the Rift

Golden Girl in a White-Out World, Open

Athena2 Posts: 48
Dragon's Throat Pupil
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1hh :: 4 Years 8 Months
Adoptable

Trapped, she is trapped in this world of frozen hearts and frigid air. The mountains rise around her, imprisoning her. When she had first stepped into the snowy wonderland, led in by Faelene, Athena had not been very afraid. She trusted Faelene, and had faith in her own acting skills. Not once did she feel endangered, despite multiple run ins with the inhabitants. She couldn’t bring herself to like them, but she also was reluctant to judge and hate them. Nevertheless it was there. She hated them for keeping her there, for being caught by Psyche and forced to stay. The Basin had been a prison she had entered willingly so long ago for her quest. At that point where she was recaptured- luckily unharmed through some small misunderstandings about why she was leaving and there in the first place. But it was different now. Now, she had shackles to her ankles and a weight on her wingless spine that had not been there before. She was isolated, alone, imprisoned.

Even so she tried her best to keep a good outlook on things. Not many noticed her, being a servant. It made her cringed to be called a slave, but she could not dictate what others said. The name Ari has stuck, and she is grateful for the fact that Athena and Ari are similar and have the same letter at the beginning. In fact Ari has fallen easily into her role, watching but saying nothing. She misses Rapha, the sweet little slave she adored. He had grown on her heart, and she only wanted to show him love and affection while she was still there. Crowley and Faelene were the only two she really knew, meeting Psyche only on that fateful day. It made her feel very lonely, especially for such a homey girl like her. Conversation was what kept the ever-glowing light inside her bright, but it was hard for her to really make ‘friends’ per se at her lowered position both genetically and rank-wise. Soft sigh escaped golden maw, cloud escaping and billowing around her lips. Warm hazel eyes surveyed the washed out, colorless backdrop around her. It was not so cold in the Basin lands as it was in the Steppe, but she was used to the blistering heat of the Throat. Ari was homesick and lonely, and wished that anyone would care enough to look at someone like her, despite being a slave.

Athena</style>
  Have to stand up to be stronger</style>

image by seyyed_mostafa_zamani @ flickr.com

Lana Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

[Image: 2q8pk5f.png]

"I know a place where no one's lost,

I know a place where no one cries"

I haven't strayed far from the cave Crowley shut me in for fear of what he would do if he found I wasn't there but I had manged to come a little way out,with the cave still in view,in my blue butterfly form. Silver tips delicate blue wings and small black dots fade silver into blue. In the Basin it was quiet strange sight,to see a small, innocent butterfly living in the cold,harsh lands of the Basin although,I was barley living. When a horse my body was thinning from lack of decent food,my ebony coat was scuffed up with dirt and muck and my long silver locks were tangled ad mangled.

I was not 3 wing beats into my flight before I gladly see a familiar face.My joy at seeing the Pegasus was short lived though as I notice the shackles round her ankles. I flutter closer to her,my blue form emerging from the dark cave. I go to land the the golden Athena's soft honey color muzzle. It was all I could do to help her. I remember when she had helped me get over the nightmares of my father. I then return to flight and land a little way of. Black legs land on the ground,not making the slightest noise,before I start to transform back into a Pegasus. Just a Pegasus. I think to myself,throwing back my small beady head slightly for the magic to take place. The small blue butterfly almost disappears in a swirl of golden glitter. Long black legs replace the small twiggy legs of a butterfly,my muzzle lengths and my mane falls loosely down my neck. Wings become more solid and I feel there the kicks had taken place from Crowley,which was still quiet bruised. Black orbs focus on her,hoping she would recognize me.

"Athena?"

"Talking Talking Talking"

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Gurgh, been meaning to join this thread for ages.. sorry guys. <3

To be completely honest, what he saw, what not at all what he had expected. Slave-taking had never been part of the Edge's agenda, for with everyone already so suspicious of them, it'd just been to attract unnecessary, negative attention. And even so, to have a slave was not really something which ever crossed Mauja's mind. He was independent, and had a certain streak of paladin-type outlook on life: noble when he could, loyal, hard-working, and to force someone to stoop so low... It was not really in him, to do that to another. Detain key individuals, hold tactical prisoners, yes — but slaves? First off, he wouldn't trust them further than he could piss, and secondly, he wanted a kingdom built by tireless, diligent unicorns, where the foundation was as strong as their bones, and not upon the backs of their defeated enemies. He had always known that in victory they would have to subject the lesser to something, to keep them at bay, but enslavement bred a furious sense of injustice in the strong-willed, and was an easy way to make enemies out of your lowliest subjects. Mauja had even gone so far as to forbid the attempt to ambush members of the other two herds, to keep their fragile peace.

