the Rift

Something out of Time [OPEN]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

A strange shimmering, like heat waves from a hot desert, sat a few miles off the coast. The shimmering was huge, like a giant block that reached the tallest clouds and touched the surface of the ocean. Staring at the strange shimmer that was slightly off from the colors of the horizon, was difficult; as if your mind knew that it should not be there, so it tried to block out all memories. Fear does similar things to the mind; it wrests your memories and alters them lest the being go mad, haunted.

Suddenly, the shimmering solidified, almost like the surface of a window. And a window it was. Behind a sheen of shifting off-white was an island, gigantic and towering with multiple spires of rock. Stone roads of white could easily be seen lining the trees and winding up the spires. Little huts were easily visible, and like small bugs on a wall, four legged creatures moved and bustled happily.

Perhaps this is what the Time God meant when he was fixing the timeline, but areas between dimensions were often thin and damaged. When two worlds collide at the same time, in the same place, and in the same location, doors open. Transparent doors with seemingly little consequences. Tempting doors to lives and fates unknown, but what damage would be caused? What repercussions would this warrant?

Frost Fyre Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Altair :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast prissy

Frost Fyre
You Can Never be Too Young

I had been strolling about the beach, thinking my thoughts as usual when I see something. A shimmering a few miles off the coast. I step into the water, peering at it's sudden appearance. In a flash it seems to solidify. Instantly I walk further out, trying to reach this strange 'window'. I'm up to my chin in water, struggling to keep my head above the surface. I move quickly, steering myself towards the window. What was it? Thoughts sped through my mind instantly as I tried to figure out what this was.

I wade onward, now unable to touch the ocean floor. I go further and further as my mind and thoughts wander too. What is that thing? Some type of magic? Is it a trick? Or is it something else, maybe one of the gods is trying to do something. The Time god maybe? Or the Sun god or maybe it's the Moon goddess. It could also maybe be the Earth god. But who? And what? What would happen if I were to touch it? My legs kick stronger as I speed through the water, trying to reach it quickly. I was interested in whatever it was, I wanted to experiment with it, solve the endless questions that circled through my head as I peered at this mysterious 'window'.

By now sweat has begun to form along my back, neck and head. The heat of the sun beat down on my body as I work my way towards this mysterious thing. I still had a short distance to go before I reached this thing. Whatever it was.

I'm so close to this strange thing now. I could see strange things inside of it. Houses, animals. What in the world was I looking at? An alternate universe? Curiously I reach my black muzzle out, attempting to touch it. What would happen if I did? Would I die? No. Hopefully not. Only time will tell.

"Chatting with others."
Thinking up her moves
Putting her moves to work

Aryel Posts: 229
Dragon's Throat Soldier
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.4 :: 4
FennecFyre

Aryel
I'm through accepting limits / 'cause someone says they're so.

The beach was such an amazing place during Tallsun. The warm sun caressed her back, salty sea winds holding up the outstretched wings of a pegasus mare as she glided in lazy swoops along the beach. The sea was a beautiful shade of cyan, putting Aryel's own blue pelt to shame. She loved the ocean. When she was at the beach, she could forget, just for a minute, about the troubles that plagued the Throat. She had certainly felt them as a soldier, but now that she was a Sergeant, a sort of self-imposed weight of responsibility had settled on her shoulders. She worried for the herd. She worried that Tio really would find victory in his attempts to invade. But maybe she could think of something else for a little while.

At least, until the honkin' big heat shimmer caught her eye, causing her to flare her wings in an effort to bring herself to a stop midair. The long blue-black appendages churned the air as she stared, baffled, at the window as it solidified and cleared. "What on Loorien...?" she wondered aloud, half-whispered.

What was that?

She flapped once to set herself in motion again, wings tilted to set her in a curve towards the apparition. She didn't mind flying over the ocean, but she was acutely aware of the danger of deep water below her. Speaking of danger, what was that horse doing so far out? Were they drawn by the anonomaly too? As she neared, she realized that she had met this horse before.

