the Rift

Through the Looking Glass [Arah\Open]

Chernobyl Posts: 134
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: Nine | Tallsun HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Psilo
[Image: 50c3cfe45dfd7]

Chernobyl

Time had aged the swollen wounds upon her heart and turned her eyes away from the past. Little was known of the girl because she was hesitant to share much of anything with the strange creature of Helovia. Each of them had despair in which moved them, but she did not wish to know of their stories, she only wished to frolic in the remnants of her own. There was no particular direction in which she was headed, her feet guiding her by mere ambition alone. Her thoughts struggled to remain above a line of figurative disuse before she was drowned completely in the sense of queer unknowing. The Plague had welcomed her, or at least Psyche had done as much but what now? Where did that leave her?

She was frustrated with her lack of appeal, angry with the idea that she was not moving but instead standing still. Her legs twitched with restlessness and she bristled at the thought of losing herself entirely to the agony of grief. Had she watched that horrible wretch of a mother pass beneath her hand for nothing? Had she freed herself of one distress only to accommodate another? She huffed once, twice, and then returned to a fluid gait that would carry her towards the fated mirror. She was a Disciple after all. She wondered what kind of magic she would find there.

The path was rough, though trodden in the center. It had appeared as if many had traveled to the source of knowledge countless times before her and now she felt as if her turn had come. Though, upon reaching the infamous cave she was disappointed to find only a faded glass mirror. The edges looked worn from erosion and there was no reflection to speak of. What was it about this mirror that made it so special? She knew that Myrddin, her mentor, was able to see visions from the world beyond but she had expected a sense of magic at least, a sense of belonging. But alas, there was nothing.

Stamping an impatient hoof into the flinty ground she decided that she would wait a while to see if in fact the mirror would hold true to its tale. She flicked a long matted tail of dark threads at her haunches and leaned into them as her time began, as her thoughts raced. What would become of her now? Would she ever find purpose in such a dimly lit future?

But oh, I'm staring at the mess I made
As you turn, you take your heart and walk away

crushed and filled with all I found
underneath and inside, just to come around
more, give me more, give me more

pixel is by RELI<3

• Feel free to magic on her, but no murder.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

He'd not gone back there, since the day he came out of it. Yet now he found his frosted hooves picking the unfamiliar path, his heart knowing where it lead even as he refrained from thinking on it. Some superstitious, fearful part of him was afraid, that if he went into it again, the illusion would be shattered, and he would go back to the lonely Steppe he had come from. No matter that time, and Faelene in particular, had convinced him that he was real, that the Basin was real, that he was truly back — something about that dark cave played on his fear, and kept him away.

Until now.

His hooves shuffled over the rocks, his tail flicking at his hocks in its customary manner. He could see the mouth of the cave, dark and foreboding like the maw of a monster, but he forced his faltering legs to keep moving, to take the next step, and the next, and the next, until his head entered its shadow. Once there, blue eyes adjusting to the relative dark, he paused, knowing that he was not alone; he'd thought the scent upon the track had been too old for the owner to linger, but it seemed that he was wrong. Turning his regal head, Mauja's eyes fell upon a mare he did not know, but she smelled so strongly of the Basin that he assumed she'd been here a long time — longer than he, the time-lost, anyway.

A sturdy structure, covered in what seemed to be black, with a formidable horn upon her brow. In silence he watched her, half in the cave, half outside, before giving his head a small shake. The Frostheart found his feet, and moved closer, nostrils quivering as he breathed in, and out. The air was warm, like it had been just outside, and not the deathly cold it had been upon his return. A small, humorless smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. One thing remained the same, though. He was alone in it, with a black mare. Still silent, he drew up nearer her, peering into the smooth surface of the mirror. Nothing but blankness stared back at him, much like it had looked when he'd stepped into it from the other side, though not like it had been when he had come back. Then, it had shifted, stirred, cracked even, with dark tendrils of unholy magic seeping out. What great beast had swallowed him up, and spit him out again? Narrowing his eyes, he sought for a scar of the rift, but found nothing, only its slate surface staring back without his face in it.

