The Art of Reflection [Grey/Open]

Circe Posts: 101
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
M.E.

Circe
The Shadowmere
~~~~~~~~

Birdsong had melted well and truly, falling down upon the frozen lands and quenching the thirst of Gaia. The Earth sang out joyfully, a cry of rejuvenation and rejoicing in its rebirth; the creatures were content with the crystal wealth that Birdsong bestowed upon her kin, allowing them to be fruitful and multiply, rewarding them for their steadfast resolve to life and commitment to their young and kin. Though Birdsong faded gradually with the months, diminishing her gifts upon the land; the sun climbed higher and higher in the sky, the Sun God gloating in his triumph and the liquid of Life becoming less bountiful by the moment. It soon came to pass that the hot, jovial climate finally defeated the tender arms of Birdsong, and it was truly swept away, ushering in the age of Tallsun and all its grandeur. The greens of the trees were vibrant in the sun’s rays, though while the Earth retained the gifts of water and nourishment, the streams began to recede and shrink; those swollen ponds that had sprung up in the midst of Birdsong began to shrivel into a paltry sort of puddle, its cobalt, glassy surface mirroring the bright blue sky and the mocking gaze of the hot, hot sun.

Circe gazed upon herself in such a puddle.

She dare not breathe, lest she upset the smooth surface of the water and upset her reflection. And yet she was truly upset in her heart and bearing; quiet moments such as these, in the midst of the warm song and the happy forest around her, caused the dull ache in her chest to throb once again, a pang of loneliness that never truly left the sorceress. Her eyes stayed true and steady, with not a single tear marring the perfection of her stable, glassy orbs—she wondered if she would ever cry for the nasty shrew. Circe didn’t owe tears to the pure white Lilith; she owed her a swift kick in her cheek, a reminder that she did birth those biting, agonized hooves. Circe would not be forgotten; she absolutely refused that sort of fate for her memory.

Circe dipped her head towards the pool a little more, letting her horn graze the surface ever so slightly; thin ripples spread across, mutating Circe’s reflection into something monstrous and sad to behold. She lifted her horn from the crystal puddle, and watched as a single drop clung to the very tips of her polished horn. The light danced around it gaily, flashing all sorts of iridescent smiles and colors from the heart of that lone tear. It was a question that captivated Circe in her darkest moments of peace; would she ever shed tears for the shrew? Did she have the capacity?

Circe snorted suddenly, a derisive sound; she shook her head to rid her horn of the offending droplet. What foolishness to think about.

~~~~~
"Destroy the Peacock and Her Legacy"

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
 LAKOTA</style>
 my heart is a hollow place for the devil to dance again</style>

After finding her sister in the Threshold, Lakota found herself leaving the home of her mercenary group to wander through its boundaries. Tall pines met her at every turn, yet their presence did nothing to dissuade her. Face was constructed into a perfectly passive look, uncaring and detached. Cold, as if someone had taken what could be a beautiful visage and slipped a thin sheet of ice over every feature beneath her dark ebony skin. The tall mare prided herself on her silence and ability to move about the world like a wraith; empty, unnoticed. At times she would amuse herself quite thoroughly with the idea that she would have been better of as an Informant. But no, Lakota was not made for haggling information out of others. Silver tongue she may have when situation called for it, but she liked lacing it with poisonous words instead. Getting things through brute force, uncaring of the emotions of others. That was her way. Bored and growing rather annoyed by the happy atmosphere of the warmer season, she kept to the sparse shadows of the trees. Dark color stood out far to much in the brightness, preventing her from slipping about unseen.

Ruminations of another interrupted her, another vixen coated in similarly shady colors. Staring deeply into a pool of water that clung to the surface of the earth. She did not appear to be an oracle or a seer of any sort, so staring at her own reflection seemed like a waste of time to the sharp tongued mare. Perhaps she eventually thought the same for she shook her head as if disgruntled. Lakota stepped forward, unhappy that she could not loom over this mare for they were equal in height. Nevertheless her lean bodice drove her forth, vibrant violet irises watching the other mare intently. "Lost or searching?" She spoke, voice cool and silky. It was difficult to keep her trademark annoyance with all other souls at bay, but she managed fairly well. "Lakota, Poisoner of the Grey. You are?" Seeming almost unwilling to be kind at all, though her visage never wavered from its icy stare. It wasn't as if she was threatening the dame, she simply didn't care much. If your name wasn't etched into her ribcage, you weren't shit to her.

Deceased
M.E.

