the Rift

The rose's game [Open]

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

The moon could not shed light down on the forest floor that night because of the dense clouds that hung in the night sky. Barely even the twinkle of a star could be seen either but weather that was because of the clouds or it was just a strange night is still unknown,and will probably always be unknown. No sounds filtered though the air,not even the rustling of a mouse,or the whip of air from a hunting owl and there wasn't the slightest of breezes to pick up a leaf on its flowing movement. All was still.

But a nightmare was slowly unfolding.

Something,very small,was unfolding on the forest ground,slowly rolling out and up until you could clearly see it was a plant. But what were the petals like? They were a musty black but,as they unfolded out,they were changing color to a brilliant,blood red. It was a lone rose. The plant made no noise as it uncurled it's self to revel its brilliant red but when it had stopped unrolling a dainty laughter somehow escaped it. Imagine a little girl,playing in a garden and there is a oak that has a makeshift swing attached. Imagine the laughter from that little girl. That is how this laughter was. The laughter stirred nothing else in the forest but it kept ringing and ringing on,never stopping.

It was waiting for a game.

[Just for fun,if you want any of your characters to be creeped out:)]

"blah blah blah."

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

"It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for;

The shadows mingled and twisted, once more cascading through the Deep Forest in a secretive dance that only the ones who dwelled in darkness could know. Honey-brown orbs soaked all of this in from his spot upon the ground, neck twisted slightly so that his head was tucked inwards, nestled fondly against his folded forelegs… Yet his eyes, keen and observatory since coming to Helovia, roved across the dancing shadows. And that was when Apollo heard it.

Laughter.

The black and white stallion’s head snapped up and to attention, his nostrils flaring widely and sucking in the air around where he lay. Nothing in the air seemed off… There were also no new scents in the air. What was that? Surely there couldn’t be someone lost…? Heaving himself to his feet, Apollo looked around, swallowing thickly. The laughter echoed into silence, but not ten seconds later did it return, echoing just as malevolently as the first time through the archaic trees.

“Hello?” The stallion called, tipping his head slightly and stepping towards where he imagined the sound was coming from. It was difficult, as the childish giggles seemed to encompass all of the forest, and not just derive from one settled location. “Is someone out there? Hello?” As his eyes searched for what could be making the joyous, yet creepy, sounds, Apollo couldn’t help but note that the forest seemed strangely darker than usual. Since joining the Grey and calling the Deep Forest his home, the unicorn had grown somewhat accustomed to the shadows that made up his home… Yet these seemed different. Darker. Malicious, almost…

Or, it might have been his mind playing tricks on him. Giving a rough snort, Apollo continued on his way, searching for what was making that terrible laughter. There shouldn’t be any children about, not this far into the forest and this late at night, frolicking without their parents… Yet it didn’t take him long at all to come across what was making the laughter, and it wasn’t foals playing in the depth of the forest.

A flower. A simple, unassuming flower…

Except that it wasn’t unassuming, because flowers don’t laugh. Apollo refrained from getting much closer to it, instead snorting and staring at its black and red-tipped petals with a look of revulsion and barely concealed fear. What the heck was it? He took a step back, head swaying slightly. Maybe he should just leave…

I can never fight for myself, but, for others, I can kill."

User-based Random Event

Laughter continued to echo though out the forest,and it would continue until the flower had lured in his prey. The rose didn't have to wait long though until it's play toy had arrived. Hello? Is someone out there? Hello?The childlike laughter was cut of short to be replaced with a surprised sort of "Oh," noise. The sound had echoed round the forest so that it was almost impossible to know which direction the noise was truly coming from. The plant it's self remained still,as if no sound was coming out of it at all. This rose was not like any other rose,as you have probably gathered and as I have told you,it was here to play a game,and the stallion was the subject.

In the same child like voice it repeats the stallions speech."Hello?" It let the words echo round the forest before speaking again. "Is someone out there? Hello?" The words ring around the forest as the plant thinks. Yes,this plant can think. It has a mind of it's own with games of it's own. Messing games,games designed to mess with the mind,I know,because it has done it to me before.

This game was called Riddles.

Whispers echo though the forest from every direction. The flowers petals slowly start to drip red,each red tear rolling down a petal until it tumbles of,as if it was blood or ink. It laughs again,then speaks in it's child like voice. "Riddle me this." A breeze brushes past the stallion on both sides meeting above him to create a rusty iron gate with thorns and roses in weaved though it.

