the Rift

Deadly Temptation [Open]

Murdock Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 9 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 8 HP: 61.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Gaz

The swamp lay in shadows beyond the bank, sheltered beneath a veil of twisted trees and blackened leaves. The ground was muddy and damp, sponge-like moss carpeting every fallen log and exposed root like a green disease. The atmosphere was thick and heavy with moisture and a thin haze seemed to hang about above the murky ponds. Tempted by the haunting cries of unseen birds, Murdock finally stepped down onto the wet earth from the threshold of the forest. The repulsive stench of rotting wood hung in the thick atmosphere about him, nothing so much as a cool breeze to stir the stagnating air. The marsh was one of the few places in Helovia he had not yet been, and he had guessed that it would make a nice place to visit; he was wrong.

Though mysterious and intriguing in its own way, the swamp seemed to be a breeding ground for danger and disease. Warm mud squished up over his fetlocks as he made his way along the thin path, silver hooves seeking out the firmest ground he could find. Various pools of unknown depth lay to either side of him; the water was thick and silvery, like liquid mercury and probably just as deadly. Wings tucking in against his damp sides, Murdock looked around nervously as the silence began to close in around him. Though the hot summer morning had left his throat dry, he did not dare drink from the cloudy water around him.

Pausing on the other shore, Murdock looked out across the hazy waters toward the dark forest to his left. The blackened trees appeared to sway and shift, as if preparing to shake their roots from the earth and walk away. A weary sigh escaped his lips as his shifted his weight on the smooth shoreline. As if in response, an eerie, hissing breath resonated through the trees, the glassy surface of the water rippling as if disturbed by wind. But there was not so much as a breath of air to cool the tepid marsh. Shifting nervously, Murdock pulled his wings tighter against his sweat-soaked sides as he cast a glance over his shoulder. He couldn’t help but feel he was being watched, and he was bitterly beginning to regret his decision to explore here.

Silver hooves, now coated in mud, stirred rot-blackened leaves as he turned and picked his way through the tangle of trees. Emerald eyes searched the shadows curiously, child-like naivety driving him onwards into the dangerous grasp of the marsh. Overhead, the harsh cries of birds rang out sharp and clear through the heavy air like alarm bells, warning him to turn back while he still could. Every now and then, he thought he could see the shimmering outline of something moving along beside him; but when he turned his head, he found he was still alone. He wondered whether magic could glitch, and whether or not these ‘ghosts’ could simply be of his own creation.

Stiff branches brushed against his dark hide as he moved through the undergrowth, snatching at his curly mane and tail as he passed. He was glad he had visited in daylight, although he would have preferred not visiting at all. There was an eerie stillness to the swamp that set him on edge, and even the slightest sound made him jump. As he wandered deeper into the shady depths of the wetland, he became aware of faint moans that seemed to float through the trees from the path behind him. Pausing for a moment, he raised his head to listen, but his ears were met by silence. The net of branches overhead was far too thick for him to fly through, and so he decided he would press on just until he found a suitable clearing; then, he would leave this place for good.

"talk talk talk"

Wind me up, put me down
Start me off and watch me go

Image Credit

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi

See the life I've had
Can make a good man
Turn bad

The further he walked the more his temper worsened. The cold land of the Aurora Basin was but a distant memory as the sun beat down on him for miles, increasingly making him more agitated by it's infernal heat. He took refuge among trees when he could, splashed through streams when they appeared and cursed at the sky so many times he was beginning to make up new insults. He marched along the borders of trees and beach before the smell of the marshes hit him. d'Artagnan always had found this place intriguing, the few times he had ventured here he had found himself drawn to the death that moaned beneath his cracked hooves. Aramis seemed to be enjoying the new atmosphere too, bouncing on a youthful stride whilst staring at the ill looking swamp with a pup's curiosity. The shade had been trying to decipher whether the hound had grown, his feet seemed a little larger but then again... He did have a very skinny body.

The pair took their adventure further into the Spectral Marsh, stopping now and then to observe something strange or obscure. It was during one of these examinations that d'Artagnan's eyes fell on the winged form of a black stud. Seemingly making his own way through the marshes with his alabaster appendages that made the shade's gaze darken. He motioned to Aramis who trotted off towards where the pegasus stood, flicking his tail in anticipation. It was something the shade had wanted to try out, he was used to fighting on his own but now he had the help of Aramis. A one two combination he wasn't used to as of yet, so tactics was something he had to figure out.

