the Rift

p.t.s.d [open]

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

Anger. Excitement. Regret. Pleasure. Sadness. Amusement.

I cycle through these emotions, one at a time. They come in waves, the negative hitting me like a kick to the gut, so powerful that at times I must turn from those prying eyes of my daughter, hide my face until I can replace the pleasant mask that I live behind. In stark contrast, the positive emotions wash over me like a cleansing rain, running through my veins, cooling the flames left by my pain and suffering. But it never lasts, it always shifts, changes, morphs into something unknown. I find no solace, not even in sleep, for she haunts my dreams, my lost Diniel, her icy blue eyes seeming to call for my help, her tiny, ivory bodice forever out of my reach. I run after her, I call for her, but every time she fades into the distance, lost to me forever.

In my waking hours, I throw my energy into caring for my Skysong. She has quickly become an obsession, the tiny amber-pink creature. She is my life, my world, everything that I do begins and ends with her. She is the one thing that can get through the nothingness that I have come to feel, her inquiring eyes and lighthearted laughter a drug for my lingering ailment. I have never been one to hold onto negativity, but the pain of losing a child is simply unshakeable, and I find myself drowning in darkness. But Skyson has become my light, particularly with the scarcity of her father. I cannot blame Note - I know that he is busy, that he has others demanding his time. But I cannot help but miss him, long for him in this difficult time.

Today I have taken my daughter to the beach. It is a normal enough day - hot, as Tallsun requires, without even a breath of a breeze. My decision to visit the water was one made to deter the advance of the heat. And Skysong has yet to see such a vast expanse. It will be amusing, I know, to watch her galavant through the shallows, ever under my too-watchful eye. I know the dangers of the world and she does not; it is my duty to protect her. The sea stretches before us, clear and blue and flat. It meets the golden sand with a gentle lapping sound, not the crashing of waves that usually accompanied the ocean. Odd as it is, the sea does not seem to have a breeze gusting today. I am disappointed, having hoped that such a wind would cool us off. It seems that we will have to enter the water to experience that relief.

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia
Don't wanna leave this life knowing I barely tried...
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Skysong Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Skysong

You are used to warmth, but you are not used to heat. It is, however, all that you have known in your world, and so it is not as unpleasant for you as it is for Mother. She is leading you somewhere, and you are excited. I can see your stubby tail wiggling, can watch as you cavort and romp and play, trotting alongside Mother one moment and jumping toward a lizard the next. You kick up your heels, sometimes running ahead, but never too far before you remember that you are alone, and you scamper back to Mother. You stick close for but a moment, and then you are off again. For the first few days, Mother tried to follow you, tried to keep up with your antics. But by now she has figured out that you aren't going to stray very far from her side. Not yet, anyway.

I wonder what she would have done if she had the pair of us. But that is neither here nor there.

The sea is calm, when you arrive, and I chuckle as your eyes grow wide. You don't know what to make of such a large body of water, nor do you have a clue what to call it. You have begun to pick up bits and pieces of conversation, though you are not yet very skilled at replicating words. Instead, the noises that you produce are squeals and snorts. Mother finds them endearing, and I'm sure Father would too, if he were around. I wonder where he is now, if he is keeping you safe as he has promised. I can only do so much to watch over you.

Your spindly legs begin to move now, cautiously at first. You are hiding behind mother as she walks lazily down the beach. The sun and the heat press down on you, and you watch the waves as the lap softly at the shoreline. Mother knows that it is safe to swim here, especially on a day like today when the currents are so still. You trot a few steps towards the water, dance backwards, back to Mother's side. You're not very used to your hooves yet, though, and you slip, stumbling a few paces; you leap into a canter back to Mother's side, almost as if to insist that you hadn't just almost fallen. A few moments later, you prance away again, this time to the water's edge.

You halt, staring at it with interest. Your front legs spread wide as you dip your little cranium to the water, snort as it tickles your maw. You make an amusing picture, your rump up in the air, your tiny wings half-spread. If I could, I would run up behind you and bump you forward to splash face-first into the water. But fate had other plans for us, I'm afraid. You pick up a hoof, daintily dab at the water's surface; when it parts, you squeal with glee, half-rearing before lunging into the shallows. Your laughter is infectious, and I see Mother smile from the shore as you splash around, drenching yourself. It cools you down, and for the first time you begin to understand the concept of temperature. You are pleased with yourself, and you return to Mother proudly, as though to say, "Look at me, look what I've done!"

