the Rift

we are unafraid.

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!

My wings stretch and carry me for a few blissful moments as my body cascades over the rocky pathway leading up and up. I had traveled far and alone on this day, leaving Bear sleeping by Ktulu's side. This might be due to the fact that I have grown perhaps foolishly confident in myself. Now, this had no reflection upon my ability to interact with others, but I was growing less and less afraid of the world itself. Nature was calming, soothing, predictable, but still very surprising to my eyes. I had noticed once, many months ago, that the world was different each time I blinked, and the former world escaped from my view, leaving an entirely new place in its wake. When I consider how much of the world I miss in this strange transition, I become saddened.

I wanted to hold the world in my memory like Ophelia can. However, she had spoken often of the horrors which lurked behind her eyelids, a fair warning that I should not want so casually. There were burdens I could not understand myself, and I would not wish so ignorantly a cross that my aunt warned me she did not appreciate having to carry.

Still, as my dual colored eyes watch the slur of the gravel as it rushes underneath my hooves at my small leaps of flight, I cannot help but wonder how much I have already forgotten. How much of the world would I never know, not but lack of exposure yet by lack of attention? It was a mystery, one that frustrated me often. I found that the only thing that kept my mind from growing bitter over my own ignorance was exploration of this place called Helovia. Normally, I would have Bear by my side as a cohort, but this morning he was rather tired and grumpy when I tried to nudge him from his sleep before dawn. Bears. They certainly got temperamental with age.

The mountain path grows steadily more treacherous, and I stop my off and on flight to walk on solid bronze hooves up the slope, finding the rocks and boulders hazardous to try and fly around, even in small gliding drifts. I fold my wings and trot steadily, wanted to see where this beaten path led. There were many hoof-prints within the dirt, and the scent of the unknown clung to the rocks and small tufts of grass that tried to shoot upward past the clouds which hugged the mountain peak to reach the sun above. I imagined it was a futile effort, but I admired how the plants perked up to greet me, showing me a greener and livelier face as I stepped by. Like soldiers coming to the attention of a general, like the Grey listening in to the words of Ktulu. It was curious, but I think plants are just curious creatures.

When the line of clouds begins to close in on the path in front of me, I take a deep breath and slow my pace, eyes watching the ground carefully and one of my wings reached out to brush the side of the mountain and make sure I do not walk off a cliff unknowingly. I was better at flying since my first lesson, but I doubt I was well enough off to avoid falling to my death. The sun which gleams through my misty habitat reminds me that the world is out there waiting, and I labor onward, my head poking out of the clouded world with intense excitement as soon as I have risen high enough.

When I look around, my bi-colored eyes widen with surprise. Above the clouds, at the foot of the rocky mountain path, is a meadow more beautiful than any I had seen. Basking underneath the light of the sun, flowers of every color display their petals proudly, grasses weaving in and out with gentle breezes that rustle my hair and make me pause, dumbfounded, half standing in the clouds and half precariously perched on the edge of the path, mouth agape and wings slackened.

I had never seen a place more beautiful. Suddenly, I wish for my comrade to be at my side so that he could drink in the wondrous world as well.

[ Open for anyone who wants to thread with Toto, but I ask that it be kept to 2-3 people as I need him to stay active, and I don't want this thread collapsing. ^^ ]

HOTOTO</style>
THERE ARE DARK SHADOWS ON THE EARTH, BUTS ITS LIGHTS ARE STRONGER IN THE CONTRAST.</style>

background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com

Faelene Posts: 297
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Sica

F a e l e n e
dream in black and white

Faelene picked her where carefully along the shade of the trees, avoiding all souls, finally stealing her way out of the Basin. There was hint of a stress induced headache inflicting itself at the back of her skull and she did not feel like talking. Faelene wanted to lift her mask, and melt into the landscape. Tempting as it was to find Lena to see if she could fix or sooth her ailments, Faelene was stubborn enough not to seek the medic. Doctors asked questions, and though there was not any signs that screamed of her escapade it felt like it.

Faelene hummed to herself, a quick composure meant to hurry work of the past, and kept mind,legs moving forward. There was always something to song, to music that helped lessen her stress. When she finally broke against the white landscape that went on and on, the cold chill against her head made her feel a lot better. The Basin wasn't usually suffocating ,and she blamed herself for feeling trapped. What really do you have to fear? she asked herself, and off handily bit her lip in pause.
Death? No.
Pain? No.
Punishment? For what?
There was nothing. She did not necessarily regret her actions. Mauja she could not say, but regardless was avoiding him like the plague. Then a half smirk crept on her lips. No, she was not afraid of him. The dark cloaked maiden couldn't convince herself. It was easily justified she had seen him, but found no reason to talk. What was there to say? And if he felt the need he could find her.