Slowly, with tongue lolling out to one side, the puppy stepped in front of Murdock and simply sat down on his haunches. Watching the pegasus curiously, like a youthful child would. His bonded stalked in behind the dark coloured hell hound, his red coat a dangerous sign as it crept through the across the muddy ground. Careful to keep to the small pathway. d'Artagnan finally found himself in position and turned the glint of his eye to their target before them.

Power raged from his behind and the Nightshade powered forwards aiming to push the stud before him into the marsh to the side. Aramis darting out of the way in time to miss being trampled. Glass horns glistened, a broken one a sign of his battling past, an amulet bounced against his neck and a tail flicked when impact neared. It was almost a test of nimbleness, if he was successful would this strange be quick enough to keep his balance on the only path that led through the marsh. Or would d'Artagnan rid the world of another pestering, winged bare head. He danced to the side once close, trying to brush shoulder to shoulder, malice filling his face.

It was over in a matter of minutes and the shade was soon back to a trot. Behind the stranger now, puffing out his nostrils through the intensity of his attack. Idiotic may be, but the shade rather liked the first combo he and his pup tried, since Aramis was only a babe, there was only so much he could do.

A calmness settled on him now, as he turned to see what damage he had done.

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Gaz

The silence of the marsh seemed to close in tighter about him as each second passed, a bitter claustrophobia catching up with him as he stood among the trees. The gruesome branches scraped at his feathers as he passed, and his ears twitched at the sporadic snapping of dried twigs beneath his hooves. The firmly packed trail that he was following wound about ahead of him, turning this way and that so that one could never see what lay around the next corner. Adrenaline and curiosity drove him onwards, and blindly he pushed on through the sharp net of thorns and rotted ferns toward the faint scent of fresh air.

The warmth of the summer morning was beginning to catch up with him, and gradually his pace slowed to a lazy walk as sweat began to bead on his chest. In his desperation to escape the vile grasp of the marsh, he had let his guard down, and the muffled sound of approaching footsteps went unnoticed. Suddenly becoming aware of the faint sounds, his heart leapt into his throat as the panting of a canine reached his ears. Whirling about, emerald eyes sought out the form of the stranger. A Hellhound pup stepped out of the trees and came towards him, seemingly unthreatening, yet Murdock’s wings still unfolded from his sides. His body went rigid as the small creature came to sit before him, peering up at him with a child-like curiosity that mirrored his own expression.

Regrettably, his attention was far too focused on the pup to notice the larger shape that emerged from the trees, slowly making its way into view before throwing itself at him. Wings unfolding to their full length, his gaze snapped up to catch the blurred shape of a red stallion as it lunged toward him. He barely had time to react as the unicorn barreled forth, glass horns glinting dangerously in the hazy sunlight. Lurching to the left, he fought for a foothold on the slippery edge of the path. Sharp thorns cut into his legs as rancid swamp water splashed up his legs, the faint moaning of hungry souls seeming to become audible above his struggle. Desperately he fought for grip on the wet earth, leaning away from the bottomless pool that lay before him as the red stallion dashed past. Silver hooves splashed into the murky water as he fought for balance with wings spread, turning his head to keep an eye on the unfamiliar assailant.

His attacker passed him, having dealt him no obvious harm apart from a serious surprise. Lurching forwards, he put some distance between the red stallion and himself, heart pounding in his chest as he found firm ground once more. He turned to face the unicorn, muscles still tensed with the precaution that he might be attacked again. It was a smart trick, having the pup distract him while its bonded launched an attack; but the thing Murdock couldn’t figure out was why he had been attacked at all. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?!” His voice quivered slightly as he spoke, brows furrowing in confusion as he glared at the bay before him.

