the Rift

a fragile line [ktulu, grey]

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil
Psyche</style></style>

The victor will never be asked if he told the truth.

Once upon a time long, long ago, a filly was born to a crimson king and grew up to bear his lineage with pride. That filly learned the importance of pure, unicorn blood at a young age. She was told that she was above everyone else because of the horn on her head that she wore like a crown, and she grew into a skilled young murderess, cold-blooded like her father, though she did not bear his bloody mark upon her hide. That mare would never had extended an offer of assistance to those she so clearly thought beneath her. No, that mare would have sat on her tall, iron throne and laughed at the bloodshed that ensued. She would not have cared who won the battles to come, instead reveling in the fact that impure blood would be spilled. The fewer the better, she would have thought, and then she would have thought no more about it.

The Dark Empress was no longer that mare.

Her maturity had come under forced circumstances, a situation that she had never imagined herself in. She had emerged from the FrostHeart's disappearance with a title and an adjusted personality that, if anything, made her even more dangerous than before. Where before she would have shown her hatred openly, cared very little if she offended anyone with her beliefs and customs, she had now learned diplomacy. Rather than shunning those in her lands that did not share in her racism, she welcomed all with a horn because it would add to her numbers. Rather than belittling those she found irritating or stupid, she strove to make them welcome, since happy herds would be all the more willing to defend their herd land. Yes, she had changed much, the shadow-mare had, though her core beliefs had never swayed.

And so when the rash of attempted thievery appeared in the Foothills, her interest was piqued, as it could only benefit her to know the goings-on of her neighbors, and when she found out that the Grey was behind it all, she was even more curious. There was an end game, she knew there was. After all, was she not just as conniving and manipulative than any of the mercenaries? Groups so large did not do things for no reason. She remembered Ophelia, for they had met now several times, and she had even grown to respect the soft-spoken ivory fae. She had held herself with grace and poise each time the shade had addressed her, but she was not soft. No, the Lady of the Basin could tell that the femme had a quality about her than could make her quite dangerous, though she would be hard-put to name it. As for her organization, Psyche had maintained an interest in the Grey. After all, the Basin was forbidden from creating alliances - if they should ever need help, they would have to buy it.

With that in mind, she had been careful not to fray their limited relationship with the mercenary band. When that stupid bumbling draft had stumbled into her lands, she had sent her away with a simple warning, all because Ophelia was there. The meeting may not have been sanctioned by the Grey, but why threaten one that had once been theirs? Again, she was forced to consider how much she had changed when she allowed Tor to walk away unscathed. And she seemed the better for the changes. She was certainly more stable in her leadership. She hoped that it would also assist her as she ventured forth to offer assistance rather than ask for help. What the Grey was after, she was still unsure - but would it not be easier to accomplish their means without having to guard their prisoners? It was a doubly positive arrangement, as far as she could see. The Grey would be free to do whatever it was that they had planned (after all, it didn't really concern her), and the Basin (or, rather, the Plague) would gain some wonderful new playtoys. What could go wrong?

Besides, if she helped, they would owe her.

"Talk talk talk."

Image Credits
[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
Ktulu
the Constrictor
ideas are the bombs in your mind, a fissure in time
if you don't have a weapon you can't have mine

As the days dragged on Ktulu was becoming restless and in her restlessness she became easily irritated. Now, more than ever, she found herself preferring time alone and only accepted her sister, son, or companion as company. Eytan was growing ever larger and was easing out of his playful ways, much to Ktulu's relief. He now was able to move carefully and quietly through the forest, he was less conspicuous when he saw someone that didn't belong. She worried less about him being caught by someone she didn't know and didn't trust. Along with his improved stealth he had learned to use his claws and teeth to his advantage. More often than not it was when he was hunting for his own meals but there were times when Ktulu had trained with him. There were several cuts on her legs, healed and healing, that were testament to his growing strength.

The bear had gone off on his own, leaving his bonded to calm her nerves and mind as future events played through her mind. He felt her tension, even meters away, and wished he could sooth her, but there was little he could do other than allow her the time alone that she required. Unfortunately for his bonded today would be a day where her alone time would be interrupted. He detected someone who did not belong and immediately alerted Ktulu through the bond that they shared. Images of the dark mare, who he thought looked strikingly similar to his bonded, were sent to her.

Upon her mental command he stuck to the shadows, but continued to watch the new mare's every move. It seemed like a lifetime of waiting to him when in reality it was only minutes before his bonded arrived. Ktulu passed by him, flicking her tail so it brushed against his coat in a manner that was meant to placate him. The bear stood and watched as she never stopped in her approach on the other mare.

