the Rift

On the brink of failure (earth god, open)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
I had come to see Ktulu for many weeks now, our meetings usually ending when the sun just started to peek. This tired, beaten body would rise or awake. Stretching and nosing Cera from his warm spot in the grasses; together we would travel back to the Throat. Always limbs would freeze when just out of sight and my head would turn, looking back at the one person that held my confidence in these trying days. Our morning would stretch on, training, agility work, talking to family and meeting new friends.

Lately though, I’ve felt distanced. Apart from all the others, my true self only seemed to shine through when around my son, or Ktulu and Hototo. With each new nightmare my heart began to darken with hateful thoughts that drained energy and spunk. Sinking fast, without fully realizing just how far the hurt went. Unsatisfied revenge had filled this soul to the brim; I yearned for it; for him. What pissed me off even more was that that he most likely knew, and was taking secret pleasure of it. Or at least, this is what the mind kept repeating like a broken song in my head.

He knows….and you are powerless to do anything. You aren’t worthy of title or placement. Cera hates you for the amount of grief and failure you have brought to his heart. You are a terrible father. When Ktulu finds out just how worthless you actually are….well…the nasty voice would laugh, its shallow tones ringing between the corners of my skull. Eyes would shut; trying to drown out all the wicked little voices that had suddenly sprang up over the past few days.

I needed to confide in someone….but who? Certainly not my love, my mistress; our relationship was still very young, much too young for me to burden her shoulders with. Feeling heartsick and knowing no other who could offer guidance my steps carried this frame away from the sands one dark evening. No moon shined tonight, just me and the cold, lonely stars. Shoulders hunched and steps walked as if having dug too deep within earth to take another forward motion.

Eventually the familiar sights of the gods territory came into view. My eyes rose, expectantly seeking the one comfort that had always been….even in childhood, tangible. I hadn’t been here in nearly a season, the duties of family kept me from easily making the journey. That didn’t stop my lips from praying and mediating as usual though, the lord of earth could hear everything. Everywhere.

My approach slowed, and finally stopped altogether. A look of horror crossed my face, wordlessly lips fell apart to form a silent, “No.” The life, once so feverously burning, was dead. My lords shrine was covered and the rest totally destroyed. Locking gaze on one of the little flowers my legs began to shake, finally I could look no more and collapsed there in the dust. Muzzle pressed into cool earth and breath sending up a cloud of ash, “Earth father, have you forsaken me? Have I sinned against you?”

Image Credits
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

God of the Earth Posts: 287
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: 22.0hh :: Ageless
Admin

The GOD of the EARTH

the rain washes away the worries of yesterday

A rumbling of the earth begins.

A sound that Midas may know well in his devotion to the beloved bay deity. With a somber song, the quaking does not cease as the fast motions of the Veins would on complacent days. The heavy hearted General would find the support he needed on this day. He would not be left alone. Amid the roar of the earth, pebbles begin to quiver in their place, until finally a song can be heard over the rumbling of stones. It is a voice ancient as the trees, as the waves of the ocean, a deep voice which sings indescernable hymns, telling the story of life.

From the waves walks very calmly, oh so nonchalant, the massive God of the Earth. Water falls from him in large waves as builds a small pathway as he walks from the ocean below the lava island, his green eyes glowing happily, though there is a hardened amount of solemnity in his face. To be so trouble, Midas must be suffering great demons. Not wishing to cross the threshold of the mortal's mind, the deity just offers a soothing song of a foreign language, a somber melody to match the mood cloaking the island like a thick blanket of mist. When the large bay reaches to top, he stands beside his broke shrine, a fatherly smile on his face.

"I would never forsake you, my son," the God of the Earth says with a voice sweeter than spring rain. The aged face still vibrant with youth, a contradiction in its features, is calm and soothing in intent. His lively green eyes drawn into a compassionate dew, the horned head dipping lower to make eye contact with the much small stallion. "Your heart is heavy, Midas. What has been troubling you?"
CREDITS
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Depression was every bit a disease, and usually not fully realized until the moment of truth—and by then it was almost too late. The moment of truth in anyone’s life can happen only once, or it can happen many times. It was what transpired after the trials that made all the difference, a glimmer of hope, and acceptance, finding out who one was and who one ought to be for the rest of their life. Or it could be utter hell, and end only in the loss of life. From the day of that attack, the blood bay had planted something within me. A seed of doubt. A seed of depression, I no longer knew who I was.

