the Rift

With Hearts Cast Down [Open]

Chernobyl Posts: 134
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: Nine | Tallsun HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Psilo
[Image: 50c3cfe45dfd7]

Chernobyl

In the wake of her confusion the figurine moved east into the Steppe. Her eyes were thick with the past, living visions passing along the filmy surface as if life was still restored there. Days had passed in such reclusion and perhaps she felt it deserved. Her life had turned away from the turmoil of her childhood and now faced the uprising in the Basin. Perhaps it was all too much for the little doll to handle. Her gaze, mimicking inky wells of despair sought nothing but the path ahead. She moved with practical grace, her legs pulling up and falling down like a puppet on a string. It was just as well that she found herself here in the midst of the summer. She longed to face the cool breath of frost along her face and chest. It was returning comfort for her as she thought of the winter that had not so long ago passed.

The snow was muddied beneath her weight and it seemed to suckle up and along her toes before receding back into the earth once more at her methodical departure. A sweet tune forced its way from her depths as she echoed the song birds that were slowly becoming mute behind her. The tree line of the Basin lay far behind her now and she was glad that the pressure of everything unknown to her seemed to go with it. She had been accepted into the Plague and the idea was almost blasphemous to her. Was she giving breath to a cause that made no real sense? Was she turning her face away from her own purpose and using it to justify her shortcomings?

Whatever the case, she cast out her thoughts with the wind and moved further into the coolness of the securing dusk. The light was falling low and casting a lavender glow against her raven hide and she took a moment to glance down upon the shadow of her semblance. The jagged bone which she wore upon her brow reminded her of Psyche now. She was royalty to her lead, a new future that would prove promising to Helovia if they ever succeeded in the chance to rule. She felt as if she were convincing herself for the hell of it, for the sake of belonging. She had indebted her body and soul to something that she felt she was entirely unsure of. But she would find solace in some form or another. She was just waiting for it to show its gangly head.

But oh, I'm staring at the mess I made
As you turn, you take your heart and walk away

crushed and filled with all I found
underneath and inside, just to come around
more, give me more, give me more

pixel is by RELI<3

• Feel free to magic on her, but no murder.

Murdock Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 9 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 8 HP: 61.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Gaz

It is an odd thing to see a horse chasing nothing across the barren plateau of a frozen steppe. The black stallion was tearing across the icy ground, kicking up snow with his heels as he twisted about, leaping into the air and bouncing forwards with a kick in his step, always turning on his haunches to watch the ground behind him. His pale green gaze seemed fixed upon the snow, as if he could see something there that did not exist, but followed his every step like a dance partner who couldn’t keep her distance. Rising onto his hind legs again, he twisted his torso and spun on his heels, chin lowered as he studied the ground; yet nothing was there except his shadow, and it was exactly that which he was chasing.

The setting sun cast a lavender haze across his wings and sleek black coat, damp with sweat from the exertion of such acrobatics. He seemed to dance across the snow, skipping over rocks and spinning with joyful laughter that rang across the empty wasteland. With every step he took, every minute movement, his shadow reciprocated; an image of himself projected against the thin layer of snow, moving as he did, playing with him every step of the way. Bringing his hooves down against the ice, his limbs slid out from under him and he raised his wings for balance, slowly regaining composure.

Eyes still on his faded silhouette, he paused as his feathers caught the light of the sun, spread across the snow in a majestic display. Fascinated, he twisted on his heels and bent his wings, admiring the way they appeared so intricate and beautiful reflected against the icy ground. It was difficult to observe them, as they were positioned on his back in such a way that he couldn’t quite twist around to inspect them, but they occasionally lingered in his peripheral vision. He flapped his wings experimentally, forelimbs rising off the ground. His shadow rose with him, though it sat at an odd angle, always keeping its back to the setting sun. The snow was stained pink and orange from the light that bled through the sky, the stallion’s silhouette cut through it like a dark ink stain.