But times were changing, and the Aurora Basin lay in a different corner of the world where the weather was harsher and the view lesser. They lay away from most prying eyes, surrounded by thick mountains which were hard to brave in flight, with their buffeting and mountain waves, and with the size of their valley — and the rather narrow pass leading to it — it was easy to stow away incriminating evidence if someone paid a visit. Mauja had just been ambling along, however, rounded a corner on the patrol path, and stopped dead in his tracks.

Two very curious things struck him at the same time: a blue butterfly was turning into a pegasus filly, and there was a mare with a gigantic, winged tail standing just by her. Whatever name the ragged, black youngster joyfully proclaimed was lost to his ears, swallowed by the distance, and with his blue eyes masking surprise he just stared at them. What were one pegasus and one whatever-it-was doing here, in the middle of the Basin, unsupervised? What were they doing here, at all? Blinking, Mauja composed himself, not that he'd let much slip anyway; his eyes were open, curious even, swirling over the unreadable depths. Perhaps they would sense the shield lying there, or see only the shimmer like sun upon snow, the harmless, searching look matched by the relaxed stance and lack of tension in his face. Moving again, walking at a leisurely pace with his head held neutral, he came closer, and closer, trying to gauge their reaction to his approach. It didn't look like they were here for a picnic, the filly decidedly matted and thinning, and his black nose told him that they both smelled like they'd been here for a while.

Prisoners, then? Or something else? He doubted spies would be out in the open like this, to be caught by someone taking a stroll. No. There was some reason for their presence, but he didn't know what, and that irked him beyond what he'd thought was capable. For so long had he been the spider at the center of the web that being out of the loop, in his own home, felt like a shortcoming, a failure, and a blow below the belt, but he forced the emotions down. Not even a twitch crossed his face, not a crack on his expression as he wrangled the disappointment down, and a few yards off he halted, raised his head, and tilted it. "What's the pair of you doing here?" he asked in a curious voice, his tone going towards the warmer register. Since they smelled of the Basin, they weren't new here and he had no reason to raise the alarm, though he nudged Irma to be alert in case they turned out to be unicorn-eating monsters.

Alesana - A Lunatic's Lament
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Dragon's Throat Pupil
Adoptable

Surrounding her is a sea of bloodless cold, and yet she does not seek out the springs. She is a dweller of the warmth, and yet she continues to keep herself in the cold. It is her punishment, for being unable to escape. It keeps her from the emotions she does not want to accept, or even acknowledge. There are things inside her that she does not understand, for the Basin is changing her in a way that is terrifying for her to experience. So she runs from them, afraid that her nature was being twisted and destroyed in front of her eyes. Even being unable to return to her Goddess was not something that was as terrible as that. She would give up any magic if only she could remain true to herself.

Lost in thought, Athena- Ari, your name is Ari- did not notice the appearance of the delicate creature that came flying towards her for a few moments. When she did, confusion followed the small smile on her face at its appearance. How could such a fragile being live in the frost infested land of the Aurora Basin? But she smiled anyways, for the butterfly was a beautiful splash of color in the desolate landscape. As it flew off away from her muzzle she sighed softly, only for her warm hazel eyes to widen at the sight of it landing within the snow and changing, morphing into the shape of a horse. A pegasus she knew at that. Lana, her mind reminded her. The woman she had carefully helped through a nightmare with the help of Note. Ari felt as if she'd been kicked in the chest, and moved quickly forward to brush muzzles with her fellow Throat member. Neither of them smelled of the desert any longer, but her face was such a comfort. It seemed that it had been years since she had gotten down on her knees to croon to Lana, telling her everything would be okay. It mattered not that they were not the best of friends, having somebody she at least knew the name of was enough. A shaky breath escaped her, showing how shaken and relieved she was to see the young woman. "Lana! Oh Goddess it is so good to see you, little one," she breathed, checking her over for injuries that only the trained eyes of her medic status could see. The wings were foreign to her, but even she could see that they were not in the best of condition and she made a soft noise of sympathy and outrage at seeing Lana in such a dilapidated state. But nevertheless she flinched at the use of her real name and quickly shushed her. "Hush now Lana, my name has not reached their ears. I am Ari here, understand?" Voice soft and kind, eyes showing the love that seemed to be laced all throughout her insides. Keeping herself hushed so that the words she spoke would only touch the ears of her old herdmate. She had learned quickly that even the snow had ears within the Basin. Athena did not speak of her status as a slave, not wanting to sadden their reunion so soon.

