the Rift

No Wind to Carry Me Home {||Catillatio, Open||}

Ricochet the Incendiary Posts: 133
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.2 hands :: 5 years Buff: BULK
Blu

The summer sun cast its liquid gold rays upon the backs of two flighty creatures. One, the much smaller of the pair, was running aimlessly through the trees, stopping to smell every single aroma that its small black nose picked up on. It didn't care who the owner of the scent was -- he had disturbed a few porcupines already, he had the quills in his nose to prove it -- just as long as he got to find out what it was.

The larger form, however, loped with a steady rhythm. His mismatched hooves pounded mercilessly against the dark mossy floor, plowing their way through every bush or fern frond that stood in his path. The plants whipped against his scarred buckskin hide, but the pain only reminded him of the torment that he had gone through only months prior. His jaw clenched at the memories of the dragon's breath enveloping his face; of the odor of burning flesh and and singed fur filling his nostrils.

The brute shook his head violently, unwilling to let himself wallow in his self pity. You have conquered, and you have overcome. Now is not the time to sit here and think of the past. It is time to seek vengeance for the injustice that has been dealt to you!

A small, flower-spotted field stretched out ahead of the buckskin, their vibrant colors a pleasant surprise for the stallion. Ricochet had been traveling through the dark, dreary forest for many days now, and the change of scenery was welcomed by him. The equine was beginning to pick up the pace again when he realized that the dim-witted canine that he had as a companion was no where in sight -- or, as Ricochet liked to put it; where he should be.

"Guns!" The brute whistled to the collie, annoyed that his dog was once again straying too far. He could have sworn that the beast's sole purpose in life was to meddle with the quarter horse's affairs. "Get over here, you scatter-brain!" The affection in the stud's voice difficult to hide nonetheless. Being unable to bond with his companion was frustrating for him, but he still felt that unmistakable connection between him and the little black dog. Why else would he continue to follow the stout buckskin, if not for that link?

Guns whipped his body around at the big horse's whistle, his ears pricked forwards and his tongue lolling out of his mouth. He loved master -- although respected him was much more appropriate -- and he would do anything for him. Especially since master's face got all funny, the burns on the side of it not flattering at all. Not that it mattered to Guns, he just followed the yellow-ish horse wherever he went. But, where was it that they were going, exactly?

Ah, yes, the thought was returning to him now. Stupid Guns, stupid!

We're going home!

We're going home.
"{{Extreme, major, ridiculous fail of a post. Can you tell I'm not used to these two characters yet? XD}}"

Catillatio Posts: 65
Banned atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3 :: 12 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Loon

Actions | "Speech" | Thought

The summer sun warmed the dusty back of the dunskin stud as he made his way through the threshold forest. He could swear he knew the entire place better than he knew his own knees, he'd been here to often. However, he was tirelessly at work. The rejection of the Grey's help meant he had a lot of work to do, and what better place to start than here? The stallion had stopped in his tracks to stand in a flowered field. With the sight of such food, he remembered how hungry he was. He figured he could spend a few moments to replenish his energy if nothing else.

Lowering his head, he grazed for a few hours, filling himself with dew-covered blades and flower stems. He was interrupted after a while by the sound of a loud whistle at the other end of the meadow. His eyes caught sight of a scarred buckskin stallion. His dark ears pricked forwards as he swallowed the vegetation he had in his mouth.

Guns! Get over here, you scatter-brain! Tio raised up his head still further to stand at attention, his acidic green eyes blinking once or twice in a stoic manner. A wind beat itself against his back legs, carrying his scent, the scent of ash and sea salt empowered with the stench of stallion towards the newcomers. Tio did not move or make an attempt to hide. He saw no reason for it. He gazed across the distance at the stallion and his canine companion.

The stud seemed to be suffering from severe burns to the face. Tio wondered what had caused them, or where he had been before he'd found his way here. The stallion further wondered if the other would be interested in joining his cause. A coup d'état was no easy thing to accomplish, Tio would need all the help he could get, and by this stallions scars, he was a veteran to war and fighting, and had the experience that Tio sorely needed. With that in mind, the dunskin began to walk calmly forwards, calling out only once. A dark whinny of greeting.

"Greetings, Traveller. I am called Tio. Have you traveled far?" He asked as he got closer.

Ricochet, played by Nyte
Pfft, you're fine. <3

Deceased
Blu

Dark ears wavered to and fro as they tried to locate the source of the call that had resonated across the flowery field. Locating the source of the noise, the stallion raised his own and pricked his own ears towards the other beast. The wind had carried the smell of the ocean towards the yellow stallion, and he immediately assumed that the cinder-colored stallion must have come from the Edge. Ricochet's knowledge of his former home had become rusty, however, and he could not be so sure.