Circe
The Shadowmere
~~~~~~~~

The tiny puddle was surely going to die soon; the sun blazed triumphantly above, and soon Circe figured the boundaries would shrink into nothingness, becoming nourishment for the thirsty earth below. The puddle was an icon for Circe’s reflection up on her mother; it was a testament that she actually contemplated shedding tears for the harlot. It was mocking her with the taunt that she still had some sort of emotion left somewhere within the depths of her breast, and it angered the mare indeed. With a heavy snort, Circe reached forward suddenly with a forehoof, dragging dirt and dust into the puddle, mixing it into a lumpy goop and effectively ending the existence of the offending puddle. She gave another snort, but this one was inclined toward amusement; how ridiculous it was for her to be so offended by a mere puddle. She would need to watch that temper of hers.

It was only then that Circe allowed her eyes to find the new arrival that had made her presence known. Maliciousness continued to stir within Circe’s eyes, but it wasn’t provoked by the mare; with a deep breath, Circe willed the tension in her muscles to ease a little bit as she received the company. This mare had nothing to do with her hang-ups and she didn’t deserve to be affected by them. Circe cocked an ear, listening to the mare’s silken outpouring. Lost or searching? Circe sighed softly, considering how best to answer the mare. It felt as though the droplet from before still clung to her horn; Circe knew that it’d be impossible to shake the sensation.

“Both,” she said suddenly, blunt in her response, “Lost from a good cause of abandoned comrades. Searching for the same. I’m done with others using me and leaving me for trash.” It was hard to keep the bite and venom out of her voice. Had she fangs, Circe would have bared them; such was the heat of her passion. “I’m looking for a place worthy of all of me.”

*"Lakota, Poisoner of the Grey. You are?*

Short and to the point. Understandable. Best not to waste the mare’s time; she may have other business to attend to. “I am Circe, sorceress of my old band,” she said, the bitter gall evident once more in her voice. “Tell me, ma’am; what is this place that I have stumbled upon?” She paused, considering Lakota’s title; Poisoner of the Grey. Was that a herd, and was she the canker that was bestowed upon their enemies? What was the purpose of a Poisoner. Circe chanced another question. “What…is the Grey?” she asked, lifting her head a little in her curiosity. Her muscles tensed again, but ever so slightly; she didn’t know if she were treading upon dangerous waters. She’d know soon enough.

~~~~~

LAKOTA</style>

Eyes dance with emotion that veers towards anger, one that Lakota is deeply familiar with. Instinct tells her to react in the same manner, but realization comes and whispers in her brain that it is not directed at her. Perhaps she had been in deep thought when Lakota happened upon her, and the reaction was inevitable? Whether or not she is correct the tense muscles relax to a visible degree, and Lakota lets the edge of her mouth twitch up slightly. It’s hardly able to be called a smile, more wry grin than anything, but what the heck she tried. Soft sigh escaped the mare’s lips and Lakota understood fully. Sometimes that question brought up rather terrible memories, and she couldn’t deny that if she had been asked it upon venturing into Helovia she would have reacted quite the same. Not that any of that showed on her regal, composed face. Response is brutal and terse, and wry smile appears once again. She likes this mare.

Vivid violet irises harden and she takes a miniscule step forward. ”Then you are brought here by similar reasons I too once found my way into these woods.” Compassion and empathy do not flow within her tone, but it is clear to anyone who listens that she can at least relate to Circe’s hatred. Though she is wise to realize that Lakota isn’t there to entertain her, for she too gets straight to the matter at hand. Lakota is willing to draw her into the shadows that always seem to encase her, to take her into the Grey should she be open to the idea. Circe, huh? ”This is the Threshold of Helovia, land of wanderers. These trees always seem to draw newcomers, and many come to this place to recruit. Helovia is a land of magic, with Gods that peer into our lives to bless us at random moments. There are four herds and multiple bands, one of which I belong to. The Aurora Basin, racist unicorns though no doubt strong. The World’s Edge, open to all races and bordering the western edge of the sea. The Windtossed Foothills, with a recent change in leadership, to the east. The Dragon’s Throat, a militant herd that lies in the south. Then there is the Grey, whom I belong to. A group of mercenaries and spies that fight for those who cannot, working in the middle for peace that cannot be won through kind words. We are the misfits, in a way. But we are a family and we work in a tightly knit fashion, only taking on tasks if we are sure to be paid and never leaving our neutrality. From what I know there are only two other growing bands, which are too small to have a name to fear that I know of.” Flippant tone explains this all in a clipped, even tone that is completely impartial until it comes to her precious band of fuck-ups. They gnaw on her heart like little grub monsters but she deals with them anyways. She smoothly answered both questions in one go, using her time wisely. Wishing to return to the shadows she loved, though quite intrigued by the mare by this point.

Deceased
M.E.