The approach of another was not immediately taken note of, due to his coloring. However eventually, though far later than she normally detected others, Athena realized the movement was not that of the snow and turned warm hazel irises to lock onto his form. She did not know him, had never encountered him, and yet his form spoke of position above even Crowley. It reminded her eerily of Psyche, which made her insides turn and face wilt into a small hint of fear. Yet his approach was with curiosity and care, as if he sensed that he could very well frighten the two that were hornless. Even so she lowered her head slightly, her mottled brown eyes focusing just below his eyes. If he held such power, she would trust more in acting her part as a slave than in his kindness. Even so she positioned herself to stand between the approaching stallion and Lana. It was a slow, deliberate movement that she was not reluctant to make. If he did mean harm, she wanted the youngling to be safe, or have the time to flee. But she kept herself loose and unassuming, not wanting to appear violent. Best not to be killed, she didn't know if the stallion was acting. Lana was taller, and Athena could not shield her from view, but it was the least she could do. His soft voice spoke, almost inviting, and Athena's face crumpled as if she were about to cry. It had been so long since she had heard a kind voice, and she had only heard Lana just seconds ago. It made her feel as if she had been kicked in the stomach, reminding her that she may never be spoken to like that again if she could not escape. Cautiously her eyes met his and flickered back down to his muzzle. "We...we are your slaves, sir. I am Miss Faelene's, Ari. We aren't trying to cause trouble sir..." Softly she spoke, though she had always been one to have such a tone. Placating, hoping not to anger him, but also embracing him with the reciprocated warmth of her syllables. He had greeted her kindly, and she could not deny her ingrained gentle nature. Maybe he would not be like the others, she found herself thinking almost desperately. With that a small, slightly wary smile came to her face, an invitation.

Athena</style>

Unregistered

[Image: 2q8pk5f.png]

"I know a place where no one's lost,

I know a place where no one cries"

"Lana! Oh Goddess it is so good to see you, little one," Her voice was as kind and familar as it had been the first time I meet her, when the nightmare of Saruman had filled my mind, the images of him beating down my mother, her screams deaf to him but his laughter flooding my young mind to haunt me forever as well as the images of my mother, left to die a long, painful death alone. The thoughts stung my heart but I knew with Athena around I was safe. "Hush now Lana, my name has not reached their ears. I am Ari here, understand?" I nod, understanding why and wondering why I hadn't of done that, but thinking about it, I was tricked into coming here. I didn't know how Athena came to be here and, although curious, I wasn't going to ask.

About to speak to her, to ask if she was alright, but a stallion was soon approaching. Although he didn't come towards us in the way I had been used to around here, the danger of the place automatically made my ears flatten against the back of my skull and I take a instant step back, my eyes rolling back in fear. The stallion was painted white, decorated with black dots all over his body. Ice blue eyes watch us and yet again, a horn grows from his forehead. "What's the pair of you doing here?" My lips stay sealed, my weary eyes traveling over the stallion. I notice that Athena has placed herself between us which, in a way made me more tense. What if he hurt her whilst she was protecting me? The thought lingering in my mind. I could never forgive myself.

"We...we are your slaves, sir. I am Miss Faelene's, Ari. We aren't trying to cause trouble sir..." I watch the stallion, totally un-trusting of who he was and why he had approached us. I wanted just to run now but I couldn't simply just leave behind Athena with the Appaloosa. No, I wouldn't go. Anyway for all I knew it could be more dangerous out there then here. I make no sound, and barely any movement. My ears stayed pinned,my head raised in a defensive way and my eyes fixed on the stallion.