"Come on, Guns," the brute spoke softly, only wanting his companion to hear his command, and then changed his course so that he was walking directly towards the dunskin. As Ricochet drew closer, he found that his tense muscles were relaxing more, and more until he was just casually gliding through the grass. Moments ago he would have considered the striped stallion to be a threat, but now that he was up-close to the tyrant he could only picture him as a smooth-talking ladies man. He was probably a lot fiercer than he appeared to be, but Ricochet could only see a lean-built stag with a stride that was as fluid as a stream wind caressing tall stalks of grass.

He looks to be more of a dancer than anything, the buckskin commented to himself while raking his blue gaze across the brute's architecture. But maybe what he lacks in brute strength he makes up for in technique. It was a blunt statement more than it was a question.

With a hearty sigh the buckskin shook out his mane, walked past the barred equine, and called over his shoulder, "As you can see, I'm in a hurry; and yes, I have traveled far." The brute cast his gaze around the flower-spotted meadow, trying to find where his dog had run off to. It turned out to be more of a challenge than what it was worth, though, so the quarter horse stomped his hooves and turned around. "Seeing as I've lost my dog, again, I might as well ask you of your business here. You must be here for some reason or another, and I know it's not to chat. No one comes to the Threshold to chat."

"Talk talk talk."

Histe Posts: 99
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
Merikh :: Cougar :: Paralyze ali

HISTE</style>
your breathing sounds like the sickest
music playing backwards in my head
</style>

Ears snapped forward at the whistle that echoed through the Threshold. The voice that followed was one that she recognized all too easily. "So the little master came back." She said to the cougar who had also paused to listen. Merikh's head turned to her and she grinned at the cougar. "We should say hello, shouldn't we Merikh? It wouldn't be polite to ignore his return. Not when we were there when his sorry ass was chased out of Helovia." Merikh's whiskers twitched in the way that they always did when he agreed with her but chose to remain silent. Without another word the mare angled her lithe figure into the trees and stalked forward as silently and effectively as any predator.

"There's a second one." Huinne's voice whispered mere seconds after she'd heard Catillatio's voice.

"I heard." She murmured back quietly.

"What are you going to do?"

Histe's shoulders moved into what appeared to be a shrug. Huinne and his plans. Why did he always ask what she was going to do? What did it matter? Did she always have to know what she was going to do? Why not just wing it? It was what she'd done when Jackal had stumbled upon her in the swamp. Planning hadn't been what had scared the piss out of him and had gotten her a chunk of his ear to munch on.

The brindled mare did not hesitate when she finally reached the two stallions. She strolled out of the forest and into the clearing, a wicked grin etched onto her chiseled face. "What have we here, hm?" She purred in her gravelly voice. "The little master and his ever faithful pooch finally returning to Helovia after being chased away with his tail between his legs." She scoffed and flicked her thin tail against her scarred hind legs. "What brought you back? Balls finally dropped and gave you a little courage?" She cackled then turned her attention to Tio, or rather the tree behind him that Merikh had scaled and now sat perched upon one of its branches. "Hungry kitty?"

ooc:// hope you don't mind me crashing with histe xD
she has some history with rico, so i thought it appropriate for her to welcome him back.

CREDITS

Deceased
Blu
{ That's fine by me, Ali. You'll have to fill me on what that history is, though, as I have no experience with Rico yet. XD I just know that they're acting rather hostile. }

Catillatio Posts: 65
Banned atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3 :: 12 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Loon

Actions | "Speech" | Thought

A sinister chuckle escaped Tio's throat at the other's comments. He had to hand it to the stranger, he was smart. Inhaling on a higher note, the stud turned around to face the stallion, stepping closer so that they were about a neck's length away from each other. The gleam in his eyes as he looked the buckskin with a critical eye, as if inspecting his every asset and sizing up his worth, would be a little unnerving to some.

Now that he was closer to the stud, the scents that pervaded the air, from both of them were much easier to pick apart. Tio smelled like a combination of sea salt, oil smoke, and ash, and a deeper inspection would reveal the scent of dried blood. Tio never really cared for cleaning his hooves, although he kept them as sharp and well manicured as he could by scraping them against stones at regular intervals. The deeds of his past clung to the inside of his frogs, bits of flesh and gore clung to the deep crevices, possibly giving him thrush, but he did not seem to be lame.

In the end, the decision as to trust Tio or not would be up to the other. In any case, the buckskin had made a valid point and a comment like that deserved an answer. "Oh well, look at you, all making deductions like some kind of Sherlock. Alas, you are right. I did not come here just to waste your time with small talk. My name is Tio. I am a king without a throne, and I wish to rectify that. To that end I am here seeking followers. Anyone who has yet to align themselves to a land or a cause and itches for battle is welcome. By the look of those scars, I would assume you know your way around a fight or two. Would you find yourself interested in helping me regain power?"

Tio didn't take this stallion as one predisposed to waste time with idle chit chat and as such had decided to get right to the point. Before they could talk more on the subject, a brindle mare trotted out of the forest and addressed the stallion as if they were old friends, or old rivals. He couldn't really tell if her greeting was teasing or taunting. he glanced her up and down with his acid green ears while his ears tracked the movements of her companion, a large mountain lion. The claw marks across his muzzle made it clear he'd encountered cougars enough to know the stench of lion and to be wary of it.