"talk talk talk"

Wind me up, put me down

Image Credit

See the life I've had
Can make a good man
Turn bad

Hooves clattered and bodies neared, the pegasus swung with impressive footing and when the Nightshade stopped he snorted annoyance at himself. The swamp moaned and murky water splashed, the stranger regained his balance and sprang forward away from d'Artagnan, Aramis now well out of the way and by his side. Gilded eyes glowering, heckles springing up along his back and a low growl rumbling from his gut. Curled ears pinned back. The excitement died down and now d'Artagnan faced the stranger, bitterness in his mouth. He missed. Normally, he would say nothing and simply double back on himself and try a different attack, but not here. In the marshes one wrong move could have you singing carols with the dead at the bottom of a sickly pool. Not something the shade wanted to be doing.

Tail flicked and he spoke above the growls, eyes piercing and simmering with red warning signs. A smile played on grey lips "the hell? Just trying to rid the world of another pathetic creature. But it seems I am denied blood yet again, that's some footwork you have" low, unsympathetic was his voice. Something about the scent of this stag told him of no familiar herd, no arid smell of the Dragons Throat like that little colt and his armoured father. Nothing familiar from his former and rightful home of the Edge and most certainly not cowardly enough to be of the Foothills.

No.

He was like that other mare. The equine of no distinct scent who screamed for her life as it was taken from her. Covered in her own bodily fluid he had simply killed her in cold blood, did she even have a family? He didn't care, no one had come for her, no one had tried to save her. Much to the Nighshade's delight she had left the world without even a hint of fight in her. Worthless being. d'Artagnan was a racist animal, he hated all without a horn though usually kept to hateful words and threats of violence. It was in these moments that the madness came out, the ringing in his head put there by endless beating from his father. Drove insane for his inadequacy. If one truly knew d'Artagnan, would they have so much hate for him? Did anyone really know the Nightshade?

The Time Mender would beg to differ, but he wanted no sympathetic words. No mushy sentiments of 'I understand that feeling'. He just wanted the contradictory. Death and peace. Eyes narrowed and head tilted "do you normally roam alone?"

[ooc; sorry for your wait. <3]

filled with rage

Gaz

Twigs scraped at his sides and legs as he moved away from the stallion, his heart racing as he recovered from the shock. He looked into the defiled waters, careful to keep his distance from them where his hooves could rest on solid ground. The eerie shrieks of birds sliced through the thick silence, the air humming with the dark energy that emanated from the ponds. The marsh was a deadly place, as Murdock had now discovered, and it was especially dangerous when one was caught in close quarters with someone who wanted to kill you; he had never been faced with such a predicament before, and his mind struggled to sort out his situation.

He watched the young hellhound carefully, unsure which of the two he was more frightened of. He had never seen such a creature before, and the pup both fascinated and terrified him; he wouldn’t want to run across it when it was an adult. Emerald eyes fixed the bay with a venomous glare, his wings pulling up against his sides as he backed a few steps away. He hardly imagined that the stallion would be content to sit and chat with such a ‘pathetic creature’, and so he was careful to put as much distance as he could manage between himself in the unicorn; he didn’t want to fight, but he wasn’t the type to turn and run in the face of danger. In the face of such an unpredictable stranger, he wouldn’t take any chances.

His ears flicked as the stranger began to speak, shifting his weight in the damp earth beneath his hooves. A dry smile formed on his lips as he listened, head tilting in realization. He should have guessed that the stallion was racist, rather than simply a cold-blooded murderer with the intention of slaying any who crossed his path, but the haze of the marsh was fogging his brain. He smiled slightly at the stallion’s compliment, though he knew it was hardly sincere. “Impressive, you and your friend working together so well.” He nodded toward the pup, eyeing its small horns and blood red markings.

His eyes narrowed suspiciously at the bay’s question, unsure if he wanted to provide the stallion with any details about himself; however, it seemed a relatively harmless piece of information to provide. “Usually, yes. I’m not often a victim of assault when simply out for a walk”. Though he was a member of The Grey, he had not yet befriended many of the members and so was left to wander alone. He was used to the solitude, though, and the simple companionship of his own active mind was enough to keep him entertained.

(ooc: No problem!)