"Talking Talking Talking"

Ascended Helovian

He wasn't sure what it was that he had intruded upon, what it was that he had found, but the notion that they would be spies left him almost entirely — almost, for in nature, Mauja was deeply distrusting, always keeping the option that someone was about to get him open in the back of his head. It would not do to feel surprise, or pain, the day a dagger slid into the flesh of his back.

Despite his cautious approach, the softness of each step and the way he looked at them as if to say I bring no harm, they reacted by being vaguely defensive: the thin filly backed up in what seemed to be fear, the whites of her eyes visible and her ears slick to her neck. Firmly, yet slowly, the palomino mare stepped in in front of her, shielding much of the bony youngster from sight, but he could easily see her sticking out here and there like a dark lining, her head raised and almost glaring at him. He resisted the urge to arch an eyebrow at her display, and instead swept his cold-colored gaze to the older of the pair. She kept her hazel eyes downcast, but when his soft voice touched her, a change swept across her face — for half a heartbeat something in his eyes grew sharp, worried almost, but it passed quickly and left no trace. She looked very sad, and that was the only explanation he found for it, and it surprised him that he felt a stab of pity for her. Her explanation, however, did not surprise him, only the fact that she included him, indirectly, among their masters.

She claimed to belong to Faelene, and he let out a slow, thoughtful breath, not sure what to think. The dark Thief didn't strike him as the type of cavort around with a harem of slaves, but perhaps she had some ulterior motive? But what? Slowly, his eyes slid from her rather well-kept self to the thinner, more ragged-looking girl hiding behind her, and the veil of obvious distrust in her black, dull gaze. Who was her master? Surely someone with less patience and understanding, if her appearance was anything to go by. And, while it did please him, in some backwards way, that the Basin was successful enough to take slaves, it also worried him, and worried him greatly. Where did they come from, originally? If they were ever found — what would the retribution be? War? Would it come to the unveiling of the Plague, open hostilities, a conflict they were not yet ready for? With a sinking feeling of dread he realized that he would worry, endlessly, if they ever left the Basin with their lives intact.

But he couldn't tell them that — that he'd rather see the shyly smiling mare with her kind, yet wary, eyes dead than free.

"I see," he said quietly, with little inflection in his voice, for he did not know what was appropriate. The slightest of frowns creased his features, as part of him longed to return the gesture of a smile, and another part of him wondered what the hell he, the Bane, was supposed to do when confronted with slaves. As loathsome a concept he found it, he could neither release them nor try to keep them for himself, and with a silent sigh he took a step slightly forward and to the side, sweeping his crystal gaze onto the mountains surrounding them. Snow-capped, dark and formidable they guarded his home, their fortress, against the eyes who could see these two who did not belong here. Were they safe? The Basin was, perhaps, safe from others, but the Basin was not a safe place for them.

"Who does your friend.. serve?" he asked with quiet regret, something sad tinging his features as he thought, sought a path to deal with it, as the conflict raged beneath his skin. They would need to be kept — but he would not want to inflict upon them more harm than they were surely to come to anyway.

Risha - Vodiza

Dragon's Throat Pupil
Adoptable

Understanding nod tilted the cranium of the young girl, and love filled Athena's heart achingly. It was not love that one may hold for a mate, no. Athena loved Lana because they were family. At last, she had somebody to protect. Somebody to talk with, help. She was no longer alone, and together maybe they wouldn't be so helpless. Every injury she found on the ragged youth made her heart ache. If only she had been allowed to return to her Goddess! Then her magic could have helped her. Athena just wanted to hear her voice, but it wasn't to be. Perhaps she was going to, but the arrival of the icy wraith of a man stopped in its tracks any words that could have graced her ears. Athena however could not remain disappointed for long, as she had to be fully aware of her words in the stallion's presence. Should a single fact be messed up, turned around, or conflict with another, Athena could possibly be trapped. Ironically, she mused on how she technically already was. Surely there was no other way they could chain her to them like a loyal pup.

