the Rift

Following the Stars [Open]

Nefertari Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Nefertari
The young mare's white head hung low as she moved across the terrain slowly, longing for the company of her father, Leander, whom she hadn't seen in a while. They'd been separated and she'd ended up being chased by predators, her brother Amenhotep sacrificing his life to save her.

Tears leaked from her pale blue eyes, and she prayed that Leander would find her again. How long had it been? How long since she'd seen his face, heard his deep voice, his wonderful laugh? She whinnied desperately, calling out for her lost father, the first horse she'd trusted, the first horse she'd come to love after the death of her mother. The youngling had grown a considerable amount the time spent away from her father, and was now about 17 hands tall; she'd been 14 as a yearling, tiny and slim.

She was still small, with long, graceful legs, massive white wings, a delicate-looking face. She was a mix-breed, born to be tall. Her sire had been a beast of a stallion, huge and bulked with muscle, so her mother had told her. Amenhotep had been starting to take after him, while Nefertari took more after their tall, elegant mother, who was a fast runner and an eloquent speaker. Now, her sire is not to be confused with her father. Her mother's mate had been missing for a while, before her mother was killed, and Leander had taken her in.

Her soprano voice was hoarse from disuse, as she hadn't had much occasion to speak to anyone. Lonely, the young mare continued walking, forcing back tears. Oh, how she wished she'd never been separated from Leander. Would he remember her after all this time? Would he be searching for her; would he still call her daughter?

For a moment, it seemed the scent of the massive buckskin stallion was in the air, comforting her. She looked up, hope gleaming in her eyes, but then they dulled when no sign of the huge stallion appeared. Sometimes she smelled her brother's scent as well, but that was usually accompanied with visions of blood and large cats, ripping her massive brother to pieces as he screamed for her to run.

The petite, tall young mare stretched those gorgeous wings of hers, her snowy coat twitching to rid itself of a peculiar-looking bug that had decided to settle on her flank. Folding her wings back up, she looked around, realizing this was where her mother had raised her for six months before vanishing. This was where Leander had found her, and taken her in... along with her brother, whom she'd been separated from for a long while.

Thoughts of her long-lost family consumed her, and she staggered in exhaustion and emotional pain. She sank to the ground, laying down and resting her head on the ground, wishing with all her heart that her father was still with her. And what of Montague? Would the unicorn stallion remember her? She'd met him when she was young, and had liked him from the start. But, if they were to meet at that moment, would he have known her?

Sighing, the mare closed her eyes, a tear rolling down her face from beneath her eyelid. She was not the innocent youngling she'd once been, though her innocence was still somewhat intact. She was more mature, more wary of strangers, no longer so quick to believe others, or love them. As a yearling, she'd automatically accepted everyone at face value.

Now, she'd learned to look beneath the surface. She missed Lynx as well, the unicorn stallion whom she'd met while living in the Throat with Leander. The poor stag's horn twisted down and cut into his mouth, making it impossible for him to speak. She'd given him a way to communicate to others, by drawing with a hoof. Would he remember her either?

Opening her eyes back up, she hauled herself to her hooves, shaking slightly. The intense heat pouring off of her kept most of the chill away, but the cold was on the inside. Her heart thumped brokenly, hollowly, as she moved towards the place she'd lived for the first six months of her life. She laid down again in the little hollow thicket her and her mother had stayed in, and decided to rest there before moving off again in search of her father.

walk walk walk
"talk talk talk"

Lynx Posts: 73
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15 :: 5
Shoikan
Just call my name, you'll be ok</style>

It was becoming routine for the buckskin to roam the Threshold, looking for the sense of purpose that had abandoned him soon after his exile from the Throat. It was his own doing, for no one had forced him to follow Leander, but he found himself bitterly blaming the idiot mare who claimed to be Sultana. If Kri had been able to rein in her temper, none of this would have happened. Black-rimmed ears pin back irritably, and a snort escapes into the relative quiet of the forest. It is hardly silent, of course, with birds and animals going about their lives, but the heat of Tallsun has driven them into lethargy, waiting in the shade for a cool breeze to pass through. The warmth doesn't much bother Lynx, having resided in the desert, and it actually soothes the pain of his impaled face, the flesh around the black spear relaxing slightly.

Idly, he wonders what has become of Leander. The golden pegasus had disappeared soon after their exodus, vanishing without a trace. So had the mare who had accompanied them, though Lynx felt less concern over the loss of a stranger. But Leander was supposed to be their leader, the one they could confidently follow into the unknown with the assurance that they would make it through their trials. He was gone though, leaving Lynx to find his own way in the world. He wasn't helpless, of course, having lived on his own before, but he felt useless just wandering around, without cause or purpose to serve. He was a soldier, not a nomad.