Slowly, Mauja craned his head to the side, lifting one 'brow as he peered at Chernobyl instead.

angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Psilo

Chernobyl

Was it the sound of rounded hooves upon the stone that had alerted her to his presence or the pungent scent of his fear? Whatever it was, she was reluctant to pull her gaze from the mirror, afraid that she would miss some fragment of insight, some glance into the other world. Even as she tried her best to acknowledge him, she was clearly more enthused with the possibility of a vision. She wasn’t even sure how the mirror worked or rather what the fuss was about but she figured that he had come looking for the same resolution or perhaps a moment alone. At the thought, she wondered if it were best to leave him here, as he had clearly come by himself for a reason- she was certainly not part of his plan. However, when the idea occurred to her that she might need to actually face him, move aside, or really do much of anything, she found a pair icy blue eyes staring back at her. They were worn as if they had seen much of the world or perhaps worn from the wisdoms of experience, though she couldn’t tell which. Perhaps it would have been better to ask rather than assume but words had left her as they gazed curiously at one another.

In her heart she felt that words were not yet needed as they often held little meaning in comparison to the silence of merely knowing. Again she flicked blackened eyes into the mirror, praying that one last glance would make her dreamy vision appear, but it never came. Wasn’t that always the case?

She settled herself into the idea of giving up and sighed heavily. It felt like the first breath she had taken all day and while she felt relieved, disappointment was soon to follow. At that she maneuvered herself aside as if she had finally decided to let the stallion by, but upon turning to face him, her lips parted fractionally as if there were something to be said of the looking glass. Perhaps the expression on her face might have led him to believe that the mirror had in fact showed her something, anything. “You’ll find nothing of note in there.” Her tongue was clipped, more frustrated with the possibility of finding only blank shadows in response to her endless patience than with the stallion himself. She’s never seen him in the Basin before and there was nothing about him to indicate that he even belonged to the place aside from the unruly crown he wore upon his brow. She did, however, take a moment to admire his coat like a woman would a fine wine as if giving herself something to remember him by. She never knew anymore with so many new faces jutting up from the woodwork.

She’d had no intentions to bore him with small talk and really hadn’t felt obligated to do so but she was curious enough to wonder if she’d been deceived by that damn mirror. Where she had thought to go ahead and leave the boy in peace, she momentarily decided that she would do just that after she had seen him look into the mirror himself. She waited alongside him now, refraining against the urge to nudge him forward. She had obviously lost all sense of her manners due to her frustration and decided it might be in her best interest to at least appear civil. “You can call me Chernobyl… if the notion ever strikes your interest.” No smile accompanied her introduction and maybe it was just as well. She wasn’t sure what he had come for but at least he had her undying attention until he too was shamelessly turned away by fate and that god forsaken piece of glass.

Ooc| First decent Chern post in a while so enjoy it while it lasts XD

pixel is by RELI<3

Ascended Helovian

<3 unfortunately, this is kind of horrible...

Black eyes peered back into his, pitch dark meeting the pale light of a cold winter's dawn — something about it fascinated him, the way her entire body was cloaked in shadows. In here, where no sunlight touched them, nothing reflected upon her cornea, no light to strike sparks. Black irises and black pupils. She looked almost soulless in the murky lighting of the cave, as if nothing lived beneath her dark skin, nothing but a monster. And even monsters breathed, right? Yet, as his own eyes met hers with a quiet intensity, he felt no hostility from her.