"Frost Fyre?" she asked, slowing to a hover above the filly. She looked up at the window again, mouth gaping slightly as she stared at the picture within. Another island? What were those strange lumps that those little creatures were walking in an out of? "Hello in there!" she called, hoping to get some response. Curiously, cautiously, she brought herself forward, yearning to fly straight in, yet at the same time afraid to. What would happen if the two horses touched the window? Her curiousity burned within her, though, and in a moment of weakness, she stretched her neck forward to brush her muzzle agaisnt the barrier...

(Heehee, I think is my first RE. Can't wait to see how this turns out.)

"blah blah blah."

Some things I cannot change / but until I try I'll never know.

Thanks for the good times, and no hard feelings for the bad times.

Vicer and Aryel's new threads never happened.

Myrddin Posts: 115
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 :: Old
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

The stars wheeled overhead, and every day was as long as a life age of the earth...

[Everyone can ignore this IC - Since Myr is blind he can't make it to the Endless Blue :P ]

Deep within the cave of the Haruspex, there was an un-event. An un-event, is basically when something happens, and yet nothing changes - but the lack of change, is in-itself, a change. Much like the way dowsing a light in turn causes the shadows it had previously created to disappear.

This is what I would have you see, for poor Myrddin can no longer do so.

Once Mauja's welcome-wagon finally had the good sense to get out of his cave, Myrddin had returned. The distorted ripple on the surface of the mirror sent a pang of worry through his old heart, and the fear of what the larger implications were weighed heavily on his old mind. The God of the Spark had told him to watch his mirror closely, and closely he had stayed, for the God's words were nothing but a cruel joke. Still, it had afforded Myr the opportunity to welcome back the boy-king, and while that event struck grandeur in the hearts ands minds of many, Myrddin doubted that was really the end of it. At least as far as the mirror was concerned.

Was his mirror still not cracked?

For hours, Myrddin had simply gazed sightlessly at the mirror; running his gnarled and twisted horn over its surface and feeling the grotesque distortions. It filled him with a sense of cold each time his horn wavered near the incisions, yet it was a mental chill, not a physical one. It gripped him; feeling unnatural and wrong somehow - as if some inherent wrongness exuded from the crack itself. Myrddin didn't believe the God's words were solely of Mauja, as impressive as the frost-king was, he was a blip in time, as the rest of them were. Myrddin's bearded muzzle frowned, as his milky gaze stared into the unseeing blackness that was his vision.

And then the un-event occurred

Precisely nothing around Myrddin changed, and yet the philosopher knew that something had. It was as if he was in a world identical to the one that he had just been in - where each and every atom was numerically identical to the world he just came from and yet...something was different. Hastily, he dropped his head back to the mirror, feeling the gouge still present in it's otherwise pristine surface. For some reason, this was comforting - for if this grotesque and unnatural thing was still with him, then perhaps all was not lost. With a grumble, Myrddin raised his sightless eyes once again, his nostrils flaring. Mentally, his mind wandered, creating visions behind his dark stare: a window, a door, a rose. A door on a beach, which will not open to him, with writing on it. Myrddin knows the word which is concealed in the script, even though the symbols mean nothing to him: unfound.

Somewhere, far back in his mind, another tale spun. A door on a beach. Lobstrocities. The breaking of the beams; The world is moving on.

"Fool." He whispered into the soundless cave.

Image Credits

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

Not a door but a window - only seen through one side. None of the creatures stir, and nothing is out of place. The waves hit the side of the shimmering barrier as if lapping against the side of a cliff. A storm begins to roll from the horizon, dark and moving too quickly to be natural. Blue sparks chase through lights and shadows, illuminating the quickly darkening ground. The sun disappears behind the darkness, and a bitter, harsh wind whistles around the beach.

Some things are better left unopened.

Like a creature crawling from a grave, a massive, clawed hand grasps the edge of the shimmering barrier, pulling against the seal between the two dimensions. A hissing like multiple guttural voices moves on the whistling wind, and thirteen more clawed appendages appear. In a grossly concerted fashion, seven bodies pull from the rift, walking on the water in some twisted laugh at classical beliefs. Each of them was black to the point of being unseen, red eyes peering out from lidless eyes.

