits as an appropriate place to start? ''

She had to admit that to herself, and could not decipher if it was out-loud only to answer his question, or so it did not become confused and un-stated in her own head.

This was hard for her to squabble about. Ilka never knew what brought her anywhere.
With her favorite season still there, but not nearly as harsh as it begins to leave just a signature
through its tracks.. recent times forced her to feel as if she was only trying to catch up to it's squall.

She could certainly live with feeling a little more..guided, or surrounded..and not so very..lost and aimless.

There was little he could do to help himself but tilt his head curiously to the side, watching with a strange sort of fascination as she mulled his words over in her head. In the back of his mind, Apollo was aware the he could very well be mimicking an own, but refrained from speaking of that out loud. It wouldn’t due to have Ilka think him ill in the head for saying such nonsense… Maybe if they got to know each other a bit more, then he could loosen up and joke around with her? That same smile upon his lips, the overo nodded.

“You’re very welcome, Ilka,” he said, a sense of pride swelling in his voice and causing him to puff his chest out rather adorably, “I’m glad that I could be of help to you.” Growing quiet once more, lest he make a fool of himself, Apollo listened as the auburn mare spoke of just why she had ventured into the Threshold. It sounded rather confusing, he surmised… But then again, who was he to judge? He had left his own home years ago, desperate to escape the unsafe ferocity that had become his herd-life… With a harsh shake of his head to rid himself of such thoughts, Apollo cleared his throat and spoke, honey-brown orbs landing once more on the bay and ebony creature standing before him.

“Honestly,” he began, taking a small step towards her. The grass beneath his hoof cushioned his weight, causing no sound to erupt from the bulk of his weight. “I would say that there’s no better place to start looking for a home than Helovia’s Threshold. There are many herds in this land; the World’s Edge, the Dragon’s Throat, the Windtossed Foothills, and the Aurora Basin…” Apollo trailed off then, brows pinching as the pondered just how to say what he was thinking. “Although… I’m afraid you won’t be allowed there, Ilka. It’s home to a group of racist unicorns, and they only like others with horns. If you’d like, I could lead you to one of the herds?”

Shifting his weight slightly, the stallion grew quiet, simply allowing for the bay mare to soak up what he said. There were many choices once one came into Helovia; where they would go, who they could meet, what their lives would entail… There were so many places one could call home, it was quite unnerving at times. “Of course… If you don’t want to live in a herd, you don’t have to.” Here, Apollo’s voice was once more tinged with pride. He was an outcast, yes, but that didn’t mean he was left without a family or a group of others to rely on. He would, however, refrain from mentioning his family for sake of secrecy. ”It’s completely up to you.”

Unregistered
The mare raised her maw slightly as she listened. The Threshold was indeed a very complex place.
She began to wonder just how long she may have been wandering around undetected. Surely this
was a large perimeter, but what if she had been at herself in circles?

Ilka ran over the words in her head and she soon mumbled under her breath.
''The Windtossed Foothills. I bet that's nice?''
It did sound rather exciting when it first escaped the lips of the stranger. Just the name sounded
so...poetic to her. Normal to her nature, the mare's focus became blank and left her as she pondered
the thought of not being accepted into a group. It had been so long, what if she screwed it up?

Just before her thoughts ran rampant on this matter, the mare began to analyze the rest of which
he had spoken. Quite a few options the inklike mass had given her. Other than the Aurora Basin,
which the stallion had kindly explained would be no place for an average equine such as herself,
only one really stuck out to her as seemingly..different.
She was far more than curious about it, and was compelled to ask as it got the better of her.

''If you do not mind me asking. A loner? If that was your choosing then, Apollo
..how does it work out for you?''
To always be indecisive of ones next move would be strange.
Even though this is how she got on for some time on her own, if Ilka did not surround herself in
the company of others..she would surely turn into an old loon soon enough.

But to be on ones own, a great sense of freedom was only certain to be endured?
Is that not what they lived for?

The bay mare's auds flickered abnormally. Her frame squared itself as an inquisitive spark lit up her eyes.
She didn't mean to give him the third-degree, but it was a big part of Ilka to ask questions. She loved to learn, but
learning the way of others had always brought some sort of fascination over her.

Or her manners were simply coarse.

ooc: Sorry, I had to wait to write a serious post. The racist unicorn line tickled me too much to try sooner.

The longer that he found himself standing in Ilka’s presence, the more comfortable Apollo became, falling back into his boyish personality instead of the proper façade he had been displaying. He realized that she, too, was becoming accustomed to him being around, and seemed less fidgety and flighty. The mere thought made him smile. Tilting his head once more as she mare finally seemed to come to a conclusion, he listened, ears swiveling forward to better hear her softly spoken words.

“The Foothills?” He asked, honey-brown orbs taking on a rather quizzical glaze, “Oh, it is a lovely place, and not too far. A little ways north from here, I believe…” Abruptly, the unicorn paused and then shook his head, a good-natured chuckle leaving his dark lips. “I mean, I’ve never really walked through it, since I don’t really belong, but I’ve ventured past and it’s quite a beautiful place… If you’re looking for somewhere peaceful to settle down and start over in life, I’d definitely recommend it.”

Apollo hoped that his words would suffice, as he was speaking the truth. Never had he stepped foot in any herdland, for sake of being mistaken for one of the Basin-goers. Of course, despite the racist bunch who resided in the Frostbreath Steppe, there were those who weren’t racist that lived in the frozen tundra. He hadn’t seen it with his own eyes, of course… But, still; being a spy had its perks, and ears were everywhere.

Refocusing back on Ilka’s pretty face, the black and white overo could practically see the thoughts churning in her head, as if she were contemplating asking him another question. He kept a calm and collected, if not good-humored, expression upon his face, yet just as he was about to inquire if she needed anything else, she spoke. If you do not mind me asking. A loner? … How does it work out for you?’ Apollo paused for a second. How, indeed? No one had ever really bothered asking him such a question…

Clearing his throat, he thought for a few moments before answering, choosing his words carefully. “Well, Ilka… Honestly, at first, I wasn’t sure. I was kind’ve lonely, but the more I ventured around Helovia, the more friends I met. Now, I don’t mind it so much. I don’t think I’d join a herd even if the option was brought before me, ‘cause I’m perfectly content with where I am now.” He smiled, a handsome expression upon his maw. “I’ve found a home of my own, and that’s all I could ask for.” For structure had been the one thing that he desired all his life, and finally, he found it in the form of The Grey.

[ooc: It’s fine, dear. :3]