The low temperature chilled her nose, causing it to slightly run. She took a deep breath, drowning her lungs with the fresh air. Black cranium tipped east, and west. The shadow could see anyone coming or going, and continued walking through the sloppy snow contemplating. Day after day had came and everything seemed fine, normal. What had happened was done, and she did not treat it any more than a dream. There were only two witnesses,not counting herself, and she did not think either had reason to tell. The red maned really did not see it being mentioned, she might even deny it at this point. She had half a mind to think nightmare would be the better word. There was the tiniest murmur it would not be so easily forgotten,pushed aside, and hidden with her strict determination to do so. Faelene reasoned, outside of Helovia, a slave, she had been placed under magic to be unable to have offspring. The last thing her owners wanted was another line of her blood so why wouldn't it remain in place? When securing her freedom she had not thought if it still worked because bearing a child was the last thing on her mind. She had always felt unworthy of the title of mother. The longer Faelene walked there was the oddest sensation that remained in her gut, even here in the wintry tundra. The Thief decided the best thing to do was ignore it, likely the messed up guilt she had started to carry. Emotions could play physical, and she blew a wary breath through her closed teeth. No, until she was sure she wouldn't be thinking about it.

The maiden continued working with the frigid breeze, and checking the horizon. Times she held the magic, playing with a long, lonely blade of dead grass in the distance, and sometimes batting at the amulets that hung at the v of her neck. The sensation made her laugh. How useless would others think her new gift? The further away she was from the Basin the lighter, and more lively she felt. Soon she was parading across the white, letting her hair fly back, and the elements of air, water, heat slide across her. Elated another laugh shot from her mouth, and she stole another long breath. The blood within her started faster by the pump of her heart, and she was greeted with the rocky outcrops in the distance. There was a mountain passage that took the sky, and the most peculiar things greeted her when she ventured to take it. So up, up she carefully went, feeling the change in the air by both elevation and heat.

The stairway seemed to be leading to heaven, but she did not know how lovely the field looked in Tallsun. About to reach it,breaking through the white haze she bumped into something that shouldn't have been there. (Thankfully her horn curved up not to get caught) So quickly hind hooves scraped on the rock, she spooked back, leaning toward the remaining mountainside. "I'm sorry," she stammered automatically, bemused and surprised by the solidness. Silver eyes narrowed, trying to see if she was mistaken, but made out the start of a tail. "I..are you alright?"She stared dumfounded, not letting herself look down while thinking she might be losing it and this had to be one hell of a place to do so.

[Image: faeleneicon.png]

Raeden Posts: 188
World's Edge Specter atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 5 Years 3Months HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Tin :: Plain Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Dressy

Rae</style>

but everything looks perfect from far away.</style>

[First time writing in 1st person...we shall seeeeeeeeee...]

I am rid of Hotaru, but for how long, I don't know. I love her to pieces but...but sometimes, I just wish she'd get a life of her own, you know? Always following me, always agreeing, always there. Can't she make friends on her own? Can't she just grow up? I had slipped away while Momma was giving Ru a bath - she always gets dirty, but I never do. I don't know where I lost Stella but...maybe the altitude was too much for her? Whatever did it, I was grateful for that too. She always sent back images to Momma if I was teasing Ru, or daring her to do things, and then Momma would scowl at me. Whatever.

The fields were beautiful, but that was not what currently held my attention. It was a pegasus, albeit an oddly colored one. How I wish that I had grown wings, instead of a stupid horn. What good was it anyways? Couldn't take you anywhere or do anything...At least mine is pretty. It's white, but in the right light it shimmers like a rainbow. Momma says it's beautiful, just like me...She tells Ru that she's beautiful, but she isn't in the way that I am. I'm beautiful like Momma - probably more beautiful actually. Or at least, I will be one day. Tossing my narrow arabian face, I can feel as my mane ripples down my back - I've been practicing this in the pool in the Deep Woods - It's really pretty when I do it. I'm practicing now, so that when I meet my handsome prince, I will already know how to be a beautiful princess, and he can take me far, far away from the stupid woods that we live in.