"Talk talk talk."

Note Posts: 183
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.3hh :: 6 years Buff: NOVICE
Sabel :: Iberian Lynx :: Stormcall bry

Note & Sabel
Long and thin hawk-like wings slice through the air, a soft whistling heard as they did so. The dusty bay was no stranger to flight, though the lynx kitten that resided on his back was. Sabel's surprisingly sharp claws dug into Note's skin as he flew, panicked emotions flowing from the kitten. Note wanted more than anything to land, to soothe the feelings that he was experiencing. But he knew better. Those weren't his emotions, they were hers. He was a pegasus and he would fly and Sabel would just have to get used to it.

Note's sharp green eyes surveyed the oasis, but couldn't see the sparkling white coat of Sohalia or the light amber one of Skysong. He had found time in his busy life to do something he wanted to do; Note wanted to see his mate and child, so he saw no disadvantages in not seeing them, except the flight to the Dragon's Throat. Flying wasn't all that bad, it was Sabel's panicky feelings about flight that made the activity so dreadful. He could feel her ache, her longing for the ground, and it made him want to cut off his wings so he'd never have to have the temptations of flight around him again. It was amazing how influential the kitten was on Note.

As the stallion neared the beach, excitement started to stir in him. The glistening white coat of Sohalia was accompanied by a light amber one, no doubt Skysong. He had missed them more than anything. A confused Sabel started to pick up on his emotions, as she nipped at his withers, begging Note for more attention. But today was not a day where he would center his activities around the lynx kitten. Note had the eyes, so his say in everything would be final.

The dusty bay tucked his wings, hoping that no one had spotted his scar from the ground below, and landed firmly on the beach a few feet away from Sohalia and Skysong. He whinnied a greeting to them, his eyes shining with delight at the sight of them happy and healthy. Seeing Skysong in particular kept his mind at ease, for the thought of her ending up like her sister was sickening. Sabel, wanting the attention to be back on her once more, climbed up her bonded's crest till she was standing shakily on his poll. It was then that Note realized how scabbed and pained his withers were from her claws, so he enjoyed a moment of relaxation as the kitten stayed upon his poll, mewing her greetings as well to the new horses Note obviously favored.

[ooc: i shouldn't be taking on anymore new threads, but they need a family moment xD]

"talk talk talk"
[Image: 5123057704227]

Sohalia

I watch my daughter as she frolics in the gentle waves. Perhaps once, I would be there with her, sending up sprays of water to coat her from head to toe, laughing as she attempted to do the same. But now I can only watch, a small smile on my maw. She is adorable, and I know that I am lucky to have her. She is my world. But I cannot help but feel guilty, still, for the death of my Diniel. I cannot help but be angry, because I should have had two. I shake my head sadly, but brighten as Skysong whinnies happily. Well, at least she is having a good time, and her fear - no, that's not the right word - her wariness of the sea had me almost giggling as she darted back and forth between me and the water.

One day I will tell her that a healthy dose of fear is good for her. But for now, I am satisfied that she has overcome the nerves that she first experienced because of the water. A familiar call pulls my eyes elsewhere momentarily, and a small, soft smile spreads across my maw as I recognize Note. Skysong, too, recognizes my mate, and her pale amber pelt is a blur as she races to greet him. "Slowly!" I call belatedly, reproachfully, but she is already there, and I approach at a trot. I take in the sight of him - he looks well, and happy to see the pair of us, but balancing precariously on his poll is a new addition to our little family.

The cat is small, and clearly still young, with speckled markings on a brown pelt, blending well with my mate. Green eyes shine at me, again matching Note. I am both intrigued and delighted - but recognizing the latter emotion, guilt presses down on me. Why should I be happy when my firstborn is gone? How could I let myself be happy when she will never get that chance? I shove the thoughts out of my mind. "Hello, love," I greet him, reaching out to bump my muzzle against his. "Who is this?" My voice is friendly as I smile at the lynx.