At least he could still walk the familiar forest, finding the lost and guiding them to wherever it was they might wish to go. A small comfort, but it still gave him something to do, and so Lynx threw himself into the task, searching every day for those who might have need of him. Mostly he found foals, lost or abandoned, and he took them in without question, without hesitation. Maybe, if he cared for enough of them, he could regain meaning. Be somebody. At the very least, he would make an impression with them, the deformed stranger who guided them to safety. For now, it would have to be enough.

His musings are interrupted by a scent he recognizes, snapping his head up in shock. Though he had seen and heard nothing of the snow-colored filly, he had assumed she was still safe in the Throat, surrounded by warriors who would give their lives to defend those in their care. What was she doing out here, and why didn't the arid scent of sand and heat mingle with her own? Intrigued and concerned, he launches into a trot, long strides eating up the ground. It is worth the discomfort, for the jarring pace sends slivers of pain through his skull, radiating from the hooked horn. The thought of Nefertari drives him on though, distracts him from the feeling.

He finds her, curled in a thicket like a fawn, though much more noticeable, and slows to a stop. Will she remember him? They had only met once, a long time ago, and so there is no guarantee that she will recognize who he is. So he stands where he is, instead of stepping forward and greeting her the way he wishes to. Best to let the girl make the first move. Still, he gives her a faint smile and nod, unable to contain himself completely.

Lynx.</style>
image by thelearningcurvedotca @ flickr.com

Unregistered
(02-07-2013, 06:53 PM)Nefertari Wrote:
Nefertari
Pale blue eyes flickered open, and a soft little sigh of, "Ah..." was nearly a moan of pain. That scent! She knew that scent. So long... So long... She brought her head up and spotted him, giving a little cry. "Lynx! Oh, please, don't let this be a hallucination!" Her soprano voice was a croak, a hoarse sound unusual for the filly. She got to her hooves gracefully, in a fluid motion, and walked towards him, ears swiveling around.

"Is that really you, friend?" She whispered, blue eyes showing her wariness, confusion, even fear. "It's been so long since I was last here..." She blinked back tears. Oh, how she'd missed the ones she'd known. "Have you any word of my father? I was separated from him. My brother was with me, but we were attacked by large cats and chased out of Helovia. He... He sacrificed himself for me. Ever since then, sometimes I think I smell him, or Father... Sometimes it was you or Montague I thought I could smell. I've missed all of you so much..."

Her head hung low, in shame. She missed her father, her brother, Montague, Lynx... Though, she had Lynx now. Her brother, though, she would never have again. Tears pooled in those gorgeous blue eyes, and she blinked several times, trying to keep them from spilling over. Would he understand any of her ramblings, or had he forgotten her? Oh, what if Montague and Leander had forgotten her!? She wanted to scream in horror and anguish at the very thought. Perhaps Leander was searching for her? She missed her beloved father so, so much...

She stepped forwards again, hesitantly, wanting desperately to be closer to the stallion, to find some comfort in his presence. His scent washed over her, warm and real, and it made her think of happier times as a young foal. Again, a step closer, still hesitant and afraid. Blinking again, to keep those blasted tears from flowing, she stopped her advance and watched him.

walk walk walk
"talk talk talk"

Hidden Account
Shoikan

She cries his name, and all thoughts of being forgotten flee, banished by her desperately glad reaction. He is concerned though, eyes scanning over her white frame for injury. As she stands it is easier, though she towers over him now. When had she gotten so tall? The last time they had met, she stood lower than he, perhaps 14 hands. Now he'd estimate her to be near 17. Had it really been so long? He supposes it has, for the season had been early Frostfall when he had first encountered the bright little filly. Two seasons. So much had changed.

Ears prick forward as she continues. What did she mean by it had been so long? Since a trip to the Threshold, or had she left Helovia for some reason? So many questions crowd his mind, unable to be asked. His head shakes gently as she asks about Leander, but he doesn't interrupt her story. Some of his unspoken queries are answered, and new ones are raised. How had cats gotten to them? None were native to the Throat, and the warriors would have chased them away if they were. So had she and her brother been outside the Throat? Without protection? He knew that Leander must have been busy, but why hadn't anyone else offered to watch the duo? He would have done it himself, had he known they were without a protector.