"I'm often seen around a lot, referred to many ways,
See me black and you may find misfortune haunts your days.
Tell a thing, that should have been kept quiet, to all around,
Then look inside the sack, there I'm no longer to be found.
Nosiness, prying, snooping, leaves me fearing, full of dread,
For all these things are likely to see me soon lying dead.
These clues combined should start to give a picture, an idea,
Of who or what I am, so can you tell me? Is it clear?"

Then the haunting laughter fills the air again.

"blah blah blah."

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

CHILD OF THE NIGHT</style>
Blessed with wind and darkness</style>

Despite the rather cheerful mood his recent encounters with his mother had put him in, Mesec found that the feeling was quick to wane, like the very moon he was from. It was clear to him that even though d'Artagnan was able to put up with him, such acceptance, if that was what it was to be called, did not come so easily for others. For Mesec, a simple encounter was never such, for he could see the hatred in their eyes and the distaste curling in the corners of their mouths. It was slowly beginning to take it's toll on poor Mesec.

It were those thoughts that sent the demigod away from his home in the snowy Basin, head hanging just below his withers. Already he'd ventured further than he could recall ever doing, but the colt was uncaring. He simply wished to leave those in the Basin behind, at least for a little while, and clear his mind of the disgust they were beginning to make him feel whenever he looked upon them.

Soon enough, Mesec found himself entering the deepest parts of the forest, the canopy above seeming to grow thicker and thicker with each step that he took. No longer did his mother's comforting rays shine down upon his back, emanating a glow from his dark pelt, instead immersing him in near complete darkness. For a moment, the colt thought of turning back and simply finding another way to go, but he quickly decided against it. With a snort, the child of darkness marched on, slipping further into the depths of the forest.

Nothing seemed out of the usual as the colt ambled along, pupiless eyes straining to take in all that was around him. From he could tell, the only difference was the intense darkness that had fallen over him, but just as he thought all was well, the most chilling of sounds reverberated throughout the entirety of the forest. Mesec stopped in his tracks and lifted his head up, small ears twitching about as he tried his best to pinpoint the source of the laughter. It was not all that he heard, however, for he could hear the not so far off sound of another speaking. The laughter alone was enough to cause a fluttering of unease within his chest, but as far as he was concerned, it was too late to turn back now.

Drawing in a deep breath, the youngster continued on his way, intent on finding the sources of the voices. His steps were cautious, always ready to respond should something come running his way. The laughter had ceased by now, instead taking on the voice of a young girl, but like the laughter, it was impossible to pinpoint where it was coming from.

Then, all too suddenly for his comfort, a swift breeze could be felt, and it was with a startling realization that he spotted the paint only a few paces ahead of him. Something had formed above him, but Mesec could not tell exactly what it was. Breathing an uneasy breath, the colt assured that he did not get too close to the painted stranger, and instead listened to the strange voice as it spoke again, exchanging a glance with the stranger.

It was a riddle, a rather long one, with countless pieces in it's puzzle to put together. Black could refer to many things, but it was often associated with death or misfortune, much like the riddle had spoken of. A sack... that one, he hadn't a clue about, until the riddle was explained further. He called being told that it was terrible luck for a black cat to cross one's path, and the saying that 'curiosity killed the cat' was an infamous one. Could that be what this child was speaking of? He feared what might happen if it were answered incorrectly, but taking a deep breath, he decided to risk it.

"A black cat is what you speak of," Mesec stated, doing his best to make it more of a statement than a question.

"blah blah blah."

please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Frost Fyre Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Altair :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast prissy
I'm depressed.

Mother hasn't been around lately. Wait. Why did I even care?! I shake my head, thinking I must be going crazy. Me, caring about mother's whereabouts? Ha! Impossible! I trot along, my bay roan body slipping through the forest. I hear something. Who? I shuffle forward, peering from behind a tree.

"Hello?" Once I'm closer to the shape, I see him. Mesec. Instantly my stomach begins to do flops, and I groan. Lovely. Mesec. I step towards him, seeing another. Who was this other guy? He was a unicorn, so I suppose he's okay. I place myself at Mesec's side, sighing. I suddenly notice flower, dripping red. I laugh slightly, amused. Bleeding flowers? How amusing. I glance at Mesec, wondering what he's thinking.