Murdock’s hooves landed softly against the ground again, wings extending as far as he could allow them. Twisting his head around, he glimpsed the outer vanes of the pale, feathery appendages, and smiled in satisfaction. Twisting further around until his spine ached, he tried to see more, not appeased by the shadow that was cast across the ground. It didn’t prove as easy as he’d expected, and soon began turning in circles, one wing bent against his side while the other remained outstretched for him to see. His feet slipped across the ground as he spun, childish determination in his eyes. Of course he looked ridiculous, but he had never been terribly concerned with his personal image. His concentration remained until a black smudge against the horizon swept across his vision, and he halted shakily, the world tilting around him.

He wobbled a step to the side, wings refolding protectively as his ears snapped to alert and he turned back to the shape in the distance. It was approaching him slowly, as if it had not yet become aware of his presence. He moved unsteadily forwards, every step cautious and trembling as the horizon gradually leveled out and his dizziness left him. Giving his head a shake, he eased into a trot, silhouette prancing after him as he neared the approaching creature. When he was close enough to make out its features, he paused a moment in sudden realization. He knew that face, and though she was not a friend of many years or many meetings, he considered her a friend all the same. A childish smile appeared on his face, and he stepped forwards again with bright eyes. “Nice time for a walk. I can see your shadow is better behaved than mine,” he gestured towards the ground at her feet, unaware of the abnormality of his words.

"talk talk talk"

Wind me up, put me down
Start me off and watch me go

Image Credit

Psilo

Chernobyl

The light seemed to quiver around her downcast gaze and while it had not dawned on her that another had corrupted the sunlight above her, she cursed quietly beneath her breath for the disturbance. Habit had taught her that birds and all things in flight were often to blame for the shadows that were earthbound from the heavens, but this time it was not so. Somehow her muddled thoughts had failed to react to his scent, now familiar in her nostrils as it were. It took her a moment to synthesize the movement and his voice before lifting her face into his widened gaze. His eyes were soft, a reminder of their time shared in the Frozen Arch. He greeted her openly as she knew he would and she smiled, her charred lips parting in greeting before she had the chance to get the words to sound from her throat.

It surprised her how elated she was to see him again and she laughed at the sentiments he had used to gain her attention. He looked as if life had treated him well in her absence and she wondered how he had spent his days. Had he thought of her? The thought startled her immensely and she was quick to banish it upon entrance into her mind. Whatever had momentarily possessed her, she was sure it would fade away with the rest of the world as soon as she returned to the Basin.

That it is my friend. However, if you turn just right… and pretend that it isn’t there, it will behave just like mine.” Her smile seemed to dictate a turn of events for the small mare. She had never been so happy to see anyone in her life. Perhaps it was his carefree mood that had infected her or just the lack of responsibility that she seemed to experience when he was around that caused her to enjoy his company so much. She looked beyond him into the snow covered plains and decided that today would e the day to let loose. Turning to look at Murdock, she offered him another lazy smile and then asked quietly, “Are you up for a little game?

ooc | This was nothing compared to your post... butttt, I didn't want you to wait on me.

pixel is by RELI<3

Gaz

Almost a full season had come and gone since Murdock had last laid eyes upon the charcoal mare, and he was happy to see her. Of course, his shadow had been amusing company enough, but it had no voice of its own and was too unoriginal; copying his every movement, no matter how subtle. He recalled the plant he had been watching over on their last meeting, and thought of it with fondness. He was crazy; there was no doubt about it, but it made life interesting when one spent all their time on the bleak plains of the north. Emerald gaze returning to Chernobyl’s dark face, he blinked as his vision cleared, head still spinning slightly from his acrobatics across the steppe.

He wondered at what had transpired since their last meeting, and how things were in the Basin for her. He hoped word of their meetings would not reach her herd-mates, and sour the precious friendship that blossomed between them. At another time he might have asked after such details, but felt it wasn't his business to intrude upon her life. He felt no prejudice towards her because of the herd she belonged to; she had already earned his trust, and he saw no reason to reclaim it.

They had no need to exchange a formal greeting, wasting no breath on trivial words. Murdock smiled as she referred to him as her friend, as if the time they'd spent apart had done nothing to dissolve the bond they'd formed on their previous meeting. His ears perked in interest as Chernobyl spoke, his green eyes studying her shadow. Head tilted in contemplation, he cast his own silhouette a curious glance and turned about, hooves sliding over ice. His shadow was inky black in complexion like himself, but it was faintly stained a pale shade of violet by the retreating sun.