Then her gaze moved away, back towards the mirror, and to Mauja it felt as if someone suddenly invited the sun in again. How could one creature be so wholly dark? Part of him wanted to lure her out, into the day, see if the sun could strike color into the depths of her, see it shimmer upon her sleek coat, but as he did not know her, he could devise no plan to get her out. Instead, he remained watching her, even as she had turned away, trying to read the lines upon her face, the set of her expression; what was she doing in here? He'd gathered that Myrddin was the keeper of the mirror, or something, as he'd berated Mauja for breaking it that day, but was this just a tourist, or did she belong in here with it? Not finding the words to ask, he watched, as if her body would betray the answer to him; when she moved back and aside, he smoothly stepped into the spot she had filled, moving with the natural grace his bloodlines gave him. And again, nothing but emptiness stared back at him, this time full in the face, as if mocking him, even though he'd never thought it would give him answers. His lost days could never come again, and where he had been, would remain unanswered.

“You’ll find nothing of note in there.” Her clipped voice made his ears turn back, listening, to the frustration riddling it — she'd been here many times before, then, peering into it and wishing for an answer. And, it never showed much, he assumed, as it didn't even bother to reflect his face. "Maybe not," he said quietly, without turning to her, just studying the smooth, unmoving surface. It was so different now.. if not for the emptiness where he should stand, he would've doubted the happenings of that day when he returned.

And if not for the emptiness where she, too, should stand, he would've doubted that he really was back.

Almost side by side the two strangers stood, peering into the unknown, the mysterious, all the hidden secrets of the world. Somehow it struck him as fitting that they knew nothing of each other, not even her name, though she soon remedied that in an almost monotonous, bored voice, as if she was just going through the motions. "It does strike my interest.. Chernobyl." His usual small smile curved the corners of his mouth upwards, a little grin with mischief and warmth nestled in the nooks of his face, lighting up his eyes. "I am Mauja." And I walked out of this godforsaken mirror. He settled his gaze upon it again, wondering if it'd show him something, anything, give him an answer, but — no. How long would he linger? How long would she linger?

Would he waste away his regained life in front of it, searching for answers he'd probably never find? He ground his teeth together. That was not why he had come back. With a small, quiet sigh Mauja lowered his gaze to the uneven, rocky floor.

Faithless.

Darkseed - My Burden

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie
[Image: 4hz8ty.jpg]
Credits; Carnival-ride-Stock.deviantart.com SweetDreams-Stock.deviantart.com Photomanipulator; AlexLibby.deviantart.com

Arah

Arah walked into their little meeting. She had wondered into the cave still trying to learn about the Basin, her home. She knew that respect was hard to come by and she struggled to get it more than others. Her horns or rather antlers made her herd mates believe she was a hybrid the majority of the time. By the time she explained that no, she was a unicorn, blessed by her grandmother to be different, they either walked away in disbelief or enquired further. Only that was really it, Arah didn't know much more about her history and the blessing/ curse that had been placed upon her. Then of course, she was...nice. Well in The Basin, nice wasn't good enough to earn their respect. So instead she had become a quiet watcher rarely speaking and rarely making eye contact. She had wondered over to the cave to see if she could ask to be given a normal horn. But of course that was when she stumbled onto the meeting. She had herd rumours of a magical mirror, residing in a cave. This cave to be exact. So her cold white feet and the unconscious part of her mind had lead her here. She smiled at the two unicorns already in the cave. One, the stallion she recognised as Mauja from the herd meeting, was as white as the snow that often settled on the ground outside their home. The mare, one she had not met before, was the black as the night that fell around their home.

"I hope I'm not interrupting?" She wondered in a little closer, her ruby pendant bouncing off her chest. Her golden eyes studied their body language making sure they weren't hostile towards her, the strange mare. Her heart sank wondering if they would indeed not want her here. She loved company. Still she kept her face blank keeping a meter between herself and the others.

Haunted by my eyes, the way they hold your attention even in the loudest silences.