I glance at the other stallion. He's older, his coat is black as night. He has many spots of white, and his horn is a bluish color. I shift my weight a bit, staring at the flowers. Why wasn't I scared? Should I be? I dig my cloven hoof into the dirt, staring at the ground. Why was I even here in the Deep Forest?

Because Mesec is here.

I freeze up. Why was I thinking about this? I shake my head, disliking myself. "Hello, Mesec." I glance at the flowers. "What's going on here?" I tilt my head, glancing at Mesec with green orbs. I wanted to figure out what was happening at the moment. Bleeding flowers, two stallions. Riddles. What was going on here?

[[ >.< Worst post ever.]]

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

"It gives me strength to have somebody to fight for;

It mocked him, the childish voice. Repeating his inquiring words, and yet lacking the true questioning tone that his words had contained. They were mocking and teasing, yet Apollo’s honey-brown eyes remained upon the black petals of the flower, his body shuddering involuntarily at the voice that caressed around his ears. Before his very eyes, red liquid began to drip down the petals, almost resembling blood… The thought made his throat clench in disgust, nostrils widening as he sucked in a deep breath of air.

What was this thing? It was much more than just a simple, black rose.

Suddenly, however, a breeze pushed past him, whipping the ebony strands of his mane away from his neck and causing the painted stallion to backpedal a few steps, eyes widening in fear. What was going on? The breeze picked up, whooshing upwards, and the medic stood still for a few moments before lifting his head, spotting the wrought iron gate merely feet from above his head. Apollo had little time to figure out what to do before a riddle echoed through the air. Riddles? Oh, blast… He was terrible at riddles.

His thoughts raced, trying frantically to figure out just what it was that the rose spoke of. Black… And misfortune?

’A black cat is what you speak of.’

Suddenly, a voice echoed through the woods, one that didn’t belong to him or the creepy black rose. His head turned slightly, and what he saw surprised him. Was that… A winged colt? And a horned filly? The colt, however, looked like he possessed nearly none of the fear that the stallion was grasped by. What were they doing here?

”What are you two doing here?” He asked, fearful. Couldn’t they see that it was potentially dangerous for ones so young to be around here? Neither of their scents were familiar, so it was obvious that they weren’t apart of the Grey, or of the forest itself…

Yet… Beneath that question came the realization that yes, the colt was right. A black cat did fit the description of what the rose was speaking about. How could he not have realized? Swallowing thickly, the overo turned his head back to the rose, then glanced upwards at the gate still resting ominously over his very head. What was going to happen? Was it going to drop on him…?

I can never fight for myself, but, for others, I can kill."

User-based Random Event

The flower didn't immediately trap it's prey. It liked to scare what ever creature it was slowly,to let realisation of what was happening sink in deeper but words from someone else aggravate the flower and, if flowers could, it would be glaring at that foal, Mesec. His words were not what the flower wanted to hear. A black cat it what you speak of. Another thing you should know about the flower,is that it has feelings. It can feel happiness,it can feel sadness and it can feel anger,and at this moment, anger is what it was feeling. That colt had ruined it's fun,and he was going to pay,or more like,it's friends were going to pay. Hello, Mesec. What's going on here? The flowers mind is cunning. These two youngsters were friends.

Leaves above slowly start to turn into long,slithering snakes,all green with jet black eyes but these snakes were part of the tree. They were still attached to the branches but there body was being stretched to reach down to the filly. There was about six of the long slithering creatures,each hissing menacingly.There form surrounded the foal,each stretching down to about leg height before they start to try and wrap round her neck and body. Although there movements were slow and graceful there open jaws were ready to strike at any moment. The snakes were whispering though,but the whispers could only be heard by little frost. She hates you. They hate you. The flower read minds. It knew she had arrived thinking about her mother and so she had summoned the snakes to telepathically tell her,to upset her. The snakes were almost grinning with glee as the telepathically told her.

Whilst this was all happening the gate above the stallion had slammed down at the sides,forming a cage,riddled with spiders of all sizes,but these spiders were only visible to Apollo. Each bar was close to the next,making the gap to small to squeeze out of. There was no lock,except for the ceiling of the cage,the original gate. The flower it's self happened to be outside the cage for it did not wish to be trapped in there with (what the flower was guessing and hoping) would be a scared or angry stallion. The haunting laughter filled the air again. The blood that had rolled of the petals of the flower had now formed a small red puddle in front of the flower. A key had formed in the puddle. It was old and rusty,just like the cage around Apollo.

"Get the key. I dare you."

"blah blah blah."