the Rift

those twins [birthing, open!]

Laila Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

….and suddenly, there was light.

Her world turned upside down and inside out, jolting and jittering in a continuous state of flux until, finally, solid ground rose out of nowhere to greet the newly kindled soul. There was no thought, as there was nothing experienced to contemplate. There was just the here and now, and the icy, blinding pain of the light jarring the tiny filly awake, beguiling her to open her eyes and meet the world. Had she a voice, she would have groaned in protest—for the time being, however, the enormous act of birth took the breath right out of her fragile lungs. It wasn’t pleasant here; the gentle breeze tickled the hair on her chin, and she hid from it. It was much too cold; the filly scooted closer the warm mound she had become familiar with, knowing its presence and its comfort. She buried her face in the white mass of fur, shy of the sun, taking in the scent of her womb-mate.

Her brother. Tiny bits and parts of information was making its way into the filly’s brain-pan, giving her tiny hints to the world, guiding her, showing her the way. This was her brother-- the creature she had been with since her very conception. It was only natural to cling to his warmth, and she noted in her tiny mind that he provided shelter from the chill that was the world. Before she knew it, this lesson latched itself into her heart, making itself indomitable to her person. This was her brother. He provided warmth.

*"Ah, my little foals; sweet Laila, my filly, and handsome Luken, my colt."*

Curious sensations began to overwhelm the filly, and she buried her head further into the mound, still unwilling to meet the challenges that the blinding orange sun provided. These were noises, and they spoke to her, about her, about the world she had found herself in. Lower sounds, higher sounds; they flowed about the filly’s ears, and her mind danced to them as she listened, even though she hid her eyes from view.

*"Welcome to the world, my little ones."*

The mound—her brother—moved underneath her, and the filly could feel him jump at the low, rumbling notes. He continued to shift this way and that, exploring the world with his senses, braver than herself; she clung to him, unwilling to let him go so easily. Then she felt his muzzle pressing into her, feeling the gentle breathing from his tiny nostrils. It was as though he were breathing a trickle of courage into her; with slow, wary movements, the filly lifted her eyes from his pale hide, and looked into the mirrored chocolaty brown of similar-colored orbs. It was in that span of heartbeats that the first inklings of thoughts entered the filly’s mind. Nothing sophisticated—just the beginnings of an identity.

This…is my brother. Luken.

My brother gives me warmth.

I…I am Laila.

LAILA
One Day, I Shall Live by the Code of Honor

Messages In This Thread
those twins [birthing, open!] - by Tor - 02-05-2013, 07:14 PM
RE: those twins [birthing, open!] - by Destrier - 02-05-2013, 08:31 PM
RE: those twins [birthing, open!] - by Luken - 02-06-2013, 07:08 PM
RE: those twins [birthing, open!] - by Laila - 02-06-2013, 08:59 PM
RE: those twins [birthing, open!] - by Tor - 02-06-2013, 10:39 PM
RE: those twins [birthing, open!] - by Destrier - 02-09-2013, 12:39 AM