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Unregistered

Skysong

When you hear the familiar whinny of Father, you freeze. The water calms around you as you hold your head high, spindly legs splayed comically, auds pricked. And all of a sudden, you are racing down the beach toward him, excited to see him. You don't see him enough, and your mind is too young to realize how important his rank is to protecting your safety. Perhaps you will resent him, at some point, for being away; but for now, all you know is that Father is here, you are happy to see him, and you are going to take advantage of the situation. Running through the sand is tricky, and you understand why Mother calls for you to slow down. By then, though, you have already arrived at father's feet.

He is wearing something very odd on his head, and you prance around him in circles, half-rearing, your curiosity getting the better of you. You look around for Mother, and there she is, coming swiftly toward the pair of you. You gaze at Father with bi-colored, worshipful eyes, and I can tell that you think he is simply the most wonderful being in existence. Of course you love Mother, but it is Father that you truly want to please. Your gaze returns to him and that odd, spotted thing balanced on his nape, and as Mother arrives, you realize that the thing is alive. Scampering backwards, you trip and land hard on your rear end, scramble to your feet, and run to hide beneath Mother.

Peering up at Father, you wuffle softly, take a few steps forward, curiosity still burning in you. Then, fear strikes again as you squeal and back up hurriedly, using Mother as a shield. You can't seem to decide if the thing on Father's head will hurt you or not, but after a few moments, I can see the wheels turning in your mind. Well, it's not hurting Father, you might reason. So why would it hurt me? I doubt you think in so many words - no, you are still too young for that! - but I can tell that you think it all the same.

"Talk talk talk."

Hidden Account

Note & Sabel
Note greets his daughter with soft green eyes as he gazes down at the being jumping around his hocks. He can't help but feel a pang of sadness since he knew there was supposed to be two little girls skipping around under their mother's watchful eyes on this lovely day. But there was only one.

Sabel's small claws were once again digging into Note's skin, a begging feeling pulsing from the little kitten's body, no doubt wanting to know who these new horses that her bonded seemed to care so much about were, but he ignored the kit for now to address his mate. Note felt as if something was bothering the mare, for she seemed tired. Maybe it was from keeping up with Skysong. Foals were a lot of work, especially when you're taking care one all on your own.

A small laugh escaped his dark lips as Skysong seemed to take notice of the kitten on Note's nape and started to use Sohalia as her shield. "This is Sabel, my companion. She just kind of...found me," Note smiled, savoring the feeling of Sohalia's muzzle on his own. Oh, how he missed her. But he had a timid Skysong to deal with first.

Note bent his head down to the little filly, Sabel prancing to the end of his muzzle as she opened her mouth to better scent the air and memorize the smell of these new horses. Her pale blue eyes were without sight, but still portrayed curiosity perfectly as they grazed over the new horses. "She won't hurt you," Note said reassuringly to Skysong, the little kitten still perched upon his nose.

"talk talk talk"

Sohalia

I am watching Note's eyes as he greets our sole daughter, and for a moment I think I see a shade of sadness. Of course I know that he is as devastated as I am, but he has shown so much more strength than I throughout the entire process. It is not often that I feel that I can see through his happy charade, but at this moment, I feel that he is sharing in my pain. I still cannot fathom how the one daughter emerged from the womb as healthy as can be, and yet the other emerged lifeless. It simply does not make sense to me. A part of me wants to fall to my knees, cry my fury to the gods, ask them why they would take my child from me - but I have seen the glory that is the gods, at least that of the Sun God, and I cannot bring myself to blame them.

I touch my maw to Note's shoulder, a gesture of understanding and empathy; my eyes are, for a moment, haunted, and then the emotion is gone, fleeting as they all are, these days. Note's smile goes a long way toward healing my heart, though, and I return it timidly before chuckling at our daughter's antics. She cannot seem to decide whether she is more curious or afraid, her tiny cranium poking out from beneath my belly. And Sabel, the cat perched on my mate's nape, seems just as curious. For a moment, motherly instinct flares, and I worry that the predator sees our child as a meal; but Note would not have brought her near if that were the case, and I dismiss my irrational nerves.

