the Rift

Time with the Cold [Duch\Open]

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
I worried that he would not suit us. I worried that Mirage would turn him away instantly and so on our trip to the Edge I had made a resolution to make sure he was on his best behavior. I was but a Nurse, but it was enough to feel territorial over my home. He was a quiet beast for the most part because I had given him nothing to quarrel about on our journey home. The night was invading and I hoped to arrive before the moon took to the sky. I wanted him to see the place for what it was- a beautiful, mysterious land. The mists had already begun to slip beyond the edges and out into the shadowed expanse between the Threshold and the Edge. I was more than liberated at their appearance and I took that confidence and turned to face the arrogant brute in which I had somehow deemed acceptable for our ranks.

I knew we needed warriors more than anything. I wasn’t sure how long we could hold off siege from the Basin if they decided to invade once again and I felt that it was only fair that I gather even the roughest stone in order to shape and scourge into a fine edged diamond. I looked into him now, opening his heart and soul before me like a book. He could not hide from me and I longed to be able to sift through his thoughts, bury myself into their depths to better help me understand his motivation. I paused in our march and turned to face him, wide eyes offering nothing but reprimand if he chose to disobey.

I welcome you here because of what I think you could be and not because of what you are. You come from the pits of agony to accompany me to my home and I expect you to see it as such. I’ve given you a breath of life, a second chance and I will not see it wasted. Do you understand?” I nodded briefly, lifting my head to the heavens as an indication to their undeniable rule. “You will bow before our Leader and greet her with respect. Then and only then will I find your submission true. If not, then I would take you to the battle grounds on mere terms of disrespect alone and see them abolished. Don’t give me a reason to question you boy for I have much faith in the honor you could achieve.

Dúchanar Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

[Image: 5104d81316917]

The Devil Cries
All through the night

The journey away from the threshold was semi tiring. A long sort of journey. He wasn't out of breath or anything to that sort, but what made it especially tired was the awkward and unending silence between the two. Duch had kept his mouth shut not wanting to say the wrong this and loose this perhaps "shot" and a new beginning of which he never really believed in. He was more of one who thought that people never change, course, why would he ever believe anything else seeing as his own father killed his own mother? And him not being able to help her. That was Duch's greatest fear, is being helpless ever again.

His past was one of the reasons Duch was so mean and ruthless and sadistic. He was just like his father, a spitting image of him. The same face, the same color, the same everything except his eyes, those were his mothers, but the look in them, was his fathers. How could such a mean soul ever have been king? Well he sure did a good job of bringing up the kin of the devil himself.

The larger male swiftly stopped and turned to look into the face of the black demon. Thor welcomed him and talked about second chances. Blah blah blah. His white face lifted slightly as he listened to the other males admonition. "You will bow before our Leader and greet her with respect". He sighed. He really hated showing anyone who tried to hold authority over him with any type of respect. But he nodded in agreement. No funny business He said short and clear. He looked around and saw the land before him. It was astonishing. He was not one to recognize beauty, but this place was just that.... Beautiful.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
larfsalot.deviantart.com

One's past did not define their future.

The WeyLeader's past was littered with a variety of things. Pain, suffering, solitude, joy, war, death. But she had worked through it all, never losing sight of who she was, of what she was on this world. The little shadow creature had changed over the years, she had grown, matured into her own soul, a soul that was closely entwined with a dragon's. Akaith had done nothing but give her insight into her own flaws, her own strengths, the little queen had helped Mirage become the best she could be.

But even the dragon could not prevent the rare shadows of dark, angry emotions from overwhelming her bondmate every now and then.

It didn't happen often, and usually required a trigger, an event where such violence, such rage would be warranted. A shiver coursed through the dark pelt of the maiden, as she recalled the consequences an unknown stallion faced when he tried to take advantage of her body, to dominate her, to impregnate her against her will. She recalled the way his body slumped, a charred corpse lying upon the dry grasses of Helovia's Heart, the grunt of effort her beloved Vikram had given as he heaved the body into the well of flames nearby.

Such events did not define the maiden, at least, not on their own. What defined Mirage was how she moved on afterwards, how she learned from them, how she used them to her advantage. Knowledge was the greatest power one could posses, and Mirage yearned for knowledge more than any other substance in the world.

A curious chirrup from her beloved in the trees above drew her attention away from internal reflections of battle's past. As subtle as a gentle sea breeze, the little shadow moved amongst the trees, towards the area where Thor's deep voice spoke, where a meek reply came from the maw of a stallion still unknown to her. The shimmering, image distorting cloak was upon her frame as she pulled herself forth from the clutches of the shadows, the mists dancing at her feet, a golden dragon gliding with aerodynamic ease on the wind above.