He smiled in childish excitement at her offer, wings spreading in anticipation. He had never been one to turn down a chance to play, regardless of the disapproving looks he had received in the past. But what game could they possibly play on the barren steppe? He glanced around, seeing nothing but snow covered rock and the odd tuft of grass. Hide and seek would be out of the question, but he was sure Chernobyl had a better idea up her figurative sleeve. As long as it could facilitate four players, he would me more than happy; both he and his shadow had recovered from their chase across the icy wasteland, and as Murdock shifted his weight across his feet he saw it do the same, as if suggesting 'follow the leader.' “A game? Of course!” He replied, head bobbing eagerly. It had been ages since someone had asked him to play; most were not supportive of his childish behavior.

"talk talk talk"

Wind me up, put me down

Image Credit

Psilo

Chernobyl

Her heart leapt in childish excitement as she looked into the eyes of trusted friend. She could call him that, couldn’t she? He seemed to alight on the word and it made her chest swell with something akin to affection, even though the emotion had been long lost over the years of abuse. She recognized her mistakes now as she thought of them, reminding her of the ages spent in agony as a youth. Her mother, so twisted and forlorn had used her own daughter as an object of projected lust. Her silky green eyes had forced fear into the little filly’s heart and caused her to build walls made of stone around the organ that gave her life and yet stole it away just the same.

She looked away momentarily, a mere ghost now, shadowing her previous exuberance. The darkness overwhelmed her as it always did and she remained speechless before him, her muscles growing tense with a strange mix of anticipation and fear. She was clearly ready to be rid of her haunted past, to be replaced with eager new memories with her explorer. Her explorer. The thought had been unwarranted and she quickly reined it in, scornfully growling to herself for such a mistake. She turned back to him, forcing a smile to her dry lips. A game. She had promised a game.

Her haunches moved and then she backed into them, banishing former traces of heartache before springing back to life. She rushed forward her velvety muzzle outstretched to run his length before blowing past him. “Tag, you’re it!” The words had been thrown over her shoulder as she stretched her legs into a comfortable run. The snowy ground was uneven below her and she did not wish to test its stability, even now in the midst of summer. The sensation of exercise came sweet as her muscles lagged into action. They had been stiff from ill-use and a reminder of the power in them made her squeal in delight.

Time and again she looked back to see if Murdock had followed, tossing mischievous grins this way and that. Her heart started to pound beneath her breast and she welcomed the foreign feeling. She was free here, able to do as she pleased with whom she pleased and one day she might explain that to Murdock so that he would understand her particular fondness for him. But right now was not the time to be so sentimental, she had started this game and planned to win it as well.

pixel is by RELI<3

Gaz

The sour expression suddenly looked so foreign on her face as her thoughts seemed to consume her, black gaze drifting off into the distance in reflection as all things seemed to be forgotten. Murdock had seen this dark look in her eyes before, but it seemed so out of place as it replaced the slight smile that had been upon her lips mere moments before. Emerald eyes watched her with a pang of worry as a flurry of emotions flitted across her face, but the moment lasted a mere minute before she turned back to him. The smile upon her lips seemed almost fake as she met his gaze, but the exciting promise of a game overshadowed his concern.

The dry smile she wore seemed to mask her mischievous intentions as she leaned back on her haunches, her movements languid and swift as she leapt toward him. Her black, velvety muzzle grazed his side as she dashed past, long legs stretching out as she broke into a run across the lavender-stained snow. His heart leapt into his chest as he whirled around in her direction, his pulse racing as excitement mounted. He watched as she swiftly put distance between them, racing off into the sunset before he had a chance to gather his wits.

Leaning back on his haunches in the softening snow, he sprang into a swift gallop to chase after her, wings spreading from his sides to feel the push of the air against his feathers. Silver hooves left deep ruts in the wet snow as he pursued the black mare, and he laughed out loud at the exuberance of the moment. The air was fresh and cool, and the only visible indications of summer were the brown sprigs of young plants that poked through the snow in irregular angles.