I watch with amusement as Note lowers his head, the kitten crawling its way onto his nose. He is clearly trying to coax Skysong out, and is probably teaching his companion that we are family at the same time. I have seen bonded ones before, though I have never had my own, and I wonder what it is like to share such an intimate bond. Still, I don't wonder enough to find out for myself, though I would imagine that a companion would be good protection for our child. I mull the thought over, wondering if perhaps Skysong ought to have a bonded friend, and if I can even make that decision for her. Probably not. As Note said, the companion found him, not the other way around.

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia

Unregistered

Skysong

You peer out from underneath Mother with a puzzled expression on your face. It seems to amuse Mother and Father, and I will admit that I chuckle to myself as well. It's really quite comical, the way your bi-colored orbs are filled with trepidation, the way your little cranium cocks to the side, showing your confusion. Your mane flops slightly to the side, though it is not nearly long enough yet to truly flow as it should. I have to wonder: if I were there, which of us would take the first tentative steps towards the creature?

Father lowers his head, the fluffy creature perched precariously on his nose. You take a hesitant step back, your little ears flipping back and forth. It's quite clear that you don't know whether you should stay or run. Your eyes bolt from the kitten to Mother to Father and back again, and you seem to take a deep breath, steadying yourself. Slowly, you take one step, and then another, and another, your nape stretching as you reached forward to sniff the little creature. If your noses touch, you will be surprised that it is cool, and perhaps slightly damp. Either way, you accept the creature.

Lanky legs take a step back as you whinny a greeting to the kitten. You paw the ground, almost as though asking it to come play with you. You prance around, tossing your head, throwing your heels to the air. Every now and then you pause, head lifted, auds pricked, waiting for the cat to come join you.

"Talk talk talk."

Hidden Account

Note & Sabel
A laugh escapes Note's dark lips, his eyes sparkling with a sense of joy in watching his little daughter that he had never really known before. Of course, Sabel was a little rascal that liked to wreak havoc on his life and occasionally do things that were classified as 'cute', but he found the kitten particularly annoying. She rarely gave him much happiness, as far as he was concerned, the kit was just another mouth for him to feed, another life to depend on him. At least Sabel would grow to be a built-in-babysitter.

Speak of the devil, the devil will appear. Sabel's little haunches lift from her bonded's nose, paws slipping and scrambling on dirt and dust of the desert as she landed on the ground to scamper off to play with Skysong, Note's feathers that stuck out from behind her ear flopping around her little head as she half-bounced, half-jogged to nip playfully at the filly's hocks. How the kit had grown in such a short time!

Note's glittering gaze shifted to Sohalia once more, his smile not daring to fade. He lifted his head back up to his normal height in one graceful, swooping motion. The bay touched his muzzle to hers in an affectionate way, unsure of what to say to her. He could ask if his little family had been doing alright in the time he hadn't seen them, but was afraid if that would annoy her, for he wouldn't want to do something like that after...the incident.

"I've missed you," the hesitant words left his mouth in a slurred, quick fashion. He wasn't sure if it was the right thing to say in such a situation, for he had never had to face on of sorts. Note was scared they were the wrong words, that they would make him seem weak or needy. But all he really wanted was to enjoy a bit time with his family. He would be there to support his daughter and mater, no matter what.

"talk talk talk"

Sohalia

[OOC | Skip Skysong. She's just running around playing with Sabel. xD]

The kitten pounces from Note's nose and scrambles through the sand, slipping and sliding this way and that. I am vaguely concerned, for a moment, and I wonder if I should call Sabel off, ask Note to bring her back. After all, the young cat has claws, and more likely than not does not quite know how to use them. But I trust him, and therefore his companion, and so long as they stay within my sight, I will not panic. After all, I have already lost one daughter - what would it matter to lose the other? Horror enters my mind as soon as the thought forms, and I am ashamed, for what kind of mother am I to care so little about the fate of my daughter? And, after all, to say that I do not care for her fate, that I would stand by idly and watch her die, well, that is clearly a lie. I would protect her with my dying breath... and yet...

Emerald orbs catch and hold my own bi-colored eyes. The smile that he sends me seems almost forced, as though he is holding the facade for me. As though he is afraid to let it slip. His muzzle brushed mine, and the familiar warmth is a bit slow to flood my veins, as though something between us is the slightest bit off. He doesn't seem to know what to say, and my gaze finds the ground as I stand in a brooding silence, my momentary amusement gone. My emotions are so fleeting, so easily changed. And I cannot help but blame him, and them, all of them who treat me like glass, as though one wrong word will cause me to shatter. Not that I'm doing much to change that view.