As I walk, I keep my sea-green gaze fixated on the pegasus, watching his movements with awe. Sighing, I once again curse my breeding, wondering why we had come out as unicorns, and not as pegasi, or as some mix? Anyways, I can see the pegasus halt somewhere in the mist. Will he come into the fields? Will he see me, and think I am beautiful? Is he a prince? I begin to trot closer, ensuring that I pick up my dainty feet in a prance, just in case he's looking. I allow my creamy mane to flow behind me, and hope that my nearly-white coat looks shiny in the light. I wonder if the grass is making it look too green...? Maybe I should stop. Maybe I shouldn't go to him; shouldn't he come to me? But what if he doesn't? Frustrated, I snort, but decide to keep going anyways. I slow when I am about 10 feet away, peering into the mist to try and see what he looks like.

It doesn't even cross my mind that I could be in danger - I have never been in danger before, but I almost want to...How can I be saved by a prince, if there's nothing to be saved from? As I stand, trying to look poised and pretty, I wonder what Ru is doing...and if she misses me yet...

<333

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

The sudden pressure from my rump was a shock, and I skitter forward uncertainly, my head peeking farther atop the clouds before I swerve my neck nimbly to look back.

She was sleek black, from what I could see with my bi-colored eyes in the clouds. Her figure was nimble, lithe, unlike the form of my own figure which was slowly yet surely becoming more and more bulky as the days passed. Androgens flowed through my body, shaping me into the stallion I would someday become when I had reached my full height. Now, however, I stood upon massively large bronze hooves compared to the stick like legs that jut from them. My flank and shoulders had begun to grow and shape, atonements to my future build. The short little mane of coarse hair grew longer with each passing day, and the ram horns which bedecked my crown were also spiraling, thickening, growing. Soon, I would be a yearling, half way grown up. It was hard to believe by the way my limbs skittered forward in childish fear just moments ago.

I had just had the confidence to travel out on my own without Bear, but now that I was faced with this company, I knew not what to do. My confidence vanished, and my eyes grow deep with worry as I flick my small tail forward toward my rump. Her voice is soothing, and I try to see her eyes behind the streak of crimson in the clouds. "I-it's alright," I gulp down after forcing my words. "I'm not hurt." I step forward, a hesitance stance, almost turning sideways with my wings clamped tight to my side, until I hear the approach of another. My dual colored eyes flash over, seeing the approach of a much more terrifying aspect than a full grown mare - a filly.

She was small, probably born but weeks ago. Her figure was delicate, painted like a slightly golden snow, and my eyes widen at the sight of her. It is not in admiration, but some relative of fear. I was not really afraid of the small girl who comes closer to my shroud in the clouds with this adult, but more frightened of having to speak with her. I did not have mother to hide behind, so I would have to rely upon my own wit to get out of this one. Unfortunately, all at once I do not feel so witty anymore. Instead, I can feel my head feeling light as each determined step of the young girl brings her closer, and I suddenly have the urge to faint. I miss mother. I miss Midas. I miss Cera. I want my family and my friend. I do not want to meet this girl who would likely be about the same as Cirrus, cruel and unusually.

I am trapped, however, between the much larger female of black and red, and the tiny little snowflake of a girl who looks toward me with something mimicking adoration... or maybe I am just delusional and it is really one of torment. I want to scream and cry, but instead I begin to hum. Like a nervous tick, my voice raises from my throat in high pitched tones of a boy, christening the air with the sound of music, a tune that sounded like what I thought would be that of a creek, if I had the ability to recreate the majestic beauty of water's song. At my feet, pebbles on the small path begin to vibrate and then bounce, my voice staying steady but the earth was not.

I did not know it yet, but I was a singer of the Earth.

HOTOTO</style>
THERE ARE DARK SHADOWS ON THE EARTH, BUTS ITS LIGHTS ARE STRONGER IN THE CONTRAST.</style>

Hidden Account
Sica

F a e l e n e
dream in black and white

Whatever she had saw slipped into the fog, but there were no cries of pain or screams of protest. The red maned dares to take another step closer, rather wanting to reach the field than stay here. If Faelene had wings she was convinced she would not feel any safer in this spot. Peering through the veil of white she is welcomed by a blue toned face that looks adorned with curled horns. There was something old and young to the visage, to the eyes that met her. It was anxiety that made him seem young, but the size of him that made her uncertain of his age.