Why did I crave a dishonorable fight? Why did this body have a thirst for death, when all I really wanted was peace? These questions couldn’t be answered by me, and my trust in others had faltered over the past few weeks. To top off my unstable state, responsibilities seemed to just pile up. Azzuen had passed from this world; and though the time for mourning had yet to end—already I could feel the weight of his responsibilities threatening to crush my younger shoulders.

He had always been front and center to each war since the time of my youth. I wasn’t the same man he had been, nor would I ever be. Azzuen had strength about him, a leadership quality that had led me to believe that he might one day rule beside Kri. But he was gone, leaving us with the task of figuring everything out without his aid. In a way, I was a little jealous that his rest had come so quickly. He had abandoned us to fight the world alone. Battle loomed like a dark cloud of snow that hadn't dropped its first flake, but when it finally did fall. It would come as a blizzard

Mercy was here though, as it had always been. Earth trembled, its bowels shaking and shivering. My painstaking gaze sparks with hope, and body grows tense in anticipation. I knew exactly who approached.The soil and water sang an ancient tune, one that mortal ears would never understand. For it was sung by the spirit of earth, the mountain itself which was as old as time.

My lord.

I lay, also trembling but for different reasons. How foolish was I? Thinking such shallow thoughts, had my soul fallen so far astray that I would begin to doubt the single entity in this world that could be trusted beyond everything else? My head falls, "I would never forsake you, my son," that quaking voice comforts me and shames in the same moment. He calls me 'son' and my heart snaps clean in two, eyes close for fear that the pits would spill out every moment of heartache upon the ground. I can feel him draw near until I am at his feet, he bends down to look into my eyes; his breath like the tall pines in Deep forest.

Feeling pitiful and ashamed at my own selfish problems, coupled with doubting him, my gaze firmly casts itself across the dirt, "Your heart is heavy, Midas. What has been troubling you?" After a moment I look up, into a pair of eyes that belonged only to my lord, a brighter emerald then even the purest of gems. My father, he had the tenderest of looks--a stare that gave strength and took fears to the wayside. Softly I answer his question, the dams of my mind broken and ready to surrender, “My resolve has been shaken, I know not who I am anymore….the blood demon stole this from me, and he stole the innocence of my child.” terror of myself makes voice break, “and for this, I desire his death.”

I didn’t just want to challenge that cur, see him shamed for hurting Cera. No, I wanted to take his life. End that miserable existence myself. But these feeling were wrong, they had been wrong the moment the first idea took sprout, “But this is…..isn’t who I am.” The Midas that everyone knew was merciful, and kind; the hidden beast…the one that tormented my dreams—was a monster, a monster not worthy of wearing the armor this flawless god had made.

Given the choice, I would spare the life of any enemy; except his. Was I less of a person because of this? Somehow, if I could just get past this hurdle, everything else would simply fall into place, “How am I to father Cera, and lead my soldiers honorably if there is hate in my heart?”

Image Credits

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The GOD of the EARTH

buried in water and earth

Impossibly large knees meet the earth, kneeling back to the glowing blue ground as the God of the Earth sinks to the level of his beloved follower. His wings steady his mass of bulk as it lowers to the ground, the creaking of his limbs like trees in a great wind. He curls onto the ground before Midas, feeling much more comfortable seeing eye to eye with the painted stallion as he spills his heart from his chest onto the floor. Lively green eyes watch the torrent of emotions playing across the charcoal stained features, the glint of gold that flickers from behind eyelids every few moments. Lowering his crown of horns, the Earth waits humbly for the stallion to let the shaking words out of his mouth, into the air.

So much heartbreak caused by the thoughtless cruelty of another, and yet Midas paints himself as the villain. Sorrowful eyes turn toward those of gold, the great bearded stallion huddling close as though winter's chill had set in months too early. A soft muzzle reaches to brush the forehead of the wounded soldier as his voice threatens to collapse, the God hoping to restore some of his strength to survive through this conversation. Withdrawing as he begins to speak once more, a forlorn soul who had found his way at the seat of the most brilliant heart in Helovia. The father of forgiveness and compassion, if any of the deities here would listen to the plights of the armored boy, it was the God of the Earth. However, would his sympathetic heart be able to understand the torment of another well enough to guide the golden pegasus toward a better outcome?

The great bay hoped that he might.