Her head falls, tears welling in her azure eyes. Lynx hesitates a moment, uncertain if she would welcome comfort. He knew the value of pride, and how easily it could be hurt. Still, she's just a young girl, one who had gone through more than any two year old should. Surely she wouldn't push him away? Her tiny steps forward decide for him, tugging his heartstrings until he goes to her, nuzzling her face and neck, careful to use only the right side of his face. Leander may have disappeared, but he'd be damned if Nefertari was left alone again. Until her father returned, Lynx would gladly fit himself into the role of older brother. In fact, he was going to whether she liked it or not.

Lynx.</style>

Unregistered
Nefertari
The young filly pressed against him, letting out a little sob. "Lynx..." She whispered, shutting her eyes and letting her tears escape, falling, burning hot, to the ground and some landing on the buckskin unicorn who she'd missed so much. Her voice now turned to soft whisper. "You won't leave me, will you? I couldn't bear to be parted from you again. If only Amenhotep, Father, and Montague were here as well, my family would be complete." She pulled back a little to look him in the eye, tears flowing freely down her face, and the hope blazing in those pale eyes refusing to dim. "Please." She whispered. "Please don't leave me."

Her eyes shimmered, her flanks held jagged scars, silver against snow, and her ears pricked towards him as hope flared in her heart. She'd had a crush on the stallion as a yearling; that had not faded or changed. If anything, it was stronger now that he was back. The filly stared at him, begging silently for him to stay. Oh, she couldn't bear it if he left her. She'd rather die than be alone again.

Her hesitance fought with her desire, her need to be close to him, and she bent her long neck and pressed his face to his shoulder, a low sob of pain escaping her. "Please, please stay..." The words were a moan of pain, of desperation, pleading with him to not leave her alone. She prayed hard that he would stay with her, she needed him, she wanted him. But... what if he thought her too emotional? Too needy? Would he walk away anyways?

walk walk walk
"talk talk talk"

Hidden Account
Shoikan

Tears drip onto his golden fur, warm spots of wetness that confuse the buckskin. Not because she is crying, he understands that perfectly, but the fact she has chosen him to be her comfort. Of course, she is probably just grateful to find someone familiar, clinging desperately to the one thing that she knows. That must be it. Leander would have met with the same reaction, or Montague, whoever that was. He had simply been the first to find her. Still, he isn't certain how to react to having a crying female on his shoulder. Before, when she was still a babe, he might have, but she has changed, grown, more a mare than a filly now. How does one go about comforting a mare? Should he treat her the same way he would treat an upset foal, or would that make things worse?

Hesitantly, he rests his muzzle against her neck, emitting a soothing hum as he does. It couldn't hurt, right? She seems to just need his presence, to be reassured that she won't be left alone again. He can do that, at least, stay near until she regains her confidence. Perhaps bringing her to meet his slowly growing family would also soothe the girl, give her a sense of belonging. If nothing else, the foals would serve as a distraction for a while, asking questions and pulling the pegasus into their games. Though Mystique was still in the Throat... He supposes he could stand near the borders and call for his adopted daughter. He needed to introduce Demetrie to her anyway. Yes, a family meeting will need to be held soon, and he decides that Nefertari will be part of it. She is family, after all.

(OOC: Sorry, crappy post)

Lynx.</style>

Unregistered
Nefertari
She let out a soft sob of relief and pressed against his warm body, nuzzling him. No words could express what she was feeling, none were left to tell him how she felt. Oh, she'd missed him so much, but had he missed her? Of course, that was a question he couldn't answer. Then, an idea hit her. She pulled back with a startled snort. "Lynx... I... I might be able to help you. To-- to make it so that you can speak."

She was thinking, of course, to go to the Veins and plead with the Earth God to let her help Lynx. To straighten out his horn and heal his mouth so he could speak and tell others how he felt. She wanted nothing more than to help her friend and relieve his pain. "I'd have to go to the Veins and speak with the Earth God. Maybe he'll answer, since I wouldn't go for myself? I just... don't want you to hurt anymore." Her eyes were very soft and full of kindness and affection for the stallion, and her long, long tail swished a little nervously.

Lowering her head a bit, she waited for his reaction, wondering what he'd do. Maybe he'd be shocked? She suspected not many had offered him kindness because of his deformity, and she wondered if perhaps he'd be angry. Angry at her for risking the wrath of the Gods, or for risking her safety going up there to talk to one of them? Surely not. Surely he must want to be able to speak and laugh and communicate with others? She hoped so badly that he'd think of this as a good idea.

walk walk walk
"talk talk talk"