Faelene wonders if he was more startled by her than she him. The young man finds his voice, and it was makes her think he is not an adult, but could be soon approaching that era. A nod she offers, trying to find better words. He seems torn to move forward, and she was about to ask if he really was alright. There is another guest that must catch his attention. Faelene not exactly wanting to invade his space, but prepare herself breaks out of the haze, standing beside him without smothering him. She had mind to slip by him, but the red maned didn't get far from him, she was taken by the sight as well. The filly was familiar to her eyes, while at the same time being entirely knew. Was she the same little thing that Faelene had peered by the side of a spotted Pegasus? By the coloring of the little lady, and that stance there was no mistake this was Phaedra's daughter. The mare wasn't sure what to think. They had not officially met, and she couldn't help wonder if she even knew her father. It wasn't the question to ask.

How amusing her company of youth today, and she would have laughed at fate's humor if she wasn't afraid of startling them. No, she delicately looked to the boy, and the girl. Briefly, she noticed he had a pair a wings upon him, and this made the softest lines appear above her eyes. The fact he is so quiet, so still made a gentle smile work on her lips while she titled her head to the lady. "Hello miss," she politely greets. If it gets more quiet she might start laughing. The male beside her captures her ears, and she ears his tune like a soft, lulling sound of nature itself. The mixture of the tune she notices the rocks at his large hooves are dancing. Amazed she has an unbelievable smile made by awe. "You have a few talents lad," she murmurs not to throw off the beautiful song or the boy's actions. The girl is also on the receiving end of Faelene's smile if to welcome her closer to see what the young stallion is doing.

[SORRY.]

Why is he looking at me like that? Oh Gods, is there grass in my teeth? Self consciously, I run my tongue across my budding ivories, but detect nothing. Do I have dirt on my face? If he is a prince, perhaps I have done something to offend him? Should I have bowed? Perhaps it is my horn that offends him? Or can he tell I am of mixed breeding? Damned youth! How am I supposed to know! What if he is supposed to be my prince charming, and now our fairy tale is ruined, because of my ignorance! Before I can act, the second stranger appears out of the mist. She is a unicorn like me - does she know papa? She is beautiful, in sort an untouchable sort of way. She isn't a queen...at least, I don't think she is. She's more like...more like something unrefined. I am instantly attracted to her edgy-ness, and wonder if one day, I could somehow combine being a beautiful princess, and being bad-ass at the same time.

She smiles and greets me, but before I can say anything, the maybe-prince begins to hum. As he does so, the tones wavering at first and then steadying beautifully, I notice that the ground around his hooves begin to jump and dance, as if compelled into action by his song. Now I am sure he's a prince - only prince's could have such magic; who else but a prince, would the rocks obey in such a way? I wonder if he's singing this song for me - maybe, he was so overcome by my beauty (I did prance afterall), that he is humming me a love song? I'm sure that's it, but I won't embarrass him by asking. I move a little closer now, my sea-green gaze trained on the stones at his hooves, as if mesmerized. It's amazing; maybe if he has magic, he can tell me if I do as well? My horn glows sometimes, but I don't know why. Ru's doesn't - and I can just tell that she's jealous.

I hope he never stops his song, because I don't quite know what I will do once he does - I am no princess, I am just a pretender. But I want to be. I don't want the life that I have - with Ru always following me around, and living with Momma and Auntie Kota and with Ktulu and Phi in the smelley woods. I want to be where-ever these two are from.

Image Credits

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

My eyes close and I try to escape. I imagine that the chittering at my feet is probably the laughter of my company, for truly what kind of a boy begins to hum in the face of strangers? We had not even gotten past introductions, standing on the edges of the beautiful field, and here I am, standing with my eyes closed humming the tune of the water. I wish, much like the streams I invision, that I could swirl away into a new place, far away from these faces and the stress of interaction. Why had I not brought Bear? Were he here, I would be able to face these ladies with more bravery. Instead, I am nothing but a weak boy who is still growing into his vocal chords.

At the words of the black mare, my left eye opens sheepisly to view her expression. She is smiling, faintly, as she praises my ability of the song. I think little of it. I had only started singing during my adventures with Bear, telling great boastful stories about our lives as though were were great explorers or marauders or warriors - whatever the day's game had brought. Now, before I knew it, singing had become almost a thing of comfort, like a worry stone that I run over and over to calm the nerves inside. I do not think I am all that good, but I soon realize that maybe it is not my voice she is referring to.

I follow her gaze down, toward the earth, only to see the pebbles and rocks quaking underneath us. Immediately, my voice stops, and I gasp for air, afraid that another earthquake which seemed to plague me wherever I went was coming. The air which sinks from my lungs halts, as do the rocks, which fall instantly silent as the rumbling of the earth comes to a halt. My eyes widen, looking with a frown from the ground to the black mare to the girl, feeling all the more paranoid and waiting for the crack of the earth to knock me off the side of this mountain, plummeting to my end in the world below. I was not that good at flying. I likely would be unable to catch myself. I eventually come to understand that I am not going to die and that the earth has stopped moving. At least, the literally earth.