The cloak was dropped, and the little mare stood before the stallions with a curious tilt to her crown being the only hint she gave of her interest. Otherwise she remained impassive, vacant, her golden eyes peering up to the titanic frame of Thor with a hint of a familiar smile behind them, before venturing to the hide of this new beast, drinking the scars, the muscle tone, the tortured stature of him.

"Greetings." Her voice was as soft and subtle as the hint of salt on the misty air. "Welcome to the World's Edge." She proffered nothing more, unwilling to label herself a leader from the get-go, she would rather prove herself to the unknown steed, let him call her his leader instead of demanding that he did so. Let him judge her as nothing more than a little shadow in the lands, a quiet, wise little sylph, whose abilities were often underestimated given her initial appearances. Akaith landed upon her rump, the glistening, golden hide reflecting what little light was left in the skies from the sun.

The sun set, and the Moon rose. It was time for the shadows of the Edge to play.

He seemed to be a wall against my words and it took my breath away. Finally I reluctantly looked away and accepted his strange form of approval and I was glad that I was able to let go of the air I had been holding onto since beginning our journey to the Edge. Whether or not he would justify my reasons for allowing him to follow me was not something that I could determine now but at least he wasn’t openly defying me. Maybe there was more to him than I knew and I was choosing to selfishly look the other way. I looked back to him, apologetic for my outburst. I was not one to understand difficulty or tolerate defiance, but I was willing to admit when I was wrong, especially when I had been quick to jump the handle.

The Edge was upon us now and I released a greedy sigh. Her face was a delight to my heart and her arms were a constant source of warmth for my soul. I was home and I didn’t care if the brute behind me would ever call it such, just as long as he swore an oath to protect my family or leave if he could not. I turned to him now, unsure if I should say much of anything after such an insult to his character. I knew that I needed to amend the damage I’d done so I paused until he had come close to my shoulder. “We are a family here… all of us. I hope that you will find everything to your liking… brother. Welcome home.” I looked into those bottomless eyes and hoped to find some trace of life, some indicator that he saw a change in his life standing tall before him. The dusk was casting glittering purple light across the wake of mist as it parted beneath our feet and even the trees seemed to stare down upon us in jubilation.

This was it; this was the magic that had compelled me to find comfort in the Edge, in my family.

However, as we moved into the land, focusing on its core where I would offer him shelter for the night, I noticed a small shadow dance across our path. Mirage looked well after out spar and I was more than glad to share company with her. After all, I had wanted her approval of the brute at my side. I knew that I needed to overlook my vein tendencies to pick through the stallions of The Threshold because I held standards of godliness high above their heads. I couldn’t expect them to be perfect by any means. Everyone had to start somewhere didn’t they? I nodded to Mirage as she stepped forward to greet the lad. I was quiet in her presence, instead choosing to allow her to comb through his qualities on her own. She was perfectly capable of forming her own opinions and I hoped that this boy would prove me wrong.

Maybe he was worth more than I thought, maybe he would put my doubts to rest and revive morale for our ranks. One at a time, I would help to see us live again.

Unregistered

The Devil Cries
All through the night

The area was beautiful. Even he could admit to such beauty, even if beauty did not catch his eye easily. The ground was green, the trees tall and lush, the sky ever clear and the air was perfect with a slight fog rolling in. There was a ledge off in the distance that over looked the ocean. It was quite a sight for even the most hateful of stallions. This place reminded him of his old home, and also the place where his mother died, or should it be said, where she was brutally murdered by the spitting image of Duch himself. Duch often saw himself in the body of the one committing the crime. His soul entwined with the evil stallions. His mind reenacting every step, every decision. The blood of his mother on his own face again, but from a different perspective. He could feel the join his father felt when he murdered his mother. But it was all just a dream. Right?

Duch snapped out of his horrid day dream as the larger male spoke to him again. This time his words had a hint of apology to them, For what, Duch guessed he apologized for to quickly coming to a conclusion that the dark stallion would lash out against his almighty leader. Certain words caught his attention though, brother, and a word he spoke earlier. He ad called the leader a she. It was a she though? She must have to be a strong might mare to lead a herd. Thought of a tall strong masculine mare filled his thoughts, for what was an evil brute without being somewhat sexist right?

His next sight shocked him. Depicting by Thor's silence, Duch caught on right a way. This mare was the leader. A small raven mare, the same color as himself exited the woods surrounding them. She was small and petite, but Duch could sense a fire inside her. She was more than what met the eye. She was strong, inside, and out. Duch dropped his head slightly in recognition of the mares presence, as Thor had told him to do so. "Greetings. "Welcome to the World's Edge."