Mixed umber irises turned briefly to Lana, taking in the defensive posture, the urge to flee within her eyes. Athena's heart ached softly in her ribcage. Lana had always been fearful, even when she had first met the young pegasus, but now she had suffered far more. Gone through so much, trials she should never have faced- especially not at her current age. No youth should have that haunted look to their eyes. Yet she says and does nothing, so Athena turned her gaze once more to the stallion. He is caught in thought, silent as he watches them with eyes as blue as the sky above the Throat, but as cold and aloof as the ice around them. Briefly she realizes he is rather handsome, in both a physical and emotional sense. His aura is really what intrigues her, the emotions hard to detect yet varying in their intensity and range. Athena had discovered that she was a rather good judge of character, but he was hard to penetrate. It made her sigh inwardly. Why was it that everyone in the Basin seemed to have frozen over along with their land? They had created barriers around them, skins of ice that lay above their bodies like armor. It saddened her. Her life had been nothing but love, warmth, and acceptance. Never had she been judged, bullied, or hated for her lack of wings and strange tail. Athena had the warmth of the desert within her heart that was as big as the sky above it. All she wanted to do was show them that life was not truly so cruel. That even when the world hated you, and you wanted to turn your back and become bitter and unfeeling, there was always someone who existed that didn't care about any of that. Most lost souls at that point just gave up trying to find that savior, and Athena pitied them. She wanted to show them the life she'd had. It was hard for her to hate them, when her heart still demanded that she take them to her side and whisper how important they were, how unique. It was still very likely that they would turn out the same, but Athena was helpless against her nature. She just wanted to try. And throughout all these thoughts, her eyes and face showed all of it. Never had she learned to hide her emotions or thoughts. It was why she had to focus so hard when meeting or talking to the Basin members, but the kindness with which the spotted stallion spoke had made her far too hopeful for some sort of friend. A silly thought, truly, but Athena had always been too optimistic for her own good. Perhaps they were not all so cold here?

Softly he spoke, in a way that Athena could not determine. He hid every emotions well, and it was almost difficult to feel him as a person. Snowy pillars drew him one long step forward and sideways. Well, it was long to Athena, she was awfully short and couldn't imagine having legs so impossibly long. Even if he did not return her smile, and instead seemed troubled if the frown on his face bore any meaning, Athena continued nonetheless. It wasn't a chore for her to smile. More than anything else, that was her comfort, and she wasn't going to let it go just yet. Faltered slightly when asked who Lana served. Athena blinked up at Mauja for a moment, and her tail brushed the top of the snow gently, wings fluttering in a surprisingly content fashion. Optimism and hope were dangerous things, after all. "I...I did not think to ask her, sir." Athena hated to say that, but at least she was being honest. Every word spoken so far had been between herself and the strange stallion, Athena desperate to keep Lana from talking. Not for fear that the pegasus would say something wrong, but fearing that if his attention wavered from her, Lana could be targeted next. Though she did not feel any desire for harm from him, she still couldn't ignore the twinge of protectiveness within. Warm eyes turned to Lana encouragingly, wishing she would only say the bare minimum. The two could not handle a fight, even with each other.

Athena</style>

Unregistered

There was something else about the spotted stallion that seemed diffrent from the others but then he was still part sick land. He still lived her and still supported the racist Unicorns here, no doubt he was one of them just maybe not one who used violence instantly. I didn't know who this Faelene was and I was glad. I didn't want to know for she was most likely the same as all the others. Everyone here was the same. Rude, arrogant, violent and horned. The perfect description of a racist. Although I couldn't say they were all racist although there was only one horned mare here who I had met who hadn't been so. But then she had been beaten right in front of me and I could do nothing, nothing to stop it from happening.

"Who does your friend.. serve?" My ear curves forward ever so slightly before returning to it's pinned position, the tip of my ebony ear fastened to my neck. I didn't want to tell him, I didn't want him, or anyone else here, to know anything about me but then, what position was I in to disregard his question and let it lie on the shoulders of Athena? My lips curl up a little as when I see the kind smile of Athena, encouraging me to say something, but not to much, not that I needed to be stopped from talking to much.

"C..Crowley,s..sir," I say weakly, my eye's dropping to the ground. There was a burning desire to run now or turn back into the form of a butterfly. But I couldn't leave Athena. Here she was, protecting me because I couldn't do it myself. But what if she got hurt? What is the stallion suddenly turned violent and struck out at me then Athena the impact on me and ends up taking it herself? I couldn't live with the feeling of guilt if there was any sort of mark on her because of me. My heart burned just thinking about it. I look back up, the thought of Athena being hurt still burning my heart, and with a few small steps I move from behind Athena to stand next to her, my small legs shaking slightly.