"Why are you here?" She asked point blank as she emerged from the trees. After her question had been spoken the mare finally came to a stand still, facing the one and only Dark Empress of the Basin. She was a mare that Ktulu had never met before, but rumors spread quickly as everyone liked to talk and gossip. In the forest Eytan remained poised for an attack should Psyche choose to be foolish.

Image Credits

Icon by Tay

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud
Code:

The Spy</style>

Drop past the color; come up through the summer rain.</style>

It was month ago, that a small group of the Grey had visited the newly formed Aurora Basin...Rafe, Tor, and...some brightly coloured pegasus who Phaedra had never bothered learning the name of. They had offered their skills in gaining back Psyche, who had been stolen at the time. How simply fascinating that she had turned up now. Although Phae had never met the mare, Tolio had told her plenty - enough that the sight of her unmarred black pelt and feathered adornments gave her away immediately.

It was Eytan - always Eytan - who drew Phae's attention. Although the bear had grown increasingly more silent as he aged, he also had simply grown. The spy did not miss the nearly-not bear cub as he lumbered through the forest she knew so well. Following as silently as she could, although she was much less coordinated in her cursed and withered body, she followed Ktulu until Psyche came into view. Hesitating, Phae was uncertain how to proceed. Given her current state, she was almost no-use to Ktulu, and did not feel the need to advertise her withered state in front of an enemy, or a potential ally. She did not want The Grey to appear weak, simply on her account. Standing in the shadows, about 10 feet back where she was sure Ktulu would be aware of her, she mentally probed Stella forward.

The secretary bird, who had grown large, and even more boldly coloured, gracefully flew through between the trees, rising to sit in a branch just above Ktulu. Narrowing her black eyes, she folded her snow-white wings to her black thighs, and peered down at Ktulu. Trilling a quick note, she turned her attention to Psyche, all the while sending scattered images to her bonded.

Won't you sing to me your poetry,
Won't you take me to your home,
Won't you be for me forever
So I'll never be alone

HP: 45.5
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

OPHELIA & TINEK</style>
Heavens ablaze in our eyes, we're standing still in time
the blood on our hands is the wine, we offer a sacrifice
</style>

Ophelia approached, seeing Psyche in the distance, and she smirked. Even though the two usually ended up on opposite sides if disagreements, Ophelia admired the dark one. She was strong, forceful and somehow managed to fit in a reasonable amount of diplomacy. The mare ruled forcefully but with understanding, and after letting her and Tor go, the alabaster mare found her even more intriguing. Were Ophelia's cloven hooves in her own place, she would have done exactly the same, preserving ties where they were allowed while keeping the impression of a united herd and front. Ideal, beautiful and clever.

She assumed, perhaps correctly, that her lineage now was known, and she knew that hiding her hybrid bloodlines was foolish. Though adorned with a pearly horn and cloven hooves, her dragon gave away her mother's contribution to her birth. Tinek sailed through the air, a dangerous and beautiful silver banner of power uniting her two halves. He landed on a tree branch and grinned at the new mare with the feathers in her mane, rocking back and forth playfully. Ophelia smiled at him and then gently stepped next to Phaedra and her sister. She regarded both mares with an affectionate touch on the cheek, her gray muzzle brushing against softer fur.

Her sister had already decided to ask why the unicorn leader was here, but Ophelia, ever the diplomatic of the pair, smiled kindly. "Lady Psyche," she said with a short bow of her head. "Welcome to the Deep Forest. After our last encounter, I am pleased that you decided to come say hello." Ophelia stood quietly next to the two other mares, pleasantly intrigued by Psyche's reasons for coming. "Though I must mirror my sister's sentiments. Why are you here?" Ophelia tilted her head to the side slightly, dual colored eyes open and bright.

BG | dragon | horse

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil
Psyche</style></style>

Somehow, she had expected more.

When the once-Grey associate Tor had trespassed on her lands, the Lady of the Basin had arrived to find her surrounded by four of her own. It was impressive, in retrospect, that so many would jump to the defense of their lands, and she had experienced a large amount of pride in her herd that day. And here she was, trespassing on the lands of a mercenary band who was not necessarily known for kindness, and she was met by a lone unicorn mare and her pet bear (if the shade noticed the Pegasus mare lurking in the shadows, she did not acknowledge her presence). What a lovely reception. And so very welcoming, with her blunt, unemotional question.