Spreading his wings farther from his sides, he let the lift of the rising air catch him and push him up into the skies. He rose only twenty feet before levelling out, the thrill of flight seizing him as he soared into the painted sky. Chernobyl's dark form quickly grew closer and larger as he pitched down toward the snow, muzzle outstretched for her flank as he descended rapidly. His hooves hit the earth hard, driven down into the snow by the force of his momentum. Ungracefully he stumbled a few steps, lunging towards her flank and pushing his nose in her direction. "Tag!" He called out above the wind in his ears, laughing ringing out from his throat as he leapt away from her once more, his inky shadow mirroring his every move.

"talk talk talk"

Wind me up, put me down

Image Credit

Psilo

Chernobyl

Snow was thrown up into the sky and she listened to the rhythmic beating of his hooves until there was nothing to be heard. Her gait slowed momentarily, confused about what had caused the sudden disappearance of her playmate. However, a pointed glance toward the sky allowed her to see perfectly what he had done. A deep guttural moan of laughter erupted from her throat and she pushed forward, spreading long legs over the snowy ground like a ghost. She tried with all her might to escape his onward pursuit but it was increasingly difficult to escape an airborne Murdock. When he finally collided into the ground alongside her she squealed, her shoulders pitching toward the left in order to evade his inevitable touch.

However, there was nothing that could be done to avoid him and his muzzle was finally upon her. Her skin quivered beneath it and she trembled before lacing dangerous eyes on the young stallion. “You cheater.” Her lopsided smile was enough to assure him that she was not sincere, but she was quick to bolt after him, her muzzle extended toward his rump even as his wild gait threw snow into her face. Once again, her laughter was incredible, growing infectious in such a way that it was unavoidable. She had never felt so free, so wild and uninhibited.

The wet snow squelched beneath her as she skid across the ground, her feet trying desperately to find surface against the muddy floor. However, when a particularly rough groove in the terrain caught her off-balance, she slowed to a stop to nurse her pulsing ankle. It hadn’t been damaged but it was enough to send a small shock of agony through her leg. She looked up, searching for him and knowing that she would find him and the thought comforted her. How wrong it was that she would find comfort in him, find friendship with him, and defy her family. But she didn’t feel wrong. They didn’t understand that she needed break from all of the despair there, the planning and plotting, the grief.

Errm... this was not how I wanted it to turn out LOL. Sorry, next post will be better.

pixel is by RELI<3

Gaz

Her confusion and surprise brought childish delight to Murdock as he landed hard upon the ground beside her, reaching out his muzzle to feel the warmth of her hide against his skin. He laughed as she cast a dangerous look at him, leaping sideways away from her and kicking up the wet snow with his heels. The steppe seemed to stretch out endlessly before him, offering an infinite expanse of land on which to play their game. The lavender light from the sun cast a rosy glow across his pale wings, the uneven surface of the snow painted various shades of warm colours.

The fire of her renewed pursuit kindled a vigorous excitement in his heart, and he tried desperately to put distance between them; she was very fast on foot, and he was determined to stay out of her reach. The blissful sound of her silvery laughter rang out clear across the flat land, echoing faintly from the immense faces of distance mountains. The infectious sound brought about a manic smile to his lips, and he spun about on the icy plains in a reckless and energetic way.

A swift glance over his right shoulder told him that the black mare was no longer in pursuit of him, and gradually he slowed his gait to a halt. Cheerful laughter died out into silence as he noticed that she had stopped, his expression fading to one of confusion. Quickly, he turned about to face her and broke into a swift lope. He beamed at her as he approached, eyes bright and chest heaving as he caught his breath, steam gusting from flared nostrils. It took him a moment to notice the odd way she way standing, and concern dawned upon his face as his gaze drifted to the leg she seemed to be favouring. "Are you alright?"

His voice was laced with concern as he studied her foot, gaze drifting to a deep rut behind her which he figured was the cause of her injury. He hoped their game would not be cut short due to a mere fault of the ground they stood on, but he did not want to continue if it would cause her pain. Slowly his gaze returned to her face, lit up by violet light that emanated from the setting sun. His thoughts wandered to their first meeting on the arch, where they had decided to become explorers together despite her affiliation with the Basin. He worried about how herd life was treating her, and he prayed that their friendship would cause her no harm. "Shall I call for a medic, or do you think you'll survive?" He asked with a teasing tone to his voice.