Notes; I totally forgot about this! So I've snuck her into the thread, but I'll post regularly from now on.
Words; 327
Tag;

And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽

Psilo

Chernobyl

She was locked helplessly within Mauja’s gaze as it once more sought the cold surface of the mirror. The quiet whispers of the haunted were captured by tilted ears as their breathing intermingled with silent cries and the darkness was enough to keep her still and unwavering in her resolve. Though, it didn’t take much for her to realize that nothing was going come from the soft reflection of oblivion that would only continue to stretch into some unknown eternity. Whatever metaphor of life that seemed to fringe the edges of her mind only disappeared behind that mirror reminding her that the small sliver of hope she had fastened to her shattered heart would only drown in the sudden swells of panic that rose from her chest. Perhaps her determination had been for naught. Her wheels were spinning and stirring up dust but the road ahead only grew longer while she stood in place trying to decipher where exactly she was trying to go anyways.

The frosted stud had taken her place and perhaps it was just as well, being that frustration had gotten the best of her. She used the moment to drink him in, as was her habit, for the short time that silence ensued. Something about him spoke of sadness though it appeared to be more deeply rooted than her own. She was gracious enough not to speak out of turn about it because it surely wasn’t her place, though she longed to hear his tale of woe- at least until she had the time to nurse her own bent emotions. Instead she settled on reaching her velveteen muzzle mere breaths away from his hide, curious enough to see each mottled imperfection for what it was. She hadn’t the preservation to withhold such a bold maneuver and maybe there was nothing to be said of it. After all, there was a chance she would never get to do it again; she didn’t feel sorry for her desires. They were just that- unspoken intentions that she no longer intended to hide.

What is it that you fear? You're eyes tell stories that your words do not.” Her eyes widened now, though no trace of emotion seemed to flicker within their depths. She wondered what she feared. Was it something that could be spoken aloud? A warm breeze reached into the clammy pits of the cave and she closed her eyes against the pleasurable rush before pushing back onto her haunches. She envisioned the warm glare of the sun upon her back but it was quickly banished into shadow as the clatter of hooves upon stone broke her reverie. The mare was dressed in various shades of ivory due to the errant shadows throughout the cave and carried a massive set of antlers behind her ears. Chernobyl was hesitant to say much and decided to instead acknowledge the youth with a threadbare nod. She hadn’t the patience to make much of her introduction because she was still shaken from the sensation of longing that had fled upon her approach. However, her eyes were inquisitive as ever- she hadn’t a need to send her away. She was kind enough as it appeared.

A cautious look was given to the snowy stud and while her expression seemed to shift ever so slightly, there was nothing there that would suggest anything other than mild irritation. She wasn’t sure how she felt about the mare standing so close to her quarters so she pressed closer to Mauja to allow her a small nook in which to stand amongst their new trio. Her heated skin seemed to tremble before quieting altogether, unsure of their proximity because it reminded her of Murdock when she had told him goodbye in the Steppe. His careful wingspan had comforted her nerves and while she found no feelings of affection other than friendship upon his recalled image, it was still painful all the same. She wondered what else she would have to give up in her mother’s name. The thought was unbearable and so she soothed it with the pretense of curiosity as her eyes, black as inkwells looked into those of gold. Like a china doll, so fragile and beautiful against the weathered face of the rock, this mare Arah was beautiful, but not as much as the stud at her other side. They must have been a sight, all three lined up before the mirror and asking for answers… “Chernobyl.

How long would she pretend that she belonged amongst them?

pixel is by RELI<3

Ascended Helovian

Though his eyes were fixed upon the mirror, his head craned slightly to the side to allow him a full view of it, the slight movement in the corner of his eye caught his attention. Saying nothing, Mauja straightened his neck again, taking advantage of his wide visual range to watch her. Her black muzzle was hovering inches from his body — he could feel the faint echo of her breath, stirring his pale hairs. What was she doing? Blinking solemnly he kept on eye upon the mirror, and one upon the mare, wondering what about him entrance her so. Surely it wasn't the asymmetrical pattern of black spots across his skin? Curiosity nestled in his blue gaze, for he found her, a living creature, to be more exciting than the blank, slate mirror. It showed him nothing, after all, no clue to his past, to where he had been, and certainly no apologies — if, indeed, the mirror was responsible for his abduction at all. Maybe it had only taken it upon itself to put him back where he belonged? Maybe he should be grateful to it? Mauja resisted the urge to frown. Was it sentient at all?