"blah blah blah."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BRUSH
Ascended Helovian

She kept smiling, and he found himself unable to look upon it, focusing instead on her eyes. Why did she have to smile at him, when he had not made up his mind as to whether or not he was a threat to them? He didn't want to be one, but — it was so damn hard, to balance his life when he kept tripping all the time, never quite knowing who he was or what he was supposed to do. And it was so easy, to carefully wipe his face, craft a facade, and pretend that everything was fine. Gentle and blue his eyes sought for hers, the thinnest layer of warmth laying across them and shielding the storm beneath, the sad, frustrated confusion within his soul. He'd spent so long asking himself who were I? and trying to remember, that sometimes he forgot that he didn't know. What had once seemed natural, was now hard, but he could not fall down or let someone in on the secret that he was fractured, shattered.. that the ice was cracking ever so slowly.

What was it like, to be owned, to know that your life was not quite your own? His eyes traveled Ari's unblemished neck to the dark shadow lurking behind her, and her haunted gaze, her lackluster, ruffled coat. What was it like, to know that there was no justice, that you had no voice, that any blow landed upon you was allowed, with no consequence? Why did they accept it? "I...I did not think to ask her, sir." He'd seen the brief show of interest from the girl, the merest moment of her ears forward before they returned to lie against her neck again. Life was never easy, least of all for those who got landed in situations like these. At the encouraging, warm look she received from Ari, the found her voice, dropping a name in a weak voice and with eyes downcast. Crowley? Mauja didn't know him all that well, knew only that he was their striped, dual-horned Weaver, that he had a small hellhound pup and that he had authority enough to initiate others into the Plague, although Mauja guessed he had consulted someone first, or acted upon their orders. Mass-initiations like the one he'd witnessed were seldom spur of the moment things, although things were changing and who was he to say he knew what went on any more? He would keep pretending everything was the same until someone told him otherwise.

"I see," he said again, trying to match the image of her damaged body to the one of Crowley. Heartless, then, in his dealings with the lesser races. True to the cause. A stab of guilt, a flash of uncontrolled darkness in his eyes, and then it was gone. He had no place for such feelings. Settling his gaze upon the more relaxed Ari again he remained silent for a moment, watching her with his usual expression — open, curious, as if he judged nothing he saw but only wished to learn and know. It was warmer than it had been when he had just found them, as they both seemed harmless and he knew to bridle his tongue anyway. Much like the way the pale winter sunlight lay warm across a windless snowy landscape was he, deathly cold to the touch yet there was something warm about him. "Are you out alone, often?" Though it was stated with nothing but polite interest, and a certain innocent air, it was a question he desperately wanted to know the true answer to. Surely they were told to keep out of sight, so no one of the, ah, friendlier Basin inhabitants would grow suspicious.. so why were they out today?

Takida - Never Alone, Always Alone

Dragon's Throat Pupil
Adoptable

No smile was given in return to the one that had enough warmth to melt every inch of snow around them. Many called the desert a barren wasteland, heat that hurt and did not warm. The God of the Sun had been banished, hated, feared for many seasons. Athena had never begrudged him that, and the beauty of the Dragon's Throat was easy to find when you had lived there most of your life like she had. Icy blue irises found her own brindle, flickering in a way Athena didn't understand. Was her species making it hard for him to look at her without judgement? Then something smoothed over his face, wiping the tiny lines she had been looking over in concern. Was he troubled? First instinct was to ask, to help in any way she could. Before mouth could even form one syllable to ask the questions lingering on her tongue, warmth slowly seeped into the glacier paint of his eyes and turned them more to the light blue of a new spring day. Had Athena been born a feline, she would be purring with delight. Undaunted, the wings at her tail fluttered and swayed the long appendage happily at the warmth he was showing them. Lana, perhaps, was wiser and more mature than the older woman due to her wary nature, but trusting others had always been Athena's achilles heel.

Lana's fearful, stuttering words had Athena's face melting into a sweet, motherly face of comfort, as thick and delicate as honey. Torn between watching the interesting Mauja and the young woman she had sworn to protect and help, Athena nearly missed her shuffling uncertainly forward to stand at her side. Was she more comfortable in Mauja's presence now? Athena naively let this soothe her belly a little, and with a warm private smile just for the two of them she let her tail flicker up and twine gently around Lana's hind ankle, wings kissing the skin tenderly. She did it often enough to others, hoped idly that she wouldn't startle the femme with the motion.