The mare spoke to him. Her words soft and not giving away her position in a direct manor. He nodded slightly before lifting himself back up. He knew he had to act accordingly and be wise. He thought about his words wisely. He opened his mouth and spoke in a monotone voice, trying to to come across as rude as he often did anytime her opened his mouth. Dúchanar...... Ma'am he left a sort of pause before he said ma'am. His thick Australian accent shining through again

He tilted his head slightly as he noticed a small animal land on the back of the mare. It looked to be like a... dragon? No it couldn't be. Those things didn't really exist.... right? He looked slightly closer without being obvious. Nope, it was a dragon alright. Duch smirked softly and he looked back to the mare. This place just kept getting stranger, and stranger. Yet in intrigued him.

larfsalot.deviantart.com

The mists rolled in their peculiar way, stretching with delicate, silvery fibres outwards from their origin within the lands, swallowing all that came before them in a foggy, damp curtain. The golden dragon that sat atop the plump rump of the little Arabic mare watched these mists curiously, just as she watched them dance and reach out to this newcomer, this stranger who walked beside Thor with very much the air of one who had been put in their place. These observations were not lost on the mare, who looked from Thor to the dark steed, the fading tones of Thor's last words to the stallion, that of family, brother, still tingling her ears. She had not heard all that he said, but even those words made her chest swell with pride and happiness. He was a good stallion, she thought, as her golden eyes roamed over the miniscule wings upon his back, the mahogany tint of his hide. Bruises and scrapes were littered across her own hide, made by the very teeth and hooves of Thor, but they only aided in the satisfied emotions she felt when thinking of him.

Then her sights moved again to this dark steed, whose words were few, whose accent was not dissimilar to her own - a curl of his words that labelled him a foreigner from afar, a traveller, a wanderer, much like she had been for most of her life. The name he gave meant little to her, but the polite, respective term he addressed her with after that was duly noted, even if he seemed uncomfortable with it. Was he always like this, so passive, so softly spoken and level tempered?

Hmm.

The thought tumbled through her cranium, shared with an equally amused thought echoing back at her from the little golden queen, who still watched this newcomer with keen, sharp interest. The scrutiny of the tiny gold dragon could often be more discomforting than a mere glance from Mirage, and here they were, both peering at Dúchanar with equal intensity. Thor deigned not to speak, instead simply nodding to her, allowing her to control the direction of this meeting from here on end. A shadow of a smirk may have darkened the corner of her lips for a second.

"I am Mirage." Her gentle, soothing voice spoke, her own exotic accent clear. As her name was proffered, a shimmer overtook her bodice, one that Thor would know well from their spar together. Her image distorted, became, less-than-real, as fuzzy as the mists that dared to obscure her completely from view. But it lasted only a second longer than her voice did, she was whole again soon after. Tilting her tiara, she stepped towards this new stallion, nose outstretched, sampling the air near him - but not touching him. Elegance personified, she continued walking, until she had made a circle around him, her lithe, athletic form bending and curling so that she was only a breath away from him at all times. As she finished her loop, she sidled up to Thor, hoping to press herself affectionately beneath the wing upon his left side, her expression playful, devious. Akaith chirruped from her perch, still atop her bonded's back, before alighting to the skies once more, settling to rest upon a branch in the canopy above them instead.

"Why do you come here?" There was little inflection in her tone, nothing aside from the faint curl of her accent twisting the words, nothing but innocent questioning of his intentions here. It was a curious thing, to see whether he would respond, despite not having any true confirmation that she was, indeed, the DragonHeart, WeyrLeader of this grand land that they stood upon.

A familiar thrumming in the back of my mind alerted me to the little wraith’s plans of illusion and while it was hard to focus on much of anything, I was able to produce a sly smile as she danced between realities alongside us. The lingering mists were able to lend her a helping hand through dimensions and it was just as magical as the first time I’d seen her perform during our spar together. Her image fluttered drastically within my thoughts making me wonder if she was even really there but her welcome touch at my shoulder was enough to assure me of such. Another childish smirk tugged at my dark lips but I was still hesitant to say much of anything, afraid that I might ruin the ghostly atmosphere she had created. As if her desires had been transferred through our shared emotions I extended a fragile wing to encase her rounded back in my warmth, it was the least I could do to thank her for her the faith she had in me. I had come quite a long way from where I’d been when she found me in the Threshold.

