the Rift

Little Moonlit Child [Aylin]

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

The mare had grown fond of the little filly who was painted so similarly to her sister, but had a pale horn instead of a crescent upon her rump; Aylin. Thoughts of the flicka pleased Mirage, she had an affectionate for her that was not unlike a mother’s affection for her own daughter – certainly Mirage would not deny such feelings existed. But the filly had a mother, a capable one at that, and Mirage was not about to interfere or upset their family, but rather she would be a friend and ally to them all, should they allow it.

Vast stretches of meadows rolled out before her, it was a dark hour of the night, the mare suspected that dawn was probably only half an hour away, and then the Sun’s rays would stain the horizon once more, and the heat that had been soaking the lands would once again scorch her existence. She longed for knowledge of how to escape such drought, but she was not a god, there was little she could do but pray that the balance would be restored soon. She looked forward to the change of the seasons, but even then, she was fearful that the change would be delayed, that winter would be pushed farther and farther back as this dreadful TallSun stretched onwards.

It was somewhat cool here, however, she was to the north of the Threshold, nearer the lands that were bathed in ice and snow, and under the protective blanket of midnight sky she was able to call upon an inner peace to soothe her worries. The pressures of Leadership were great, but she bore them well, her countenance was strong and sure, the crown that had been placed upon her had not slipped, not yet. She lived for her family, it was for them that she rose as WeyrLeader, not for her own gain, no, she longed for all of them to benefit from this choice.

Quietly the mare looked to the stars this night, the crescent moon that was in the sky reflected in her gleaming pools of aureate, inky threads swishing against her hocks. A rare breeze caused a tingle upon her sensitive forelimbs, the burns upon them had scabbed over and healed for the most part, though the vulnerable to pain. The mare breathed in, and then let her breath roll out in a sigh, as her dragon settled upon her back with the muffled flutter of wings.

[ For Aylin, whenever you have time Ali – you said you wanted some more Mirage x Aylin threads :) ]

Aylin Posts: 89
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0 :: 3
ali

The moon looks upon many night flowers
The night flowers see but one moon

Under the bright moon I could see Tallis' shadow as he flew above me. I followed it, turning when he turned, jumping when he swooped down. I could tell when he did that because his shadow would become much smaller. He was not my bonded, from what I understand only the hornless could bond to dragons, but that didn't stop me from wishing. Instead of being my bonded, Tallis was my friend and caretaker. I could talk to the dragon, tell him anything I wanted, and not worry about him telling my mother. If something upset me he would try to comfort me and he always tried to keep me from seeing the evils of the world I lived in. All in all I loved the dragon just as much as I loved the rest of my family.

Tired, I began to slow until I finally stopped. Tallis must have sensed it or heard me because he circled back around and landed in the grass next to me, chirping curiously. I nudged the dragon with my nose and began to walk. He fell in step next to me. Absentmindedly I began to hum, which was followed by Tallis trilling his own song to match mine. I giggled and nudged him once more before taking off in another run.

I only traveled a few feet before I stopped again. I recognized the mare I saw right away, but even if I hadn't the golden queen on her back would have given it away. "Mirage!" I trotted toward her, smiling widely at the dark mare. "And Akaith." I coldn't not greet the beautiful gold. Tallis landed beside me with a thump and chirped a greeting to go along with mine before climbing up onto my back. "Hi."

A draconic harmony rose into the surrounding atmosphere, beginning from the exit point of the maw of the golden one that sat upon Mirage’s withers. The mare felt a stirring of happiness, and could not tell if it began within herself or Akaith, at the sight of the little moonlit flicka. Tallis, the orange male received a touch upon his muzzle, executed by the gold who leaned precariously over the edge of Mirage’s sloping shoulders. The ebonite mare extended her velvet lips to the filly, offering a warm touch and a blow of a kiss through her tear-drop shaped nostrils.

“Aylin, I am glad to see you.” Honey-sweet tones conveyed, as golden eyes roamed over the frame of the filly. She noted the effects the drought was having on all those around her, her Light magic seemed to act as a buffer for her, though she still felt drained and dehydrated most of the time. It was this time of day, or rather night, just before the sun rose, that the whole night had been allowed to cool the lands that Mirage enjoyed.

“I hope you’ve been keeping cool?” With Tallis always by her side, she knew the filly would be kept relatively safe, at least. And Akaith did enjoy scouting about and watching over various members of the Qian – it was useful to have eyes everywhere, it enabled Mirage to know where she was needed, if at all. With a warm smile curving her lips, the mare entered a patient silence, anticipating some conversation to stir from within the moonlit child.

Hidden Account
ali

I was excited, as I always was, at the greeting I received from Mirage and that Tallis was recognized by Akaith. I smiled up at the mare when she said she was happy to see me. "I'm glad to see you, too." I say, my smile growing. I really was happy to see Mirage. I felt like she understood me more than my parents and my brother did because we both shared the same love for the moon. My parents could pretend to understand it, but I knew they didn't. Cyrus tried to understand, but he was so smitten with the sun he just couldn't see just how good the moon was and he was blinded by the hardships the sun put everyone through.