Horns rose from their heads and bodies, and though balanced on hind legs, they held the general shape of goats. A static hiss bounced between them, a method of communicating so intimate and electrical that normal ears could not understand. Suddenly, the seven devils snapped into life, tearing through the water and making it to the sands, circling the mare and the filly who were foolish enough to stay.

[Seven Devils by Florence and the Machine]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBcXe2B97TQ

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel was almost disappointed when the only thing that happened was her muzzle bumping up against the invisible barrier. "Huh." she said, only half to the filly below her. "Wonder what it's--" The ominously howling wind and quickly darkening sky cut her off, leaving the pegasus to wonder if she really did just break something. She watched nervously as the storm rolled up faster than she had ever seen, the whipping wind buffeting her and making it difficult to stay aloft. Worried, she looked down at the filly, who was no doubt having it even worse. Horses were hardly water animals. She was about to tell her to get back to the beach when the creatures appeared at the other side of the window, causing her to backstroke in the air in fright. She really didn't want to see those things on her side of the window. They can't get out, right? I couldn't get in, so they can't--

They could.

They didn't seem to go far from the window, but she could tell why all too easily. While she was safe up in the air (she hoped), these water-walking monstrosities could easily close in on Frost. It only took a moment for her to decide what to do.

"Frost Fyre!" she shouted down. "Get to the beach, I'll hold them off as long as I can!" With that, she folded her wings and dived, front hooves extended and held rigid, intending to strike the nearest beast in the head. If she could distract them, maybe they would go after the annoying fluttering mare instead of the defenseless floundering filly. Although she didn't purposely bring it up, she felt the odd hum in her blood that she had felt after the Sun God's zephyr cremated Azzuen, and her new temporary control of wind increased her falling speed somewhat, sending her hurtling down at the demons.

Walk walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk talk."

ARYEL</style>
In blood and honor, we will prevail.</style>

image by gpabill @ flickr.com

Frost Fyre Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Altair :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast prissy

Frost Fyre
You Can Never be Too Young

I see a shadow from above me. In an instant I glance up, seeing Aryel soaring through the sky. She was the blue roan mare I had met earlier. She reaches for the window too. Disappointment surges through me as my muzzle bumps against the window.

"Huh?"

I can hear Aryel mutter to herself. I'm about to say the same thing, but instantly everything gets darker. I glance up, seeing the darkening sky overhead. A storm rolls over, and in an instant Aryel's head snaps, and she too appears to be watching the greying skies. I watch in pure, utter horror as a clawed hand stretches out, grasping the edge of the barrier. But soon enough there's thirteen more of the clawed arms, snaking out of the barrier. I thought nothing can go through the barrier! I'm suddenly confused, shocked and plenty more emotions. Everything seems too dark and eerie. Slowly, seven bodies come out behind the appendages. I watch in horror as they stand upon the water, propelling myself backwards. A hideous laugh comes from each of the creatures, forcing me into more shock. They're so dark, so black. Almost invisible. Gleaming red eyes glare at me and Aryel. I'm paralyzed in fear, unable to move.

Frost Fyre! Get to the beach, I'll hold them off as long as I can!"

But it's too late. The monsters are already closing in on me, trapping me. I let out a pitiful scream, it's the only thing I could do. The horned monsters stared at me with their cruel red eyes, paralyzing me. What could I do?! I was trapped. In a stupid and foolish attempt, I charge forth, speeding through the water. I aim my fragile little crystal stub of a horn for one of the monsters, whichever part of them I could reach. As soon as I threw my head backwards I spun around. My legs pumped as I attempted to swim away. But there was another one in my way. I let a blood curdling scream escape my small maw, unable to stop myself from crashing towards the beast before me. I was going to die. I knew it. I just knew it. I knew I should've stayed out of the water! I scream again, flicking my ears back. I can feel the tears stream down my cheeks as I wait for death's warm embrace.

"Chatting with others."
Thinking up her moves
Putting her moves to work

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre
(Bump?)