Chernobyl's words had an immediate reaction with him, at odds with the lowness of her voice. His eyes hardened, to ice, wiping away the last traces of emotion, and he turned his head the other way, no longer looking at her. "I'm not sure this mirror is my friend," he said in a clipped voice, annoyed at having been caught so off guard. Her black eyes were keen, then, to pick up the smallest of things, and in a sense he considered it a lesson. If he was going to be what he had been, he had to remember to guard his eyes.

He was, however, spared from being left alone with her, for her voice to ask him more question he did not wish to share with a stranger. The sound of hooves striking rock caught both of their attentions and, he hoped, she would forsake probing him for the opportunity to investigate the newcomer. Raising his spotted head, Mauja turned it to the side to see her, and for a moment he thought it was Korra, but then his gaze swept down from the tips of her antlers, to the body beneath. Not scarred, rugged, but ivory, pristine. Around her neck she wore an amulet, a red one unlike anything Mauja had ever seen. Inclining his head in a small greeting, he sought for himself, for a state of mind that did not involve giving his emotions away, nor being irked that he had. "You're fine," he told the antlered mare lightly, some of the ice in his gaze thawing, but not leaving emotions in its wake; they were not dead, but certainly veiled. The white one was fairly new to the herd, he knew, but a Phantom already per her own request. Beside him, Chernobyl was moving closer to make room for her, and he realized she'd never spoken her name a the meeting, nor when she had helped drive Willow and her cohorts out.

Beside him, Chernobyl spoke her name, close enough to almost touch. Turning his head back forward, to the mirror, he stretched his neck out for a moment, before turning his head the other way again, to follow Arah with his eyes. Was she, too, here to peer into this godforsaken mirror? "Mauja," he said smoothly, following upon the black mare's introduction, one ear moving around restlessly.

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie
[Image: 4hz8ty.jpg]
Credits; Carnival-ride-Stock.deviantart.com SweetDreams-Stock.deviantart.com Photomanipulator; AlexLibby.deviantart.com

Arah

She slipped beside Mauja, careful not to touch anyone or anything. Her movements where regal, filled with grace. She acknowledged each name by slightly tipping her antlered head in the speaker's direction. "Arah," she replied. Her feet had carried her to this destination, she did not know why, but now she stood with the two other horned ones looking at the mirror. She almost felt disappointed that the mirror did not show her the future or grace her with extra knowledge. She narrowed her eyes in frustration, still staring at the mirror. Then she took a single step back from the mirror. It did not do anything for her, she was clearly not one to look upon it. Looking at the other two she wondered if they too saw nothing, if they were also just staring with disapproval down at the mirror, hoping to be saved from conversation. Not in the mood to carry conversation she stood in the den with the others, silent and brooding. 'Why didn't the mirror show me anything?! Isn't it meant to have some great mystical power?' She glanced over to the ex-frost king. She had heard rumours about him, about how the mirror had shown him something or helped him out. So, if the rumours where true, it did have some sort of power.

It just didn't want to share it with her.

All emotions were kept away from her face however her golden orbs glittered, frustration burning in them. What made her so unworthy? 'Maybe the fact that you're being jealous?' The antlered mare cleared her head and gazed back into mirror. She sighed softly, through slightly parted lips. She was over-tired and being unreasonable.

Haunted by my eyes, the way they hold your attention even in the loudest silences.