I nodded when Mirage asked if I had been keeping cool. "Mother and father moved our family to the Foothills." I explained. "There's a waterfall there and the water's really cool." It was one of the things I liked the most about the Foothills. "You and Akaith should come swimming with me and Tallis one day." I suggested, my excitement at the idea was plainly obvious in my voice. "It'll be fun!"

The happiness and sheer innocence of the filly warmed Mirage, she couldn’t help but be infected by the same contagious emotions. She had wondered at Akaith’s pull on the filly that day she fell at the Heart, that day which had crossed her mind more than once in the passing days, weeks, months. But the golden dragon seemed to detect the hidden strength in Aylin’s character, the same strength that the entire Qian embodied; Mirage was glad to be able to call the little flicka a friend and comrade, even if many years separated them.

Ears tilted forwards to ensure the words she spoke were captured properly, and the inky mare nodded her tiara in understanding. “A wise choice by your parents; the Foothills are a strong herd.” A smile crimped her lips. “Be sure to give my brothers as much affection as you can spare.” To have the filly constantly chasing the large stallions around brought a comical image to the mare’s mind, though she knew that her brothers would adore having Aylin’s company as much as she did; they had easily welcomed her as a little sister, and it was without question that they would place their lives on the line for her should danger ever arise.

“A swim?” The mare questioned, tilting her vision to the sky as if asking the crescent shaped celestial form of the Moon herself. Her smile changed into a playful smirk, and gently she bumped her nose upon the filly’s growing nape and trotted a circle about her, nape arched and tail raised, paying homage to the Arabian-esque lineage her bloodlines boasted. “Perhaps after a game of tag?” There was a challenge to her voice, a taunt, teasing note that bore the mark of friendship; but even deeper than that; kinship.

Hidden Account
ali

I nodded my agreement as Mirage said that the Foothills were a wise choice by my parents. It really was. The heat of the endless Tallsun hadn't yet begun to kill every plant there. The herd thrived and survived. I liked the Foothills even if it wasn't the land that the moon governed. Personally, I would have loved to live in the Edge, but I knew that my mother and my brother would not be allowed and my father would not live anywhere without them. Neither would I. I loved them all too much.

"I will." I said, smiling widely when Mirage said to give her brothers affection. "Your sister was right. They do like to be cuddled." And chased around the Foothills by a foal that was only knee-high to them. They may not have been related to my but I loved them as if they were, just as I loved Mirage and her Akaith and her sister, Rishima. We were all family. All children of the Moon.

Mirage repeated my offer of swimming in the Foothills and I nodded. The offer of a game of tag had me smiling again. "Okay! But you're it!" I cried before turning and running away from Mirage as quickly as my legs could carry me.

As strong as the Foothills were, and as welcome Mirage knew herself to be there, she knew that path was right for some, but not for her. Ambition had changed the mare, as well as others placing their faith in her, she could not lead her beloved Qian and feel like she was borrowing land, she could not challenge one whom she considered a friend for the throne of the land – there was little she could do, without knowing the full repercussions of her actions. This blasted drought was evidence enough of that – Mirage would seek counsel, once again, from the powers above, to ensure her desired path would not end up in ruining the world for everyone else.

But who knew how long it would take for such things to come to pass, surely this dreaded TallSun had gone on long enough – hadn’t the Gods of Earth and Moon said it would come to pass? It didn’t feel like it right now. But the Foothills had been spared, their water source was secure, their leaders strong and fair – yes, if there was anywhere Mirage wanted those of her kin to stay, it would likely be with them. Then again, the lands of the Throat were comfortable enough when they weren’t being roasted in this drought. Mirage’s parents and brothers had lived in a desert before, a land that was once a forest, that collapsed from a harsh fire – years later the forest had regrown, and Mirage had aided them then.

Thinking about homes made her restless – it was good that Aylin inspired such energetic actions within her, she could expend these restless feelings in positive ways such as play, instead of brooding on them, and allowing the ideas to turn rotten within her. A playful nicker laughed from her maw, as with ease she followed the little cherubic fae, Akaith taking to the skies to perform aerodynamic motions with the orange Tallis. Throwing her elegant tiara about, the mare entered a long, extended trot after the filly, her athletic build amplified by the movement. Chiselled tiara leaned down low as she tried to tug upon the flicka’s tail, but she was wary to dodge any overly playful kicks the moonlit belle might throw in.

Hidden Account
ali

Above us Tallis had taken to the sky to fly with Mirage's queen, Akaith. I paid them little mind, however, being more focused on running and staying ahead of Mirage, but the mare's strides were long and she was soon catching up to me. I dodged left and right but was careful not to throw any kicks Mirage's way like I would have if my brother or father or even Mirage's brothers had been chasing me.

Embarrassingly enough, I squealed when Mirage grabbed hold of my tail. I thought I had been doing good, staying ahead of her and dodging her. My running came to a stop and I waited for the mare to let my tail go so I could become the one doing the chasing. When she finally did let go I waited to give her a head start before finally turning around and tearing across the ground after her. My legs pumped as fast as they could to propel me after the dark mare.

Tallis swooped down low and flew next to me, trilling a taunt before he took to the sky again. I glanced up at him and snorted, but continued to race after Mirage. When I was close enough to her I began nipping at her tail, hoping to catch even just a few strands between my teeth and declare her as 'it'.