Circe
The Shadowmere
~~~~~~~~

Circe listened to Lakota’s words and watched her; watched how the mare’s granite exterior didn’t seem to react to what was said to her and what was being said. Even her tone was cool and monotone in its own way, though Circe knew better than to assume that Lakota didn’t have anything going on underneath the skin. What business of Circe’s was it for her to must know what was going through the shrouded mask of the unacquainted? It was no true right that Circe had to the information Lakota gave to her, though the roan mare certainly delivered on her promise of an answer. She may be stark, but Circe appreciated the mare’s forwardness. It got a lot done.

*“A group of mercenaries and spies that fight for those who cannot, working in the middle for peace that cannot be won through kind words.”*

As the description of this place fell upon Circe’s ears and shoulders, and especially as she learned of the Grey and its function of the world, a little smattering of irony fell from the sky and settled upon Circe’s spine as snow might fall on a branch. A flicker of memory passed behind Circe’s eyes of her old herd—or rather posse , as this term might be more appropriate for the vagabonds she knew them to be. She remembered the chaos they sewed on the countryside, wreaking havoc, destroying the hollows that the weak and old lived in, bullying herds of frightened mares away from the water source and allowing them to drink from the creek again when they grew bored of their hijinks. They weren’t evil creatures, though the herds of that area would have begged to differ on that regard. Circe, however, knew the true colors of her former comrades; mares and stallions alike, misfits in their own right, though possessing their own brand of honor and humor that made their days enjoyable and fond to remember. And her mother, the White Mare of the East, the leader of them all…but the thought of that woman sent a vile, ashen taste to Circe’s tongue. How tragic, that a creature so detestable could lead a group so worthy and mischievous—and how daft they were to accept her as their leader.

Was this discovery of the Grey, a group of evident justice, a chance for atonement for Circe’s earlier actions in the group? Was it fate’s way of helping Circe wash herself entirely from her mother? She couldn’t help it; a tiny chuckle escaped her lips, amused by the twist in her life—but the tiny sense of disquiet found its way into her cackles. Would she be worthy of this band of mercenaries? Would she do them justice and hold up their honor?

“I wonder, Lakota,” Circe asked, careful in her tone but barely hesitant, wishing not to waste any more time, “If your family could chance adding another sister to their ranks? Would you stand for it?” Her voice was respectful and though she held her head high, as she normally did, her eyes were guarded with reverence in the depths of those cobalt orbs. It was no use fretting over the use of her mind and body; Circe knew herself to be useful. She would prove it. And the only way she would prove it to this…Grey was to show them, a practical demonstration of her value.

~~~~~

LAKOTA</style>

It is not Lakota’s job to be interested in Circe’s past, nor is it her right to peer into her mind and pick apart what brings her to the Threshold. She didn’t go around shouting her backstory to the world and wouldn’t reveal it easily even if asked, so she made it a point to never delve farther into the personality and reasoning of a person than need be. When accepting Murdock, she’d observed everything about him. No vagabond would make it past her into the Grey and wreak havoc if she could stop it, but she didn’t want or need to tear someone apart and dredge up terrible memories merely for the sake of knowledge. It was a respect and courtesy she handed out to everyone, merely because she wanted them to do the same for her and know that they could not ask her of her earlier times without getting teeth around the ear or a cold look.

Circe seemed to mull over her words for quite some time and Lakota let her. It wasn’t an easy decision to make after all, there were plenty of routes to take. That first step would be the one that decided her path for likely the rest of her life, and would define major parts of her future. Lakota didn’t expect her to jump straight into a herd without contemplation, like many Lakota had either directly met or heard about. She had a solid head on her shoulders and took Lakota’s granite-like personality with a teaspoon of sugar, surprisingly. Normally it was salt in that shallow pewter bowl. It was a reason Lakota surprisingly wouldn’t be adverse to Circe becoming a part of her family, simply because she was a mare that for once Lakota believed could have her back in a fight. It was true she trusted all of her awkward fuck-up family members to do the same, but characters such as Phaedra did not know the art of battle and war. Rafe and Osiris were the only other warriors she knew directly by name, and Murdock had only just been accepted. Circe however she could see both in Intelligence and on the battle field. It demanded a certain increase in respect from the blue roan, not that she had any qualms with giving it. She suspected if given the chance they could get along rather well.

Tone is careful but not stuttering and Lakota allows it with a carefully tuned ear. Hesitance is weakness, for it means you are prey to the finicky nature of your own mind. Circe’s eyes are guarded, much like Lakota’s but with a different feel to it. She is doing it consciously, whereas Lakota blocks out everything from her gaze. Twitch of one corner of her lips is all Circe receives as Lakota thinks. ”Everything is a gamble, Circe. There are a thousand things you could be that my eyes cannot perceive, and it will be a gamble to bring you to my home and into the ranks of my family.” Tone is swift and precise, but honest. Everything is a gamble, after all. You roll the dice a thousand times to try and win your fate through the number on the cube and the skill left in your body. However, Lakota was willing to roll that dice for Circe. ”I would stand for it, yes. You are sound of mind, a good head on your shoulders, and you’ve yet to anger me in any way. Having you at my back would not be a bother. All you must do is follow me, and if my mistress decides you are worthy, you may call me sister,” she finished. That is all to be said and all that will be said. Turning, Lakota braved her trust enough to show Circe her back, though violet irises glowed over her shoulder. Flicking her tail in motion for the other woman to follow, setting pace for the Deep Forest.

[[Want to change Circe to an Outcast and I can post a thread for her and Ktu? :)]]