(No worries! <3)

"talk talk talk"

Wind me up, put me down

Image Credit

Psilo

Chernobyl

He flew on before her, heels flicking outwards underneath his gait as he went. He looked so beautiful and free. She wondered what it would feel like to cast her worries to the wind and thrive with such a passion for life. Time and again she admired him for his freedom of heart. After all, it was not perpetual freedom that she sought; it was an honest future built above her past where she no longer had to look behind her but instead in front of her. She had momentarily forgotten the slow burning agony that spread presently from ankle to cannon and instead focused on the sailing of his beautiful tail in the wind. He hadn’t realized that she had paused in pursuit, not yet. But when he did, his eyes held a concern for her that she had never seen before. Like a fascinated child she longed to reach out and stroke his face, question the loss in his eyes even if it was just as fleeting as her emotions.

The sun threw rays of light upon his back as he shifted from his ascent. Turning his shoulders away from his powerful haunches he returned to her and upon arrival she proffered him a small smile. A good friend she had found in him despite their differences and it moved something inside her to brew hot and steady. It was a longing to expel her tensions along with the weight of what they both knew but would rather avoid that made her grimace. Her lips parted as if words would come easily, as if her explanation for their friendship would justify it somehow.

But the words never came.

Instead she chuckled at his sense of humor and his sense of comfort in her. She was glad that he was but a mere Outcast- someone that would pose no threat to the Basin and someone who would escape their radar. For a few more hours, a few more days, she would hide his magic from them. But she knew it would not be easy. She didn’t want them to steal him away from her eager vices, didn’t want them to reprimand her heart for experiencing warmth. It was all so strange and far too much to take in in a single afternoon.

Perhaps you should run for a medic, but if you do, you will lose this game and of course I will win.” She tilted her head slightly after words so filled with confidence and greed had overtaken her previous forlorn attitude. Her throatlatch lie exposed before him in prominent display of her fine breeding and she used the opportunity to look away. Her eyes reached for the heavens and prayed that he would never suffer at her hand and perhaps that’s what made her cringe. She had put him in danger of not only the Basin but the Plague as well. What would they say if they found out? She wasn’t sure and she really didn’t want to find out either. She would surely be ripped of her newly acquired title, but was it wrong of her to feel as if she had earned nothing of real note in which to bear the name proudly?

Her thoughts had gotten enough of her attention this day and she chose to look into those widened eyes once more, eyes that welcomed. They were explorers together were they not? They had much to discover together and much to learn from one another. This was only the beginning of a beautiful friendship. “I’m alright, I think I will live.” Another lopsided grin forced its way to her mouth and for once she didn’t try to stop it.

pixel is by RELI<3

Gaz

The pain in her eyes seemed to fade to reflection as he approached her, and Murdock wondered what she could be thinking of, as he often did. Too often bitter memories seemed to plague her, distracting her from the moment’s happiness to dwell on things past. He desperately wanted to ask what was troubling her, and though the opportunity for such a question had presented itself multiple times, he had always backed down at the last moment. Silently he studied her face, tracing the outlines of her cheekbones as she looked into his eyes. The dry smile that met her lips was small and subtle, but it was a smile nonetheless.

He remained quiet as she searched for words, offering a simple smile as if it would ease the pain she was feeling. Their carefree game had been cut short by her most unfortunate injury, but Murdock wouldn’t allow it to sour the mood. His grin broadened as she spoke, and he tipped his head to the side as he regarded her. “Well, we wouldn’t want that, would we?” He chuckled, blinking softly against the lavender light that bled across the snow from the horizon. He had never had the chance to play games with the other foals when he was younger; the class system had been quite prominent in his fleet and he was kept apart from the other children. Even if he had been allowed to mix with the others, it was unlikely that anyone would’ve wanted to play with him.

Despite having little experience with games, he had been quite excited about participating in such a thing with Chernobyl. She clearly had things figured out, and it had been nice to have someone else lead in the entertainment for a while. He had lacked friends as a colt, and now he considered the black mare to be the closest thing he had to a ‘friend’. His ears perked as she spoke once more, ears perking as he returned from his thoughts. “That is good news, indeed.” He laughed softly, returning her lopsided grin. Evidently, their little game had come to an end. He wondered how she would return to the Basin if she was injured, but perhaps her herd land was closer than he realized.