A heavy sigh wracks his chest, and the God looks out toward the far horizon, eyes growing distant with thought. When the bearded face turns back to Midas, it wears a warm smile. "This hate is one born of love," he says calmly. "You feel so strongly because it is your love for your son magnified through an ugly lens." The voice is quiet, yet strong. The gravel of his voice unmistakable, but in this quiet tone, it seems almost a soothing rain that falls gently. "You are not tainted but hurt deeply, and the relief you seek is not what will ultimately heal the scars upon your heart. Instead, it will entrench them deeper." A smile, warm and compassionate, reigns on the God's face as he looks toward Midas.

"You must find in your heart the strength to forgive those who injure you with cruelty, in order to protect the stallion your loved ones admire most."
CREDITS
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
My lord had come to lay near me, his touch and tenderness softens me, gives me strength to lay by while I await judgment. Those bright eyes stare off, no doubt pondering my question and how to answer in a way that would be understood. Or perhaps he pondered how to punish my foolish self for harboring hate in the first place. I wait, silent now and still, patient for him to either give life to the monster, or provide a foothold for the creature that my kinsmen called, ‘Brother.’ One of us add to go, two beings couldn’t live in the body of a single flesh. The mountain turned to regard me with a smile, which I took comfort in but also couldn’t find the energy to return.

"This hate is one born of love."

Hate and love? How could two thing exist together? Ears perk a little with new questions forming, eyes drift up to lock into the king of everything solid in my life. A line of confusion furrowed my brow and caused frown to only deepen, but I held my tongue behind teeth nonetheless, "You feel so strongly because it is your love for your son magnified through an ugly lens." I was beginning to see were this conversation was leading, he was going to give me an answer, "You are not tainted but hurt deeply, and the relief you seek is not what will ultimately heal the scars upon your heart. Instead, it will entrench them deeper."

Would I be happy once the one who had caused so much grief was finally stricken from this world? My skull tips a little, considering. Inside, my heart lurks behind collar and flesh, he speaks the truth. I wouldn’t stop, would I? Once I got a taste for revenge the creature that I was would be no more, my soul wouldn’t be the same. I wasn’t afraid of this, instead it more or less caused sadness. Honestly when it really boiled down to the core, intentions had never been to destroy anyone; no matter what their sins were. Even in childhood my parents had taught me to be honorable, never taking life unless without further choice—and then mourning in the sorrow of actions. When you rob someone of breath without thought, and then never pause for reflection....what does that say upon a man's character?

Ears wouldn’t have had to listen to what he said next, I knew what was coming.

"You must find in your heart the strength to forgive those who injure you with cruelty, in order to protect the stallion your loved ones admire most."
The 'strength to forgive', pausing, I take a moment to search my heart for the support he requested. “I can mediate upon your words and find the strength to forgive in this moment but—what do I do when and if I see him upon the field of battle…or see him at all? Do I simply turn aside and show love to the enemy?” It was easy enough to forgive when the one I sought remained hidden from view for many long months. Even if I forgave now, would these eyes be able to handle seeing him again and not feel a sliver of resentment? Would I not want to end his life once again if he stepped onto my homeland and offered self-up as folder for the war?

“When….when is right to take a life?”

Image Credits

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The GOD of the EARTH

buried in water and earth

Crinkles on the aged yet youthful face of the God deepen as he smiles at Midas, his words being considered so admirably by the young painted boy. It had been ages since Father Earth had been a young stallion, and it escapes his memory whether or not he had grown from the body of a colt - even the deity cannot remember so far back in time. Still, the trouble of the youth had not changed much, and the God of the Earth is almost tickled to know that the heart is a predictable thing. It beats in the presence of your beloved with such fervor you fear it may fall from your chest cavity unto the ground at their hooves. In the presence of an enemy, it grows cold and distant, and even your pulse feels faint in your body. Malice and love, so very connected yet so distant in their effects. Just how close were the two feelings? They were both spurned by passion, but one was the ugly sibling while one revered with such high authority that many lived their life in search of it.

Even he, bearded God and second son of Helovia, had grown fond of the thought of love. Instead of reverence, the deity had grown a humble respect. Love is what bound him to the mortals, and it was a powerful tie. Even here, laying close to his beloved son Midas, the God of the Earth was tied by the emotion. Breaking down the walls between mortal and immortal, love made the Earth and his follower nothing but family.

A strong, potent thing.

Yet, so was hate.