Fear was not part of Tio's vocabulary, however, and he calmly glanced behind him to look up at the cat. The last cougar he had encountered had not come away from the chance meeting alive. Tio was fine with letting this one live for as long as it didn't attack him. "If you would like to know what happened to the last cougar who attacked me, you'd have to dig him up from the grave. If you don't want your pet to end up the same way and for you to follow him, I would suggest calling it back to your side, mare. I am not one to make idle threats, so you'd best listen to me." He grunted, the genteel quality of his tone tarnished by a slight aggravation. Tio was clearly not in the mood to put up with bull today.

Riccochet, played by Nyte
Histe, played by Ali

Deceased
Blu

Tendrils of ice shot down the buckskin's back at the sounds of a familiar feminine voice. It had been ages since her mocking words had penetrated the brute's skull, and he wasn't sure if he welcomed the sensation or despised it. Their history together wasn't exactly a peaceful one, but it also wasn't tainted with hatred; blood had been shed and threats had been made, yes, but the equine respected the mare for that. She had proved to be more of a rival than a mortal enemy and, perhaps with a bit of time, would turn out to be one of his allies. Histe shared memories of a world before this one, one that they had both grown up in, and she was an equine. Already she had sneaked her way into his good graces.

Turning his icy gaze to her, Ricochet replied in a low voice, "It seems as if they have, dear Histe." He stood stock still, his hooves rooted to the spot as if they were mimicking the bountiful flowers that grew beside them. The stallion knew that the witch had tricks up her sleeve, and even though he was acting kind towards her now, he would readily charge into her, his teeth snapping at her brindled hide, if her damned acid rain began to seep from the clouds. Still, he couldn't just let her give off the wrong impression to any potential ally, now could he?

"And if my memory serves me correctly -- which, I can assure you, it does -- I did not run with my tail between my legs. Cowards don't fight back with all they've got against impossible odds; cowards stand at the sidelines, watching as their superior fights to defend their homeland from a gathering or freaks."

The Incendiary's eyes lit up at his last comment, his normally cold blue orbs now igniting with flame. They had kept watch over the cat stalking up a tree, and now the flaming pools flickered to study the other stallion. Ricochet had to hand it to him: even in the presence of a witch and her familiar, he still managed to remain dominant and at ease. He knew immediately that the barred stallion was no newborn to the ways of the world, and he was not the kind to back down from a challenge.

His ego was another matter entirely. The little master would have to rectify that. "I'm not interested in pulling my weight if only to help you ascend to this so-called throne. If I am to assist you, then you are to do as I say." The stallion whistled to his dog nonchalantly, watching his lithe black and white form weave across the meadow. He felt superior, more in control, with his companion by his side. It assured the pale stallion that he had at least one other creature to back him up if all hell broke loose.

"My decision to ally myself to you rests in the power of your words, Catillatio. Will I be guaranteed a place to rule beside you if this invasion does indeed go smoothly? Will my authority go unrivaled, or will I be forced to shed more blood to claim what is destined to be mine? Not that I mind the shedding of blood."
"Talk talk talk."

Histe Posts: 99
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
Merikh :: Cougar :: Paralyze ali

HISTE</style>
your breathing sounds like the sickest
music playing backwards in my head
</style>

Pale, pale eyes locked on the striped stallion who seemed to think he was someone worthy of fear. Unfortunately for him Histe knew no such thing as fear. She knew anger and she knew the thirst for revenge and it was the only thing he'd managed to spark within her blackened heart. "Did I ask?" She snapped when he started on the last cougar who threatened him. Oh, and he had the nerve to threaten her life? Ha! "You have no idea who you're fucking with, stallion." She hissed as she angled her lean, battle scarred body toward him. In the distance thunder rumbled, threatening to bring a downpour with it. Histe's tail snapped against her hind legs and she sneered at Catillatio. "If you can dig your last enemy up then you've not properly disposed of them." She then continued on. "If you want to see the body of the last stallion who crossed me you'd have to pick his bones from piles of shit. I can very easily turn you into shit as well."

"Just kill him."

Histe had to admit that her mother's command was tempting.

"Kill him. Kill him. Kill him."

The chant was becoming deafening and Histe's ears pinned back against her head. In the tree above Catillatio Merikh began to growl loudly to combat the voices in his bonded's head that, in turn, echoed in his own.

They died away when Ricochet addressed the brindled mare. Her disposition shifted from one of anger to one of mockery as he tried to save face for being chased out of Helovia. "Superior?" Again, her eyes narrowed, but this time on Ricochet. "Do superiors run from those they deem inferior?" He cackled and shook her head, her thin mane flopping around her striped neck. "Superiors don't run. They command those that are inferior. You are no more superior to me than a flea is superior to your mutt." She gave Ricochet a challenging look. "The fact that you were run out of Helovia only tells me that you are not fit for any type of leadership."

CREDITS