The pounding in my chest has started again and I take a breath. The girls obviously mean me no harm, or they would have done so already. In fact, the pale girl who steps closer looks more concerned about my impression of her than what she thinks of me myself. I could just be growing arrogant with age; I hope that is not the case. "Hototo," I say, word vomit as I try to close the gap of silence. "M-my name is Hototo." I look up at the dark mare, the closest to me, with hopeful eyes that she would save me from the little filly who continues to creep closer to me. Fillies stress me out far too much. I think girls are scary, to be frank. The only mares I am really comfortable around are mother and Ophelia... Perhaps, this shadow mare would join the list if she took this nervous tension off my shoulders.

"What's your name?" I glance toward the filly as well, letting her know that she was included in my question.

HOTOTO</style>

Hidden Account
Sica

F a e l e n e
dream in black and white

Oh the woes of youth. Faelene had sorta skipped that awkward stage in her short days to later live them when she had found Helovia. Clumsy and tongue tied or too honest. The lady wasn't sure she was past those feelings, she doubted they ever entirely went away. There was always someone she didn't know, someone she hadn't talked to, something she couldn't quiet say right. The filly was young, and the male she guessed would be a boy for awhile even if he might not appear so.Silver eyes tried not to stare to much at either, especially Raeden knowing who her parents were. Faelene was curious, and felt a strange fondness, but she was also wary.

Faelene finds no offense the young miss is much more interested in the unknown demi-god. They boy had no idea how to take her compliment, in fact Faelene wondered if she had voiced it in another language. When he did notice the ground beneath, he seemed a bit terrified. Should she be worried? There was a temporary furrow cross her eyes, but nothing happened except the rocks had stopped. "I believe you make the earth move by your voice," she said, hoping he would take another breath of air, and that he wasn't pressing his knees together. He must have a mother and she rather not try to explain what had happened to her son if he passed out or something. Hoping to distract him, Faelene felt her own magic and focused on the pebble. Since it was small and she had practiced it was easy to make it come to her, hovering inches from her muzzle.

"See, I can move things if I concentrate, and something else if you two want to see," she explained, letting the rock fall down. Her dark faced smooth, relieved by hearing his chest refill. He was spitting something out though, and she felt her ears ease forward trying to catch what he had sputtered. His dual colored gaze meets hers, and he more clearly says his name. Hototo. One not to be forgotten by encounter, by his face. In his olive eyes with pitched red there was some exception, plea? Slightly puzzled she kept her face composed wanting to help the boy. "Hototo, nice to meet you. I'm Faelene," she offered, letting her sight flicker between the pair. Yes, she wanted to melt the tension but didn't know if she could accomplish that. How great a magic trick would that be? No, instead she looked to the filly, wanting to know what after all she was called too.

No fair! They both have magic - well, of course they do. They seem...they seem...ugh! So cool! Why can't I be like that? Papa is a unicorn, so I suppose that's where my magic comes from but....all it does is make my horn glow...If it does anything else, I haven't found out about it. My eyes greedily take in the movement of the pebble as Faelene levitates it. I am almost cross-eyed at one point, on the verge of hypnotizing myself, on account of how hard I'm concentrating. I sneak a glance at the prince, wondering if he is just as mesmerized as I am - But no, of course he isn't. He's a prince, dummy! I mentally remind myself - he just made the earth move; of course he wouldn't be impressed by the movement of one small pebble.

And then I realize: Of course he wouldn't be impressed by me.

Frowning, I look down at my hooves, kicking a pebble forward with one of them, for that is the only way that I can make anything move. The world is hard, I decide. There is not much that I don't know - like how to make Hototo look at me again. I just want to be someone else; is that so much to ask? My tiny muzzle darts up as Faelene offers to show us more. I nod excitedly, tussling my nearly-white mane so that it billows around me. Faelene the...the razor I decide. And Hototo the Earth Prince. Ironic, how close I came on the second one.

I focus only on Faelene, still unsure of how I should act in front of the prince. "I'm Raeden I said rather brightly, stealing a glance towards the Earth Prince to see if he was noticing me or not. But curiousity didn't last long however, as my attention diverted back to Faelene almost immediately, anxious to see what other neat tricks she could do. Maybe she could teach me? Maybe, I could live with her?

Image Credits