Well, she was a mercenary, clearly so. Strongly built with shrewd eyes. She was very clearly comfortable here in her home land, and held herself as though she was fairly important. More interestingly, she was the spitting image of Paladin. The dark pelt, the high white socks, the pale banner, the spiral horn. If not for the fae's speech, the Empress might have mistaken her for the traitor. But no - there were differences, too. The tip of her horn was marked in red, and her mane and tail lacked the telltale bloody tips of the family. On her shoulder was a rather odd gold marking, a bear. And the half-cub, half-bear beside her was decidedly not Paladin's, something that she was thankful for, having battled him in the invasion. She would not like her odds against even a small bear, not one that belonged to a fighter.

She was about to reply when Ophelia appeared, an ivory spectre in the dark woods. The silver dragon that followed Ophelia confirmed the knowledge of their family ties. The mare's touch drew the jackal's attention to the pegasus in the shadows; however, she was quickly dismissed as irrelevant. Their group, it would seem, was growing, and she was now satisfied with their protection of their land, her respect for the group growing. Ophelia's words were more diplomatic than the Paladin look-alike's - did she call her 'sister'? Well, she shouldn't be surprised, what with their looks. They were unique, very different from one another, but each of them held distinct qualities of her bloodlines. It was odd, to approach Paladin's children in peace, but many things had become odd lately.

"Ophelia, darling," she greeted her niece with a too-sweet smile. There was no malice in it, but it was the mask she wore nonetheless. To both, she continued: "I simply must admit that I am on a trip of curiosity." There was no point in dancing around the subject, so she cut straight to the point. "My phantoms have been bringing me very interesting news. It would seem that you and your mercenaries have been on a thieving spree." There was something amused and almost teasing in her voice. "And, well, I thought to myself, they simply must have a reason behind it... not that I'm here to discuss your reasoning; quite frankly, that is none of my business. I do, however, have a proposition for you." Her weight shifted as she rested a hind leg, looking for all the world as though she were comfortably welcome and in amiable company. Such a good actress, the Dark Empress.

"Talk talk talk."

Image Credits

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit

There is trouble brewing beneath her hooves, and Lakota does not fancy it.

It is admittedly trouble that she enjoys, in a sick almost masochistic fashion. She is straining towards the goal that her mistress has set before her, eager to obey and impassioned by the idea of not only invasion but of claiming land of their own. Finally, she would be able to help give her family a home. Real borders, protection, a working system. It was everything Lakota had ever dreamed of for her wonderful little flock of bitter birds, and she was doing her damnedest to help Ktulu and Ophelia with their dream. It was a dream that hovered within the mind of every Grey member. Aodaun sensed her stir craze and shifted uneasily at her legs as they strode purposefully towards the presence felt within their borders. Shafts of weak light illuminated the flickering figures before her as they, too, moved as one towards the sole intruder. Ao is young, hardly more than a cub, and therefore his mind is spry and flighty. However as they approach, a duo tied by magic, he is calm and complacent. Lakota has sensed the importance of their guest, and will not have him crashing about. Even so his tongue is lolled out from the heat and he is shifting uneasily, but it is the best she can do through strict demand through their bond.

Phaedra was not immediately seen, and would not reveal herself so soon, but hawk-like gaze snapped immediately to the bonded within the trees. As well as she knew Phaedra, she knew Stella. Phaedra was perhaps the trickiest of her lambs to watch over, and knew every inch of her just as she knew every inch of every member within the Grey, so that she may look over them for injuries. Lakota stared hard at the bird before she was spotted by the others, desiring to be seen by her infuriating little sister before she approached the little half-circle created by the sisters. There are no others, and that makes Lakota even more on edge. Ktulu and Ophelia are her queens, and for them to approach Psyche makes her anxious. They are more than able, and can clearly protect themselves, but she finds herself snapping at them in her mind for not alerting the others. It makes her itch with the desire to chase off the other Lead, but it is an instinct driven only by awkward affection for the young girls that stand so proud beside each other.

Lean body moved forth from the shadows, Aodaun at her heels. She moves with a slinking grace similar to a large cat, listeners flickering to catch every piece of conversation. It is not her place to speak, and so her maw remains firmly closed. Instead she slips forward, bodice held high and with a strong edge to it that speaks of her warrior position. There is hardness to her violet eyes, a tension in her flesh that will never leave, for she was born a fighter, and it too was born in her. She positions herself beside Ktulu, her shoulder coming only to her commander’s side. Lakota moves no closer, Aodaun flopping to his soft stomach in the cage her legs make. She is silent, a ghost. There she remains, a statue that shudders in stone with each breath, a protector. Lakota cares not for the negotiations, but an ear is kept out to listen. She is there, always and forever, ready to protect her twins.

