the Rift

Down With the Enterprise [Ophelia, Open]

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

Anger, frustration, apprehension, anguish; Xanthos was feeling the painful knife of each and every one of them as he left the Foothills behind him, headed directly south from the mare's beloved homeland. Albeit faint, there was a scent, Romani's very own that he swore he would never forget. It was unsettling to have picked up on a second as well, one that was unknown to him. Hopefully, whoever it was, had brought no harm upon Romani.

At a brisk pace he passed through the Threshold, keeping an ever watchful eye on the young cub trotting along at his side. Azel was doing his best to keep up, but whenever Xanthos would lose himself in his thoughts and perhaps go a little too quick, the cheetah would let loose a rather pathetic chirp to alert him so. The grullo would slow immediately, however, and allow adequate time for the cub to catch up or pause, to rest himself a moment. "Poor thing," the stallion thought to himself, producing an inward sigh. He might have left the cub in the care of the Foothills, as there was simply no time to get back to the Edge, but he knew too little of those residing there to feel comfortable with it quite yet.

Looking ahead, the grullo settled his attention back on the task at hand. By now, he was entering the deepest part of the forest, where the palomino's scent seemed to scatter off in an array of directions. Was she even still here? Was she safe, as well as their unborn child?

"Romani!" He called out from where he stood, black ears flickering to catch any sort of hint that he was not alone. There was an undeniable waver in his voice, expressing his simple desire to have his mate back, to have a constant that had never been so, back. "Please... Are you there?"

[ooc - For Ophelia first, then open.]

talk talk talk

If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia took a deep breath, and she decided that sleep was in order. The time between wakefulness and dreaming was one of peace, and after many dramas, she needed a brief reprieve. Certainly she was allowed sleep, even with the ever looming cloud of invasion bubbling overhead? Tinek seemed to agree, and he curled up on a tree branch, snoring puffs of white clouds. Carefully, she leaned her alabaster side against the trunk and allowed her strange, dual colored eyes to close.

Instead of peaceful sleep, nightmares of her past raced across the inside of her eyelids. A grimace crunched her features together, and her skin danced at her side without impetus. She wondered if Romani was fairing well. Ever since her capture, Ophelia could not shake the knot that formed in her gut. Something about taking a mare who was with child seemed rather sick, but what choice did they have. Her father's words rang in her mind. You always have a choice. Damn him. He was right. Ophelia could have allowed the pregnant mare a chance to leave, but would she fight for her land?

She churned. A deep, male voice called through the woods, and she furrowed her brows, waking from slumber. Ophelia stared through cracked eyes, not recognizing the tenor from her memories. What stranger is this? The first to arrive on the scene was a white tiger cub that she knew to belong to Romani. So the stallion following must be her mate. The white mare frowned and then leaned up, slowly walking to greet the stranger.

He was a handsome unicorn with eyes that reminded her of a snake, and she was instantly curious. A unicorn with an equine from the Foothills was not a traditional pairing, and not with such a dangerous looking one either. Something about the oddness of the two brought joy to her heart, and she smiled politely. "I am Ophelia,"
she introduced, strange, dual colored eyes meeting his. "Romani is in my care right now, and I assure you that she is safe. The Grey is planning an invasion, and I wanted to make sure that she was out of the way. As soon as the first push is made, I will release her into your care." Ophelia hoped that those words would satisfy him.

OPHELIA
Faith shattered and decays as frosted blood flows in my veins

sdrcow @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

It did not take long for the grullo to receive an answer. But instead of the familiar tone of his love, there was a different one, one that he found himself unable to recognize. By now he'd come to a stop, and only a second later did his eyes find the pale form of the stranger stepping out before him.

She was a unicorn like himself, standing near his own height, and had eyes unlike any he'd seen before. The crimson staining of her mane stood boldly against her snowy pelt, this mare called Ophelia, and although she would never match the way he felt towards Romani, she was beautiful. But there were much bigger things at hand at the moment, and the grullo was quick to snap back to the reason he was here in the first place.

"Xanthos," he spoke up in return to her introduction, his golden eyes regarding her carefully as she went on. She guaranteed that Romani was indeed safe, but where was she? An ear cocked at the mention of an invasion, undoubtedly on the beloved Foothills that his mate called home, but he hadn't a clue what The Grey was. Many questions flitted through his mind, but for now, he would keep them simple.

Taking a deep breath, Xanthos then exhaled slowly, doing his best to keep his racing heart calm. Fighting was not something he wished to do, and he would remain diplomatic for as long as he could. "If I am able, I would like to have her now," he explained, "As I'm sure you've noticed, she is in child, and I simply wish to bring her to the Edge with me. Romani may be headstrong, but she wouldn't dare put herself in the throngs of an invasion in her current condition."

For a moment, the grullo paused, as if allowing his words to sink in for a moment. At his feet, Azel looked on at the pale mare with curiosity in his eyes. The cub remained quiet, however, as if knowing the importance of what was going on. Letting out another even breath, Xanthos met Ophelia's eyes, a pleading in his own. "Please." There was no doubt that this was all that he wanted, to finally have the palomino back, to finally settle with her and raise their child.

talk talk talk

If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia could not deny that he was handsome, but she would never stand between lovers. Just as she had rendered herself invisible on the beach that day, watching Osiris and the silver pegasus, the mare would forever forgo the nature of her own heart to the love of others. However, the simple appreciation of the stallion's nature was not nearly as dramatic as her past. For as strange as her eyes were, she could not deny that there was a kinship between them in that area. The orbs that set in his sockets reminded her of a snake, yellowish gold with slits the widened.

He introduced himself as Xanthos, and she dipped her head in acknowledgement, feeling her gut churn as she spoke of Romani. Guilt. Guilt plagued her, but she was torn. Ophelia knew that she was doing right by her family and their needs, but at what price? How much longer could she turn the other cheek to the damage that would lay in their wake? As he continued to speak, words following a deep breath, she grimaced. The dangers of this choice may haunt her steps. Romani was very pregnant, most likely due at any point. Even if she took time to recover, Ophelia knew that the strong and bold mare could easily return to fight them for the Foothills. Could she take Xanthos at his word?

The alabaster mare shifted uncomfortably on her cloven hooves, frowning slightly. She winced when he asked please. A torn expression crossed her features, and she carefully met his gaze. "You understand my predicament. If Romani foals and chooses to fight, I would feel... not only responsible for her but for my herd as well." Ophelia snorted a little, turned her gaze away. "I... If you can promise me that you two will remain out of the invasion, then I will gladly release her into your care. Never was it my intention to separate families - only to protect and properly provide for mine."

Ophelia finally nodded. "All right. Go. She is no longer under my protection."

COME TO ME
we run away forever from this misery

tangled-stock | Salsola stock

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!