Wordlessly he stepped up beside her, turning and lifting his wing so as to offer his side to lean on and take some weight off her injured leg. “So, what brought you out on the steppe, anyways?” he asked curiously, emerald eyes studying the knife-like protrusions from her thorned crown. “Taking your shadow for a walk?” His gaze fell to the darkened patch below their feet, a soft chuckle escaping his lips. Their shadows were blended together, as if some strange creature stood upon the planes with both a set of wings and two heads. Murdock smiled at the image, entertained by the simple oddity of the illusion that stared back at him.

"talk talk talk"

Wind me up, put me down

Image Credit

Psilo

Chernobyl

Whatever had amassed between them had grown from a small bloom into a massive blossom full of color and life. The thought reminded her of the weed that Murdock had been protecting upon their last meeting. It was something that she had thought was so strange then and yet, now she believed it to be nothing out of the ordinary- at least for him. The idea made her smile. She wondered what had bruised his intellect into believing inanimate objects were things of feeling and life and then decided that it wasn’t even worth contemplation. If he loved a plant then she loved it too, all for the sake of believing in something or rather someone.

The night began to fall around them and she felt at ease and slightly exhilarated that she would be able to watch the sun fall from the sky by his side. It was something that she found truly magical because there was no rhyme or reason for its slumber and yet it did anyways… It disappeared beneath the crest of the earth until it rose again the next day. There was no explanation for it and she turned to Murdock with a questioning gaze. “Have you ever wanted to explore the end of the earth?” That is, if one even existed. The concept was too large for her to wrap her head around. She had traveled a great deal and had never been close to finding the horizon. Was it just her destiny to continue looking forever?

However, she had been so entranced with her theories that she had totally forgotten to acknowledge Murdock and his attempts to break through her wall of despair. It seemed that she had forgotten her troubles for a moment while pondering what it would be like to travel by his side. She decided that it was better to forget reason while she was with him here and turned back to his gaze, eager to justify her presence in the Steppe. “I came to get away from the pressures of the Basin. It can be a little overwhelming at first.” But that did not mean that she would betray them. She would never risk her place amongst the Plague, a place amongst her family. But sometimes she wondered when they would start feeling like exactly that- a family.

She tossed the thought aside and instead settled on something new. She would discuss her duties in the Basin one day with him but it wouldn’t be today. She didn’t want to ruin his chipper mood, after all, she had just ruined their game of tag and that was enough to weight heavy on her mind. She looked down to contemplate the injured ankle and she lifted it in order to test its stability. It quaked momentarily before complying and she knew that it would be fine in a few days paired with a bit of rest. She wouldn’t want to disappoint her explorer with bad news so she smiled into his eyes and spoke softly. “I’m glad I happened upon you again explorer.

pixel is by RELI<3

Gaz

His gaze lowered to her meet her eyes as she looked up at him, contemplation evident on his face as he pondered her question. He had seen much of the world, and yet despite his extensive travels he had never come across the ‘end’ of the world. He wondered if such a place existed, or if the world simply went on forever and ever; perhaps she would help him find out someday. “Yes, I have,” his voice trailed off in thought as his gaze rose to the taught horizon line, “if there even is such a thing.” A smile curled on his lips as he admired the pastel blush of the sunset, stretching upwards into the night sky as darkness fell around them.

As the stars began to appear overhead, his iridescent markings began to light up as well, glowing dimly against the coal-black of his coat. He nodded at her words, his thoughts returning to his own days among a herd. He wasn’t sure what life was like as a scholar, but he had been under immense pressure as a captain of his fleet; he imagined her own schedule was tight, as well. Now, he had almost all the freedom he wanted, with little else to bind him to promises or other duties. He nodded slightly, tipping his head lower as he shifted his weight in the softening snow. A warm breeze played through his mane and tail, a simple reminder of summer when little else indicated the warm season around them.

It had been years since he had put aside the time to watch the sunset, and the last time he had done so he was with his mother. He wondered how his family was doing, and how things had changed since he had been forced to leave them behind. As a colt, he had been unable to imagine life without his family; after his father died and he was separated from the fleet, he was forced to come face to face with reality and come to terms with the harshness of life. He had found his footing in Helovia, though, and he was glad that he had found stability and support in the black mare.