WE ONLY EXIST IN TERMS OF THIS CONFLICT
In the zone where black and white clash

Resurgere | Wroth

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
Ktulu
the Constrictor
ideas are the bombs in your mind, a fissure in time
if you don't have a weapon you can't have mine

The forest, which had started to come back to life, was suddenly silent again. Ktulu knew from experience that it was because there were others floating about in the forest. Members of her own, she knew, but she wondered if Psyche had brought members of her own. Why wouldn't she? It would be foolish of her to come alone, but even as that thought crossed her mind and she scanned the trees behind she saw no one. The fluttering of feathers drew Ktulu's eyes skyward where she saw the secretary bird perched on a branch. Phaedra was there. Seconds later there was more rustling as her pale sister emerged from the forest. Ktulu refrained from the tender greeting she usually gave her dear sister so as to show no weakness to the mare she already had begun to deem as untrustworthy.

The ebony and white mare remained silent as Ophelia greeted Psyche in a more cordial manner before reiterating the question she had asked. Why are you here? Teeth began to grind against one another as Psyche spoke, her voice like nails on a chalkboard in Ktulu's ears. Bloody eyes narrowed as she listened and she could not hold back the snort that erupted from her lungs as Psyche tiptoed around her reason for going to them.

"A reason." Ktulu thought as she continued to glare. "Why would we explain anything to you?" The words were barely contained as she let the mare continue her monologue. "And what proposition could you possibly have for us?" Ktulu asked. Warriors? She had warriors of her own. Ones that she trusted. How was she to know that Psyche would not try to stab her in the back by turning the tides on her in the invasion?

"I suppose you hope to save your own skin by appeasing us." She said bluntly before shifting her gaze to Ophelia. Perhaps she should allow her sister to do the talking since she was more inclined to diplomacy. The arrival of another turned Ktu's head in another direction. Her ever faithful Poisoner was at her side. The corner of her mouth tilted upward for a split second before the half grin disappeared. There was a slight nod of her head before her attention was, again, on Psyche as she waited for the mare's answer.

Image Credits

Icon by Tay

Naberius Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

N A B E R I U S

He is a self-made man and worships his creator.

Naberius had observed the stunning stygian seductress exit the Basin with extreme curiosity. He had not seen Psyche around lately, much to his disappointment, and it was by sheer coincidence that he spotted her just now. There was something about the way she left that made Abe wonder if she was indeed up to something and being the nosy prick Naberius is he couldn’t leave her to her business, he had to know. Keeping his distance from the Queen he followed her silently on her journey. Naberius knew she was a strong minx, one that could handle herself in most situations, but he got a strange feeling on this particular day that Psyche was dabbling in something rather dangerous and he wasn’t about to let her cause a ruckus without him.

Oh how Abe loved causing trouble.

It was a bit of a voyage to their destination, quiet and awkward as well, but when they arrived finally Naberius became even more intrigued by the dark woods that were obviously Psyche’s goal. What could she be searching for here? Abe mused mutely as his auburn chasms scanned the obscure forest with interest. It became apparent quickly that she was here to meet with someone when Psyche slowed, though she didn’t utter a word and merely waited. It was not long before another unicorn joined her, one of obsidian hue with contrasting alabaster stockings and tendrils. The jezebel was accompanied by a grizzly bear that, while still clearly young, was rather imposing and caused Naberius to tense. Shortly after the mistress with the bear’s arrival a pearlescent femme joined the gathering, this one attended by a dragon. This addition fascinated Naberius for it had been ages since he had come across the winged lizards. Abe had always desired to have a dragon of his own, knowing that it was not possible for he was neither equine nor equine hybrid. This put a new light on the mares standing before him, though they looked very different he still sensed that they were kin and since the second wench had a dragon that must mean they were mixed blood.

Why on earth would Psyche be consulting those she deemed lesser than she? This question was answered for him as he listened to their dialogue from the shadows, staying out of sight of all three of them. Psyche was seeking their help, and from the way she spoke it seemed that she knew exactly what she was doing, though Abe hardly doubted her in the first place. As he stood watch two more scents reached his nares of which belonged to creatures he could not see, setting him on edge. One smelled familiar, though not of the Basin, and Abe scanned the trees for any hints to their whereabouts.Then the blue roan harlot he had encountered once before emerges to stand next to the darker mare and Abe snorts. Naberius never did enjoy her presence and he began to get slightly eager at the thought of putting the stupid bitch in her place, forever silenced beneath his pistons. Now he was thankful he had come, the other party was far more prepared for this encounter than Psyche had been and Naberius began to think they had malicious intent. However Abe would not reveal himself until absolutely necessary. The first sign that things were going to turn violent and Naberius would bound from the cloak of the shade and make them wish they’d never tried to inflict pain on the Dark Empress. Naberius was a warrior of the Basin, a warlord of his previous home, and he would make them regret ever leaving their mother’s innocuous womb if they so much as laid a hoof on Psyche.