"I've missed you," he says softly, too quickly, and I wonder if he even means it. Anger bubbles up in me, and I bite my tongue against the accusations threatening to pass my lips. Do you? I wonder. Or is it just what you say to the grieving mother? Something to say to make up for the fact that you're not here? I am glad that my gaze has remained on the ground, for I am sure that my momentary fury would show in my eyes. Even without this, though, my pause is too long, my hesitation too marked, and I know that he will pick up on it. Doesn't he always? And he always fixes my hurts... or he always did. Can he still?

"Skysong is growing," I say finally, my voice harsher than I intend it to be, almost accusatory. I swallow the sudden lump in my throat, then soldier on. "She doesn't really know you. She knows you're her father. She idolizes the ground you walk on. But she doesn't know you." I pause. "I know that you have duties, that you're busy, but can't you... can't you just... take some time, make some time for her. She needs you. I need you."

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia

Hidden Account

Note & Sabel
There was something bothering her, that was for sure. Diniel was dead, yes, but Note had found enough strength to get on with life. He had realized this early on in his short time on Loorien. When someone dies, life goes on, the world doesn't stop to idle on the fact a life was lost. Note did grieve for his daughter, but she was gone and there was nothing anyone could do about it, so he moved on.

But Note sensed it was not just the passing of Diniel that was hurting the mare, there had to more to that story. He nodded his head slowly as Sohalia spoke, a frown creasing the bay's face. Note had been busy, yes, but he thought that had worked for them, made sense. But now it made no sense, now he had a family to care for.

"I'm tired of hurting other horses," Note spoke after a moment, his eyes partially closed. "It used to be all I knew to do, but now I see there has to be more to life than just all I've ever known. I want to see Skysong grow up by our sides. I don't ever want to miss another laugh we could've had together," Note paused, searching for the right words to say. Communication had never been his specialty.

"I am giving up my rank of Soldier at least until Skysong has reached her first year, or maybe forever, so I can be there for both of you much more," Note's eyes flickered open, watching his precious little Skysong play with Sabel. "Never again do I want to hurt another soul, physically or emotionally," the bay finishes, looking to the mare for approval of his plans. Even if she didn't approve, he wouldn't care. Note was going to be there for his family from now on.

"talk talk talk"

Sohalia

[OOC | Again, skip Skysong]

My outburst has left me mentally exhausted and somewhat ashamed. Though, to be honest, I do feel better. Perhaps this is what I needed all along, to be able to hold my mate accountable for his unavailability. Perhaps all I really needed was him by my side through the tears and the heartache. For the first time, I feel as though I really might recover, as though I might actually have more to live for that just my little amber girl frolicking by the water’s edge. I have Note, after all – don’t I?

But the little seed of doubt that has grown in my mind whispers in my ear, and I find it difficult to ignore. Do you really have him? it says nastily. Or will he simply let you think so, and then disappear? Will he wrap himself up in work again? Disappear? Even if he retires as a soldier, he’ll still want to do something, won’t he? I am troubled, that much is clear, but I shove the fear and the pain and the worry aside. For now, I have caused him enough pain. I do not need to cause more.

Perhaps it is better that I just lock my emotions away. Right now, they are scurrying into a neatly labeled box in the back of my mind. I close the lid and slowly lock them away. Perhaps I will be missing out on feeling anything at all – or perhaps I won’t. Perhaps it is the right thing to do, the better way to live life. After all, if I hold my emotions tightly to myself, it will be much harder to get hurt. All I know for sure is that I will never bear another foal. Not like this.

Skysong dances over, then prances away, but I can tell that she is beginning to tire. It has been a long day for her, a long trip in the too-warm Tallsun. And she’s been playing non-stop. I need to get her to the oasis before the silly creature collapses. ”Thank you,” I say simply, a ghost of a smile twitching the corners of my mouth upwards. I touch my nose to his gently, a shadow of a kiss. ”Shall we go home?”

"Talk talk talk."
Sohalia