The great bay considers the words of the young stallion carefully. His sister, lady of the Moon, had betrayed her own followers by giving careless or perhaps too objective of advice. Here, the God of the Earth would have to speak with the utmost clarity and confidence, to avoid sending Midas in the direction that would lead to the destruction of himself or another. Gentle features are drawn in heavy thought, preponderance, of this difficult question. Was there ever a correct moment to take the life of another? Self defense? Defense of another? Who weighs one life as meaning more than another? The corrupted souls, are they worth less than the brilliant clean spirits? Today, his crown of ram horns felt heavy.

"Eventually, the life of all comes to an end," he says, his voice deep and serious in this moment, rumbling like a quiet earthquake. "Who are you to decide when their end comes?" He takes pause, giving Midas a very serious look with his emerald eyes that flickered with the light of spring. "Hatred is easy. Brutality is easy. Arrogance is easy. It is the option of modesty, forgiveness, and mercy - that is the difficult one. Deciding to kill comes quickly, but it is deciding when to spare a life that seems to challenge my children." He lets out a heavy sigh, his eyes turning away from the golden, seamless eyes of Midas for a moment. "You treat him as you would any stranger on the field of battle. Placing him in an area reserved for revenge is flattery. He becomes special to you when you harbor these dark feelings, my son. The only souls who should be so special are those who you would protect from him."

"Be the stronger of the two, Midas. Choose life instead of death," the deity says, his voice warm like the summer sun. "The only thing that awaits you down the path of hatred is a cold, empty darkness."

[ Apologies for the wait. ]
CREDITS
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Everything would die.

"Eventually, the life of all comes to a end.”

Nothing could last forever, and besides—who would want to live endlessly? Watching as your brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers withered away with war, disease and age. It was a terrible blessing to be immortal, but not a god. I had only met one other who bore the rumor of being an immortal child. His foal like body had very nearly rotted away, only magic kept it from spilling upon earth in a pool of black sludge.

No. It was better to be free to live your life fully and with every potential; then to dabble in a world were nothing came to an end. I would die. Eventually. When that day came, it was wholly believed that my spirit would live on. Running the skies of heaven and meditating with the great souls of times long past. It wasn’t a day that could be yearned for, only expected.

Who was I to decide when the journey of another came to a halt? I was nobody; a speck of dust in this great universe and a humble servant to my mighty lord. Though I fought when called to action, trained, even harbored magic and armor strong enough to kill. This soul was no killer, such deeds simply held no appeal on usual days. But since the attack, my desires changed daily; they became finicky, nearly unpredictable. Even Cera sensed that I had slowly become a ticking time bomb.

But…laying here, near my heavenly father. Everything felt like it should be. What words he said I would follow to the end, even if it caused discomfort. Because no matter how one looked at it my lord was right. This hatred was an easy thing for me to feel toward the blood demon. Love for him. No, I wouldn’t ever love him. Maybe, one day though, I could forgive him. Forgive his sinful nature against my family. Forgive the fact that he gave my son months of heartache—and by the act become a better person that was worthy of leading a child and worthy of standing at the right hoof side of my Sultana.

Understanding flickered. I realized what would have to be done, and it caused unsalable grief on the side that wished for nothing more than destruction. The only death I would achieve would be the death of that bitter anger; in order for ‘Midas’ to survive I would have to kill the beast which threatened him. My own unrestrained temper.

Not only would I have to find mercy, but I would also have to be strong enough to see my enemy through clear eyes unclouded by fury should he come to me again. I would have to forgive not once, but again and again. Because a mortal mind was a funny thing, we couldn’t just speak the words “I forgive you,” and then harbor resentment for the action every time a symbol sparked unwelcome memories. No, the mind would have to forgive each time I looked into Cera’s bright eyes and saw sorrow, each time I walked between the timbers of the forest. With each new war, I would have to forgive him. Would it ever become easy? Most likely not.

“The only thing that awaits you down the path of hatred is a cold, empty darkness.”

Quietly I answer my deity, “Emptiness is what I’ve felt hating him, it drains the soul and turns me sideways until I am weary of it. I have seen and felt this hate firsthand, and want nothing more to do with it.” Voice is stronger now that I knew my options and I knew what was to be expected of me. I was a directional sort of fellow, and he knew it….only point head toward the right path; and the body would follow.

“From this moment, and every day hereafter—I will choose to forgive him; and perhaps even set an example for others that are to come after me.” Moved by heartfelt emotion and gratitude for his wisdom I extend muzzle to brush tentatively brush across that dark strong neck. This moral frame was laughably smaller than he, my snout was so tiny in comparison to my father’s strong neck. Love blossoms warmly, the love of a devoted son, “Thank for much needed guidance father.”
Image Credits