"talk talk talk"

Wind me up, put me down

Image Credit

See the life I've had
Can make a good man
Turn bad

d'Artagnan couldn't help but notice the irony that if the stranger before him had possessed a horn instead of his feathered appendages then actually they might of got on. The darker stud played the game well, not getting to bogged down in the details and instead his mind kept up with the pace of the Nightshade's own ways of thinking. d'Artagnan was thoroughly impressed, even though he wouldn't admit it aloud. The shade's odd changing mood disturbed his bonded Aramis, who looked up at the blood coloured stallion with a puzzled expression as the Mender turned over exactly what it was he hated so much about the other races. For d'Artagnan knew it wasn't physical appearance, he would've rejected his son there and then if it was, but it also wasn't the magical differences that seemed to irk others. No. In the end the one and main thing that really bothered the shade was blood. A unicorn was pure the rest were not, Mesec may posses blood of all three species but he was a God's son a therefore different from the rest. At least, in the shade's reasoning.

Dual coloured eyes turned to the other who seemed to wrestle between fear and suspicion, Aramis seeming to worry him more than d'Artagnan himself. The shade nodded to the pup, he would make a fine Guard dog one day with his keen curled ears and sharp nose. It was a weight off his shoulders not having to constantly watch his back anymore. The affection that radiated off d'Artagnan affected his bonded and soon Aramis' markings began to glow a violent red whilst tail flicked from side to side.

d'Artagnan considered the strangers words, snorting at the strangeness of their conversation and the tense air around them. One wrong move and someone was most likely going to end up in the marsh. "You never know what's lurking in the shadows ready to take advantage of an unassuming stranger" was his rather bleak reply. Cracked hooves squelched against the ground then and d'Artagnan turned away from the stud to look in the opposite direction, his bonded already bounding on ahead in a playful puppy like manner.

"You win today, the moods gone and I've lost interest. My friend is a Hellhound called Aramis, and my name is d'Artagnan. May I know yours before I leave?" He wasn't exactly sure why he'd offered their names, in a way, the shade thought that this pegasus had won the right to know. A strange notion but he was the first to escape and still stand as if unperturbed, he didn't fall nor did he retaliate. d'Artagnan wasn't sure why, but in his strange convoluted mind, it sort of made sense.

filled with rage

Gaz

The heat of the summer sun streaked down through the tangle of trees, spilling across his dark hide and dappling the greenish surface of the water. At first, he imagined the shadowed marsh might be a place where he could escape the heat of the season; the bitter truth was much the opposite. He lifted his wings from his sides slightly, attempting to allow the air to circulate against his sweat-soaked sides as he kept his gaze trained on the stranger. He wondered what had brought the stallion to the marsh, although it really wasn’t his concern. Perhaps he had been exploring as well, or maybe the marsh held a certain significance that had escaped the Pegasus, but this unicorn was aware of its secrets.

His eyes traced the translucent edges of the stranger’s two horns, his brow creasing slightly as he wondered how the broken horn had been damaged. His gaze flicked between the bay and the pup, admiring the strength of the bond that seemed to exist between them. They seemed to share thoughts and feelings with each other while he, the outsider, was oblivious to the activity of their collective minds. He noticed with peaked interest as the Hellhound’s markings began to glow, and he frowned in thought as he watched it. His study of the young pup did not last long, however, and he was distracted by the low voice of the stranger.

Lifting his gaze toward the bay, he watched as he turned from him to look away into the shadows. The Hellhound ran off behind his bonded, bounding along the path as if eager to be on his way. Murdock shifted uncomfortably in the heat, shaking his forelock from his eyes and inhaling the thick, sweet air. “My name is Murdock.” His reply was simple and to the point, his head dipping slightly as he held d’Artagnan’s gaze. Though the unicorn meant nothing to him, he would commit the stallion’s name to memory; the bay could have killed him, but instead he had let him go. Despite the simplicity of this, Murdock’s mind still struggled to make sense of it.

He took a few steps back, his hooves slipping in the moist earth as he backed into the cover of the bushes. His gaze remained fixed on the stallion, emerald eyes never leaving his face for a second. “I’ll be on my way, then,” he dipped his head slightly, unsure of how to go about his departure “pleasure meeting you.” His voice held the faintest hint of sarcasm, though he felt no prejudice toward the unicorn. It was not a personal matter but rather a larger idea that had compelled the bay to attack him, and he felt no reason to hold that against him. Of course, Murdock would have preferred not being attacked at all, but he would not hold it against d’Artagnan.

"talk talk talk"

Wind me up, put me down

Image Credit