Akaith murmured happily from her flanks and I looked back to laugh softly at the little golden dragon. Their bond was something I envied and admired; they were truly one entity instead of two. How well they fit together… the thought made me smile. I busied myself with ideas of finding a companion of my own while Mirage spoke briefly to the new stud I’d decided to humor. His personality was not as compelling as his appearance but there was a small light inside him that convinced me of his willingness to change. I sought to find the fire in him that would drive him to success but it would take more than a few brash words to draw him from the shadows of whatever ghostly past haunted him. I wanted him to wake from his nightmares and embrace the new reality that the World’s Edge was ready to give him.

OOC| He’s just overseeing the conversation.

Unregistered

The Devil Cries
All through the night

The dark stallion squinted his eyes softly as the mare before him seemed to blend with the smoke around her. An image to fit her name. She seemed to be a part of his imagination until she came back to them. He turned his head ever so slightly to the side as he looked at her again. She truly was a mirage. He blue orbs looked over her and then to the dragon that laid upon her back. It was golden, and beautiful. But those eyes. Those eyes pierced into his soul. It was as though she was searching his mind for everything he had wronged. All his sins, and murders and hate. He could feel all his emotions bubbling up inside him just from a simple glance from the little creature. But it was just looking at him?

The mare named Mirage spoke again. She asked him why he had come there. To be honest the stallion did not really know. He didn't know why he was here standing in front of this mare and willing himself to become part of her "family". Was it really what he wanted? Was it really something the evil brute could withstand? A family? He took a deep breath and let it out slowly, knowing it was pretty obvious how much though he was really putting into this. An awful lot more than he should have been. Well, Mirage, I'm not quite sure what I seek here. But as Thor has come to show me as of recently. I feel there might be some.... hope if you may say... for... me He said pausing an awful lot as he spoke trying to make sure he didn't screw up his words or go off on a wrong turn of events when speaking to this mare.

He didn't want to find himself trusting Thor more. But he found a liking to the stallion. Something about him gave him hope. But who knows... He might be the only person this poor soul ever trusts

OOC: Short post ish short :/

larfsalot.deviantart.com

Thor's easy acceptance of her close positioning warmed her heart, it was with a smile hinting at her lips that she felt the gentle caress of his wing upon her back. Was it luck, good fortune that had brought him to her? Or was it simply her skill at choosing only the finest to reside here with her? It had been her, after all, to approach him in the Threshold, to offer him shelter, purpose, family. He had followed her so willingly, so eager to prove himself - how could she turn him away? And he had proved himself, time and time again, with his gentle nature, his stoic sense of responsibility, his generous acceptance of anything that came across his path. Mirage liked him, more than one simply liked a herdmate, she was fond of him, they had built between themselves a comfortable kinship, a friendship of trust and integrity. She allowed herself a small sense of smugness at the thought that it was she who had approached him that day, not vice versa.

The intensity of her gaze, combined with Akaith's, did not waver, as they curiously peered at this stallion, the golden eyes of Mirage, and the slowly twirling rainbow hue of Akaith seemed to be peeling away the rough outer layer Duchanar was intent on using to cover up what lay within. This little shadow mare was experienced with masks, she wore one herself all the time - now, even, though few were skilled enough to tell, and the ones that did know were often related to her by blood. Duchanar took his time in replying, a quality that Mirage actually quietly admired - the power of thought was not one to ever be scoffed at, that one took the time to think of their answer was a credit to their character, it showed the potential for patience, as well as the potential for learning, for problem-solving, for growing and changing.

He spoke of hope, and the mare's stony façade softened a small fraction. He was a damaged beast, she realised, scorned by his past, hoping to turn a new stone. The tension in Thor's posture suddenly made sense to her now, as the little mare digested the body language of the steeds - Duchanar would have to learn that in order to gain himself the respect he thought he deserved, he would first need to give it, in order to earn it in return. "One thing I like to believe, Duchanar, is that there is always hope." The accented tones were quiet, but made all the more powerful because of it. She looked to Thor for confirmation that the large draft thought this stallion worthy of her time, worthy of the Edge's time - she respected his opinion, and it was he who had brought Duchanar here, after all. "I hope the Edge can provide you with what it is you do not realise you seek." A small smile curved her lips at the sentence, as with a nod, and a firm caress of her muzzle into Thor's shoulder, the WeyrLeader accepted him into her herd.

And with that, the little mirage was swallowed by her magic again, lost amidst the sound of muffled footfalls fading into the surrounding forest, the dragonsong of Akaith echoing in her wake.

OOC|| I'd like to go ahead and close this. I think Thor has done his part [at least as much as I can do with my muse malfunction].