{ ooc: Posting with Rayo's permission, Psyche needs some friends too ha ha :D }

image by elope/ladyfey.deviantart
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

OPHELIA & TINEK</style>
Heavens ablaze in our eyes, we're standing still in time
the blood on our hands is the wine, we offer a sacrifice
</style>

Ophelia had about as much trust for the dark colored mare with the feathers as much as she now trusted the Sun God. She respected the deity for his strength and power, but she would not be returning for his aide anytime soon. Still, her position of power and large numbers behind her had to be respected. She watched as another approached, and she recognized the mare as Lakota, however the appearance of another stallion, painted, was a curious encounter. Ophelia smiled politely at the stranger and dipped her head. Then, her attention returned fully to Psyche and her words.

Ever diplomatic, she did not ask for reasons, only to give a proposition. Ktulu's response was less than cordial, and Ophelia gave her sister a small, tight smile. She chuckled a little to lessen the tension. "Not that your herd was ever in our sights for any reason," Ophelia clarified. "Though from what I have seen of the location, your land is stunning - pristine. I often which that the places of our hooves were exchanged in various circumstances. However, that is beside the point."

The mare with the dual colored eyes shifted her weight onto a cloven hoof, ever finding the irony in the fact that her impure blood displayed more purity than most true unicorns. Ophelia smiled politely again. "Well, your phantoms have done their job well. The Grey has taken quite a few prisoners as of late in preparation for a future invasion." The alabaster mare raised a brow. "What does your proposition and our prisoners have to do with each other?" she asked curiously. Romani had already been released, leaving only Madryn, Maskan, Willow and Insanity in their possession.

BG | dragon | horse

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil
Psyche</style></style>

"I suppose you hope to save your own skin by appeasing us," Ktulu said bluntly, and the shadow-mare raised her brows, repressing the urge to smile. She may not have known the numbers of the Grey, but she did know her own numbers, which were admittedly rather large. From what she had seen, her herd rivaled even the Throat, and they had been known to be the largest prior to the formation of the Basin, hadn't they? Well, it would be silly of them to attack one of the largest herds, wouldn't it? But before she had a chance to reply, Ophelia was speaking once more. For a moment, the jackal mused at just how different the two sisters were; what had differed in their upbringing that they had turned out so differently? Or was it simply the masks they chose to wear, just like her neutral, innocent gaze was a facade?

The pale mare continued Ktulu's statement by declaring an avoidance of the Basin lands (not that the Dark Empress trusted her word, not now, not when they were so clearly brewing up a storm), though she took her time to praise its beauty. She felt the now-familiar surge of pride in her land and her herd, and as always it was accompanied by a brief moment of wonder at how far they had come - how far she had come. Once she would not have considered treating with the two sisters before her, obviously hybrids, obviously her tainted nieces. Once, she might have decided to attack one side or the other simply because she could. And yet here she stood, one hind leg cocked in a relaxed posture, taking insults from the dark one while the light one played at politics.

Ophelia admitted to an impending invasion readily enough, and the Lady's mind raced through the possibilities. Of course, it made perfect sense that the Grey would invade - they were obviously growing, and the Deep Forest was no home for a herd. But who? She doubted that they would risk battling the Basin or the Throat, for surely they did not have that many members. And what of the Edge? She had heard little from them in the seasons since they had ousted the unicorns from their home. She made a mental note to ask Faelene about their recent actions, and the thought sparks a memory. Hadn't she said that the Foothills' leadership was in disarray?

She eyed the twins, cocking her head to the side, a thoughtful expression on her face. It really made no matter where they attacked, so long as it was not the Basin. Regardless, her mission was the same. "Well, darling, I've come to offer guards. Call it a peace offering, if you will. My soldiers will guard your prisoners, and your fighters will be free to invade at will." She smiled. "I'm not asking for anything in return, mind - but it's a win-win situation, my dears. I will take your prisoners off your hooves, you won't have to worry about them, and you'll be free to settle into your new home without a second thought."

"Talk talk talk."

Image Credits