He returned his attention to the situation at hand as he noticed Chernobyl look up into his eyes, shifting against his side as she tested her injured ankle. Silently, he met her gaze, listening to the soothing tones of her voice as she spoke. A bright smile split across his lips as he studied her, all previous troubles forgotten as he looked into her dark eyes. “As am I.” His voice was low and soft as he leaned toward her, touching his velvet nose against the smooth muscle of her neck with closed eyes.

"talk talk talk"

Wind me up, put me down

Image Credit

Psilo

Chernobyl

The cool breeze indicated the falling of night and the magic that came with it. The moon began its ascent into the heavens and she watched with wide eyes as it did. The sparkling of its glimmering face upon their reflective pools was something that would have been a sight to see. For when did such a creature find comfort in the night? But it was her nest; the womb in which she grew when the twilight hung overhead. She often used her days to rest while she used her nights to wander. She was much like a nomad sauntering around the Basin when the sun went down and that was the time that she felt truly alive. Sometimes she would even risk wandering out into the Steppe to watch this very same scene but it was not the same. With Murdock at her side she felt as if the stars glowed just a bit brighter and the sky was just a little darker creating the perfect contrast for the world below to see. Above them the planets were always turning but what they didn’t know wouldn’t hurt them.

Along the snow covered plains the lights raced between shadows and down along the grooves of one valley or another to disappear into the distance. She watched it all and sought to capture the magic of the night beneath her toes. But she wouldn’t leave his side; instead she would inhale his sweet scent and curl her warming breath into his shoulder. There were times when standing still felt right even if one found themselves running, always running. Perhaps the idea was one that pushed her into action, though only figuratively so. Her lips parted then, ready to reveal herself and share the lies that often tore her truths apart.

I am obligated to the Basin to refrain from your kind, but I find that I am more comfortable in your company than I am in my own. I hope that I will never have to choose between you… but my servitude is something that I find success in and if asked, I will relinquish what is required.” She looked into his face hoping to find understanding there because despite her resolve, there was a small pain resting in her gut that made her want to bury herself in his skin and forget everything that rode upon her shoulders.

It was not merely her obligation to the Basin that made her speak such dismal words but more so her obligation to Psyche and the Plague. It was time she accept her responsibilities and forget trying to run from them. She had many things before her that required her undying attention and she was loyal enough to admit as much. Unfortunately, Murdock had stumbled upon the burning grounds and she was the one who stood with torch in hand ready to set it all to flame.

pixel is by RELI<3

Gaz

The rosy blush of sunset was slowly swallowed by the falling net of darkness, the moon’s chalky face replacing that of the sun as it rose into the heavens. Millions of stars appeared in the sea of black, their glittering eyes shimmering like crystals in the sky. Thin ribbons of colour began to dance above the distant mountains, the sapphire aurora curling and spinning like lace. Their shadows had disappeared with the falling sun, put to sleep by music of the wind as it whispered across the icy steppe. The temperature began to drop in the absence of the sunlight, and Murdock fluffed his downy feathers against his body for warmth.

He held her gaze, nodding slightly to show that he understood. It pained him to hear of the sacrifices she was willing to make, but he understood that circumstances in the Basin were much stricter than what he was used to. As an outcast, he had no scruples to acknowledge and no commander to answer to; he was free beyond his wildest dreams and it was both wonderful and lonely at once. It saddened him that they were separated by such a fissure of rank, but there was little he could do to change that. He was unaware of her association with the Plague, and in fact unaware of the Plague itself. He knew racism was bred and thrived in the north, but he had not yet been introduced to the heart of the darkness.

He smiled at her, feeling the warmth of her breath against his shoulder as she spoke. “I understand. I’ll always be here for you, though, should you need me.” His promise was softly spoken and sincere, the least he could offer her with the hope it would provide her with some consolidation. He hated the pain that he saw in her eyes, and wished that he could permanently erase the darkness from her gaze. If the Basin was where she wanted to be, where she felt at home, then he would not persuade her from her family. Given the harshness of their beliefs, he hardly imagined it would be a pleasant place to stay, yet he had no personal experience to back his theory.