Notes; No muse -_-
Words; 284
Tag; Mauja and Chernobyl

And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽

Psilo

Chernobyl

She watched as ice replaced his flame and decided that pressing further would do her no real good. She looked away from him, wide eyes pooling once again upon the mirror. She was growing bored with its blank surface and without much else to entertain her, the little doll fixed a tentative stare upon Arah. She knew that there were words still to be shared with her newly acquainted snow prince but it would have to wait until his company was hers entirely- if that day ever presented itself again. She had no quarrels either way because there wasn’t much she could do in the way of understanding someone else’s emotions, but at least she could rely on such a pretense. However, as her generous offer to allow the mare a place beside her was refused, she bristled in warning. She hadn’t the best set of skills to deal with other creatures but it made her quite sour to deal with those who were just incompetent.

Something in her voice seemed to darken when she spoke once more though it was unclear whether she spoke to stallion or mare; had she really grown so callous in the past few years? “Doesn’t seem to favor anyone but Myrddin.” She smiled at the thought of him; she was his disciple after all. Though lately she had begun to question her choice of entertainment in the Basin... It wasn’t adding up to much as far as she could tell and perhaps it was merely a sign that she didn’t fit the requirements. Maybe there was something better suited to her unique capabilities.

Or maybe not.

She hadn’t done much of anything since coming to Helovia and she wondered how long it would take for her to realize where she actually belonged. There was so much to consider, so much to consume- starting with her current companions. Mauja looked to be lost in himself which was becoming something that she no longer felt strange and the mare, well she seemed to be willing the mirror to do something, anything for her. The wraith smiled to herself letting an ominous chuckle slip from her charred lips. “I’d stop waiting if I were you.” If it wasn’t the conversation that had obliged her to stay then it was simply a lack of knowing when to cut the cord… What was she going to accomplish here standing in such awkward silence anyhow?

OOC| Oh look! It's a crap-ass Chern post with all it's usual crappy fixings. XD

pixel is by RELI<3

Ascended Helovian

It surprised him when the milk-white mare slipped up next to him, where she would see less of the mirror, than on the other side of Chernobyl, who had flitted closer to him to make room. Subtly he shifted, leaning closer to the dark mare, creating the illusion of space for Arah, as she named herself, without shuffling his frosted hooves. One blue eye rested upon the dark mare and her passive face, the other upon the antlered female; she seemed focused on the mirror, at least for now, narrowing her eyes at it before slowly drifting back a step. So, he was not the only one to see nothing, not even himself within it; it lay there, tantalizing, mystical, alone, showing nothing and no one. Taunting. A humorless smile flowed across his face at Chernobyl's words, and on impulse he reached out, forward — he had come out of it once, so surely it would not repel a simple touch? His breath fogged against the glassy surface, a murmur slipping from his dark lips: "At least it has healed for him", referring, of course, to the giant crack from which the Frostheart had returned and how Myrddin had playfully berated him for it.

It was cold underneath his plush muzzle, smooth, unyielding, no rough edges to snag against the velvet texture of his nose. There was no scar, nothing to show that it had ever been active, no physical memory to remember Mauja's return by, and with a sweeping gesture of his pale head he traced where the crack had been. Not even this close did it reflect his face, not even his breath; it lay upon its surface, condensed, but without a mirror image. With a flick of his tail, he silently agreed with Chernobyl, choking the disappointment and trying to resign himself to the fate of not knowing where he had been, or why. Had Vy been real? Had she gone to Earth, and received answers?

Maybe he should follow his own advice and do the same.

Snorting, the white stallion backed up, freeing himself from between the two mares. "You're right," he said in a mellow voice, flicking his tail again. It stirred the air against his hocks, and he shifted sideways, looking at them only with his left eye. "It doesn't do to dwell on dreams and the past." Though he had not entirely convinced himself of it, for he brooded way too much for his own good, but if he never tried to get over it, he'd never get over it, right? Giving his head a miniscule shake and the mares a slight smile he turned fully, and passed from the shadow into the light beyond, and with sunlight flashing upon her blue barring Irma came down to settle upon his scarred withers, neatly folding her wings and gripping his skin with sharp talons.

If no one catches up with him/calls for him to stop he's out. :)