Again, merely two words fall from his lips in a musing manner. Athena let him muddle through his own thoughts, just as she'd done when Lana had awoken disoriented from her nightmare. The shadow that passed over her eyes made golden ears flicker worriedly atop her cranium. One step towards him, soft face tilting to the side in curiosity and hope that he would be open enough to tell her what was gnawing so harshly at his insides. Though she may have been unfairly denied her chance at healing magic, Athena still had a softness that could mend most worries. No words spilled forth to ask directly, letting him choose to avoid the question written along her brows. Whatever it was seemed to flutter away once again, and the curiosity on his face, the open wonder and elegance, made her think of a particularly regal prince, though much younger than his adult status. It was childlike, but almost eloquent without speaking a single audible word. His next query had a soft hum echoing in her throat, and hips swayed slightly to one side as a hind leg was rested comfortably. "No...not often. I at least prefer to stay where I wander the most, I'm afraid I get awfully lost quite easily," she laughed gently, left ear flopping much like a rabbit to the side, giving her a sheepish quality. It was embarrassing, but a part of her she couldn't get rid of. Though she could track down her precious medicinal plants blind and deaf, she was hopeless with navigation. "I don't really intend to leave her, as I've just found her today. I get rather lonely, not many are as kind as you," and gratitude seeped clearly into her voice, relief apparent on her face. It was a nice change of scenery to not cower before Lana's master, as Athena had on one of her first days in the Basin. Though, she was careful not to say Lana's name, realizing it was still hidden from the spotted prince. King? She still couldn't tell, though his regal stature betrayed him no matter how kind his face appeared to her.

Athena</style>

Ascended Helovian

[ this is getting quite old and idk where Pheo is, so maybe just wrap it up/fade to black? ]

She was studying him with an intensity he wasn't quite used to. It was impossible to avoid attracting attention in a land that knew him so well, perhaps even expected things of him, but few peered at him with such scrutiny, such open eyes — perhaps others would stare at him and look for flaws, cracks in the ice to jam their horns into and pry open and lay his weakness bare.. but her eyes were so warm, as if she saw every ounce of darkness and every crack, but wished nothing more than to chase the shadows away and smooth out the scars. As the dark, the brief guilt, flashed through him, she caught on immediately. Even if he hadn't been watching her just as intently he would've seen it, the way she drew forward a step, a curious tilt to her head as if to say it's okay, you can tell me. He forced the bitterness down, the mad urge to confess it all; instead, he let his lips curl into a faint smile, letting the gesture speak some words of comfort his tongue would not. She needed not worry about him, when she had herself, and Lana, to worry for. Why concern yourself with the enemy, when you had your own people to treat?

It faded away into the open look he often wore, his black-rimmed ears politely tipped forward to listen. Strange, how at ease she seemed, how a little kindness could go such a long way. Mauja could name more than a few individuals in the Basin who would find it the height of amusement to earn some modicum of trust before shattering it all with a cruel stroke; fortunately, for the pair of them, he was not among those. There was a kind of sincerity to Mauja he didn't quite know where it came from, some deeply rooted morals and honor.. something that just existed, as much a part of him as the ice was.

But there was also something dark and horrible, something terrifying he did not speak of lest it rear its ugly head in daylight, a ruthlessness which sometimes frightened him.

Pray he wouldn't need it today. Pray he could wallow in his weakness a little longer.

Her words teased another small smile out of him, a subtle curve of his mouth, a flash of light in his eyes. She truly seemed harmless, and at the same time he couldn't help but wonder — was she? Or was her reasons for being here more sinister, a keen mind behind a naive attitude? Why had she given herself up to Faelene anyway, why did she not bear marks of slavery, of rebellion? Was her reason for being complacent something more than simple kindness? His heart thought not, but the heart is often stupid. While he would not accuse her of it, or even believe it, just yet.. he had to keep it in mind. His head turned away, slightly, at her words, gaze traveling the jagged peaks. "The Basin can be a harsh place," he murmured in a soft voice, before turning to look upon them again, once more offering that small smile. "Best make what you can of this chance, then — it's not every day you find both guide and guard in one." With Irma to alert him to unwelcome eyes it would not be hard to let them roam for a bit, enjoy the sunshine, and he could easily return them to where they had come from. No need to get lost...