“You are happy there?” He asked softly, turning his head toward the sheltering sides of the mountains. He loved the comforting bite of the cold, and it reminded him of the home he had left behind. The sharp grey edges of the cliffs resembled those he had grown up on, and those he had been taken prisoner on. He wondered if he would ever find a new family to become a part of, and then maybe he would finally feel at home in Helovia. No matter what the future held for him, he would always find comfort in the presence of the black mare, whether it was forbidden by her herd or not.

"talk talk talk"

Wind me up, put me down

Image Credit

Psilo

Chernobyl

Dark whispers from the Basin seemed to infect the perfection of the moment and she cringed. It was getting late and she knew that the warriors would be pacing the borders now, surely waiting for intruders but still making the exception to question even those Basin members returning home at night. She wondered if they would question the strange scent upon her skin or the new shine in her eye… She didn’t want to go but priority pushed her from his warm embrace. This night was one that would be forever remembered because she knew that his heat had warmed her cool heart. However, before she could go, he trapped her there with his words. Was she happy? She could say that she was in the premise of success. She was working for something beyond what she had been given and maybe one day when she felt she was satisfied with the results, she would return to him.

Perhaps that would be the day she would answer his questions fully and explain her sense of obligation. They had been born into different roles in this life and now she was being forced to honor her own word. It was a frightening thing to feel so tied down to something she had done herself because promises were not something she would break so easily. She turned back to face him, dark tendrils of unruly forelock hanging over her eyes in an effort to conceal her emotions as she spoke. “I am happy for what I’ve accomplished here and for what I think can come of it. There is no easy way to tell you that I give myself away so easily, but it is something that I desire and perhaps need in order to feel whole.”

She wasn’t sure if it would make much sense to him and maybe it wouldn’t make sense at all… but this was her life, was it not? It didn’t have to make sense to anyone else. A hardened shell seemed to come over her now and remind her of the things she’d sworn- dark things that would horrify her explorer because she was not as light as she seemed. But that was why she had chosen the Basin, right? In order to nurse her twisted fantasies to life and claim a name for herself? She looked back into his eyes for a moment, pure emotion roiling behind her thick lashes. This would be the last time she saw him for a while- she knew that much. It was hard to walk away, even more so without saying goodbye.

But she didn’t think the words could pass her lips so easily. She didn’t want to be the one to say farewell.

pixel is by RELI<3

Gaz

Midnight was approaching, and he knew she would be leaving him soon. It had been nice to play tag with her and watch the sunset, to relax and enjoy the simpler beauties of life and spend the day in the company of someone other than his shadow. The steppe was silent and cool, a warm gust of wind reminding him that summer was in bloom in the southern reaches of Helovia. The clear sky and mild air seemed to welcome him to take flight and observe the land from above, where everything looked so small and unimportant when you were miles above the ground.

He met her gaze, nodding slowly as he absorbed her words. It was the response he had expected to hear from her, but that didn’t make it any easier to accept. He knew that her duty was to her herd and to her family, and he was but a friend and an explorer in the big picture; it made sense for her role in the Basin to be her priority. Though she did not say it outright, he felt that it would be best to keep his distance from the north for a while. Perhaps that would allow her some time to settle into her duties and devote herself without him to tempt her to break the rules.

The light faded from her eyes as she looked at him, and he wanted desperately to tell her that everything would be alright. Perhaps the Basin provided her with comfort enough to distract her from whatever memories haunted her, but of that he could not be sure. He leaned into her shoulder, feeling her warmth against his skin and committing her scent to memory, should he cross her path again. The stars danced and twirled overhead, the world spinning too fast for his liking as the time for her departure approached.

He looked into her eyes a last time, offering a final smile as he stepped away from the warmth of her touch. The sky was his easiest escape and it would allow him to put distance between himself and those members of the Basin who might be out for a late night stroll. He lifted his wings, testing the lift of the air beneath spread feathers. “Farewell, may we meet again soon.” He dipped his head to her, his voice hushed beneath the whisper of the wind. He turned away to face the mountains, hooves pushing off the ground as he gained momentum and lifted up into the air. Her figure soon became small below him, just a black smudge upon the white snow as his shadow had been when first they had met.

"talk talk talk"

Wind me up, put me down

Image Credit